Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 23, 2022 10:43 PM

Jun 2015
Regardless of the type, how likely is it that you pay close attention to details when watching anime in general? and why do you think it is better to "Pay more attention" | "Pay less attention?

I'm not expecting responses like "Depends on the show." or "Depends on my mood." No shit, Sherlock! I'm asking about your 'default' general approach.

Example of argument for paying more attention:
  1. Paying more attention to anime is a sign of appreciation for the art form. Furthermore, many people, including MAL, believe that many anime did not receive the attention they deserved, whether due to the subtlety of the show or hidden messages that are very important aspects. It is also necessary to be more attentive when watching anime in order to provide a critical evaluation or a legitimate review of the work. Therefore, I believe that people should generally pay more attention to the anime they watch.

Example of argument for paying less attention:
  2. Some people watch anime to unwind after a long day or to take their mind off other things. Furthermore, in some cases, paying more attention can actually detract from the enjoyment of your experience, owing to the fact that you will notice more flaws than when you are inattentive. After all, watching anime is a good way to forget about life's stresses. What's the point of trying and hoping to find hidden messages in anime? Which is unlikely to move you in the first place. There's nothing wrong with the mindless entertainment approach; it's preferable to being a hopeless critic who even criticises anime like DBZ-like battle shonens for their narrative when the point of such shows is obviously pure visual entertainment, which mostly are. Therefore, I believe that people should generally pay less attention to the anime they watch.

Finally, a honourable mention of the respected anime director; Mamoru Oshii, who wrote about his personal thoughts on the matter.
Mar 23, 2022 10:47 PM

Mar 2020
It depends on the show and it depends on my mood.
Mar 23, 2022 10:51 PM

Jan 2021
Nowadays, I watch anime with a clear head. It's not comfortable to watch it when something weighs on your head.
Mar 23, 2022 10:55 PM

Oct 2021
You can't put 'default' general approach to a human, they are more complex than your anime character.

So yeah, It depends on the show and it depends on my mood.
Mar 23, 2022 11:11 PM
Twintail Expert

Feb 2019
I guess paying less attention because you describe paying more attention as being a critic, which is not something I like. But I don't like the implication of "paying less attention" either.

but more importantly
how is it possible for it to not depend on the show or your mood? not just a little bit, but entirely
Mar 23, 2022 11:15 PM

Sep 2020
I usually pay "normal" attention when watching, sometimes I notice details but sometimes I don't.
Mar 23, 2022 11:20 PM

Feb 2019
I personally like to pay all my attention to whatever I am watching no matter what it is.
If I miss one line or a few words I usually go back to re read it cause I need to know everything. I've tried watching more casually and laidback but feel like I'm missing something if I accidentally miss a line.

『ᴅᴇᴍᴏɴ-ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴊᴜᴅɢᴇ ᴏꜰ ꜰɪʀᴇ』

Then her jaw slackened as she muttered out.
[I... am the bi◼️?]

☽ † ☾
- ᴅᴇʟɪᴠᴇʀɪᴇꜱ
- ꜱɪɢ ᴍᴀᴅᴇ ʙʏ ʜᴜᴍᴀɴᴛᴡɪɢ

Mar 23, 2022 11:23 PM

Jun 2015
_FRB_ said:
I guess paying less attention because you describe paying more attention as being a critic, which is not something I like. But I don't like the implication of "paying less attention" either.

but more importantly
how is it possible for it to not depend on the show or your mood? not just a little bit, but entirely

What if you were not even sure what type of a show it is while watching it? Will you likely to:
A. (switch from attentive to inattentive)? or B. (switch from inattentive to attentive)?
If A then you are generally inattentive, if B then you are generally attentive.
Mar 23, 2022 11:39 PM

Jun 2021
I usually pay attention in watching anime, whether the art, music, dialogues, etc. It makes it better for me to understand what's the background or the story itself. But sometimes I don't dig too much into it.
Mar 23, 2022 11:42 PM

Apr 2018
For me paying attention means watching at a normal speed.

Mar 24, 2022 1:17 AM

May 2021
I think it mainly depends on the show and depend on my mood
Mar 24, 2022 1:39 AM
Jan 2021
Bro it literally depends on the show, for example why would I pay more attention to a comedy show or less to dialogue heavy shows like Monogatari cause of my "default" approach?
Mar 24, 2022 1:59 AM

May 2018
"Paying attention when watching anime?"

I am watching anime in order to chill out...so paying much attention will ruin my experience.

