Forum Settings
Forums

Are there any anime in your favorites which truly feel like no other you've seen?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 10, 3:49 AM
Jul 2023
Gintama for me! The way the comedy goes on for 30 - 40 episodes without getting you bored and then suddenly some of the most serious anime episodes I have ever seen. The dynamics between characters and the plot twist at the end of the series. In single word this is anime is " Random ".
Mar 10, 3:59 AM

Aug 2018
they're not all so unique. I can think of a counterpart for each of my favorite animes. Hell, Rozen Maiden and the similar Madoka are both on my list.

For Clannad, you've got Kanon. For Girls Last Tour there's Kino's journey. Steins Gate has rezero. Code Geass-likes are a little harder to come by, but the underrated Gun X Sword and Scryed are unmistakably in the same vein.
Mar 10, 4:15 AM

Aug 2020
Reply to removed-user
Kyoto Animation & Ufotable
Avant-garde/drama/action/psychological/horror/thriller/mahou shoujo
Madoka Magica + Kill la Kill + Persona + Serial Experiments Lain

I too can't believe that it actually exists, despite watching it with my own eyes.

Forget Monogatari series, this show is the greatest pleb filter ever. If you want to truly enjoy this underground masterpiece, watch it as if you are listening to a beautiful song in an unfamiliar language, make sure that you feel it more than understand. If you make a conscious effort to understand it, you will fail miserably, just like this Monster fan two posts above me who praises the worst work of Urasawa because it only looks very mature and western (but the actual mature and western anime is, of course, Miyazaki's The Wind Rises).

@AnotherAnimeSnob Nah Monster > SEL >> Monogatari series >>> Madoka Magica > The Wind Rises
Mar 10, 4:23 AM
Oct 2021
Dorohedoro, beside how good the world build is, the plot itself im gonna say a bit unique, maybe not in season 1, im not gonna spoiler, but its really freshing when i read what happens next
Mar 10, 4:28 AM

Jul 2021
march comes in like a lion, mushoku tensei, honey and clover. what these animes have done and the way they have achieved it is just simply chef's kiss. i can't find any words to describe just how amazing these animes are but if you've watched any of these you know what i'm talking abot.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Mar 10, 4:40 AM
Jul 2018
Reply to TRC_Randy
@AnotherAnimeSnob Nah Monster > SEL >> Monogatari series >>> Madoka Magica > The Wind Rises
@TRC_Randy you have Mob Psycho 100 in your favorites, your opinion is discarded.
Mar 10, 4:43 AM

Aug 2020
Reply to removed-user
@TRC_Randy you have Mob Psycho 100 in your favorites, your opinion is discarded.
@AnotherAnimeSnob Mob Psycho 100 >>>> Madoka Magica
Mar 10, 4:44 AM
Jul 2018
Reply to TRC_Randy
@AnotherAnimeSnob Mob Psycho 100 >>>> Madoka Magica
@TRC_Randy you laugh at unfunny comedies, enjoy thrillers that do not thrill and horrors that do not horrify, I do not want to talk to you.
Mar 10, 4:57 AM

Aug 2020
Reply to removed-user
@TRC_Randy you laugh at unfunny comedies, enjoy thrillers that do not thrill and horrors that do not horrify, I do not want to talk to you.
@AnotherAnimeSnob you don't know what laughter is? Oh i'm so sorry.

You know that's what they say before replying to me again. But you're right. Madoka Magica was neither thrilling nor horrifying.
Mar 10, 5:59 AM

Jun 2019
epidemia78 said:
For Girls Last Tour there's Kino's journey.

