Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jun 1, 2021 1:35 AM
Mar 2018
so its just borderline copycat Metamorphosis without the dope and pregnancy (yet)... has all the markings of a typical romcom drama which probably has an "uncensored" or "spicy" "fan-made" version that would tip it into the Hentai corner and please all the pedos...
Jun 1, 2021 1:43 AM

Jun 2011
So we finally hear Sayu's backstory. Her mother is very harsh indeed, I can totally understand why Sayu would want to leave home after that. Strangely the whole scene with her friend on the roof reminds me of Wonder Egg Priority. What a harsh past, I hope she will make a good decision to move forward, because honestly her mother doesn't deserve to have her back after all that happened.
Jun 1, 2021 1:52 AM

Jun 2014
TSTO said:
This episode tried to put the feels, and I will admit, to a certain small degree I did get "the feels" and eyes were humid at best... but come on. The backstory felt contrived, predictable and empty. This show's flow is all over the place. It's one of those stories that I keep predicting something much more grandiose than what ends up actually being the truth afterwards. The story at Sayu's home with mom and everything.. I mean, that's it? But I guess that isn't the main focus here. The focus is (and rightfully should be) the relationship between Sayu and Yoshida. But that doesn't give a full-fledged excuse to ignore all the reasoning behind it via subplot mediocrity. Sad to say it feels like this one will be long forgotten in not a very long time from now unfortunately. But I'm not one to drop a show so I'll keep going 'til the end. Somehow I doubt it'll get a second season.

It's not getting a second season. It's adapting all of the LN volumes. Thank god for that. Our pain will be ended soon.

Anyway, I agree with much of what you said, however just because a story is predictable doesn't make it bad. It just means that the author either isn't presenting it in a way that is meant to be surprising, or they don't have the ability to surprise their audience. Either one doesn't really interest me, because I don't find a predictable story as a negative. It is an empty contrived mess, however. It's trying to do too many things, while painting an elaborate picture that Sayu has an incredibly unpredictable (sarcasm) dark past. Anybody that is surprised by that should slap themselves across the face. There is no way someone that acts the way she did (and still does) throughout the beginning of the series doesn't have some screws loose. I think the author went a little liberal with combining as many dark things as they could into her past to make her compelling. Only... it has the opposite effect. Because she is poorly written, it feels cheap and hollow. Like none of it really matters. Either the show script writer is to blame, or the author. Really depends. I won't be picking up the LN books to find out. I just want this show over and done with so I can get back what sanity I still have left.

This show has been really taxing on my mental stability. But I guess I enjoy the pain of it all since I haven't dropped it.
Jun 1, 2021 2:00 AM

Oct 2020
Looks like Issa was a good guy after all. She's got a week to think things over. All I was thinking at the end of the episode was fuck, fuck, fuck, what the fuck can she do? Now the boring, realistic answer would be to go back home and face her mother and likely worse schoolmates who might pin the suicide on her.

And what tears me up is there really is no other feasible option. Staying at Yoshida's till maybe she gets a more stable job and place to stay would be ideal but that would lead to her being hunted down by her parents and worst comes to worst secret agents. Fuck.

Love this episode for the rollercoaster of emotions it put me throught. Goddamn.

✧ THE NIGHT SHONE UPON TWO, ME & YOU ✧ FORUM SET BY:SAINTZEPH

Jun 1, 2021 2:24 AM

Aug 2012
What he should do is to file a request for her mother to be dispossessed of the rights of legal guardian and have him as the legal guardian. It will be hard because courts are extremely bias towards women even they end up killing their children but not impossible.
AnimeBaka_ said:
WTF. Bruh okay first let me talk about animation. Even hentai has better Animation. Like it felt like slide show.
Okay now to the topic.
This story showing a 16 yr old nude and having sex is fine. They are discussing adult topic its also fine. Forbidden relationship is also fine. But what the hell is this story.

Yoshida saying to his brother dont u care about sayu and asking him 2 days of time. Like what? Bruh he is her brother bro. Like if am her brother like i would have beated the shit oout of him.
Tht brother. Like wtf bro. you leave a girl( high schooler) to be with a guy even after knowing. Like what kind of brother he is?? like clearly wtf???? I am 100% sure no brother would do that.
Like where are these type of mothers. Yes they may be hard sometimes. But i havent seen anyone like her. Like this author is writing whatever he wants and oh god.
Ok i havent seen people bullying other person like that. Like why they bully that MC frd? whtever reason they said it doesnt make any sense.
and again these guys make cute girls and say male characters will surround them. And then they draw a girl with specs and pimples she is ugly like wtf is this logic?????
i am fed up with show. like crazy. Like at first i loved it like hell. And now its like waaaah. But i hate sayu man come on bro. Like first go to your school make sure the bullies get punished first???? i got an eye sore atching this shit.

