Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 8, 12:07 PM
Dec 2023
basically yes. i love dragon ball. but the animation is a little bit outdated and if it was to be remade now with new animation (assuming they wont rush it like in super) it could bring new fans to the series. because the source material is great but some people from the newer generation may not like it because the animation is a little bit outdated.

the second reason is that alot of the fandom is too focused on z and alot of newcomers dident even watched dragon ball and dont want to watch it. hell, i dident watched it up until like 2016. i just thought i dont need to.

the third reason is that while i dont know if its filler because i dident read the dragon ball manga. but there are alot of boring episodes in dragon ball. more then the slice of life stuff you have in z.

but the main reason remains because the animation is too outdated in comparison to some of Z's animation that did aged very well (for the most part)

remaking dragon ball will just bring a breath of fresh air to the franchise and can make dragon ball which is popular even more popular
Mar 8, 12:34 PM

May 2019
Isn't that what Dragon Ball Kai already was ?
Mar 8, 12:50 PM

Oct 2023
tchitchouan said:

Kai was made just to redo the story arcs from Z.

I can't really imagine a good reason outside of $$$ to do a full-blown remake of the entire series. They'd have to do it all if they started at the beginning. People would complain that Z is left as is and that Kai isn't animated like this hypothetical remake would be.
Mar 8, 12:56 PM

Jun 2020
I’ve been watching og dragonball and the animation holds up really well. They only really reuse animation for the less significant fights. Some of the fillers are good because they remind u of characters that will show up again later, I say only half of the fillers have been awful which isn’t bad considering there isn’t even that much.

If it was remade today, it would be a lot different. Kid Goku probably won’t be completely naked to show his primitiveness and the iconic artstyle would be modernized.
Mar 8, 1:03 PM

Oct 2018
I am so tired of all these remake things 😭
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Mar 8, 1:20 PM

Dec 2022
Remake is bullshit bruh. Seems like all of these are getting remakes. Naruto's remake is confirmed, One Piece remake is confirmed, and now people want Dragon Ball remake. Then why not just reboot every 90s series out there. I think remakes are fine for anime not popular enough to break that "ancient" barrier, but the anime which have made that break don't need any remakes.

-Tohka is better than Kurumi. You can't change my mind. 

Mar 8, 1:22 PM

Oct 2021
I mean I would totally take a dragon ball remake over the shows we get nowadays.
Mar 8, 1:48 PM

Jan 2021
We'll have to agree to disagree on it looking "outdated". Not sure why you think it is but to me the animation of the OG series is already amazing. Its rustic look is what makes it so endearing. It looks better than most anything made today. Remakes should reserved for a garbage series that had the potential to be great but was squandered and not realized, not for an already classic series that is a 10/10.
Mar 8, 1:56 PM

Apr 2015
Reply to Phosphophyllita
I am so tired of all these remake things 😭
@Phosphophyllita 2024 is the year of remakes, and remakes of remakes lol.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Mar 8, 5:47 PM

Aug 2020
I would defo watch it but i don't think it's necessary. Still, considering they did Dragon Quest 2020 which isn't even half as popular and with Toriyama's passing it's completely possible.
Mar 8, 5:56 PM
Dec 2020
I agree. OG Dragon Ball was the best part of the entire series as well, at least imo.
Mar 9, 12:11 AM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Nah, given how bad Super was, I don't want them touch the originals.
Mar 9, 12:57 AM

Oct 2010
I think you need a pair of glasses. Anyways, a db remake would remove all the sexy scenes therefore it'll be trash. The old db was that good because it enhanced the manga material with some cool new stories and better fights, no way a remake can do that, they'll just animate the manga while cutting the "dangerous" moments, it'll look flat and bland with no personality.
Mar 9, 1:01 AM

Nov 2023
Reply to DinoNo1
Remake is bullshit bruh. Seems like all of these are getting remakes. Naruto's remake is confirmed, One Piece remake is confirmed, and now people want Dragon Ball remake. Then why not just reboot every 90s series out there. I think remakes are fine for anime not popular enough to break that "ancient" barrier, but the anime which have made that break don't need any remakes.
DinoNo1 said:
Naruto's remake is confirmed

Source? Unless you meant 4 new episodes for Naruto
Mar 9, 1:40 AM

Dec 2022
Reply to dzudoKing
DinoNo1 said:
Naruto's remake is confirmed

Source? Unless you meant 4 new episodes for Naruto
@dzudoKing Yeah, I meant those 4 episodes, should have clarified.

-Tohka is better than Kurumi. You can't change my mind. 

Mar 9, 1:11 PM
Jun 2021
>the animation is outdated
Spotted the zoomer.
>too focused on Z
USA is, but that's not the case in Europe and Latin America. Moot argument.
>hurdur FILLER
go read the manga. Seriously.
>animation is LE OUTDATED
not even trying here, are we?

0/10 bait, SAGE.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Mar 10, 5:27 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to TheMechaManiac
>the animation is outdated
Spotted the zoomer.
>too focused on Z
USA is, but that's not the case in Europe and Latin America. Moot argument.
>hurdur FILLER
go read the manga. Seriously.
>animation is LE OUTDATED
not even trying here, are we?

