3It was OK
14.2%
2Disliked it
1.7%
1Hated it
1.2%
Average 4.3
424 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 3, 2021 10:10 AM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Episode debuted 10 mins later than usual:
https://twitter.com/remain_anime/status/1411112454004776962

Being part of 7 shows announced at the MAPPA Stage 10th Anniversary event, and you can feel it through and through with MAPPA's animation. Masafumi Nishida of Tiger & Bunny fame handles being the creator, chief director, sound director, scriptwriter and series composer 5-in-1 job, so gotta gauge expectations.

Minato Kiyomizu, the new kid on the block, suffers some kind of amnesia due to a traffic accident which lead him to a 3-year coma (and nightmarish hallucinations for his family), only for him to remember having played water polo before with his team of friends who were once champions. To get himself back on track with rehabilitation for recovery, all is what you'd expect of a newbie joining a club sport, though trying to force him into a corner is just about as hilariously extreme as it could get.

Minato's life is about to get more sporty and wackier, that's for sure. One thing though, Minato's got a fair amount of stalkers that don't seem to shake him off that easily.

Not sold on this yet, but will give it the 3-episode rule.
KANLen09Jul 3, 2021 11:23 AM
Jul 3, 2021 11:05 AM

Jun 2019
Ah yes, it's MAPPA, the studio that doesn't like to take breaks at all is back again with another sports anime, and this time it is Water Polo. The main protagonist, Minato was in a coma after an accident for more than 200+ days and now finally woke up from his slumber but he doesn't remember anything from the last three years or so. Not even his friends.

So basically, his whole middle school memories are gone. He was a national champion and a great player but now he doesn't remember anything. He claimed to his mother that he will get back to the game in no time and will become champion once again but he doesn't even know the ABC of the game. LOL

Animation is as expected from MAPPA is really good and the story looks interesting, not anything out of ordinary but it's fine. Will see how this goes.
Jul 3, 2021 11:11 AM

Nov 2016
My expectations for anime original sports, especially those with bishies, are low. But this is MAPPA and so far they've fared well on that front.

Start was alright, albeit nothing special. The next few episodes will make or break it for me.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 3, 2021 11:13 AM

Jun 2021
Great episode 1

While it has it's funny moments, it can also bring a serious tone by reminding the viewers the past trauma the family had to go through. Hopefully, the good mixture of sports and human drama will continue.

The animation looks phenomenal, which is no surprise given it's by MAPPA.
Jul 3, 2021 11:18 AM
Jul 2021
Honestly, I can’t explain why I liked this anime (or ep 1 of this anime) so much. The MAPPA quality is obviously there and the story is solid but not novel. I found myself immediately invested though and actually laughed out loud at a couple parts which is pretty much never something I do. I feel like it’s pacing was perfect, not tedious but not like one of those god awful harem romcom premiers that are basically trying to get the story out of the way to make room for air-able tween hentai. I have I hopes for this one.
Jul 3, 2021 11:23 AM
Sep 2015
This anime makes me horny and sad at the same time, this is summer!

It doesn't even need high quality production to lure me in, but it has anyway.

At first I thought he's gonna repeat the third junior high year and compete with his old friend that's in first year highschool, since he mention that the tournament allow first year highschool to compete with junior high. But it seems like the setting will be all in highschool, no more junior high.

That girl seems to be his (ex?) girlfriend? Bad news for me, I hope they don't reconciled.
Jul 3, 2021 11:24 AM

Jan 2021
Hmmm, it's interesting, indeed, but I'm not convinced...

I'll see how the story progresses. I haven't seen many Spokon so I don't know what to expect from this genre 0.0
Jul 3, 2021 11:26 AM

Dec 2014
I liked it, it's kinda sad that he lost all his memories of playing Water Polo but depending on how the show handles it, we could see some very interesting moments where his body remembers how to do things even when he mentally recognize it.

