Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Nov 30, 2022 5:50 PM

Jul 2020
It’s finally happened! Crazy how just two of the eight episodes brought this show from a dumpster fire to something genuinely enjoyable; if I hadn’t expected there to be twist I probably would have dropped ages ago haha

"Truth is always a cruel thing."

Nov 30, 2022 5:55 PM
Dec 2021
Great episode that gave a lot of great context on what we had already expected.
Nov 30, 2022 6:00 PM

Jan 2021
Everything was VR afterall, what an plot twist.

Asahi doesn't want to accept it still that he's back to reality but the doctor wants to prove it to him which he still declines. Asahi thinks that he's still in VR when he goes to school but it seems like he's back in reality. A classmate recognizes Asahi but thinks that she is imagining things.

The doctor explains how the AI's were made and how their emotions were made and how Asahi got selected for the test run or some kind, damn they got far with AI technology.

Pretty sad to see that Asahi lost his childhood friend Ai though.

The ending though, everything went black and Aoi appeared on screen, wtf.

Either this is all an simulation or its the real world.

P.S. this show actually went from shit to interesting real quick lol.
Nov 30, 2022 6:18 PM
Oct 2022
Wow, this show really surprised me with how it picked up.

Originally I was watching this show just because I liked trash, and it was amazing for trash.

And now, its in contention for my best show of the year.

Thank you renai flops, you are truly one of the shows of all time.
Nov 30, 2022 6:33 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
The truth has revealed itself, like some of the early predictions I saw our boy Asahi has been living the dream in a simulation testing a new type of AI, and this AI was made using the mind of his dead childhood friend, definitely makes sense giving the various flashbacks all the girls in the show have had, and it looks like after being kicked out the simulation the same AI is attacking the real world at the end there, and I thought that might happen when the glasses babe mentioned that the same AI was used in all the common ones today lol, this is about to get wild.

I’ll say tho it’s pretty sad all those fun girls were just AI, but they felt very real for sure, the future is scary man, it might be where we’re heading. I also noticed there’s a loli version of Mongfa, tho I think I prefer the hot sensei version lol. I do wonder if this show will ever return to the fun harem shenanigans we saw for most of it, but it looks like the arc we’re entering is gonna be way different, it was fun while it lasted, time for an AI invasion lol. Also nice new ED, really liked it.

And man, it’s a bit of a shame that so many people thought this show was garbage before the last two episodes, it hurts my little harem heart lol. But that’s just how it is, it’s a looked down on genre but it’s one I really love.
TheColonel76Nov 30, 2022 6:42 PM
Nov 30, 2022 6:36 PM

Sep 2017
So THAT was the reason Yoshio always kept an eye on Asahi... I didn't expect him to be the doctor's avatar in the VR world. It also explains why Aoi/Ai kept trying to get rid of Yoshio, I guess she wants to tell Asahi to face reality and accept Ai's death.

Man, that was grim. My boy just wanted to see his childhood friend once more and he ended up being used in an experiment (which he signed up for, to be fair). They could've toned down the info dump a lil' bit, but they told us basically everything we needed to know, so it's not that big of a problem, for me at least.

I'd like to know where will they go from here.
Good
Nov 30, 2022 6:53 PM
Aug 2018
asahi the mc who always gets angry when women approach him, refuses to be echi, lol

it's the type of mc that pisses me off,

now he's shocked when he finds out the women aren't real,
to be honest I'm not sad to see asahi but feel satisfied lol
Nov 30, 2022 6:57 PM
Oct 2020
God, I had Wonder Egg vibes watching this episode…why couldn’t it finish off as the fun trash it started off as…
Nov 30, 2022 7:01 PM
Jun 2021
_slowdiver said:
God, I had Wonder Egg vibes watching this episode…why couldn’t it finish off as the fun trash it started off as…
well i guess it really becomes best anime of the season or year in my opinion
The way it plays with viewers is really something which can't be expected from 12ep original anime
Like you can't actually predict the ending as the case with cyberpunk
Nov 30, 2022 7:02 PM
Jun 2021
HD90 said:
asahi the mc who always gets angry when women approach him, refuses to be echi, lol

