Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 8, 2021 2:07 PM

Jul 2019
What manga (webtoon, manhwa and such are okay too) that currently has no anime adaptation do you consider to be "unadaptable". It doesn't have to mean that it can't be adapted, more that if they tried then it would most likely fail or at the very least pale in comparison to the manga. It could be because the art is too hard to replicate, the manga is too long, it takes too long before it gets good or whatever the case may be. How you interpret that is up to you.

My personal choice would be Usogui. I can't exactly imagine replicating such amazing panels and art. And even if they somehow did, it's way too long for them to maintain a consistent high level of quality. Not to mention that the first arc is pretty meh. It gets better and better the further in you get. Meaning that even if they did a season 1, not many people would probably be that interested in a season 2.

Note: Usogui technically has an adaptation, but it's a 1 episode OVA and I can't even find it translated anywhere.
Subarashii
Aug 8, 2021 4:54 PM

Jan 2017
I've heard multiple time that Akumetsu's politicians and scandals were based on real facts , that it participated to it's success and that it would probably never get a TV Adaptation because of it.
There is most probably more examples of such Manga.

I don't think there is a Manga (or Manhwa etc.) that is totally unadaptable , but it's obvious that those with absolutely great artstyle will suffer in this aspect in animation. (Berserk , Vagabond etc.)
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Aug 8, 2021 4:57 PM

Aug 2021
Blood bank, reasons:
• is a Korean webcomic.
• gore.
• bdsm.
• vampires....
• +18.
• Extremely delicate and sensual designer.
;-;

Aug 8, 2021 5:23 PM

Jul 2017
Maybe Salon Diana. Each chapter is a different story (with the MC being the only reoccurring thing) and the chapters themselves aren't long enough that it would be easy to fit them 1 per ep. (putting 2 or more per ep would be awkward transitioning I feel).

also Karen Ichijou Tempts Him, just too short to have even a 1 cour series on.

most josei smut I think so too. even though some have pretty good stories their main focus is the sex scenes, which regular TV shows wouldn't allow to broadcast (though with Redo of Healer there might be some changes). And as a hentai studio, I feel like it wouldn't be worth the effort for them to make something with actual story to it. Then again, Eternity Koi does exist so idk lol
Aug 9, 2021 10:21 AM

Feb 2020
probably Innocent, not only is the art very detailed and hard to emulate with animation, the content matter also isn't suited for a mainstream audience, mostly bc of the torture/execution scenes & homoeroticism.
Aug 9, 2021 12:24 PM

May 2019
I'd say Vagabond. Not that the story itself is hard to adapt, but an anime adaptation of Vagabond will never do Takehiko Inoue's art justice. Therefore I'd say it's "unadaptable", while bending the question a bit.

Otherwise I'd probably say Oyasumi Punpun. I just can't imagine Punpun in anime-form. Especially since Punpun and his family looks like the way they do, which is a strong suit in the manga. But in anime? Yeah, idk... I also think from an emotional standpoint that the climax won't be nearly as hard hitting in anime-form, but that's only my opinion.
yo
Aug 9, 2021 12:45 PM
Jul 2014
I'm just here to see different types of mangas to begin to read :)

But I really don't know. All the mangas that I start reading, all of them went anime xD
Aug 9, 2021 8:03 PM

Apr 2020
Fire Punch. anyone who has read it knows why.

but one reason would be that it has a looot of really gory scenes that would certainly be censored on TV, thus ruining the entire anime.

also the constant burning from the MC's body would be way too hard to animate.

┌─❈❇❈─┐

└─❈❇❈─┘

Aug 9, 2021 11:06 PM

Dec 2011
A Cruel God Reigns.. is a delicate piece of art. The composition of the panels and how it depicts silence is really moving.

Given its themes, an adaptation would need a great amount of care and sensitivity to not convey the wrong message/s. I think the emotion could easily get lost in translation, like too literal, not experimental enough, wrong pacing etc.

Aug 10, 2021 3:41 AM

Oct 2015
Innocent and Innocent Rouge

That art is way to good for anime and its just non stop gore, torture, sex and nudity.
Aug 12, 2021 12:37 AM

Jul 2016
tf, i was just about to comment innocent and innocent rouge too.

the art is literally a national treasure. i have found myself stuck in place on one panel while panning my eyes over every little detail, and trust me. there are many details in sakamoto's art. how the hell does he do it?! the fu^^? you just simply cannot translate that sort of mastery into anime, unless you have an unlimited budget, probably some extra outsourcing, and a devoted crew of animators who are willing to not let it end up as a disappointment. you'd also have to tread carefully with people who are fans of innocent and innocent rouge, they're not going to accept any animation studio cutting corners with the story. you either go full adherance to the original source material or you will be guillotined. figuratively. not too friendly for the general public is it. any anime adaptation has to be a serious work of blood and tears. there's just no place for that, in the current industry. forget CGI.
Aug 12, 2021 6:43 PM

Sep 2018
Shinbi from webtoon

too beautiful and intricate that it would just take way too much effort, time & money to make this into an animation

for it to be an actual show... a real person wouldn't be able to pull it off tbh
Mar 30, 2022 8:56 PM
Jul 2018
Ore to Akuma no Blues

> The art is extreme
> Dim aura
Mar 31, 2022 6:04 AM

Apr 2013
Manga are already a visual media so everything should be adaptable.

