Available on Manga Store
New
Is the English dubbing good for you?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 6, 2:59 AM

May 2022
Reply to APolygons2
LordKirkis said:
Dungeon Meshi has plenty of Comedy and nuances that would be very difficult to be replicated and/or translated by westerners. In my opinion watching any comedy heavy anime in dubs is an awful choice. Shout out to Konosuba dub team; they did an admirable job! Nevertheless I would still 100% recommend the Japanese voice actors for Konosuba as they are supremely talented and have honed their craft over many years specifically for Japanese animated characters where westerns would never.

I watched episode 1 of it dubbed, and it's ok. as far as dubs go, it's the middle ground, and from what I heard in the trailer, the sub does sound better in this case.

But I have to say, I strongly disagree with your point in comedy. Like I actually have the exact opposite opinion. I think comedy is one of THE places where I always go with the dub, just because I think jokes are way funnier when you hear them.

I kaguya sama's case for example, I actually watched the sub first, and then rewatched the entire s1 and 2 in dub when s3 was coming out, and I enjoyed it SO MUCH more that I increased by an entire score. I laughed way more, got way more emotionally invested and just ended up enjoying myself far more in general.

from my experience, if the dub is good, it makes comedies far funnier. at least to me, but then again, comedy is extremely subjective, so it's not like I am trying to prove anything by saying all this.
@APolygons2

I personally have the hardest time enjoying comedy shows dubbed; could just be how I perceive the voice actors at times.. they sound forced to my ears.
It could also be that comedy requires more energy and certainly skill to produce convincing voice work.

One thing I noticed that does not happen very often was that Konosuba Dub Team actually paid very close attention to the original Japanese voice work; Specifically I noticed how close in tone they were (eng & jap). For this reason I actually found the English dubs pretty impressive. Rather then go about it their own way Konosuba dub team drew inspiration from the original voice work and maintained that as their framework. This manner of dub is one that is most respectable I think.. and the one likely to better retain original characterization. I think if I saw more of that, Id be more open to dub stuff.

All that said though.. comedy is definitely super subjective. and we will enjoy what we will enjoy at the end of the day.

Also unrelated, but listed by you and I wholly agree; 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim, Super Mario Galaxy 2 & Bloodborne truly are some of the GOAT games.
LordKirkisJan 6, 3:37 AM
Jan 6, 3:04 AM

Apr 2016
I don't mind it, I grew up watching a lot of English dubs. It's just a matter of preference for a lot of people.
Jan 6, 4:38 AM

Feb 2023
Yeah, the english dub is tast... I mean great. I'll be looking forward to Dungeon Meshi Thursdays every week.
Jan 6, 5:37 PM

Mar 2021
Have not seen the dub, but I do wanna note that TIL Damien Haas (of Smosh fame) is on MAL. Not quite expected.

Jan 6, 6:38 PM

Aug 2021
The dub wasn't that bad this time
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 14, 1:16 AM

May 2016
I'm surprised that there's such a broadly positive response to the dub. It isn't terrible, but as usual it's quite flat compared to the Japanese VAs. The stakes are often poorly communicated in Dungeon Meshi so the characters really do need freak out to sell it. The voices are all pretty uh... generic? Apart from Emily Rudd as Marcille who, while still underacting (IMO), seems quite talented and passively sounds distinguishable from a Stereotypical American Female VA.

I do feel everyone's standard of acting improved greatly in the second episode though.
Jan 16, 11:09 AM
Dec 2021
No, but I mean, is there an anime where dub is good?
Jan 16, 5:35 PM

Apr 2015
I think it's pretty good so far. Elf girl's VA is pretty good with her way of doing her audible interest/disgust of the food.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Jan 16, 7:34 PM

Aug 2020
Gonna be honest. I find myself wanting to watch the dub over the sub after checking out clips.