it's the type of mc that pisses me off,

now he's shocked when he finds out the women aren't real,
to be honest I'm not sad to see asahi but feel satisfied lol
ya nice change of pace
Nov 30, 2022 7:06 PM
Jun 2021
TheColonel76 said:
The truth has revealed itself, like some of the early predictions I saw our boy Asahi has been living the dream in a simulation testing a new type of AI, and this AI was made using the mind of his dead childhood friend, definitely makes sense giving the various flashbacks all the girls in the show have had, and it looks like after being kicked out the simulation the same AI is attacking the real world at the end there, and I thought that might happen when the glasses babe mentioned that the same AI was used in all the common ones today lol, this is about to get wild.

I’ll say tho it’s pretty sad all those fun girls were just AI, but they felt very real for sure, the future is scary man, it might be where we’re heading. I also noticed there’s a loli version of Mongfa, tho I think I prefer the hot sensei version lol. I do wonder if this show will ever return to the fun harem shenanigans we saw for most of it, but it looks like the arc we’re entering is gonna be way different, it was fun while it lasted, time for an AI invasion lol. Also nice new ED, really liked it.

And man, it’s a bit of a shame that so many people thought this show was garbage before the last two episodes, it hurts my little harem heart lol. But that’s just how it is, it’s a looked down on genre but it’s one I really love.
well it also makes sense because ai's father uses his daughter's brain to create modern ai used in Anime so her interfering in real world also makes sense since they have same data( as stated that human brain data coping is too much for AI)
Nov 30, 2022 7:07 PM
May 2017
Starting on this episode, the story becomes much more interesting... and it leaves a threat in the air.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Nov 30, 2022 7:24 PM
Oct 2020
This episode was literally "snap back to reality"

Anyways this is what I've been waiting for. If it really was just a normal harem with a bunch of girls that love him for no reason I wouldn't have watched this at all. I was expecting simulation but thought maybe all the girls existed or just one. So it turns out they are all based on a dead person.
Nov 30, 2022 8:07 PM

Dec 2010
Tsukumo_Yuuma said:
Chipp12 said:

You sure you were properly watching the episode? 'Cause it was explained that the girls had no relation to Asahi and were just creations of scientists from different countries. Those memories were most likely planted by Ai AI who has decided to interfere with the experiment.

You two need to watch the episode again lol, Yoshino said that ALL the human-like AIs are created from the same AI the doctor (Ai's father) created 3 years ago (by copying his dying daughter's/Asahi's childhood friend's brain). The designs were created from people from different countries, but all the girls have memories from their childhood with Asashi because they're all based on Ai Izawa.

Well if you didn't write it as
created from girls Asahi knows

I wouldn't be confused by your post. Since it's just one girl.
Also it doesn't explain why they have memories with Asahi. If they indeed had them then they'd knew about him from the start but they unlocked those flashbacks only at certain points (all of them had sudden realizations about their past relationship after seeing that flashback which is a strange behavior for somebody who already had that memory from the start).
Chipp12Nov 30, 2022 8:23 PM
Nov 30, 2022 8:13 PM

Feb 2021
Damn so this was the big plot twist, it was all a simulation and Aoi is a copy Asahi's deceased childhood friend...
Nov 30, 2022 9:19 PM
ehhhhhh

Jun 2016
Askd_d said:
sabishiihito said:

Now I wonder if the "Flops" part of the title has to do with processing power, like gigaflops. But in this instance, exactly as it says it's processing love hence "Renai Flops."

