Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Final Season - Asaki Yume no Akatsuki Episode 4 Discussion

New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 8, 2022 4:36 AM
Nov 2020
Piromysl said:
Original is a masterpiece and easily one of the top 10 of my fav.
But this is just garbage adaptation of Gatcha Game.
Shitton of irrelevant characters wasting screen time, each as interesting as Kirito, which effectively turns this spinoof into s chore.
At least 4th movie is coming, so I'll be working on repressing this from my memory, I guess.

I see, so basically all u can do is compare this to Madoka u couldn't see this series fpr what it is. Ur attitude towards this series tells a lot about u...That's why MadoMagi fans tend to get a bad reputation because u guys always shit on series that is not MadokaMagi.
Apr 8, 2022 4:38 AM

Jul 2015
Shirowhite01 said:
Piromysl said:
Original is a masterpiece and easily one of the top 10 of my fav.
But this is just garbage adaptation of Gatcha Game.
Shitton of irrelevant characters wasting screen time, each as interesting as Kirito, which effectively turns this spinoof into s chore.
At least 4th movie is coming, so I'll be working on repressing this from my memory, I guess.

I see, so basically all u can do is compare this to Madoka u couldn't see this series fpr what it is. Ur attitude towards this series tells a lot about u...That's why MadoMagi fans tend to get a bad reputation because u guys always shit on series that is not MadokaMagi.

There is no need to be upset.
Anyway, if you really think this garbage and (thankfully) totally skippable adaptation of Gatcha Game is somehow on par with original, then you do yours.
Just don't tell anyone we had a conversation.
PiromyslApr 8, 2022 4:41 AM

Apr 8, 2022 4:46 AM
Nov 2020
salarx said:
MikiKiwi said:
As a die hard fan of the Madoka Franchise and obviously the game I am pretty disappointed. By having such an unhappy ending they ruined the whole reason 'Magia Record' as a timeline was allowed to exist by Madokami. Its suppose to be the one when they actually defeat Walpurgisnacht. I know they would have needed way more episodes to even get half of the game story across, but that would have been way better then this attempt at an alternate super sad ending.

well defeating Walpurgisnacht is one aspect of the timeline, but not the most relevant. The reason why Madokami didn't interfere with this timeline during the great rewrite (replace witches with wraiths) is because this little failed experiment of Magius actually saved / prolonged the lives of many magical girls. In other timelines Iroha never made contract, and that alone changes the fate of many magical girls.

Without Witches though how would it prolong the lives of magical girls if they don't get grief seed. Sure Iroha still has Ui's power to collect the despair accumulated within the soul gems, but without Touka's power to transform that negative energy into power for magical girls and Nemu's power to give the converted energy a physical form into the universe...Despair will just keep on happening. Goddess Madoka should've intervened.
Apr 8, 2022 4:56 AM
Nov 2020
Piromysl said:
Shirowhite01 said:

Anyway, if you really think this garbage and (thankfully) totally skippable adaptation of Gatcha Game is somehow on par with original, then you do yours.

Unlike u sir i don't compare one series to another, i see it for what it is. Just because Madoka had more focus on the main characters (there's hardly any side characters there) doesn't mean it should be put on a pedestal and then shit talk about other series that don't rely on a Goddess to resolve all the problem in one go.

It's no doubt Magia Record had issues when it comes to pacing and the changes with the storyline but it's still pretty decent to me...Too bad we didn't get to see all the magical girls fight the Walpurgis i just hope Shaft planned the story well.
Apr 8, 2022 5:06 AM
Nov 2020
FragmantLemon said:
That's it?! The fearsome Walpurgisnacht which Alina sacrificed herself to fuse with got one-shotted by Iroha and Yachiyo with no context whatsoever? Her being saved easily at the start by the crew was also lame

It's finally over, stuck this long to know what the f happened to Ui and the 2 other girls in the hospital and the backstory delivered. Everything else was such a snoozefest saved by Shaft's brilliance in the animation department

Iroha used Ui's power to collect the power of all magical girls present in the area into her giving her a massive power boost + Yachiyo and the power given to her by her deceased friends.

