Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 4, 2023 10:53 AM

Nov 2020
Overall not a bad movie!

It was nice to see old charachters fighting together once again! I think that Gohan's new form is looking incredible!
Sorry for my english xD!

RIP Kentaro Miura :(
RIP Akira Toriyama :(

Jan 8, 2023 5:31 AM

Jun 2020
Pretty good movie with some really good CGI and fights that were entertaining 

Jan 18, 2023 3:51 AM
May 2014
Didn't like neither the cgi nor the story
Jan 20, 2023 5:16 AM
Jun 2020
The movie was kind of dumb ngl (coming from a DBZ fan for over a decade). It reminded me of those Disney movies, where everyone - the "good guys" and the "bad guys" - become "friends" in the "happy ending". That said, Gohan's new transformation made it more than worth a watch.
Feb 8, 2023 11:39 AM

Jul 2015
Pan is freaking adorable. Overall may not have been as good as the Broly movie but still fairly entertaining and goofy especially with Piccolo taking the lead instead of Goku and Vegeta.
On a sidenote, I certainly did not expect Beerus reaction to seeing Cheelai.

Feb 14, 2023 8:26 AM

Nov 2010
I love the recap scenes. I wish they remake the original Dragon Ball & Z with those newer and cleaner animations. Not the ones they used in Super.
3:51 Damn, I played Dragon Ball Fighterz, but I ended up skipping the story. I didn't know Android 21 was Dr. Gero's waifu. Wow, Android 16 was his son too. Did they mention that in Z? I forgot if they did.
Awesome movie! I'm a sucker for big explosions and superpowers, so I enjoyed it. I'm also happy to see screen time for Piccolo & Gohan. Their new forms looked badass, especially Gohan Beast. I initially thought that was UI. I'm a bit disappointed with Cell Max, though. He's just a massive monster in berserk mode. I was hoping to see Perfect Cell again achieving some sort of power-up via a badass transformation by consuming the Gamma androids. I also wish they used the animations in Broly instead. One last thing, I'm also disappointed we couldn't see older Gotenks. 8/10
Mar 5, 2023 2:55 AM

Aug 2012
Ever since Dragon Ball returned to making movies with Battle of Gods, they've been incorporating snippets of CGI action, and those moments have always been the worst looking part of those films. Like, they're the caveats I have to give when I say these movies look awesome. So upon learning that Super Hero was going to be entirely CGI, I was pretty worried to say the least. And the trailers weren't exactly disarming, but thankfully, the CGI here was, mostly, good. The "mostly" comes because, I think Goku & Vegeta looked terrible here. I don't know if I can explain it properly, maybe they were shaded too much or something, but that looked so off compared to the rest of the film, or at least the rest of the stuff not on Beerus' planet. I don't know, it felt more like a video game cutscene with them than a movie. Somebody else mentioned in here that it looked at it's worse on Beerus' planet, so at least I'm not alone in thinking there's a noticeable dip in quality during those scenes, even I can't properly articulate what that is.

Beyond those scenes, the movie look good, sometimes excellent even. A lot of people clown on the decision to make Cell Max nothing more than a mindless kaiju, but I feel like this was a decision made to best utilize the new animation and I feel it paid off in that regard. Because the biggest benefit to CGI in an action series is being able to showcase a full 3D battlefield in one swooping motion without cuts. Most of the best looking moments come from this battle, because we're allowed to see multiple characters fly around in this 3D space around Cell Max all blasting him. It presents cool visuals that really couldn't be captured in traditional 2D animation, least not to the same extent. I suppose he doesn't need to be mindless for that per se, but honestly, I don't think there's any need for him to have a character. He worked effectively at being a believable world-ending threat & facilitator of great 3D animation, I don't see much point in trying to clutter this film with also establishing Cell Max with a personality to contend with. Granted, I get why you'd want your villains with more personality, and I do consider Cell Max one of the weaker movie villains but he still served his role & I think the movie had a comfortable runtime, so I don't have an issue with them using him solely for those fundamental purposes. Besides, the film provided us with the Gamma's who help carry the weight.