Example of my lack of focus - it took me 2/3 of Uchouten Kazoku to realize that it was Yajirou (the "frog") who transformed into tramcar in the night of his father's death...and it's very central and important information which was mentioned early on and I missed it.
alshuMar 24, 2022 2:54 AM
Mar 24, 2022 2:04 AM

Dec 2018
To me, anime, like most media is meant for immersion. Forcing yourself to pay attention to the smaller details will make you lose sight of a show's real goal
Stuff in the streets, Stuff with drip in the sheets
Mar 24, 2022 2:12 AM

Feb 2015
people should not take anime that seriously. Just treat it like any other entertainment and pay attention on more important things (taking a bath, going outside, making relationships, having a good job). Unless your job is a media critic, then taking media like anime seriously is not worth it. Better spend your energy on things that are productive.

Deago said:

Finally, a honourable mention of the respected anime director; Mamoru Oshii, who wrote about his personal thoughts on the matter.

This is quite true. The movie theater is definitely part of the cinematic experience, it is what the producers, director, and staff intended, people should pay attention on the film and not do anything else. TV shows do not consider this as essential so they usually don't bother making their shows as good as films, as it's costly and people who watch TV are usually not that invested anyway. Also, filmgoers are compelled to take the film in theaters seriously because first of all, they paid for it. I just don't agree with Oshii that these cinematic elements are a bother, perhaps it's just him because he's too old to enjoy loud stuff now, the vitality it gives reminds him of his senility.
JomsMar 24, 2022 2:25 AM
Mar 24, 2022 2:44 AM

Mar 2016
Paying attention is my general choice because that should be. Missing some important details when watching isn't fun

Mar 24, 2022 2:45 AM

Sep 2018
Pay less attention when watching anime (your vote)

I voted this because every shit that gets too metaphorical is an utter failure at entertainment (to me, I know that everyone's taste is different). It's the anime itself that must catch my attention with interesting writing, visuals and sound; I shouldn't have to force myself just to figure out your goddamn symbolism. A great message isn't worth much, if reading a summary is more enjoyable that actually watching the anime.
Mar 24, 2022 2:52 AM

Sep 2008
100% pay more attention in every way.
if I watch live action, I only need to stare while my ears absorb all the info. it takes about half of my attention. given it's in english.
with anime I'm trying to memorize the language, read the subtitle to understand it, and watch the anime itself, paying attention to the animation.
if I miss something I rewind. if I see a cool action scene I watch it again, frame by frame.
I can't understand those who use anime as background noise. the "unwind" type of shows just bore me unless they try being funny.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Mar 24, 2022 3:28 AM

Jun 2015
nyugvo6 said:
100% pay more attention in every way.
if I watch live action, I only need to stare while my ears absorb all the info. it takes about half of my attention. given it's in english.
with anime I'm trying to memorize the language, read the subtitle to understand it, and watch the anime itself, paying attention to the animation.
if I miss something I rewind. if I see a cool action scene I watch it again, frame by frame.
I can't understand those who use anime as background noise. the "unwind" type of shows just bore me unless they try being funny.

You are so invested in anime, I like your style. I also relate to the 'frame by frame' and pausing, which I usually do with sakuga scenes, but it's also funny how you can sometimes catch some animation small mistakes; here are a few examples:

Instant eyebrows movement.

Dog losing his beard.

Yellow guy stuck in hand suddenly vanishes and reappears.

Mar 24, 2022 3:54 AM

Jul 2021
Paying more attention, especially the fabric movements like those small flips & turns on clothes and hair when an Anime character walks. I like to observe those small details cause sometimes those are what really matters.
Mar 24, 2022 4:09 AM

May 2021
I usually try to do so tho it would be best if the anime actually makes me invested so that it becomes an enjoyable experience.

Mar 24, 2022 5:45 AM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
I try to pay attention but of course I won't be trying to see hidden message or trying to think too deep about the plot, just don't want to miss anything important from the show.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Mar 24, 2022 6:00 AM

Feb 2021
Pay more attention when watching anime (your vote)
If I pay atention, then i feel like I'm enjoying it more. Also low mean score dosen't mean that I'm not enjoying anime.
If I watch anime critcally, then I can tell other people why this or that anime is good or worth watching.
Mar 24, 2022 6:16 AM

Jul 2012
I'd argue the labels on these 2 categories are not entirely reflective of actual viewing qualities.
For example I'd argue the "paying less attention" box is much more reflective of a person who is immersed in the show where a person who is "paying more attention" is disconnected from the show.