0/10 bait, SAGE.
@TheMechaManiac

1. im not a zoomer i'm 32. but not all zoomers are progressive idiots. only in the US. in israel zoomers now in the army fighting in gaza so your generalization of zoomers as soy boys or whatever is pathetic

2. its the case for the majority of the world. a big chunk of the fandom never watched dragon ball. deal with it

3. the animation is outdated. again. nothing to do with being zoomer or not. the animation is superb compared to 80's animation but is still inferior by today's standarts. deal with it. go watch the dragon ball daima trailer and you can get a good idea of how modern animation look if its animated by the right people. dont give me dragon ball super as an example because it was rushed. go watch dragon ball super broly and tell me its bad.

are you sure that i'm doing baiting? i think you are the one who troll here and also calling people names based on a thread on a fucking anime forum. wow you are pathetic
Mar 10, 8:05 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Complete remake and not remastered? I agree.

The remake should just feature a 100% earthling as main character and not another Saiyan, as well as proper powerscaling this time.

An half-robot woman from earth is stronger than evil emperor of the universe and legendary power up from another planet (I'm talking about DBZ of course not DBS)? Yeah right

Also, I'm tired seeing Saiyans get infinite power up like no ends.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Mar 10, 8:08 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to Rinrinka
Complete remake and not remastered? I agree.

The remake should just feature a 100% earthling as main character and not another Saiyan, as well as proper powerscaling this time.

An half-robot woman from earth is stronger than evil emperor of the universe and legendary power up from another planet (I'm talking about DBZ of course not DBS)? Yeah right

Also, I'm tired seeing Saiyans get infinite power up like no ends.
@Rinrinka

dragon ball not dragon ball z
Mar 10, 8:29 AM

Oct 2018
Reply to Videogamecoper
@TheMechaManiac

1. im not a zoomer i'm 32. but not all zoomers are progressive idiots. only in the US. in israel zoomers now in the army fighting in gaza so your generalization of zoomers as soy boys or whatever is pathetic

2. its the case for the majority of the world. a big chunk of the fandom never watched dragon ball. deal with it

3. the animation is outdated. again. nothing to do with being zoomer or not. the animation is superb compared to 80's animation but is still inferior by today's standarts. deal with it. go watch the dragon ball daima trailer and you can get a good idea of how modern animation look if its animated by the right people. dont give me dragon ball super as an example because it was rushed. go watch dragon ball super broly and tell me its bad.

are you sure that i'm doing baiting? i think you are the one who troll here and also calling people names based on a thread on a fucking anime forum. wow you are pathetic
@Videogamecoper
So defensive bro. Why are you talking about Israel and soy? lol
The animation is old, not outdated. It still looks great today. You can remake it with modern techniques, but not all modern anime techniques are better than old ones, some are used to save time or money on production. I'd rather watch the original than some hellish CGI remake. The only thing I would've said could use an enhancement is the audio quality, but apparently the broadcast audio has been found in last few years so even that isn't a problem. Speaking of audio, Bulma's seiyuu died a few years back, so they'd have to use the new one to voice Bulma.
If the majority of fans of DBZ haven't gone back to watch DB, who cares? That's their problem.
There really isn't much filler in the original DB... DBZ was much worse for that.

I don't think DB needs a remake at all, its an excellent series.
Mar 19, 6:38 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to tchitchouan
@tchitchouan

no. dragon ball kai is a shorter version of dragon ball z that cuts all filler. (even tho imo the filler in dbz is great for the most part)

i was talking about the original dragon ball series that aired in the 80's. dragon ball z does not need a remake because its animation is still breathtaking to this day but the OG dragon ball in alot of parts dident aged so well.

the difference between the og dragon ball manga to the dragon ball anime is huge and much bigger then the difference between dragon ball (z) manga to the dbz anime. yes dbz anime has more filler but the main story looks exactly like the manga. while the og dragon ball manga differs alot from the dragon ball anime.
Mar 19, 6:39 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to Alita
@Videogamecoper
So defensive bro. Why are you talking about Israel and soy? lol
The animation is old, not outdated. It still looks great today. You can remake it with modern techniques, but not all modern anime techniques are better than old ones, some are used to save time or money on production. I'd rather watch the original than some hellish CGI remake. The only thing I would've said could use an enhancement is the audio quality, but apparently the broadcast audio has been found in last few years so even that isn't a problem. Speaking of audio, Bulma's seiyuu died a few years back, so they'd have to use the new one to voice Bulma.
If the majority of fans of DBZ haven't gone back to watch DB, who cares? That's their problem.
There really isn't much filler in the original DB... DBZ was much worse for that.

I don't think DB needs a remake at all, its an excellent series.
@Alita

i dont know if you saw the new ruoruni kenshin anime. i was a fan of the old show and the manga and that new adaptation is mind blowing to me. this is exactly the treatment i want to see the OG dragon ball getting.
Mar 19, 7:56 AM

Mar 2021
Videogamecoper said:
basically yes. i love dragon ball. but the animation is a little bit outdated and if it was to be remade now with new animation (assuming they wont rush it like in super) it could bring new fans to the series. because the source material is great but some people from the newer generation may not like it because the animation is a little bit outdated.

the second reason is that alot of the fandom is too focused on z and alot of newcomers dident even watched dragon ball and dont want to watch it. hell, i dident watched it up until like 2016. i just thought i dont need to.

the third reason is that while i dont know if its filler because i dident read the dragon ball manga. but there are alot of boring episodes in dragon ball. more then the slice of life stuff you have in z.

but the main reason remains because the animation is too outdated in comparison to some of Z's animation that did aged very well (for the most part)

remaking dragon ball will just bring a breath of fresh air to the franchise and can make dragon ball which is popular even more popular

"Dragon Ball" is only out dated because it was released in the 80s. The Mona Lisa is out dated but no one is trying to remake that. Not everything needs to be remade just to appeal to a younger audience or new fans. Almost all western Fans didn't even get to view the original "Dragon Ball" series when it was released either. Hell they ended up platforming "Dragon Ball Z" on Cartoon Network before they even aired the original "Dragon Ball" series. This isn't even taking into account that "Dragon Ball Z" basically took almost a full decade for it to get Officially released in the West in the 1st place.

