Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Parasyte
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 26, 2023 2:30 PM
Mar 2023
I don't think Parastye gets the recognition it deserves. It is my favorite anime of all time. The plot, the character development, Migi, it's just amazing. I highly recommended you watch it, and if you have watched tell me what you think of it. Please and thank you!
Mar 26, 2023 2:40 PM

May 2018
"Parasyte: The Maxim Appreciation Post"

1. Had interesting ideas and themes.
2. Failed to do anything meaningful with those.

There's a whole plethora of titles doing that same thing (failing good ideas) like PsychoPass or more recently 86.
alshuMar 26, 2023 11:46 PM
Mar 26, 2023 2:55 PM

Jul 2021
The plot itself was pretty boring, and it went way too preachy with the environmentalist stuff...
The one good plot thread was that mommy parasite, the rest wasn't worth seeing.
Mar 26, 2023 3:12 PM

Aug 2020
I like this series. It was thrilling. Although it went too overdrama and took death count to the unneeded, the story was catchy most of the time.

Mar 26, 2023 3:20 PM

Feb 2014
It's very good. I love the manga more because I didn't enjoy some of the directing and modernization decisions in the anime.

Surprised seeing people say the plot was meh, I think it has one of the more engaging plots in anime.
Mar 26, 2023 3:24 PM

May 2018
Yes, it's good, but I think it already got the recognition it deserves. It's a pretty popular anime, and very high rated, same for the manga, overall people like and know the story fairly well. 

Grant me one hour on love's most sacred shores
    To clasp the bosom that my soul adores,
    Lie heart to heart and merge my soul with yours
Mar 26, 2023 3:49 PM

Aug 2018
8/10 for me. first half is great but the second half has lots of issues so it's definitely not a masterpiece or anything. I especially didn't like the love triangle story. The losing girl was much more interesting than the other one. Could have combined their characters into one and improved things quite a bit. Overall a very solid show that could make a good gateway for people who don't watch anime.
Mar 26, 2023 3:51 PM

Oct 2010
it doesn't deserve any appreciation because the anime is a bad adaptation, the manga is superior in every aspect
Mar 26, 2023 3:53 PM

May 2021
It needs a remake, you need to delete all the shitt* romance, make Shinji more confident/stronger since the start and change his wannabe savior aptitude, maybe that the show can reach an 8/10.

The OP is a 10/10 though, a total banger!.
Mar 26, 2023 9:06 PM
Feb 2022
I though Parasyte was a solid 8/10 in my opinion I liked the first half of the series although I think that the second half especially towards the end was kind of a letdown. Also, I have a soft spot for this series because this and Akame Ga Kill were the first two anime watched when I started to get back into the medium about eight or nine years ago, so I always hold it in high regard because of this. 
Mar 26, 2023 10:02 PM

Sep 2021
It was decent, but I felt like it had too much sudden interruption of whatever with "I sense a parasyte near".
Mar 26, 2023 10:16 PM

Feb 2020
Yeah, it was a pretty good show. Better than I expected.
Mar 27, 2023 1:28 AM

Jun 2019
I'm with you on this, OP. It a 9/10 from me (and I don't have a huge abundance of 9s), and #14 in my overall Top 20 - a position and rank which it has occupied for quite some time and from which I do not foresee it being dislodged anytime soon.

When reading reviews and forum discussions pertaining to it on MAL and elsewhere on other websites, I've found despite its relative popularity and having some mainstream appeal it is also more divisive than one might initially suspect on first glance, although not to the same degree as some other series which tackle some of the same or related topics and themes. And within that divisive divide, I've found that generally the attributes which many people tend to cite about it as examples of bad things or points against it on the negative side of that divide are actually, on the contrary, that which provided more spice and heightened my interest level and investment in the series exponentially.

Besides being a committed veteran horror fan, fan of Sci-Fi Horror (this is basically an anime rendition of Invasion of the Body Snatchers, The Faculty, or Invaders from Mars with far more time to get psychologically inquisitive and philosophical), and body horror, as well as it having an overall above average OST with the inclusion of those two or three outright sublime tracks that fit certain segments and moods in the show like a pair of velvet gloves, the part which really helped make it special and set it apart for me was basically how openly and persistently the narrative is willing to get into challenging the worldview of anthropocentrism and how it accomplishes this though the creation of a running and evolving discourse and very vibrant, alive interplay with a non-human yet not only sentient, but also highly intelligent main character (Migi) capable of utilizing and conversing in human speech. For the same reason I enjoy any series with a mentally advanced but emotionally and/or socially alien, sometimes humanoid literal alien, vampire, mutant, etc. obviously envisioned and written by human writers and artists, but portraying an interpretation of a non-human (or at least, very uncommonly-held among humans) perspective on humanity's exploits.