Last thing I'll say about the animation is that I do prefer more traditional 2D animation, and I still consider Broly to be the best looking movie. I really don't want them to continue on their CGI trajectory, but I'm glad they did it for this movie, I think it benefits the movie, and part of that benefit is that it's unique to this film.

As for the movie outside the animation, it's mostly fun. I do have my problems which I'll start with. Some of them are basically minor quibbles, it irritates me that they showed Goten & Trunks doing the fusion dance proper at the end but don't bother to show us a slightly taller Gotenks. And also, they made Trunks hair blue but fat Gotenks still had the purple hair? & speaking of hair, why does Gohan's hair turn white? I hear this Blanco thing a lot but I don't know what that is, but white's already strongly associated with Ultra Instinct, which is achieved through like calm/steady emotional control as opposed to Gohan's which is like blind rage. Which segues nicely into the first actual problem I have that's not just a petty little nitpick, being that I really don't like either Gohan or Piccolo's new transformation. Firstly, neither of them felt particularly earned. I mean, Piccolo's explicitly wasn't, he just wished it for it. Leading to his transformation moment feeling like a pretty anti-climatic & cheap conclusion to the fight with Gamma 2. Shenron's "Bit extra" line wasn't a good enough seed to make this moment a good payoff. Gohan's was better handled in the sense that Gohan's lack of training & potential top power was a throughline throughout the film, but it largely felt perfunctory. I'm glad he got this moment, but it does largely just feel like a re-hash of Super Saiyan 2 plot beats, which robs it of it's power.

Also, the designs of the new form are just too silly imo. Especially since both these transformations come during these dramatic moments, it's off-putting how Gigachad Orange Piccolo is or how much hair Gohan is given. I don't really like how either of these look. But design-wise, I think the Gamma's have a great design at least. The Gamma's were a highlight in general for me. Sticking with the negativity first, the movie had a lot of internal callbacks, most of which didn't work for me. Pan's learning to fly was fine but didn't really have any impact on me considering relatively how brief that struggle was presented in the opening moments. Hedo's skin and surviving the bullets from Magenta was so blatantly obvious it didn't really work for me. But Gamma 2's "you didn't check" on Gamma 1 was a solid moment, it highlighted Gamma 2's character growth and managed to pack a bit of an emotional punch.

And speaking of emotional punches, I'm actually impressed that they legitimately killed off Gamma 2. Dragon Ball is well-known for not really committing to anyone's death, and that's gotten even worse in Super, for an example I'm a fan of, see Frieza returning to the series. But I was totally ready for them to undermine Gamma 2's heroic sacrifice by making it not actually be a sacrifice but nope, dude straight up dies. Guess the only way to truly die in this series is to be an Android. 

I also loved that he had like hologram sound effects for his first fight, that was one of the best gags in the movie, though that's not a high bar to climb. This movie's humour mostly missed for me. The only other jokes off the top of my head that did work for me were Carmine's car having an extra roof for his pompadour, some of the callbacks, horny Beerus, Piccolo's interaction with that RR Army Guy 15, and Fat Gotenks being bounced around by everyone until he hit the head. Thankfully most of the misses were just there, I think Gotenks pants ripping was the only attempt that detracted but since Battle of Gods, this was likely the Dragon Ball movie I laughed the least during, maybe not Resurrection 'F', which is not what I was expecting. I thought this would be the funniest, so that was disappointing, but at least it was one of the most wholesome Dragon Ball experience.

Those aforementioned callbacks were a real treat though, I loved seeing Piccolo going giant again, and having him do that due to a humorous interaction with Krillin was the icing on the cake. But the highlight of the entire movie was definitely Piccolo's line "I never got my driver's license", I never expected that stupid filler episode would ever get refenced in canon, and I love that so much. That's the best DBZ episode, and it's canon now I don't care what anyone says. That is amazing.

Post-credits were also nice. Justified how long we stayed on Beerus' planet, because honestly, during the spar between Goku & Vegeta earlier in the film I was annoyed that the movie was wasting so much time here instead of on Piccolo. We didn't need to see as much as the Goku/Vegeta fight as we did regardless, but at least it had a good payoff. A bit funny since I'm, at least on-screen, Vegeta is actually technically undefeated against Goku in battle, but I'll gladly take any Vegeta W's I can get, as he doesn't get them a whole lot.

