Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 3, 2022 8:10 AM

Sep 2017
Lmao reads one shoujo manga: wants to become typically shoujo manga girl. Yeah that didn't work out as planned.
Jul 3, 2022 8:59 AM

Mar 2010
This got 100x better with her bro in the picture, and they are just burning unnecessary oil with the whole bad luck trope.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jul 3, 2022 9:02 AM

Aug 2017
Wow holy shit a normal sibling dynamic without weird ass incestous thoughts

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Jul 3, 2022 9:06 AM
Jul 2018
Our main character's brother reminds me a lot of Natsu from Fairy Tail. I mean his appearance.
Jul 3, 2022 9:54 AM
Sep 2021
It was a good episode, saw more past bits of izumi&shikimori their personality and how they met together for the first time, nice to see more of shikimori's family and shikimori is going to hang out with Izumi for this finale. Looks pretty decent for the ending.
I give this episode 6/10.
Jul 3, 2022 10:48 AM
Nov 2020
I am so glad I stuck with this show. The last few episodes have been so good.
Jul 3, 2022 12:02 PM
Oct 2018
Good to see the backstory, but it was jumbled up, time skipping everywhere, and a little confusing. Plus why is the backstory the 2nd to the last episode? The 2nd to last ep usually sets up some drama to be resolved in the final ep.

I’m still supporting the show but it’s not as good as I originally thought it would be. 3/5 for the ep.

Jul 3, 2022 12:18 PM

Jan 2021
dlee2040 said:
I'm going to be completely honest as a manga reader.

I do not remember over half of these scenes being in the manga, even considering all the untranslated chapters.

I absolutely despise a lot of the anime original content presented in this episode. It not only completely butchers Shikimori's entire character arc, it betrays a lot of the central themes presented in the manga.

Adapting chapter 95.5 (a snippet of Izumi's backstory) made absolutely no sense in the context of this episode. I also hated how they tried turning Shikimori into a girly girl. Considering this manga is largely about role reversal, it just makes Shikimori's relationship with Izumi a lot more unbelievable. This episode made Shikimori feel even more generic than she already was in the manga.
I haven't read the manga, but to be quite honest, you can see her character jsut by reading th title. Shikimori is a character that shows that you can be "cool," for lack of a better word, while still hitting the ball out of the park with being cute, pretty, and a "girly girl." I see it as less of a role reversal, and more as a way to show that you can have both.

As for her relationship with Izumi, this episode kind of showed me that they both kind of rely on each other to be the person they want to be: Shikimori's relationship with Izumi allows her to change through love like she wanted to, and she gets to be a "normal" girl like she wanted. Izumi's relationship with Shikimori gives him a reason to not totally submit himself to his bad luck, and it is clearly obvious that he has been able to push himself through it a lot easier thanks to Shikimori. I didn't really like Izumi at first either, but he has grown on me.

All this aside, how does both Izumi and Shikimori have hot moms

Jul 3, 2022 4:50 PM

Jan 2019
Wish they'd release the soundtrack already.

Jul 3, 2022 6:12 PM
Feb 2021
There siblings relationship is so cute and Shikimori brother was really supportive of her. Wish we could get more of him and finally some back story on how Shikimori and Izumi met and their first encounter was way hilarious.
Jul 3, 2022 7:28 PM

Jul 2016
I really like Shikimori's brother. He's a nice dude and his interactions with his younger sister felt pretty realistic. Him buying the lipstick for her was super wholesome too.
Jul 3, 2022 8:26 PM
Mar 2021
What a good background information on both of them.
Jul 3, 2022 8:52 PM

Apr 2022
Storm1988 said:
Was this entire backstory part for Shikimori anime original? I don't remember that at all from the manga.

Just different storytelling. There was a girl in the manga who told shikimori's past. But the interaction with his brother is kinda original ig, I can't remember that chapter
To toxic fans: Atleast wait for an anime season to end before you go on tantrum.
Jul 4, 2022 4:57 AM
Oct 2019
Yess this is what I'm waiting for.
Finally we got Shikimori backstory.

Adding more depth to Shikimori as a Character.
Also Shikimori and her brother relationship.
What a good episode.

So the finale gonna be the Date, I can't wait...
Jul 4, 2022 7:21 AM
May 2021
I know some people are complaining that Izumi's bad luck syndrome doesn't get explained. But how much of it is explainable? Some people just encounter more bad luck than usual for whatever reason. It's clear that not a lot of it is Izumi's fault either.

Even if we demand an explanation, the closest thing I can think of (as someone well-versed with medicine and biochemistry) is just some mental condition that causes him to have reduced coordination compared with everyone else. I'm not sure how that alone could demand an in-depth backstory into his bad luck for an anime.

If anyone's played the Ace Attorney games, Maggey Byrde is a perfect example of someone who just suffers from bad luck for no explainable reason.

