Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 9, 2023 1:30 AM

Jul 2017
In many ways, mangaka Makoto Akui's Ao no Orchestra a.k.a Blue Orchestra is a mixture of Your Lie in April, Blue Period and Nodame Cantabile. And Nippon Animation is back after last year's somewhat mediocre Love No Play, anchoring another 24-episode series.

Also, this series winning this year's 68th Shogakugan Manga Award for the Shonen category, this says a lot.

The child prodigy that is the violinist Hajime Aono, he sucks at everything else except for his instrumental playing. And at home, he needs to tend to his cockroach-scaredy mom, that to him, the once-used piano room is a place of bad memories, alongside the smell of cigarette and the sound of the violin, stemmed from his father being a professional violinist. The perils of school life is mundane for Aono, though the sound of someone playing a violin captures his ears, and his career counseling is falling at the seams. His homeroom teacher Takeda-sensei is worried about Aono's future, but to one that nobody would recognize him, it's not like the world is his enemy. And the mysterious Akine playing the violin in the infirmary, it piques his interest more and more.

The bad memories swell Aono to a breaking point that he would not play the violin ever again, and other than collapsing during P.E. class and forced to rest at the infirmity, in comes Akine again to play the violin, which Aono is awoken by the lackluster playing to bicker at her. The same year Ritsuko Akine is taken care of Takeda-sensei, whom she was loaned his violin as he was part of the school's Orchestra Club back in his day. But to teach her, Takeda-sensei reaching a compromise with the both of them, this is the start of their meet.

Decent start.

I hope that Crunchyroll picks this up, because at the moment, there's no official licensor yet. Oh welp, it's back to fansubs for this one.
KANLen09Apr 15, 2023 9:55 AM
Apr 9, 2023 4:53 AM
Dec 2017
Just finished watching first episode on NHK Plus(Japan streaming provider). I can see potential for this show. The MC seems very obsessed with his past. Can't wait for more. Hopefully Crunchyroll eventually picks up this show.
Apr 9, 2023 5:13 AM

Nov 2014
Worst timeline, where the crappiest isekai get pick up for simulcast, but a serious violin drama is left behind. What about Hidive?
Apr 9, 2023 5:33 AM
Dec 2017
ChickenDan said:
Worst timeline, where the crappiest isekai get pick up for simulcast, but a serious violin drama is left behind. What about Hidive?
Nope. No sign of that show over there.
Apr 9, 2023 7:38 AM
Oct 2022
No official licenor yet ?
Apr 9, 2023 8:32 AM

Apr 2012
No english release at all?

Wow, will we see a revival of actual fan subbers? :D
If you haven't watched "Fantastic Children", don't talk about "best anime". Thank you.
Apr 9, 2023 12:26 PM
Jul 2021
ChickenDan said:

We can only hope that HIDIVE will pick it up later like they did with Eternal Boys.
Apr 9, 2023 12:39 PM
Dec 2021
This anime is 3 levels above everything else i have watched from this season so far.
It's the only anime that gave me a strong feeling of wanting to watch more.

10/10
AnimeIs4KidzApr 9, 2023 12:45 PM
Apr 9, 2023 1:50 PM

Feb 2021
faizyunus said:
Just finished watching first episode on NHK Plus(Japan streaming provider). I can see potential for this show. The MC seems very obsessed with his past. Can't wait for more. Hopefully Crunchyroll eventually picks up this show.

ChickenDan said:

tishan_navod said:
No official licenor yet ?

MyllerPhiem said:
No english release at all?

Wow, will we see a revival of actual fan subbers? :D
Daskpr01 said:
ChickenDan said:

We can only hope that HIDIVE will pick it up later like they did with Eternal Boys.

I hope so too, meantime I made English subtitles using Japanese ones, timing is not always correct, but it is at least something, here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/nwz1j791w07f2ca/Ao_no_Orchestra_%252301_%2528NHKE%2529.srt/file
Apr 9, 2023 5:07 PM

Mar 2016
My original comment was deleted maybe because I wrote it in my native language (spanish) so here it goes again now in english, thanks to google translate.

