Forum Settings
Forums

Shoujo/josei manga that should be made into anime

New
Feb 17, 2023 9:04 AM

Mar 2022
Hello, fellow shoujo/josei enjoyers!
Recently, there's been quite a drought in anime adaptations of shoujo and josei manga. So, I thought it would be fun to see what shoujo or josei manga y'all think should be made into anime! (Light novels are fine as well.) 

Here are some series that I think would be great animes:
-A Sign of Affection
-Prince Freya
-The King's Beast
-Lovesick Ellie
-Library Wars
The siren of a flightless bird

Quietly destroying its cage

Dance, until tonight, with a raised voice-

For I don't want to lose hope!

-Utsuro wo Aogu, Vivid BAS SQUAD
Feb 17, 2023 9:44 AM
Dec 2017
kagen no tsuki
fairy cube
godchild
angel sanctuary
life

Feb 17, 2023 10:07 AM

Jun 2021
- Tokimeki Tonight (Remake)
- Zekkyou Gakkyuu
- Helter Skelter (Movie)
Feb 17, 2023 10:48 AM

Feb 2017
Komomo Confisiere
Hajimari no Niina
Apothecarius Argentum
Best ending line in anime history = "My name is Saiki Kusuo. I am a psychic."
Feb 17, 2023 11:26 AM

Mar 2018
- From Far Away
- Red River
- Colette wa Shinu Koto ni Shita
- Mars
- Honey Lemon Soda
- My Love Mix-Up!
- Lovesick Ellie
- QQ Sweeper / Queen's Quality
- Hana-Kimi
- Pink to Habanero
- Namida Ame to Serenade
Feb 17, 2023 4:42 PM
Feb 2021
Basara
Red river
Tokyo crazy paradise
Mars

Why these masterpieces don't see the light and keep buried forever?
Feb 17, 2023 8:46 PM

Mar 2012
Atokata no Machi - it already has a drama adaptation, an anime would be great
Hikari to Tomo ni - this also has a drama adaptation
Feb 18, 2023 8:59 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
oh sweet, a shoujo discussion, come on out if you want, everyone!!
@RomanceEnjoyer48
@Jamison2210
@tinker3bellz1
@miicrowave
@kihel
@MCSmally
@spookynya
@saintvenus
@Shirayukin
@chronicvillainy
@lizzziziz
@PixiePuffer

as for my own thoughts, uhhhhhhhh... give me a second so i can type out a whole essay and fruit platter selection of picks

MibuKyou said:
Basara
Red river
Tokyo crazy paradise
Mars

i don't know...... *sigh* i just don't know either
Feb 18, 2023 9:03 PM
Dec 2017
MibuKyou said:
Basara
Red river
Tokyo crazy paradise
Mars

Its because industry senpai wants to fuck the fans up the ass with more and more of the same thing with neetaku isekai with the money they made from long suffering mothers that pay their allowance.

Feb 18, 2023 9:21 PM

Aug 2010
Thank you @Fario-P for the tag.

It is such a pleasant surprise that there are more shoujo and josei series coming out lately.

I still want Arisa (by Aria Tanemura) to be adapted into an anime since it's pretty unique as a shoujo.

For something ongoing, I want to see Kimi no Koe (by Miku Morinaga) being adapted.
Feb 18, 2023 9:28 PM
Dec 2017
Shirayukin said:

It is such a pleasant surprise that there are more shoujo and josei series coming out lately.

I still want Arisa (by Aria Tanemura) to be adapted into an anime since it's pretty unique as a shoujo.

For something ongoing, I want to see Kimi no Koe (by Miku Morinaga) being adapted.
Arisa is by Natsumi Tando actually lol. The Gentleman's Alliance on the otherhand, was by Arina Tanemura and has yet to have a proper adaptation and yeah her works do deserve the fruba treatment imo.