Overall, a fun movie. Don't think it matches the level of either Battle of Gods or Broly, but it's definitely better than Resurrection 'F'. 7/10.
TerrestriousMar 26, 2:21 AM
Mar 5, 2023 6:47 PM

Jun 2009
The long wait for the dub was worth it. I love that the focus was on Gohan and the Z-Senshi for once. 
Mar 13, 2023 11:21 AM
Aug 2020
Fantastic movie overall!
The nostalgia and new stuff were fantastic!!!
Mar 17, 2023 11:50 PM

May 2020
pretty good movie
it was nice seeing everyone grow up, especially pan, trunks and goten
this movie would have been 5 min long if they had just used the dragon balls to call goku and vegeta smh
good to see Broly and the others doing well aswell
Homura24Mar 17, 2023 11:55 PM

Mar 28, 2023 4:52 PM

Aug 2011
Eh this movie was so mid only good parts the bulma and 18 booty and picoolo shenanigan's
Apr 6, 2023 1:15 AM

Oct 2010
Very cool, definitely one of the best DB movies
Apr 17, 2023 9:20 AM

Apr 2019
Movie is a bit wack. We got gohan beast and orange piccolo but it doesnt really show how cool the forms are. They only show it once
Apr 23, 2023 3:50 AM
Jul 2022
not bad. new gohan was sick
Apr 28, 2023 7:38 PM

Dec 2018
stupid, but really nice. i feel like it was a shoutout to certain fans and that's okay. some callbacks and some interesting development with goten and trunks but i feel like we regressed a bit with krillin and gohan. oh also i never really cared for gohan and i don't understand what happened at the end there and i also feel it's super corny to have him beat "cell" again but like, couldn't whis sense what was going on? or at least goku? i also don't like everyone just chuckling and getting along after the second android literally gave his life for them. the cgi was a bit uncomfortable. it was nice vegeta got a W at the end against kakarot there. i guess since dragon ball and dragon ball z frieza saga it's mostly just become guilty fun and that's okay too since the character development kind of makes up for the horrible plot holes and campy lines.

one more thing: gohans use of special beam cannon is in my view a parallel to his kamehameha from cell saga; one was to avenge his father and the other his mentor. i might be wrong but i appreciate it as a thought and it's a nice thing.
StateofOhayoApr 28, 2023 7:57 PM
Apr 29, 2023 6:52 PM
Mar 2023
A new and very good type of animation, it show us the evolution of Toei in terms of animations. Finally they gave the protagonist to Picollo and Gohan, along whit new tranformations, very good ones. And as always the figths were 10/10, even if he had much less time screen for Beast Gohan.
May 7, 2023 5:35 PM

Feb 2022
So Gohan is carrying on the tradition of being an absent father to the point he has to get scolded by Piccolo lol. Also I don't know why they chose to bring cell back in such a cringe way... I thought they learned their lesson from creating bio Broly. Piccolo dedicates his entire life to training and is forced into a situation where he has to cheat to get powerful... cool guess he was wasting his time all these years, not sure why they couldn't have had his potential naturally come out would have made more sense for his character. Also the "upgrade" to shenron is lame, just sprinkle some holy water and bam... what is with the writing man, compared to the past movies this one really misses a lot for me. Like I don't like the cgi but I could ignore it if they made a good story with interesting new villains but we get bio broly 2. I always like Gohan too but talk about undeserved power.
DroebieMay 7, 2023 5:39 PM
May 7, 2023 9:51 PM
Oct 2022
The Cell Was Unexpected And Nice To See Piccolo Getting Some Attention.
May 9, 2023 2:18 PM

Sep 2014
There is a lot to unpack here.. First things first, the movie was not bad.
It was not great and very much plays into Supers SoLish "does this need to exist?" vibe and usually I hate CGI but here? It looks so much like the games I cant really be mad, it could have certainly looked a lot worse. It obviously does not come close to Zs 90s style but the time is just different now. (seriously though tell me the one shot of Dr Genos hand materializing in the flashback does not look better than anything in this movie). Will I watch it again? Probably not. Do I feel like I wasted my time? Not really.