"I loved the introduction of both Ritsuko and Hajime, but also their teaches and Hajime's mother. Two young people with a something in common who are about to start a friendship, or maybe something else. I loved Kids on the Slope and Nodame Cantebile, so I have certain expectations in this series, I just hope that some svod distributes it here in Latin America (I'm looking at you, crunchyroll)."
el_morrisApr 9, 2023 6:13 PM
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Apr 9, 2023 10:16 PM
Feb 2016
el_morris said:
My original comment was deleted maybe because I wrote it in my native language (spanish) so here it goes again now in english, thanks to google translate.

"I loved the introduction of both Ritsuko and Hajime, but also their teaches and Hajime's mother. Two young people with a something in common who are about to start a friendship, or maybe something else. I loved Kids on the Slope and Nodame Cantebile, so I have certain expectations in this series, I just hope that some svod distributes it here in Latin America (I'm looking at you, crunchyroll)."
dude, are you in the Crunchyroll Spanish WhatsApp group? Or just in the subreddit?
Apr 9, 2023 11:32 PM
Oct 2019
I'm really looking forward to watching this anime, when there are subs. I'll be looking out for both an official licensor, but if that doesn't happen I guess I'll go the fansub route.

It's a shame no one is licensing this show to simulcast.
Apr 10, 2023 5:18 AM
Feb 2023
19minutes for boring thing
Apr 10, 2023 5:35 AM
Dec 2020
This has been a great episode!
I have to admit that the characters are nothing new, as this story has been told a lot of times: a depressed guy who used to be good at something but due to an unfortunate thing he lived, now he has given up on life until he meets a girl. But to be honest I really want to know what happens afterwards and how they get along; the ambience is great and I really have the feeling of wanting to know more. So I'll definitely watch it!
Apr 10, 2023 6:34 AM
May 2021
finally was able to find the episode with english subs. anyway i did really enjoy it. ive been looking for a good orchestra or concert band anime, so when i saw this on the seasonal lineup i was really excited. looking forward to the rest of the show. i hope it gets even better
My 2023 candies:
Apr 10, 2023 6:37 AM
May 2011
Sucks there are still 1 or 2 series each season that fall through the cracks and don't get picked up. And it's not like this one is super ecchi or anything.
Apr 10, 2023 6:56 AM
Jul 2016
Daskpr01 said:
ChickenDan said:

Or like Crunchyroll with play it cool boys
Apr 10, 2023 9:15 AM
Sep 2016
I was interested in this for the topic but found it boring and cliche. Dropped for now.
Apr 10, 2023 9:45 AM

Dec 2020
Well, that is a great start. Aono is going to teach Akine how to play the violin and hopefully, that reignites his passion for it. 
Apr 10, 2023 12:57 PM

Jun 2019
What a great start. I'm already hooked on this. Both the OP and ED are amazing. I'm a sucker for Music shows... so this might be something amazing. The story seems promising. His father cheated on his mother and to not her anymore, he stopped playing violin. That's very sad. I hope Akine can bring the fire back in him. I also love Takeda sensei. What a G.

Btw... that OST. My goodness. It is so beautiful. Kosemura Akira. Gotta check his other works. He's very new to the industry it seems but a very promising composer.
Apr 10, 2023 1:19 PM
Oct 2019
Okay, I've finally watched it, now that there are finally some fansubs (the one I got actually wasn't bad at all).

The anime we're getting this season are just bangers, one after the other! I'm so happy! This one is so incredibly promising, I really want more and more!

The visuals are great, absolutely nothing bad about them in my opinion. The voice acting is really good too! And of course, for a music anime the music is absolutely banging! I'm loving the OP and ED both, they're so good!

There is just one thing I'm a bit annoyed at. This anime really really wants to introduce the plot and the characters all in the first episode. It's as if they think that people will judge if they are gonna watch the rest of the anime because of the first episode. I find this kind of disappointing, since this episode really feels cramped, especially at the end.
In particular the scene at the end where Aono gets asked to be Akine's teacher, that part totally took me be surprise and felt unnatural. And then especially the part where the teacher tells Akine that she has to take lessons from Aono if she wants to keep using his violin, that was so unnatural. I feel like that scene could have been written so much better, maybe Aono could have watched them play and remembered himself also learning once.

