Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Why do some people mark an anime as a 1 if it’s really good right at the start?

To Your Eternity
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 17, 2021 1:18 AM
Jan 2021
So the first episode was really amazing! But there are already about 50+ 1’s on the ratings. It just really surprises me when many people rate a new or great series really low. Is it just “anime veterans” hating on a new series with no grounds of why it would be considered bad?

Edit 1: This is not me being butthurt about this anime getting 1s, just curious what specific aspects about the first episode leaves few with a big distaste towards it. It’s for curiosities sake.
official_brownApr 19, 2021 11:01 PM
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 17, 2021 1:22 AM
May 2020
Some diehard battle shounentard fans really hate this kind of anime
Apr 17, 2021 1:33 AM
May 2020
official_brown said:
So the first episode was really amazing! But there are already about 50+ 1’s on the ratings. It just really surprises me when many people rate a new or great series really low. Is it just “anime veterans” hating on a new series with no grounds of why it would be considered bad?

It's the fmab,aot fans and some of the people I've seen on mal who just love to rate everything a 1 are the ones rating it 1
Apr 17, 2021 1:39 AM

Nov 2019
some people just dont like good things i guess or maybe they are jealous that this anime recieved a lot of hype for one ep,tho i think its very well deserved
Apr 17, 2021 2:02 AM

Mar 2020
If the anime gets a lot of praise, a lot of people just rate it low.
Party-pooper vibe basically.

Could also be that they just didn't like the first episode, taste is subjective after all.

But it's usually the former, and not the latter.
Apr 17, 2021 2:08 AM

Dec 2016
if some people are allowed to give a 10 after only 1 episode and that's going to be ok, well other people are also allowed to give a 1 after only 1 episode and that's also going to be ok.
Apr 17, 2021 3:12 AM
Mar 2021
I don't understand why you are considerate about other people. If an anime is great and you are really enjoying it then does it really matter what rating it gets?
Its greatness doesn't decrease by reviews:)
Apr 17, 2021 3:22 AM

Jun 2016
No big deal. I don't think there are any series without 1 ratings.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Apr 17, 2021 6:33 AM
Nov 2020
Some people just don’t like the show, I don’t see the issue here. I haven’t ever rated shows at a 1 immediately, but maybe they just had a really bad reaction. I don’t get why you care how other people rate shows though. I also don’t get why you can rank a show when only one episode has come out either, like how can you compare that to another show with 30 episodes out?
Apr 17, 2021 6:53 AM
Jan 2018
The same reason someone would rate it a 10 based on first impressions (or if they read the manga)

most anime tend to have slightly more 1s than 2s and 3s, specially those which are rated high

Seems to me you guys are just getting triggered because somone rated your precious adaptation a low score
Descended_Apr 17, 2021 7:04 AM
Apr 17, 2021 12:28 PM
Nov 2020
You should really ignore MAL ratings.
Apr 17, 2021 3:52 PM
Jan 2021
Descended_ said:
The same reason someone would rate it a 10 based on first impressions (or if they read the manga)

most anime tend to have slightly more 1s than 2s and 3s, specially those which are rated high

Seems to me you guys are just getting triggered because somone rated your precious adaptation a low score

Well technically I’ve never heard of this show till a week ago. So I don’t really have any love to this show comparatively to others. Feelings and ratings are subjective but I can’t really understand why it would deserve a 1. Art, VA, sound, and story are all really well done. Even if you hated it, you have to give props to something. I personally believe that barely anything can be a 1 because there has to be a good aspect to the show in some sense. I just have never heard a good argument to why somebody would give this or other good shows a 1 unless their mean score is under 3.5 or just want their show to remain in the #1 highly rated. I just think that the only people that rated it a 1 are those type of people or just hate on hyped anime.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Apr 17, 2021 3:58 PM
Jan 2021
Tarry7689 said:
Some people just don’t like the show, I don’t see the issue here. I haven’t ever rated shows at a 1 immediately, but maybe they just had a really bad reaction. I don’t get why you care how other people rate shows though. I also don’t get why you can rank a show when only one episode has come out either, like how can you compare that to another show with 30 episodes out?