Emily Rudd is super talented. Same person who played Nami in the One Piece live action. Nails Marcille to a tee.
Keep scrolling
Jan 17, 3:05 PM

Feb 2020
Yes, I have been watching it in English dub. I would suggest just to give it a try to see if you enjoy it. That's what I did.
Jan 29, 9:46 AM

Apr 2016
Reply to GangsterCat
all dubs are trash
can't believe all the "Yes" on the polls
the absolute state of modern anime fans. can't even appreciate the source material, everything has to be sanitized and converted to americanism
@GangsterCat this but unironically
Jan 31, 12:25 PM
Jan 2022
I think the dub is good but the VA in the sub are just on another level. I used to be dub only, but now I choose depending on the quality of VA and it’s like 80/20 sub to dub.
Feb 8, 3:48 PM
Jul 2021
Just finished episode 6 and gotta say Chill Chuck's VA is very good. Hope he gets more projects; the elf and human seem have grown more comfortable in the roles too since episode 1.
Feb 8, 10:16 PM

May 2019
While 99% of the anime I watch is subbed I am watching this one dubbed since it's being released at the same time and I think the English voice actors/actresses are doing a good job.
Feb 8, 10:18 PM
May 2016
I've watched a couple of episodes, and the voice acting is on point.
Feb 9, 10:46 AM
Aug 2016
Reply to Stink_Bug
Just finished episode 6 and gotta say Chill Chuck's VA is very good. Hope he gets more projects; the elf and human seem have grown more comfortable in the roles too since episode 1.
@Stink_Bug Casey Mongillo is quite seasoned at this point. Casey's highest profiled role probably is the new voice of Shinji from Evangelion. They have done all type of roles, both male and female.
Feb 9, 2:50 PM
Jul 2021
Reply to banninghamma
@Stink_Bug Casey Mongillo is quite seasoned at this point. Casey's highest profiled role probably is the new voice of Shinji from Evangelion. They have done all type of roles, both male and female.
@banninghamma Can’t imagine them doing a female voice, but they’re certainly very skilled at young/teen male voice. Hope to hear more roles from them in the future.
Feb 9, 3:03 PM
Apr 2023
Pretty unequal so far but it's getting better with every episodes.

Casey has a bit of a "one voice" issue to my ear even if it fits Chilchuck well

ProZD is as usual carrying and better than the original cast in my opinion as Senshi

Rest is ok, I get what they were going for with Marcil and Laois voices

We'll have to see when the cast broadens if they keep it up (I'm blind but I assume all the people in the intro will be in the party at some point)
Feb 9, 10:51 PM
Aug 2016
Reply to Stink_Bug
@banninghamma Can’t imagine them doing a female voice, but they’re certainly very skilled at young/teen male voice. Hope to hear more roles from them in the future.
@Stink_Bug

Feb 12, 6:12 AM
Oct 2021
Since I'm a Filipino I don't interested to watch dub animes especially English which made kinda annoying. English speaking countries like America, UK and Australia like dub anime but some non speaking countries like Europe (except UK and England) and Asia they don't like or don't care about dub anime. They prefer watching sub anime to learn how to speak japanese.
Apr 5, 7:12 AM
Jul 2013
Genuinely shocked at 60% yeah. It’s not good. Like, Pokeani dub casting change levels bad. To say the least, I do not enjoy it
Apr 5, 7:29 AM
Jul 2013
Reply to Bejitto
No, but I mean, is there an anime where dub is good?
@Bejitto lots of classic anime had good voice acting. Well, I still enjoy the deliveries to this day. Maybe they weren’t good when they released who knows. But i enjoy them more than dubs in the last decade. If you look at dubs of older shows like OG Pokemon (hilarious), Inuyasha, Lucky Star, you’ll find some great voice acting. Of course OG Nge, i think Shinji’s annoying english voice is like has so much conviction compared to what’s released today and I love it. Even naruto has good voice acting in comparison to today (but the pacing…is a killer…so slow…). Good voice acting is just good acting. Bad voice acting is always awkward, poorly delivered lines, with either little to no conviction, or with misplaced voicing. Why is there so much back of the head “soft yelling” in dubs lately??? Its like cheap homemade youtube dub level cringe. But its “professional dubs” THE BAR IS SO LOW.
Apr 5, 7:33 AM
Jul 2013
Reply to APolygons2
@Piromysl

Are you just saying that cause "ew dubs icky" or did you actually watch it?

The person asking is clearly ok with dubs to be considering it, so it would be pretty selfish to tell him it's terrible if you haven't heard it.
@APolygons2 I heard it and its bad. Unwatchable, unlistenable. For me. It had some good things, but the bads blew it out of the water. Not good,imo
Apr 5, 7:35 AM
Jul 2013
Reply to Piromysl
@APolygons2 Bro, after I've heard dubbed Freiren (out of morbid curiosity), it gave me real fight or flight response and people actually praising that, I've come to conclusion that problem is not on my side. Her voice does not fit her at all and that voice actress does such a pitiful performance, that Freiren seems to have completely different personality while dubbed. But this might be related to recent localizer drama and the fact, that localizers just piss on the source material.
@Piromysl i wanted to jump out the window when I heard Frieren. It was not enjoyable
Apr 5, 7:43 AM

Jul 2015

I wouldn't blame the voice actress. They told her to read the script so she did just that, nothing else and they approved it. Because it's so fkin obvious that she is just reading the script and not even trying to act, because she doesn't show any emotions.