What bothers me more is why Goddess Madoka didn't intervened in this timeline, yes she bore witness to the Magia Reco girls' struggle and victory against Walpurgis but witches still existed and even though Iroha has Ui's power to collect the taint, it still wouldn't be enough since she doesn't have Touka and Nemu's powers to manage the taints on other magical girls.
Apr 8, 2022 5:11 AM

Jul 2015
Shirowhite01 said:
Piromysl said:

Unlike u sir i don't compare one series to another, i see it for what it is. Just because Madoka had more focus on the main characters (there's hardly any side characters there) doesn't mean it should be put on a pedestal and then shit talk about other series that don't rely on a Goddess to resolve all the problem in one go.

It's no doubt Magia Record had issues when it comes to pacing and the changes with the storyline but it's still pretty decent to me...Too bad we didn't get to see all the magical girls fight the Walpurgis i just hope Shaft planned the story well.

I don't really need to compare it to deem it garbage. If it wouldn't be a part of Madoka universe, this thing would be completely forgettable, but as it is, it will now make a nasty taint on the franchise.

Apr 8, 2022 5:39 AM

Jan 2019
The franchise definitely didn't need such a poorly written, confusing, unfocused spin-off, full of characters that add little or nothing and countless poorly explained points. Glad this mess has finally come to an end.
"If someone says it's wrong to hope, I'll tell them they're wrong every single time."
Apr 8, 2022 5:52 AM
Nov 2020
Piromysl said:
Shirowhite01 said:

I don't really need to compare it to deem it garbage. If it wouldn't be a part of Madoka universe, this thing would be completely forgettable, but as it is, it will now make a nasty taint on the franchise.

I've read some spoilers about the game's story and apparently Shaft made a MASSIVE change with the storyline...Magia Record is supposed to be a single record of about a timeline where things worked out, where Walpurgis was destroyed without losing a single life on the magical girls' side, Homura didn't travel back in time, where it got a Happy Ending which Goddess Madoka recorded. It supposed to connect with Madoka-verse and supposed to be remembered since Goddess Madoka bore witness to the success of this timeline.

According also to them the characters in the anime chars acted very differently from the game, Nemu for example didn't know the truth from the beginning and wouldn't do what she did in the anime.

Tldr: In some way i agree with u after reading the spoilers from other people, Shaft did Magia Record dirty with how they handled the anime. Now i don't know how they'll even connect this with the upcoming movie of MadoMagi with all the changes they did with the anime of Magia Record.
Apr 8, 2022 6:00 AM
Nov 2020
ACasualViewer said:
They speed ran the entire storyline in the last episode, Alina really needed more of an explanation, the original cast did not do much despite how much focus they got the prior season as well. I guess it makes sense in context of the overall story, Madoka Magica is the true canon and this is just another failed timeline, no one except ultimate madoka and the main characters in this show will ever even remember what happened but their story happened and their struggles were real.

Shaft made a lot of changes in the anime apparently, Magia Record was supposed to be about a record of a miraculous timeline where things worked out, where Homura didn't have to travel back in time, Walpurgis was destroyed in this timeline and no one died...Iroha got all of her sisters back and it got a Happy Ending...To which the anime ruined by turning it into another failed timeline.

That's why Goddess Madoka recorded it because it's the only timeline where theu didn't fail.
Apr 8, 2022 6:17 AM
Nov 2020
Felkin said:
Sigmar-Unberogen said:

We see Homura going back in time - so, this entire show was pointless?

I mean.. It IS a Madoka Magica Side Story. It was obvious from the moment we found out this takes place in parallel with Homura doing her loops that it would have no relevance to the main story outside of providing the viewers, and Homura by extension, further context about how witches work. Just an interesting story that happened in one of Homura's loops.

Magia Record is supposed to be a story of a miraculous timeline where things worked out with the help of other magical girls, supposed to be a record of a successful timeline not a failed one, Homura for example in Magia Record (game) didn't travel back in time. Walpurgis was defeated by working together with other magical girls. Iroha's 3 sisters didn't die and they were reunited.
Apr 8, 2022 10:55 AM

Jul 2016
My overall opinion on this series:

S1 ep1: Amazing episode.
Rest of S1: Rollercoaster of emotions, ranging from terrible to amazing. Terrible pacing issue.