These are also both on my top favorites list (not on my selection displayed visually on my profile page though; a little further down on my extended list), but I guess I never thought of them as being all that similar. I suppose that's true, although Kino no Tabi feels a lot more theoretical and dreamlike in the tradition of speculative fiction as well as inwardly-focused and psychological. Whereas Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou to me feels a lot more tangibly material and survivalist-focused. I mean, the latter does have dream and imagination sequences as well as philosophical ponderings, but maybe I'm saying that because the CGDCT aesthetic and iyashikei elements just impart a different feel to it.
WatchTillTandavaMar 10, 6:02 AM
Mar 10, 6:14 AM

Aug 2018
Reply to WatchTillTandava
epidemia78 said:
For Girls Last Tour there's Kino's journey.

These are also both on my top favorites list (not on my selection displayed visually on my profile page though; a little further down on my extended list), but I guess I never thought of them as being all that similar. I suppose that's true, although Kino no Tabi feels a lot more theoretical and dreamlike in the tradition of speculative fiction as well as inwardly-focused and psychological. Whereas Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou to me feels a lot more tangibly material and survivalist-focused. I mean, the latter does have dream and imagination sequences as well as philosophical ponderings, but maybe I'm saying that because the CGDCT aesthetic and iyashikei elements just impart a different feel to it.
@WatchTillTandava

GLT's been a favorite of mine for a long time but I didnt try Kino until recently. For me the similarities seemed obvious, what with the traveling and philosophical musings. it kinda hurt to realize one of my favorites is seemingly inspired by something so unappealing. Yeah.. I didnt much like it. Kino herself seems like an emotionless robot with whom I simply cannot identify with plus the tone of the show is very dour. GLT on the other hand also acknowledges that life sucks but that it's also worth living too and I appreciate that sentiment very much.
Mar 10, 6:32 AM

Jun 2019
epidemia78 said:
GLT's been a favorite of mine for a long time but I didnt try Kino until recently. For me the similarities seemed obvious, what with the traveling and philosophical musings. it kinda hurt to realize one of my favorites is seemingly inspired by something so unappealing. Yeah.. I didnt much like it. Kino herself seems like an emotionless robot with whom I simply cannot identify with plus the tone of the show is very dour. GLT on the other hand also acknowledges that life sucks but that it's also worth living too and I appreciate that sentiment very much.

Well, don't forget that the key saying or expression which could be said to embody the spirit of Kino no Tabi is "The world is not beautiful. Therefore it is."

Apart from that, I can't really disagree with your characterization of its characterization or tone and mood throughout. I'll just say that that is also what lends to it feeling different from something like Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou as I mentioned in my prior post and that more than this series, it shares aspects of tone and atmosphere with its sibling series who share some of the same creative staff behind it, like Serial Experiments Lain with which it shares its director or Haibane Renmei which has the same art style and with which it shares its character designer.

Kino is like that in a way, but to me it didn't bother but rather come off as affirming since I can relate to it. I think you'd relate more to Kino's persona if you too often felt like an outside observer to the world and its daily goings-on, just passing by and frequently refraining from interference or harsh judgment.
Mar 10, 7:33 AM
Feb 2021
Gintama, sure there are a lot of parody anime, and good comedies too, like Daily life of highschool boys (which I love).

But Gintama feels like home to me. It's really hard to come by an anime or any piece of media in general where the MC doesn't have a significant development and yet the characters he/she meets develop with the story, and at some point, even a minor character becomes a significant part of the story. Also the way Gintama portrays it's world is really well-done just after some time they start to feel like real people living there daily lives in this world and not just some background character.
Mar 10, 7:54 AM
VA-11 HALL-A

Aug 2014
Grisaia no Kajitsu because it's a harem series where the male MC is actually smart, dependable and pretty cool and is not some dense or weak-willed little boy that gets flustered by all the girls around them.

"πšƒπš’πš–πšŽ 𝚝𝚘 πš–πš’πš‘ πšπš›πš’πš—πš”πšœ πšŠπš—πš πšŒπš‘πšŠπš—πšπšŽ πš•πš’πšŸπšŽπšœ."
β˜† π™°πš—πš’πš–πšŽ π™»πš’πšœπš β˜†
β˜† πš…π™½π™³πš‹ β˜†
β˜† π™±πšŠπšŒπš”πš•πš˜πšπšπšŽπš›πš’ β˜†
Mar 10, 8:29 AM

Dec 2021
Kino's Journey and Girls' Last Tour.