In the 80s, the original "Dragon Ball" series only managed to air on a few local UHF stations in the West and most of them across the US only aired the 1st episode. If one was lucky enough to live somewhere in North America they might have had the privilege to to view at most the "Pilaf Saga" which was the 1st 13 episodes in the late 80s on some random UHF station with someone working there being a huge "Japanimation" otaku at the time.

You want a condensed version of the Original Dragon ball series butchered to death to neatly fit in a series of 50 minute movies simply to remove the "boring" parts, go grab yourself a copy of the Dragon Ball movies on DVD starting with "Dragon Ball: Curse of the Blood Rubies". Yeah the story is shorten all right. But it's also completely changes what happens in the actual series. If "Dragon Ball" was to be remade today flooded with soulless CG to make it seem more modern, it would likely end being just a modern version of "Dragon Ball: Curse of the Blood Rubies" just with soulless GC. Like taking an old turd and polishing it up simply to try to make it look new.

I will argue, remaking the original "Dragon Ball" will likely not bring a breath of fresh air to the franchise. More than likely it will just end up being botched like so many other Anime remakes before, potentially tarnishing not only a classic but a beloved Anime series franchise.

For the record, I never liked "Dragon Ball Z" and ended up dropping it when it aired on cartoon network in the late 90s. Because they turned a fun Action Fantasy Adventure with a touch of comedy and perverted humor (which was the original Dragon Ball Series) and transformed it into a pseudo sci-fi macho battle shounen with the characters doing more trash talking than actual combat with "Dragon Ball Z". I literally lost interest in "Dragon Ball Z' during the Frieza Saga where they literally spent 20 episodes where it was just basically trash talking... powering up... doing no damage... rinse and repeat... for 20 freaken episodes!!!
ColourWheelMar 19, 8:12 AM
Mar 19, 8:24 AM
Mar 2024
Reply to ColourWheel
Videogamecoper said:

"Dragon Ball" is only out dated because it was released in the 80s. The Mona Lisa is out dated but no one is trying to remake that. Not everything needs to be remade just to appeal to a younger audience or new fans. Almost all western Fans didn't even get to view the original "Dragon Ball" series when it was released either. Hell they ended up platforming "Dragon Ball Z" on Cartoon Network before they even aired the original "Dragon Ball" series. This isn't even taking into account that "Dragon Ball Z" basically took almost a full decade for it to get Officially released in the West in the 1st place.

In the 80s, the original "Dragon Ball" series only managed to air on a few local UHF stations in the West and most of them across the US only aired the 1st episode. If one was lucky enough to live somewhere in North America they might have had the privilege to to view at most the "Pilaf Saga" which was the 1st 13 episodes in the late 80s on some random UHF station with someone working there being a huge "Japanimation" otaku at the time.

You want a condensed version of the Original Dragon ball series butchered to death to neatly fit in a series of 50 minute movies simply to remove the "boring" parts, go grab yourself a copy of the Dragon Ball movies on DVD starting with "Dragon Ball: Curse of the Blood Rubies". Yeah the story is shorten all right. But it's also completely changes what happens in the actual series. If "Dragon Ball" was to be remade today flooded with soulless CG to make it seem more modern, it would likely end being just a modern version of "Dragon Ball: Curse of the Blood Rubies" just with soulless GC. Like taking an old turd and polishing it up simply to try to make it look new.

I will argue, remaking the original "Dragon Ball" will likely not bring a breath of fresh air to the franchise. More than likely it will just end up being botched like so many other Anime remakes before, potentially tarnishing not only a classic but a beloved Anime series franchise.

For the record, I never liked "Dragon Ball Z" and ended up dropping it when it aired on cartoon network in the late 90s. Because they turned a fun Action Fantasy Adventure with a touch of comedy and perverted humor (which was the original Dragon Ball Series) and transformed it into a pseudo sci-fi macho battle shounen with the characters doing more trash talking than actual combat with "Dragon Ball Z". I literally lost interest in "Dragon Ball Z' during the Frieza Saga where they literally spent 20 episodes where it was just basically trash talking... powering up... doing no damage... rinse and repeat... for 20 freaken episodes!!!
@ColourWheel ...

Nhf, but why are you acting like clown?

Like, yeah, one can watch the original Dragon Ball series (including Z), and be fine with it, enjoy it even maybe, but so what?
I myself find it still very much charming and watchable.

That doesn't mean that people wouldn't want to see a modern version of it, especially after we witnessed some remade clips from early story in latest movies.

Toei improved a lot when it comes to visuals, Goku vs Jiren, or Gogeta vs Broly, or Piccolo and Gohan vs Gamma 1 & 2 is something very impressive; most of us would like to see classic showdowns on that level of quality, or story itself, that is non-fighting parts on the level of the Dragon Quest anime remake.
I'm not update with One Piece, but apparently, it also looks very good nowadays.

I mean, I love classic anime, Dragon Ball included as any other person, but that doesn't change the fact that I am living in the present now, that I was exposed / spoiled by anime much better looking than something from decades ago, and with better pacing (not that I ever really had problem with fillers).

Classic DB can age well as much as it wants, it is still obvious that it is a product of a bygone age.

Other than that, this IS Dragon Ball after all, out of everything else in this world, one would actually expect that King of Shounen Anime receives a remake much sooner.

