Forum Settings
Forums

Future Fears with AI generated imagery in animation and manga

New
Dec 22, 2023 11:07 AM

Oct 2017
A CBR article just came out about how the Beyblade X anime series used AI generated images in their music video for the full ending theme uploaded onto Youtube. As a member of the Beyblade community I was rather shocked to see this happen and popular Beyblade Youtuber and WBO competitor Zankye put it best when he called this use of AI "devoid of soul and talent" and "a fucking disgrace". The CBR article also mentions other similar incidents recently such as the director of Bleach Thousand Year Blood war saying that AI should be used to "Replace lazy animators" as well as calling the ground floor animators who are overworked and underpaid "leeches", and a recent Black Jack 50th anniversary one-shot using an AI generated script for the story. As someone who is trying to improve at art and writing myself, this genuinely makes me concerned for the future with how these companies are just flat out replacing or planning to replace human artists and writers to make soulless products that are devoid of the human touch needed to make art.... art. Art is defined as "the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination", so having a robot just generate images and text to replace humans isn't art, its completely the antithetical to the concept of art itself. I haven't really seen as many western companies and studios in the animation and comic industry trying to pull this off as much as Japanese ones, so it makes me concerned that this trend of Japanese studios replacing human artists may spread all across the world and fuck over creatives everywhere.
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 22, 2023 11:45 AM

Jan 2020
Yup, AI will replace human content creators in the near future. I like how in SF it’s always been portrayed that the robots will do all the dirty work instead of people so that people can focus on art, while in reality it
/ the exact opposite. Ironic, right? Well, it’s never late to go to vocational school and receive an education as a carpenter… I’ve already gone for that option though… Shit, I’m really out of options now…
Dec 22, 2023 12:00 PM

Dec 2017
It's started, and this is another instance of it,

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2023-12-21/the-ancient-magus-bride-manga-return-gets-simultaneous-english-release-using-ai-translation/.205774

And what's worse is their audacity to copyright those works. To me, the use of AI = nobody has any right to that particular work and they must be okay with free distribution.

Now, if they refuse to do that, eventually piracy will be at an all time high and I am all for it.
❝Kabo-chan is ran by the MAL staff team and does not respond to individual comments made on her profile.❞
I was immensely devastated.
Dec 22, 2023 12:02 PM
Jul 2018
It's saddening to see AI used in the Beyblade ED music video and posted on the official channel on top of that. It is also funny to see the use of AI mentioned in the credits as if stating its involvement makes it any better to begin with... Ultimately the blame lies with the Marketing team and MV Directors themselves for thinking that was the right move.

Luckily it isn't seen in the anime itself, but I can't help thinking about how Posuka wasn't even informed of them training a model on their work. Without regulation towards this issue I fear we'll be entering a dark age of art... there won't be much to see on the internet in order to prevent scraping.

[EDIT]: So many things being said in this thread that couldn't be further from the truth...
removed-userDec 22, 2023 1:39 PM
Dec 22, 2023 12:03 PM

Feb 2020
Yeah, I also feel a little bad about it. :C
Dec 22, 2023 12:06 PM

Apr 2012
Making anime involves an awful lot of donkey work as well as art. Using automated systems for things like backgrounds or in-betweening where what a human would do would be mostly formulaic is a good use of technology.

But "AI" generated script? That's not going to be any good.
Dec 22, 2023 12:11 PM

Mar 2023
Japan has a very low birth rate wich may explain why these companies want to use A.I to do the animation for them in the future.
Dec 22, 2023 12:16 PM

Jul 2021
AI is dope. People already managed to mass produce soulless garbage, especially in Hollywood in the last 10 years or so without AI.
AI can lower the barrier of entry for people who actually have something to say, and already good artists can use AI to make even better art.
There is no downside to it at all.
Dec 22, 2023 12:21 PM

Sep 2018
I embrace modernity: AI should take care of activities with very little value added, so that creatives will be able to focus on making real art where it really matters. Most frames in an anime aren't works of art in the first place, so I'm not afraid of AI.
Dec 22, 2023 12:29 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to karrotStick

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2023-12-21/the-ancient-magus-bride-manga-return-gets-simultaneous-english-release-using-ai-translation/.205774

And what's worse is their audacity to copyright those works. To me, the use of AI = nobody has any right to that particular work and they must be okay with free distribution.

