Forum Settings
Forums

Getting Older And Watching More Serious Anime

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 6, 2:54 PM

Feb 2022
Reply to Serafos
For me, it was pretty much the opposite. From Death Note/Tokyo Ghoul/3-gatsu no Lion to K-On!/Non Non Biyori/Love Live!/Strike Witches, etc.

Well, I still like some dark and serious shows, but nowadays I mostly prefer slice of life, comedies, music, and ecchi anime.

@Serafos Nice upgrade, your taste just improved.

Same here. Ain't nothing better than just adorable girls being adorable (or using heavy military equipment as well)
Mar 6, 3:07 PM

Aug 2012
I lean more toward slice of life anime now. Because I find them relaxing to watch. When I was younger I could watch anime with more drama in them and now I tend to avoid drama since I have mental health issues in which drama is best avoided due to drama causing stress which increases my anxiety and induces panic attacks (Panic disorder is a b^tch to deal with). When I was younger slice of life was my least favorite genre to watch and now it's my favorite. Though, I still love comedy which I watched when I was younger and still watch now. But, yeah. My taste has definitely evolved over the years. With some continuing watching trends (like comedy anime).
Mar 6, 3:26 PM

Aug 2013
It works in opposite way mostly for people, even anime itself proves it kinda since AOT is shonen despite drama and bloody deaths when Non Non Biyori is seinen but your typical kawaii anime about cute girls doing cute things. First I watched heavy anime which I could find and only then comedy anime and relaxing stuff. But it doesn't mean I won't watch something serious and thought provoking now, it's just modern anime are much simpler on emotional level and colorful - both in terms of color palette and overall mood. Where are my equivalents of Berserk (1997), Texhnolyze, Akira, Ghost in the Shell (1995), Evangelion (1995), Monster? I had a feeling that there won't by anything like that anymore since Japanese and anime industry changed too drastically. First you find some nice and tough anime but then it just ends with pathetic plot twists and apologies from author which went nuts, or you simply get some second-hand anime with recycled ideas but in undeveloped form despite they were developed nicely in original years ago. I have a feeling that modern youngsters are too emotionless and trapped in themselves but instead of being curious about thought-provoking things around they are all about stressful experience and doing relaxing stuff like oldmen.
LawgunMar 6, 3:34 PM
Mar 6, 3:46 PM

Oct 2022
It should be true, but I'm not so sure AOT is liked by older viewers it seems to be pretty popular among the younger.
Death Note is also popular across everyone. I'm planning on starting it maybe next week, looks pretty awesome and don't know why I missed it.
Mar 6, 6:43 PM
John Titor

Jul 2017
The older I grow, the more I like CGDCT animes.
Mi música chiptune (auténtica, no fakebit) / My chiptune music (real, no fakebit)
YouTube
Battle of the Bits
SoundCloud
Mar 6, 6:51 PM

Oct 2014
I don't think I really went that route tbh. I started out with a lot of harems, then started watching more CGDCT, then discovered magical girl and idol anime and watched a bunch of those. I do watch the occasional serious anime, but I still watch a lot of cute stuff.
Mar 6, 8:50 PM
Author & GameDev

Sep 2008
It comes in phases for me. One month I am really into Isekai, another I am really into slice of life or romance and the next I'm into sports or whatever. Sometimes no anime at all, especially if I am in a league of legends phase. I've watched all types of anime my whole life. Started with DBZ on Toonami then my first sub anime being a kenshin Ova when I was 15. Now, 20 years later I watch the same genres I watched then but the quantity has drastically increased. I have been watching almost everything that releases. So I would have to say, age didn't effect me much and won't effect me as I grow older.

In terms of serious anime... is there any? lol

🌟 Embracing the boundless worlds of anime, one episode at a time. 🌟
Add me to chat, would love to talk about anime, games or just life! Discord ID: TheKoricy
Mar 6, 9:11 PM
Oct 2019
Reply to Koricy
It comes in phases for me. One month I am really into Isekai, another I am really into slice of life or romance and the next I'm into sports or whatever. Sometimes no anime at all, especially if I am in a league of legends phase. I've watched all types of anime my whole life. Started with DBZ on Toonami then my first sub anime being a kenshin Ova when I was 15. Now, 20 years later I watch the same genres I watched then but the quantity has drastically increased. I have been watching almost everything that releases. So I would have to say, age didn't effect me much and won't effect me as I grow older.

