Forum Settings
Forums

Are there too few strong female characters in anime?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Sep 6, 2021 5:39 PM

Jun 2020
idk there's a lot of strong female characters in anime, they're just not looking properly
Sep 6, 2021 9:42 PM

Oct 2014
I think those people just aren't watching the right anime. It's like going to the desert and claiming that the world has a severe lack of fresh drinking water, giving your surroundings as proof. Sure, if you're only watching shounen shit then you're going to rarely find any strong or good female characters, but if you watch anime that are based around female characters you'll find a lot of good ones.
Sep 6, 2021 10:35 PM

Apr 2012
zombie_pegasus said:
I think those people just aren't watching the right anime. It's like going to the desert and claiming that the world has a severe lack of fresh drinking water, giving your surroundings as proof. Sure, if you're only watching shounen shit then you're going to rarely find any strong or good female characters, but if you watch anime that are based around female characters you'll find a lot of good ones.

In my experience, most people who say this belong to the group of people who only see all-female titles.
Sep 6, 2021 11:33 PM

May 2016
But who is the most powerful. From the lists I see they aren't even close to the most powerful male characters like one punch man.

https://gamerant.com/shonen-anime-most-powerful-female-characters/
Sep 7, 2021 1:11 AM

Aug 2021
For me, the best female protagonist are from seinen genre. Black Lagoon, Rin, Phantom Requiem, Noir, Gunslinger Girls and the likes.

I wish more of them are made today but with the way they’re portrayed these days (mental disability and act like a child), it will be ruined.
Howdym8Sep 7, 2021 1:14 AM
Sep 7, 2021 5:24 AM

Oct 2014
RobertBobert said:
zombie_pegasus said:

In my experience, most people who say this belong to the group of people who only see all-female titles.
Oh, weird. Are they talking about brute strength rather than quality of character or magical strength, then? Do these people want body builder kinds of females? I think there are obvious reasons why we don't get many muscular girls in anime. It's very common for there to be metaphorically strong female characters and female characters who have crazy high levels of magic, letting do a lot of damage to their opponents, but muscular females are definitely a rarity, although I can't imagine that many people would be into them.
Sep 7, 2021 5:39 AM

Feb 2020
There are more male characters that well developed than female characters in anime. But at the same time a lot of the male characters are generic, self insert or are very similar to other male characters like shounen MCs. But there are still plenty of great well developed female characters.
Sep 7, 2021 5:54 AM

Mar 2019
I don’t like strong female characters in TV shows. I like girls the way they should be, dainty, cute, damsels in distress.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 7, 2021 5:59 AM
Jul 2018
RobertBobert said:

Well, as it turns out, this franchise is extremely popular with Twitter and Tumblr audiences who regard this manga as something of an ode to radical feminism.

Intellectual and influential overlords with admin powers clueless about anime watch a random series and their sheep followers are forced to like it
Sep 7, 2021 6:30 AM

Apr 2012
zombie_pegasus said:
RobertBobert said:

Oh, weird. Are they talking about brute strength rather than quality of character or magical strength, then? Do these people want body builder kinds of females? I think there are obvious reasons why we don't get many muscular girls in anime. It's very common for there to be metaphorically strong female characters and female characters who have crazy high levels of magic, letting do a lot of damage to their opponents, but muscular females are definitely a rarity, although I can't imagine that many people would be into them.

Man, such people consider it an achievement if there are no male characters in the show or romance is kept to a minimum. Even SoL's simps don't rate any all-female content that high.
Sep 7, 2021 6:46 AM

Mar 2019
Kayle_x_Morgana said:
But who is the most powerful. From the lists I see they aren't even close to the most powerful male characters like one punch man.

https://gamerant.com/shonen-anime-most-powerful-female-characters/
I'm both surprised and not surprised that this list doesn't include Ajimu Najimi of Medaka Box.

I play BanG Dream! Girls Band Party

Garupa EN ID: 10759829
Garupa JP ID: 36753163
Sep 7, 2021 6:55 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
because it is a bandwagon mentality
Sep 7, 2021 6:55 AM

Mar 2019
RobertBobert said:

I know it’s trendy to think that a girl in love with a male character cannot be considered strong and well developed, but were heroines like Asuka, Shana, Rin or Saber poorly written and developed?
Rin... As in, Tohsaka Rin, right? I find it funny that you said it, considering you have her on your favorite character list.

I play BanG Dream! Girls Band Party

Garupa EN ID: 10759829
Garupa JP ID: 36753163
Sep 7, 2021 7:02 AM

Apr 2012
Mention said:
RobertBobert said:

I know it’s trendy to think that a girl in love with a male character cannot be considered strong and well developed, but were heroines like Asuka, Shana, Rin or Saber poorly written and developed?
Rin... As in, Tohsaka Rin, right? I find it funny that you said it, considering you have her on your favorite character list.

? What exactly surprises you? There is too little context in your comment.
Sep 7, 2021 7:18 AM
Aug 2018
Physical strength is not really what people are referring to, at least on my perspective. When I think of strong female characters I want characters that have strong beliefs, who aren't easily scared, who can admit to their weaknesses and at the same time work to become stronger, it's very rare for female characters to have as much insight into their development as a male character has, they don't show the girls training or go much into the internal conflicts that the character is going through. A good example for me would be Noelle from Black Clover, we see her character growth parallel to Asta's. A bad one would be Ochako, as far as the anime goes, she hasn't done much alone.
Sep 7, 2021 7:38 AM

Jul 2017
I always seem to find these complaints in the more mainstream shounen communities, which says a lot lol. Some people can't even bother trying to look to the right stuff before making overblown complaints, and I swear some just don't even want to acknowledge things. It was hilarious seeing JJK treated by some like it was seriously changing the game for having competent female characters or "no fanservice," with the latter complaint really having a narrow scope on what fanservice is lmao.
AttackonfillerSep 7, 2021 7:42 AM