Now, if they refuse to do that, eventually piracy will be at an all time high and I am all for it.
@karrotStick That's not a bad thing, copyright as is a total joke that's good for nothing except being used as a weapon by mega corporations.
Dec 22, 2023 12:39 PM

Mar 2021
LSSJ_Gaming said:
A CBR article just came out about how the Beyblade X anime series used AI generated images in their music video for the full ending theme uploaded onto Youtube. As a member of the Beyblade community I was rather shocked to see this happen and popular Beyblade Youtuber and WBO competitor Zankye put it best when he called this use of AI "devoid of soul and talent" and "a fucking disgrace". The CBR article also mentions other similar incidents recently such as the director of Bleach Thousand Year Blood war saying that AI should be used to "Replace lazy animators" as well as calling the ground floor animators who are overworked and underpaid "leeches", and a recent Black Jack 50th anniversary one-shot using an AI generated script for the story. As someone who is trying to improve at art and writing myself, this genuinely makes me concerned for the future with how these companies are just flat out replacing or planning to replace human artists and writers to make soulless products that are devoid of the human touch needed to make art.... art. Art is defined as "the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination", so having a robot just generate images and text to replace humans isn't art, its completely the antithetical to the concept of art itself. I haven't really seen as many western companies and studios in the animation and comic industry trying to pull this off as much as Japanese ones, so it makes me concerned that this trend of Japanese studios replacing human artists may spread all across the world and fuck over creatives everywhere.

AI generated imagery still requires someone to actually harness it much like one would harness computer generated drafting or drawing. Using AI to accomplish AI generated images would simply make part of the artists job simply easier much like how no one no longer hand draws animation from scratch do to technology. If anything seems more like propaganda to scare Animators in the industry to act more competitive.

I would be more worried about AI replacing Voice acting before AI would ever begin to completely replace entire teams of animators in the industry. Seeing since to generate voice acting even today one simply only needs enough samples of someones voice to accomplish this.
ColourWheelDec 23, 2023 12:29 AM
Dec 22, 2023 12:49 PM

Sep 2016
I've got no problem with AI generated animation, it just needs lots of feedback and training, then the results will probably be great in the near future.
Couldn't care less for some animators losing their jobs, that's just how it's going to be, there's no avoiding it anyway.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Dec 22, 2023 12:53 PM

Dec 2021
Lmao the director for Bleach TYBW is based af whatever that means.
Dec 22, 2023 1:17 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Jackof-allspades
Lmao the director for Bleach TYBW is based af whatever that means.
@Jackof-allspades Based either means you agree with the statement, or respect it's originality.
Dec 22, 2023 1:22 PM

Dec 2021
Will AI be used to make anime better, or will it be used to lay off hard workers so lazy producers can get even more money? Considering the capitalists think...

The CBR article also mentions other similar incidents recently such as the director of Bleach Thousand Year Blood war saying that AI should be used to "Replace lazy animators" as well as calling the ground floor animators who are overworked and underpaid "leeches",

... i highly suspect the latter, unfortunately. AI is garbage if it doesn't help the real workers.
Dec 22, 2023 1:35 PM

Mar 2008
As long as it uses art in it's database only from willing artists and they get financially compensated when something is generated that is ok for when making up something that isnt the main piece of animation. I think it makes more sense as an assistive technology rather than doing full drawings. I am not fond of AI "art" since it just has an uncanny valley look to it even when done well with custom lora models. Problem is being a low paid animator in lower positions is how the good animators start out, so where will the good animators come from ? There wont be any. Then there will be nothing to train AI with so everything will become increasingly derivative and stagnant.

Only computer STEMlords hype AI because they want to feel relevant ..but AI companies already plan on replacing programmers with AI so at least these people will be a relic of the past thanks to their own doing.
Dec 22, 2023 1:42 PM
Jul 2018
Reply to traed
As long as it uses art in it's database only from willing artists and they get financially compensated when something is generated that is ok for when making up something that isnt the main piece of animation. I think it makes more sense as an assistive technology rather than doing full drawings. I am not fond of AI "art" since it just has an uncanny valley look to it even when done well with custom lora models. Problem is being a low paid animator in lower positions is how the good animators start out, so where will the good animators come from ? There wont be any. Then there will be nothing to train AI with so everything will become increasingly derivative and stagnant.

