Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 10, 2021 5:58 AM

Jul 2017
Yu lost her bet, and she's integrated into the New-Gen Dream Monkeys team where she received a warm welcome, and a request from her fellow Kushiro Snow White coach-cum-friend.

Manaka looks like she's just carrying the entire team on her own in motivation, but at least the girls are following...with Coach Yoko. They're peas on a pod while the other girls just stare in bewilderment.

At long last, it's the Nikko Dream Monkeys' debut, and their first friendly practice game is with the Ice Bucks. Nice to admire people, but remember that they're your rivals first and foremost. Yu immediately showing off her ice hockey skills is good, but that individuality of pride and ego lead her to commit the same mistakes again. She cannot do things individually, but instead commit to teamwork with their whole "the bonds of our hearts connect the puck" motto.

They may have lost for a first, but it was a good experience.

The dreaded victory dance is here, and I just don't understand why the Uma Musume trope is needed here, it just seemed like an extra step to make some "uniqueness". But since this idea came from the fact that this show was a game adaptation to begin with, that's probably why.
KANLen09Nov 10, 2021 8:34 AM
Nov 10, 2021 7:28 AM

Feb 2020
Yu has some nice skills, but she can't do everything alone. She needs to trust her teammates.

Yay! A long-awaited idol performance. :D

SerafosNov 29, 2023 12:27 AM
Nov 10, 2021 7:29 AM

Apr 2014
Yuu should trust her teammates. Ice Hockey is a team sport, you can't win anything with a solo player.

woooowww.... The Uma Musume's victory dance at the end That's nice!!!!! They should do this idol dancing in every episode from now. It's time to find some lightstick for this anime.

何それ?意味分かんない
Nov 10, 2021 7:47 AM

Jul 2011
To be honest Yu just love the game, she learned from her past mistakes, great.

Was a lost, sure, but a lost with just 1 goal of difference is great evolution. Defense is holding.

The dance was just perfect, was fully 2D, dynamic choreography, with camera movement, and a great song. Just damn, people making this anime have heart.
Nov 10, 2021 8:32 AM

Apr 2010
Yu learned a valuable lesson during the game and it seems the coach of the rival team really cares about other teams as well, someone who truly cares about the sport.
Also the part with the grandmothers was nice, it's always a good thing the see friendships last like that.

The one thing i am wondering about are their sticks which are all in black, i remember them being from various brands and in all kinds of colours with in some cases pretty wild patterns on them.
It's something that stood out to me.
Nov 10, 2021 9:33 AM

Mar 2015
I've never been a fan of who coordinated idol-dance thing, but what they did at the end of this episode was pretty good.

Glad to see some development with Yu and the Team.
The sword that takes life gives life
Nov 10, 2021 11:47 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Kinda sad that they lost the match but they did a really try and we can clearly see an improvement, next time they'll be able to win I think, also that was nice to see an idol representation at the end xD
Nov 10, 2021 12:10 PM
Dec 2020
this was a satisfying episode, even if they lost just about, we saw development with the help of everyone around yu.
some people...
Nov 10, 2021 1:24 PM

May 2021
Great episode! That victory dance xD. Seems the ‘training’ was training for the dance lol.

Looking forward to the next episode!
AISHITERU...REM!
Nov 10, 2021 4:07 PM

Aug 2020
The realization of not trusting someone and the advice of the opponent coach was perfect. Nice episode and finally we got to see the first performance of Dream Monkeys!

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Nov 10, 2021 4:55 PM

Feb 2017
honestly yeah that idol performance at the end was really unnecessary and felt cringe to me tbh. at first i didnt really care that this was some sports x idol anime crossover but now after seeing this ep, i really wish it was just hockey and thats it.

like this victory dance (aka idol performance in disguise) was supposed to have occurred after their game? like they just got in some costumes and went out onto the ice to sing and dance? why was their choreography so good? those weren't the exact same moves they were doing as part of their stretches. were they practicing off-screen basically? how did they have so much energy after playing a whole entire game of hockey???

am i overthinking this

placeholder text
Nov 10, 2021 5:11 PM
May 2011
I'm glad everything worked out, but good on Riko for taking offense to Yu's strategy. She may not be as good as Yu (can't imagine many girls in the league are), but she has talent and experience, so her reaction makes sense. The scene also exhibits the flaw in Yu's drive and how amicable and trusting Manaka is. I really liked it.
Nov 10, 2021 7:47 PM

Nov 2011
The Idol thing was my biggest concern and they put that to rest. That song was a BANGER.

I want them to focus on an entire game as well because this episode was clean in terms of a hockey game. I loved it.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Nov 10, 2021 7:49 PM

Feb 2020
can't get angry at Yu for what happened. she's pretty much coming out of such a competitive league to come out and play with rookies. Anyways, the Yu/Manaka powerhouse seems to be just getting on its feet. i need more of it in the next games!