I also quite liked that they showed some parts where her sister suffered from remembering the accident and they contrast with him not remembering anything at all. The amnesia is almost a blessing in disguise here and I can empathize with the feeling as I was in a similar situation a couple years ago as I remember nothing from my own accident and I've often thought that it might be for the better.

Overall, pretty nice start. Could turn out either way, the next few episodes will decide it I suppose.
Jul 3, 2021 11:34 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Well, it was kind of decent, I suppose.

I was 100% expecting some water polo action this episode, so I'm a little surprised that there was none whatsoever. In place of that though, it was nice to see more more focus on the family and the final segment with the sister going through PTSD was really touching.

Main character seems like an interesting fella and appears to have some sort of complicated relationship with Kawakubo-san, probably in his prime but I'm curious for more xD especially given how the episode ended.

Nice Op and MAPPA's part in the animation isn't bad either. A few jarring shots here and there but, as a whole, it's a job well done imo. Here's to hoping the overworked staff will be able to maintain this quality throughout the course of the cour.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 3, 2021 11:43 AM

Apr 2009
Pretty boring. The setup is pretty bland and no wonder thare's nothing interesting to tell.
Jul 3, 2021 11:44 AM

Aug 2020
I usually take likings to sports anime and starting off with this one, I can see it's going to one I especially enjoy.
Jul 3, 2021 11:47 AM

Jul 2019
FMmatron said:
My expectations for anime original sports, especially those with bishies, are low.

lmao I didn't know you could call them bishies
Jul 3, 2021 11:48 AM

Jul 2017
I can tell this is gonna have some very summery vibes to it, and I definitely like that

but decent start so far, ngl that ending bit got me very interested. I highly doubt there'll be any actual romance in it but that's certainly a cliffhanger to end on lmao.

It is nice to see MAPPA doing some uncommon sports lately, nice to see them getting some attention

very stacked cast though
Jul 3, 2021 12:00 PM
Mar 2015
Seems rather stupid but if truck-kun is here I am in
Jul 3, 2021 12:06 PM

Jun 2020
The manga he was reading seemed familiar or at least seemed like a parody of something I've seen before, and after wracking my brain I realized the character on the covers is basically a recolour of this character:

Neat little easter egg. Besides that, the anime seems cool.
Jul 3, 2021 12:22 PM

Dec 2020
a bit iffy with how they're treating his amnesia lol, hes mentally a 6th grader thats gonna continue on a high school life. amnesia is probably just a shitty trope they're using to get away and do things easily but whatever this is mainly a sports anime lets see how That part goes, cant discuss that tho since it hasnt been showed yet

alright first ep overall, hate how im a sucker for these kinds of light hearted show so im staying. for now, at least
Jul 3, 2021 12:37 PM

Jul 2011
Luckily he graduated from junior high before having the accident which is great.

Minato is strangely a very thoughtful for someone with a 6th grader mentality.

Look forward to whats up with Minato and Chinu relationship.

I truly respect effort to study and everything and the need of a complication, but a sport scholarship would help.

Thus this enter for my watching list.
BlichoBoyJul 3, 2021 12:40 PM
Jul 3, 2021 1:40 PM
Oct 2020
it was okay, ı guess. nothing special for now but ı will continue to watch it.
Jul 3, 2021 2:00 PM

Sep 2019
I don't like the story so far. The girl at the end was cute, I wonder why she kissed him on the cheek.
Jul 3, 2021 2:44 PM

Apr 2018
Decent start, I was expecting some water polo action this episode but it was more like a storytelling episode. But yeah, a decent build-up for the next episode I guess?
Maincharacter is a nice guy imo, he's not really dense but Oka is getting on my nerves. Don't really like his VA either. Hopefully I'll survive this.
Chinu or whatever that girl's name is, is pretty cute lul. Idk why she kissed him in the end but aight.
Aside from that, I'm def in for the water polo. Seems interesting.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jul 3, 2021 2:47 PM
Apr 2020
I have the same question, was she his girlfriend or something.
Jul 3, 2021 3:26 PM
Dec 2020
I liked it) animation so beautiful, sad and funny moments, interesting plot with loosing memory for sports too. Wait to see more <3
Jul 3, 2021 3:30 PM

Jan 2010
A decent start, but I'm not as drawn in as I was with last season's original sports anime, Bakuten.