As for me, I thought the episode was a 4/5. Yes it felt really strange that Izumi's brief backstory was added at the start and then brushed off. But Shikimori's story was still cute and in line as a commentary into a culture of being an idol or being cute.
MightyputtyJul 4, 2022 7:25 AM
Jul 4, 2022 8:29 AM
Aug 2020
IxiaoI said:
Storm1988 said:
Was this entire backstory part for Shikimori anime original? I don't remember that at all from the manga.

Just different storytelling. There was a girl in the manga who told shikimori's past. But the interaction with his brother is kinda original ig, I can't remember that chapter

I definitely remember the space umbrella.
Jul 4, 2022 11:16 AM

May 2018
Shikimori's family is so nice UwU
Jul 4, 2022 12:57 PM
Jan 2022
Alrighty Shikimori backstory! Nice to see Shikimori's brother Fuji get some more screen time, despite how short it is, its still really nice
Jul 4, 2022 1:02 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Great to see their backstories especially Shikimori when she was young with short hair and doing karate, it was a long way for her to become more girlish and cute but now she's her how she wanted to be I believe, thought I wonder how she would look with short hair nowadays
Jul 4, 2022 1:10 PM

Nov 2012
This anime gets way too many members watching it, compared to some other, better in my opinion shows like Machikado Mazoku season 2 or Kunoichi Tsubaki no Mune no Uchi.

And before someone writes that I would probably like if the roles were reversed, I assure you that I 100% wouldn't like it as well. I even read the manga, but got bored with it. This just gets repetitive and boring.
CoxphireJul 4, 2022 1:14 PM
Jul 4, 2022 9:49 PM

May 2017
🥺🥺 can't wait until the date ep, our finale. this one was very cute. glad we finally got some backstory to their relationship 🙄 Shikimori is very adorable, and we also got to see her brother and their relationship, cute
Jul 5, 2022 12:15 AM

Dec 2020
MORE OF SHIKIMORI BROTHERS' FOCUS !!!!!! A FUCKING WIN FOR MEEEEEE. god he is soooooo ..! twirls hair

but i liked the snippets of shikimori's pre highschool life. her getting into shoujo was soo so cute literlaly me in preschool 😭😭

wonder how they're gonna end this
Jul 5, 2022 5:41 AM

Jan 2017
Nice,
a brother helping a sister in getting laid...
(⁠☞⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠)⁠☞ YouTube @ The Pirate Collector ԅ⁠(⁠ ͒⁠ ⁠۝ ͒⁠ ⁠)⁠ᕤ
Jul 5, 2022 1:36 PM

Jan 2022
I'm not sure why the rating is so low on this episode. This is literally the first episode I've actually enjoyed. I feel like Izumi is experiencing 100 ways to die. He's such a weakling but I kind of sympathize with him after watching this episode. It's about time we got to learn about Shikimori and her background. I feel like it took too long to get a proper introduction.
This never updates so that's cool
Jul 5, 2022 7:02 PM

Dec 2019
The What...
30k dropped
Jul 9, 2022 3:30 AM

Aug 2018
And so Izumi and Shikimori met, curious.
Shikimori's past, she practiced karate but then wanted to achieve something different, all thanks to manga xd. But well, if she could achieve it, but a bit different than what she thought xD.
She looked adorable as a little girl with short hair.
Well, let's see how their date will go in the next and last episode.

Jul 9, 2022 10:13 AM

Jun 2014
As much as this show uses Izumi's bad luck as comedic relief, the beginning of this episode really shows how depressing things can get for him when he has to sacrifice fun opportunities to avoid bringing misfortune to those around him.

Shikimori's backstory was decent, she really got motivation to become a cutie from reading manga lol. It was also nice to see how she and Izumi first met.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jul 9, 2022 8:33 PM

Jun 2020
Shikimori's relation with her brother, its really wholesome aaaa
Jul 10, 2022 10:31 AM

Jan 2020
This was a pretty interesting episode, seeing how Izumi and Shikimori came up through middle school. Though, I am a bit disappointed that Shikimori's dream was to become a "cute girl." I feel like that backpedals a bit on the overall message that anime has been presenting so far. I mean, I suppose in a way it's fine, as it's not like she's compromised herself at all. Or, at the very least, it doesn't seem like she has. But, I just don't think there's any reason why she couldn't be cute and a karate master.

Also, I'm guessing Izumi and Shikimori haven't kissed yet? Even though they've been dating for over a year? That's balls-to-the-wall nuts.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Jul 15, 2022 10:17 PM

Jun 2020
I was so glad Shikimori was making that face and then her brother was on scene I'm always expecting some interesting shit from those siblings

So some manga reader bros mentioned this isn't part of the manga and I can see why people didn't like it much it presents to me as just another flashback or reason why she is today but I don't really mind that much

But she was cute even from the start and since her high school debut, Now it's time for the season's last episode I don't have high hopes but don't make it dull and it's all good.
Jul 22, 2022 6:21 AM

Feb 2021
So this episode is the backstory of how the main character becomes like this...