It's also for that reason which leads me to believe it's something (and this ties into the environmentalism some mention, or you could say the deep ecology perspective it offers) which would come off as preachy to some, and beyond that, even innately and instinctively repellent to those who either celebrate and embrace anthropocentric-derived morality and values, or unconsciously internalize anthropocentrism and its outlook without even being aware of it. Even though, at least in my subjective experience, it seems to me like so many series of this type, it's not attempting to forcefully instruct or command the viewership in a way like "You must believe this!", but just initiating a dialogue and asking very poignant, interesting, even existential questions, which undoubtedly inevitably riles some people up.  

WatchTillTandavaMar 27, 2023 1:39 AM
Mar 27, 2023 2:49 AM

Feb 2014
WatchTillTandava said:
It's also for that reason which leads me to believe it's something (and this ties into the environmentalism some mention, or you could say the deep ecology perspective it offers) which would come off as preachy to some, and beyond that, even innately and instinctively repellent to those who either celebrate and embrace anthropocentric-derived morality and values, or subconsciously internalize anthropocentrism and its outlook. Even though, at least in my subjective experience, it seems to me like so many series of this type, it's not attempting to forcefully instruct or command the viewership in a way like "You must believe this!", but just initiating a dialogue and asking very poignant, interesting, even existential questions, which undoubtedly inevitably riles some people up. 
Parasyte lacking nuance in its message is a myth in my eyes. The author doesn't deny that he started the story with a pro-environmentalism mindset, but as the story continues you can see him sympathizing more and more with the "selfish" human mindset, which climaxes in the final battle between Izumi and Gotou where Izumi wonders if he has the right to kill him but decides to do so anyway because he puts protecting his loved ones over some environmentalistic ideal that he doesn't even fully understand himself. It's a clear message expressed through a binary decision the protagonist had to make, but I don't see how it's forced when the author earned it over almost 70 chapters of constant development and looking at the theme from various angles. It's not demonizing one side to make the other side look good, nor does it take the easy way out by taking the decision away from the protagonist.
Mar 27, 2023 3:10 AM

Jun 2019
MizunoWaveRider said:
WatchTillTandava said:
It's also for that reason which leads me to believe it's something (and this ties into the environmentalism some mention, or you could say the deep ecology perspective it offers) which would come off as preachy to some, and beyond that, even innately and instinctively repellent to those who either celebrate and embrace anthropocentric-derived morality and values, or subconsciously internalize anthropocentrism and its outlook. Even though, at least in my subjective experience, it seems to me like so many series of this type, it's not attempting to forcefully instruct or command the viewership in a way like "You must believe this!", but just initiating a dialogue and asking very poignant, interesting, even existential questions, which undoubtedly inevitably riles some people up. 
Parasyte lacking nuance in its message is a myth in my eyes. The author doesn't deny that he started the story with a pro-environmentalism mindset, but as the story continues you can see him sympathizing more and more with the "selfish" human mindset, which climaxes in the final battle between Izumi and Gotou where Izumi wonders if he has the right to kill him but decides to do so anyway because he puts protecting his loved ones over some environmentalistic ideal that he doesn't even fully understand himself. It's a clear message expressed through a binary decision the protagonist had to make, but I don't see how it's forced when the author earned it over almost 70 chapters of constant development and looking at the theme from various angles. It's not demonizing one side to make the other side look good, nor does it take the easy way out by taking the decision away from the protagonist.
Yes, and also notable in that situation and scene, might I add, at least as it was portrayed in the anime, is the fact that the reason why Shinichi is personally tasked with killing Gotou in the first place is because at that very moment of truth Migi shies away from it. Migi, who previously wouldn't think twice about exterminating another one, a dozen, 100 of other parasites, humans, dogs, cats, a school of fish, or any living thing, because he is portrayed as possessing a single-minded drive toward maximization of chances of survival to the exclusion of even consideration of all else and depicted more like I would imagine the inner workings of the mind of an insect or bacterium would be portrayed, is moved to inaction. And it's insinuated that at least for his one human partner or "friend", and now, also, members of his own species, he has gained some of the empathetic sense typical of a mammalian social animal. 
WatchTillTandavaMar 27, 2023 3:14 AM
Mar 27, 2023 3:52 AM

May 2018
It has such profound, life changing dialogues. 
"How dared you touch my boob you filthy villain."
"I'm sorry for touching your boob. I didn't intend to touch your boob when I touched your boob."
"Maybe I'll forgive you for touching my boob. Don't ever try to touch my boob again."
"I'll never touch your boob. Pinky promise."
Yeah, I dropped it after episode 2.

