Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 17, 2023 9:21 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
The Crunchyroll Industry Panel at Anime NYC announced an anime adaptation of Na-young Kim's True Beauty manhwa on Friday and revealed a teaser visual (pictured). The anime is scheduled to premiere in 2024.

Kim began drawing the romantic comedy manhwa in Naver Webtoon in April 2018 and ended on April 10 this year. Wattpad Webtoon Studios has been releasing physical volumes under its Webtoon Unscrolled imprint since November 2022. Naver Webtoon has also digitally published the manhwa in English and multiple other languages.

Synopsis
Tired of being looked down upon for her unattractive appearance, middle schooler Lim Jugyeong turns to the transformative powers of makeup. First, she experiments with BB cream, lip tint, and eyeliner; then she begins using mascara, double eyelid glue, and colored contacts. Before she knows it, Jugyeong goes from being a girl who is bullied for her ugliness to being praised as a high-class beauty. Constantly surrounded by those who adore her goddess-like appearance, Jugyeong can now live a more than comfortable life at school—she simply has to keep her bare face a secret.

However, everything changes when the new transfer student, Lee Suho, enters her life. Not only does the handsome Suho become immediately popular among their peers, but in a chance encounter, he also becomes the only classmate of Jugyeong's to see her face beneath the makeup. With her reputation on the line, Jugyeong must do whatever it takes to hide the truth about her appearance from the rest of her classmates. But the more time she spends with Suho, the more Jugyeong finds herself questioning whether one's true beauty lies solely in their looks. [Written by MAL Rewrite]

Source: Crunchyroll

Yeosin Gangnim on MAL
Hyperion_PSNov 20, 2023 6:51 AM
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Nov 17, 2023 9:28 PM

Feb 2021
Another Crunchyroll produced Manhwa adaptation...
First God of Highschool, TOG, and Noblesse, then we had Why Raeliana Ended up at the Duke's Mansion, and this season's A Returner's Magic Should Be Special

They are really going at it...

Nov 17, 2023 9:49 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Was definitely not in my bingo card for the next webtoon that was going to be animated.

Thought it was going to be a shounen/action one.
Nov 17, 2023 10:46 PM

May 2020
The synopsis sounds so Korean that even if they haven't mentioned this was a manhwa, anybody would've guessed anyways.
Nov 17, 2023 10:57 PM

Nov 2021
Waiting for the trailer to show up would like to see more shoujo - slice of life Korean Manhwa getting an adaption.
Nov 17, 2023 11:34 PM

Apr 2015
....What is with that art style, that does not look like Suho and Seojun at all.

Guess I shouldn't be surprised this got an adaptation considering it's one of the most popular - if not the most popular - romance Webtoons. But man, there're so many other better choices for manhwa adaptations...

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Nov 18, 2023 1:44 AM

Apr 2016
Reply to Softhenic03
The synopsis sounds so Korean that even if they haven't mentioned this was a manhwa, anybody would've guessed anyways.
@Softhenic03 Yeah, you can smell the syntethics from a mile away.
Nov 18, 2023 2:20 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to MadanielFL
Another Crunchyroll produced Manhwa adaptation...
First God of Highschool, TOG, and Noblesse, then we had Why Raeliana Ended up at the Duke's Mansion, and this season's A Returner's Magic Should Be Special

They are really going at it...

@MadanielFL Well, they adapt what is popular with Western audiences, Western audiences love webtoons. On the other hand, I wonder why they never touch the sea of ​​BL that the format has to offer.
Nov 18, 2023 3:21 AM

Jun 2020
I thought I was seeing random fanart in my social media before I saw it here and realize it's an anime adaptation.
They could've at least made the design fits the manhwa artsyle.
Nov 18, 2023 4:54 AM

Feb 2021
Even if you ugly, only put an amazing make-up and you are star and everyone like you! It is a magic!
Nov 18, 2023 5:11 AM