Seriously, wtf is wrong with you, and with people like you?
One would almost imagine that you feel threatened by the new things, or rather, that "your era" isn't around anymore.

Btw, please don't link me some badly done screenshots from modern DB.
That really doesn't mean anything, other than lack of time, and/or laziness.
Mar 19, 8:29 AM

Mar 2021
Reply to Afeln
@ColourWheel ...

Like, yeah, one can watch the original Dragon Ball series (including Z), and be fine with it, enjoy it even maybe, but so what?

That doesn't mean that people wouldn't want to see a modern version of it, especially after we witnessed some remade clips from early story in latest movies.

Toei improved a lot when it comes to visuals, Goku vs Jiren, or Gogeta vs Broly, or Piccolo and Gohan vs Gamma 1 & 2 is something very impressive; most of us would like to see classic showdowns on that level of quality, or story itself, that is non-fighting parts on the level of the Dragon Quest anime remake.
I'm not update with One Piece, but apparently, it also looks very good nowadays.

I mean, I love classic anime, Dragon Ball included as any other person, but that doesn't change the fact that I am living in the present now, that I was exposed / spoiled by anime much better looking than something from decades ago, and with better pacing (not that I ever really had problem with fillers).

Classic DB can age well as much as it wants, it is still obvious that it is a product of a bygone age.

Other than that, this IS Dragon Ball after all, out of everything else in this world, one would actually expect that King of Shounen Anime receives a remake much sooner.

One would almost imagine that you feel threatened by the new things, or rather, that "your era" isn't around anymore.

@Afeln

I must of really triggered you to personally go off on me.

I was simply stating my own opinion. You have a right to not agree with my opinion. A real clown is anyone who would goes off on a rant bitching about another Users opinion just because they don't agree with it. Specifically a User who likely uses a dummy account simply to make such posts to begin with.

If this is your legitimate main account take some time to freaken fill it up instead of worrying about other Users opinions. No one will take you seriously with an account that has literally zero info not even a single Anime you have ever consumed... and here you are preaching to me about laziness....
ColourWheelMar 19, 8:50 AM
Mar 19, 9:07 AM

Oct 2018
A good adaptation shouldn't be remaked tbh.

Only the bad adaptation deserve a remake to make as close as possible to source material.
Mar 19, 9:13 AM
Community Mod
💧Focalors💧

Mar 2022
Thread has been moved to the correct board.
Mar 19, 9:29 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to Afeln
@ColourWheel ...

@Afeln

whats funny about people like him. at first the whine about how nothing should be remaked and "it will ruin everything bla bla bla". and then when its actually being remaked and its a huge success like the rouruni kenshin remake or the hunter x huner remake and everyone praising it they suddenly start praising it as well.

just lol at people like him who also claim that dragon ball animation aged well when its clearly dident. dragon ball re-using animation repeats in fights all the time and most of the fights look poor compared to the manga. the art is also bad compared to the manga and a remake will finally do this series justice. i dont care about nudity being removed. so what? cgi? show me where in hunter x hunter or in rouruni kenshin there is cgi? nonsense. just because berserk was a pile of crap that dosent mean that nothing should be remade at all. og dragon ball definietly need a remake more then anything else. sorry to ruin it for you guys. but this is the truth.

obviously z do not and will not be remade so because z did aged well while dragon ball dident. deal with it.
Mar 19, 1:48 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to Videogamecoper
@Afeln

whats funny about people like him. at first the whine about how nothing should be remaked and "it will ruin everything bla bla bla". and then when its actually being remaked and its a huge success like the rouruni kenshin remake or the hunter x huner remake and everyone praising it they suddenly start praising it as well.

just lol at people like him who also claim that dragon ball animation aged well when its clearly dident. dragon ball re-using animation repeats in fights all the time and most of the fights look poor compared to the manga. the art is also bad compared to the manga and a remake will finally do this series justice. i dont care about nudity being removed. so what? cgi? show me where in hunter x hunter or in rouruni kenshin there is cgi? nonsense. just because berserk was a pile of crap that dosent mean that nothing should be remade at all. og dragon ball definietly need a remake more then anything else. sorry to ruin it for you guys. but this is the truth.

obviously z do not and will not be remade so because z did aged well while dragon ball dident. deal with it.
Videogamecoper said:

Like wtf? When did I ever praise Rouruni kenshin remake or the hunter x huner remake? Now you are just making shit up. lol

In fact half of your post is simply just making shit up in an obvious attempt simply just to trash another User personally by directing your comment to someone who obviously would agree with you no matter what lies you spew at them. A very convenient "TOOL", no pun intended.

There is too many Cons against the Pros in regards to remakes.

Broadly speaking Remakes/reboots never do much Justice for already loved franchise. Right off the bat you have an extremely high expectation placed on them. Where even new fans of a specific franchise will often times start dissenting it making comparison to the original. Lack of originality tends to weigh down audience reception because even if something is remade all it's trying to do is rehash something that is already done before. Studio resources are better utilize on working on new projects instead of creating a micro industry of simply shitting out a bunch of stuff that's already been made before.

Even if a remake/reboot tries to differ from the original, a remake can strays too far from the source material alienating fans of the original which happens way too often with Anime.

Remakes often times misunderstand what made the original work successful in the first place. Whether it's the tone, themes, or characters, misinterpreting the essence of the source material can lead to a disappointment. I won't even bother to list the countless time this has happened.

Remakes are driven more by financial motivations than creative ones. When studios prioritize profit over artistic integrity, it can result in rushed, poorly executed remakes that lack the passion and vision of the original.