I very much had "Gohan is a wimp" on my bingo card, I did not have "Beerus is a simp" on it though!
So Broly is just hanging out on Beerus planet, is this going anywhere? Is the manga continuing this?
Something about this movie feels so much like in the middle of 2 bigger arcs that its hard to believe super has been over for half a decade now. So just for that Im glad this movie exsists at all.

Seeing 18 and Kuririn watch out for each other just never gets old! And Bulma, the secret leader of their shadow organization, using the dragonballs for beauty definitely checks out.

Piccolo just casually flying up to get some senzu beans and to god/dende reminded me, back then you actually had to climb! Somehow this has been a thing in Z, but here in Super it really just feels even more like we are in the "fanservice" part of the franchise.

Remember when people had to train to get stronger? Now we literally just ask Shenlong for powerups..
Orange Piccolo, Golden Frieza, Grey Gohan, Red and Blue SSJ gods.. hard to imagine the super saiyajin transformations ever feeling impactfull.

But its hard to get mad when the movie clearly does not try to take itself serious, thats why I called Super SoL "fanservice" earlier.

I guess Im just glad the franchise is still going, even if its in a non serious way like this.

Good thing the final boss was just Cell Max, not Cell Max Pro Plus Ultra. Eh Mr. Satan would have taken care of it.

Seeing Piccolo playing grandpa for Pan and getting proud when Gohan uses his special attack just feels nice. Gohan needing his glasses not just for styles.. not so nice.

I do wonder where this franchise is going from here now? I for one very much want to rewatch DBZ after seeing the gang in action again.
I cant believe Im saying this but seeing Pan learn to fly makes me want to rewatch GT as well. Ugh.

PS: Seeing 16 getting confirmed to be Geros son.. the pain. I dont really care for all the random stuff in super but even small throwbacks like this to DBZ still manage to evoke some feelings.
Comander-07May 9, 2023 2:24 PM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
May 13, 2023 5:25 AM
Aug 2018
The biggest mystery is... how can one guy can create cyborg so strong by using earth material and energy ? Also, why do they keep creating them without even bothering to check the actual power level of the opponents they are supposed to fight ? I mean, they are using probably billion to create cyborg but they were barely aware that Gohan had a daughter and they didn't even assume that she would be stronger than a regular human even if she is 3.
It's also really "interesting" how the RR army think that normal human with regular gun can be useful... even worst, the bad guy think it would be interesting to "see up-close" the fight with Gohan.
The only reason this scene with the RR army awaiting for Gohan exist is for the trailer... but it just doesn't make sense.
Same with Bulma just staying there with Max Cell and basically having the same reaction to the power of Max Cell than krilin.

But, anyway,

While the move was not bad, it was not great either. Most of the stuff we saw was a downgrade version of what we have already seen before.
For instance, the makankosappo with someone holding the opponent.... Sure but it was 100* more important against Raditz (because Picollo didn't die),

Gohan getting a new form... Sure, but it was 100* more important against Perfect Cell (because, again, no one is dead and also against perfect cell, goku action has established the potential of Gohan to be the strongest, not just Picollo saying I know you can be the strongest when every single moment prior to this was making fun of Gohan, such as him not being able to catch a senzu, not training, not sensing Picollo Ki... you can't compare the situation, so, in this movie, getting a new form doesn't work). 

Even the "joke" with Bulma using Shenron to improve her appearance was already done in the prior movie,

Then, we have the worst power-up of all time, by asking to Shenron. Not only that, but he got powered-up twice (a bonus they say).

It's 2023 guys, going from beaten up to "oh now that I shouted once, you can't even hurt me", doesn't work. Again, they try to have the same scene than Awakened Gohan vs Super Buu and Awakened Gohan vs Max Cell (hopefully the last time I use this nickname in my life). But, again, it doesn't work in the movie, because, there is no training in the movie to get to the awakened state, while in the Buu saga, not only Gohan loose against Buu and was almost dead, then had to train for a long time while his own little brother had to fight against an even stronger enemy (by using fusion sure), but here, he doesn't lose, just get a random power-up and then say "Is that all you got" ?