There was some discussion about this on Reddit when the show first aired, and honestly, I think the name is pretty clever. Flops taken as the floating-point term would mean computerized love, and Flops taken literally as Flops would also portray how the love experienced by the MC is literally "flopped" in this plot twist. This anime is shaping up to be pretty interesting!

So just to add to this, the daughter's name is Ai, which also means love. So Love Flops, Ai Flops, AI Flops. Maybe I'm reaching with this one.
I'm no Weeaboo
I'm Katsura
Nov 30, 2022 9:43 PM

Dec 2015
Chipp12 said:
Tsukumo_Yuuma said:

You two need to watch the episode again lol, Yoshino said that ALL the human-like AIs are created from the same AI the doctor (Ai's father) created 3 years ago (by copying his dying daughter's/Asahi's childhood friend's brain). The designs were created from people from different countries, but all the girls have memories from their childhood with Asashi because they're all based on Ai Izawa.

Well if you didn't write it as
created from girls Asahi knows

I wouldn't be confused by your post. Since it's just one girl.
Also it doesn't explain why they have memories with Asahi. If they indeed had them then they'd knew about him from the start but they unlocked those flashbacks only at certain points (all of them had sudden realizations about their past relationship after seeing that flashback which is a strange behavior for somebody who already had that memory from the start).

I'm not the first guy you replied to, so I didn't say "from girls Asahi knows" lol.
Anyway I think since they all have different personalities and designs, they don't share Ai's memories (I guess they can change/block their memories since Asahi forgot a lot of stuff in the VR), but their time with Asahi made them unlock part of Ai's childhood with Asahi (I guess sorta like when a character gets memories of their past life or something).
Tsukumo_YuumaDec 1, 2022 10:50 AM
Nov 30, 2022 9:49 PM
Nov 2021
THE QUALITY OF ROMANCE GENRE HAS FALLEN IN ANIME INDUSTRY.

I AM REALLY DISAPPOINTED!!
Nov 30, 2022 10:03 PM
Nov 2020
HD90 said:

To be fair, the women were programmed to be hyper aggressive to him at the start so no wonder he's repulsed at the start. He has every right to think that them all confessing and moving into his house on the same day was a horrible prank.
Nov 30, 2022 10:16 PM

Nov 2020
The mc is send back to isekai reality, meet the scientist and explaining to mc it's simulation for whole time, mc get ratio + depressing, aoi the yandere ai is back.

Nothing word I can describe my happiness watch this anime series, have faith to this anime will be good and now is the payoff for it. I can't wait for the next episode.

Just Monika Aoi.
What Does Pot of Greed do?
Nov 30, 2022 11:38 PM

Apr 2022
getting interesting... what happened to the other girls then?
Nov 30, 2022 11:53 PM

May 2019
Man what a plot twist. Previous to this episode there were theories that this may be a VR world but even with it being confirmed now I felt sad that the girls weren't real (I mean within the anime) and felt the MCs pain, especially after finding out his real life friend Ai died.

Yesterday was also sad in the anime world as 2 other characters died in 2 different animes (I won't spoil). The end where Aoi comes back makes me wonder if that AI will try to reach out to Asahi and if the real high school girl will intervene. I've been enjoying watching this as a silly harem but now I'll be watching with more curiosity and some potential sadness.
Nov 30, 2022 11:54 PM
Aug 2021
Here's something that's bugging me. Hear me out...
Disclaimer: this only applies in the anime. Even if it also applies to the real world, the following "shower thought" was nothing personal.

Remember that Dr. Yoshio Feynman mentioned each AI that Asahi met was made by researchers of different countries according to the interest of the people?
Even though they're all based on the original AI, Ai, made by Kotaro Izawa, does this mean the different girls that Asahi met are actually what the degenerates of each countries want?
For example:
1) Aoi is an AI made by Japanese scientists. Does that mean Japanese people prefer a cute, cheerful girl who is like a caring housewife as their waifu? (or is Aoi just an AI directly based off Ai's personality?)