Didn't pay enough attention to the synopsis of this show to know about the mc having amnesia. idk if the story is using some anime logic for the specifics of his amnesia. can a person have that specific of memory loss? Seems more like a plot convenience. I wonder how they'll work that into the story which the mc trying to get back into playing water polo

My issue right now is that I don't immediately like the mc, since he has the mentality of a 6th grader, he acts very immature. Hopefully he'll grow out of that.

Also wasn't a fan of the weird mix of tones in this ep. You have the seriousness of his accident and the trauma his family has gone through, combined with everything being very comedic? I remember Taiso Samurai had this problem, another original sports anime from MAPAA that came out last year? It tried to mix comedy and drama, but didn't do a very good job at at. The other characters, the glasses-kid and the water polo coach are pretty obnoxious....hopefully the other cast members won't be that way. That ending tho. were they a romantic couple lol??

I was also concerned that this show would get the short-end of the stick production quality/visual-wise, since MAPAA is working on so many damn projects. But this is decent.

Will keep watching it. I mean, I'm only watching a handful of other anime this season, compared to the 10+ shows I was watching last season. SO even if I don't think this is super-great, I probably won't drop it
Jul 3, 2021 4:58 PM

Jul 2011
Interesting start for a boy sport anime (and actually some girls on show too!), and this time sport is Water Polo, itself interesting choice.

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Jul 3, 2021 5:24 PM
Feb 2021
It reminds me of SK8, my expectations are very low but I liked the episode.
Jul 3, 2021 5:45 PM

Oct 2009
Only anime would skip a year and a half in a first episode. Only in anime would a cute boy be chased by two other cute boys on his first day of school - and then end up being kissed by a girl. Siiigh.

Well, this looks like fun. We shall see.
Jul 3, 2021 6:12 PM

Aug 2020
Great episode so far, they had some dialogue and interactions that personally interested me so I will be looking forward to the next ep.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
anime-primeJul 5, 2021 3:23 PM

Jul 3, 2021 6:14 PM
Jul 2021
yellowheartren said:
Only anime would skip a year and a half in a first episode. Only in anime would a cute boy be chased by two other cute boys on his first day of school - and then end up being kissed by a girl. Siiigh.

Well, this looks like fun. We shall see.

omg so it is a BL anime
Jul 3, 2021 7:00 PM

Nov 2017
Normally,I don't watch sports anime,but i thought I'd give this a go since the synopsis ounded interesting.
So far,I like the OP/ED and quite like the MC character.
Tbh,considering I usually detest watching most sports I found this quite enjoyable.
Weird,but we'll see how it goes :)

It's also got quite a good CV roster,who have done the voices for some of my favourite characters,so thats another point in its favour!
StarhammerJul 3, 2021 7:11 PM
Jul 3, 2021 8:32 PM

Dec 2008
Not much water sport in first ep.
His friends don't get the fact that he lost memory.
Jul 3, 2021 8:34 PM

Mar 2016
Yayy! This is being uploaded by AniOne! Legal anime is always a treat!

The art is beautiful. As expected of Mappa!

Minato is handsome, and the way he speaks is so childish and cute. But, I hope he becomes more intelligent soon. Dumb people are such a turn off.

Eitarou also would have been cute, but his voice really doesn't suit him. Sounds like his actor is trying too hard to speak with a higher voice.

When Minato's friends entered, my first thought was "they seem awfully ordinary to be sports anime characters." It seems they're not the leads. haha

Some of the scenes were funny. Like the one where Minato had lost all his muscles. Or the end's chasing scene. Reminded me of Benny Hill Show. Some just felt uncomfortable, though.