Apr 2016
Reply to Memore
Even if you ugly, only put an amazing make-up and you are star and everyone like you! It is a magic!
@Memore It really represents the vanity of korean society.
Nov 18, 2023 5:35 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to Swagernator
@Memore It really represents the vanity of korean society.
@Swagernator, yes, I know. And it is absurd.
Nov 18, 2023 6:14 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to RobertBobert
@MadanielFL Well, they adapt what is popular with Western audiences, Western audiences love webtoons. On the other hand, I wonder why they never touch the sea of ​​BL that the format has to offer.
@RobertBobert, indeed. There are so many decent BL works from Korea such as Under the Green Light, Murderous Lewellyn's Candlelit Dinner, Moritat, Our Youth, False Memories, BJ Alex and many others. I hope that some of them get an anime adaptation too!
Nov 18, 2023 6:18 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Memore
@RobertBobert, indeed. There are so many decent BL works from Korea such as Under the Green Light, Murderous Lewellyn's Candlelit Dinner, Moritat, Our Youth, False Memories, BJ Alex and many others. I hope that some of them get an anime adaptation too!
@Memore In any case, judging by My Adventures with Superman, webtoons and their aesthetic are really popular, so it seemed like it was only a matter of time before newer adaptations were chosen.
Nov 18, 2023 6:19 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to RobertBobert
@Memore In any case, judging by My Adventures with Superman, webtoons and their aesthetic are really popular, so it seemed like it was only a matter of time before newer adaptations were chosen.
@RobertBobert, yes, you are right. Still why they chose this manhwa, there is nothing special about it.
Nov 18, 2023 6:21 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Memore
@RobertBobert, yes, you are right. Still why they chose this manhwa, there is nothing special about it.
@Memore I don't know, is this work is a classic for the market? Maybe they want to increase popularity by adapting classic modern works?
Nov 18, 2023 6:28 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to RobertBobert
@Memore I don't know, is this work is a classic for the market? Maybe they want to increase popularity by adapting classic modern works?
@RobertBobert, of course not, it is a cliche work for young girls.
Nov 18, 2023 6:50 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Memore
@RobertBobert, of course not, it is a cliche work for young girls.
@Memore I mean, can it be called a typical work for webtoons of this genre and demographic? Or do you think that this is not even a strong genre work?
Nov 18, 2023 6:58 AM
Nov 2020
No matter what it is its just nice to see more shoujo anime adaption but really didn't expect the next shoujo manhwa to get adapted would turn out to be this while I am also not shocked either just hoping the great stuffs will eventually get adapted too
Nov 18, 2023 7:01 AM

Apr 2016
Reply to RobertBobert
@Memore I mean, can it be called a typical work for webtoons of this genre and demographic? Or do you think that this is not even a strong genre work?
@RobertBobert This is the most webtoon of all the webtoons, this is a webtoon bible, its incredibly popular with the young girls, and older women. Generally webtoons are very heavy shoujo oriented if we use the japanese term.

The only question we need to ask, is why did it took this long for any sort of animated adaptation to happen.
Nov 18, 2023 7:08 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to RobertBobert
@RobertBobert, it is a typical shojo work from Korea.
Nov 18, 2023 7:12 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Swagernator
@RobertBobert This is the most webtoon of all the webtoons, this is a webtoon bible, its incredibly popular with the young girls, and older women. Generally webtoons are very heavy shoujo oriented if we use the japanese term.

The only question we need to ask, is why did it took this long for any sort of animated adaptation to happen.
So, can this be compared to the adaptation of Kimi ni Todoke to discoveries the shoujo genre? As for the timing, I don’t know, maybe due to the development of the industry, the producers decided to finally introduce the anime-only audience to the Korean and Chinese mainstream? Even I, a complete stranger to the topic, have heard quite a lot about Lookism and Solo Leveling, for example.
Nov 18, 2023 7:14 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Memore
@RobertBobert, it is a typical shojo work from Korea.
@Memore I see. Most of the similar works I saw reminded me of doramas and K-POP with their synopsis and character designs.
Nov 18, 2023 7:20 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to RobertBobert
@Memore I see. Most of the similar works I saw reminded me of doramas and K-POP with their synopsis and character designs.
@RobertBobert, yes, they are very similar. Same with BL works from Korea.
Nov 18, 2023 7:26 AM