Then you probably not watch the news much. Plenty of shitty mothers like this in the world now and even worst. But again is not their fault, is the fault of feminism. If the mouse utopia experiment taught us anything is that if we give females a way to live for free as we did (alimony, jobs they cannot actually do and so on) they will generally turn into monsters extremely aggressive and violent and unwilling to be proper mothers. Not that before stuff like this did not happen , if you read Grimm fairy tales you know, it was that it was not that common.
nightcrawlercypJun 1, 2021 2:30 AM
Jun 1, 2021 3:12 AM
Jul 2018
finally revealed why sayu left home, I don't really understand sayu's brother.
Jun 1, 2021 3:47 AM
Nov 2019
Rushed adaptation:-

They missed out the bits about Sayu's father completely, which explains why her mother despises Sayu.

They missed out things Sayu's brother said to try and help her before giving her the cash.

They skipped the information on why she sat in a hotel masturbating (I'm a bad girl - I must do bad things) so it just looked like she was a horny teenager.

She didn't just throw the phone away because it was flat - she was constantly texted asking if she was coming back home.

The whole sad only friend, bullying, school thing was cut down to meaningless snippets.

The conversation with Yoshida & Asami was heavily edited.

I means they stuffed 8 chapters into this one episode, and all of them detailed the trauma that Sayu has gone through, her dysfunctional rich family and why her school life was so bad. Basically she's suffering from PTSD and a complete loss of self-worth, if Yoshida hadn't rescued her she was rapidly heading down the child prostitution, being sex-trafficked or suicide route....

Wonder Egg Priority handled school friends suicide so much better. I'll probably score the Anime -2 points from the LN score (once I've managed to read the bits that haven't been released/translated yet). So it's dropping from a 8 down to a 6 unless it picks up in the last leg.
penrhosJun 1, 2021 4:03 AM
Jun 1, 2021 4:30 AM

Dec 2015
Amamonogatari said:

Last and certainly not least, Sayu's backstory wasn't convincing. It was weak. They rushed her friend's character and made her off herself so fast that it was the most unemotional suicide I've ever seen in any medium. You can't even feel bad, because it made no fucking sense. "SAYU, YOU'VE BEEN SO DEPRESSED BECAUSE OF ME, SO LEMME JUST KILL MYSELF SO I'M OUT OF YOUR LIFE! IT DEFINITELY WON'T MAKE THINGS WORSE, I MUST GO AS QUICKLY AS I WAS INTRODUCED. BEING BULLIED IS TOO MUCH FOR ME!" Weak, terrible, borderline ridiculous plot devices, with no purpose. Perhaps it's due to the show's rapid pacing and the books go into the relationship of Sayu and girl who's name I don't even remember because she's that unimportant but for transparency's sake we can refer to her as dead girl,

The most annoying thing is to see that the episode that should have more depth barely lasts 1 episode, it's so fast that you don't have time to get attached to the character, she dies and you don't even remember the name. And most importantly, isn't there a responsible adult in this damn school?! Teachers? Country? Police? What the hell is this place?

Amamonogatari said:

Showing her masturbate is such a desperate reach to try to appeal to what little fanbase the show has. We didn't need to see it. It doesn't matter if it happened the night of dead girl's death. It doesn't matter if it happened the next day. A week later. A month later. The show lacks context and gives the impression that she ran out as soon as she could and tried to relieve herself from her stress. But what sane person does that to make them feel better? When they're going through the prospect of being the SINGULAR reason for a person killing themselves?

Thank you God for someone here knows how to analyze something instead of just saying "it's puberty, it's normal".

Amamonogatari said:

We got more insight into one of the only decent characters in the show. Sayu's brother, who acts a little bit more like a father than a brother with how he is able to pinpoint Sayu's movements to a T. Which is fine, he's an older brother and this kind of behavior can be expected. However, I think the lack of explaining how he was able to keep up with her continues the pattern of the show not being able to explain its own plot lines.

Now, her kind brother, couldn't he have just bought her a house away from her mother instead of giving 300.00 to a teenager who clearly wasn't right in his head and throwing her out into the world? For an anime that has clung to showing reality from the very first episodes, the characters' decisions don't seem real at all.

And finally, how can people still see Sayu and Yoshida as a couple?! It's clear that they just support each other emotionally, it doesn't make any sense for them to end up together not only because of their age, but their way of thinking. Yoshida has already made it clear for Sayu to live a normal life, as a normal teenager, to study, have friends, relate, be disappointed, live what is expected of a normal teenager, meanwhile what he needs is a wife and children to start a life (cof cof request from Gotou cof cof).