The story seems like it has potential to be good enough. Though, so far, only the animation and art are standing out.
Jul 3, 2021 9:06 PM

Oct 2008
lucky amnesia boi got a kiss from hot chick! HAHA
4/5.

Jul 3, 2021 9:45 PM
May 2020
phantomfandom said:
This anime makes me horny and sad at the same time, this is summer!

It doesn't even need high quality production to lure me in, but it has anyway.

At first I thought he's gonna repeat the third junior high year and compete with his old friend that's in first year highschool, since he mention that the tournament allow first year highschool to compete with junior high. But it seems like the setting will be all in highschool, no more junior high.

That girl seems to be his (ex?) girlfriend? Bad news for me, I hope they don't reconciled.
i hope it's not even ex girlfriend or maybe like she admires him and kissed him on his cheeks to see for sure he is real and back. The car scene, he kind of looked arrogant not in a bad way tho. At that time probably she never approached him. I just hope to not have heterosexual shit
Jul 3, 2021 10:04 PM

Jul 2015
Summer vibe!!

interesting start, as the MC is probably already a genius player in water polo but he got partial amnesia that makes him forget everything about the sport. can't wait for his re-awakening!!
Jul 3, 2021 10:24 PM

Aug 2018
Water polo Anime
Curious xd
The first chapter was good, let's see how he will recover his memory.
The opening is cool.
Jul 3, 2021 11:14 PM
Feb 2021
Does anyone know where to read the manga if there even is one I’ve tried looking for it but came up empty ?
Jul 3, 2021 11:51 PM

Jan 2021
From the first episode all I can say is that it looks pretty. Nicely well made. Pretty excited for the next episode.
Jul 4, 2021 12:37 AM
Apr 2020
Nice 1st episode. But, ain't it rude forcing someone in rehabilitation process to do something he currently doesn't want to do? Welp, joining the water polo club will help him bring back his memories.

Jul 4, 2021 1:50 AM
Jul 2018
"69" th entrance ceremony?
N I C E
hahahahahahahahahahaha
Jul 4, 2021 1:58 AM

May 2020
K3v1n930_2 said:
Does anyone know where to read the manga if there even is one I’ve tried looking for it but came up empty ?

It's original anime.
Jul 4, 2021 2:35 AM

Oct 2016
Good start! Not fully sold on it yet but it's an interesting premise. I wonder how that would feel, losing 3 years worth of memories, that's gotta feel weird as fuck. The scene where Minato's sister had a nightmare of their accident was really depressing. Maybe once he gets convinced to join the water polo club, he'll gradually regain his memories through water polo. Chinu looks hot and gorgeous as hell though damn, her character design's nice. Hope Minato and Chinu have a relationship, would be cool for a sports anime.
Jul 4, 2021 4:11 AM

Mar 2017
At first I was thrown off by how chill Minato was about having lost 3 years of his life but then my dumbass self realized; he's taking the situation as an 11-year-old because that's what age he is mentally. His amnesia was handled so well actually. Having him being mentally 11 years old made it less emotionally heavy but he finally understood the severity of it through seeing how the accident affected his family, the way a kid would.

MAPPA have been absolute kings of sports anime in the past couple of years and this seems like no expection!
Jul 4, 2021 5:52 AM

Jun 2016
One of the things I love sports anime for is the brotherly love that exists between the characters, although some touch the BL as is the case with SK8 or Free.

However, something that has been pissing me off lately is that BL has been seen a lot in sports anime, as if it were some kind of bait to attract audiences (although Free seems to have been eliminating this by making relationships more natural and more presence of female characters in their latest animations).

