Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 26, 2021 10:30 AM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ooh, dabbling in the gacha business, that's what you get for the rat character Tanaka and the start and end of his "revolution". Soma Saito does a wonderful job voicing Tanaka and his monologue of his mundane life.

Eraser collecting and wealth gap...hmm, hierarchy purposes from erasers...all is but exaggerations and lies. The competition is strong between this seal Sato and Tanaka for rarity (to which the latter adores dodos). From a low-class student to trying to attain an one-of-a-kind rare Donraku eraser using his dad's credit card, WELP children don't learn from Tanaka stealing money. The online auction bids can go as high as rivals wanted it to be, and the desperation is REAL. Some pretty deep themes of the social hierarchy using wealth gaps, and he just lost it all: "no refunds, no returns", NO OPTIONS. The eraser deal, the auction, family, friends, it all ended there and then.

Going back to the gacha game, it's not hard to exemplify the SSR status, and to make things better, it's a dodo. Being cheated and distraught of his situation just for a dodo and get revenge against the person who cheated him, it looks like he made it after 16 years of treading his life on the line and spending THAT much money. Sadly, the interference of Odokawa's taxi almost running over him in the prior episode caused his world to go upside down.

The intent of Tanaka to find Odokawa's taxi to kill Odakawa with Dobu's gun, the look on his face is essentially robbed...the pep talk with hippo Shibagaki not hoping for much luck for pleasantries. What a twisted life of ups and downs for Tanaka, suffering after suffering, and he might've just found his Dodo.

What brillant storytelling with seemingly unrelated characters that lend themselves to the big picture.
KANLen09Apr 26, 2021 12:00 PM
Apr 26, 2021 11:59 AM

Jun 2012
Holy shit, what an amazing episode.

This feels like it's going to be the kind of story where everything falls apart at it's climax and then somehow in the chaos manages to come together.
Apr 26, 2021 12:02 PM

May 2020
Damn, what an unlucky and depressing life this dude had!
Apr 26, 2021 12:02 PM

Jun 2020
Holy shit this is the type of show I didn't know I wanted to watch, until I did. At the beginning of the episode, I was like yo who tf this random dude, this segment better be like 3 minutes tops but by the end, all I can say is holy shit it's so compelling
This anime shit is addictive
Apr 26, 2021 12:05 PM

Jun 2019
Aww... that Dodo Bird and his owner's relationship was so sweet. Eraser collection might be an interesting collection. ngl. Bidding on it might be a little too much especially going with that amount of money... damn. He definitely messed up there. Poor guy.

And above that, he fell into the rabbit hole of gacha games. I felt his happiness when he finally got that DODO bird. He was so happy and then everything changed. I mean how unlucky can you be for that to happen.

That was a really great episode. what amazing storytelling and it was pretty deep as well imo. He's gone insane and there's no coming back if he did something terrible at this point of his life. I'm feeling really bad for this dude.
Pre_YumApr 26, 2021 12:09 PM
Apr 26, 2021 12:05 PM
Sep 2015
And the Oscar for best supporting actor goes to...
Apr 26, 2021 12:06 PM

Dec 2013
I forget, we saw another character with the rare eraser in the first or second episode I remember, but I forget who owned it. Maybe somehow it'll find its way to Tanaka, whether legitimately or ironically?

Central Time (US)
Apr 26, 2021 12:07 PM

Jan 2021
Damn, the problem is simple, but the way they tell it to you is simply spectacular 0.0

Watch out Odakawa, he's crazy (O_O;)
Apr 26, 2021 12:24 PM

Dec 2016
Inuyashiki's Trump vs Odd Taxi's Trump. Hmmmm

Apr 26, 2021 12:42 PM
Apr 2019
Damn, that episode was good. A descend into gacha hell which ruined his life and psyche, pretty unsettling stuff. This is also pretty reflective of real life, no doubt there have been people that had a similar experience as Tanaka. This anime just continues to impress me with it's writing. Looking forward to the next episode!
Apr 26, 2021 12:42 PM

Dec 2015
Holy crap. One of the best episodes. Can't remember when I saw a crazy anime like this the last time. The episodic story was great - also how they tied it to the other parts/characters.

Guy gotten scammed. And trying to compare himself to others. Later the same in the game. (Would be funny if the guy that scammed him and is #1 in the game ... was the guy from school with the expensive rubbers. And if it was the business partner of the guy he met on the street.)

Crazy how just the taxi came. Then the bird died. And he found the weapon.

