Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 22, 2022 1:26 PM

Mar 2021
Everything about it at this point is just rehashing the things they did in Dragon Ball Z.

Gohan gets a new transformation, because that is all Dragon Ball is now. Even the way he transformed was ripped straight out of DBZ when he went Super Saiyan 2.

I think the whole transformation thing became tired towards the end of Z, but Super has just rehased those same transformations all over again with a different colour and stupid names. It doesn't help that the fans defend it. It's all "oh, but Dragon Ball Z did it".......yeah, but it's been done now, why would I want to see the exact same thing again done worse?

Dragon Ball was never the deepest manga / anime, especially once Z rolled around, but Super doesn't even try. It has no redeeming qualities. It's the biggest nostalgia bait I have seen in any media in my life.
Oct 22, 2022 1:37 PM

Aug 2022
It's always been like this. Still, whatever it's getting is better than yu yu hackuso
Oct 22, 2022 1:41 PM

Mar 2021
DeOnePieceIsReal said:
It's always been like this. Still, whatever it's getting is better than yu yu hackuso

"It's always been like this"............pretty much proves my point about people using the "but Dragon Ball Z did it" line. Yes, Dragon Ball Z did do it, but why would anybody want to see the exact same thing again?

What does this have to do with Yu Yu Hakusho?
Oct 22, 2022 1:55 PM
Mar 2020
-Hermit- said:
DeOnePieceIsReal said:

"It's always been like this"............pretty much proves my point about people using the "but Dragon Ball Z did it" line. Yes, Dragon Ball Z did do it, but why would anybody want to see the exact same thing again?

As the other said, dragon ball has always been like this and it will continue to do so...

Idk what about it you can’t understand... it won’t change and don’t expect it to change.

To answer your question, why would anyone watch the same shit all over again? How am I supposed to know? If I knew that, then I’d call myself god or something.

A better suited answer would be that people (unlike you) don’t care if they’re watching the same shit... it’s almost as if preferences exist.

You won’t like watching the same shit over and over again. Someone else will. I don’t think they or you are wrong for thinking that way. It’s just preferences.

I’d love for db to be as deep as aot, but will that happen? No, so might as well enjoy it for what it is... a repetitive generic anime. Most of us will continue to watch it because of the huge amount of nostalgia it gives us. It is what it is.

𝘚𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦𝘴 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘤𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘦 𝘮𝘺 𝘦𝘺𝘦𝘴, 𝘐 𝘤𝘢𝘯’𝘵 𝘴𝘦𝘦.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Oct 22, 2022 2:29 PM
Oct 2019
Low-key need to hire new writers like go explore the other universes, the demon realm, create new iconic techniques like I'm tired of the same shit now
Oct 22, 2022 2:59 PM

Mar 2021
DarkSoul1782 said:
Low-key need to hire new writers like go explore the other universes, the demon realm, create new iconic techniques like I'm tired of the same shit now

I don't care what anybody says, Toyotoro is a complete hack. I'm not saying Toriyama is an amazing story writer, he needs a lot of help to make his stories work, but Toyotoro has nothing going for him and is making a living from nostalgia bait. His work is like the fanfiction Dragon Ball fans used to mock.
-Hermit-Oct 22, 2022 3:05 PM
Oct 22, 2022 3:09 PM

Mar 2020
-Hermit- said:
Everything about it at this point is just rehashing the things they did in Dragon Ball Z.

Gohan gets a new transformation, because that is all Dragon Ball is now. Even the way he transformed was ripped straight out of DBZ when he went Super Saiyan 2.

I think the whole transformation thing became tired towards the end of Z, but Super has just rehased those same transformations all over again with a different colour and stupid names. It doesn't help that the fans defend it. It's all "oh, but Dragon Ball Z did it".......yeah, but it's been done now, why would I want to see the exact same thing again done worse?