Sep 7, 2021 10:09 AM

Oct 2017
I'd love to see more. Probably just my transfem ass wanting to see more protagonists I can relate to considering a lot of the things I watch tend to have male protagonists
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Sep 7, 2021 10:42 AM

May 2021
LSSJ_Gaming said:
I'd love to see more. Probably just my transfem ass wanting to see more protagonists I can relate to considering a lot of the things I watch tend to have male protagonists

I'm always left a bit confused when people say they want to see more protagonist/characters they can relate too reffering to the characters having the same gender as them ???
Don't know, maybe i never understood this point of view 'cause even though i'm female most of the characters i can relate to are male
What debating with DigiCat is like according to APolygons2
That's why I thought a discussion would be pointless. It doesn't feel like a debate. It feels like I'm playing chess and somehow lose to an uno reverse card after loosing all my monopoly money lol
Nov 9, 2021 9:11 PM
Jul 2018
What does "strong female character" even mean? I once read a great article years ago addressing how ridiculous this idea of a "strong female character is"
https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/2013/08/i-hate-strong-female-characters

To basically summarize the article:
People never ask whether a male character is "strong." No one asks if Sherlock Holmes is "strong." Male characters are expected to be complex, interesting; while female characters are expected to be strong first and foremost.

Don't get me wrong; I'm cool with the idea of a female character who can kick ass...but it's not something that I think about when I look into whether I like a character. I don't like Saber from Fate/Stay Night because she can kick ass (for the most part): I like her because she is a morally strong, mature, honorable, but flawed character with an interesting arc. She has enough character that she functions without Shirou Emiya, the love interest.

Now as to whether anime lacks "strong" female characters; as in, female characters with superpowers or who can kick ass, then no. Anime doesn't have a shortage of those characters.
But I think the problem is that anime characters in general, but especially female anime characters, are so damn bland. Like their male counterparts, female characters in anime often have one or two core personality traits that are overemphasized.

At the end of the day; I don't really care how much ass a female anime character can kick, when 9 times out of 10 (at least in the anime that I watch, which tend to be geared towards guys) their whole personality revolves around the male lead. Female characters in anime often don't have any dreams or aspirations. When they do, their dreams are stupid; like getting married. Don't get me wrong; marriage is fine...but it shouldn't be your #1 goal in life. Your #1 goal should be to try to get a good education, a good job, that pays well. Marriage should be a secondary goal. Love doesn't pay the bills or put a roof over your head.

As sexy as a waifu like Akeno from Highschool DxD, she's one-note; most of her character revolves around Issei, the male MC. She doesn't talk to any other guys other than him and Kiba. She doesn't seem to have any other male friends. Or goals, aspirations in life. She doesn't seem to have any FLAWS aside from her dramatic, but short character arc with her father.

What I find more attractive than a female character who can kick ass...is a female character who is complex who feels human. A female character whom I can imagine existing without the male love interest.

I'm watching Breaking Bad and am blown away by how human all the characters feel. They're incredibly flawed, layered, and there's subtext and subtlety to some of their actions.

Ryuk9428 said:
I don’t like strong female characters in TV shows. I like girls the way they should be, dainty, cute, damsels in distress.

I hope you're being sarcastic. If not...

DigiCat said:
LSSJ_Gaming said:

I'm always left a bit confused when people say they want to see more protagonist/characters they can relate too reffering to the characters having the same gender as them ???
Don't know, maybe i never understood this point of view 'cause even though i'm female most of the characters i can relate to are male

I don't think it's a huge deal for most, but a lot of people think it's nice to see a character on screen who resembles their race/gender. Gender/race is obviously not the end all-be all for most people in deciding which character is their favorite, but it's a nice little detail, and nice things are nice.

Attackonfiller said:
I always seem to find these complaints in the more mainstream shounen communities, which says a lot lol. Some people can't even bother trying to look to the right stuff before making overblown complaints, and I swear some just don't even want to acknowledge things. It was hilarious seeing JJK treated by some like it was seriously changing the game for having competent female characters or "no fanservice," with the latter complaint really having a narrow scope on what fanservice is lmao.

I think Jujutsu Kaisen's female cast are great, not because they "kick ass" but because they have personality, flaws, backstories, that also do not revolve around the male lead. In other words, they feel human.
Nov 9, 2021 9:14 PM
Jul 2018
Seiya said:
There are plenty, although the number of shoujo adaptations is a lot lower these days, which is sad.

If you're looking for a strong, well written female character, look no further than Cure Black from "Futari wa Precure."

Yeah, I've been told that shoujo anime tend to depict female characters better (as in, with more personality and complexity). But the problem for me is that I haven't seen a shoujo anime that has a plot that sounds interesting to me.
Nov 9, 2021 9:21 PM

Jan 2019
If you define "strong" with typically masculine traits, not many women will fit.
Nov 9, 2021 9:33 PM

Mar 2020
Here we go again same thing in new package
Nov 10, 2021 6:30 AM

Nov 2019
pre 2010 anime series usually depicted strong/overpowering female leads sometimes stronger than the male leads. Still happens now but it's covered up by wholesome rom-coms
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Why Are Anime Males sooo.... Scared? ( 1 2 )

Tay098 - Feb 12, 2020

56 by Horshu »»
40 seconds ago

» Is anime just more honest about it's intent than western media?

Spunkert - 2 minutes ago

0 by Spunkert »»
2 minutes ago

» Describe an anime in a funny way.

NOTAGLOWIE - Mar 2, 2022

35 by FanofAction »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 2 hours ago

17 by LoveYourEyes »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

134 by cold_void344 »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.