Apr 12, 5:53 AM
Apr 2018
Namari’s voice is terrible I thought she was actually a dude in-show when I heard her, but it turns out they just used a guy for her dub. đź« 
Apr 12, 2:41 PM

Mar 2013
Reply to APolygons2
LordKirkis said:
Dungeon Meshi has plenty of Comedy and nuances that would be very difficult to be replicated and/or translated by westerners. In my opinion watching any comedy heavy anime in dubs is an awful choice. Shout out to Konosuba dub team; they did an admirable job! Nevertheless I would still 100% recommend the Japanese voice actors for Konosuba as they are supremely talented and have honed their craft over many years specifically for Japanese animated characters where westerns would never.

I watched episode 1 of it dubbed, and it's ok. as far as dubs go, it's the middle ground, and from what I heard in the trailer, the sub does sound better in this case.

But I have to say, I strongly disagree with your point in comedy. Like I actually have the exact opposite opinion. I think comedy is one of THE places where I always go with the dub, just because I think jokes are way funnier when you hear them.

I kaguya sama's case for example, I actually watched the sub first, and then rewatched the entire s1 and 2 in dub when s3 was coming out, and I enjoyed it SO MUCH more that I increased by an entire score. I laughed way more, got way more emotionally invested and just ended up enjoying myself far more in general.

from my experience, if the dub is good, it makes comedies far funnier. at least to me, but then again, comedy is extremely subjective, so it's not like I am trying to prove anything by saying all this.
I quite like the dub of Dungeon Meshi. Especially the voice actress of Marcille has a pretty unique voice which I like. I also like the narrator and senshi.

@APolygons2 I agree with you on the comedy part. They are almost always better in dub than in sub. There are usually a lot of word play jokes in comedies and as long as you are not a fluent japanese speaker you wont understand them (and having them explained to you in a subtitle is basically ruining the joke)... a good dub, like the one of Kaguya sama, will then add new jokes specifically for english speakers.
LockensockeApr 12, 2:47 PM
Apr 12, 2:57 PM

Oct 2019
Reply to Lockensocke
I quite like the dub of Dungeon Meshi. Especially the voice actress of Marcille has a pretty unique voice which I like. I also like the narrator and senshi.

@APolygons2 I agree with you on the comedy part. They are almost always better in dub than in sub. There are usually a lot of word play jokes in comedies and as long as you are not a fluent japanese speaker you wont understand them (and having them explained to you in a subtitle is basically ruining the joke)... a good dub, like the one of Kaguya sama, will then add new jokes specifically for english speakers.
Lockensocke said:

Honestly, I agree.

I wrote that originally purely based on episode 1, and I think now that all the VAs have gotten fully in character, it's actually genuinely great. The voices also grew on me more, and right now that I'm episode 15, I'm kind of absolutely loving the dub.

Since I'm rewatching it right now, I might as well say this even though it's mostly unrelated. If you ever wanted to watch Akudama drive, definitely go with the dub. I genuinely think it's one of the best modern anime dubs you can find.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Yesterday, 9:49 AM
Jan 2017
Reply to Piromysl
@APolygons2 Nah, bro. As I said, I'm way past of assuming it is subjective matter and people praising Freiren dub fully convinced me, that they are simply out of touch.

There is also of matter of English VA (especially anime) industry being completely filled with degenerates, hypocrites and Twitterans, which I absolutely refuse to support in any way. Not even pirate.
@Piromysl "they are simply out of touch" -hilariously out of touch person

You can't make this shit up lmao
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dungeon Meshi Episode 18 Discussion

Stark700 - Today

41 by basskiller »»
18 minutes ago

» Dungeon Meshi Blu-ray Box / DVD vol.1 sold 2,766 copies in its first week.

deg - Apr 30

27 by Ionliosite2 »»
1 hour ago

» Delicious in dungeon connection to dungeons and dragons

Seruki123 - Yesterday

11 by Merve2Love »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Dungeon Meshi Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 25

114 by Kanzaki_Makoto »»
Today, 7:00 AM

» is this only moderately popular because its seinen?

deg - Apr 24

48 by alshu »»
Today, 1:33 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.