Forum Settings
Forums

Why are romance and slice of life anime always highest rated each season?

New
Jan 8, 2:21 AM
Aug 2013
Hi, I want to know why every season if you look at the anime with the highest scores and rating it's always majority of them being romance and slice of life anime. My theory is because all the hyped anime are action anime and people like to just purposely give low scores to all the hyped anime. Unless it's just because more people are watching and voting overall for the hyped action shounen/seinen series that means the score will be lower because more people are voting and it's easier to have a higher score when less people vote for it because you can sway the vote significantly easier when there's less votes

For example 1 in 100 is a higher fraction than 1 in 1 million....so the anime with less votes tend to be scored higher and are easier to sway the score around.

My other theory being there's just more girls than guys in the anime community now (don't know if it's true) but that could be why more people are preferring romance (majority being girls)..... or maybe it's just the guys obsessed with waifu's??

Actually want to know why though...and no, don't tell me the obvious answer which I already know "because they're better they have a higher score" that isn't true.
~AnimeDownUnder~

Jan 8, 2:28 AM
Jun 2021
They're the current-day meme. I'm pretty sure this whole romcom thing started off when Kaguya-sama got massively astroturfed by YouTubers, and we know how much influence they have on everything.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Jan 8, 2:30 AM

May 2018
Because those are the normiest genres. The normie fanbase is the least demanding. They eat any shit with pleasure and claim it's the god's nectar.

Jan 8, 2:45 AM

Sep 2018
Bokuyaba is literally the only romance or slice of life among the top 4 highest rated anime of each season of 2023. If we count the current season, there's one more (Yubisaki to Renren). What are you talking about?
Jan 8, 2:51 AM

Mar 2023
Because the anime community is filled with boring people who likes boring things.
Jan 8, 2:55 AM

Jan 2023
The rankings are meaningless.

Besides, each score is very subjective.
For example, you rated Monster a 10, and I gave it a 6, giving it some extra points.

In short, it's not even worth looking at.
Jan 8, 3:40 AM

Feb 2018
It's harder to fuck up a romance/SoL story. Hollywood used to drop RomCom's like crazy for the same reason.
Jan 8, 3:43 AM

Sep 2016
because love is the singular element that makes up the universe
infinite money glitch click here for money free mony click here real

Jan 8, 4:21 AM

Jan 2010
Why romance or slice of life is popular ?Its because we grow up as community and dont search only for cheap action anime anymore.Sometimes we want to feel relaxed,happy,sad.
Jan 8, 4:23 AM

Feb 2020
They are often relatable and easy to consume.
Jan 8, 5:09 AM

Jan 2020
I watch romance anime a lot and this doesn't surprise me at all since I can relate to such shows easily - at least from my perspective.

Other than that, the rankings are pretty much subjective.

Jan 8, 5:28 AM

Aug 2020
Because they are good and they get even more popular because of whiny kids that call it bad

Jan 8, 5:33 AM
Apr 2021
because shounen are garbage same power up x friendship trash repeated or cuz i right u wrong me know better wait maybe u right i wrong but since ur villian i m will right cuz plot says so.
Jan 8, 5:47 AM

Oct 2016
Because otakus are lonely and sad, that's why those titles are watched and beloved.
Jan 8, 6:02 AM

Nov 2020
SoL and romance is a safe option for most authors which really does work. It would really be hard for a SoL to be bad just add some cute characters then have decent animation and youre pretty much good to go. As for romance most romance nowadays are bad tbh but they often has a ton of watchers maybe because of waifus or the lack of irl romance.

others shows(shonen) on the other hand has a ton of places where it could fail compared to those other two genres. besides am I the only one who is tired of action/fighting stuffs?

most of us(atleast I do) just want a relaxing chill anime right before I go to bed
Jan 8, 6:07 AM

Jan 2009
you said it already few watchers means higher scores while many watchers means lower scores its just the magic of statistics
Jan 8, 6:16 AM

Oct 2014
Reply to deg
you said it already few watchers means higher scores while many watchers means lower scores its just the magic of statistics
@deg It's usually the other way around. Normies tend to be more forgiving with scores so well watched anime get really high scores even if they aren't very good while anime that don't get watched much attract people who have seen more anime and are usually more critical with their scores.
Jan 8, 6:19 AM