I don't know why I still follow this post, I'm disgusted at how they managed to destroy a work that started so well and was impressive.
Jun 1, 2021 4:38 AM

Feb 2021
Amamonogatari said:
TSTO said:
This episode tried to put the feels, and I will admit, to a certain small degree I did get "the feels" and eyes were humid at best... but come on. The backstory felt contrived, predictable and empty. This show's flow is all over the place. It's one of those stories that I keep predicting something much more grandiose than what ends up actually being the truth afterwards. The story at Sayu's home with mom and everything.. I mean, that's it? But I guess that isn't the main focus here. The focus is (and rightfully should be) the relationship between Sayu and Yoshida. But that doesn't give a full-fledged excuse to ignore all the reasoning behind it via subplot mediocrity. Sad to say it feels like this one will be long forgotten in not a very long time from now unfortunately. But I'm not one to drop a show so I'll keep going 'til the end. Somehow I doubt it'll get a second season.

It's not getting a second season. It's adapting all of the LN volumes. Thank god for that. Our pain will be ended soon.

Anyway, I agree with much of what you said, however just because a story is predictable doesn't make it bad. It just means that the author either isn't presenting it in a way that is meant to be surprising, or they don't have the ability to surprise their audience. Either one doesn't really interest me, because I don't find a predictable story as a negative. It is an empty contrived mess, however. It's trying to do too many things, while painting an elaborate picture that Sayu has an incredibly unpredictable (sarcasm) dark past. Anybody that is surprised by that should slap themselves across the face. There is no way someone that acts the way she did (and still does) throughout the beginning of the series doesn't have some screws loose. I think the author went a little liberal with combining as many dark things as they could into her past to make her compelling. Only... it has the opposite effect. Because she is poorly written, it feels cheap and hollow. Like none of it really matters. Either the show script writer is to blame, or the author. Really depends. I won't be picking up the LN books to find out. I just want this show over and done with so I can get back what sanity I still have left.

This show has been really taxing on my mental stability. But I guess I enjoy the pain of it all since I haven't dropped it.

True. I agree with you. I think predictable isn't a bad thing most times. I shouldn't have used that word, it's more for the lack of capitalizing on elevating this plot in interesting ways. I believe the main problem with this story is that it feels so.. lifeless. I keep trying to guess what will happen next and it always ends up being way less intriguing than my imagination came up with beforehand. I should stop doing that and lower my expectations.
Jun 1, 2021 5:15 AM

Jun 2016
sayu is so stupid and dumb girl !!

the lucky things here is she not get in prostitution but her virginity taken by so many guy !!
Jun 1, 2021 5:23 AM

Sep 2018
Gab5 said:
Cobalt-Blue said:
This ep 9 is so bad... Thats the reason she ran away and was basically turned into a sex doll for horny/dirty Salarymen? No... This show was so good but the realism just took a BIG hit here. This show is now down from an 8 to a 7. That is so unbelievable that her first real friend she made was in highschool. We (the audience) don't care about a random ass girl that committed suicide because of bullying caused by Sayu... You can't just introduce a character with no development like that. Come on she needed at least 3 episodes of development just for that to be somewhat feels worthy. This was so anti-climatic and knocks the series down a few pegs for me.

Agreed. I was disappointed with this and most of the things going on in her past didn't make any sense at all. They needed to get this part right and I don't think they managed it.

That's putting it politely...

Not only did they not manage it, this was so mangled it's trashed most of what's gone before.

How the hell are they going to salvage this?

Frankly I don't think they are, the intent seems to be to paint Sayu and Yoshida's relationship in the best possible light, even Asami appears to be rooting for them now!!

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Jun 1, 2021 5:23 AM

Dec 2015
What a shitty episode.

Sayu ran away from home and went through everything just because she once had a fight with her mother? I'm very disappointed in that show.

And her school friend was so stupid I don't know how to comment this shit.
Jun 1, 2021 5:28 AM
Mar 2021
This anime has the worst episode ever sayu backstory is so cliche
Jun 1, 2021 5:29 AM
Dec 2018
borderliner said:
Gab5 said:

Agreed. I was disappointed with this and most of the things going on in her past didn't make any sense at all. They needed to get this part right and I don't think they managed it.

That's putting it politely...

Not only did they not manage it, this was so mangled it's trashed most of what's gone before.

How the hell are they going to salvage this?

Frankly I don't think they are, the intent seems to be to paint Sayu and Yoshida's relationship in the best possible light, even Asami appears to be rooting for them now!!