In terms of serious anime... is there any? lol

@Koricy plenty of serious series especially if the source material come from seinen or Josei magazine. The thing is seinen series the few popular some think they define the demographic while it's far from it.
Mar 6, 11:13 PM

Jun 2016
This doesn't really apply to me, I didn't start watching anime until I was 25 and I started with Girls und Panzer.
Mar 7, 12:17 AM

Dec 2020
i think weirdly enough i watch more kids anime and stupid battle shounens now than what i did as a kid, just due to not much airing on tv at the time. the only anime that aired here were on late at a time that i wasn't allowed TV, or had some kind of NSFW/Gore to them that probably wouldn't fly with my parents

i'd say anime i classify as serious to be something not necessarily always dark or gory, but more so on the end of topics being hard to find investment if you're young, like it's unsaid that you won't see a 9 year old loving every second and willingly watching LOGH (or a anime about adult life issues) as opposed to stuff like Naruto. but something serious can still contain dark/gory-ness either way.
I like Közi a healthy amount.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
This is no joke I'm really going to do it this time.
Mar 7, 12:31 AM

Jul 2011
If someone still love anime while growing up, they are going to watch whatever becouse not always you can find the right anime for your taste, is just that you becoume more picky becouse you easily spot overrated/overpopular series...overused themes, overused clichés, bad animation and more...things you don't notice as much as a novice
DortMar 7, 1:01 AM
Mar 7, 12:33 AM

Jan 2021
The older I get the more I want to watch silly comedy animes. Life gets rougher as the years go by and dark times are ahead so I want to avoid any unnecessary drama and have more fun. I'm more inclined to drop a show if it looks like it's going too be too serious or have emotional conflict. One of the first things I do when scouting a new show is see if it has a drama tag and if so that's already one red flag against it.
Mar 7, 1:33 AM

Jun 2020
I don't feel like my taste changing at all. I still like to consume serious anime, balanced with some chill ones to enjoy. The only difference is how "serious" I am to take them seriously.
Mar 7, 1:41 AM

May 2021
My taste changed from romance anime for the waifus to now consuming shounen. I don't know if you can call it a good transition

Mar 7, 3:18 AM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Nah, getting older doesn't necessarily mean your tastes will change. One thing that I can definitely say is that I've become more critical and more analytical over time. When I was a dumb teenager, I wouldn't always notice obvious flaws, and I was way more impressionable than I am now. I used to be one of those kids who rate shows on a scale from 6-10 lol. It's the reason why I decided to wipe my anime list at one point and re-watch everything again to give it a more level-headed rating.

I'm 33 and I still love romance and ecchi/erotica anime. I still love cute girls. I still love isekais. Meanwhile, I always found the "serious" anime painfully boring, and oftentimes pretentious and badly written. Great example of that is the anime you mentioned, Monster. It has horrendous writing, terrible pacing and a lack of resolution, but for some reason the western community seems afraid of admitting its faults. Because there are so few "serious" animes, the few that exist automatically get a free pass and 8/10 to 10/10 ratings. People are social creatures, so when they see that a "serious" and "adult" show has a high rating, they are afraid of rating it low because of peer pressure. Rating those "mature" shows low would invite negative comments from their peers, such as "you don't get it" or "you're childish" etc. While in reality, those shows have little good going for them apart from having a more serious and realistic tone.

Or maybe people are just not bright enough to notice the horrendous writing. I'm like 50/50 split if it's because of peer pressure (aka sheep mentality) or because of the IQ bell curve.
BigBoyAdvanceMar 7, 3:25 AM
Mar 7, 3:40 AM

Jan 2019
i watch more trash shows or just sols nowadays than serious shows. so its the opposite for me.
Mar 7, 3:57 AM

May 2020
My taste seems to be regressing with age.

Maybe try sleeping?

Mar 7, 4:07 AM

May 2022
I just watch whatever I want. I'll be watching some dark psychological anime and then watch some silly slapstick comedy anime right after that.

My taste hasn't really changed for the past few years other than some really small things.
Mar 7, 11:42 AM

Jan 2024
It is the opposite to me. I went from dark and mature stuff to kiddy stuff.
Mar 7, 11:43 AM

Sep 2014
I noticed I barely watch serious shows anymore, it was all I did when I started.

Now I just dont have the attention span or energy to keep myself invested. I started Penguindrum 2 years ago and never watched the final ep. I started Sonny Boy in January and had to force myself to watch even 6 eps.

What changed is I need to focus more and set aside some mental energy and time, but when the time comes I would much rather just use all that energy to do something more valuable.