Dragon Ball was never the deepest manga / anime, especially once Z rolled around, but Super doesn't even try. It has no redeeming qualities. It's the biggest nostalgia bait I have seen in any media in my life.

This movie is more or less just nostalgic service. Red ribbon and cyborgs which in the end fight with the heroes, piccolo training a kid, enemies “kidnapping“ a kid, gohan getting a limit breaking new form which completely dominates the end boss after losing someone and much more.
This movie is probably intentionally made like that

Oct 22, 2022 3:28 PM

Mar 2021
Nikaisaka said:
-Hermit- said:

This movie is more or less just nostalgic service. Red ribbon and cyborgs which in the end fight with the heroes, piccolo training a kid, enemies “kidnapping“ a kid, gohan getting a limit breaking new form which completely dominates the end boss after losing someone and much more.

It's not just this movie though, every single new story in Dragon Ball Super has some sort of rehashing in it. I'm not bothered if a series takes inspiration from previous arcs in the series, but they are pretty much straight up copying things.
Oct 22, 2022 3:34 PM

Feb 2020
I have to admit this movie was totally made out of reusing previous dragon ball entries/ themes (especially cell Saga and bio broly) and works by creating nostalgia.(this movie doesnt have much new element of its own per say). But for me it's still a effective one. A good eg to explain it by picking up certain scenes like for eg pan's flying lession which is basically same as Gohan giving flying lession to videl in DBZ in Android saga. But this one makes it meaningful in a new different angle showing passage or time and relationships. Another would be hedo, i always wanted the scientist characters of dragon ball z to be more than just minor generic plot devices.

Nothing wrong with reusing if it's working and created in effective way, it definitely not a mere rehash. There are improvements or atleast alternative angle view points. It's anyways a movie made for db fans (not a standalone product). I better to be a effective nostalgia producing content than to be disservice like GT. When a show is sequal to 30 years old long show successfully creating nostalgia is more important than introducing new concepts or themes. Or else there is not point of the show being a sequal instead of original new series.

About the transformation complaints, I think a lot of people expect serious GAR from it rather than mild parody. Db anime with all it all the fillers, movies and extra content do looks like a extremely serious GAR that it actually is. It kind of bit confusing to put it in words, but transformation are for the fun of transformation craze and in the end it are not treated as the thing of concern. As long as pan's amusement translates anything goes. Movie did give a clear weak points to cell and made the gamma brother ambiguous enough to be noncomparable. Other than the a buff power up, transformations doesn't hold a narrative significance in the movie.

I do still dislike beast gohan's design though. Much more interesting was the glasses with weight pad one

Overall it is a fun movie with enough comical elements and fleshed out characters at the very least.( I watched jjk 0 around the same time as super hero which shares the similar situation as super hero, even though because of opposite reason. But character or story was not fleshed out in that).

AdampkOct 23, 2022 2:25 AM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Oct 22, 2022 4:21 PM
Jun 2021
-Hermit- said:

Absolutely agree
Oct 22, 2022 4:22 PM
Jan 2021
That won’t stop scenes like ultra instinct breaking the internet
Oct 22, 2022 5:02 PM
Aug 2019
this series has been creatively bankrupt since the Buu saga, it’s not gonna get any better lol
Oct 22, 2022 7:21 PM

Dec 2017
-Hermit- said:

Wow bro I think you’re breaking new ground with this post I’m sure no one else with a brain has ever come to that conclusion, have you thought about becoming a anituber with these hot and accurate takes?
Oct 22, 2022 11:04 PM
Aug 2022
-Hermit- said:
DarkSoul1782 said:

I don't care what anybody says, Toyotoro is a complete hack. I'm not saying Toriyama is an amazing story writer, he needs a lot of help to make his stories work, but Toyotoro has nothing going for him and is making a living from nostalgia bait. His work is like the fanfiction Dragon Ball fans used to mock.