Apr 2012
Reply to Memore
@RobertBobert, yes, they are very similar. Same with BL works from Korea.
@Memore So I'm a little surprised that the adaptation seems to have opted for a more anime-like design.
Nov 18, 2023 8:38 AM

Sep 2020
Just like Lookism here also they over simplified the manhwa art which have a very realistic feel to it.
Nov 18, 2023 8:39 AM

Feb 2021
Reply to ZXEAN
Just like Lookism here also they over simplified the manhwa art which have a very realistic feel to it.
@ZXEAN, I hope for the second season.
Nov 18, 2023 9:09 AM
Aug 2022
I'm really happy to see this one is receiving an anime adaptation
Nov 18, 2023 9:36 AM

Aug 2010
I dropped this manhwa but can't deny it is one of if not the most popular one. I'm happy they finally adapt a female-targeted manhwa though, makes me hopeful that they are considering other female-targeted manhwa adaptations for the future.
Nov 18, 2023 9:36 AM

Apr 2009
Is Japan so out of bad shoujo material that they're desperate enough to resort to manhwa?
Nov 18, 2023 10:54 AM

Feb 2017
Looks great! Love the webtoon, I can't wait to watch this!!! Its like no one is ever happy, haters gonna hate 🙄🖕
Nov 18, 2023 12:31 PM

Feb 2021
Reply to Nanaca
Is Japan so out of bad shoujo material that they're desperate enough to resort to manhwa?
@Nanaca, it seems so. There are so many ongoing and already published shojo mangas, more than enough to adapt one of them and still they chose to adapt manhwa.
Nov 18, 2023 4:30 PM

Jan 2016
Reply to Nanaca
@Nanaca nah, Crunchyroll is so desperate for money that they partnered with Naver Webtoon to make anime adaptations of webcomics, most of them kinda sucked too.

"Get your tentacles off me or ill make calamari out of your manhood" -Mirai Nikki Dub
Nov 18, 2023 4:59 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to Shirayukin
I dropped this manhwa but can't deny it is one of if not the most popular one. I'm happy they finally adapt a female-targeted manhwa though, makes me hopeful that they are considering other female-targeted manhwa adaptations for the future.
@Shirayukin I'm not a big expert on this, but I have a feeling that even male-targeted Korean and Chinese works are being adapted as shows for female audiences. At least I see Chinese shonen shows like "Link Click" more often in hot ikemens or "implied BL" stacks than in stacks for fans of the genre.
RobertBobertNov 18, 2023 5:02 PM
Nov 18, 2023 5:50 PM

Aug 2010
Reply to RobertBobert
@Shirayukin I'm not a big expert on this, but I have a feeling that even male-targeted Korean and Chinese works are being adapted as shows for female audiences. At least I see Chinese shonen shows like "Link Click" more often in hot ikemens or "implied BL" stacks than in stacks for fans of the genre.
@RobertBobert I see that in donghua (Chinese animation), but not webtoons adapted as anime. So far most of them are male targeted and feels like shonen anime like Tower of God, God of Highschool and upcoming Solo Leveling. There is Why Raeliana Ended Up at the Duke's Mansion from early this year though for female targeted one.

I never watched newer donghua yet, but I feel like donghua in general are mostly targeted for female audiences.
Nov 18, 2023 6:14 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to Shirayukin
@RobertBobert I see that in donghua (Chinese animation), but not webtoons adapted as anime. So far most of them are male targeted and feels like shonen anime like Tower of God, God of Highschool and upcoming Solo Leveling. There is Why Raeliana Ended Up at the Duke's Mansion from early this year though for female targeted one.