S2 ep1: Amazing episode.
Rest of S2: Some amazing episodes (especially Iroha Doppel episode) with amazing, yet clunky fight sequences (fixed in Blu-ray), but overall, weird pacing.

S3 ep1: Amazing episode.
Ep2: wtf
Ep3: Strong episode
Ep4: wtf

Overall for S3: Extremely rushed, not a single fight sequence worth remembering (big contrast to S2, even worse than S1), and the whole buildup about the walpisthingy night stuff, all down the drain with a kamikaze suicide charge, and worse of all, OFF-SCREEN!

Magia Record had the potential of being really interesting and being good, but ultimately, I feel like they were held down by the game. They should've just taken the concept of Doppel and did their own thing.

Note: I have not played the game nor do I hold the original Madoka on some pedestal.

Apr 8, 2022 11:33 AM

Feb 2011
Forgot this even existed, and struggled to sit through these last 4 episodes.
85% of the time I had no idea what was going on at all, and it's not worth rewatching the previous season just to catch up.

2/5. only reason it gets even a 2 is because iroha is cute af

Apr 8, 2022 1:24 PM
Sep 2021
salarx said:
MikiKiwi said:
As a die hard fan of the Madoka Franchise and obviously the game I am pretty disappointed. By having such an unhappy ending they ruined the whole reason 'Magia Record' as a timeline was allowed to exist by Madokami. Its suppose to be the one when they actually defeat Walpurgisnacht. I know they would have needed way more episodes to even get half of the game story across, but that would have been way better then this attempt at an alternate super sad ending.

well defeating Walpurgisnacht is one aspect of the timeline, but not the most relevant. The reason why Madokami didn't interfere with this timeline during the great rewrite (replace witches with wraiths) is because this little failed experiment of Magius actually saved / prolonged the lives of many magical girls. In other timelines Iroha never made contract, and that alone changes the fate of many magical girls.

It ruins the point that Madokami didn't break that timeline because it was the only one where she, Homura, and other magical girls got a shot at happiness. Removing Madokami healing them and minimally supporting them in their fight was also lame. They took the hope away and threw aside central themes like the found family aspect in trade for flat characters and emotionless deaths. It is hard for me to even imagine caring about the girls who died if I hadn't played the game.

Also, giving Yachiyo a hair cut at the end was silly.
Apr 8, 2022 1:28 PM
Nov 2020
After watching the finale episode i feel like this adaptation is more of a "What If" scenario where the plans of Magia Record girls didn't go as well as the one in the game, which would be bad since they didn't even at least sticked to how the arc was supposed to end.

Iroha's goal to find and save her 3 sisters wasn't achieved either, lots of magical girls died even Madoka died which turned the timeline into a failure which contradicts the Magia Record because it's supposed to be a record of a miraculous timeline where things worked out with the help of other magical girls and Homura didn't go into another time loop. It can't even be called a Record if the goals weren't achieved and nobody knows about what happened.

By letting the anime have the ending the anime staff chose, Kyubey got the last laugh.
Apr 9, 2022 7:21 AM

Dec 2012
More than 10 years have passed since I saw Madoka Magica and I still remember most of the scenes.
Just finished this 'whatever should I call it' and during the ending sequence I was like "Oh yeah, that happened too!" I'm pretty sure I'll forget it all within a week except the bitter aftertaste in my mouth.
This is why old masterpieces should have been left alone, not treated as easy cash grabs.
Apr 10, 2022 8:53 AM
The Priest Esser

Nov 2011
I got sorely disappointed after getting my hopes up after season 2. This had so much potential and I loved some of the characters to the point of caring about their future but somewhere inbetween season 2 and season 3 the production value and storyline quality dropped immensly but I still enjoyed being back in the madoka universe nonetheless and there were some hype moments that still linger in my mind.
idk why I was here but I'm prob back to playing Dragon's Dogma 2 again when you read this