Victory dance looks incredibly smooth, but since when were they able to sing?!
Nov 10, 2021 9:54 PM

Jan 2020
The combo of the Hockey and Idol thing is still pretty surprising to me but I don't mind tbh. The song was nice and I was impressed by the animation for that scene

The parts with Yu were cool and I think she's my favorite of the series so far

Nov 11, 2021 4:51 AM

Oct 2016
Really good episode! I am really liking the show more and more as more episodes goes by. It's still pretty much a hockey anime through and through, the idol stuff is just a bonus. 2D Idols though damn, the hockey action looks clean as fuck too, though, since I don't really watch hockey, I don't know how accurate it is, but it looks really good to me.

I also like how normal it is, in a good way. They discovered hockey, they fall in love with hockey, it feels really grounded. Except the idol stuff, that's definitely not normal lmao. Yu's definitely my favorite character now, despite only recently joining the main cast. Looking forward to the next episode.
Nov 13, 2021 11:10 PM
May 2019
So at this point yu is the only one with a character arc. Albeit the typical try hard has to not be try hard arc. But it's fine, I'm here for the manager lady who is true best girl and the really well animated hockey matches. Seriously there is not a still frame to be had. To those saying this show has bad animation go watch climbing girls come back here and tell me you don't have a migraine from all the still shots.
Nov 21, 2021 1:27 AM
Jan 2020
That was a damn good animation in the end.
Nov 25, 2021 9:04 PM

Jul 2019
I don’t know how appropriate the dance was in this ending, but everything went to this. Not a fan of idol culture, but the color music and shadows were great. Also our heroines have greatly improved their hockey skills during the preseason.
Dec 22, 2021 12:36 AM

Nov 2013
I still can't believe they do this idol shit.
Why do you ruin cute little anime with interesting story with totally random elements of the different genre?
This looks soo stupid when they all perform like highly professional idols although they NEVER practiced any songs. And why do they do it?!?
The game was cool and the animation was great, but everything ruined by this ridiculous idol shit.
Let's just pretend this only happened in coach's head.
GvendolineDec 22, 2021 12:40 AM
Jan 12, 2022 12:04 PM

Jul 2016
Yuu has become Manaka's "Riko-chan". Mami... who?

"Victory Dance" looked really smooth but the idea of combining ice-hockey with Idol performances is jarring as hell. Not to mention impractical from a logistics point of view.
Feb 8, 2022 12:56 PM

Jul 2015
The catchphrase really did wonders for improving Yu's playstyle to be more team-oriented.

On a sidenote, its hilarious to imagine tough ice-hockey players irl doing the victory dance.

Nov 6, 2022 2:55 PM
Apr 2020
Yu has now joined the team, the girls come up with a fine catchphrase, and they all realize that their aerobics session was actually an idol dance. In any case, it's the game in this episode that matters.

The next friendly game has been arranged, this time against the Ice Bucks. The Dream Monkeys start out strong as Yu nets in the opening goal. However, Yu's "lone striker" philosophy ends up being her undoing, as she gets her puck stolen twice for two breakaway goals, allowing the Ice Bucks to take the lead (Apparently, the rest of the team aren't particularly good defenders). To make matters worse, Yu's ego gets the best of her, and she gets penalized for knocking an opposing player down with an elbow. This allows the Ice Bucks to score a 3rd goal. Before Yu returns to the rink, the coach of the opposing team gives her a pep talk about teamwork. Yu keeps this in mind and responds by giving Manaka a wonderful assist before the game concludes. They lose anyway, but that doesn't stop the team from putting on another in the rink idol performance.

It's nice to see some actual game action in this episode. We need more of this.

But now it's time to address the elephant in the room: The idol dance.

Look, I’m fine with incorporating idol dances in girls sports anime, but was it really necessary to chuck ice physics out of the window to make it all work? I know, idol dances in a sports anime is already a silly concept to begin with, but having the girls defy the laws of ice physics by wearing boots in the rink just serves to make the whole idol dance inclusion look even more wack than it already is. Did I mention killing suspension of disbelief?

The only way to excuse all of this is if you make the argument that every single idol performance shown in the anime is from Youko's imagination.
Romax24245Mar 13, 4:51 AM
Feb 2, 2023 9:12 AM
Apr 2021
Shouldn't the coach ah um... coach?
Also, their dancing on ice in presumably in normal boots...
Feb 13, 2023 10:06 PM

Nov 2011
Yu's integration into the new team seemed a little too effortless.

More topics from this board

» Is it true to hockey rules

Foreall908 - May 14, 2023

2 by Escenity »»
May 15, 2023 12:20 AM

Poll: » Puraore! Pride of Orange Episode 11 Discussion

KANLen09 - Dec 15, 2021

12 by Foreall908 »»
May 14, 2023 8:00 PM

Poll: » Puraore! Pride of Orange Episode 9 Discussion

KANLen09 - Dec 1, 2021

15 by Destroyer31 »»
May 6, 2023 10:44 PM

Poll: » Puraore! Pride of Orange Episode 5 Discussion

KANLen09 - Nov 3, 2021

22 by Destroyer31 »»
May 6, 2023 10:30 AM

Poll: » Puraore! Pride of Orange Episode 8 Discussion

AkeZZZ - Nov 24, 2021

18 by Romax24245 »»
Apr 10, 2023 11:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.