A person who is immersed will be more focused on the characters, interactions, story telling because if something breaks that immersion than it will be reflective on the quality of those front and center features. They may miss things like background music if it blends well or background features that aren't important to the central focus but it's not always indicated by a lack of attentiveness their attentiveness may be hyper focused on the front and center features.

A person who is disconnected will be less interested in those aspects but may be more focused on technical aspects. They may never grow any attachment to characters even for shows they tend to enjoy because they're focused more on technical aspects such as the animation, background scenes or use of music and sound design.

Regarding the poll I'd rather see people be more immersed in the content they watch and have the ability to establish connections to the characters or the story instead of looking for technical nitpicks.
Mar 24, 2022 8:08 AM

Aug 2020
I know it's not the answer you want, but it DOES depend on the show. I watch different genres for different moods, and depending on that, my approach to a show differs.
If I watch a detective show, or some grand fantasy adventure or high-stakes thriller, of course I pay a lot of attention, I might even rewind and pause or take notes to keep track of all the information, study the maps and character's plans, fact-check stuff in the background, and so on.

If I watch a sports anime while working out or some cute slice of life thing to unwind, even if I miss a scene and don't know why characters are doing something now, it's usually pretty irrelevant anyways, they are gonna do something cute (or hype, for sports) now and that's what matters.

One thing I never do though, regardless of genre, is picking apart animation and music direction and the like. That ruins the entire experience, because you stop consuming the product in its intended way. It's like going to a restaurant and instead of enjoying the meal, you just pick it apart and scientifically analyze it. Fuck that. If that's the kind of "paying attention" you mean, then I wish everyone who does it to learn to actually enjoy things.
Mar 24, 2022 8:11 AM

Feb 2020
Pay more attention when watching anime (your vote)
Mar 24, 2022 8:19 AM
Jun 2016
There's no point in watching anime if you don't pay attention.
Mar 24, 2022 8:22 AM

May 2020
I haven't watched any longer shows in ages, but currently I've been watching Urusei Yatsura, and it feels like the perfect kind of show to watch before bed, cause there are no problems if you don't pay that much attention to a particular episode, with its episodic structure. And on top of that, some episodes are just a lot more enjoyable than others. Overall though, I definitely think you should pay attention when watching anime (definitely depends on the show though).
Don't mind me,
just passing by...
Mar 24, 2022 8:41 AM

Oct 2016
I try to pay as much attention as possible, but coming from me that doesn't mean much.
Mar 24, 2022 9:10 AM

Jul 2021
I think it just depends on the show or depends on my mood. Lol jokes aside I usually try to pay close attention to what I'm watching since I watch anime alone when I'm free. I feel like I'll miss smth important if I look away for just a sec. Same thing happens to me during gaming. T-T
Mar 24, 2022 9:30 AM

Jun 2012
If a show doesn't warrant my undivided attention, it's not a show worth watching. If I'm going to have to read subtitles, it has to be worth my time.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Mar 24, 2022 10:31 AM

Jul 2017
In a more general sense, I would pick Option 1. Paying a good amount of attention when watching anime is more ideal than paying very little attention, especially for people who write reviews. But, I also can’t force people to pay more attention if they don’t want to.

I do suspect that most people subconsciously pay a good amount of attention to what they’re watching by default. Most people who fit option 2’s descriptions, probably pay more attention than they actually realize.

Personally, I don’t pay attention for the purpose of showing appreciation though. I try to focus on details simply because I want to get a good understanding of what I’m watching.
Mar 24, 2022 10:47 AM

Sep 2019
Paying attention doesn't have to mean having your eyes glued to the screen every single passing second while also taking down notes at the same time...anyway I'll still pick option 1 as other option is kind of redundant if you're not going to bother giving it the time of day, just go do something else at that point.
Mar 24, 2022 11:33 AM

Jun 2017
If i'm into the series, i can watch it and pay attention the whole time. But sometimes a series is boring at times and my mind wanders.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Mar 24, 2022 11:37 AM
Dec 2021
I usually don't pay full attention as I have other really hot and sexy stuff to do like mathematics and sciences.
Mar 24, 2022 1:42 PM

Feb 2021
I really try to pay as much attention to every small detail as much as possible watching anything but I get easily sidetracked when I overthink something so much so it never really works
Mar 24, 2022 1:49 PM

