Forum Settings
Forums

How do you deal with polite and friendly anime haters?

New
Oct 27, 2022 5:49 AM

Jun 2011
We often bump into the loud and rude types, but then life throws a curveball at us and we meet the most articulate and affable anime dissers. What would you do? Would you let them be in their beliefs or would you try to convince them that the entire medium isn't like what they think and even recommend them titles?
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Oct 27, 2022 6:03 AM

Jan 2013
I would just assume that anyone who hates anime beyond somewhat understandable misconceptions, is braindead, so I wouldn't.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Oct 27, 2022 6:09 AM

May 2019
Politely tell them that you disagree and leave.
Oct 27, 2022 6:10 AM

Jan 2022
If they are articulate and friendly about their problems with anime as a medium, then I don't think there is any reason to get angry.

Of course, I'd try to tell them of certain anime that I think would persuade them otherwise, but I'd rather not shove it down their throat. Shoving what you love down someone else's throat, who has actively explained why they don't want it shoved down their throat, is an easy way to be an asshole.

๐˜ฃ๐˜ฐ๐˜ซ๐˜ข๐˜ค๐˜ฌ ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ฎ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ ๐˜ช๐˜ด ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฃ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด๐˜ต ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ช๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ

Oct 27, 2022 6:20 AM

Feb 2021
HorseManPerson said:
If they are articulate and friendly about their problems with anime as a medium, then I don't think there is any reason to get angry.

Of course, I'd try to tell them of certain anime that I think would persuade them otherwise, but I'd rather not shove it down their throat. Shoving what you love down someone else's throat, who has actively explained why they don't want it shoved down their throat, is an easy way to be an asshole.

Absolutely agree with your opinion. Also I respect people who can explain in details what they don't like. Honestly, we should value such people, they are in the minority unfortunately.
MemoreOct 27, 2022 6:23 AM
Oct 27, 2022 6:21 AM

Jul 2015
That's an oxymoron, bruh.
If someone can elaborate their opinion, they're no haters.

Oct 27, 2022 6:23 AM

Dec 2021
I will consider to listen what their points are. After all once I used to be one of them.
Oct 27, 2022 6:26 AM

Sep 2010
Tell them that their taste sucks and they should fuck off because you don't care.
Oct 27, 2022 6:29 AM
Aug 2021
I’d say they’re my comrades and I have nothing against them.
Oct 27, 2022 6:31 AM
โ™ก( โ€ขเฅขโ—ก-เฅข)โœงห–ยฐ โ™ก

Dec 2014
I would love to meet such person like that, I can see that person will be a nice one to hang out with :)

(ใฃโ—”โ—กโ—”)ใฃ ๐“˜ ๐”€๐“ฒ๐“ผ๐“ฑ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ ๐“ช๐“ต๐“ต ๐“ฑ๐“ช๐“ฟ๐“ฎ ๐“ช ๐”€๐“ธ๐“ท๐“ญ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฏ๐“พ๐“ต ๐“ญ๐“ช๐”‚ ♥
Oct 27, 2022 6:31 AM

Feb 2020
I would just ignore them and move on......
Oct 27, 2022 6:32 AM

Aug 2019
Haven't met someone like this yet but if I would, then i'd just listen to why they didn't like the said show and correct them if they're mistaken about something. Can't convince a person to like something they hate, after all

Oct 27, 2022 6:34 AM

Oct 2018
If they're polite and friendly, then I'd politely and friendly tell them to go fuck themselves
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Oct 27, 2022 6:36 AM

Dec 2018
Kinda obvious don't you think?

For polite and friendly people, they'll just agree to disagree and move on. For easily agitated spergs, they'll yap like a dog while the other side will simply leave. What's the mystery here?
. . .
Oct 27, 2022 6:42 AM

Oct 2010
from my experience, being polite doesn't help, here my "happening"
- some user makes a thread "explain what stuff you don't like about one piece"
- I explain politely what I don't like while being very cool headed and not using any jokes
- I receive 3 quotes: 2 insult me calling me an idiot and one says that I am a bad troll with shit taste and my fav anime are trash

in conclusion, it doesn't matter, just be sincere and deal with it
Oct 27, 2022 6:56 AM

Jul 2021
if they can give proper reason for why they are hating they can you can just be like "understandable, have a nice day" or else just ignore them. ez.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Oct 27, 2022 9:31 AM
Jan 2022
I just treat them like anyone else. I mean I'll ask them why and when they give me an answer, I'll be like "alright that's cool" and I don't question them again.
Oct 27, 2022 1:13 PM

Oct 2022
A lot of people I hang out with just don't like anime either because it isn't for them or they find problems within it that makes them unable to enjoy the medium. I think that's fair and I don't bother them about it, nobody bothers me about liking it. We just all cool with what we like.
Oct 27, 2022 1:40 PM

Aug 2020
Tell them to screw themselves, but in a polite way to the polite guy. To the rude, the same way he acts.

Oct 27, 2022 2:01 PM

Oct 2018
Well, I try to hide my existence from them so...
Oct 27, 2022 2:08 PM

Feb 2021
Pljeskavica said:
I like and respect them. They aren't getting into anime just because it's currently trendy. We need more people like them.

I absolutely agree with you! We have to respect such people!
MemoreOct 27, 2022 10:39 PM
Oct 27, 2022 2:37 PM

Oct 2021
Unless it's a close friend, I don't have time to deal with it. All I'll say is "You never know until you try", recommend them a title or two, and either leave or talk about something else.

โŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏ

Don't try and get me to cook
I can take care of anything
else but not that

โŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏโŽฏ

Oct 27, 2022 2:57 PM

Jan 2009
those people are a breath of fresh air to interact with so i do not see anything wrong with them at all
Oct 27, 2022 3:17 PM

Jul 2017
I guess that would largely depend on what they’re dissing, what they’re specifically saying, and who they’re talking to.