Well I don’t really care if people rate it a 1, I just really am curious which aspects people don’t like about it. Because if an anime gets at least something right then does it really deserve a 1? Idc about scores just curious why people would hate it, very curious. Same mentality for people praising JJK and then immediately people hating on it when it finished. Just sounds like people like to bandwagon.
Apr 17, 2021 3:59 PM
Jan 2021
Theo1899 said:
No big deal. I don't think there are any series without 1 ratings.

Yeah I don’t think there is one series without a 1, but it would be very interesting to find one 😂
Apr 17, 2021 4:00 PM
Jan 2021
RyNX_V- said:
You should really ignore MAL ratings.

Yeah, I know 😂 I’m not personally butt hurt about it, just curious to see what people have to say when they rate it a low score. Like I’m curious to see what is a good anime to them and what makes it great. Just personal curiosity.
Apr 17, 2021 4:04 PM

Jan 2020
I could never wrap my head around people rating the series before it finishes, let alone the first episode. But in general, To Your Eternity is rising in popularity and it's getting attention, so haters are going to hate. It has nothing to do with being an anime veteran or not.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Apr 17, 2021 8:23 PM
Mar 2020
This show is boring and overrated but I won’t give it a score yet. No way you can rate anime before you even finish the whole thing.
Apr 19, 2021 10:59 PM
Jan 2021
I think my post is misinterpreted. I wasn’t necessarily worrying about this anime’s score in general. I know taste and preferences are subjective, but what makes people really hate a certain anime that has done well. Considering this anime’s first episode, what is so bad that it deserves a one. More of a curiosity rather than me being butthurt.
Apr 20, 2021 12:48 AM

Nov 2013
Highly likely they're mostly a bunch of salty, sad individuals who hate everything that' popular or considered good.
Apr 20, 2021 1:26 AM

Jun 2015
Some people just take the MAL scores so seriously and want everyone to have the same taste as them and probably can't sleep at night when an anime they don't like gets a good score, Idk I can't understand them at all, these score battles annoy me so much
Apr 20, 2021 1:57 AM
Jan 2021
official_brown said:

Edit 1: This is not me being butthurt about this anime getting 1s, just curious what specific aspects about the first episode leaves few with a big distaste towards it. It’s for curiosities sake.

Probably because of the superiority complex....... they want this series to get a lower score so this series can't get any higher than their fav series.....
Apr 20, 2021 2:21 AM

May 2018
official_brown said:
Is it just “anime veterans” hating on a new series with no grounds of why it would be considered bad?

Since the source is an anthology from different stories with artsy style and gloomy atmosphere it's very unlikely that the “anime veterans” are hating on it. It reminds old respected titles like Kino no Tabi (2003) and Boogiepop.

Sigmar-Unberogen said:
Highly likely they're mostly a bunch of salty, sad individuals who hate everything that' popular or considered good.

So Fumetsu no Anata e is considered very popular and mainstream? Really?
Apr 20, 2021 2:25 AM
Jan 2021
alshu said:
official_brown said:
Is it just “anime veterans” hating on a new series with no grounds of why it would be considered bad?

Since the source is an anthology from different stories with artsy style and gloomy atmosphere it's very unlikely that the “anime veterans” are hating on it. It reminds old respected titles like Kino no Tabi (2003) and Boogiepop.

Ah, I see. Just for curiosities sake, what would be the main deterrent from someone watching this show? I know taste is subjective, but I want to understand if people mainly don’t like a show based on preconceived notions from a fan base or actual aspects from the show that can be deemed as not done well.
Apr 20, 2021 2:42 AM

Nov 2013
@alshu

Members 220,381 + it's in the top 3 most popular airing shows on mal this season so what's the surprise?
Apr 20, 2021 2:43 AM

Jul 2014
Because rating it a 1 is an enjoyable way to piss off all those rate it a 10 before it airs or after one episode.
The truth is best told straight.
Apr 20, 2021 2:44 AM

May 2018
official_brown said:
but I want to understand if people mainly don’t like a show based on preconceived notions from a fan base or actual aspects from the show that can be deemed as not done well.

All of the above I guess - but what we have here is a bit different.
- Art-house, experimental type of a project.
- Episodic storytelling (like there are some links between the arcs but not some big overarching plot)
- The source is not some huge commercial hit, more of "beloved by the critics" title.
- Non-aggressive fandom.