Did we see the scene where they guy dropped his phone from the point of view of the taxi driver yet (in one of the prevous episodes)? If not ... then they might show this later.
Apr 26, 2021 12:43 PM

May 2018
Usually I hate flashbacks...this was a nicely done one.
Apr 26, 2021 12:45 PM

Jun 2019
That was one of the most in-depth, genuine character studies I have ever seen in anime, all within a single episode and on a character that was not even introduced yet. It was really facinating how this character went on a downward spiral and the reasons that the anime provides as to why it happened. I’m really looking forward to how this character impacts this anime going forward.
Apr 26, 2021 12:58 PM

Feb 2017
TheMidnightWolf said:
I forget, we saw another character with the rare eraser in the first or second episode I remember, but I forget who owned it. Maybe somehow it'll find its way to Tanaka, whether legitimately or ironically?

Shirakawa had it and just shoved it into Odokawa's shirt pocket, I'm guessing while Tanaka is trying to kill Odokawa it'll show up and he'll brake even further.
Apr 26, 2021 1:05 PM
Mar 2020
Awesome episode, this anime is my favourite of the season so far, it's incredible how it succeeds to portray interesting situations with interesting dialogues between characters that you just met, in this episode, we met a completely new character, not even 5 minutes in and I already care for him, I should even mention how it incredibly shows the monotony of life, the dodo really represents how life is a cycle of following something that you can't have, when he found the gun I got chills, I can't wait for the next episode
Apr 26, 2021 1:18 PM

Feb 2020
Easily the best episode yet. Great storytelling.
Apr 26, 2021 1:57 PM

Jun 2013
They really had one single character carrying the entire episode mostly by monologue and introspective mental spiraling, and made it work seamlessly--god damn, Odd Taxi. This was both a great and unnerving episode.
Apr 26, 2021 2:05 PM
Dec 2017
Pre_Yum said:
I felt his happiness when he finally got that DODO bird. He was so happy and then everything changed.

When the taxi nation attacked.
Apr 26, 2021 2:19 PM

Oct 2016
I wonder what will happen if he finds out Odakawa has that rare Donraku eraser and then just gives him that eraser.

MosuwainApr 14, 11:00 AM
Apr 26, 2021 2:36 PM

Aug 2020
This game drove him to point of wanting to kill someone, holy shit.
Apr 26, 2021 3:12 PM
Apr 2021
Fuck i feel like im following the same pattern
Apr 26, 2021 3:15 PM

Jan 2016
Luthandorius said:
Holy crap. One of the best episodes. Can't remember when I saw a crazy anime like this the last time. The episodic story was great - also how they tied it to the other parts/characters.

Guy gotten scammed. And trying to compare himself to others. Later the same in the game. (Would be funny if the guy that scammed him and is #1 in the game ... was the guy from school with the expensive rubbers. And if it was the business partner of the guy he met on the street.)

Crazy how just the taxi came. Then the bird died. And he found the weapon.

Did we see the scene where they guy dropped his phone from the point of view of the taxi driver yet (in one of the prevous episodes)? If not ... then they might show this later.
The guy he met in the street was the talk show host and we've already been introduced to both him and his partner.
Apr 26, 2021 3:19 PM

Jan 2016
This is definitely the best episode I've seen this season. This episode's MC dropping his phone, if you view it as a form of tragic comedy, is one of the best built-up jokes I've ever seen in entertainment. The rest of the episode did an outstanding job cementing the tragedy of this character. It all felt like something realistic that could happen, and the monologue was executed fantastically.
Apr 26, 2021 3:26 PM

Sep 2019
Holy shit this was an incredible episode. As someone who likes playing gacha games, this episode made me really anxious. The storytelling was amazing, a character explained his life whole episode but it wasn't boring at all. It was really smooth and engaging. I could feel his depression through the screen. I love how the different events from different episodes connect perfectly. He drops his phone because of Odokawa, his bird dies, digs soil to bury it and finds the gun that Dobu left. I can't wait to what else they'll connect to the events from today's episode.

Edit: The nurse had that eraser and she gave it to Odokawa in the first episode... WOW. I’m mind blown, it looks like this show will keep getting better.
z00nexApr 27, 2021 4:18 AM
Apr 26, 2021 3:32 PM

Oct 2020
This episode was absolutely fantastic. Actually kind of sad if you really think about the turn this dudes life took.
Apr 26, 2021 3:33 PM

Oct 2019
Luxeraph said:
TheMidnightWolf said:

Shirakawa had it and just shoved it into Odokawa's shirt pocket, I'm guessing while Tanaka is trying to kill Odokawa it'll show up and he'll brake even further.

I forget, did she say how she got that eraser? If not I wonder how she got it?
Apr 26, 2021 3:46 PM

Dec 2013
Luxeraph said:
TheMidnightWolf said:

Oh I remember now! I had a feeling it was with Odokawa but wasn't 100% thanks!
And yeah, yikes. It'll either be his tipping point or his salvation at this rate. I can see Odokawa talking him out of it only for the eraser to show up or possibly the very opposite happening. Crazy how this show goes in so many different directions.

