Forum Settings
Forums

How responsibly do you watch sequels and spin-offs of already watched anime?

New
May 26, 2023 9:25 AM

Apr 2012
How responsibly do you watch all the seasons, movies, spin-offs, specials, OVAs, or even different versions of shows you've already watched? Have there been times when you spent a lot of time completing a really impressive franchise, or vice versa, you could not watch the continuation of even your favorite anime due to laziness or lack of mood?
May 26, 2023 9:39 AM

Sep 2020
Kind of depends, usually if I can find them I’ll watch all of them, but normally I will skip recap movies.
May 26, 2023 9:40 AM

Feb 2020
I usually watch everything including OVAs, specials, etc.
May 26, 2023 10:05 AM

Aug 2020
Not much. Mostly the ones within the canonical timeline or those i found interesting even if it's only side story, spin-off or even straight up alternate universes like Gundam. Most likely NOT recaps tho. I skip those.
May 26, 2023 11:45 AM

Aug 2018
Code Geass is one of my favorites but I haven't watched any of the spin offs. The ending felt pretty damn conclusive. But usually if I like a series, I'll try and watch everything available... within reason. Those 30 second "manner movies" of anime characters asking people to turn off their phones while in the theater, why bother?
May 26, 2023 12:01 PM

Aug 2019
I don't care about watching all of something if I've watch one part of it. If I liked it, I will go on to complete whatever else there may be, but if I didn't like the first season then I'm not checking out the rest on my own violation.
May 26, 2023 12:07 PM

Sep 2010
If I liked the main anime I try to watch all OVAs and specials. The specials aren't worth it most of the time tho.
May 26, 2023 12:09 PM

Sep 2007
takamono said:
Kind of depends, usually if I can find them I’ll watch all of them, but normally I will skip recap movies.
Pretty much the same here as long I have the time and motivation to do so. Anything recap, I'll skip/pass; unless it's worth it or so.
May 26, 2023 12:23 PM

May 2009
I tend to try to watch all the specials. But it doesn't help that the specials are sometimes harder to find, and sometimes not even subbed (it's semi-common that they're not dubbed even if the main show is dubbed, but not even being subbed occasionally happens, especially for some older obscure shows).

When I do find them, though, they are nice because they add to the worldbuilding of the series and/or just give me extra time to "hang out with" the cast. And they're also nice extra small-anime fodder for Anime-Planet's yearly anime-watching challenges. (Those work differently than the ones here on MAL; they only count number of entries completed, which is neat for me since I have my own lists and don't like to bother with MAL's more specific requirements.)

Subsequent seasons, however, are basically like separate series, and whether I'll watch them is a separate decision.
GlennMagusHarveyMay 26, 2023 12:27 PM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
May 26, 2023 12:32 PM

Jan 2021
I've been pretty loyal to a few, the big one is Fate

Which a few people on here might have guessed already, but beyond the magical girl shows and Solomon (waiting on the damned Blu Ray release) I've pretty much watched it all at this point. I've also gotten most the games, including the VN and a guy on here managed to share a link to nearly all the LNs which have been translated so far. I even play Grand Order, and have slowly been making my cheep ass through the singularities. 

Beyond Fate I liked Hunter x Hunter so much I watched those two movies. I've watched Magia Record through to the final season because I liked Madoka Magica. Gundam UC I've been slowly chipping my way through - not sure how I'll do Double Zeta. 

Yamato and LOTGH I've kept up with as closely as I can, currently on season three of LOTGH the New Thesis and waiting for the third season of Yamato to be dubbed. 

Those are most the 'franchise' I try and keep up to date with. 

Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
May 26, 2023 12:54 PM

Apr 2023
If it´s an 8/10 or higher i watch pretty much everything
May 26, 2023 1:03 PM
Nov 2017
I like to watch long anime by checking what episodes cover what part of the eource, and just cherry pick episodes of interest (in no particular chronological order), and then leave the rest for another time
May 26, 2023 1:10 PM

Apr 2013
Based on my enjoyment rating I generally do it like this:

10/10 and 9/10 shows - watch everything I can find
8/10 shows - watch sequels, OVAs and movies ( if they have new content and are not recaps)
7/10 and 6/10 shows - generally only watch the TV sequels (and if the show is on the more average end, then I might not even watch the sequels, especially when people say the sequels are worse than the first season)

There are exceptions too, I have some higher rated shows in my list where I havent watched every extra. And then I also have some random OVAs that arent even good that I just watched for no reason lol.
May 26, 2023 1:16 PM

Jun 2017
If it's a short ova, i'll watch it right after i finish the main show.

