Forum Settings
Forums

What old Anime you wish others have watched more?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Mar 19, 2022 3:53 PM

Mar 2017
R.O.D Read or Die, from 2001, is one of my favorites and used to get mentioned fairly often but gradually less more recently. It has a sequel, R.O.D the TV, which is also pretty good if not quite as much so as the original, but as a 2003 release it's not quite outside the 20 year old window the OP had requested.
A møøse once bit my sister...
Mar 19, 2022 4:54 PM

Feb 2016

That is a fantastic analysis of the story.
その目だれの目?
Mar 19, 2022 5:17 PM

Mar 2019
Definitely Lotgh. I've watched a few old shows but I really enjoyed ginga. My friends won't watch it because old + long, a bit sad.

𝔏𝔦𝔰𝔱𝔢𝔫 𝔱𝔬 𝔞𝔫𝔦𝔪𝔢 𝔢𝔡𝔰!
Mar 19, 2022 9:12 PM
May 2017
Lucifrost said:
almightybismarck said:
Might be fixed one day since a lot of licensor studios are eager to buy old works with recent popularity boom.

The manga and anime are both out of print due to a disagreement between the author and illustrator. Candy Candy used to be popular in a number of countries, but the creators will probably have to die before it can be licensed again.
If it's because of the author then it will no doubt be fixed after his/her death.
Mar 19, 2022 9:14 PM
May 2017
ColourWheel said:
Ultimately I think Every Anime Fan should watch "Robot Carnival" at least once in their life so they can understand the beauty of traditional anime at its best before studios stopped using Cels.

"Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" is a title that eventually got over shadowed by the release of "Akira". Sadly "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" is a title that is becoming more forgotten as time goes by in western fandom.

I also think every user should sit down and watch the entire series of "Agent Aika" and "Najica Blitz Tactics". So western fandom can shut up and stop complaining about fanservice in todays Anime. It will give them quite the perspective of how tame a random panty scene is in your average Anime series.

I agree with you. Nausicaa was not done justice compare to how good it is.
Mar 19, 2022 9:23 PM
May 2017
Hail_Lelouch said:
Well I haven't watched any unpopular old anime, but already have Rurouni Kenshin in the watchlist
It's getting a remake so it's on the safe zone.
Mar 19, 2022 9:25 PM
May 2017
MibuKyou said:
Utena
Mugen no ryvius
Patlabor
Fushigi yuugi
Wolf rain
Ashita no joe
Zeta gundam
08 ms team gundam
Saint seiya
Votoms
Inuyasha
Vision of escaflowne

They deserve more attention
That's a nice list you got there.
[30 characters]
Mar 19, 2022 9:33 PM
May 2017
This Muumintroll look very cute.
[30 characters]
Mar 20, 2022 12:22 AM
May 2017
Jellybeanx said:
SAINT SEIYA !!! It is my bias. The most beautiful soundtrack, mythology, and sadness. The father of battle shounen and power of friendship ! lol
Apart from Latin America I don't remember it shine anywhere.
Mar 20, 2022 12:43 AM
May 2017
mwalimu said:
ColourWheel said:

If you noticed what I said, it's western fandom that seems to forget old classics like they are out of style fads. "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" was popular worldwide but "Akira" still did eventually over shadow it in the west.

Just the fact that over twice as many users have participated in scoring "Akira" over "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" is telling enough on MAL.

The initial western release of "Nausicaa" was a hack job under the title "Warriors of the Wind" that cut more than 20 minutes from the film, in addition to changing all the character names, and promoting it with poster/cover art that featured three male characters who don't even appear in the film. This treatment is what drove Studio Ghibli to adopt an international licensing policy of no cuts, and no changing character names. Nowadays you seldom see character names changed in international/western releases and I sometimes wonder if it would be a lot more common if it hadn't been for Studio Ghibli taking a stand 30+ years ago.