Yes, that was the clincher, really. After everything, Asami is telling Yoshida to do something about it, as if he doesn't have a life of his own. . Everything we have seen in the last 2 or 3 weeks has been designed to point the two MCs in the direction of each other, regardless of what has gone on before or any kind of logic.
Jun 1, 2021 5:35 AM
Apr 2019
This show seems to be seriously dropping in quality... disregarding the animation, the execution of the backstory was poor. Like, was Sayu really not trying to do anything the whole time her friend was being bullied? And when she committed suicide, Sayu really just stood there and watched.... I’m sure this kind of thing happens, but it’s hard to feel sympathetic under those circumstances. I’m not saying she should blame herself, but it is frustrating to watch. This episode at least had some nice moments like always... I dunno. This show had a really great start and great moments, and I’m a little disappointed the adaptation is so awkward.
2.5/5
Jun 1, 2021 5:48 AM

Feb 2014
I was expecting something bigger between Sayu and her mom's indifference but to turn out it was the case of bullying just didn't hit me harder. And seeing Sayu go out of control with her freedom reminds me of myself going nuts over days and months without any food and interaction. Really the dark times of free reign.

MegamiRem said:
Sayu's brother is plain dumb. Who tf gives an underage girl money and let's her run away all alone. Having a little sister myself I have no freaking idea how a big brother could do that.

Yeah at least he could have had his guards at the hotel or the room where she stayed. Feels dumb.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Jun 1, 2021 5:52 AM

Nov 2014
penrhos said:
Rushed adaptation:-

They missed out the bits about Sayu's father completely, which explains why her mother despises Sayu.

They missed out things Sayu's brother said to try and help her before giving her the cash.

They skipped the information on why she sat in a hotel masturbating (I'm a bad girl - I must do bad things) so it just looked like she was a horny teenager.

She didn't just throw the phone away because it was flat - she was constantly texted asking if she was coming back home.

The whole sad only friend, bullying, school thing was cut down to meaningless snippets.

The conversation with Yoshida & Asami was heavily edited.

I means they stuffed 8 chapters into this one episode, and all of them detailed the trauma that Sayu has gone through, her dysfunctional rich family and why her school life was so bad. Basically she's suffering from PTSD and a complete loss of self-worth, if Yoshida hadn't rescued her she was rapidly heading down the child prostitution, being sex-trafficked or suicide route....

Wonder Egg Priority handled school friends suicide so much better. I'll probably score the Anime -2 points from the LN score (once I've managed to read the bits that haven't been released/translated yet). So it's dropping from a 8 down to a 6 unless it picks up in the last leg.

Looking at this really pains me after looking at the final product of the anime, because what i read actually sounds pretty decent.

A proof that bad adaptations can completely ruin a story.
Jun 1, 2021 5:55 AM
Jul 2018
Yeah, Sayu's backstory was a little underwhelming. Was enjoying this a lot more before the last episode or last two episodes.
Jun 1, 2021 5:59 AM

Oct 2016
Good episode. We finally find out Sayu's backstory, it was really sad. Bullying is a pretty prevalent thing in Japan from what I know, so this was all things that happens in real life. But, at the same time I am a little disappointed with the way it was presented, it felt really lacking and rushed. I am sure it was probably way better in the LN. It did remind me of Wonder Egg Priority, specifically Koito, but the execution is night and day.

Glad Issa was a good dude, he was at least looking out for Sayu until she threw away her phone because she didn't want to be contacted. Sayu's mother is trash though, instead of being there for her daughter, she blames her. I wonder what Yoshida will do about this.
Jun 1, 2021 6:54 AM

Mar 2012
I had already guessed her backstory from the opening theme and one of the scenes from the previous episodes so I'm not really surprised.
Jun 1, 2021 8:47 AM

Jul 2020
her backstory was bad I guess.

Sayu saying that she will leave the house was off.

What happened to the money that her brother gave? It's a lot of money her brother is rich.

Why do you need to leave in the hotel if you have enough money? Guess what? She just masturbated a lot in her fucking hotel. And after she's not satisfied on her selfshe just wandered around the city to satisfied herself more (but this time with a guy).

Her brother can just contact the hotel and check up when she left the hotel and check all the cctv lmao

from 7/10 to 6/10 what a letdown
_TheodoreJun 1, 2021 8:50 AM
Jun 1, 2021 9:28 AM

Mar 2014
Sayu has it rough huh, her best friend commit suicide (really sad to see that, she is so great) and her Mommy are just the worst. No wonder she ran away from home
Jun 1, 2021 10:11 AM
Feb 2018
I was right and wrong the family does want her back for selfish reason not an arranged marriage but to get the school for their backs. the school failed to stop the bullies but know that a rich student may not come back they try it sad. I was completely wrong about the brother but maybe he should have kept a closer eye on Sayu. I think Sayu should stay maybe not with Yoshida but nearby gong back to her hateful mother and cruel classmates not the best thing but with Yoshida, Gouto Asami and even Yuzuha to help her she can move forward.
Jun 1, 2021 10:38 AM

Nov 2016
I remember that I said this show wasn't remarkable. I take that back, this was remarkably stupid. From the bullies, to Yuuko, Sayu's family and Sayu herself. All devoid of common sense.