PS: Glad to see Im not alone with this exact developement. Its not even like Im bored by anime, I can binge some isekai or CGDCT show just fine!
Comander-07Mar 7, 11:46 AM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Mar 7, 12:20 PM
Jul 2021
opposite. I get easily turned off by weird fetish stuff because I'm stupid and thinks its all real. Now even the bathing fanservice scene where female characters grope each other feels wrong and ntr. Yet I still continue watching them
Mar 7, 12:45 PM

Jul 2010
I was enjoying Code Geass, FMA, DN etc. when I was 14-15 yo, so age is irrelevant, I'll continue to enjoy various genres.
Mar 7, 12:53 PM

Apr 2016
No shift, I still enjoy the anime I enjoyed as a child and I haven't "moved on" to "serious™" stuff.
I also still dislike the anime that I disliked as a child (Pokémon for example).
Mar 7, 4:00 PM

Apr 2020
Opposite for me:

When I was younger I always WANTED to move on, just like you said. There was a time when I didn't think something non-serious could be a 10/10.
My narrow, pretentious mind didn't allow me to watch something silly or just something that looked cool - just for enjoyment.

Nowadays I just like what I like. It doesn't need to be "Seinen" or "Deep" or "Adult Cast". It doesn't matter.
Forced seriousness and Anime claiming to be mature, so dudes on the internet can act like watching said Shows is somehow making them a bit more of an adult than everyone else is an idea so silly that Im glad I grew out of it^^

Also....lmao you threw in Hentai.... o.O
So Basically: Jerking off to cartoon girls is a bit more grown up than watching Pokemon?^^ I don't think so.
Mar 7, 4:08 PM

Dec 2023
my taste is mostly exactly the same since I got into anime at age 11 I always watched a variety of genres fantasy, action, supernatural, mecha, sci-fi, romance, boys love, girls love, comedy, ect. some of the shows I seen in those genres could be considered mature or dark while others were more for young teens or even kids I can enjoy both childish and mature things though I noticed I do tend to enjoy stuff that's considered shounen more than seinen lol I just like what I like though overall. only change since I was a kid maybe is that I used to watch some harem shows but now I tend to avoid that genre mostly as I got tired of all the tropes .
Akumahime66Mar 7, 4:32 PM
Mar 7, 4:08 PM

Aug 2018
"serious" anime seems more and more ridiculous the older I get. Only teens are impressed by this shit.
Mar 7, 4:14 PM

Apr 2015
I am actually watching way more silly stuff with years lol.

I like serious seinen stuff too. But i don't enjoy some series trying to be too edgy or a bunch of teen thinking like adults.
Mar 7, 8:41 PM

May 2018
I don't know about serious, but as I get older I enjoy conceptual material more. Is it out there? Does it make me think? Does it make me say "wtf did I just watch?" If anything I tend to like the absurd more, and the serious stuff less.

GO DRINK SOME WATER! FOOL!!!
Mar 7, 10:19 PM
#borntoboil

Jan 2021
I've always had the "I like what I like" mentality. Really, there's no point in changing what I like the older I get because I think it's stupid. I'd much rather watch a gag series than rewathc something like Monster or Kaiba, not to discredit those but my taste has always been a weird one. Doubt that it'll change, though.
is it really worf to put things in here like nobody reads these

discord ~ ganjimex

Mar 26, 10:27 PM
Jul 2012
I watched all different genres when I was younger, and I still watch them to this day. As long as they have an interesting premise and tell an entertaining story, I'm in. From Sailor Moon to Gushing Over Magical Girls, Gundam Wing to Iron-Blooded Orphans, Tenchi Muyo to Konosuba, Record of Lodoss War to Freiren: Beyond Journey's End, Dragon Ball Z to Demon Slayer, and so many more, I just want interesting stories, and they all still deliver.
Mar 27, 4:13 AM

Aug 2020
I am so serious now that my favorite animu is Fox News lol get over it

Mar 27, 9:43 AM

Jan 2021
As I get older I feel more need for lighthearted

I read and watched too much of the serious stuff
Mar 28, 6:46 AM
Jul 2023
I don't think my tastes will change over time because I generally watch seinen or comedy.(Example: I last watched Jormungand.)
9765Mar 28, 6:51 AM
Mar 28, 11:49 AM

Aug 2012
I wouldn't say my tastes have changed but more that they expanded.
I still love watching battle shounens just like when I was a teen, but I also enjoyed watching more serious stuff like Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu, which I never would've liked back then. I tend to watch more older stuff now too.
Mar 30, 6:11 AM

Mar 2021
You like what you like. Liking juvenile shit doesn't make you a child nor liking mature shit gonna make you an adult. Taste doesn't have to do with this. Yes age can nake you appreciate or dislike a series more but thats a whole other thing.

On other hand the guys gleefully claiming that they don't like serious anime while all else who likes it are those that can't see the flaws like their prestigious ass, are genuinely a dumbfuck.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

34 by LostSpectre »»
6 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

37 by LostSpectre »»
8 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - 2 hours ago

7 by Lucifrost »»
14 minutes ago

» Do you have any special memories from the anime fandom?

RobertBobert - 7 hours ago

2 by RobertBobert »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 25

72 by Avicebrons »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.