Re-main to have made clear the orientation of the protagonist from the first episode, but it seems me too forced to receive that final kiss. I simply wish there were relationships of all kinds of orientations, but that they were in a natural way. I'm glad that Re-main can try to give gay and straight relationships, but I hope that relationships are formed in the same way as SK8's main shipping (although it was not canon, you could see it from afar).

Honestly, I hope Re-main takes the same path as Days.
Jul 4, 2021 7:28 AM
Jul 2018
DriveTG said:
One of the things I love sports anime for is the brotherly love that exists between the characters, although some touch the BL as is the case with SK8 or Free.

However, something that has been pissing me off lately is that BL has been seen a lot in sports anime, as if it were some kind of bait to attract audiences (although Free seems to have been eliminating this by making relationships more natural and more presence of female characters in their latest animations).

Re-main to have made clear the orientation of the protagonist from the first episode, but it seems me too forced to receive that final kiss. I simply wish there were relationships of all kinds of orientations, but that they were in a natural way. I'm glad that Re-main can try to give gay and straight relationships, but I hope that relationships are formed in the same way as SK8's main shipping (although it was not canon, you could see it from afar).

Honestly, I hope Re-main takes the same path as Days.
Not trying to be rude but there was no bl stuff in free or sk8, they're not animes focused on romance. Now the fandom taking that stuff and making ships, does happen a lot. But it happens with just about any popular show, like aot, jjk, mha
Jul 4, 2021 8:33 AM

Jun 2020
Omg I LOVE IT. That was so much fun!!!!!!

The OP was so good!!!! The art & animation were great too & I really like the character designs. MC is such a cheerful character, waking up & having memory loss but taking things at his best pace. I find him so likeable, and that scene where he was going home & was looking at his own reflection & musing how weird it was that he was much taller & different his appearance had become, so cute!! The heartfelt moments were great too, like when he realised how matured his sister has become knowing to change the subject to lighten the mood over dinner. His family is definitely worried, but still supportive♡

Was hoping to see the other characters too but I love the way they introduced the personalities of the different characters. And Chinu is a total babe!!!!

Can’t wait for more. I alr love it!!!!!!

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Jul 4, 2021 9:13 AM
Mar 2021
I have never seen someone having amnesia after a sports accident. It pretty interesting to see a character that is suppose to be 15-16 acting like a 12-13 years old.
What was that kiss at the ending?
Jul 4, 2021 1:41 PM

Jul 2016
Promising start overall. I like both the coma-amnesia twist as well as the way it's being portrayed from the family's POV. Minato's ex-teammates could have been more considerate of his condition tho. I mean, be thankful your friend could even wake up in the first place.

Anyways, hoping this series can surprise me in the same way Bakuten!! from the previous season did.
Jul 4, 2021 5:03 PM
Jul 2018
another interesting show was tense the accident which was something tense I found it very interesting how things about happened after the accident of Minato Kiyomizu.
Jul 4, 2021 7:58 PM

Jun 2020
Populus said:
I have never seen someone having amnesia after a sports accident

It wasn’t a sports accident? He was in a car crash & the accident took place when his mum was driving him & his sister. They showed it. That’s why his sister had the nightmare & their parents were comforting her & Minato saw that, and realised his family was still haunted by that day, his mum also apologised to him for causing the accident.

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Jul 4, 2021 11:05 PM

Apr 2021
Not the best thing that mappa has ever made, but it was a nice 1st ep
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re-Main Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Oct 2, 2021

69 by IDontKnowAnyM0r3 »»
Apr 10, 1:38 PM

Poll: » Re-Main Episode 11 Discussion

KANLen09 - Sep 25, 2021

37 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 12, 2023 7:38 AM

Poll: » Re-Main Episode 9 Discussion

KANLen09 - Sep 11, 2021

49 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 12, 2023 7:02 AM

Poll: » Re-Main Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Sep 4, 2021

106 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 12, 2023 6:41 AM

Poll: » Re-Main Episode 5 Discussion

KANLen09 - Aug 7, 2021

34 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Nov 12, 2023 5:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.