Again, it's 2023, you can't use the same concept than 20 years ago, doing it ten time worse, and say "oh, nostalgia, it should work".

Anyway, I don't really understand what the movie is trying to achieve. It's obviously a kid movie, focusing on Pan, no blood, villain are superheroes, but then they go with Red Cell who is just fighting people for no reason (they don't even understand why people liked cell in the first place, imagine if an actual intelligent perfect cell would have appeared instead of a weird CGI Monster having nothing to do with Cell except the name). 

I don't really like how they keep making fun of Krilin / Trunks and Goten. 
I didn't even notice a single good OST. 

On the positive stuff :
Pan was cute (the fact she has the exact same voice as her mother is kinda weird though), I also like her relation with Piccolo (I suppose Gohan is following Goku by letting his child education to a Namekian). 
Cheelai/Beerus was also cute, 
Seeing Goku/Vegeta/Broly training was something I would have never expected, too bad, we don't actually see Broly train,

Movie could have been much better if there was an actual villain, if they gave Gotenks some time to shine, and if the power-up was a result of training or a new technique.
Just for fun :
If it's that easy to create android, why Bulma never created one ? 
If the two Gamma have limited energy, how much energy would it take to re-charge them ? (Not very eco-friendly I suppose). 

Rukodaime91May 13, 2023 5:29 AM
May 13, 2023 8:50 AM

Jul 2017
It's a really great movie. It has good animation, lots of action (and comedy!) scenes, a decent plot, and it's a movie where neither Goku or Vegeta are present, at least for a lot of time. I also love the fact that they're finally giving Piccolo not one, but TWO transformations, which gives him a boost to be more up-to-date with the rest of the cast.
May 13, 2023 9:44 AM

Dec 2012
As usual this DB movie is a good time. There’s nothing particularly outstanding here, but the new characters are cute and the story has some fun moments. (Gohan using Special beam cannon)
Not a big fan of the CG, it works alright for the fights but stands out during the slower scenes. Rather they used the animation style we saw during the young Goku flashback. The power ups looked like those turn of the century internet fan art if you ask me. And Gohan going from untrained to ‘stronger than ever’ without any buildup wasn’t too gripping.
Jul 3, 2023 11:40 PM
Aug 2021
It would have benn much better with dbs:brolys animation but it was good anyways
Jul 14, 2023 10:19 PM
Community Mod
Undead

Mar 2022
I liked this movie way more than I thought I would!! I liked it even more than Broly. CGI was not bad at all; no complaints from me.

I'm so glad Piccolo is finally back in action! I love him. This was unexpected, but I really liked Gamma 1 and 2. I'm pretty upset that Gamma 2 is gone, but at least Gamma 1 is alive.

My only problem is Gohan. I've had a problem with him for a while now, actually. His power-ups just feel so unearned. Yeah, I know about his potential and whatnot, but it still irks me.

Pan is adorable.
Jul 27, 2023 10:37 PM
Aug 2018
pretty good gohan movie
Aug 1, 2023 1:58 AM

Dec 2009
waalex11 said:

Rewatching this was surprisingly far more enjoyable than the first time after better appreciating the countless iconic moments and callbacks of Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z.

The music score is mostly uninspiring and overall mediocre, so it rarely added more than it could have to the many great scenes,
but the biggest flaw because of it IMO is including the fights.

The clarity of movements and actions from the cgi is great, but I'm not particularly a fan of cgi animation since it's somewhat stiff.
I personally prefer the beauty of smooth flowing animation from drawn art like how it was in the Super Broly movie.
That is gorgeous unlike the stiffness and outlines of cgi to an extent.
Although, again, the soundtrack doesn't compliment the fights strongly.

The biggest disappointment would be the final fight from Cell Max itself and how fast the climax of it is.
Gohan's epic transformation and speed of killing Cell Max isn't as grand as it feels due to the lackluster music and rushed pacing.

Aside from that, again, I think it's great for the many iconic scenes and the spirit of it overall with all the references to Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z,
including the many neglected supporting characters.