Although these two are similar in certain aspects, they are opposites in utilizing certain philosophical themes. As a complete store, I don't think I have come across something like GLT before. In GLT the contrast between the characters, the casual way of building a nihilistic atmosphere, and the intentional yet ambiguous conversations on certain topics build a hopeful melancholy. I appreciate its story structure. On the other hand, Kino was very stern, direct, and theoretical. It did not have a standard story, rather it attempted to materialize certain aspects where Kino is just a narrator, not an intrinsic part of the story. I like both of their ways of incorporating philosophical themes into traveling.

Also shows like Haibane Renmei, and Aria felt very unique to me.
Mar 10, 8:34 AM

Sep 2008
Serial Experiments Lain comes to mind. Besides being one of the well-known mind bender anime, the one element to it that strongly resonated with me was how eerily prophetic it was with predicting humanity's relationship with the Internet and the various uses of the technology for everyday use back when the Internet was still in its infancy in the late 90s. Would say the series is still relevant with its themes today given the new challenges the Internet brings for everyday use with personal privacy more at risk and the disconnection from one's surroundings as you immerse yourself into using the Internet on any capable desktop or mobile device.
Mar 10, 8:49 AM
Mar 2014
Reply to gh0ul69
@Zimmu JJK's plot is generic as hell, it just has good fights and kills off characters purely for shock factor. It's above average for a battle shounen and I very much enjoyed it, but it's nothing special.
@gh0ul69 Absolutely right, JJK is a much worse naruto or bleach, the only good thing about JJK is the well animated fights for which all the credit goes to the animators, not to mention that JJK s2 is completely trash when it comes to vibe, music and completely meaningless characters dying.
Mar 10, 12:09 PM

Jul 2014
Evangelion may have inspired several dark, cerebral mecha series in its wake like Blue Gender, RahXephon and Betterman, but it still feels entirely singular nevertheless. Barring Twin Peaks, I don't think any other work of popular fiction feels as artistically unbridled.
Take care of yourself

Mar 10, 3:05 PM

Oct 2022
Spirited Away is quite special. From the story to the characters and of course the theme of the movie, I feel like it really encapsulates what a 'perfect' movie could look like. It's also of the few pieces of media/entertainment I have ever seen where I can't get back the experience I had when I first watched it.
When a pancake lover does something: "Outrageous vicious crime"

When a waffle lover does something: "That means it is not illegal"

Quotes - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ld_HIM667Do&t=2822s
Mar 10, 7:32 PM

Dec 2020
Reply to Zimmu
JJK S2, as in the plot elevates itself from any other shounen. Plus the Shibuya arc which uses a real setting is just genius. Many anime tried to use real places, but none of them which Iv seen is as close as Shibuya arc.
@Zimmu Using a real location is genius?
Mar 11, 12:04 AM

May 2021
Reply to Akuya
@Zimmu Using a real location is genius?
@Akuyatsun
Yes? You ever seen an anime arc in which all fights location, every street, every corner, can be found in real life place? There are legit 0 except jjk.
Mar 11, 12:41 AM

Dec 2019
Mushoku tensei there is literally nothing like it world building alone will elevate from your slapstick shonen anime it's story is feels more like diary, character feels alive can't wait for season 2
Mar 11, 12:57 AM
Mar 2023
Bungou Stray dogs and two donghuas, Mo Dao Zu Shi and Shiguang Dailiren. Shiguang Dailiren triggered insane theory building in me, that has never happened before. I am only at 100 pages and still at the very beginning because how complex it really is.
Mar 11, 2:26 AM

Oct 2013
For me it is mushishi or spice and Wolf.
Mar 11, 2:46 AM
Oct 2020
Sonny Boy.