Aug 2019
I’d probably go with paying more attention if I had to choose, seeing as I don’t do anything else when watching anime
Mar 27, 2022 1:30 AM
Mar 2022
I have a hard time binging shows, because i'm so easily distracted.
Mar 27, 2022 1:38 AM

Jun 2015
I used to pay close attention but nowadays I'm doing less attention. Unless I just happen to REALLY like the show, like AOT or Kaguya. But usually I'm playing anime while also doing some other shit like crocheting
Mar 27, 2022 6:42 AM

May 2016
whenever someone says they watch anime in the background while doing smth else my brain is just unable to comprehend it, impossible for me to understand, either u care enough to watch it or drop it if it's cheeks
Mar 27, 2022 7:30 AM

Feb 2020
You don't want for a "depends on the show/my mood" kind of answer, but how can it be otherwise ? Obviously no one will pay the same attention to a comedy and a psychological show.
I think anime can both be enjoyed as a way to relax and an art form, but not the same shows can fulfill those needs. So when it comes to light-hearted shows I don't pay much attention because I do not need to to start with. I'm not saying I don't pay any attention but I'm not heavily focusing on everything that's going on. That's why I'm watching them, I want to relax and turn my brain off and that's exactly what I can get with them.

But for more complex shows (not even particularly deep ones but just those with a real plot), I don't really have a choice but to pay attention if I want to enjoy it to the fullest. If I don't then I'm confused about what's going on and I consequently don't enjoy the experience because I'm too busy trying to catch up on aspects I've overlooked episodes ago (but when I reach this point that's actually because I don't really like the show to start with).

And about paying full attention to the point of noticing even the smallest details... I'm gonna say it : it depends. It depends on how much I like the show and am willing to make the effort to grasp everything, to the point it's no longer an effort but a game. Because I do believe that paying attention to every detail is important if we want to fully appreciate something but not everything makes me want to do that.

So basically, there's no "default" approach because not every show demands the same amount of focus. Sometimes it's better to pay attention to everything, and sometimes it's completely useless to make that much effort because people who made this show didn't make it for you to scratch your head.
Mar 27, 2022 8:04 AM

Mar 2021
Nowadays im paying more attention when starting an anime. Whether or not that level of focus remained until the end is varied though
Mar 27, 2022 8:04 AM

Mar 2021
Nowadays im paying more attention when starting an anime. Whether or not that level of focus remained until the end is varied though
Mar 27, 2022 8:14 AM

Mar 2019
I am not gonna give cop out answers like "it depends".

If I have no time to watch anime, I don't watch anime. Easy. If I have a job to do, I would rather do the job. Anime is my leisure time, I am not getting anything if I don't enjoy it, and get fully immersed into watching it.

Anime was it's best 20000 years ago, when cavemen drew art with real depth.
Modern anime is all garbage. I miss great old days of anime.
Mar 27, 2022 8:30 AM

May 2020
I'm not analysing the anime I'm watching. I pay attention of what happening ofc. I like seeing the funny scenes, the characters appearence, the scenery. If I'm not paying attention then why watching it in the first place?
Mar 27, 2022 8:32 AM

Sep 2008
Deago said:

You are so invested in anime, I like your style. I also relate to the 'frame by frame' and pausing, which I usually do with sakuga scenes, but it's also funny how you can sometimes catch some animation small mistakes;

indeed! animation errors are a lot of fun.
https://youtu.be/THgtPqjO89Y?t=35 timestamped. technically she's a robot so it's within the realm of possibility, but it still made me howl with laughter. beatless was a qualityfest regardless. if you want to laugh at badly animated characters I recommend it. the zombie episodes were priceless.
I also like intentionally bad stuff, like the last few eps of animegataris where the world fell apart.
there are also a few animators who like to hide things in their works.
https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/149738 at 0:51 there's an impact frame with a flamingo on it.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Jun 18, 2022 9:33 PM
Jul 2018
Pay more attention when watching anime (your vote).

More topics from this board

» when introducing yourself to someone new how likely is "I watch anime" to get them interested in you?

Coldsp33d - Today

29 by luckyrune »»
17 seconds ago

» How much anime is too much

ST63LTH - Today

39 by SuperAdventure »»
26 minutes ago

» What exactly are the perks of having waifu?

SgtBateMan - Today

35 by FanofAction »»
36 minutes ago

» Opinions on the state of the BL genre? ( 1 2 )

decco6226 - May 2

75 by Lucifrost »»
41 minutes ago

» who was your first/best anime waifu?

Coldsp33d - Today

27 by SuperAdventure »»
43 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.