2) Amelia is an AI made by Americans. So the Americans prefer cute lolis as their waifu? Is that why the FBI was made?

3) Karin is made by Germans. Don't tell me Germans like Mahou Shoujo (Magical Girls) stuff?

4) Mongfa is an AI made in China, which seems legit for them to prefer waifus of a larger age (oneesan or okaasan or sensei) and can literally kill for you.

5) Ilya is made by Bulgarian scientists. This one, I'm a bit worrying. So Bulgarians prefer tomboys or literally boys?

No offense to the mentioned countries. These only applies in the anime.

TLDR of ep8: This is no ecchi romcom harem shit, its more depressing than expected. A reminder to all degenerates: don't indulge in VR too much, don't fall in love with virtual girls.
Nov 30, 2022 11:55 PM
May 2019
I knew this show would eventually get deep but I didn't think it'd also make me cry. Definitely a 10/10 now.
Dec 1, 2022 12:03 AM
May 2019
misfit25 said:
bruh what the f is going on. it went from generic plotless title to somewhat mysterious and exciting. can someone tell me how many episodes of renai flops and how's the manga progress compared to it's adaptation?

The manga is being adapted from the anime
Dec 1, 2022 12:06 AM
May 2019
GakutoDeathGlare said:
Damn, that was quite a cool (not to mention cruel) twist, just so happened to be in the worst anime of the season lol... Raise my score by 1 for that episode.

Anime of the Year for me
Dec 1, 2022 1:24 AM

Jul 2021
the post-credit gave me goosebumps. aoi has legit falled in love with asahi and she wanted him to stay in that world forever but when asahi started talking about the other girls in last episode, aoi felt betrayed and locked him out of the VR and he was forced back to reality. now this same aoi has taken over the real world? and did she fuckcing delete amelia, karin, mongfa and irina????????? bro it's just ;ike AI taking over the world or some shit over it's love for a human. damn.

they already dropped some hint with "Ai" name lol, we were just too dumb to notice it.

i thought it would be hilarious if it all was a simulation but now i don't think it is. it's just fucking sad. asahi lived in that world for months and completely forgot about the reality. it's completely understandable that he's that depressed. it was almost like playing with his feelings :/

the first episode makes so much more sense after the revalation.

the childhood friend revlation was the most suprising. i have no idea why the dad didn't just make a AI Ai from the memories and it would have been like she never died.

the cherry blossom scene from episode 1 held a meaning we weren't aware of.

great ED and great episode. with this episode, this anime deserves a rating of at least 8. depending on the ending i might rate it 10 as well. let's see. looking forward to next episode.

the rating of this anime better go up now. give it the love it deserves.

also me *laughing and pointing at the reviewers who reviewed it as shit after watching 3/4 episodes*
TsutanaiFuunDec 1, 2022 1:34 AM

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Dec 1, 2022 3:20 AM

Mar 2022
The AI Exposition Dump is horrible
Dec 1, 2022 4:10 AM
Jan 2020
nah these needs better execution, at least they tried
Dec 1, 2022 4:11 AM
Aug 2021
Chipp12 said:
MegamiRem said:
So Aoi was created from Asahi's childhood friend and most likely the other four AIs are also created from girls Asahi knows since there was all the flashbacks.

You sure you were properly watching the episode? 'Cause it was explained that the girls had no relation to Asahi and were just creations of scientists from different countries. Those memories were most likely planted by Ai AI who has decided to interfere with the experiment.

didn't every girl have a childhood flashback with Asahi after every major event in the anime?
Dec 1, 2022 4:36 AM
Apr 2013
Seems you guys have been busy. But anyway. Seems like the pieces are (slowly) starting to fall into place.
A kinda subdued ep this time, but the big plot tweest is revealed and we know or can mostly guess what's happening.
Some how the plot seems kinda familiar, but well, I'm not super familiar with ai or vr related plots, so maybe they just coincidentally appear to be the same.