My favorite character in all of this is 3-year-old Pan for how incredibly adorable she is throughout the whole movie.
Gohan as one of my top favorite characters of DB below Future Trunks (as #1) is my second favorite character of this movie.
The whole cast was incredible, but Kyle Herbert's performance as Gohan in this movie was awesome!

... As for the designs, I don't like Cell Max as a giant brute in comparison to the intelligent powerful original Cell was, so I really hope Cell Max as Cell somehow comes back to have the proper potential be could technically have as an even greater foe, and possibly even become an ally after.

Piccolo's design being orange is kinda ugly, and becoming so much taller and buff is odd, but whatever. It's kinda cool how menacing it is.
Even though I didn't love how huge Cell Max was, it was great that Krillin influenced Piccolo to become Giant himself like he did in the past.

As for Gohan, his hair is far too long, and the red eyes aren't too fitting.
It looks too evil in a half human.
His hair color being similar to Ultra Instinct Goku as gray is a bit off putting as well, but it's cool enough as much as I don't love it.
Shorter hair and without red eyes would look better.

Nonetheless.
It was a pleasure to see all of the forgotten characters or supporting alike, such as;
Korin, Dende, Goten, Trunks, Gotenks, 18, Krillin, Beerus, Whis, Cheelia, Broly, and Shenron.
(Although it's sad to hear Johnny and not Vic as the voice.)

A glimpse of "Android 21" (true name) Vomi (now anime canon) as Dr. Gero's Wife was intriguing.

From the flashbacks of seeing Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z scenes reanimated,
to seeing Dende as Kami again, a Shenron summoning, and Piccolo's giant form.

So many enjoyable moments.
Videl calling Uncle Piccolo to pick up Pan from school, Pan and Piccolo training in the beginning, Gotenks, Trunks and Goten finally growing taller as teenagers.
Dad Piccolo and Gohan bonding and ability to save the world.
Bulma using wishes from the dragon balls for cosmetic surgery to get her ass firm like a college student (She's still hot. What a joy).
Another moment in particular is Beerus getting an instant crush love at first sight from Cheelia. It's great. I love it.
She's beautiful and charming in her own right.

All of Pan was the best. She's adorable.
As ridiculous as it is, Piccolo's plan to unleash Gohan's potential through rage of Pan pretending to be kidnapped is sweet and hilarious.

Seeing so many of the Z fighters fight was great.
In hindsight, the choreography is better than I thought. Yet, again, the score doesn't fully compliment it, along with the slight stiffness of cgi, so they're oddly not extremely enjoyable to watch or super rewatchable.

The concept itself is great.
The comedy is immature but not obnoxious so enjoyable, and overall the movie is very entertaining.
As for the new characters, Dr. Hedo as a fan of super heroes is childish, along with cheesy Gamma 1 & 2 but whatever.
They're pretty cool as heroic androids.

Dr. Hedo being a fan of Bulma is nice, but it's hilarious that she'll use him for her cosmetics.
Fortunately instead of the dragon balls.
18 getting angry over not getting a job (money) from Bulma over a new guy is funny and fun as a reminder of her greed.

Finally, the end credits showing Nimbus,
Videl finding her house titled to the ground on one side, and Vegeta in a sparring match finally beating Goku hours later was sweet.

I gotta say it again though... Pan is so fucking adorable! 8/10.
waalex11Aug 1, 2023 2:04 AM
Aug 15, 2023 12:44 PM
Apr 2009
I came for the new transformations, I gotta watch Broly's after this. 

I will say, the CGI/3D animation reminds me of video game cutscenes lol, I can't unsee it. I know it must be cheaper, but I hope they go back to 2d even if this is solid.
Of course, certain things were odd - (Wasnt mystic Gohan form supposed to be on all the time?) Krillin not flying in to save Pan is wildd! (lol) Orange Piccolo is cool, but also a bit eh on the design. They used the wishes on the stupidest things tbh (Why not give the power to Dende early, so he can use that spell on everyone, etc) - 

I really liked the Gammas. Honestly, Gamma 2 is pretty much a better/copied version of Gohans Saiyanman - wish he didnt die
Also Piccolo has shown more personality here then ever, I do like seeing that.
Also Vegeta is the luckiest man, Bulma will never not wish for youthful beauty
Beast mode, is a bit cheap - though im always glad to see Gohan become the strongest again. But, no way with no practice at all can he transform into that. Also, the lamest transformation in the show - It took 1 second of buildup into the form!