Only computer STEMlords hype AI because they want to feel relevant ..but AI companies already plan on replacing programmers with AI so at least these people will be a relic of the past thanks to their own doing.
@traed

As long as it uses art in it's database only from willing artists and they get financially compensated when something is generated that is ok for when making up something that isnt the main piece of animation.

That's the main issue with this whole thing is that the artists are never willing, nor are they compensated properly.

I will say that expecting AI to handle inbetweening and deeming it "donkey work" as someone else stated is utterly hilarious as there's so much more that goes into it rather than just redrawing the same thing, though I wouldn't expect a non-animator to know that of course...
removed-userDec 22, 2023 1:50 PM
Dec 22, 2023 2:01 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to traed

@traed AI can't write code. Art can be generated by AI really well, because all you need to achieve was good approximations. Code writing can be sped up with AI, by generating the boiler plate, reducing the amount the programmer needs to type, but the actual logic absolutely needs humans to ensure correctness. Also there are some theoretical limits in computing theory, like for an arbitrary piece of code you can't algorithmically prove its correctness. The hyper calculating super intelligent AI of sci-fi movies aren't anywhere close.
Dec 22, 2023 2:14 PM

Oct 2013
Maybe they wouldn't be "lazy" if they were actually paid and treated well...Just a thought. But sure, let's replace them with AI instead. Highly doubt any of these workers will actually have the balls to go on strike, likely won't work out too well over there.

Anyways, for anyone who was complaining about cgi and bad animation before. Here you go.
FanofActionDec 22, 2023 2:29 PM
Dec 22, 2023 2:18 PM

Feb 2018
People can use AI all they want for their projects, but that won’t make them good. We are still very far from AI straight up replacing artists.
Dec 22, 2023 3:51 PM

Feb 2021
If it's actually good then I don't have any problem with it. Just don't make it more shit.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

Dec 22, 2023 4:31 PM

Mar 2008
Geebosaur said:
That's the main issue with this whole thing is that the artists are never willing, nor are they compensated properly.

I will say that expecting AI to handle inbetweening and deeming it "donkey work" as someone else stated is utterly hilarious as there's so much more that goes into it rather than just redrawing the same thing, though I wouldn't expect a non-animator to know that of course...

Never said otherwise.

There actually is a software being made and already used. It has to be manually edited after though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNqlvz47pg0

JaniSIr said:
AI can't write code. Art can be generated by AI really well, because all you need to achieve was good approximations. Code writing can be sped up with AI, by generating the boiler plate, reducing the amount the programmer needs to type, but the actual logic absolutely needs humans to ensure correctness. Also there are some theoretical limits in computing theory, like for an arbitrary piece of code you can't algorithmically prove its correctness. The hyper calculating super intelligent AI of sci-fi movies aren't anywhere close.

It already does write code and will get better so keep telling yourself that.
Dec 22, 2023 5:59 PM
Jul 2018
Reply to traed
Geebosaur said:

Never said otherwise.

There actually is a software being made and already used. It has to be manually edited after though.

JaniSIr said:
AI can't write code. Art can be generated by AI really well, because all you need to achieve was good approximations. Code writing can be sped up with AI, by generating the boiler plate, reducing the amount the programmer needs to type, but the actual logic absolutely needs humans to ensure correctness. Also there are some theoretical limits in computing theory, like for an arbitrary piece of code you can't algorithmically prove its correctness. The hyper calculating super intelligent AI of sci-fi movies aren't anywhere close.

traed said:
Never said otherwise.

Oh I know.

I am pretty much in agreement with most of what you said, just adding on is all.
Dec 23, 2023 12:09 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to traed
Geebosaur said:

Never said otherwise.

JaniSIr said:

@traed It might write code, but it's not really worth compiling without extensive modifications. It can only speed up the typing of common API calls and such, it cannot test for correctness and performance and alike. And as I said, it's literally impossible to prove that any arbitrary code is actually correct, that's a proven mathematical fact.