Apr 14, 2022 3:41 PM

Aug 2017
this thing was as expected pretty pointless and forgettable but doesn't the ending imply that Madoka died and Homura went back in time to try and save her again? but the story still went on for everyone else so doesn't that mean that whenever Homura 'restarts the timeline' she actually just creates an alternate timeline and lives there until she fails to save Madoka and restarts again? so doesn't that mean that before the ending of the og TV show there were hundreds of alternate timelines, in all of which Madoka is dead and Homura disappears after Walpurgisnacht? interesting. but as far as i'm aware, every timeline would get erased by Madoka at the end of the og TV series (and then again by Homura at the end of Rebellion?) so this one would also disappear at that point. (although it's been a while since i saw the show and Rebellion movie, maybe i missed something)

so God Madoka closing the Magia Record book is symbolic of her erasing every timeline (except her own) at the end of the og TV show and the events, sacrifices, etc. of magical girls in them only remaining in her memory. cool, i guess it does tie into the sequence shown at the end of the episode, saying how all their achievements are unseen and only remembered by a few. still doesn't change the fact that none of their sacrifices (Touka, Ui, Nemu, Momoko, Mifuyu, Kuroe) mattered because the timeline gets erased and only God Madoka (and later Homura after Rebellion?) will remember it.

although one could say that it doesn't matter that everything got erased at the end of the og TV show and later Rebellion, all the events depicted here still *did* happen, and that's totally valid. but it just makes me personally care much less about these types of side stories, i just wanna see what happens in the Rebellion sequel, y'know?

and of course, these are just my thoughts about the lore and nature of this side story, everyone else already talked about the underwhelming production values, plot, and characters, which all dampened my enjoyment. 5/10, i could still have enjoyed this much more if the aforementioned was better.
PatasApr 14, 2022 3:59 PM
Apr 15, 2022 10:48 AM

Aug 2018
Overall, I think that last episode made me realize the most how I feel about this spinoff overall.. I think that the most enjoyable time Madoka gives - is when it focuses on the individual stories of the girls.. Their hard lives, what they went through, what decisions made, how felt, how sad it was.. Focus on the characters scenes, moments, episodes - the best, what provides Madoka series.. In my personal opinion.. And spinoff was a strange mix of these best things.. And also some worldbuilding, which I didn't enjoy as much, but what is, I guess, needed, to put our girls in some story.. Just to show Kuroe's story, or Sana's story, or any story isn't enough by itself.. So I think some story is needed.. But I also felt that maybe anime could use even more screen time for girls and their stories, even more focus on characters.. When it was - it was quite enjoyable.. And when it wasn't.. It was fine.. But I think that maybe balance could be shifted a little.. But this is my personal feel and opinion, of course.. Thanks for several touching stories, Madoka's spinoff.. Now I hope for touching movie after great touching Rebellion movie we had..
Apr 21, 2022 10:49 PM
Mar 2015
So long magical grils We will never forget you
Apr 23, 2022 4:08 PM

Oct 2007
sad, Kuroe also died. I thought she might be saved. But Iroha was actually saying the wrong things to her.

Touka, Nemu, and Ui (in small Kyu form) also die, sad that there are so many deaths in this show. Well, but their sacrifice delayed Alina from merging with Walpurgis.

and finally, Alina is the craziest person in this anime. She would have succeeded if the lolis did not sacrifice themselves.

that scene where the three friends from the hospital are sitting under the Sakura Uwasa.. one chair is blank. Looks like they're waiting for their Iroha nee-sama?

overall, still enjoyed this. With many lessons learned.
and I guess if Touka and Nemu survive, they might try to continue with the doppel system again.
Liddo-kunApr 24, 2022 6:00 AM
Apr 26, 2022 5:03 PM

Apr 2017
Echoing what someone else said about everything in Magia Record being pointless, ultimately, if Homura resets this timeline as well.

No idea what the final scene between Iroha and Madoka is supposed to mean or where it fits within the current (?) timeline. Is Iroha delivering the "record" to Madoka after she dies, then goes to join the other three under the sakura tree? Is Madoka doing this for every iteration of Iroha from every timeline? Or is this the only timeline when Iroha and the others manage to defeat Alina / Eve / Touka / Nemu / Walpurgisnacht / whoever's the antagonist?