Mar 27, 2023 3:57 AM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
ima the number of unwanted criticisms in an appreciation post, I wonder how these people cope with when somebody does the same thing to their favs.
kizumi91Mar 27, 2023 4:04 AM
Mar 27, 2023 4:20 AM

Jul 2021
kizumi91 said:
ima the number of unwanted criticisms in an appreciation post, I wonder how these people cope with when somebody does the same thing to their favs.

Most people have long forgotten about my favourites already.
Mar 27, 2023 4:20 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
I like the milf mathematics teacher ryoko tamiya.
she was sexy badass milf

Mar 27, 2023 4:32 AM

Nov 2021
This one was one of the best animes i've ever watched 
it had everything at the highest rank . THE STORY WAS GREAT ,CHARACTERS WERE GREAT , VISUAL ,MUSIC,YOU NAME IT....
BUT WHAT THE HELL WAS THE EPISODE 21 ??!!! THAT SCENE . IT WAS THE WORST PART OF IT . AND IT WAS UNNECSAARY .

third picture :re:zero reddit ( [Media] Emilia & Subaru in kimono by@51senre)
Mar 27, 2023 5:13 AM
Mar 2023
kizumi91 said:

Well, if you can't handle criticism you shouldn't make a thread in the AD forum and just make it in the related anime forum.
Mar 27, 2023 5:19 AM

May 2021
I really enjoyed this show! people talked about it a lot when it first came out but I don’t see it mentioned anymore
migi was the best
Mar 27, 2023 5:28 AM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
Koloptr said:
kizumi91 said:

Well, if you can't handle criticism you shouldn't make a thread in the AD forum and just make it in the related anime forum.

bro do you have reading-comprehension problem?
Mar 27, 2023 5:31 AM
Mar 2023
kizumi91 said:
Koloptr said:

No but you have a problem with coping with criticisms of your favorite anime apparently even though you are not the one who made the thread.
Mar 27, 2023 5:32 AM

Jan 2021
Parasyte is an awesome series. One of my personal favourites I've seen.
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
Mar 27, 2023 7:25 AM
Seigi no Mikata

Sep 2021
Koloptr said:
kizumi91 said:

No but you have a problem with coping with criticisms of your favorite anime apparently even though you are not the one who made the thread.
You said no but you completely misunderstood my words. How ridiculous.
Aug 16, 2023 9:35 AM

Dec 2021
Parasyte is that 0.1% Anime in my list that I've rated full 10/10
If you want to reply to my posts, come up with valid arguments instead of ad hominem HIGHER LEVEL THINKERS ONLY
Aug 26, 2023 9:40 PM
Aug 2020
Definitely and accurately a 10/10, probably some people just can't understand the psychological perspectives of this anime "the tendency of wanting to be different is active in their perspectives"
Oct 3, 2023 12:04 PM
Aug 2023
Completed it yesterday for the first time and wanted to let the show breather a bit before talking about it, because I would have given it a 9/10, but as I given it time to marinate, it feels more like an 8/10 for me.

I found the story to be very engaging and interesting. There was some plot points I wish were re-visited that were for whatever reason dropped. I noticed a bunch of people not pleased with pacing and I kind of agree with that to an extent.

Character development was so good for Shinichi as well as Migi and Ryouko. My favorite side character was Shirou Kuramori and his story was very tragic thinking he was doing his job to the sudden realization of his involvement in something sinister made him a strong character.

If I could have given the show a 9/10, I would have if it wasn't for dropping some plot points I really hoped would be touched on by the end and the city hall episodes that I felt was just to show action with Shinichi and Migi sidelined during it.

I don't fault anyone for grading lower than an 8 and i also agree if you find it to be a masterpiece. Definitely will remain as one of my faves!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2015

381 by yarwe »»
May 3, 1:21 PM

Poll: » Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Mar 25, 2015

656 by crousu »»
May 1, 4:05 PM

Poll: » Kiseijuu: Sei no Kakuritsu Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 11, 2015

377 by yarwe »»
May 1, 3:09 PM

» Netfix - Parasyte: The Grey A Korean Live-Action series

sarahak - Aug 24, 2022

24 by Elfezen »»
Apr 23, 1:19 AM

» [SPOILERS] Parasyte: The Grey, Post-watch discussion thread

JVskunkape - Apr 13

0 by JVskunkape »»
Apr 13, 11:55 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.