Furthermore, the original version of a beloved property often benefits from nostalgia, which can be difficult for a remake to replicate. Even if the remake is technically well-made, it may struggle to evoke the same emotional connection that audiences have with the original. This is obviously something you choose to not understand.

Over all modern Anime in general is mostly just pirated in the west where simply remaking some Anime franchise based on a fraction of just a vocal minority of Users in a community like MAL makes no different if it existed at all to the broader Japanese Animation industry (Western fan opinions are just ignored).

You want a remake of the "Dragon Ball" series, I get that. If you want an active discussion on this topic you got to accept the fact there will be Users who disagree with you and likely formulate indictments countering your premise and as the OP you should respect that. Refusing to accept the opinions of other that participate on your discussion potentially turns your own thread into a trash talking free for all.
ColourWheelMar 19, 2:15 PM
Mar 19, 2:11 PM

Apr 2020
Nah, let it rest. Stop milking and redoing every legendary franchise out there.
It was great. It's forever in my mind. Brought me a lot of joy, during my childhood. It deserves to age in dignity. Leave it alone.

It's not a series that NEEDS to come back now, venturing into new markets. It had its time.
It's like wanting to remake Seinfeld or F.R.I.E.N.D.S. . Wouldn't work.
Merve2LoveMar 19, 2:14 PM
Mar 19, 3:00 PM
Dec 2023
Reply to ColourWheel
Videogamecoper said:

Like wtf? When did I ever praise Rouruni kenshin remake or the hunter x huner remake? Now you are just making shit up. lol

In fact half of your post is simply just making shit up in an obvious attempt simply just to trash another User personally by directing your comment to someone who obviously would agree with you no matter what lies you spew at them. A very convenient "TOOL", no pun intended.

There is too many Cons against the Pros in regards to remakes.

Broadly speaking Remakes/reboots never do much Justice for already loved franchise. Right off the bat you have an extremely high expectation placed on them. Where even new fans of a specific franchise will often times start dissenting it making comparison to the original. Lack of originality tends to weigh down audience reception because even if something is remade all it's trying to do is rehash something that is already done before. Studio resources are better utilize on working on new projects instead of creating a micro industry of simply shitting out a bunch of stuff that's already been made before.

Even if a remake/reboot tries to differ from the original, a remake can strays too far from the source material alienating fans of the original which happens way too often with Anime.

Remakes often times misunderstand what made the original work successful in the first place. Whether it's the tone, themes, or characters, misinterpreting the essence of the source material can lead to a disappointment. I won't even bother to list the countless time this has happened.

Remakes are driven more by financial motivations than creative ones. When studios prioritize profit over artistic integrity, it can result in rushed, poorly executed remakes that lack the passion and vision of the original.

Furthermore, the original version of a beloved property often benefits from nostalgia, which can be difficult for a remake to replicate. Even if the remake is technically well-made, it may struggle to evoke the same emotional connection that audiences have with the original. This is obviously something you choose to not understand.

Over all modern Anime in general is mostly just pirated in the west where simply remaking some Anime franchise based on a fraction of just a vocal minority of Users in a community like MAL makes no different if it existed at all to the broader Japanese Animation industry (Western fan opinions are just ignored).

You want a remake of the "Dragon Ball" series, I get that. If you want an active discussion on this topic you got to accept the fact there will be Users who disagree with you and likely formulate indictments countering your premise and as the OP you should respect that. Refusing to accept the opinions of other that participate on your discussion potentially turns your own thread into a trash talking free for all.
@ColourWheel

its should be remade as toryama himeself even said he the animation was not good enough compared to the fight scenes in the manga. i have read the dragon ball manga (not the z parts tho) and there is a huge difference between them. unlike the z anime which is much more loyal to the z manga, the dragon ball anime dosent look even half as good as the dragon ball manga. not character design, not art in general, and especielly not battle animation are basically old style of reusing battle animations over and over and the characters dont move smoothly. if you saw the recent dragon ball daima trailer then you would know how huge the difference is with modern animation & art and what dragon ball had which is nice for nostalgia but nothing more.

you only resist to it because you think it would never happen. if tomorrow it would be announced you will rationalize and start praising it

Mar 19, 3:03 PM
Dec 2023
Reply to AdityaRizkiS
A good adaptation shouldn't be remaked tbh.

Only the bad adaptation deserve a remake to make as close as possible to source material.
@AdityaRizkiS

dragon ball is an average adaptation. not good one like z
Mar 19, 3:44 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to Videogamecoper
@ColourWheel

its should be remade as toryama himeself even said he the animation was not good enough compared to the fight scenes in the manga. i have read the dragon ball manga (not the z parts tho) and there is a huge difference between them. unlike the z anime which is much more loyal to the z manga, the dragon ball anime dosent look even half as good as the dragon ball manga. not character design, not art in general, and especielly not battle animation are basically old style of reusing battle animations over and over and the characters dont move smoothly. if you saw the recent dragon ball daima trailer then you would know how huge the difference is with modern animation & art and what dragon ball had which is nice for nostalgia but nothing more.

you only resist to it because you think it would never happen. if tomorrow it would be announced you will rationalize and start praising it

@Videogamecoper

And of course who could deny some AI's understanding of the feelings and thoughts of a Toryama?

Even if Toryama himself even thought the animation was not good enough compared to the fight scenes in a manga, that's making a pretty broad jump to assuming they simply wanted for the entire franchise to simply be rehashed with modern CG.