That entire block of negativity aside, this episode is amazing!! I'm really looking forward to watching the rest of the anime! I wish the best of luck to this show and I'm excited to see where it goes next!!!
Apr 10, 2023 1:46 PM

Mar 2020
There's potential here for sure, although I will say this type of MC and setup for a show is quite common and generic. Hajime Aono was an excellent violinist as a kid, as his father pushed him to play the violin, but after a divorce due to his father's cheating, he never touched the violin again. Ritsuko Akine, Aono's classmate, plays the violin in the infirmary, and as Aono gets hurt in PE all the time, he was able to witness her playing. This likely will get Aono back into violin as Takeda, their teacher, tells Aono to be Akine's violin teacher.

A bit rushed at the end there, but nonetheless, a decent premiere and a show that I hope gets a licensor for broadcast outside of Japan/Asia, so it gets more attention.
Apr 10, 2023 1:50 PM
Jan 2022
it feels a lot like your lie in april in how it was introduced with the past event making him stop playing but i'm still interested in it
Apr 10, 2023 2:13 PM

May 2015
I was thinking, no way dad abandoned them, he must have died! And... he didn't. What a subversion from a sad soppy story, into something still sad, but more like angry.

Aono still obviously yearns to play violin despite everything. And good for him if he starts playing again, he doesn't have to weigh himself down by any superficial reasons.

The girl seems annoying. 2023 and we still have to witness [Nose-bleed >> Pervert] trope. Sigh.
Apr 10, 2023 2:46 PM

Mar 2021
Good start, hope it wont go down
Apr 10, 2023 9:04 PM
Jan 2021
what is the first violin piece called during the first minutes of the episode?
Apr 10, 2023 9:25 PM

Jun 2019
A bit interesting. Looking forward to more episodes.
Apr 10, 2023 10:16 PM

May 2018
A bit of a snoozefest, also I can't really understand the personality of the main character yet, at first he seems like a clone of Kiriyama, but then he gets pretty worked up later on. And then there's the girl, she looks annoying but let's see. The anime is not bad, but I was expecting a bit more, production-wise is not particularly good either. Either way, decent enough.

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Apr 10, 2023 11:44 PM

Oct 2020
having to wait a week for another episode should be illegal T-T

✧ THE NIGHT SHONE UPON TWO, ME & YOU ✧ FORUM SET BY:SAINTZEPH

Apr 11, 2023 7:49 AM
Jan 2021
If NHK invested more on this kind of anime than on Fumetsu no Anata e, of course life will be more meaningful. Slice of life is the best! 1! 1! 1!
Apr 11, 2023 9:18 AM
Dec 2016
Another dude is horny so he picks up music again anime
Apr 11, 2023 9:40 AM
Mar 2015
Our boi has lost his way since his dad left Maybe the violin can be his redemption despite his dads association with it
Apr 11, 2023 10:19 AM

Jul 2021
NezzxrV said:
what is the first violin piece called during the first minutes of the episode?
Violin Concerto by Mendelssohn, I think, the very end of 3rd movement.

Accompanied by a piano in the show, instead of a full orchestra.
Apr 11, 2023 10:21 AM
Dec 2021
landofthekwt said:
Our boi has lost his way since his dad left Maybe the violin can be his redemption despite his dads association with it
Bro, just because is in your favs. You are better than this!
Don't lose hope. I believe in you.
Apr 11, 2023 11:30 PM
Jan 2021
The very first scene made a real good impact. I'm looking forward to the next episodes.
Apr 11, 2023 11:56 PM
Jun 2017
a very interesting first episode.... in fact i love this one... 
Apr 12, 2023 2:50 AM

Jan 2021
The comedy was fine, it's just that I didn't expect it when in the middle of their first meeting, which I thought would be serious, instead I got a nosebleed joke lol.

The ED is so lovely. Looking forward to the next episode!

Apr 12, 2023 3:31 AM
May 2020
The plot is nothing new, "depressed boy stops doing what he loved but meets someone who returns his passion", but I really want to know what will happen and what happened. I think it's going to have a good background.
Akine reminds me of Asuka
Apr 12, 2023 8:17 AM
Feb 2018
KANLen09 said:
In many ways, mangaka Makoto Akui's Ao no Orchestra a.k.a Blue Orchestra is a mixture of Your Lie in April, Blue Period and Nodame Cantabile. And Nippon Animation is back after last year's somewhat mediocre Love No Play, anchoring another 24-episode series.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I do think the trope of either falling out of the craft or treating it like a sport is a little overdone. That said, this is already one of the most slept on titles of the season imo. 