Pretty scene to give some closure, I guess, but raises more questions than it answers and makes things more messy.

Unless Homura actually teleports to another timeline in place of that timeline's Homura. Unsurprisingly, interdimensional-time-travel is messy.

At least the cinematography was great and the animation was better and more consistent than in previous seasons.
Even if I don't remember much from them, S3 felt less tedious than the rest.

Alina was the most annoying character I've come across recently. Very edgy and her mixing random English words into her speech was eyeroll-worthy.

7/10 acceptable I guess, glad that it's finally over.
Apr 28, 2022 4:50 AM
Jul 2021
أعتقد أنهم ضغطوا القصة في 4 حلقات ، ربما كانت تحتاج للمزيد من الحلقات و كتابة أفضل .
الموسم الأول كانت كتابة الحلقات أفضل ، لكن هذا لا يعني أن هذا الموسم سيء إلى تلك الدرجة ، يمكن إعطائه تقييم 6.5 _ 7 / 10 .
Apr 30, 2022 3:07 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
I understood every single word that I read through the subtitles. Put them together though, I didn't understand a single sentence in this season. The fuck.

I will pretend that I did understand some of it and just slap a 4/10 to this season and just move on.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
May 9, 2022 8:42 AM
Jan 2017
so thats how it end,,
iroha failed to get what mke her goal,,
find and save her sister ui, but after knowing the trusth of her, she make a choice to live without regret and get happiness with her friend as part of ui too,

im kinda disappinted about iroha who trying to save kuroe, just feel like forcing her stupid hope to the hopless person without knowing her true problem and what she actually need and result with more despair,, (i think this is lol moment seeing the naive person get desperarated), at least she able to save the wolrd again the green haired girl plane using ui power to connect everyone with a huge cannon magical power,,

and it end with the dialog that said everyone except the mahou shojo didnt know what happen or what their feel, sadness, anger, despair or anything just keep it with them,,

at first i see this is great anime with full action abd good animation at eps 1 and give it 8, but as long its going to eps 4 make me disappointed with many reason,,
and the biggest reason is IROHA,,
my final score from 8 to 4/10
May 10, 2022 10:24 AM

Jan 2013
The first season of this adaptation had a decent start and some interesting thoughts and ideas but I feel like it ultimately went nowhere.
The messages they're trying to convey we've already seen in Madoka Magica mostly and I really couldn't get attached to these characters at all.

Decent start, mediocre season 2 and ending.
Jun 3, 2022 5:44 PM

Feb 2014
I have no idea what I watched xD

Well, I don´t even know what to say, sincerely lol

I mean, that was it? Everything was happening randomly and just accept it? xD

Jun 5, 2022 11:22 AM

Jul 2015
So, nothing has changed, all this drama just to at the end the plan to save the mahou shoujos fail.

They will still suffer.

I guess that is a good ending in Madoka universe. Season 1 was good but everything went downhill afterwards.

Also Alina Gray character is confusing, her reasons and motivations needed more depth, she died anyway, I guess Shaft ran out of money (since it seemed the anime lacked some scenes that would be useful to give more insight on what was happening).
Jun 7, 2022 9:22 PM
Apr 2014
I think the first 3 episodes were paced fine enough, however the shifts in this episode were far to fast, I think it'd have done better as 2 or even 3 episodes. Overall i liked magia record though
Jun 26, 2022 10:17 AM

Nov 2018
I hope this steaming pile of shit never comes back again.

I'm hoping that the Fourth movie REALLY was written in 2014 by a competent version of Urobuchi.
Jun 28, 2022 10:15 PM

Nov 2020
Finally got to finishing this! And all I really have to say is... eh. I'm not sure what I was holding out on as the finale is the same as the rest of the show. I guess I just wanted something to finally "click" and then Magia Record would somehow justify itself but nah it just ended up being more of what was already there before. The first half of season 2 is what made me get my hopes up that finally it would go somewhere but I guess that was just a fluke.