Just about all Authors express concerns when their work gets adopted into an Anime when they play little role in it's actual production. If Toryama was truly concerned about pacing and fillers they likely could have actively played a role in the original production but obviously either lacked the skills to do so or had no interest in being a part of it to begin with. Either way there would be no guarantee Toryama would be satisfy at all if the industry decided to pump out some soulless remake when the guy is now dead RIP.

Your desires seem more selfish than simply wanting something to be remade because the original Author had mixed feelings about the original adaptation other wise it would have been a part of your original premise. It comes across as disingenuous at best when you are relying on AI to try to counter another Users opinion on the matter in the 1st place.

Your main reason and premise was built on simply being something outdated. Which I still disagree gives reason enough for something to simply be remade. If all you are really wanting is flashy soulless CG fight scenes and modern eye candy then I will point you to consume something like "K" which was probably one of the most soulless CG pieces of work to ever be released in modern Japanese Anime history.

Videogamecoper said:

Again here you are making assumption on something (this is quite the habit of yours). I would likely not even wasted my time to consume some soulless rehash of "Dragon Ball" when I already know at best all it will be is a soulless project solely edging on financial motivations rather than creative ones, let alone start praising something over some fictional announcement.
ColourWheelMar 19, 4:10 PM
Mar 19, 3:54 PM

Jan 2009
everything needs a remake not just dragon ball but its wishful thinking at this point so maybe once generative ai is perfected your dream will come true
Mar 19, 3:57 PM
Dec 2023
Reply to ColourWheel
@Videogamecoper

And of course who could deny some AI's understanding of the feelings and thoughts of a Toryama?

Even if Toryama himself even thought the animation was not good enough compared to the fight scenes in a manga, that's making a pretty broad jump to assuming they simply wanted for the entire franchise to simply be rehashed with modern CG.

Just about all Authors express concerns when their work gets adopted into an Anime when they play little role in it's actual production. If Toryama was truly concerned about pacing and fillers they likely could have actively played a role in the original production but obviously either lacked the skills to do so or had no interest in being a part of it to begin with. Either way there would be no guarantee Toryama would be satisfy at all if the industry decided to pump out some soulless remake when the guy is now dead RIP.

Your desires seem more selfish than simply wanting something to be remade because the original Author had mixed feelings about the original adaptation other wise it would have been a part of your original premise. It comes across as disingenuous at best when you are relying on AI to try to counter another Users opinion on the matter in the 1st place.

Your main reason and premise was built on simply being something outdated. Which I still disagree gives reason enough for something to simply be remade. If all you are really wanting is flashy soulless CG fight scenes and modern eye candy then I will point you to consume something like "K" which was probably one of the most soulless CG pieces of work to ever be released in modern Japanese Anime history.

Videogamecoper said:

Again here you are making assumption on something (this is quite the habit of yours). I would likely not even wasted my time to consume some soulless rehash of "Dragon Ball" when I already know at best all it will be is a soulless project solely edging on financial motivations rather than creative ones, let alone start praising something over some fictional announcement.
@ColourWheel

just lol at your strawman argument. like how you immidiatly suggest that if a remake would be made it 100% would be "full of cg" when in reality the majority of anime that got remade had no cg whatsoever. rouruni kenshin dosent have cg, hunter x hunter dident had cg, FMA brotherhood dident had CG

and yet you continue to insist that if a remake was made it would be "rehashed with modern CG" and your basis for that? nothing... nothing at all.

modern animations does not equal CG. i dont know where the fuck you get that assumption from.

Mar 19, 4:03 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to Videogamecoper
@ColourWheel

just lol at your strawman argument. like how you immidiatly suggest that if a remake would be made it 100% would be "full of cg" when in reality the majority of anime that got remade had no cg whatsoever. rouruni kenshin dosent have cg, hunter x hunter dident had cg, FMA brotherhood dident had CG

and yet you continue to insist that if a remake was made it would be "rehashed with modern CG" and your basis for that? nothing... nothing at all.

modern animations does not equal CG. i dont know where the fuck you get that assumption from.

Videogamecoper said:

Again inserting shit I never said before or even suggesting anything of the sort. Nothing in modern Animation production is 100% CG but almost all and any action sequences in modern Anime mostly utilizes and relies heavily on CG from the get go. Yes, that includes "Rouruni kenshin (2023)", "Hunter x hunter (2011)", and even "FMA brotherhood" all heavily relied on CG in their production specifically when it came to action sequences. If you think there is no CG in any of these titles you have listed then you obviously don't have a clue about anything you are even talking about.

CG has been utilized throughout Anime history since they completely stopped using Cel Animation. Even before that dating back to 1983 "Golgo 13" was the 1st Anime Movie to incorporate computer graphics using CAD for several scenes. Every Modern Animation studio has relied on CG since the turn of the century whether you realize that or not. Around 2010 most modern Animation began to extremely and heavily rely on CG strictly for action sequences.

Your premise relies on a bitching about being out dated likely pointing to not being like DBZ and wanting stuff you found boring to be removed. "Dragon Ball" was more of an Adventure Fantasy while "Dragon Ball Z" is just a typical Macho Battle Shounen. Of course DBZ is different than "Dragon Ball" that's the reason why they are practically two different Anime series giving them two different names leaving a divide between the two. While "Dragon Ball" is technically still an action adventure, action wasn't a predominate thing from it's inception nor were Macho Battle Shounen fight scenes. The "slice of life" stuff you claim is absent in "Dragon Ball Z", that is part of the charm of the original "Dragon Ball" series and why the original series is so broadly loved by a general audience.