Holy sh!t that is one way to butcher a simple job.
Mar 20, 2022 12:53 AM

Sep 2008
I want to say watch anything that catches your eyes. ANYTHING. you'll guaranteed to have fun. just do it.
my personal favorites:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1811 bounty dog
https://myanimelist.net/anime/3461 ellcia
https://myanimelist.net/anime/2099 Silent Möbius
https://myanimelist.net/anime/2068 Gaiarth
https://myanimelist.net/anime/420 Spriggan
https://myanimelist.net/anime/434 Legend of Lemnear
https://myanimelist.net/anime/3882 Cyguard
https://myanimelist.net/anime/2291 Iczer-1
https://myanimelist.net/anime/1342 Violence Jack: Evil Town
I can't guarantee you'll enjoy them as much as I did, but I tried to pick entries others might not know about or wouldn't recommend.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Mar 20, 2022 1:09 AM
Jul 2018
I have a few to recommend- Akira, Vampire Hunter D, Trigun and Cowboy Bepop.

Initial D- although its last season was in 2012, the series started in 1999. you might enjoy it and continue to watch all the other seasons.

you might find an interest in watching Get Backers.

Others may recommend Great Teacher Onizuka (G.T.O) because of the story and main character. Not too bad I guess.
removed-userMar 20, 2022 1:20 AM
Mar 20, 2022 1:13 AM
Jul 2018
nyugvo6 said:
I want to say watch anything that catches your eyes. ANYTHING. you'll guaranteed to have fun. just do it.
my personal favorites:
I can't guarantee you'll enjoy them as much as I did, but I tried to pick entries others might not know about or wouldn't recommend.

I am looking forward to watching the newer version of Spriggan. What are your thoughts on the modern version of the series? Do you strongly recommend watching the old version?
Mar 20, 2022 1:45 AM
May 2017
TerribleJokeHere said:
Giant Robo the Animation and GaoGaiGar.

Maybe if it had aired on TV on early 2000s it might have been more popular.
Mar 20, 2022 1:47 AM
May 2017
Thunderbird227 said:
Haibane Renmei came out in 2002 and it's such a relaxing but also tense story about regret, acceptance, and finding your own path that I love so much. It's not for everyone, but the nostalgic SoL elements always feel cathartic to me.

It's from the same person who made Texhnolyze who it might have the sad feels in the end.
Mar 20, 2022 1:52 AM
Jan 2021
Mobile Suit Gundam series definitely :)
Mar 20, 2022 2:08 AM

Nov 2020
There's a neat 2 episode OVA called Otaku no Video which parodies Gainax's founding & provides some interviews with weebs back in the 80's/90's which I think is really cool. Doesn't get talked about at all.
Mar 20, 2022 2:51 AM

Sep 2008
therefore-I-AM said:

I am looking forward to watching the newer version of Spriggan. What are your thoughts on the modern version of the series? Do you strongly recommend watching the old version?

Since you've just recommended Akira, you might enjoy the Spriggan movie as well.
There are a lot of similarities for better or worse, including the insane animation and poor story structure.
I've heard the original movie was a mix of various ideas taken from the source material, mixed together.
Spriggan didn't aim to adapt the entire manga however, and it doesn't want to be more than a 90s action movie with some supernatural elements.
I feel netflix is trying to ride the fame of the movie, but they're missing the point since it will be full cg.
If you want a more complete story wait for the netflix one, but I think the movie is worth experiencing.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Mar 20, 2022 3:18 AM
Jul 2018
nyugvo6 said:

Since you've just recommended Akira, you might enjoy the Spriggan movie as well.
There are a lot of similarities for better or worse, including the insane animation and poor story structure.
I've heard the original movie was a mix of various ideas taken from the source material, mixed together.
Spriggan didn't aim to adapt the entire manga however, and it doesn't want to be more than a 90s action movie with some supernatural elements.
I feel netflix is trying to ride the fame of the movie, but they're missing the point since it will be full cg.
If you want a more complete story wait for the netflix one, but I think the movie is worth experiencing.

Thanks. I will watch the movie then.
Mar 20, 2022 4:06 AM

Sep 2020
almightybismarck said:
Jellybeanx said:
SAINT SEIYA !!! It is my bias. The most beautiful soundtrack, mythology, and sadness. The father of battle shounen and power of friendship ! lol

It was pretty big in Japan and some European countries such as France and Italy.
Mar 20, 2022 5:33 AM
May 2017
Zech_TearZ said:
There's a neat 2 episode OVA called Otaku no Video which parodies Gainax's founding & provides some interviews with weebs back in the 80's/90's which I think is really cool. Doesn't get talked about at all.