Its just really good, it explores very complex philosophical topics in a way that no other anime I've seen really has. It's also animated beautifully and the soundtrack is absolutely fire. A lot of people find it too confusing but its one you need to finish to kind of understand but it still doesn't distract from the amazingness of the show.
Mar 11, 2:55 AM

Feb 2024
7 Seeds, is an anime that takes place after the destruction of humanity by a meteor and the fight for the survival of humans who have survived cryogenically for thousands of years.
Mar 11, 6:12 AM

Oct 2019
Most if not all of them, each for their own special way.

Shows that aren't doing something that REALLY stands out, rarely make it to my favourites.

If I explained why they are there, for most of them, that reason wouldn't apply to any other show except the one I was talking about.

But even among them, the show that is probably the most unique and there is REALLY nothing like it is probably death parade. Closest comparisons to it are angel beats and link click, and I mean, just look at how different these "closest" examples are.
Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Animeγ€ŒAMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Mar 11, 6:19 AM

Oct 2019
Reply to TRC_Randy
Monster: making a philosophy out of its own title which is detailed via its writing throughout including and especially the dialogues

OPM: giving the sense of a large-scale state of emergency
TRC_Randy said:
Monster: making a philosophy out of its own title which is detailed via its writing throughout including and especially the dialogues

Judging by pluto being his most different work, and it still being extremely similar in a lot of ways, I think that's just urasawa's writing style.

not the title relating to the philosophy of the show bit, but if that's the main meat of it then countless things do that (ghost in the shell, Harmony, Heavenly delusions, etc....)
Also available at:

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Mar 11, 6:28 AM

Nov 2019
Bakemonogatari, the art style and long driven conversations is truly unique. Death Note too
Mar 11, 6:41 AM
Most of them are really special in their own way, but smile of arsnotoria and Price of smile stand out.

Smile of arsnotoria- you’ll know what I mean when you watch the anime
Egao no daika - I have watched many war anime, but the way war is portrayed in this anime really stands out
Mar 11, 3:25 PM

Aug 2020
APolygons2 said:
Judging by pluto being his most different work, and it still being extremely similar in a lot of ways, I think that's just urasawa's writing style.
i honestly don't get this. In what way are they "extremely similar"?

APolygons2 said:
not the title relating to the philosophy of the show bit, but if that's the main meat of it then countless things do that (ghost in the shell, Harmony, Heavenly delusions, etc....)
i don't see how GitS, HD or any other anime i've seen can be in Monster's category that i'm talking about.
Mar 11, 3:45 PM

Feb 2022
Definitely Angel's Egg. It can be interpreted in so many different ways, and as the film director himself said "I don't know what the movie is about" which really allows you to make your own story up from the scraps of character interactions and moments.

Mar 11, 3:57 PM
Oct 2018
to your eternity feels entirely different from anything I've seen before
Mar 11, 5:28 PM

Oct 2019
Reply to TRC_Randy
APolygons2 said:

APolygons2 said:
i don't see how GitS, HD or any other anime i've seen can be in Monster's category that i'm talking about.
TRC_Randy said:

Unless I didn't misunderstood it, you mentioned two reasons:

TRC_Randy said:

Which were the writing specially the dialogue, and making a philosophy out of it's own title.

So, I was saying that these examples also make philosophy out of their title. It's a cool thing that isn't exactly common, but monster isn't the only show that did it.

The same way monsters explores the idea of the monster inside humanity, Ghost in the shell talks about the idea of soul and body, and heavenly delusions has a constant theme of "false paradise". Ghost in the shell is probably the closer example though, since in heavenly it is more of a contestant theme and has less to do with philosophy.

TRC_Randy said:

Wait really?