I never watched newer donghua yet, but I feel like donghua in general are mostly targeted for female audiences.
@Shirayukin Well, in this case we have a pretty classic shoujo in terms of tropes. Especially judging by the poster, which seems to have lost the K-Pop aesthetic of the original work. I don't even know why, I thought that maintaining the webtoon aesthetic would only attract an additional audience to the show.
Nov 18, 2023 7:28 PM

Feb 2021
VivavideoUser2x said:
nah, Crunchyroll is so desperate for money that they partnered with Naver Webtoon to make anime adaptations of webcomics, most of them kinda sucked too.
I don't see how exactly they are "desperate for money", plus they have adapted other manhwa which weren't from Naver corporation....
Nov 18, 2023 8:01 PM

Sep 2020
Reply to Nanaca
@Nanaca This is happening because of the recent Crunchyroll x Webtoon collaboration.
Nov 18, 2023 11:14 PM

Jan 2016
Reply to MadanielFL
VivavideoUser2x said:
nah, Crunchyroll is so desperate for money that they partnered with Naver Webtoon to make anime adaptations of webcomics, most of them kinda sucked too.
I don't see how exactly they are "desperate for money", plus they have adapted other manhwa which weren't from Naver corporation....
@MadanielFL cool. I'm not talking about those manwha tho. Any corperation that's trying to capitalize on rushed anime adaptations of webtoons sounds pretty "desperate" to me.

"Get your tentacles off me or ill make calamari out of your manhood" -Mirai Nikki Dub
Nov 18, 2023 11:24 PM

Feb 2021
VivavideoUser2x said:
Any corperation that's trying to capitalize on rushed anime adaptations of webtoons sounds pretty "desperate" to me.
Those "rushed" adaptations happened years ago, if we look at the latest anime they have produced, some adaptations have been quite well received. Like Bungo Stray Dogs S4 and S5, or Blue Lock. And we can't forget about Odd Taxi
Nov 18, 2023 11:38 PM

Apr 2016
Reply to MadanielFL
VivavideoUser2x said:
Any corperation that's trying to capitalize on rushed anime adaptations of webtoons sounds pretty "desperate" to me.
Those "rushed" adaptations happened years ago, if we look at the latest anime they have produced, some adaptations have been quite well received. Like Bungo Stray Dogs S4 and S5, or Blue Lock. And we can't forget about Odd Taxi
@MadanielFL You really need to stop with that crusade of yours where everything was made by CR, when all they did is put ten bucks on the line.

It's getting very tiresome to read.
Nov 18, 2023 11:50 PM

Feb 2021
Swagernator said:
You really need to stop with that crusade of yours where everything was made by CR, when all they did is put ten bucks on the line.

It's getting very tiresome to read.
Getting mad at me won't make anything I said any less true.

Did Cr co-produce BSD S4 and S5? Yes.
Was it positively received? Yes. Simple as that.

I really wanna know where you got that "ten bucks" from, since you seem to know more about anime production committees than me...
Nov 19, 2023 4:18 AM

Jul 2021
Lmao this was not on my bingo card as well

Anyways this series, is well not something on my radar but yeah some may enjoy it
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Nov 19, 2023 5:51 AM

Aug 2020
Oh, that's sweet... First series added to my 2024 watch.

Nov 19, 2023 3:57 PM

Jan 2016
Reply to MadanielFL
VivavideoUser2x said:
@MadanielFL Those arent webtooons tho, bsd and blue lock are manga and odd taxi is original. Sure they're licensed by Crunchyroll, but I'm talking about the anime that came from the Crunchyroll and webtoon partnership like GOH and Noblesse

Nov 19, 2023 6:02 PM

Feb 2021
VivavideoUser2x said:
Sure they're licensed by Crunchyroll
They didn't just license it, but actually produced it as part of the production committee.

And I still fail to understand how those webtoon adaptations make them look desparate, when many of the other shows they helped produce were well received....
Nov 21, 2023 6:02 PM
Mar 18, 10:08 PM

Mar 2022
My excitement for this.... WILL. NOT. BE. CONTAINED!!!!

春雨や ものがたりゆく 蓑と傘

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

98 by RobertBobert »»
3 hours ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by Catalano »»
3 hours ago

» 'One Piece' Anime Gets Remake by WIT Studio ( 1 2 )

Hyperion_PS - Dec 17, 2023

81 by ExtremeT »»
7 hours ago

» Manga 'Oniichan wa Oshimai!' Gets TV Anime

Vindstot - Apr 21, 2022

44 by Lenoksu »»
Yesterday, 3:24 PM

» 'Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou' Season 3 Unveils Additional Cast, First Promo

Hyperion_PS - Apr 21

3 by ToyaMochizuki »»
Yesterday, 12:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.