The question is, why plot twist so early and so drastically? We still have several eps left to go so there's still quite a bit more to go. I'm wondering if/we will see the girls again, but it's hard to tell. More plot twist of course, but at this point.

In hindsight perhaps we/I should have known, someone else pointed out that all the girls have A-I in their name somewhere, (heck even asahi has it in both his names), and the fact that yoshio is just one letter short from yoshino, should have known. Though it wouldnt have changed much in the end.

I almost (or maybe I really do) miss the shenanigans of the previous eps now, this ep was just kinda gloomy in an evitable sense.

The question now is how does asahi and everything reconcile, and the question or how and why. I'm not even sure if we're going to get a happy ending or if the remaning eps are going to be just as dark and gloomy, or even more. It does seem awfully convenient and everything but well.

Also have to go back and compare the OP, I've been skipping it but I noticed one or two interesting things in this ep's OP.

In other news, apparently people have been comparing this to DDLC (among others), but its funny because I have no idea since I never finished DDLC.

EDIT: Anyone noticed the next ep previews have been getting shorter? I guess they can't or wont tell us more without spoiling

A few days ago before the ep aired I actually saw they posted a longer preview for ep 8 on the yootoob. But oh well, even then I couldnt have guessed the drastic turn and depressing ep we had this time.

Also the implication is if they have the technology to do VR, they also have the technology to alter memories (since clearly asahi forgor). Who knows if they'll bring it up though.

Something they dont talk about, if the VR months were all compressed into one day, wouldnt that have caused massive strain on asahi? And how would the scientists keep up with the "rapid developments"?

EDIT: I've gone back and checked, both yoshino and the other shows up in the op way back in ep2, though both are very brief. There's still the case of the random satellite shot but who knows.

An anime getting a new ED halfway through (not quite halfway, but close enough I guess) isnt new, though the instrumental only ED last ep was quite surprising since I've never seen that before.
CocoaGalaxyDec 1, 2022 5:38 AM
Dec 1, 2022 5:26 AM

Feb 2020
Interesting...
Probabaly the best episode so far, can't wait for next week!
Dec 1, 2022 5:42 AM

Jun 2021
Just Monika went to outside world fr
Dec 1, 2022 7:14 AM
Dec 2022
Noooooo!!!!!!!!!!!
Dec 1, 2022 7:14 AM
Dec 2022
Noooooo!!!!!!!!
Dec 1, 2022 7:35 AM
Jul 2022
Damn twist, never expected it will be so
Dec 1, 2022 8:09 AM
Nov 2019
Very underrated anime
Nice plot twist
Sci fi
Dealing with virtual Reality and Artificial intelligence

Not your every day rom com harem

I mean it began like any other harem but… not quiet

I like it!!
Dec 1, 2022 8:14 AM
Oct 2022
I'm wondering, has anyone managed to decipher the morse code looking message from episode 3 yet?
https://images2.imgbox.com/7b/ba/Pfeg9kLu_o.png
Dec 1, 2022 8:23 AM
Oct 2022
mkzxwing said:
Still think they took too long with the reveal...and now a whole episode of scarred passive amnesiac mc (worst trope) + new exposition dump (also bad thing to do). And yey despite the exposition dump they still don't explain why he seems to have amnesia or something? I mean, rejecting reality is one thing, but going in for an experiment, having a realistic long dream and then waking up insane is...
Did the newtwch fry part of his brain sao style..?

I like that they're trying something original but so far the execution is kind of lacking, the only really special and well made part was the second half of ep7

Considering the early termination of the experiment, who knows what processes went wrong with the memory stuff? Obviously, certain memories were blocked going into it for the sake of the experiment. It doesn't look like he's amnesiac though. He recovered his memories as the episode went on but has to cope with what happened. I think certain explanations you're looking for are just a result of not understanding the situation. Maybe a rewatch could help?
Dec 1, 2022 8:24 AM
Oct 2022
hellnavigator said:
Chipp12 said:

didn't every girl have a childhood flashback with Asahi after every major event in the anime?