Everyone should watch that. It basically explained the early Otaku generations.
Mar 20, 2022 6:08 AM
May 2017
ColourWheel said:
mwalimu said:

The initial western release of "Nausicaa" was a hack job under the title "Warriors of the Wind" that cut more than 20 minutes from the film, in addition to changing all the character names, and promoting it with poster/cover art that featured three male characters who don't even appear in the film. This treatment is what drove Studio Ghibli to adopt an international licensing policy of no cuts, and no changing character names. Nowadays you seldom see character names changed in international/western releases and I sometimes wonder if it would be a lot more common if it hadn't been for Studio Ghibli taking a stand 30+ years ago.

This reminds me when I 1st saw an Arcade game back in the 80s called "Cliff Hanger". I was at a mall arcade in Colorado at the time and noticed "Lupin the 3rd" was in a videogame but no where on the arcade cabinet did it mention "Lupin the 3rd". They simply called the main character "Cliff". lol

What come to their mind when they sh!t these ideas out?
Mar 20, 2022 6:24 AM

Jul 2015
Jellybeanx said:
almightybismarck said:

It was pretty big in Japan and some European countries such as France and Italy.

Definitely was huge in France. The hype was dying in early 90s, when I started watching cartoons.
Mar 20, 2022 6:30 AM
Jul 2018
mwalimu said:
R.O.D Read or Die, from 2001, is one of my favorites and used to get mentioned fairly often but gradually less more recently. It has a sequel, R.O.D the TV, which is also pretty good if not quite as much so as the original, but as a 2003 release it's not quite outside the 20 year old window the OP had requested.

I will soon / that year, I think. Someone described it to me as "library action lesbians" and now I'm hooked haha.
Mar 20, 2022 6:57 AM

Jul 2007
I wish more people watched Dragon Ball Z lol kamehameha!!
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Mar 20, 2022 11:06 AM

Mar 2016
Welcome to NHK so people can learn to not become like the mc.

just wanna feel wanted by someone other than the police 😫
Mar 20, 2022 12:40 PM
Jul 2018
I wouldn't consider it 'old' but Eve no Jikan is super underrated for how good it actually is.
Mar 20, 2022 12:42 PM

Nov 2017
Dirty Pair and You're Under Arrest are two that come to mind right now
Mar 20, 2022 2:14 PM
Aug 2016
almightybismarck said:
tristin1360 said:
The dub to Garzeys Wing is a masterpiece that needs to be watched by everyone, also i don't hear people talk about Golden Boy anymore which is sad.
I was going to watch it. Since, you said it I will look at the dub instead.
If you watch Garzeys Wing i strongly think you need to watch the dub, it's on the level of the ghost stories dub just not intentional, it's so bad its a hilarious masterpiece.
Mar 20, 2022 7:44 PM
Jul 2018
unoriginal answer: Legend of galactic hero
Mar 20, 2022 7:58 PM

Mar 2018
-LOTGH
-Patlabor series
-Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex
-Serial Experiments Lain
-12 Kingdoms
-Akage no Anne
-Noir
-The Leijiverse series

.....and many more

Like...C'mon anime community!!
Mar 20, 2022 9:05 PM
May 2017
Slimsith said:
ColourWheel said:
Ultimately I think Every Anime Fan should watch "Robot Carnival" at least once in their life so they can understand the beauty of traditional anime at its best before studios stopped using Cels.

Robot Carnival is a musical masterpiece, with perfect animation to go alongside the visuals, the short stories and the theme of robots used. To this day, there's been nothing like it and remains one of my favorites, it just sucks that the video quality on "Uknow" sites is really low. I still wish I had the VHS copy.

Anyway, people should check out The Guyver and the manga is still ongoing, but MAL won't tell you that.

Just the OVA's from 1989-1991

It's your 1 man army versus a monster making corporation.

The 2005 TV series granted is the same, but the OVA's had art closer to the manga.

It's nothing special except that the it's better than the TV series which got only a small bit further than the OVA's.

Anyway, that's my annoying contribution.

Guyver design looks amazing.
[30 characters]
Mar 20, 2022 9:15 PM

Feb 2016
almightybismarck said:
Thunderbird227 said:
Haibane Renmei came out in 2002 and it's such a relaxing but also tense story about regret, acceptance, and finding your own path that I love so much. It's not for everyone, but the nostalgic SoL elements always feel cathartic to me.