As long as they’re not hurling personal insults and ad-hominem arguments at people, and they’re only directing their hate towards anime, then I’ll likely just leave them be and let them hate anime. I have nothing against people who don’t enjoy anime.
Oct 27, 2022 3:33 PM
Oct 2019
I don’t deal with them usually, I might try to engage with them they are willing, but if that’s the case they aren’t “haters” they are just people who don’t understand it. If they HATE it, they wouldn’t be talking to me ๐Ÿ˜†
Oct 27, 2022 3:43 PM

Sep 2016
Can you at least fking leave alone polite and friendly people? If they don't like something, stop pushing your agenda down their throat and leave them alone instead of lOoKiNg fOr a WaY tO DEAL WITH THEM. And you created a post about it. What is the problem with you?
RinkashikachiOct 27, 2022 4:01 PM

Oct 27, 2022 3:53 PM

May 2012
If this is a conversation that is directly addressed to me, as an anime fan, I will refute it on many points if necessary.
And of course I would ask him if he saw some "classic" examples.
And if he doesn't like it and he has his own opinion, you'll just listen to him and talk nothing more I think.

And then good throughout my schooling, when I was there, I met more people who knew nothing or a little about it.
They were even surprised when I told them that I was watching anime later.

Then again it depends on where you are.

Oct 27, 2022 8:29 PM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
I love dealing with these people.. I specialize in insulting under the guise of compliments

Oct 27, 2022 8:41 PM

Aug 2022
There will be a debate if i lose there will be a dead bodybest mal suggestion ever - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=2047945
Oct 27, 2022 8:50 PM
Jul 2018
there are also polite haters who say big words and write long ass essays on why they dislike something and still aren't concise and articulate...
Oct 27, 2022 9:23 PM

Oct 2016
I just ignore it, I try not to bring up the subject with people like that and not give reasons to start a meaningless discussion, for example I recently haven't liked the direction that mob psycho has been taking, but if I say this on one of my discord channels it would start a shower of insults for me, so I avoid giving this opinion there and I say in other places that this problem will not occur.

Oct 27, 2022 9:24 PM

Jun 2020
If it's rude hater or the polite hater, I won't tell them anything. I will listen to their argument if it just pure hate then I won't and even if I feel they are wrong, I won't tell them anything.
After that I will move on with my life.
Oct 27, 2022 9:40 PM

Oct 2008
I'd hear them out and say "I understand, but disagree" and leave.
Oct 27, 2022 9:59 PM
I love femboys.

Sep 2022
Memore said:
Pljeskavica said:
I like and respect them. They aren't getting into anime just because it's currently trendy. We need more people like them.

I absolutely agree wirh you! We have to respect such people!

90-95% of the time, they guised their long "meaningful arguments" as a way to act superior to others in their anime taste lol.
๐™Š๐™ฃ๐™š ๐™‹๐™ž๐™š๐™˜๐™š ๐™ฅ๐™–๐™˜๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™ž๐™จ ๐™ฅ๐™š๐™ง๐™›๐™š๐™˜๐™ฉ๐™ก๐™ฎ ๐™›๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™š. - ๐™•๐™–๐™˜๐™
Oct 27, 2022 10:03 PM
I love femboys.

Sep 2022
Ahegyao said:
We often bump into the loud and rude types, but then life throws a curveball at us and we meet the most articulate and affable anime dissers. What would you do? Would you let them be in their beliefs or would you try to convince them that the entire medium isn't like what they think and even recommend them titles?

I wouldn't because it would be a waste of time, especially if their MAL score is below 7 which either means 1. they take anime too seriously or 2. they are elitists.

I just don't understand the point of watching a medium if you don't enjoy most of the content in that medium.
GoatPieceLuffyOct 28, 2022 1:14 AM
๐™Š๐™ฃ๐™š ๐™‹๐™ž๐™š๐™˜๐™š ๐™ฅ๐™–๐™˜๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™œ ๐™ž๐™จ ๐™ฅ๐™š๐™ง๐™›๐™š๐™˜๐™ฉ๐™ก๐™ฎ ๐™›๐™ž๐™ฃ๐™š. - ๐™•๐™–๐™˜๐™
Oct 27, 2022 11:32 PM

Jan 2018
I'd be willing to learn about what they enjoy in life. some people really just enjoy being around others, instead of doing indoor activities.
Oct 27, 2022 11:42 PM
May 2019
You don't deal with haters,you ignored and block them
Oct 28, 2022 4:03 AM

Oct 2017
If people keep things civil so will I. Ultimately I wouldn't really say anything as long as they aren't insulting me personally or making some wide sweeping untrue generalization that is factually wrong (anime is just full of sex pest stuff) and even then they have to be willing to hear an alternate view point.

Otherwise don't bother there gets to a point where there isn't much worth in conversation. 95% of conversations online and even to some degree IRL are just screaming into the wind. You aren't going to usually change some ingrained bias if you just sit down with the dude unless there is some open mindedness otherwise just agree to disagree and move on.
BilboBaggins365Oct 28, 2022 4:07 AM

More topics from this board

» List of canceled anime.

ZXEAN - Yesterday

34 by ZXEAN »»
44 seconds ago

» what kind of fashion

arhttr - 22 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
20 minutes ago

Poll: » are mal reviews full of destructive criticism or constructive criticism?

deg - May 3

26 by oappo »»
36 minutes ago

» Anime tropes you want to see more of

ST63LTH - 3 hours ago

11 by Anjuro »»
45 minutes ago

» Which of your favorite anime actually has the most interesting story?

WatchTillTandava - 6 hours ago

14 by TRC_Randy »»
49 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.