In the end my main problems are that it introduces a huge cast, ignores at least half of it for the vast majority, and then stuff just happens. I enjoy avant-garde stuff and introducing weird unique visuals for the sake of it (the original Madoka does that greatly), but when it actively interferes with a coherent story or even the current set of events is when it becomes an issue. Half of my time watching the entire series was trying to guess what was even trying to be conveyed or even what the general story trying to be told was, but now that I know it wasn't trying to lead anywhere specific, I guess the bulk of it was introducing vague terms and concepts to make it fit into being related to Madoka without ever truly tying in with being an important side story to it and I just assumed it was at least trying to go somewhere before now. And especially the characters, I just couldn't get myself to care about anybody. They're forgotten as soon as they're introduced, and until some came back in the finale I totally forgot about their existence.

Overall I don't hate this, if you REALLY have to have more Madoka after finishing the original show/Rebellion it's a fine enough watch, but it's just pretty forgettable and could have done so much more. Honestly the ending is ironically fitting, it's a record for events that nobody knows happened and will be forgotten. So, I'm just gonna give this a 5/10. There's small things that I did enjoy. The visuals could be great and some of the fights looked amazing, and the music is still very good (especially the ED for this episode), but everything else was meh.
Jul 2, 2022 3:20 AM
Nov 2020
Season 3 of Magia Record anime's epilogue is so different from the game, feels like the director just gave up and abandon ship the story which is why it ended horribly, turning it into a failed timeline (lots of magical girls died and that demon Kyubey had the last laugh).

Instead of a miraculous timeline in which things worked out by working together with other magical girls and no one died because Goddess Madoka was cheering for them and healing the wounded girls, and the MC achieved her goals of saving her biological sister and 2 non-biological sisters. And Homura no longer time traveled back to the past.

In the anime Iroha didn't achieve her goals of saving her sisters and Homura traveled back in time because Madoka died.
Jul 2, 2022 3:29 AM
Nov 2020
Tabemonogatari said:
Finally got to finishing this! And all I really have to say is... eh. I'm not sure what I was holding out on as the finale is the same as the rest of the show. I guess I just wanted something to finally "click" and then Magia Record would somehow justify itself but nah it just ended up being more of what was already there before. The first half of season 2 is what made me get my hopes up that finally it would go somewhere but I guess that was just a fluke.

In the end my main problems are that it introduces a huge cast, ignores at least half of it for the vast majority, and then stuff just happens. I enjoy avant-garde stuff and introducing weird unique visuals for the sake of it (the original Madoka does that greatly), but when it actively interferes with a coherent story or even the current set of events is when it becomes an issue. Half of my time watching the entire series was trying to guess what was even trying to be conveyed or even what the general story trying to be told was, but now that I know it wasn't trying to lead anywhere specific, I guess the bulk of it was introducing vague terms and concepts to make it fit into being related to Madoka without ever truly tying in with being an important side story to it and I just assumed it was at least trying to go somewhere before now. And especially the characters, I just couldn't get myself to care about anybody. They're forgotten as soon as they're introduced, and until some came back in the finale I totally forgot about their existence.

To be fair, the anime diverted from the game's epilogue of this arc. And here i'm wondering just how dumb they are i mean all they have to do is adapt what's written in the story of the game into the anime but NO! THEY CHOSE TO DO WHATEVER THEY WANT AND RUINED THE STORY!

It wasn't meant to be a forgettable record.

Season 3 of Magia Record anime's epilogue is so different from the game, feels like the director just gave up and abandon ship the story which is why it ended horribly, turning it into a failed timeline (lots of magical girls died and that demon Kyubey had the last laugh). Which it shouldn't be.

It's supposed to be a miraculous timeline in which things worked out by working together with other magical girls and no one died because Goddess Madoka was cheering for them and healing the wounded girls, and the MC achieved her goals of saving her biological sister and 2 non-biological sisters. And Homura no longer time traveled back to the past because they had a chance in life to grow up and live life peacefully. It's also why Goddess Madoka didn't erase that timeline.