Toyotaro doesn’t write dbs stupid
Oct 22, 2022 11:05 PM
Aug 2022
-Hermit- said:
Nikaisaka said:

It's not just this movie though, every single new story in Dragon Ball Super has some sort of rehashing in it. I'm not bothered if a series takes inspiration from previous arcs in the series, but they are pretty much straight up copying things.

It’s not that deep touch grass
Oct 23, 2022 2:18 AM
Jul 2014
The saddest part of this thread is you could have rubbed two braincells together and not posted it.
Oct 23, 2022 3:35 AM

Mar 2020
-Hermit- said:
Nikaisaka said:

Well I noticed that dbs is completely resting on the success that db and dbz made. But I think starting from tournament arc it’s not that copy paste anymore

Oct 23, 2022 10:06 AM

Mar 2021
GoatDLuffy said:
-Hermit- said:

Toyotaro doesn’t write dbs stupid

Never said he did. I was just pointing out another issue with DBS. It's full of hacks.
Oct 23, 2022 10:10 AM

Mar 2021
Error_JJBA said:

Wow bro I think you’re breaking new ground with this post I’m sure no one else with a brain has ever come to that conclusion, have you thought about becoming a anituber with these hot and accurate takes?

Damolisher said:
The saddest part of this thread is you could have rubbed two braincells together and not posted it.

How about you both get fucked? I'll post what I like, the thread isn't breaking any forum rules. Why don't you both try and counter my points instead of acting like raging fanboys? Or maybe you can't so you just go for the attack.
Oct 23, 2022 12:26 PM
Feb 2019
I will continue to watch the same things over and over for this series for as long as I’m alive, I don’t care about objective quality when I enjoy it so much
Oct 23, 2022 12:27 PM
Jul 2014
-Hermit- said:
Error_JJBA said:

Damolisher said:

How about you both get fucked? I'll post what I like, the thread isn't breaking any forum rules. Why don't you both try and counter my points instead of acting like raging fanboys? Or maybe you can't so you just go for the attack.

How about you go catch a javelin! Your post is shit.
Oct 23, 2022 4:18 PM
Jul 2018
It's been this way for a long time. (Since the Boo arc or the Cell Games depending on who you ask.)
Battle of Gods was the last time this franchise showed any actual creativity, and desire to push the franchise forward and outside of its comfort zone. I guess the new movie kinda did that with sidelining Goku and Vegeta, but not really because everything else was standard Dragon Ball fare. I enjoyed it as a dumb comedy, but I also went in not taking any of it seriously, which it seems is exactly what Toriyama did.
Oct 23, 2022 11:49 PM
Apr 2022
Don't watch it and don't read it
Oct 26, 2022 10:29 AM

Dec 2020
MeVike said:
-Hermit- said:

As the other said, dragon ball has always been like this and it will continue to do so...

Idk what about it you can’t understand... it won’t change and don’t expect it to change.

To answer your question, why would anyone watch the same shit all over again? How am I supposed to know? If I knew that, then I’d call myself god or something.

A better suited answer would be that people (unlike you) don’t care if they’re watching the same shit... it’s almost as if preferences exist.

You won’t like watching the same shit over and over again. Someone else will. I don’t think they or you are wrong for thinking that way. It’s just preferences.

I’d love for db to be as deep as aot, but will that happen? No, so might as well enjoy it for what it is... a repetitive generic anime. Most of us will continue to watch it because of the huge amount of nostalgia it gives us. It is what it is.

^^this man is on another dimension
Nov 1, 2022 4:36 AM
Apr 2021
To The OP that’s literally what shonen is. Everyone does it, story might be different but almost always a transformation. Naruto did it, MHA Is going to, jujutsu does it (level up new power), heck even one piece does it. story wise they’re all completely different shows but they all (shonen) have the same core elements. transformation, fight, and big bad rinse and repeat you don’t want that pick a different (non-shonen) genre. No reply will be given
Nov 2, 2022 11:39 AM

Nov 2013
I agree, plus the animation was so bad. I'm not sure how anyone thought this was good.
Nov 2, 2022 1:14 PM

Aug 2017
Dragon Ball has been bankrupt since GT Omega Shenron days.