Orange Piccolo = Blue SSJ 90%
Beast Mode = Ultra Instinct 90%

All in all, solid movie for the Lore, Pan is adorable.  
SsjbryandoAug 15, 2023 12:52 PM
Aug 24, 2023 5:50 AM

Nov 2012
Just rewatching it, and I do find it a lil odd Piccolo didn't even think of or mention any of the other Z fighters to help (Tien, Yamcha, Krillin, Roshi) ofc I doubt the film could've focused on those additional characters much at all but it's weird that they didn't even think to mention them, when it defo seems like an all hands on deck situation, I loved old Z movies where the crisis would cause whoever was available to pitch in, even if severely outmatched.

I mean this is coming off of the Tournament of power where Roshi, Krillin and Tien all pitched in, hell even Yamcha wanted to but wasn't picked lol. He mentions the androids weaknesses might be exploited and that Bu is asleep, but no mention of the others, in the dub at least anyway. I mean Gotten, Trunks, Krillin and 18 show up eventually too which is odd, even if piccolo didn't you'd think Bulma would call the others after learning the situation. Especially as she couldn't get hold of Vegeta/Goku. I feel like it just really cements their sidelined/forgotten status even after being at least somewhat present in Super/TOP, like they're not even part of the roster anymore. Sad as always glad to see them included. Really with the free for all at the end with Cell Max, everyone was useful, I'm sure I can't be the only one to express this. Would've loved to see them show up with the others.
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Oct 8, 2023 2:10 PM
Jan 2022
beast gohan and beerus planet training
Oct 15, 2023 2:30 PM
Aug 2022
goo goo ga ga i like it when gohan goes beast and piccolo changbes color
Oct 20, 2023 9:29 AM

Jul 2022
The animation was good, the fights were good, the new power-ups were good. The only aspect that was not good is... the story. It was very mediocre and Cell Max really pissed me off... he's certainly one of the worst and most boring DB villains in history so far and he didn't even say a word during the whole movie. What a downgrade from the OG Cell... 6/10.
Nov 12, 2023 1:28 PM

Jan 2013
Beerus liking Cheelai took me by surprise.
"You're too green for this operation" lmao
Idk how I feel about Bulma using the Dragon Balls for cosmetic surgery ...
"Plus a bit extra" - What an awesome entrance by Piccolo

Honestly I was very worried about the CGI switch but it wasn't nearly as bad I thought it'd be.
I still would've preferred the kind of animation and art we got in the recent Broly movie though.

There wasn't a big sense of urgency compared to previous villains either, Cell Max was strong sure but instantly noting his weak spot made it less so imo.
I guess not every villain has to be this insane new threat but still, I would've loved a bit more.

A big plus however was that Gohan and Piccolo finally get some focus on them instead of Goku and Vegeta saving the day.
Orange Piccolo and Beast Gohan looked awesome.
The comedy was on point too, some funny and really enjoyable moments.
Jan 21, 10:44 AM
Oct 2021
One of the greatest anime movie ever made!
Jan 23, 7:51 AM

Dec 2020
wow this was a lot better than i thought it would be!

idc if it was cgi the animation was amazing

goku-less big fight created screen time for other characters

& good lord bulma.. those curves

had funny moments, epic ones & overall very enjoyable
Jan 31, 5:39 AM
Mar 2019
Gotta get used to that look, but this was pretty rad
Mar 6, 1:26 PM
Dec 2014
Was an alright movie, the 3d cgi thing wasnt that bad had to get used to it for a bit. Bit I feel like this movie wasnt that serious at all, bit like a kids movie. 7/10
Mar 11, 9:12 PM
Feb 2014
I enjoyed it, I’m glad they made Cell Max look like Semi Perfect Cell, that form was like the least, Imperfect Cell was the creepiest and Perfect Cell was perfect, Semi Perfect Cell didn’t even get a theme song unlike Imperfect Cell and Perfect Cell. 🪦 Akira Toriyama.
Apr 24, 10:42 PM
Jan 2021
Reply to deg
Gohan Blanco is canon