In the anime Iroha didn't achieve her goals of saving her sisters and Homura traveled back in time because Madoka died.
Jul 3, 2022 1:10 AM

Nov 2020
Shirowhite01 said:
Tabemonogatari said:

To be fair, the anime diverted from the game's epilogue of this arc. And here i'm wondering just how dumb they are i mean all they have to do is adapt what's written in the story of the game into the anime but NO! THEY CHOSE TO DO WHATEVER THEY WANT AND RUINED THE STORY!

It wasn't meant to be a forgettable record.

Yeah, I was reading more about the game's ending (and the general story/characters), and it completely baffles me why Shaft decided to change things like they did. And it's not even like the changes are better in theory, even just the game's ending sounds infinitely more interesting for an alternative perspective to the general Madoka Magica story. If it stayed the same but things were cut-down due to budget/production issues that'd be one thing, but it manages to be different and not even deliver on that. I seriously hope this is no indication for how the 4th Madoka movie will turn out. I doubt it, but then again if you told me a couple years ago an official Madoka spinoff would've been mediocre and forgettable I wouldn't have believed it.
Jul 3, 2022 1:42 AM
Nov 2020
[quote=Tabemonogatari message=66766371]
Shirowhite01 said:
It wasn't meant to be a forgettable record

Yeah, I was reading more about the game's ending (and the general story/characters), and it completely baffles me why Shaft decided to change things like they did. And it's not even like the changes are better in theory, even just the game's ending sounds infinitely more interesting for an alternative perspective to the general Madoka Magica story. If it stayed the same but things were cut-down due to budget/production issues that'd be one thing, but it manages to be different and not even deliver on that. I seriously hope this is no indication for how the 4th Madoka movie will turn out. I doubt it, but then again if you told me a couple years ago an official Madoka spinoff would've been mediocre and forgettable I wouldn't have believed it.

Just like JC staff, Shaft has already lost their magic in story writing they've just wasted all that hype from the 2nd season of Magia Record.
Shirowhite01Jul 3, 2022 1:45 AM
Aug 27, 2022 9:02 AM
Aug 2022
Walpurgisnacht fight happened off screen, otherwise I enjoyed seeing Holy Mami go insane
Sep 5, 2022 1:03 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
And in the end, friendship, love and memories come to save both Iroha and Yashiro from becoming witches or fusing with their dopples. They've defeated the big bad, whom was confirmed to indeed be Madoka (shown as Homura going back in time at the end). It seems Kuroe is indeed with the alternate reality Madoka, who saved the world at cost of herself. I suppose we'll see them again in the 4th movie.
I do wonder, where will Magia Record go from here... yeah this chapter is finished now, but the app still seems to have an ongoing story. What will Iroha do without Ui, the driving force of her story. Will they have a future... especially since no one but them, Madoka and Kuroe know about what happened in that timeline.
Are they present in the true timeline? Kuroe would've been a witch either way I suppose. But Ui, Iroha, the others... did they survive? I usually make a title drop joke but dang. I hope in the other timeline they'll at least be happy.
Sep 7, 2022 3:01 AM
Dec 2018
Ranacchi said:
And in the end, friendship, love and memories come to save both Iroha and Yashiro from becoming witches or fusing with their dopples. They've defeated the big bad, whom was confirmed to indeed be Madoka (shown as Homura going back in time at the end). It seems Kuroe is indeed with the alternate reality Madoka, who saved the world at cost of herself. I suppose we'll see them again in the 4th movie.
I do wonder, where will Magia Record go from here... yeah this chapter is finished now, but the app still seems to have an ongoing story. What will Iroha do without Ui, the driving force of her story. Will they have a future... especially since no one but them, Madoka and Kuroe know about what happened in that timeline.
Are they present in the true timeline? Kuroe would've been a witch either way I suppose. But Ui, Iroha, the others... did they survive? I usually make a title drop joke but dang. I hope in the other timeline they'll at least be happy.

Anime diverges quite a lot from game story. While all the girls survive in game, here a lot of them die. Quite tragic, but inline with what we see in most Madoka Magica stories, as for an equal amount of hope, there's an equal amount of despair. Nothing is free, and if something seems too good to be true, there's someone out there paying for it.