It's from the same person who made Texhnolyze who it might have the sad feels in the end.

Unlike Texhnolyze, Haibane Renmei is good. The only similarity is the art.
その目だれの目?
Mar 20, 2022 9:17 PM
May 2017
_-_Sally_-_ said:
Akazukin Chacha. It's one of the best things ever, but most people in North America are unaware of its existence, as it was never released over here.

Lucifrost said:
The legal issues surrounding Candy Candy are disappointing. The only way to watch it anywhere is through piracy..

That's true. Candy Candy is another great anime that everyone should watch. I finally got around to watching it last month, and it's one of the best anime I've ever seen.
Just by looking at Akazukin Chacha it remind me of many of my childhood shows.
Mar 20, 2022 9:21 PM
May 2017
Trypo said:
Galaxy Express 999 and Patalliro.

I would like it if westeners knew about it more.
Galaxy Express 999 is something I have high expectation on.
Mar 20, 2022 9:29 PM
May 2017
Grendizer_ said:
oh the usual coming from me...

VOTOMS (including all spin offs or sequels)

Hokuto no Ken / Fist of the North Star
[Series + all else within the I.P.]

Souten no ken / Fist of the Blue Sky
[Original & Regenesis 2 Season show]

GRENDIZER
JEEG ROBO
MAZINGER Z
GETTAR ROBO
GETTAR ROBO G
DAIMOS

Bubblegum Crisis
Bubblegum Crash
AD POLICE Files
Riding Bean
Gunsmith Cats
Angel Cop
Ninja Scroll
Dagger of Kamui
YOMA: Curse of the Dead
AREA 88 (OVAs & Movie)
Dirty Pair (Original series, OVA & Movies)
Aura Battler DUNBINE
Crusher Joe
Space Pirate Captain Harlock
Arcadia of my Youth (Harlock movie)
Endless Orbit SSX (Harlock follow up to movie)
Galaxy Express 999 (Series & Movies)
SDF MACROSS
STAR BLAZERS (Space Battleship Yamato)
[3 Series, movies, etc.)

VENUS WARS
MEGAZONE 23
Space Adventure COBRA
Genesis Climber MOSPEADA
Mobile Suit GUNDAM
[All U.C. stories]

Urusei Yatusra
Ranma 1/2
Wicked City
Thunderbirds 2086
GOLGO 13 Movie
Sonic Soldier BORGMAN

...just off the top of my head.

You just listed all classics that aren't talked today. Nice list.
Mar 20, 2022 9:35 PM
May 2017
Jamison2210 said:
Kodomo no Omocha is an actually good shoujo anime
Look like a fun romance Anime.
[30 Characters]
Mar 20, 2022 9:54 PM

May 2021
From all the old anime I've seen so far, I'd say Perfect Blue, Akira, and the berserk 1997.

I know these three are popular but I think they need more attention.
Mar 20, 2022 11:00 PM

May 2015
almightybismarck said:
Trypo said:
Galaxy Express 999 and Patalliro.

I would like it if westeners knew about it more.

Yes!! It is my all time favorite anime series. The leijiverse in general is amazing. All of his works are loved in Japan but out here it isn't really the same which I understand since casual anime watchers arent going to look at old anime for fun etc but its the best decision i ever made. i originally watched it out of curiosity and now im still a hardcore fan :)
My Candies:
Mar 20, 2022 11:32 PM

Oct 2008
I think these deserve the attention:

Juuni Kokuki
Hajime no Ippo
Mar 20, 2022 11:32 PM

Jan 2022
almightybismarck said:

You just listed all classics that aren't talked today. Nice list.

I TRY to keep it real. I left out about 30 other titles, but that's what generally comes to mind right off the bat. Bloody shame that the modern anime fan (Usually) can't be arsed to watch anything that far back anymore, but in mid age I'm watching modern stuff as well as re-watching the old stuff and even watching a lot of old stuff for the first time I just couldn't get my hands on in a lot of cases. I mean heck, it took me until 2022 to get my hands on a properly English Subtitled box set of GRENDIZER, as all that had been available most of my life was the chopped up 26 episode "Grandizer" of Force Five.