and Orange Piccolo is cool too

Cell Max is underwhelming he just rages and rages

and we got a glimpse of Android 21 (her human name is Vomi) she is the wife of Dr. Gero looks like she is canon too and might show up in the future

this is a very good 3DCG movie too lots of camera circus shots that will be hard to animate by hand imo, its like they have many Naotoshi Shida doing those itano circus scenes
@deg You have no evidence to prove that either of these things are canon, or anything in the movie.
Apr 24, 10:43 PM
Jan 2021
I initially didn’t want to watch this movie due to the CGI because I prefer the 2D style of the series (especially Dragon Ball Super: Broly), but I’ve seen some fan animations on YouTube so I decided to check it out.

I love how the story started off with Magenta, Red’s son twisting the actions of Capsule Corporation so that Hedo would do his bidding. I don’t get how Hedo didn’t know that Magenta was capping during half of his explanation. Yes, Goku, Vegeta, and the other Z Fighers fly around the place and from an outside perspective that could look suspicious, but if their intention was to take over the world, THEY WOULD HAVE DONE THAT A LONG TIME AGO! For such a genius, he can be quite stupid.

And of course Goku and Vegeta were on Beerus’ planet training. I didn’t expect to see Broly around and I had an idea that Goku and Vegeta were going to fight because I’ve seen some clips here and there…

It was strange to me how Piccolo was trying to push Gohan so hard to get back to training knowing that he’s not a fighter, but this shows what can happen when Goku and Vegeta aren’t available. Gohan is the next one up, and it seems that Pan has more potential than him. Speaking of Gohan, it was so cool seeing him get angry at that Red Ribbon guy and his entrance into the hideout. Bro he was so cool, way better than his time as the Great Saiyaman (beyond cringe and cheesy).

I didn’t expect to see Goten and Trunks grown up. How much time has passed between the end of Super and this movie? Obviously at least six months since there is a six month time skip in the movie. Man, I felt goosebumps watching Gohan progressively get more pissed, unleashing more of his power and I was shocked when Piccolo had Pan pretend to be in danger so that he would unleash even more power.

Orange Piccolo, that name is LAME! I can’t believe that’s what Piccolo is calling that form of his. Gamma 1 and 2 were chill dudes, and I love how 2 gave 1 the same line he did at the start about confirming whether Hedo is dead. Nice touch there as he went all out against Cell Max, giving Gohan and Piccolo the opportunity to finish things for good.

Speaking of, that new form of Gohan’s. That white hair with red eyes, what was that?! And it seems he was getting cocky until Piccolo intervened. I didn’t know that Gohan was gonna use Special Beam Cannon, and I loved every minute of it. Also in the heat of battle, Pan learned how to fly.

All’s well that ends well. And arguably the best part of this movie is the fact that Vegeta finally did it. He surpassed Kakarot and beat him in battle. THAT WAS BEYOND HYPE. Vegeta is by far my favorite Dragon Ball character and he is the reason why I have so much pride! BRO LET’S GO! VEGETA YOU ARE THE MAN!
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Pan is the redeemer of this film, and all I want is a new gen Dragon Ball adventure starring her.

middle_pickup - Dec 29, 2023

9 by middle_pickup »»
Dec 30, 2023 4:59 PM

» Thoughts on the cgi?

TASM18 - Dec 25, 2022

23 by middle_pickup »»
Dec 28, 2023 7:06 PM

» Dragon Ball is creatively bankrupt

-Hermit- - Oct 22, 2022

33 by Kenrin »»
Dec 22, 2023 9:06 PM

» Available on Prime Video

JohanJ04 - Dec 2, 2023

0 by JohanJ04 »»
Dec 2, 2023 2:26 PM

» Dragon Ball Super Super Hero is now the number 1 Dragon Ball movie

deg - May 13, 2023

15 by JVskunkape »»
Aug 24, 2023 6:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.