Feb 18, 2023 9:31 PM

Aug 2010
Crow_Black said:
Shirayukin said:

Arisa is by Natsumi Tando actually lol. The Gentleman's Alliance on the otherhand, was by Arina Tanemura and has yet to have a proper adaptation and yeah her works do deserve the fruba treatment imo.
OHH you're right!!! I mixed up the name... but yes, would like an anime adaptation for Gentleman's Alliance Cross too.
Feb 18, 2023 9:34 PM
Dec 2017
Shirayukin said:
Crow_Black said:
OHH you're right!!! I mixed up the name... but yes, would like an anime adaptation for Gentleman's Alliance Cross too.
Arisa was really great tho, and huge thanx a bunch for letting me know about the manga btw. And Time Stranger Kyoko was really short and CLAMP's Clover i loved the manga but the music vid was just too short and i'm still waiting for the manga to come out of hiatus so it can finally finish off.

Feb 18, 2023 10:26 PM

Aug 2010
QQ Sweeper and Queen's Quality could make a cool anime as long as they didn't tone down the dark elements.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

Feb 19, 2023 3:51 AM

Apr 2021
https://myanimelist.net/manga/84559/Nekota_no_Koto_ga_Kininatte_Shikatanai?q=nekota&cat=manga. ENOUGH SAID. the like 4 ep 1 min ona/special they gave us was actually infuriating WHERE IS THE JUSTICE DID THEY NOT SEE THE POTENTIAL WHAT IS EVEN GOING ON

also these already have adaptions but let's ignore that, give them a remake pls for the love of god. as musch as i love the vibes of these shows the amount of fillers is... we don't talk about it 🤭
https://myanimelist.net/manga/4998/Hime-chan_no_Ribbon?q=hime-chan&cat=manga
https://myanimelist.net/manga/18/Kodomo_no_Omocha

@chuskipop @todiefor ily give opinion 2 if u want mwahkisisekiss
Feb 19, 2023 3:53 AM

Sep 2020
Fario-P said:
@RomanceEnjoyer48
@Jamison2210
@tinker3bellz1
@miicrowave
@kihel
@MCSmally
@spookynya
@saintvenus
@Shirayukin
@chronicvillainy
@lizzziziz
@PixiePuffer

as for my own thoughts, uhhhhhhhh... give me a second so i can type out a whole essay and fruit platter selection of picks

MibuKyou said:
Basara
Red river
Tokyo crazy paradise
Mars

I would be interested to see an anime adaptation of:

-Queen's Quality
-Bokura no Kiseki
-Please Save My Earth (remake)
-Drowning Love
-Seiza no Onna
-& (Mari Okazaki)
-Is Love the Answer? (A movie could be great for this one)
-My Love Mix-Up
-The Tale of Genji
-Kaze Hikaru, and many more 😅
Feb 19, 2023 4:59 AM

May 2021
MAX Lovely!. Really, it's all I can wish for. I don't care if it's typical shoujo manga or what. If it's get animated, that would be a blessing for me

@Fario-P Thank you for tagging! Honestly my answer would always be the same hehe

𝑇𝐼𝑃𝑆 𝐼𝑁 𝐺𝐼𝑁𝑇𝐴𝑀𝐴
- NOT your usual shounen anime
- Pure comedy? DEAD WRONG
- Treat Gintama as SoL/weekly sitcom especially earlier seasons
- Ep 1 & 2 are for manga readers
- BIG patience for its 'slow' start

Feb 19, 2023 7:27 AM
💎💎💎💎

Aug 2020
@saintvenus thank u for da tag 😸

some of my personal favs that i'd love to see adapted are ;
https://myanimelist.net/manga/103562/Mairimashita_Senpai
https://myanimelist.net/manga/139104/Hikaeme_ni_Ittemo_Kore_wa_Ai
https://myanimelist.net/manga/134443/Megane_Tokidoki_Yankee-kun

and most importantly - https://myanimelist.net/manga/3633/Beast_Master , literally how hasn't this gotten an adaptation yet???

the day i died was
the day i started to live
Feb 19, 2023 6:07 PM

Mar 2021
Uh, I'll answer since there was some name in there, but to be honest, I'm not that interested in the anime adaptation since I feel like I'm too busy reading shoujo manga. I don't like remakes that much either...