If you talk about true timeline (the main Madoka Magica timeline), most of the girls die, including Iroha. Her sister, Touka and Nemu, die too. She does eventually make contract with Kyubey, because she has potential to be a magical girl (and thus a witch). If you think about it, she doesn't meet Yachiyo, Tsuruno, Felicia, or Sana. Felicia and Sana would also eventually have shorter life span (weak magical girls, not in a group, lack of grief seeds and fierce competition). That stands true for most weak magical girls, that why you won't see magical girls in Mitakihara, Tsuruno might have died of depression.

If Iroha didn't wish for Ui to be saved, a lot of girls would have died. The karmic destiny and the nature of wish made by Ui, Touka and Nemu change the course of the timeline so much, that even if Madokami reverts changes, a lot of them would die anyway. Witches are crucial in this timelines, that's why Madokami kept it as it is.

So in the end, those who were supposed to die, died in the end. There were lives saved, and lot of magical girls got another chance in life, at the cost of some Momoko and Mitama dying. The story is quite complex with huge potential, but flopped due to poor execution. If Madoka Magica is a cake, Magia Record is cherry on top. Only if they presented in a better way, it would have been well received.
Jun 4, 2023 6:43 PM
Mar 2023
I was about to watch original Madoka Magica but mistakenly started off with these series. Had discovered my mistake right after the first episode of S1, but decided to proceed anyway. So here it is, final episode.

Artstyle is surreal and memorable and the music is nice. The explanation of the whole thing behind magical girls and moral dilemmas was impressive. But besides that, the anime could certainly be better made. The biggest drawback for me is Alina Gray — come on, she’s the main antagonist as it seems, or at least the most “evil” girl out there. Please explain why is she evil, why did she join Magius? Why she’s doing almost nothing all the time then suddenly pops up at the end? Given that no magical girl here was really evil yet, everybody had some good intention, it would be really interesting to know her backstory.

7/10 from me, same as S1 and S2.
Aug 20, 2023 9:47 AM

Jan 2013
lmao that was anticlimactic af. they killed alina greeeeeen!
Nov 26, 2023 10:39 AM

Feb 2020
Quite a confusing finale... It all went so fast. But I think that I got most of it.
However, one thing : if Homura goes back in time, why does this timeline still exist ? It makes even less sense considering that
So yeah, I'm pretty confused about that.

Aside from that, I liked this season a lot more than the last two, but still, at the end of the day it really suffered from the flaws that were alaways plaguing this show, especially the main one : too many things, not enough time. This means a rushed story, not enough screentime for most characters, and concepts that aren't explored well enough. To summarize, a lot of wasted potential. And that's a real shame because this show had all the right ideas ! It's so interesting to use the world of Madoka Magica to tell this kind of story about magical girls who sacrificed everything for nothing, not even being remembered by those who aren't a part of it ! It's such a great idea to show them desperatly try to fight against their fate ! But it needed more time. It was too ambitious for its own good.

I'm not saying I disliked it, I had a good time watching it, some scenes got me quite emotional or at the very least touched me, as I said I find the ideas to be great and I even got attached to some characters (mainly Iroha, Yachiyo, Kuroe, Touka and Nemu) ! It was also nice to explore this world differently and even if it felt more like fanservice than anything else, I was glad to see the Holy Quintet in a different story !
It really just could've been more but often fell flat due to not developing its concepts well enough.

While I watched a let's play of a few chapters of the game, I have no idea how it ends so I hope it took more its time to tell its story as it should be told.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Final Season - Asaki Yume no Akatsuki Episode 1 Discussion

tsubasalover - Apr 3, 2022

21 by Blueckot »»
Mar 31, 12:21 AM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Final Season - Asaki Yume no Akatsuki Episode 2 Discussion

18 by Blueckot »»
Mar 31, 12:12 AM

Poll: » Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica Gaiden (TV) Final Season - Asaki Yume no Akatsuki Episode 3 Discussion

16 by Hagacchi »»
Feb 16, 2:06 PM

» End credits scene confusion

redpanda_42 - Oct 7, 2023

3 by Mybussycindyitsb »»
Oct 9, 2023 6:59 PM

» Homura's magic

LeonLanford - Apr 24, 2022

3 by LeonLanford »»
Apr 25, 2022 4:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.