Well for one, Urasawa's dialogue which is one of my favourite things about his writing is pretty much 1 to 1 in terms of style and quality. If I hadn't seen the shows, and you gave me the script for 2 random scenes from both that didn't give away them being different stories, you would easily convince me that they are from the same thing.

There is also the fact that both are mysteries, and urasawa's mystery writing is also the exact same in both. The way he builds up the mystery, the way he presents the clues, the way he gives the answers, again, it's exactly like monster.

He also uses similar techniques to build up the villain as this monstrous threat that no one can even begin to understand, The start of the show having a chase for pluto who is a "devil" that is going around killing people, is at it's core an extremely similar concept to the start of monster and the chase for johan.

Both shows even have a part where The mc realizes the person he was talking to is going to get attacked, but is too late to save them from the "pluto" or "johan".

They also explore similar concepts, Yes pluto is also an anti-war piece, but at it's core, it explores the idea of hatred, what it creates, and how it's inside of every human.

Which isn't too different from the "monster inside all of us" of monster. I know they have a good amount of differences, but they are similar.

I could honestly go on. He writes death flags the same way, the emotional parts use similar writing techniques to be effective, and so on.

I do definitely think monster overall was a better story for Urasawa, he is way better at writing a historical setting than a sci-fi one, and the longer storyline gave him time to write even better core characters which his biggest strength up there with the dialogue imo, but it's a difference between a 9/10 story and a 10/10 one, His writing is just as strong in both.
APolygons2Mar 11, 5:35 PM
Also available at:

Mar 13, 6:08 PM

Feb 2021
Girls und Panzer 100% fits this on its premise alone lol. But I guess what makes it even better is the production quality, you can see Studio Actas put a lot of work into it. I feel a lot of anime that try to be unique by concept/premise are pretty generic in everything else. Idk, it might be my bias speaking but I do think GuP stands out when it comes to that regard.

The Perfect Duo - has one who thinks and one who do's.
To have a party, there's at least two 

When the world is dark, and you feel near to end.
Just remember there's hope, in the form of a friend.

Mar 13, 6:33 PM

Feb 2021
Reply to Chronon
Kino's Journey and Girls' Last Tour.

Although these two are similar in certain aspects, they are opposites in utilizing certain philosophical themes. As a complete store, I don't think I have come across something like GLT before. In GLT the contrast between the characters, the casual way of building a nihilistic atmosphere, and the intentional yet ambiguous conversations on certain topics build a hopeful melancholy. I appreciate its story structure. On the other hand, Kino was very stern, direct, and theoretical. It did not have a standard story, rather it attempted to materialize certain aspects where Kino is just a narrator, not an intrinsic part of the story. I like both of their ways of incorporating philosophical themes into traveling.

Also shows like Haibane Renmei, and Aria felt very unique to me.
Chronon said:
Aria felt very unique to me.

Agreed, haven't seen anyone mention it. Every episode is packed with a lesson or a small thought. Not only that but it is tied wonderfully to the story, characters and world. A very special anime indeed

The Perfect Duo - has one who thinks and one who do's.
To have a party, there's at least two 

When the world is dark, and you feel near to end.
Just remember there's hope, in the form of a friend.

Mar 13, 7:22 PM

Apr 2022
initial D, baccano and nana. guess there's wangan midnight with initial D but i haven't actually watched it and from what i've seen, doesn't actually seem that similar and ID is the only anime to use eurobeat. baccano's non-linear storytelling within episodes which isn't similar to other non-linear stories where the seasons are just released in different order. and nana's portrayal of love triangles not just for shipping purposes but really shows the problems people involved in it go through.
Mar 13, 8:01 PM

May 2022
Saiki K, it's a funny comedy and I also barely see psychic powers in anime. The humour is also unique compared to all the other comedies I've watched so far. I don't think I've had any anime replicate the feeling I got from watching this show.
Mar 17, 6:29 PM

Aug 2019
I am on such a "The First Slam Dunk" high that that's what I want to answer with, but if I'm being realistic here, "Samurai Flamenco" is truly one-of-a-kind.