It won't get any better.
Really wish they would end it on the Beerus arc and call it day.

Nov 2, 2022 3:04 PM
Oct 2019
At least the side characters got to do something 😭 (I still like them so I liked the movie, I'm hella biased) but yeah you're right, old fans backs must hurt from are carrying the series at this point
Nov 14, 2022 1:44 PM

Mar 2021
Smug_Wendy said:
To The OP that’s literally what shonen is. Everyone does it, story might be different but almost always a transformation. Naruto did it, MHA Is going to, jujutsu does it (level up new power), heck even one piece does it. story wise they’re all completely different shows but they all (shonen) have the same core elements. transformation, fight, and big bad rinse and repeat you don’t want that pick a different (non-shonen) genre. No reply will be given

But they aren't even creative with it anymore.

Gohans new transformation was pretty much exactly the same as Super Saiyan 2. He stares in shock after Piccolo is seriously wounded (again) they show that visual effect line thing across the screen, then zoom into his eye, then a burst of rage releasing his energy. Then you get him standing there with the exact same pose, clothes and even hair style. The scene was 100% ripped out of Dragon Ball Z when Gohan went SS2. The only difference was that Cell didn't crush somebody's head into pieces.

As somebody who has been watching Dragon Ball so long, why would I want to see those exact same things done again? They have already been done, do something else.
May 9, 2023 2:37 PM

Sep 2014
The way I see it is the franchise is basically retired and stuff like this movie are just fanservice. We had a proper end with DBZ, so its not like we need Super to fill a void.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Aug 22, 2023 1:25 AM
Apr 2022
-Hermit- said:

Well you started talking the new transformation of Gohan and just speaking of Super it's the only thing that make sense. Gohan before the T.O.P said that he wanted to achieve a new transformation that no one achieved before as he was going to evolve as human and not as a saiyan. Only this is enough to prove you're wrong, do not forget that the characters talks and do things during a scene, they're not puppets that only shoot energy blast
Aug 24, 2023 6:06 AM

Nov 2012
Nah, super and any continuation does and would have to stand as it's own. Most would agree with you it doesn't live up to DB or Z, but judged on its own it's still good and enjoyable, and let's face it we could've got a lot worse. At least it's not bad, and ofc it's super nostalgic and fun to revisit for a lot of us older fans too, admittedly much of the appeal of Super. Some of us waited so long without anything DB that when it returned (and with a decent outing nonetheless) it was and I guess still is a huge event for us. I'll forever be excited for any future DB projects. But you can't really spend the whole time measuring it up to DB/Z.
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Sep 1, 2023 5:18 PM

Mar 2021
I guess I'm part of the minority that really enjoyed the movie
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 22, 2023 9:06 PM

Jan 2017
At least they remembered some other characters instead of yet another Goku/Vegeta wank I'm so sick of. Even if what they did to Krillin is a disgrace.
鬼に逢うては鬼を斬る
仏に逢うては仏を斬る
ツルギの理ここに在り

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

deg - Jun 13, 2022

138 by KingBaller06 »»
Apr 24, 10:43 PM

» Pan is the redeemer of this film, and all I want is a new gen Dragon Ball adventure starring her.

middle_pickup - Dec 29, 2023

9 by middle_pickup »»
Dec 30, 2023 4:59 PM

» Thoughts on the cgi?

TASM18 - Dec 25, 2022

23 by middle_pickup »»
Dec 28, 2023 7:06 PM

» Available on Prime Video

JohanJ04 - Dec 2, 2023

0 by JohanJ04 »»
Dec 2, 2023 2:26 PM

» Dragon Ball Super Super Hero is now the number 1 Dragon Ball movie

deg - May 13, 2023

15 by JVskunkape »»
Aug 24, 2023 6:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.