If it's a full sequel, i'll put in on my PTW and watch down the line.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
May 26, 2023 1:39 PM

Sep 2021
If I really love the series, I make it a point to track down as much media for it as I reasonably can. If it's a series I'm playing catch up with, I tend to spread it all out over time, probably because I just don't want it to 'end'. Yuru Camp△ is a good example, for me. I've loved pretty much every piece of media that C-Station has put out for the series, so watching the movie, and all the OVAs and specials has always felt worth it. As long as they aren't recaps that don't really add anything 'new', I like watching everything related to a series that I really care about. I did the same for The Idolm@ster's first season, and it really enriched my experience with it, making it so much more impactful than I think it would have been, otherwise.

And even if I'm not as fond of a particular series, I'll usually at least watch the major sequels, just to see it through to the end, especially if it's clear that they'll properly end the series, in some way.

We can always go somewhere again.
✧✧✧✧✧✧
profilewatchingart credit

May 26, 2023 2:59 PM

Dec 2021
If it's something I really enjoy, I will watch everything associated with the franchise. I tend to want to complete whatever I start, and my definition of complete is everything associated.
May 26, 2023 3:03 PM

May 2021
I watch everything if I know it exists, where to watch it, and if it has subtitles in my language.

May 26, 2023 3:09 PM

Aug 2020
I like watching everything, but all in all it takes quite a time to finish the entire material. I take it slow and easy.

May 26, 2023 3:11 PM
Aug 2022
I used to be a completionist. But the habit has died off as I've gotten older.

I recently started getting into Fate, and want to try to watch whatever is available, but its watch order is pretty  confusing, and will probably burn me out at some point.
May 26, 2023 3:19 PM

May 2012
I try to watch as much as possible of the franchise in question.
I ignore all the recaps (episode recap, movie recap..).
Spin-offs that I can find and translate that look cool or interesting to watch.

But for some franchise, new seasons have been released since, and I still haven't watched it for lack of motivation and especially also because I don't remember too much after all these years, that's where the episodes recap wouldn't hurt ^^

May 26, 2023 3:20 PM
鋼鉄乙女

Aug 2016
If I like the series I will try to read/watch all of its official media, I even watch compilation movies and reading manga spinoffs of certain series I love. Even so, there are some series with spinoffs and sequel works with less than questionable quality that I definitely won't waste my time with. Definitely learned that lesson with Gundam Wing lol.
"Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes!" - Bill & Ted´s Excellent Adventure

Check my introduction to Char´s Counterattack interest stack if you´re interested in watching UC Gundam. Also check my Legend of the Galactic Heroes OVA Chronological Watch Order for LoGH info!
May 26, 2023 4:12 PM

Jul 2013
Sequels - depends on how I think of the previous season(s)
Specials/OVAs/spin-offs - almost never, unless it's canon or I loved the show so much I didn't want to move on
May 26, 2023 9:35 PM
危ないお兄さん

Nov 2016
Only care about sequel even if its from my favorite anime like code geass i also didnt bothered myself to watch code geass akito as side story

May 28, 2023 11:13 PM

Apr 2012
ISeeLifePeople said:
Only care about sequel even if its from my favorite anime like code geass i also didnt bothered myself to watch code geass akito as side story
Does Code Geass have so many sequels?

More topics from this board

» Birthday gifts!!!

Yonahim_Zz - 6 hours ago

16 by BitChilly »»
44 seconds ago

» Woke Companies Force Japanese Sites to Censor Anime and Manga Content or Shutdown ( 1 2 )

rohan121 - May 9

75 by ImNotAnOtaku1 »»
1 minute ago

» Your longest record/streak ( 1 2 )

Yonahim_Zz - May 9

77 by FullyCharged »»
8 minutes ago

» Do you feel just not excited for anime these days?

anizawa89 - Yesterday

31 by Coaghim »»
34 minutes ago

» mal/Confessions

NoelleIsSleepy - Yesterday

44 by KeepCalmAndMal »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.