So Yea, programming is one job that's certainly safe, even in the worst case scenario you need developers for making AI better.
Dec 23, 2023 12:29 AM

Jan 2009
on the bright side ai will make indie anime more mainstream so i welcome that so indie animators using ai will get all the money instead of the rich production committee only

text to video generative ai is the next to progress in development so this will become more common
Dec 23, 2023 12:51 AM

Apr 2021
If AI generated animation is good then I don't see any problem.

Human hands are being replaced by different tools for ages and in every cases those tools are doing the job better than humans.
Dec 23, 2023 2:08 AM

Mar 2008
deg said:
on the bright side ai will make indie anime more mainstream so i welcome that so indie animators using ai will get all the money instead of the rich production committee only

text to video generative ai is the next to progress in development so this will become more common

They already are. They are called doujin anime circles. They make hentai a lot but there also has been stuff like Tahou anime made by doujin circles. Also it wouldnt work that way, because it would cause market flooding if it was something that can be generated on the fly. There wouldnt be enough people buying from the excess of anime out there so they would have to sell so dirt cheap or give it away so they couldnt make much money. Overproduction is likely why bluerays arent being cleaned up anymore. It would kill off anime potentially.

JaniSIr said:
It might write code, but it's not really worth compiling without extensive modifications. It can only speed up the typing of common API calls and such, it cannot test for correctness and performance and alike. And as I said, it's literally impossible to prove that any arbitrary code is actually correct, that's a proven mathematical fact.

So Yea, programming is one job that's certainly safe, even in the worst case scenario you need developers for making AI better.

Nope it compiles unedited now for some things and it isnt just API calls.

Nope. That is only if it is purely text based. There is ways around it through having it run tests and actually watch what it does through external means including optical recognition and error logs so it can optimize code through trial and error if written to do so. Plus it could write in machine code with more ease.
Dec 23, 2023 2:44 AM

Aug 2013
I'd take inbetweening done by assisted AI over garbage 3DCG any day. AI can make coloring easier for people working on anime series too.
People that seeing AI as something 100% bad are delusional.

I really like people's reaction to the AI translations (as for the recent events).
The overwhelming majority of commenters (even on "translators" profiles) prefer AI translations to the crap done by localizers with woke agenda pushing, cultural washout and deep text changes.

I'm glad that so many people have finally opened their eyes to the vandalism called localization.

Unfortunately, current language models are not yet able to translate the dialogues of literary fiction on their own. Lots of uncensored models that can be used locally have a lot of capability but it's not there yet. In contrast, censored, politically correct to the extreme commercial products like Chat GPT are not usable at all.
rsc-plDec 23, 2023 2:51 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Dec 23, 2023 2:59 AM

Mar 2008
rsc-pl said:
I really like people's reaction to the AI translations (as for the recent events).
The overwhelming majority of commenters (even on "translators" profiles) prefer AI translations to the crap done by localizers with woke agenda pushing, cultural washout and deep text changes.

I'm glad that so many people have finally opened their eyes to the vandalism called localization.

Unfortunately, current language models are not yet able to translate the dialogues of literary fiction on their own. Lots of uncensored models that can be used locally have a lot of capability but it's not there yet. In contrast, censored, politically correct to the extreme commercial products like Chat GPT are not usable at all.

Unlikely AI that only goes by words can translate Japanese well because it is a very context driven language and some of that context is visual or auditory information. But some humans also make errors. There are cases where localization makes sense and others where translator notes are helpful it is better human made decision since there isnt always a right answer. Or multiple subs should be done one localized to make context easier to get for like jokes and another more direct translation with optional notes.
Dec 23, 2023 3:02 AM
Oct 2022
Anybody on the internet can use AI to easily make an anime 'music video' already. Just use an app like Pika to combine few second gifs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/aivideo/comments/18m0kum/gatchaman_and_the_super_awesome_helmet_team_x17/

Like this as an example.

https://www.reddit.com/r/aivideo/comments/18kojjr/made_donnie_darko_into_an_anime_in_30_minutes_or/

Or this
Dannyr22Dec 23, 2023 3:05 AM
Dec 23, 2023 3:16 AM

Aug 2013
Reply to traed
rsc-pl said:

Unlikely AI that only goes by words can translate Japanese well because it is a very context driven language and some of that context is visual or auditory information. But some humans also make errors. There are cases where localization makes sense and others where translator notes are helpful it is better human made decision since there isnt always a right answer. Or multiple subs should be done one localized to make context easier to get for like jokes and another more direct translation with optional notes.
@traed don't confuse AI with online translation services. Even current AI models can catch the context pretty well. And it's getting better day by day. It has still a long way to go though.