Episode 1 had a sleepy start in my book--I could kind of see how many viewers might have dropped it within the first half. The female protagonist introduction eased us into the friction a little late in the opening episode, but nonetheless, I am very much looking forward to how the story develops.
Apr 12, 2023 9:41 AM

Mar 2012
I was looking forward to this since it's based on classical music but wasn't expecting a tsundere, oh please don't let this be some shitty romance about how the MC warms up to a tsundere bitch! Anything but that!
Apr 12, 2023 9:41 AM
Feb 2011
Love the manga for this one so I've been looking forward to the adaptation since they announced it> so far the quality is looking good! And it's going to be 2 whole cours> I can't wait to see how they adapt it. I personally love the story and actually getting to hear the music is going to be the cherry on top
Apr 12, 2023 9:43 AM
Jan 2018
Hopefully this one is good. High bar to meet because of Bocchi but maybe this will at least be Hibike level good.
Apr 12, 2023 12:11 PM

Nov 2016
Our tutor-student duo isn't off to the best start, but this will change for sure..hopefully.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 12, 2023 11:39 PM

Feb 2019
How does an award winning manga not get licensed by Hidive or crunchyroll? What’re their acquisition teams doing lmao. This was one of the best first episodes of the season. This is truly the season of slice of life. I absolutely love aono’s seiyuu performance and of course it’s shin and kiyopon! Art is beautiful, the music aspect seems like it’s going to be nuanced and detailed, I’m hype. This is probably going to be the hidden gem of the season.
Apr 13, 2023 6:36 AM
Jun 2022
This immediately reminds me of Mashiro no Oto and Kono Oto Tomare. Yes, I give this a shot for sure.
Apr 13, 2023 10:42 AM

Feb 2022
It's quite odd how this hasn't gotten picked up. The first episode didn't blow my mind or anything but it's a very solid and promising start to the show. I hope a service picks this up soon so it can get more attention.
Apr 13, 2023 1:04 PM

Jul 2021
Finally finished the episode, but it was honestly a struggle to get through.

There's nothing here that really grabs me yet. The story set-up and character introductions have been serviceable; there were absolutely no surprises or an interesting spin. Art was very nice to look at and felt high-quality, but fairly ordinary in terms of style. The animation was good, especially in the opening scene when Aono performs on stage. Voices and music were all good, nothing stood out.

There's nothing really bad about it either, so I will definitely keep up with the show. I really hope this turns out great, I've been looking for a new show with concert band/classical music (Sound Euphonium, Your Lie in April).

Apr 14, 2023 2:16 AM
Sep 2021
aono tries not to play violin due to his bitter past but destiny has a different plan. Let's see how violin playing will change aono's ife.
Apr 14, 2023 4:24 AM
Jun 2013
A subtitled simulcast of this starts today on AniPlus, for those wondering...

https://www.aniplus-asia.com/show/blue-orchestra/
Apr 14, 2023 8:32 AM
Apr 2023
Me gusta mucho ver la idea de que al prota tendrán que darle un gran y bueno desarrollo de personaje, lograra superar sus traumas por medio de una nueva chica, la cual lo ayudara a reconciliarse con la música, y la gran idea de que no c pero me gusta mucho
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ao no Orchestra Episode 24 Discussion

KANLen09 - Oct 8, 2023

29 by LockardGamer »»
Mar 12, 4:43 PM

Poll: » Ao no Orchestra Episode 10 Discussion

KANLen09 - Jun 11, 2023

18 by Asanchan »»
Feb 8, 10:10 PM

Poll: » Ao no Orchestra Episode 23 Discussion

KANLen09 - Oct 1, 2023

18 by Mr_Fudgee »»
Dec 29, 2023 1:28 AM

Poll: » Ao no Orchestra Episode 22 Discussion

KANLen09 - Sep 24, 2023

10 by Mr_Fudgee »»
Dec 24, 2023 8:55 PM

Poll: » Ao no Orchestra Episode 21 Discussion

KANLen09 - Sep 17, 2023

15 by Mr_Fudgee »»
Dec 22, 2023 8:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.