[quote=ZappyCake21 message=62933196]
Luxeraph said:

I'm remembering a bit more now and I think it's because she's a fan of the rakugo that the eraser is referencing? OOO what if she's, in fact, ditch-11??

Central Time (US)
Apr 26, 2021 4:11 PM

Apr 2020
Jesus...yet another shady character out to get Odokawa....starting to get worried about my boy :(...although the Dodo in his pocket SHOULD save him, at least from this one.

Tanaka has such a realistic backstory. Almost feels like Im watching a Netflix Documentary about some Gacha-Addict or something xD

Loved this Episode.

Hope they can bring all the different dots together in the end. Story is really leashing out left and right.

EDIT: Shirakawa beeing ditch-11 feels right, isn't it? I mean, that could mean she really conned 10,000 Yen. Could mean she used that money to pay off her student loan? Could mean she's not a Thief.

Although Im kinda wondering. Wasn't she just a kid or at least a Teenager aswell, in that flashback? Maybe she saved up...
Merve2LoveApr 26, 2021 4:28 PM
Apr 26, 2021 4:24 PM

Jan 2012
That episode... Crazy, unexpected interlude.

https://oddtaxi.jp/gacha/

Got the Super Rare Dodo, sorry Tanaka.

TheMidnightWolf said:

I'm remembering a bit more now and I think it's because she's a fan of the rakugo that the eraser is referencing? OOO what if she's, in fact, ditch-11??

She's 28 currently and the eraser story was 16 years ago. Doesnt really fit in, we know she needed money for her selfish student life, but she was only 12 at that time. She also doesnt really seem to understand how she got it.

Dr Goruki also talked about Rakugo and switched topic, so he's pretty sus especially with his disappearence, but no real clue there.
Apr 26, 2021 4:49 PM

Dec 2013
Damn that was a great episode. Such a beautiful buildup of the insanity of a seemingly unrelated character — entirely through inner monologue at that!
Apr 26, 2021 4:55 PM

Nov 2015
I have no idea how to feel about this episode. It was depressing as all hell and didn't even follow our MC. It wasn't bad but oof man.
Apr 26, 2021 5:03 PM

Jul 2011
The father could have beaten much more, because looks like wasn't enough.

So he got the Dodo, and lost "because" of the taxi, when was more a problem of cloud saving from the developer. So the guy is sending death threats to the developer too?

Is dumb tell the story of a new character when we have many more interesting characters that we barely know about their past.
Apr 26, 2021 5:08 PM

Oct 2020
Jesus, the storytelling in this show is insane. I genuinely have no idea where it's gonna go next.
Apr 26, 2021 5:16 PM
Jun 2019
This was very well done for an episode that basically amounts to one guy's monologue. It pulls you so deep into this guy's story that you don't even expect they're setting up a villain until the last few minutes. This will almost certainly pay off massively as the mystery unravels in coming episodes.
Apr 26, 2021 5:29 PM

Dec 2015
Ah yes. A lot of details pointed out by the others. Makes sense that Shirakawa might be the one that scammed the guy with the eraser.

Funny thing - when I checked episode 3: The accident happened when Shirakawa messaged Odakawa that she wanted to meet him. Then he drove super fast and the other guy dropped his phone lol.

It wasn't even some emergency. Just Odakawa wanting to see a girl. If the guy knew this he'd get even more furious.
Apr 26, 2021 5:37 PM
Jul 2018
This guy didn't have a good life, he practically spent ten thousand on a game lol, that's a lot.
Apr 26, 2021 6:44 PM

Oct 2019
[quote=TheMidnightWolf message=62933283]
Luxeraph said:
TheMidnightWolf said:

Oh I remember now! I had a feeling it was with Odokawa but wasn't 100% thanks!
And yeah, yikes. It'll either be his tipping point or his salvation at this rate. I can see Odokawa talking him out of it only for the eraser to show up or possibly the very opposite happening. Crazy how this show goes in so many different directions.

ZappyCake21 said:
Luxeraph said:

That could be very possible! If that is the case then I wonder why she scammed Tanaka out of the money?
Apr 26, 2021 6:44 PM
Sep 2017
sanlei said:

woah congrats! haha
i got the two star snow leopard, cool that they added this to the official site
Apr 26, 2021 6:56 PM

Oct 2016
I've never seen anything like this in anime. It's actually scary how good this is.
Apr 26, 2021 7:00 PM

Feb 2020
Yo guys, don't be like Tanaka. Don't spend tens of thousands of US dollars into a gacha. Despite that, this episode shows to be very insightful into the condition of addicts. Cool monologue.