They are really destined :)
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jul 22, 2022 7:40 PM

Sep 2018
The big brother is so handsome!!! ahhhhh
Aug 16, 2022 8:35 PM

Aug 2019
Finally the reveal about how Shikimori and Izumi met, as well as the moment Shikimori fell for him which ngl i all 100% thought was gonna be this big flashback reveal with some dramatic scenes and story telling, turned out really really average lmao. We've already seen some of Izumi's backstory in previous episode, and ngl its become really really easy to sum his character up even without backstory, so really nothing new was shown except how he met Shikimori.

I will say i enjoyed the Shikimori back story focused part. Seems she looked up to her brother a lot and followed in his foot steps, which he recognised and i guess besides all the usual harsh remarks siblings give one another, he decided to give her some genuine words of advice to go her own route and do things she likes, which ultimately led to her now.

Shout out to Fuji Shikimori, all my homies respect a bigger brother like Fuji.
Aug 19, 2022 3:46 AM

Jan 2021
Her brother is cute and shy. Shikimori is cute and cool. Good backstory and good episode.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Sep 5, 2022 1:37 PM
May 2021
Her brother is probably the most compelling character. Glad the episode had a heavy focus on him.
Sep 21, 2022 10:28 AM
Aug 2021
Epitome of mid, waste of time
Sep 25, 2022 7:13 PM
May 2022
HER BROTHERR AJBSIUAPSIHAOISH
Sep 27, 2022 4:56 AM

Oct 2021
Storm1988 said:
dlee2040 said:
Adapting chapter 95.5 (a snippet of Izumi's backstory) made absolutely no sense in the context of this episode.

I'd really like to get some more background information on the production of this show in the future. You can't blame covid for everything.

What are you talking about? Apart from this episode, it has pretty much been a standard faithful adaptation of the manga, and most people's issues with it is the general story and characters itself (originating from the manga). Not sure how "production issues" are to blame when that has nothing to do with anything.
Sep 28, 2022 3:16 AM

Oct 2021
Ok Shikimori’s mom has to be the most serious-looking person I’ve ever seen.
Oct 10, 2022 5:44 PM
Oct 2022
The anime is fine but a little bit boring so I skipped parts and even whole episodes, not that good but enjoyable I guess.
Dec 17, 2022 11:01 PM

Aug 2022
A viewpoint from Shikimori's past. Very well-detailed, bringing the character in focus on the relationship with her brother. Who knew she was a shoujo buff? Her brother gets a lot of air-time. Another great episode.
Nocturne12Dec 17, 2022 11:04 PM
Mar 6, 2023 8:26 AM

Dec 2018
A good episode of the main characters younger flashback. Shikimori decided to become a girly girl just because of shoujo manga. Lol.
Wow, Shikimori mother look sexy and her deep voice~

Izumi bad luck before meeting Shikimori is really scary, guess his wish toward his god is fulfill~ He got his lucky strong girlfriend hero(in).

Mar 20, 2023 1:57 AM

Jul 2019
Shikimori's mom is hot. Just saying.

It was nice seeing a bit of Micchon's backstory, lacking individuality and what not.
Mar 30, 2023 5:01 AM

Jun 2019
Ngl... Tomboy Shikimori was cute. Got a nice backstory on Shikimori's childhood and her brother who's such a cool brother. Loved seeing it. Ijumi charmed Shikimori on the second meet. Not bad.
Apr 2, 2023 12:29 AM

Oct 2020
Backstory was interesting and it was nice that Izumi kind of showed her that being strong doesn't mean she isn't feminine.
Although I will say that it was kind of odd when she said she was losing weight in her backstory to "become cute" despite already looking like a paperclip 
May 14, 2023 9:45 PM
Jan 2023
Jun 15, 2023 10:08 AM
Jun 2023
Really good.
hopefully there's a season 2
cheers for the creators of the anime Kawai Dake Ja Nai Shikimori - San.
Jul 16, 2023 3:32 AM

Apr 2013
So we get some backstory. I still don't get why the author had to give Izumi such an unnatural misfortune, it makes him even more annoying.
Jul 31, 2023 6:42 AM
May 2023
how the two met was so cute
and I love Fuji even more now and how he's a tsundere.

sum: Shikimori goes to buy clothing with Fuji for a date with Izumi and Fuji calls her manly and we get a flash back of her when she was younger and reading a romance manga and wanting to become a cute girl in the future and date a guy. Fuji also tells her that he's going to the bathroom but buys her a lipstick she was looking at but didn't end up buying.
Aug 13, 2023 12:28 AM
Jul 2023
We get too se da first meeting is was nice n shit
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2022

351 by HollowP03 »»
Apr 16, 10:55 AM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 9, 2022

223 by Treyv0n »»
Mar 31, 3:49 PM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2022

116 by Treyv0n »»
Mar 30, 1:03 PM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2022

98 by Treyv0n »»
Mar 30, 11:58 AM

Poll: » Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 4, 2022

173 by Treyv0n »»
Mar 30, 10:56 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.