Oct 2014
I think sol and romcom are probably easier to do well. Action anime have more components to be done poorly and to receive negative reviews. There's still lots of highly rated action anime, but when a lot of the enjoyment of a show comes from the technical aspects of it there's only so many shows that can pull that off, while with sol and romcom the writing is more important than the animation so several shows of that type can rise to the top of the charts.
Jan 8, 6:19 AM

Dec 2017
Maybe it's just me but I see more action anime with higher scores every season than romance or SoL. Yes Frieren is battle shounen.
❝Kabo-chan is ran by the MAL staff team and does not respond to individual comments made on her profile.❞
I was immensely devastated.
Jan 8, 6:22 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to zombie_pegasus
@deg It's usually the other way around. Normies tend to be more forgiving with scores so well watched anime get really high scores even if they aren't very good while anime that don't get watched much attract people who have seen more anime and are usually more critical with their scores.
@zombie_pegasus so sol and romance have lower scores then? op is wrong?
Jan 8, 6:26 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to zombie_pegasus
I think sol and romcom are probably easier to do well. Action anime have more components to be done poorly and to receive negative reviews. There's still lots of highly rated action anime, but when a lot of the enjoyment of a show comes from the technical aspects of it there's only so many shows that can pull that off, while with sol and romcom the writing is more important than the animation so several shows of that type can rise to the top of the charts.
@zombie_pegasus that contradicts what you said to me though but yes action shows have more negative reception hence lower score but high amount of viewers
Jan 8, 6:30 AM

Oct 2014
Reply to deg
@deg There's about 4x as many action anime as sol anime, but in most seasons they do make up more than that proportion of the top list, even if they aren't usually the highest rated anime of the season.
Jan 8, 6:33 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to zombie_pegasus
@deg There's about 4x as many action anime as sol anime, but in most seasons they do make up more than that proportion of the top list, even if they aren't usually the highest rated anime of the season.
@zombie_pegasus so whats wrong with more popularity means lower scores as a rule of thumb then? when it applies to action shows
Jan 8, 6:34 AM

Sep 2018
Reply to deg
@deg Yes, OP is wrong. If we exclude sequels because their scores are always inflated, action and drama have a way easier time getting high scores than any other genre.
Jan 8, 6:39 AM
危ないお兄さん

Nov 2016
Ez coz they want waifu as simple as that lolll

Jan 8, 6:45 AM
Oct 2014
Top 3 from fall 2023 - 0 romance/sol, Top 3 from summer 2023 - 0, Top 3 from spring 2023 - 1 romance (minority), Top 3 from winter 2023 - 0. I don't count current season since first it has to at least air all titles, not to mention It would be proper to look at in april or preferably in july (to make sure everything is finished).

Your definition of "always" is quite interesting. We could go for top 6 from each of those seasons, still you won't find even 1 with at least 4 (majority) sol and/or romance titles (and winter 23 will still be 0 ;) ).
Jan 8, 6:51 AM

Oct 2014
deg said:
@zombie_pegasus so whats wrong with more popularity means lower scores as a rule of thumb then? when it applies to action shows

Popularity and score are generally correlated. Even with the sol and romcoms that OP complains about, the ones that have the highest scores are also the ones that are watched by the most people. It's a positive feedback loop, too, since people get interested in shows with high ratings giving them more popularity and they're influenced by the existing score. Low scored anime remain in obscurity, both with action and sol anime.
Jan 8, 7:02 AM

Sep 2020
Why do you believe that girls would rather watch romance / SOL than action-packed Shounen or Seinen?
Jan 8, 7:14 AM

Nov 2020
I really don't know what are you talking about, what I'm seeing every season is battle shounen/isekai got average higher rated than romance/slice of life
What Does Pot of Greed do?
Jan 8, 7:35 AM
May 2011
Reply to Elitar
Top 3 from fall 2023 - 0 romance/sol, Top 3 from summer 2023 - 0, Top 3 from spring 2023 - 1 romance (minority), Top 3 from winter 2023 - 0. I don't count current season since first it has to at least air all titles, not to mention It would be proper to look at in april or preferably in july (to make sure everything is finished).