But I agree, 2 subtitle tracks should be a standard for more than decade already. But the reality is, it will never ba a standard. For now, only Sega or rather Ryu Ga Gotoku studio did it with Yakuza games.

Look what localizers are saying about their work. The fact that it is one of the world's most hated (rightly so) professions does not come from nowhere.
Examples can be multiplied, I simply give just a few. There is one noticeable trend - the more these localizers advocate changing the text, erasing the original culture and inserting their agenda by force, the louder they shout and cry on AI. If they are so "great," what are they afraid of?

https://twitter.com/neogeo8man/status/1738265953870200849
https://twitter.com/adulpanget/status/1738439142156243221
https://twitter.com/Raiby0u/status/1738220381176230102
https://twitter.com/linkasobi/status/1733415672032493579
https://twitter.com/NotHaru47/status/1738275959047139334
https://twitter.com/neogeo8man/status/1730120972240355706

rsc-plDec 23, 2023 3:28 AM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Dec 23, 2023 4:03 AM
May 2019
Reply to karrotStick

@karrotStick
karrotStick said:
nd what's worse is their audacity to copyright those works. To me, the use of AI = nobody has any right to that particular work and they must be okay with free distribution.

i have 0 empathy for those localizers who alternate content in translations, put their political ideology in translations and than brag about it
Dec 23, 2023 4:06 AM
May 2019
Reply to Spunkert
Japan has a very low birth rate wich may explain why these companies want to use A.I to do the animation for them in the future.
@Spunkert
Spunkert said:

First get your facts straight it's in decline but still more than many countries
Second anime is made by different countries people who do freelancing 90% key animation is outsourced to China and Korea.
Third low pay and high work overload + no training is the result of animators shortage
kratos960203Dec 23, 2023 4:24 AM
Dec 23, 2023 4:13 AM
May 2019
Reply to traed
deg said:

They already are. They are called doujin anime circles. They make hentai a lot but there also has been stuff like Tahou anime made by doujin circles. Also it wouldnt work that way, because it would cause market flooding if it was something that can be generated on the fly. There wouldnt be enough people buying from the excess of anime out there so they would have to sell so dirt cheap or give it away so they couldnt make much money. Overproduction is likely why bluerays arent being cleaned up anymore. It would kill off anime potentially.

JaniSIr said:
It might write code, but it's not really worth compiling without extensive modifications. It can only speed up the typing of common API calls and such, it cannot test for correctness and performance and alike. And as I said, it's literally impossible to prove that any arbitrary code is actually correct, that's a proven mathematical fact.

Nope. That is only if it is purely text based. There is ways around it through having it run tests and actually watch what it does through external means including optical recognition and error logs so it can optimize code through trial and error if written to do so. Plus it could write in machine code with more ease.
traed said:
already are. They are called doujin anime circles. They make hentai a lot

ahmm link please for research purpose
Dec 23, 2023 4:20 AM
May 2019
Reply to rsc-pl
I'd take inbetweening done by assisted AI over garbage 3DCG any day. AI can make coloring easier for people working on anime series too.

rsc-pl said:

yes i am really happy about that those people fucked around and found out.

rsc-pl said:

but still some people able to translate some visual novels so it's improving
Dec 23, 2023 4:36 AM

Mar 2023
Reply to kratos960203
@Spunkert
Spunkert said:

First get your facts straight it's in decline but still more than many countries
Second anime is made by different countries people who do freelancing 90% key animation is outsourced to China and Korea.
Third low pay and high work overload + no training is the result of animators shortage
@kratos960203 Well with A.I they don't need to outsource to other countries again. Especially to China and South Korea who themself has a decling birth rate.
Dec 23, 2023 4:37 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to traed
deg said:

JaniSIr said:

@traed Compiling only means that it's syntactically correct, not that the code does what you need to do. And even if it does what you need it to do, you really only saved yourself a copy paste from stack overflow. Typing actually takes very little time in the workflow you know.