Still, if I had to give one...
・Tokyo Mew Mew Olé!
・Raise wa Tanin ga Ii
・Ouji ga Watashi wo Akiramenai!
・Akazukin Chacha (a comedy remake without the transformation of the original manga).

And then there's Yuuki Shinohara's Kinkakokushunju series, which I'm not sure if it should be classified as a light novel and is not listed in MAL. Chinese-style fantasy similar to Saiunkoku Monogatari.

Mar 2, 2023 6:32 PM

Dec 2020
Fario-P said:
@RomanceEnjoyer48
@Jamison2210
@tinker3bellz1
@miicrowave
@kihel
@MCSmally
@spookynya
@saintvenus
@Shirayukin
@chronicvillainy
@lizzziziz
@PixiePuffer

MibuKyou said:
Basara
Red river
Tokyo crazy paradise
Mars

ty for the tag so sorry im so late DX
personally id Love to see kitchen princess get an anime!! its my absolute fave n one of my first mangas ever so it means a whole lot to me!!!
Mar 2, 2023 6:42 PM

Dec 2022
I would definitely say: Otomen!! It's a great shoujo manga that seems quite ahead of it's time, It would be a great anime. :)
                                                                                                                                           ~A-Zone~                       Enjoy everything!

Mar 3, 2023 12:23 AM

Apr 2015
Oof yes please, the last decent shoujo anime I've watched that came out "recently" was Kageki Shoujo, 1.5 years ago...or just give me Chihayafuru S4 and I'll be content for the next few years.

- Oresama Teacher
- Wake Up, Sleeping Beauty
- Last Game
- Gakuen Alice (remake)

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Mar 3, 2023 12:53 AM

Jan 2021
I want a good adaptation of "Queens's Quality".
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Mar 3, 2023 8:03 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Kuro-senpai to Kuroyashiki no Yami ni Mayowanai

Mar 17, 2023 1:17 AM
Aug 2021
Have a lot thoughts about it, I suppose Ma no Kakera.
Mar 22, 2023 12:23 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
good afternoon to you all!!
@CourtRoseFaerie
@cacagorilla
@Saeryen
@altomew
@hwanghyunjin
@Calabre006
@glamazon
@Teirayo
@redvelvetdoll
@FluffySama
@Lucifrost
@Caschan02

sorry if any of you don't like getting tagged, but i just thought maybe you might want to share your thoughts here. you don't have to if you don't want, but it's not everyday that i get to see a shoujosei discussion thread, so i like to try and celebrate the few we do get and talk about it with fellow fans! besides, here in the Manga Discussion board, it may not be as active as the other boards but that means there's a bit more of a tight knit community!

so... what are y'all's thoughts and answers for OP's topic? :)

...i still haven't decided my picks yet sorry haha
Fario-PMar 22, 2023 12:34 PM
Mar 22, 2023 1:24 PM

May 2021
I thought Library Wars has gotten an adaption? I swear I watched a Library Wars movie recently.

I haven't read that many Shoujo/Josei, but I also don't really check demographics of the stuff I consume.

I think Kimi no Sekai ni Koi wa Nai and Renzu-sou no Sankaku could make for a decent anime movie adaptation. They're a bit short to get a full series though.
Reville_Mar 22, 2023 1:29 PM
Mar 22, 2023 1:44 PM

Sep 2018
Alice 19th, please! Also The Demon Prince of Momochi House and Who Made Me a Princess
~Saeryen~Cure Cantata~

Invoke love, invoke hope, please heal everything!

Mar 22, 2023 1:55 PM

Oct 2018
Thanks for tagging me @Fario-P ! For OP, those are great choices! So, on top of my head:

- Anything made by Megumi Morino. Wake Up, Sleeping Beauty would work wonders as a short anime series or a two-parter movie. Meanwhile, A Condition Called Love is one of the shoujo high school romances I need to see animated, I love the lead's relationship, and they develop both individually and as couple.

- Honey Lemon Soda. This is the other high school romance series that shueisha should promote more.

- Queen's Quality. We've been missing some good action/supernatural shoujo lately.

- The Savior's Book Café Story in Another World. Short isekai romance with leads that are over 30, I'm seated. 