Your definition of "always" is quite interesting. We could go for top 6 from each of those seasons, still you won't find even 1 with at least 4 (majority) sol and/or romance titles (and winter 23 will still be 0 ;) ).
@Elitar Great job with the fact check of the OP's claim. Unless he considers Frieren, Apothecary Diaries, and Oshi no Ko SOL.
Jan 8, 8:42 AM

Jul 2016
My theory is that you take mals scores too seriously. :detective-monocle:
Jan 8, 8:47 AM

Aug 2013
Reply to TheMechaManiac
They're the current-day meme. I'm pretty sure this whole romcom thing started off when Kaguya-sama got massively astroturfed by YouTubers, and we know how much influence they have on everything.
@TheMechaManiac
My God, tourists like you are hilarious.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 8, 8:48 AM

Apr 2021
Brother your statement is wrong in the first place
Jan 8, 9:19 AM

Dec 2020
because they're better they have a higher score

Jan 8, 11:58 AM
Jun 2021
Reply to rsc-pl
@TheMechaManiac
My God, tourists like you are hilarious.
@rsc-pl >calls me tourist
>tourist himself
They literally weren't a thing until Gigguk and co started shilling on corpo orders.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Jan 8, 12:11 PM

Jan 2008
Slow and easy to digest. Often lack any deep meaningful thought. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But they are easy and people feel good about easy and good feelings make people rate higher. And in general because anything with action tends to get more downvoters who just dump on shounen thinking they're edgy. Edit: and shounen tends to get a higher demographic. The more popular something is the more likely people will instantly dislike it.
Jan 8, 12:21 PM

Aug 2013
Reply to TheMechaManiac
@rsc-pl >calls me tourist
>tourist himself
They literally weren't a thing until Gigguk and co started shilling on corpo orders.
@TheMechaManiac Romance series weren't a thing before some rando normie youtuber started talking about them literally 2 or 3 years ago? Lmao. You can't be serious here. I almost took the bait. My bad.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 8, 12:28 PM
Jul 2016
Everyone wants what they can't have :(
Jan 8, 12:37 PM

Apr 2015
Why is there always a conspiracy as to why SoL and romance are highly rated? Are people not allowed to rate them high or something?
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Jan 8, 4:35 PM

Jul 2021
AnimeDownUnder said:
if you look at the anime with the highest scores and rating it's always majority of them being romance and slice of life anime

Is this really true? What makes you say that? Unless you explain that, I don't think there is much to explain.

Last season (Fall 2023):

1. Frieren (9.14)
2. Apothecary Diaries (8.80)
3. Eminence in Shadow (8.46)
4. Dr. Stone (8.36)
5. Spy x Family (8.09)
6. My New Boss is Goofy (8.03)
7. Shangri-La Frontier (7.97)
8. 100 Girlfriends (7.91)
9. The Yuzuki Family's Four Sons (7.90)
10. Ancient Magus Bride (7.86)

I see 1 romance and 3 slice-of-life shows (Spy x Family included). The other 6 are a mix of fantasy, drama, and action.

For the season before that (Summer 2023), I see 3 romance/SoL shows in top 10.

Do you actually mean to say there are too many romance/slice-of-life shows so high-up? If so, what makes you say that?

Jan 8, 4:45 PM

Aug 2018
because light hearted comedy and romance is what anime does best. action anime and battle shounen is 99% trash.
Jan 8, 4:50 PM

Apr 2020
Cause...uhm...people....like them the most? xD
It not necessarily a big conspiracy to take down all the hyped Shows out there, that aren't Slice of Life or Romance ...

Chill^^
Let the people like what they like. They're not out to spoil your fun xD

Also...the majority of the Anime-Community beeing female is just...wrong.
Cmon now^^

Jan 8, 4:58 PM

Jun 2017
It's what audiences like nowadays. Like how in the past it was always Shonen or before that, it was Mecha.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Jan 8, 9:43 PM
Aug 2013
Thank you everyone for the answers.
~AnimeDownUnder~

More topics from this board

» Do you wish your culture was more represent in anime?

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

11 by Zettaiken »»
23 seconds ago

» Have you ever divorced your waifu? (ex-waifu) ( 1 2 )

EndlessMaria - Aug 12, 2022

50 by mizukasa »»
30 seconds ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 11 hours ago

23 by mizukasa »»
5 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

42 by KitsuFrost »»
8 minutes ago

» Anime that you started watching because of Social Media

ST63LTH - 4 hours ago

17 by AMBITZZ »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.