Videogamecoper said:

I never made any assumption in the 1st place. At this point I am just going to say "fuck off!" I am done with your petty thread.
ColourWheelMar 19, 6:52 PM
Mar 20, 10:57 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to ColourWheel
Videogamecoper said:

Again inserting shit I never said before or even suggesting anything of the sort. Nothing in modern Animation production is 100% CG but almost all and any action sequences in modern Anime mostly utilizes and relies heavily on CG from the get go. Yes, that includes "Rouruni kenshin (2023)", "Hunter x hunter (2011)", and even "FMA brotherhood" all heavily relied on CG in their production specifically when it came to action sequences. If you think there is no CG in any of these titles you have listed then you obviously don't have a clue about anything you are even talking about.

CG has been utilized throughout Anime history since they completely stopped using Cel Animation. Even before that dating back to 1983 "Golgo 13" was the 1st Anime Movie to incorporate computer graphics using CAD for several scenes. Every Modern Animation studio has relied on CG since the turn of the century whether you realize that or not. Around 2010 most modern Animation began to extremely and heavily rely on CG strictly for action sequences.

Your premise relies on a bitching about being out dated likely pointing to not being like DBZ and wanting stuff you found boring to be removed. "Dragon Ball" was more of an Adventure Fantasy while "Dragon Ball Z" is just a typical Macho Battle Shounen. Of course DBZ is different than "Dragon Ball" that's the reason why they are practically two different Anime series giving them two different names leaving a divide between the two. While "Dragon Ball" is technically still an action adventure, action wasn't a predominate thing from it's inception nor were Macho Battle Shounen fight scenes. The "slice of life" stuff you claim is absent in "Dragon Ball Z", that is part of the charm of the original "Dragon Ball" series and why the original series is so broadly loved by a general audience.

Videogamecoper said:

I never made any assumption in the 1st place. At this point I am just going to say "fuck off!" I am done with your petty thread.
@ColourWheel

Again inserting shit I never said before or even suggesting anything of the sort.

I never made any assumption in the 1st place.

that's making a pretty broad jump to assuming they simply wanted for the entire franchise to simply be rehashed with modern CG.

f all you are really wanting is flashy soulless CG fight scenes and modern eye candy then I will point you to consume something like "K" which was probably one of the most soulless CG pieces of work to ever be released in modern Japanese Anime history.

the fact that animation is made now with computers (i know. kinda shocking isnt it?). and not in the old cell animation style does not make it "CG". CGI is . CGI animation is something totally differnt and the vast majority of remakes do not use it. with the exepction of berserk 2016. but toruruni kenshin has absolute 0 amount of cgi animation in it.

same with hunter x hunter and other remakes. dragon ball has no reason to add any cgi animation and if you saw dragon ball super super hero then you maybe saw the opening scenes with kid goku in 2d modern animation. no cgi animation was there whatsoever.

if cgi animation is used its only for things like vehicles and stuff like that like the spaceship and planet and backgrounds in dragon ball daima. but thats because its set mostly in space and other planets. if dragon ball was remade today it would not use any cgi whatsoever. its an assumption that you pullet out of your ass. and then you try to deny you said that which is not smart at all.

the last trailer of dragon ball daima which showed clean,modern,fast and smooth animation that is movie level is a good glimpse to what dragon ball remake could be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JRBJ3Ldhsc

and if you say that the old,clunky,stiff animation the original dragon ball that litterly using the same movement animations over and over during battles is better then i cant take you seriously. sorry but i just cant.

anyone who oppose to a dragon ball remake that can look 100x better cannot be taken seriously. you assumption is that if a remake was made its automatically means it would be worse. when its not the case at all
Mar 20, 12:31 PM

May 2021
Pretty strongly disagree with points 1 and 3. The 80s animation and art style is part of what gives the series its charm. It's not big budget Sakuga or anything, but it doesn't really need to be, Dragon Ball as a whole is a pretty interesting combination of notably dated & utterly timeless, and the visual style of it reflects that in a way which can't really be replicated imo. Additionally, a lot of the additions the anime were for the better, honestly, like expanding the role of the Pilaf Gang in the first arc. It isn't really until well into Z that the show's filler became a detriment, and even then there was still some good filler content right up through the last arcs of the series.

I do agree that too many fans are focused on Z, but a lot of that also just comes down to the fact that most of the franchise's fans are already much more predisposed to liking the kind of direction that Z has over the original DB. And it's also not like OG DB is getting entirely glossed over either, it has over a million members on this site alone and you don't have to dig hard to find a big portion of the hardcore fandom has a huge fondness for the original already.
Barely catching my breath!
Lay my eyes on the crest!
Gonna square up to all of the heat that is left!
So I carry the torch! To Inferno! Inferno!
Mar 23, 12:03 PM
Dec 2023
Reply to Infamous_Empire
Pretty strongly disagree with points 1 and 3. The 80s animation and art style is part of what gives the series its charm. It's not big budget Sakuga or anything, but it doesn't really need to be, Dragon Ball as a whole is a pretty interesting combination of notably dated & utterly timeless, and the visual style of it reflects that in a way which can't really be replicated imo. Additionally, a lot of the additions the anime were for the better, honestly, like expanding the role of the Pilaf Gang in the first arc. It isn't really until well into Z that the show's filler became a detriment, and even then there was still some good filler content right up through the last arcs of the series.