- My Love Mix-Up! It's got a successful live action series, it's got a funny premise mixed in (no pun intended) with romance and a bit of drama. Fans of sasamiya and my love story would love it.

- From Far Away. Giving some recognition to older isekai now, it's an excellent manga and I'm baffled it doesn't have an anime after so many years.

- Is Love the Answer? Anime film. Now. 

- Will you marry me again when we're reborn? Another one that's film material. It'd make me cry so damn much. 

- Usotoki Rhetoric. Historical mysteries are a rarity among anime series, even more so if they're shoujosei. 
Mar 22, 2023 2:03 PM
Dec 2017
Caschan02 said:
Thanks for tagging me @Fario-P ! For OP, those are great choices! So, on top of my head:

- Anything made by Megumi Morino. Wake Up, Sleeping Beauty would work wonders as a short anime series or a two-parter movie. Meanwhile, A Condition Called Love is one of the shoujo high school romances I need to see animated, I love the lead's relationship, and they develop both individually and as couple.

- Honey Lemon Soda. This is the other high school romance series that shueisha should promote more.

- Queen's Quality. We've been missing some good action/supernatural shoujo lately.

- The Savior's Book Café Story in Another World. Short isekai romance with leads that are over 30, I'm seated. 

- My Love Mix-Up! It's got a successful live action series, it's got a funny premise mixed in (no pun intended) with romance and a bit of drama. Fans of sasamiya and my love story would love it.

- From Far Away. Giving some recognition to older isekai now, it's an excellent manga and I'm baffled it doesn't have an anime after so many years.

- Is Love the Answer? Anime film. Now. 

- Will you marry me again when we're reborn? Another one that's film material. It'd make me cry so damn much. 

- Usotoki Rhetoric. Historical mysteries are a rarity among anime series, even more so if they're shoujosei. 
seconded for usotoki rhetoric, i read it like a few months ago or so and it was fan-fucking-tastic iom and is love the answer still a really good aroace manga.

Mar 22, 2023 2:51 PM

Feb 2021
Thanks for the tag!

I'd like to see & (and) get adapted. It strikes a good mix between between light hearted and heavy, and I really appreciate the ending. I also recently read Koudai-ke no Hitobito and I'd be happy to see that animated too. It's honestly the funniest romance I've read in a while and it being animated would enhance the comedy.

Unrelatedly, I'm glad to see Godchild was mentioned. I recently purchased the manga so it's nice to know I'll be in good hands when it arrives.
cryptic
and
Squab
Mar 22, 2023 3:10 PM

Jun 2022
@Fario-P Thank you for tagging me! <3

I would like anime for

- QQ Sweeper/Queen's Quality
- A Sign of Affection
- Basara
- 7SEEDS (but actually a good adaptation)
- Oresama Teacher
- Mars
- Fushigi Yugi: Genbu Kaiden
-Prince Freya

And since some manhwa have been getting anime adaptations and I have close friends who got me into it, I'll share some:

- Roxana (I actually dreamed this got an anime and was sad when I woke up and realized it wasn't reality)
- Your Throne
- Your Majesty Please Spare Me This Time

And when I get around to reading these I will expect I will be wanting anime adaptations for these, too:

- Honey Lemon Soda
- A Condition Called Love
- Do Not Say Mystery
- Wake Up, Sleeping Beauty
- Colette Decides to Die
-Mahoujin Chrono Canon
- Nina the Starry Bride

EDIT: Oh, and I have to bring up Kitchen Princess (my online bestie and I bonded over this manga, and we made people into shoujo fans with it) and Machida-kun no Sekai (everyone I've made read this has given it a 10/10 and said it's life changing). I can't believe I forgot about these!
CourtRoseFaerieMar 22, 2023 3:14 PM
Mar 22, 2023 4:32 PM

Mar 2018
Arashiiiii said:
- From Far Away
- Red River
- Colette wa Shinu Koto ni Shita
- Mars
- Honey Lemon Soda
- My Love Mix-Up!
- Lovesick Ellie
- QQ Sweeper / Queen's Quality
- Hana-Kimi
- Pink to Habanero
- Namida Ame to Serenade

adding more to the list:

- Dengeki Daisy
- Tsubaki-chou Lonely Planet
- A Condition Called Love
- Unmei no Hito ni Deau Hanashi (How I Met My Soulmate)
- Kagen no Tsuki
- Tokyo Crazy Paradise
- Prince Freya

Manhwa:

- Roxana
- Villains Are Destined to Die
- Father, I Don't Want this Marriage
- Kill the Villainess
- Under the Oak Tree
Mar 22, 2023 4:38 PM

Mar 2022
You all have excellent ideas! Thanks for the love shown to this post :)
The siren of a flightless bird

Quietly destroying its cage

Dance, until tonight, with a raised voice-

For I don't want to lose hope!

-Utsuro wo Aogu, Vivid BAS SQUAD
Mar 22, 2023 7:52 PM

Feb 2016
Fario-P said:
You should already have picks, as you yourself asked this very question in the past.
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1929551&show=0
You picked Kitchen Princess.

Most of my favorite manga have been adapted already, but many have been adapted poorly. What I want most is remakes! The Poe Clan is my top choice if remakes are off the table. Or the Psychedelica series if I'm allowed to ask for adaptations of actual otome games rather than books that run on game mechanics.
その目だれの目?
Mar 22, 2023 8:09 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Lucifrost said:
Fario-P said:
You should already have picks, as you yourself asked this very question in the past.
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1929551&show=0
You picked Kitchen Princess.

Most of my favorite manga have been adapted already, but many have been adapted poorly. What I want most is remakes! The Poe Clan is my top choice if remakes are off the table. Or the Psychedelica series if I'm allowed to ask for adaptations of actual otome games rather than books that run on game mechanics.
Well yeah, but I want to make a whole list with descriptions in a later post and not just one. Right now I'm kinda tired to think sorry
Mar 23, 2023 3:16 AM
Mar 2023
I think that lot's of Wataru Yoshizumi's work should be, like Random Walk and Mint na Bokura, and I also feel like Love Berrish and Chocolate Cosmos should be.
                                 cacagorilla will take over
Mar 23, 2023 4:39 PM

Sep 2014
thank you for the tag @Fario-P ! unfortunately im a bit behind on the more recent shoujo manga since my biggest phase was almost a decade ago,
but i am also interested in catching up so seeing these suggestions help :)
from my old favourites, my # 1 pick would be Oresama Teacher! Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun was received pretty well so im sure that oresama teacher would be pretty entertaining for a lot of people to watch as a delinquent-based comedy slice-of-life style show :)
i agree with the others who picked My Love Mix-Up and Is Love the Answer?, i also don't know if this one falls under the shoujosei demographic but 10th: You and I fell in love with the same person would be a good addition too!
Last Game is long overdue for an adaptation as well in my opinion
the manga for Okobore Hime to Entaku no Kishi was discontinued but the light novel did go on to be over 17 volumes so it would be great to have another anime with the strong intelligent princess archetype protagonist
and for a similar reason Raise wa Tanin ga Ii because i love the protagonist haha
and finally a few mystery-focused ones that I don't imagine would ever get animated but would feel really cool if they do are Arisa and Piece !
Mar 23, 2023 4:49 PM

May 2021
Usotoki Rhetoric and Usemono Yado imo

Pls don't write animeS or mangaS >.< // + <50 man(g/hw/hu)a not in MAL. // Join my >manga club< here!

Mar 30, 2023 3:22 AM

Jun 2017
A Shigehoushi adaptation would be great.
If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then live beautifully until the end.
” -Gintoki Sakata

More topics from this board

» Do you guys pick up completed axed manga.

zkl_ - Feb 28

14 by Eziprez »»
54 minutes ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

380 by Kkulpanda »»
2 hours ago

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

9 by Shirayukin »»
12 hours ago

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

22 by Timeline_man »»
Yesterday, 3:20 PM

» From all the ongoing (and on hiatus) manga, you can choose only one to eventually reach a conclusion. Which one would it be?

Caciulacdlac - Apr 10

5 by nishant0 »»
Yesterday, 1:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.