Trypo said:
almightybismarck said:

Yes!! It is my all time favorite anime series. The leijiverse in general is amazing. All of his works are loved in Japan but out here it isn't really the same which I understand since casual anime watchers arent going to look at old anime for fun etc but its the best decision i ever made. i originally watched it out of curiosity and now im still a hardcore fan :)

I am SO GLAD whenever I run into fellow Leiji Matsumoto fans. HELL YEAH!

Mar 20, 2022 11:39 PM
Feb 2021
Basilisk: Kouga Ninpou Chou - 2005

I was looking for a historical anime and someone recommended it to me. I was pleasantly surprised in a good way from the anime. It contains quite a lot of gore so beware. The art style is very unique so it may be too unusual for some people but overall one of the 3 anime that I have rated with a 9 (my highest score number).
Mar 21, 2022 5:40 AM

Dec 2021
angel's egg, so much u can interpret from it
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
Mar 21, 2022 5:55 AM
May 2017
mwalimu said:

The animation looks very modern for something that came in 2001.
Mar 21, 2022 5:56 AM
May 2017
Elzombi47 said:
Definitely Lotgh. I've watched a few old shows but I really enjoyed ginga. My friends won't watch it because old + long, a bit sad.
People are reluctant to watch long stories because if they didn't like it would be a waste of time for them.
Mar 21, 2022 7:03 AM
May 2017
nyugvo6 said:
my personal favorites:

This is a unique list. Since, these are shows people barely known about while others are mostly classics who people don't watch anymore.
Mar 21, 2022 7:12 AM

Jan 2021
Original DragonBall, the comedy on the anime is great but most people start at Z
♪ 𝒜 𝓈𝑜𝓃𝑔 𝒾𝓈 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝓂𝓊𝒸𝒽 𝓉𝒾𝓂𝑒 𝓉𝑜 𝓈𝒽𝑜𝓌
𝐻𝑜𝓌 𝒷𝑒𝒶𝓊𝓉𝒾𝒻𝓊𝓁 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝒶𝓇𝑒
𝐵𝓊𝓉 𝐼 𝓌𝒾𝓁𝓁 𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒶 𝓈𝑜𝓃𝑔 𝓉𝑜 𝓎𝑜𝓊𝓇 𝒽𝑒𝒶𝓇𝓉
𝐼 𝒹𝑜𝓃'𝓉 𝓀𝓃𝑜𝓌 𝓌𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝐼 𝓈𝒽𝑜𝓊𝓁𝒹 𝑔𝒾𝓋𝑒
𝒪𝓇 𝓌𝒽𝒶𝓉 𝐼'𝓂 𝓉𝑜 𝓈𝒾𝓃𝑔
𝒜𝓁𝓁 𝐼 𝒸𝒶𝓃 𝒹𝑜 𝒾𝓈 𝑔𝒾𝓋𝑒 𝓎𝑜𝓊 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓈
𝒜𝓃𝒹 𝓁𝑒𝓉 𝓂𝓎 𝒽𝑒𝒶𝓇𝓉 𝓅𝓁𝒶𝓎 ♪
Mar 21, 2022 7:27 AM

Jun 2015
That will be Kerokko Demetan 1973. Old and obscure on indeed.
Mar 21, 2022 7:35 AM

May 2021
golden boy

Pixel_Vapour said:
I wish more people watched Ashita no Joe. Season 2 was really ahead of it's time.

i'd watch it but i really can't take the art & animation of the time

maybe reading it sometime

best signature
Mar 21, 2022 7:40 AM

Mar 2020
Master keaton, with less than 5000 people having watched it on MAL it really is a hidden gem
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Shouldn't Streaming Service be charging for Subtitles to keep up with cost?

Dragevard - 7 hours ago

15 by Zarutaku »»
40 seconds ago

» Upcoming anime which might touch No.1 ranking on MAL (Prediction)

ZXEAN - Mar 27

44 by Eleben »»
2 minutes ago

» Can background characters be best girls?

Catalano - Yesterday

19 by ST63LTH »»
2 minutes ago

» Anime that reignited your passion for watching

Cammell - Yesterday

13 by ST63LTH »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » anime is trash and so am i

deg - Yesterday

29 by ST63LTH »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.