Admittedly there have been worse scenarios in rl, doesn't change the fact how poorly executed it was here. Dunno how it was handled in the LN and it doesn't really matter tbh.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 1, 2021 11:39 AM
Jan 2021
zDoug said:
FeelPain said:

She is 15 and in her puberty. Everyone gets horny very fast in his puberty

Yes, it's natural for your friend to kill himself and you go to relieve yourself because it's puberty. hahah

It really makes sense, understood have a great day.
Bro what do you expect from her. A lot of time has passed since her friend died. I think she already cried a lot and in that time i dont think she did something like that.
Jun 1, 2021 2:10 PM

Jul 2012
There's a lot to unpack here...

The minute I saw Yuuko I figured it out immediately: "I'm the ugly/unpopular one" > Bullying > Suicide.
You know? For once I would like for an anime to portray an ugly girl as... you know, ugly? (most precisely as "non-conventional pretty"). Cause glasses+freckles+ponytails doesn't do it, fam. She looked almost the same as Sayu except for that lol

Now, for the bullying, let me get this straight... They bully Yuuko because Sayu is cute and cool? And because Sayu rejected some of the bullies' crushes? Like what? Does this happens in real life? Do you not get bullied because you're "attractive and cool" and instead your "least attractive friend" gets it?... Because I've heard a lot of cases of "pretty girls" being actually attacked cause of jealousy. And if you're "cool"... Well, doesn't that make you popular???
What's more, shouldn't that bully be happy that her crush got rejected by Sayu so she still has a chance? I don't understand this, man.

Now... The whole reason for why she left home, I get it. Your only friend commits suicide in front of you and while you're dealing with the grieving of that loss (and guilt, because the bullying was "supposedly" because of Sayu) your horrible mother gets mad, yells at you for giving the family "problems" and on top of that, doubts if you actually killed your friend... Yeah, I would have wanted to get out there as well.

Her brother... I knew he had good intentions, cause he looks like a good guy, but he's just stupid. "Let's give a teen girl a lot of money and give her all freedom to do whatever she likes, even cutting ties with her completely. What could possibly go wrong?"... How about everything??. What you do as an adult sibling is taking her in and taking care of her. She was not only a clueless teen, she just saw her only friend die! She needs emotional support and love, not leaving her alone with a big stash of money.

To be honest, I didn't have a lot of hopes for her backstory to be actually compelling and well executed. So yeah.
Jun 1, 2021 3:25 PM
anime pervert

Apr 2013
No thud after she jumped off the building, so friends and I just started laughing.. nothing to do there so she just flew off.
Jun 1, 2021 7:37 PM

Jan 2013
We finally know about Sayu's past, it's like 50/50, i am glad that we finally know about her past but on the other, we have more details about what happened to her...
Also, her friend committed suicide, she was clearly mentally unstable at that moment, do wish it didn't end like that.
And the whole Sayu's mom situation lmao

After all her brother doesn't seem that bad at all, more on the opposite, it seems that he's the only one who cares about her right now.

That ending scene, oh boy! 4 episodes left and i really hope that it won't feel rushed.
"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jun 1, 2021 7:46 PM

Jun 2019
HikariShoumeiron said:
There's a lot to unpack here...

The minute I saw Yuuko I figured it out immediately: "I'm the ugly/unpopular one" > Bullying > Suicide.
You know? For once I would like for an anime to portray an ugly girl as... you know, ugly? (most precisely as "non-conventional pretty"). Cause glasses+freckles+ponytails doesn't do it, fam. She looked almost the same as Sayu except for that lol

Now, for the bullying, let me get this straight... They bully Yuuko because Sayu is cute and cool? And because Sayu rejected some of the bullies' crushes? Like what? Does this happens in real life? Do you not get bullied because you're "attractive and cool" and instead your "least attractive friend" gets it?... Because I've heard a lot of cases of "pretty girls" being actually attacked cause of jealousy. And if you're "cool"... Well, doesn't that make you popular???
What's more, shouldn't that bully be happy that her crush got rejected by Sayu so she still has a chance? I don't understand this, man.

Now... The whole reason for why she left home, I get it. Your only friend commits suicide in front of you and while you're dealing with the grieving of that loss (and guilt, because the bullying was "supposedly" because of Sayu) your horrible mother gets mad, yells at you for giving the family "problems" and on top of that, doubts if you actually killed your friend... Yeah, I would have wanted to get out there as well.

Her brother... I knew he had good intentions, cause he looks like a good guy, but he's just stupid. "Let's give a teen girl a lot of money and give her all freedom to do whatever she likes, even cutting ties with her completely. What could possibly go wrong?"... How about everything??. What you do as an adult sibling is taking her in and taking care of her. She was not only a clueless teen, she just saw her only friend die! She needs emotional support and love, not leaving her alone with a big stash of money.