EDIT: Also, "Spirited Away" is in its own league. I can't think of anything else I've seen that's anything like it.
Mar 22, 7:06 PM

Aug 2020
Ah yes. What an early reply. Sorry. You see i actually wanted to reply the moment i saw yours but there's just so much detail to consider that i just had no idea where to start and how much to include. Don't know if you're still interested but, whatever.

APolygons2 said:
Which were the writing specially the dialogue, and making a philosophy out of it's own title.
then GitS is out of the group bcoz half of it is done through audiovisuals instead of dialogues. Neither is HD. I don't remember its writing anywhere as subtextial as Monster is.

APolygons2 said:
The same way monsters explores the idea of the monster inside humanity, Ghost in the shell talks about the idea of soul and body, and heavenly delusions has a constant theme of "false paradise". Ghost in the shell is probably the closer example though, since in heavenly it is more of a contestant theme and has less to do with philosophy.

And surely this is without going deep into any other major characters throughout the entire 74 ep run of the series layer by layer (at least not yet). Now kindly tell me, which anime in existence has done anything similar to this?
TRC_RandyMar 22, 7:09 PM
Mar 22, 7:29 PM

Aug 2020
APolygons2 said:
Wait really?

Well for one, Urasawa's dialogue which is one of my favourite things about his writing is pretty much 1 to 1 in terms of style and quality. If I hadn't seen the shows, and you gave me the script for 2 random scenes from both that didn't give away them being different stories, you would easily convince me that they are from the same thing.

There is also the fact that both are mysteries, and urasawa's mystery writing is also the exact same in both. The way he builds up the mystery, the way he presents the clues, the way he gives the answers, again, it's exactly like monster.

He also uses similar techniques to build up the villain as this monstrous threat that no one can even begin to understand, The start of the show having a chase for pluto who is a "devil" that is going around killing people, is at it's core an extremely similar concept to the start of monster and the chase for johan.

Both shows even have a part where The mc realizes the person he was talking to is going to get attacked, but is too late to save them from the "pluto" or "johan".

They also explore similar concepts, Yes pluto is also an anti-war piece, but at it's core, it explores the idea of hatred, what it creates, and how it's inside of every human.

Which isn't too different from the "monster inside all of us" of monster. I know they have a good amount of differences, but they are similar.

I could honestly go on. He writes death flags the same way, the emotional parts use similar writing techniques to be effective, and so on.
this is more about "a creator's signature style in his works" instead of "making a philosophy out of its own title" that i'm talking about. If that's the case then an anime cannot be "unlike any other" as long as it has the creator's signature elements eg Katanagatari and Monogatari, Mob Psycho and OPM, Masaaki Yuasa's works, Satoshi Kon's etc which if you actually juxtapose them, they're all different. Plus the NAME "Pluto" has nowhere as much significance as the WORD "Monster" is when you go back to each show. That's the difference.
Mar 22, 8:25 PM
Nov 2020
Reply to Catalano
there are exactly 0 anime like death note and no one will ever accomplish to create something as good as it
@Catalano code geass is pretty similar, also imo its better than death note
Mar 22, 8:27 PM
Nov 2020
I'd say Beck mongolian chop squad, I don't see very many people talk about it either. It's a good music anime, with a good cast of characters. The anime even made me buy the entire manga set right after I watched it.
Mar 22, 8:29 PM

Oct 2019
Reply to TRC_Randy
Ah yes. What an early reply. Sorry. You see i actually wanted to reply the moment i saw yours but there's just so much detail to consider that i just had no idea where to start and how much to include. Don't know if you're still interested but, whatever.

APolygons2 said:
then GitS is out of the group bcoz half of it is done through audiovisuals instead of dialogues. Neither is HD. I don't remember its writing anywhere as subtextial as Monster is.