I mean they adapted stuff like the Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon novels in anime. No way any manga is harder to adapt than that.

Just saying but adapting doesn't mean keeping the level of detail of the manga art. It is absolutely not necessary. Berserk 1996 was a good adaptation and Berserk manga's level of detail is notoriously crazy high.
Apr 4, 2022 5:39 PM

Feb 2014
seconding oyasumi punpun. i just think it's one that would not fit very well as an anime due to things like the art (punpun being drawn as a bird even tho he is seen as a regular guy by anyone else). plus iirc

Apr 5, 2022 9:26 AM

Dec 2021
Brutal...Sometimes I feel like it exceeds Berserk with the amount of gore in the series. Although it does stimulate my senses when I read it, I'm not sure if it should get an adaptation.
Apr 9, 2022 10:02 PM

Feb 2014
Jackof-allspades said:
Brutal...Sometimes I feel like it exceeds Berserk with the amount of gore in the series. Although it does stimulate my senses when I read it, I'm not sure if it should get an adaptation.
that is something i hate about liking horror manga. so many are not adaptable or would be a pain because of the gore. you would have to wait not only for it to finish airing but to get released on bd for it to not have those stupid black bars across a stomach cut open or what have you. and even then it's like how much will you really see once those censor bars are gone? but i realize a lot of studios have their hands tied. no use in replicating the mangaka's attention to detail in the gore and blood when you'll barely get on tv with censors anyways.

Apr 9, 2022 11:09 PM
Jul 2018
ponpokorin said:
probably Innocent, not only is the art very detailed and hard to emulate with animation, the content matter also isn't suited for a mainstream audience, mostly bc of the torture/execution scenes & homoeroticism.
Innocent always comes to mind when these type of questions are asked. On one hand I’d love to see an adaption but on the other I just know it’d be near impossible to create the same feeling and replicate all the subtle details.
Apr 20, 2022 11:43 AM
May 2020
berserk, sun ken rock, vagabond are the main ones that come to mind rn
Apr 20, 2022 11:50 AM

Jul 2019
Komla_6 said:

Berserk has multiple adaptations though? The newer ones are just horrendous. But I'd personally say the 1997 one is a good adaptation.
Subarashii
Apr 20, 2022 2:25 PM
May 2020
Avicebrons said:
Komla_6 said:

Berserk has multiple adaptations though? The newer ones are just horrendous. But I'd personally say the 1997 one is a good adaptation.
it's kinda like this, I have 1997 berserk as my favourite anime but at the same time a faithful adaptation seems near impossible purely due to the artistic brilliance of kentaro miura. Like the shading etc cannot be replicated and that's a shame be ause it's another enticing aspect of the manga
Apr 22, 2022 5:17 AM

Dec 2019
The most unadaptable ones in my opinion are The World is Mine (the messages would be too hard to convey), Usogui, any Shinichi Sakamoto and Koike Keiichi works (those are mainly because of the art).
Apr 22, 2022 8:29 AM

Apr 2010
Oyasumi Punpun, I think it would do no justice for the manga or for the whole story
Apr 25, 2022 4:10 AM

May 2020
Maybe something like Oyasumi Punpun because of the design of the characters and because the story feels better with Black and white only
Jan 22, 2023 11:52 AM

Mar 2018
Jun: Shoutarou no Fantasy World is one of a kind media manga. Breaking the fourth wall, constantly plays with the binding of panels, uses them as a motif within the story, transposing a metalanguage that the anime would have no parallel, something similar to Palepoli.

_Phiro_Jan 22, 2023 1:55 PM
Jan 22, 2023 12:46 PM

Jul 2008
I agree with most Koike Keiichi manga as mentioned above, along with Minoru Furuya's darker stuff (Himizu, Ciguatera, Wanitokagegisu, etc.). They're all stories that just seem much more suited to manga than anime.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Jan 22, 2023 5:44 PM
May 2020
sunkenrock, the level of of detail put into the autonomy of some of the characters is honestly unreal
Jan 24, 2023 6:45 PM
Aug 2021
Kokou no Hito, maybe?
Feb 1, 2023 9:29 AM

Apr 2021
any manga with detailed and stylized art (Vegabond, anything from Junji itou, innocent...)
Feb 3, 2023 8:26 AM

Jun 2017
Freesia comes to mind. It wouldn't be great as an anime due to its style and also would be censored a lot.
If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then live beautifully until the end.
” -Gintoki Sakata

More topics from this board

» The Worst manga you've ever read

Kumoiro_Shizuki - Today

25 by Lucifrost »»
2 hours ago

» Your top 10 unknown/not-well known manga

Kumoiro_Shizuki - May 16

26 by Shirayukin »»
4 hours ago

» Good manga to read for people starting out

Goblingaming - 7 hours ago

3 by BitChilly »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Is "grittiness" in manga bad?

Tenderizer79 - May 11

3 by atroxeus »»
Today, 7:45 AM

» Seinen vs Shounen

Faceless_Friend - Sep 7, 2021

37 by atroxeus »»
Yesterday, 8:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.