To be honest, I didn't have a lot of hopes for her backstory to be actually compelling and well executed. So yeah.

Good comment. Pretty similar to my thoughts.
Jun 1, 2021 9:14 PM
Mar 2021
Its now episode 9 and its good, tho they really didnt portray everything that has happened in sayus past.. if u were really paying attention, u would notice every detail.. and i mean that they shortened the parts where a boy asked her out, and the bullying parts.. also, if i hadnt known about sayus past from a youtube vid, i may not have noticed these things that i mentioned.. tho they may have done it to conserve time, just like how they got kanda out of the picture as well, and fast forwarded the story.. in any case, this episode is a very strong message, that bullying is no light or laughing matter.. as i have tried it once, and as also someone who might be bullied without even knowing (my pace kind of guy), i know what its like.. to bully and be bullied.. i deeply regret everything that has happened, and would think that if things were worse, i might have regretted it even more.. there were too many factors at play in my life back then, that i cant just pinpoint the source or reason why and how that happened.. but in yukas case, everything was clear, and thats the reason why she did a suicide.. in the LN, its said that yuka was subject to many bullyibg sessions by many girls at school, which was the main reason why she did that.. she couldnt handle it all any longer.. i didnt read the LN, but it might be that sooner or later, sayus brother discovers sayu and he talks to yoshida to return her.. tho in the anime, as well as maybe in the manga and LN, the appearance of her brother is why shes now telling her past to them.. since no one can run away from their past, one can only accept and move on.. anyways, i rate the episode a 4.5 of 5, 4.5 for both story and art.. :)
Jun 1, 2021 9:15 PM
Mar 2021
Its now episode 9 and its good, tho they really didnt portray everything that has happened in sayus past.. if u were really paying attention, u would notice every detail.. and i mean that they shortened the parts where a boy asked her out, and the bullying parts.. also, if i hadnt known about sayus past from a youtube vid, i may not have noticed these things that i mentioned.. tho they may have done it to conserve time, just like how they got kanda out of the picture as well, and fast forwarded the story.. in any case, this episode is a very strong message, that bullying is no light or laughing matter.. as i have tried it once, and as also someone who might be bullied without even knowing (my pace kind of guy), i know what its like.. to bully and be bullied.. i deeply regret everything that has happened, and would think that if things were worse, i might have regretted it even more.. there were too many factors at play in my life back then, that i cant just pinpoint the source or reason why and how that happened.. but in yukas case, everything was clear, and thats the reason why she did a suicide.. in the LN, its said that yuka was subject to many bullyibg sessions by many girls at school, which was the main reason why she did that.. she couldnt handle it all any longer.. i didnt read the LN, but it might be that sooner or later, sayus brother discovers sayu and he talks to yoshida to return her.. tho in the anime, as well as maybe in the manga and LN, the appearance of her brother is why shes now telling her past to them.. since no one can run away from their past, one can only accept and move on.. anyways, i rate the episode a 4.5 of 5, 4.5 for both story and art.. :)
Jun 1, 2021 10:10 PM

May 2019
Its stupidity is off the chart now. What kind of brother who will let his sister left the home become homeless then sell her body so that she could afford place to stay. I coulnd't believe people would still buy this kind of backstory ? Why would she and her friend don't report to the teacher already when her friend is bullied ? The premise in the beginning sure looks very interesting when a good guy managed to let her stay and become a better person. And at this point surely everything is going to become shit already. But I still want to see how it ends.

Jun 1, 2021 10:31 PM

Apr 2018
Ah we finally see Sayu's past and how bad she was treated by her parents. Damn, If I was in that position and my parents blamed me for my best friends death I woulda gtfo as well.
Jun 1, 2021 11:28 PM

Jul 2020
vincentko said:
Its stupidity is off the chart now. What kind of brother who will let his sister left the home become homeless then sell her body so that she could afford place to stay. I coulnd't believe people would still buy this kind of backstory ? Why would she and her friend don't report to the teacher already when her friend is bullied ? The premise in the beginning sure looks very interesting when a good guy managed to let her stay and become a better person. And at this point surely everything is going to become shit already. But I still want to see how it ends.

And the things that didn't make sense to me is "What happened to the money that her brother gave?" right? Did she used all of it? If no, she can get an apartment after she left in the hotel? idk

this episode was off
Jun 2, 2021 12:06 AM

Nov 2012
After this ep, what I got was this:

-Sayu's friend was a weak person, but for me, the lines before the fall weren't something a suicidal girl would say, even her face, but well, thats how anime went, nothing to do about it. This reminds me the Durarara sisters and the bullying scene.
-Sayu's mistake was to sell her body, just that, maybe not relying more on her brother too.
-Sayu's brother was so nice, she could just ask him for help. He accepted her running away from home, gave her money, advices and to call him if something happened. Maybe the only thing I would wanted him to do for her was a daily call to see how she was doing. I dont know if in LN and/or manga he knows what Sayu did to live on after she spent all the money., but I feel he would be devastated.
-Sayu's mother looks like a cold one and maybe she said that in the heat of the moment, but maybe she really cares for her.