However there are good chances he will somehow mess up the plans of those Yakuza guys. Would be very interested to see how that turns out.
Apr 26, 2021 7:19 PM

Feb 2021
tanaka is probably gonna get involved with the yakuza, because the odd taxi is the center of everything
Apr 26, 2021 8:55 PM
Mar 2015
Sometimes you just can't buy a break
Apr 26, 2021 9:37 PM
Jun 2017
FINALLY, BIRDS MENTIONED!

This was an interesting episode, though, with a story that gets your eyes fixed unto the screen.

But I wonder where did I see that eraser earlier... The doctor had it, hadn't he? Or was it Miss... Sheep, whatever her name was?

The dodo, an animal unable to fly. By all standards, a useless bird.
Kind of like Tanaka.

It's curious to see how every story gets entangled with the other ones, like a multiplicity of straws making up a figure. I'm curious to know which figure will we have at the end.

Anyway, don't be a gachatard like Tanaka.

But I wonder what will his role be in this wonderful story.
Apr 26, 2021 10:41 PM

Mar 2021
In my opinion, this episode talks a lot about revenge and competetition and how can

someone become addicted to it even after 16 years. These two themes presented

themselves within Tanaka perspectives as his struggle on getting SSR Dodo manifest itself

in his everyday life which steadly becoming more and more dark and depressing. This is why I

love this show so much.

Apr 26, 2021 11:14 PM

Dec 2020
amazing episode. definitely my fav one yet. "that was an over exaggeration and a lie" the way the character was conscious of what they do/did, regretting it yet doesn't do anything to make up to it because they've lost hope was scary. music near the end was also scary. insane episode ill probably think about this one for a while
Apr 26, 2021 11:19 PM

Oct 2016
Jesus Christ, that episode was insane. Didn't expect this show to tackle the gacha hell, but this is much more deeper than that. And to think this is realistic, cause there was that news earlier where some crazy dude tried to kill 2 Mihoyo bosses over some stupid shit. I love Genshin, but there really do be some crazy people out there that pull like their life depends on it, and I am honestly just playing it for the plot. Well, enough gacha talk.

It's pretty awesome how these character stories connect, and Odokawa is at the center of it all. I wonder if Shirokawa is ditch-11, but I don't think a young Shirokawa would be a scammer, but I guess it's still possible. She probably got it from someone or something. But now, Odokawa is the one that has it, it's either a good thing or a bad thing, cause Tanaka's on his way lmao. That creepy smile at the end was unsettling. I didn't expect an episode like this, a whole episode of just Tanaka monologuing and it was fantastic. Looking forward to the next episode.
Apr 27, 2021 12:04 AM

Jan 2021
THIS SHIT IS BECOMING BETTER AND BETTER EVERY EPISODE !!! wtf
Apr 27, 2021 12:21 AM

Mar 2014
DAMN the narrative in this episode was SO GOOD!!!!! I can't remember the last time I was so immersed in a seasonal episode.
Apr 27, 2021 12:48 AM

Nov 2012
sanlei said:

TheMidnightWolf said:

She's 28 currently and the eraser story was 16 years ago. Doesnt really fit in, we know she needed money for her selfish student life, but she was only 12 at that time. She also doesnt really seem to understand how she got it.

Dr Goruki also talked about Rakugo and switched topic, so he's pretty sus especially with his disappearence, but no real clue there.

Thanks for the link, their goods are amazing! Damn, I need money.

This episode was insane! Easy AOTS

My Candies:

Apr 27, 2021 12:49 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Well, that was something really bad goin on behind Odokawa and his previous driving action. Never expect the episode used a full-blown duration to justified that dude motivation to challenge his new target: the odd taxi driver. Its fully a refreshing direction. But damn, it can truly understandable. I feel bad, but in the same time, ugh, thats right. The fate can be so cruel sometimes, and when you looked at how fucked up the whole history of him. Even to think about the comedian talk with him, was the Dodo the unlucky part of him? Subway or highway? Its doesn't matter. Because the justification already arise until the next day begone. Be careful, Odokawa!

The next will look like back to the monkey and idol story again, and somehow the high school girl appear. Well, to be short, i am curious to see how everything crossed in the future!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Odd Taxi Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Jun 28, 2021

389 by MickeyMinaj »»
Apr 17, 6:44 AM

Poll: » Odd Taxi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jun 21, 2021

94 by MickeyMinaj »»
Apr 17, 6:03 AM

Poll: » Odd Taxi Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Jun 14, 2021

98 by MickeyMinaj »»
Apr 17, 5:35 AM

Poll: » Odd Taxi Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - May 31, 2021

86 by MickeyMinaj »»
Apr 16, 10:08 AM

Poll: » Odd Taxi Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - May 24, 2021

87 by MickeyMinaj »»
Apr 16, 9:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.