Of course running tests and having logs are important, but those also require programmers... And writing machine code is a horrible idea, that's just make it harder to check for errors, because it's way less readable by humans.

This discussion could be summed up as "Tell me you aren't a programmer without telling me you are not a programmer."
Dec 23, 2023 4:37 AM

Nov 2019
We've already got plentiful of copy-pasted and imagination-depleted works recently, and they're man-made, so no biggie.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Dec 23, 2023 4:39 AM
May 2019
Reply to Spunkert
@kratos960203 Well with A.I they don't need to outsource to other countries again. Especially to China and South Korea who themself has a decling birth rate.
@Spunkert why are you so obsessed with birth rates
Dec 23, 2023 4:40 AM

Mar 2023
Reply to kratos960203
@Spunkert why are you so obsessed with birth rates
@kratos960203 And your point is what again?
SpunkertDec 23, 2023 4:44 AM
Dec 23, 2023 4:53 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to rsc-pl

@rsc-pl It took you a really long time, but you finally said something I agree with.
It's really messed up how ideologically loaded Chat GPT is...
Dec 23, 2023 4:54 AM

Jun 2020
You will work ze mines, eat ze worms, and be happy about it while unt robots create art.

"Don't let your memes be dreams."- Ancient Japanese proverb, probably
Dec 23, 2023 5:08 AM

Oct 2022
You can say this; but what about the replacement of hand drawn art & animation by CGI in the first place???
I don't see ANY soul in cgi-anything and always criticize it.
So now that you all have adapted to the (CGI) new way, and gotten used to it- exactly like my generation who liked the natural BY HAND way of creation- you are finding that your new way is now the old way. Here comes the chat-gpt copycat program to replace "lazy animators" and "lazy artists" who can't stay "on model".

Good luck stopping progress. After witnessing how readily current-gen lapped up cgi I see no hope in you stopping this. GenZ loves it- therefore you lose.
Dec 23, 2023 8:50 AM

Oct 2023
Reply to SuperAdventure
You can say this; but what about the replacement of hand drawn art & animation by CGI in the first place???
So now that you all have adapted to the (CGI) new way, and gotten used to it- exactly like my generation who liked the natural BY HAND way of creation- you are finding that your new way is now the old way. Here comes the chat-gpt copycat program to replace "lazy animators" and "lazy artists" who can't stay "on model".

Good luck stopping progress. After witnessing how readily current-gen lapped up cgi I see no hope in you stopping this. GenZ loves it- therefore you lose.
SuperAdventure said:

Rather a pathetic mindset, don't you think?

What about the 3D CG is so bad to you exactly? Purely the fact it isn't 2D? Do you understand a human artist must model, rig, animate, and render something that's 3D in this way? "Hand drawn" art hasn't, and will most likely never, be "replaced" by digital artistic mediums. That's complete nonsense.

3D CG and AI aren't even somewhat related in this way, but still, they are both tools that ought to be used. Would you really turn away completely from an anime that was good, but also happened to have an AI assisting the staff in some places?

I think people are more concerned with the idea of anime and animation changing rather than the actual change itself. Think with your head!
Dec 23, 2023 8:59 AM

Feb 2016
LSSJ_Gaming said:
Black Jack 50th anniversary one-shot using an AI generated script for the story.

That is especially stupid since a few of Tezuka's own stories have never been reprinted. Why sell fans a new story when we haven't even read all the old ones?
https://tezukainenglish.com/wp/?page_id=573

What are all of us expected to do for a living if every job is done by AI?
その目だれの目?
Dec 23, 2023 9:01 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to karrotStick

karrotStick said:

That company's justification for AI is that it helps them compete with piracy. Who do they think will choose AI over a fanmade translation?
その目だれの目?
Dec 23, 2023 9:04 AM

Oct 2020
Reply to JaniSIr
AI is dope. People already managed to mass produce soulless garbage, especially in Hollywood in the last 10 years or so without AI.
AI can lower the barrier of entry for people who actually have something to say, and already good artists can use AI to make even better art.
There is no downside to it at all.
JaniSIr said:

I came here to say the same thing but you beat me to.