APolygons2 said:

And surely this is without going deep into any other major characters throughout the entire 74 ep run of the series layer by layer (at least not yet). Now kindly tell me, which anime in existence has done anything similar to this?
TRC_Randy said:

What you wrote here is specific enough that if something was similar, I would call it a copy.

Using the title as ground work for symbolism/themes in the show was general enough that I had some examples, but if you go this deep into it, then no there isn't anything that does this exact thing.

But I would argue this applies to any well thought out story that does it's own thing.

It's basically a short analysis piece, that shows just how brilliant the story of monster is. To me, it more speaks to it's quality, than it's uniqueness. Nothing you explained here is general enough for this topic imo.

TRC_Randy said:
this is more about "a creator's signature style in his works" instead of "making a philosophy out of its own title" that i'm talking about. If that's the case then an anime cannot be "unlike any other" as long as it has the creator's signature elements eg Katanagatari and Monogatari, Mob Psycho and OPM, Masaaki Yuasa's works, Satoshi Kon's etc which if you actually juxtapose them, they're all different. Plus the NAME "Pluto" has nowhere as much significance as the WORD "Monster" is when you go back to each show. That's the difference.

I think you misunderstood me, I said:

APolygons2 said:

So, I meant that pluto is just very similar to monster in general. and noted that excludes the title being a direct description for the philosophy of the show.

TRC_Randy said:

Here's the thing.

If your argument is that monster has it's own way of doing this, or it's that it does it best, I don't even really disagree.

But, for both these cases.

Audio visual IS still part of the movie. And besides, saying it does that "instead" of dialogue is just a lie. Ghost in the shell DOES definitely have dialogue that explores it's philosophy too along side the audio visual. It does both.

And yes, the extent of the use of themes in heavenly delusions is not even close to monster.

But both of these are still examples of the show/movies using their title as one of their core philosophical ideas/themes. Maybe monster is the best at it, again, I don't necessarily disagree with that. but it's not the only thing that has tried it by any means.

There are a lot of shows/movies that try stuff like that.

TRC_Randy said:
If that's the case then an anime cannot be "unlike any other" as long as it has the creator's signature elements eg Katanagatari and Monogatari, Mob Psycho and OPM, Masaaki Yuasa's works, Satoshi Kon's etc which if you actually juxtapose them, they're all different.

The thing is that I think the similarities in monster and pluto run a lot deeper than just writing style.

What makes opm and mob psycho so completely different is that mob is almost entirely character driven, and it's main appeal is seeing the characters grow.

which is not at all the main selling point of OPM. The author is trying to write to very different stories, so even if he has a certain writing style, they end up being completely different.

But monster and pluto both are the same genre, with a similar concept, that have similar themes. not the "same", but similar. which isn't even a bad thing mind you, I fucking love his work.

But I think mosnter and pluto have a lot more in common than mob and one punch man. again, not that it matters, like at all. Like genuinely, I'm just writing this for the hell of it, it does not even slightly affect my opinion on monster or pluto or anything.

Also available at:

Mar 22, 9:53 PM
Jul 2020
i don't know why but "the pet girl of sakurasou" left me quite speechless as the anime was really good as my expectation were so low. Even though when i reccomend it to some people they rejected it by saying they already dropped after 2-3 ep as they found this little boring and cringe

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Oshieteoshiete4 - Apr 29

222 by animegamer245 »»
4 seconds ago

» What does it mean when you rate an anime 6? ( 1 2 )

Akuya - Yesterday

90 by CaptainKenshiro »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be in favor of tipping Crunchyroll for every anime you complete on their platform? ( 1 2 )

Dije - Apr 16

91 by BigBoyAdvance »»
20 minutes ago

» Anime worlds you would rather live in

ST63LTH - 4 hours ago

18 by RumpelstiltskinX »»
31 minutes ago

» What's the most important feature in an anime for you?

new_Ango - 55 minutes ago

7 by tchitchouan »»
38 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.