Of course, LN and manga must develop this issue with a lot of details and even something different.

My Candies:

Jun 2, 2021 12:10 AM

Apr 2021
This episode was so pathetic that i had to watch 2 times speed
Jun 2, 2021 1:53 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Oh wow. What a backstory. Summary, its a pretty fucked up story, to say the least. The glasses girl really become the one whose triggered all of the event, additionally with her mom, everything went down the hill quickly. Feels crap about those girl motives? Nah, its pretty make a sense for me. Get bullied, used another reason to covered up the true reason. Its about bully, and Yuuko can't think other good reason, except those things, whose kinda bullshit for everyone else. At least i can still respect, her way of thinking, after all those shit hit her hard. Rip.

Sayu, why you can tough it all out by yourself? Can't blame her now for being so twisted; leaving the damn place, had a little play, and ended up used her body as a good trade material. Yoshida really become a good figure to her lifes, eh? At least its good enough to closed all the dirt she got previously. Well, everyone have their mistakes...

I feel like, its not the best backstory i've ever seen when seeing some anime. But, tbh, its good enough to blown my mind, with all of those sceneries, together with, erh, Sayu play. I think that's it for this one. Now lets see Yoshida true respond over Sayu decision. Or no? I hope Yoshida not giving some generic obvious respond. Because i wanna see this become a solid drama, until the end of the day....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jun 2, 2021 3:24 AM

Aug 2014
Some stupid mistakes I can understand in this episode, but some not. I can understand that Yuuko wanted to kill herself forbeing bullied, but what happened to her wasn't enough to do it. She also did not fight back or seek help at all... stupid girl ruined her best friend Sayu life by suiciding on her eyes.

Next is Sayu, when her brother was so kind to her and even gave her money and left alone and trusted her she should have called him when she spent all the money. Maybe he didn't call to her, but even if that wouldn't have to mean he forgot about her. He would probably give her more money or would get a house to life together with her. Help her change the school.
Instead she went and ruined her life with strangers when she could get help from brother.

and don't tell me that is because they are kids
I know many people and myself who wouldn't do the mistakes above ;/ I mean come on? she is 17 right?

I hope it won't end up with Yoshida marrying Sayu just to save her from her mother lol
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
Jun 2, 2021 4:34 AM
Nov 2019
1) The brother is a busy rich businessman - he doesn't have time to babysit Sayu.
2) He knows the home atmosphere is Toxic and doesn't want to get involved.
3) He gave Sayu cash to get away for a bit thinking she just needed to relax and chill for a bit.
4) He was constantly texting her asking "when are you coming home?" - which is part of reason she threw phone away.
5) The mother was hassling the brother to find Sayu (because the school where on her back due to the length of Sayu's absence and the reason she'd left).
6) Even having the day off work to see Sayu/Yoshida was a problem due to the position in the company he holds.
7) There's the whole "bringing shame on the family name" issue bubbling underneath.
8) He makes the same mistake Sayu made with her friend - assuming someone can cope with the pressure with a little help (when they obviously can't).
Jun 2, 2021 9:48 AM

May 2018
Ok ok so that's Sayuu's backstory, if I understand this correctly, it would seem that Sayu wasn't able to meet her mom expectation , unlike her onichan , so in the end she simply gave up and decided to be a loser like she's always been....that simply make her alienated from the rest of her classmates.....Now, basically she would've have been a target of bullying, but because of her family's influence, them would be bullies can't touch her. Now , come Yuuko, the only friend that Sayu has ever had, but as fate would have it them bullies can't touch Sayu so they decide to do the next best thing and yes that is to go for Yuuko......Yuuko being the weak link has had enough of all the bullying has decide to take her own life.
Jun 2, 2021 4:24 PM

Oct 2009
Gazz said:
Wow. Wrong decision after one another. I'm maybe being nitpicky but that girl who commited suicide is an idiot.

Being bullied? Call the teacher, parents, or even the police.
You commited suicide only because the calm and cool beautiful lady Sayu is hanging out with a nerd loser like you? Thats smart.

Now, about Sayu. All of her problem is not because she is unlucky, its because she makes bad decisions after bad decisions. Her brother clearly cares for her yet she let herself become prostitute rather than contacting his brother. What a selfish girl.

Higehiro was interesting from the start. But after Sayu decided to have part time job, the plot started to went all south.