Dec 23, 2023 9:08 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to traed

traed said:
As long as it uses art in it's database only from willing artists and they get financially compensated

There is more than enough art in the public domain that can train AI. But I don't think AI art can succeed long-term for the reasons you've stated.
その目だれの目?
Dec 23, 2023 9:11 AM
Jul 2018
Reply to PlasticRobot
SuperAdventure said:

Rather a pathetic mindset, don't you think?

What about the 3D CG is so bad to you exactly? Purely the fact it isn't 2D? Do you understand a human artist must model, rig, animate, and render something that's 3D in this way? "Hand drawn" art hasn't, and will most likely never, be "replaced" by digital artistic mediums. That's complete nonsense.

3D CG and AI aren't even somewhat related in this way, but still, they are both tools that ought to be used. Would you really turn away completely from an anime that was good, but also happened to have an AI assisting the staff in some places?

I think people are more concerned with the idea of anime and animation changing rather than the actual change itself. Think with your head!
@PlasticRobot

Couldn't have said it better myself.

As for the assistance of AI in anime itself? That would depend heavily on what. The key issues here in all of this mess is making sure that the artists themselves are compensated properly and that copyrighted material that clearly doesn't belong to AI users is not stolen. I balk at the idea of being afraid of a bot that can't do anything on its own, it's never been about fear.

I agree wholeheartedly that AI will NEVER come close to replacing anything made by a person.
It cannot create on its own. It simply steals.
Dec 23, 2023 9:12 AM

Mar 2008
kratos960203 said:
ahmm link please for research purpose

Sorry, i only recently knew this was a thing so I cant name some off atm.

rsc-pl said:
don't confuse AI with online translation services. Even current AI models can catch the context pretty well. And it's getting better day by day. It has still a long way to go though.

But I agree, 2 subtitle tracks should be a standard for more than decade already. But the reality is, it will never ba a standard. For now, only Sega or rather Ryu Ga Gotoku studio did it with Yakuza games.

Look what localizers are saying about their work. The fact that it is one of the world's most hated (rightly so) professions does not come from nowhere.
Examples can be multiplied, I simply give just a few. There is one noticeable trend - the more these localizers advocate changing the text, erasing the original culture and inserting their agenda by force, the louder they shout and cry on AI. If they are so "great," what are they afraid of?

DeepL uses a LLM AI. I dont know if Whisper AI uses a similar translation method But I think it does so blatant mistakes are still possible.

It isnt always agenda. I think it is just lack of understanding how people talk in real life versus online in some cases and others it is from lack of any equivalencies where someone has to be creative and sometimes fail. But yes sometimes some weird agenda is slipped in.

JaniSIr said:
Compiling only means that it's syntactically correct, not that the code does what you need to do. And even if it does what you need it to do, you really only saved yourself a copy paste from stack overflow. Typing actually takes very little time in the workflow you know.

Of course running tests and having logs are important, but those also require programmers... And writing machine code is a horrible idea, that's just make it harder to check for errors, because it's way less readable by humans.

This discussion could be summed up as "Tell me you aren't a programmer without telling me you are not a programmer."

And it only has to be just good enough to make a program that can do better using a simulated evolutionary process. It isnt that big a leap. Look like i said AI companies are the ones saying they will replace programmers.

Ive written in Visual Basic, C++ and messed around a little with C Sound before deciding making music that way is too difficult but was long time ago and Ive also done Ray Tracing which has some similarities to programming though not a language.

JaniSIr said:
It took you a really long time, but you finally said something I agree with.
It's really messed up how ideologically loaded Chat GPT is...

Obviously even before they blocked certain requests whatever view was most prominent in it's dataset it will take as the more likely response.

SuperAdventure said:

Yes i dont know how anyone could see it as anything less than more CGI.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 9 hours ago

10 by DigiCat »»
6 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 9 hours ago

18 by Ratris_Decision »»
14 minutes ago

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream? ( 1 2 )

BroDa2545 - Apr 16

53 by maya2003s »»
15 minutes ago

» What if all characters, not just main, had infinite mana?

Catalano - 1 hour ago

1 by romagia »»
16 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

88 by Atmogenic »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.