Those were all Ai's memories.
Dec 1, 2022 8:25 AM
May 2021
i began to lose interest in the show with all the nonsensical happenings, but with this episode everything is starting to actually make some type of sense. the big plot twist kind of explains why everything happening seemed to be so out of the blue. also seems to have changed the genre of the show, haha. can't wait for the next episode though. i hope more of the story is explained because im getting interested again
My 2023 candies:
Dec 1, 2022 9:12 AM

Nov 2020
TsutanaiFuun said:

also me *laughing and pointing at the reviewers who reviewed it as shit after watching 3/4 episodes*

^This.

Poor soul who get foolish by 3 episode rules, they should take all shit reviewed after watch this episode.
What Does Pot of Greed do?
Dec 1, 2022 9:57 AM

Jul 2020
wow that was quite a twist, very intriguing
Dec 1, 2022 11:15 AM

Jul 2014
A much-needed episode of exposition to finally explain what's truly been going on this whole time. It was already a great twist, and the additional context to Ai and Aoi just makes it all the better.
Dec 1, 2022 11:40 AM

Nov 2014
I guess that explains what were those flashbacks of other girls: memories of Ai with Asahi.

But tbh I have mixed feelings about the direction this anime took. It's good, sure, but not what I signed up for.
Dec 1, 2022 12:21 PM
Mar 2020
SNAP BACK TO REALITY JUST GOT REAL!
Dec 1, 2022 1:04 PM
Aug 2021
With no words, everything turns out to be a simulation bro, what?

I never expectad that plot twist, going from harem to seinen. Maybe I'm exaggerating but the plot twist surprised me.

This anime is getting better and better with the passing of the episodes. And if you disagree ok xD.
Dec 1, 2022 1:40 PM

Sep 2020
Pretty interesting plot twist, didn't see that coming, I think Aoi is trying to break this situation. Also just noticed the poster has changed.
Dec 1, 2022 2:11 PM

Feb 2019
Wow, what a turn of events in Renai Flops. I definitely see the Muv Luv influence now. I always knew Ai/Aoi was the realest of the bunch, makes sense given she was a copy of Asahi’s friend. Coming from all the silliness of the first few episodes to this reality shattering twist is crazy. Can’t wait to see where we go next
Dec 1, 2022 3:05 PM

Apr 2008
Not the biggest surprise, but it is decently satisfying. The bit where they were especially insane in the beginning because they were still learning is clever, though maybe we should have skipped on the super spy and magical girl stuff if we wanted to demonstrate they were becoming more realistic. I also didn't predict them all having childhood memories because they were based on the same girl. That made it seem like they had to be real people somehow.

Some bits I'm not sure they'll explain, what's up with Asahi's memory? Why didn't he remember signing up? And how exactly does taking an Ai base mind and making a distinct AI work? Are they effectively brainwashing the copy till she thinks she's a tsundere loli like Amelia? We see their designs coloring the childhood memories after all. That's pretty messed up.

It's surprising there's still 4 episodes left. Those will really decide whether this show was worth all the nonsense.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Renai Flops Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KANLen09 - Dec 28, 2022

161 by Fansanime1234 »»
Apr 4, 2:48 AM

Poll: » Best Girl

Horn_dawg_2019 - Oct 26, 2022

29 by Yui_Suzumiya69 »»
Mar 13, 8:08 AM

Poll: » Renai Flops Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Nov 16, 2022

114 by Lolicon »»
Feb 15, 7:59 AM

» Is the dub for the uncensored BD version?

Mystogan14579 - Dec 12, 2023

6 by OtakuSociety8 »»
Feb 10, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Renai Flops Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Nov 23, 2022

124 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Feb 9, 3:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.