This forced drama is stupis in my opinion. Few episodes left and I hope it gets better later on.

They're kids, of course they act stupid. They don't know better, no one taught them better. Yes, committing suicide is stupid, it's never a rational decision but it happens. Look at Japan's suicide rate, one of the highest in the world.

If I have to say anyone is stupid, it would be her brother for just letting her go alone with some money.
Jun 2, 2021 8:36 PM
Community Mod
Aug 2019
Thread Cleaned.

Things to note moving forward in this episode discussion:

Refrain from unnecessary baiting, off-topic responses, insults, and inflammatory replies. These kinds of posts just advocate and result in more like-minded replies.

Finally, make sure to only post one screenshot in succeeding posts.
Jun 3, 2021 5:33 AM

Apr 2020
really simple back story i guess, sayu just an overthinking girl, I'm a little disappointed that you can really guess the plot by seeing the op
Jun 3, 2021 5:53 AM
Oct 2009
wow that backstory was even stupider than I thought xD typical school bullying, but Sayu isn't even the victim because she's "too pretty" LOOL! Everything went by so quick it felt like she met her friend 2 weeks prior and now Yuuko can't take it anymore and kills herself... not because of the bullying but because her Goddess Sayu doesn't smile much anymore? Like I'm sorry but she sounded unhinged.

And then why would her mom even think Sayu killed her, that doesn't make any sense xD even if she's angry, I doubt people usually assume their 16 year-old daughter to be murderers when drama happens. Issa is like o no that's so bad you should run away from home. ???? Nothing made sense xD but at least it was funny instead of boring like the past 3 episodes.
Jun 3, 2021 10:07 AM

Sep 2018
What, all that suffering for a selfish, pathetic toxic friend? The only things Yuuko did while on screen was objectify Sayu while making her feel guilty about things that weren't her fault at all. Someone committing suicide before your eyes is obviously traumatizing, but the emotional aspect was dry as hell. If you wanna make us relate to Sayu's grief for some random ass insecure narcissist, you're gonna need either a better character or a whole lot more time. I thought the characterization in this show had potential, but this cringey backstory definitely flushed the rest of my remaining hopes down the drain...
Jun 3, 2021 5:46 PM

Dec 2016
Amamonogatari said:
But what sane person does that to make them feel better?

Sorry for just quoting this fragment because I think you missed the point that it wasn't portrayed as a "good thing", that she wasn't "sane" at that time. It was clearly shown that Saiu was feeling worst and worst and was doing bad decisions... you could say this was equivalent of using alcohol as a way of coping and forgeting even if for just a second.
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.97/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.164/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.86/? - weekly)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.63/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.53/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Jun 3, 2021 5:57 PM
Dec 2019
Yoshida better not hook up with her that would suck pretty bad
Wataru doesn't care about the genuine thing
Jun 3, 2021 11:40 PM

May 2021
What's with these hateful comments?
I get it Sayu's backstory wasn't good. But aren't you overreacting?
Jun 4, 2021 5:17 AM
Mar 2021
Finally, we got to see the backstory of Sayu before she ran away and her reasoning behind it.

I like the fact that she didn't just tell Yoshida she told Asami as well which I appreciate
Jun 4, 2021 9:44 AM

Apr 2012
The writing concerning the brother's help at the start is pretty dumb. Not much thought was put into this and he looked pretty stupid with a shortsighted plan... Here's some money ...like, dude wtf.

- He didn't care where she went eventhough he knew that his sister had no experience living outside the home.
- He didn't house her somewhere else. He should've at least gotten Sayu a temporary place to keep her from being on the streets. If he couldn't afford it then help her crash at a relative's house or a close friend's place for a while.

Even if the story needs for Sayu to really run away then the author should've at least let the brother provide the appropriate help like I mentioned before she actually bailed and ended up in "various" situations.
Just handing cash to your little sister without a thought out plan to wonder the streets is BAKA BAKA BAKA!!!
Janethan23Jun 4, 2021 9:54 AM
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hige wo Soru. Soshite Joshikousei wo Hirou. Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 28, 2021

302 by griddyweeb »»
Apr 6, 8:37 AM

Poll: » Hige wo Soru. Soshite Joshikousei wo Hirou. Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 14, 2021

155 by mushi_Jyou »»
Mar 30, 4:57 AM

Poll: » Hige wo Soru. Soshite Joshikousei wo Hirou. Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 24, 2021

185 by Dreadogastus_F »»
Mar 12, 8:09 PM

» Season 2?

Koukyoukyoku - Jan 8

22 by cjozam »»
Jan 17, 10:23 PM

Poll: » Hige wo Soru. Soshite Joshikousei wo Hirou. Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 21, 2021

212 by RawrOMG »»
Jan 14, 12:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.