I do agree that too many fans are focused on Z, but a lot of that also just comes down to the fact that most of the franchise's fans are already much more predisposed to liking the kind of direction that Z has over the original DB. And it's also not like OG DB is getting entirely glossed over either, it has over a million members on this site alone and you don't have to dig hard to find a big portion of the hardcore fandom has a huge fondness for the original already.
@Infamous_Empire

something i forgot to mention which proves there will be a dragon ball remake (whatever you like it or not).

is that masako nozawa is 87 right now. and the other voice actors of piccolo,vegeta,frieza and so on are 60-70.

we all know that nozawa will die soon or even if not she may retire. the other voice actors could die as well or retire. (piccolo and frieza voice actors are above 70)

so what do you think will happen? they would make another movie or series with the possability of nozawa dying?

its obvious they will reboot the franchise. they probably wont remake z but they would for sure remake dragon ball.
Mar 23, 12:04 PM
Dec 2023
Reply to Infamous_Empire

@Infamous_Empire

something i forgot to mention which proves there will be a dragon ball remake (whatever you like it or not).

is that masako nozawa is 87 right now. and the other voice actors of piccolo,vegeta,frieza and so on are 60-70.

we all know that nozawa will die soon or even if not she may retire. the other voice actors could die as well or retire. (piccolo and frieza voice actors are above 70)

so what do you think will happen? they would make another movie or series with the possability of nozawa dying?

its obvious they will reboot the franchise. they probably wont remake z but they would for sure remake dragon ball.
Mar 23, 1:14 PM

May 2021
Reply to Videogamecoper
@Infamous_Empire

@Videogamecoper

Alright, so firstly, taking this thread's topic from "there should be a Dragon Ball remake" to tinfoil hat-esque conspiracy theorizing about how there will be a remake just doesn't follow, it's a total non-sequitur from the topic of the conversation. At best, you're setting yourself up for disappointment with this line of thinking

Secondly, your logic is nonsense. Why in the world would recasting require a reboot? And even if it did, that doesn't change any of the economic incentive which has been preventing them from revisiting OG DB (IE the fact that the stuff from Z onwards is more popular and sells more merch). The actual likely scenario is just that Toei will do the same thing they did when Tenshinhan's VA passed, IE just slide the new VAs into their next Z/Super-based nostalgia milking project and call it a day.
Mar 23, 1:51 PM
Dec 2023
Reply to Infamous_Empire
@Videogamecoper

Alright, so firstly, taking this thread's topic from "there should be a Dragon Ball remake" to tinfoil hat-esque conspiracy theorizing about how there will be a remake just doesn't follow, it's a total non-sequitur from the topic of the conversation. At best, you're setting yourself up for disappointment with this line of thinking

Secondly, your logic is nonsense. Why in the world would recasting require a reboot? And even if it did, that doesn't change any of the economic incentive which has been preventing them from revisiting OG DB (IE the fact that the stuff from Z onwards is more popular and sells more merch). The actual likely scenario is just that Toei will do the same thing they did when Tenshinhan's VA passed, IE just slide the new VAs into their next Z/Super-based nostalgia milking project and call it a day.
@Infamous_Empire

no consiracy was mentioned whatsoever. just basic logic

and people who use this "tinfoil hat" meme on everything are actually the ones who make fun of themeselves.
Mar 23, 3:20 PM

May 2021
Reply to Videogamecoper
@Infamous_Empire

no consiracy was mentioned whatsoever. just basic logic

and people who use this "tinfoil hat" meme on everything are actually the ones who make fun of themeselves.
@Videogamecoper

You claim you used basic logic yet didn't even really contest in of my points about how your conclusions aren't logical in the slightest.
Mar 26, 7:26 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to Infamous_Empire
@Videogamecoper

You claim you used basic logic yet didn't even really contest in of my points about how your conclusions aren't logical in the slightest.
@Infamous_Empire

Secondly, your logic is nonsense. Why in the world would recasting require a reboot?

because now with the dragon ball room and akio yukku in charge there will always be a new dragon ball project coming up. and if nozawa dies/retire or the other main actors die/retire its more of a reason to reboot the franchise. just replacing the voice of goku and gohan is not something they gonna do. its not like bulma at all. and another reason is that like i said. the dragon ball anime did not aged that well. (unlike Z). you may not like to hear it but this is a straight fact. the movement and action scenes in the OG dragon ball are not fluid enough and are very clunky with re-using the same key animations over and over. both that and the fact that toei will want to attract new audiance to the franchise. i say there is 100% chance there will be a remake eventually. when? who knows. but there will be one. whatever you like it or not.

And even if it did, that doesn't change any of the economic incentive which has been preventing them from revisiting OG DB (IE the fact that the stuff from Z onwards is more popular and sells more merch). The actual likely scenario is just that Toei will do the same thing they did when Tenshinhan's VA passed, IE just slide the new VAs into their next Z/Super-based nostalgia milking project and call it a day.

no they wont. tenshinhan beraly got any screen time anyway and the wont re-cast the voice of the main character so quickly. if nozawa will die then they will make a break and then probably remake dragon ball. and if it succseed (which it probably will) they will maybe even continue into Z.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dragon Ball Episode 28 Discussion

FighterZ - May 1, 2008

43 by oozePOP »»
Today, 1:04 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Episode 123 Discussion

KitaTsuki - Oct 11, 2011

21 by wildhood »»
Apr 25, 1:19 PM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Episode 57 Discussion

KitaTsuki - Oct 2, 2011

24 by David_Mamyan »»
Apr 21, 2:29 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Episode 75 Discussion

brucescrews - Jan 15, 2012

24 by vehehgito »»
Apr 20, 8:09 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Episode 13 Discussion

Scribbly - Oct 26, 2008

41 by Kyla_The_Plant »»
Apr 17, 5:49 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.