In other words this show is different - just the opposite of what "anime veterans" hate. In the worst case the wouldn't be impressed...which is far from 1/10.

My theory what you see here are trolls and people who hate on anything that's a bit different from the mainstream seeing it as "pretentious".

Sigmar-Unberogen said:

Members 220,381 + it's in the top 3 most popular airing shows on mal this season so what's the surprise?

Since it's competing against Fruits Basket: The Final and Holo no Graffiti it's laughable to call it a big hit and its content is definitely not your mainstream battle shounen or soap opera.
alshuApr 20, 2021 2:50 AM
Apr 20, 2021 2:45 AM

Jul 2020
You shouldn't really care about random numbers that doesn't influence your life in anyway.
alshu said:
official_brown said:

Sigmar-Unberogen said:

Yes it's already popular since the 1st episode.It was trending on Twitter too.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Apr 20, 2021 2:56 AM

May 2018
Scordolo said:

Here's your answer - everything which draws attention on the big social media becomes hated no matter of its content and quality.
Apr 20, 2021 2:58 AM

Jul 2020
alshu said:
Scordolo said:

Here's your answer - everything which draws attention on the big social media becomes hated no matter of its content and quality.

What?Why are you quoting me about it?

To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Apr 20, 2021 3:06 AM

May 2018
Scordolo said:
alshu said:

What?Why are you quoting me about it?

Will try to elaborate.
Yeah, maybe it's popular on Twitter - I never used it thus I have no idea how "visible to the public" is Fumetsu no Anata e. But this is "it draws attention" kind of popularity not "everybody loves it" kind of popularity. It's not "the next AOT" big hit (which I see as a good thing).
Apr 20, 2021 3:07 AM

Nov 2013
@alshu

Since it's competing against Fruits Basket: The Final and Holo no Graffiti it's laughable to call it a big hit and its content is definitely not your mainstream battle shounen or soap opera.
I don't know why you're purposefully deluding yourself. Is it for the sake of "justifying" giving this show a low score or something?

Anyways, not interested, bye.
Apr 20, 2021 3:10 AM

May 2018
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
I don't know why you're purposefully deluding yourself.

But I am not.

Sigmar-Unberogen said:
Is it for the sake of "justifying" giving this show a low score or something?

But I am not giving it a low score.

Sigmar-Unberogen said:
Anyways, not interested

Than stop replaying to me?
Apr 20, 2021 3:13 AM

Jul 2020
@alshu

Wait.how it's laughable?It really has the potential.

To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Apr 20, 2021 3:18 AM

Nov 2013
@alshu
I don't know why you're purposefully deluding yourself.

But I am not.

You were surprised to find out this show is popular as if numbers alone don't empathize that. So make up your mind about being delusional or not. It's definitely popular on Mal so you're making no sense by defying reality pal.

Sigmar-Unberogen said:
Anyways, not interested

I may well do that, I just gave a reason why, just in case.
Apr 20, 2021 3:20 AM
May 2020
Scordolo said:
@alshu

How it is laughable? And how is being not your main stream battle shounen or soap opera a minus?

Like Aot, Death Note etc.
became popular because they are not conventional, right.
It's basically also winning against a lot new shows too though.
Jokingly it even got Hikaru Utada for its op,
Sonson7Apr 20, 2021 3:24 AM
Apr 20, 2021 4:13 AM

May 2018
Scordolo said:
@alshu

Because Fruits Basket: The Final and Holo no Graffiti are not a serious completion. Winning against them is not a big achievement.

Sigmar-Unberogen said:

You were surprised to find out this show is popular as if numbers alone don't empathize that.

I was talking about Twitter since I don't use it. As the popularity on MAL those numbers are lower than what I consider very popular.

Sigmar-Unberogen said:
So make up your mind about being delusional or not.

It is you who are stating that an I am disagreeing.

Sigmar-Unberogen said:
It's definitely popular on Mal so you're making no sense by defying reality pal.

It may be popular in comparison to lets say Odd Taxi but it's definitely no as popular for peoples starting to see it as threat for their favourite blockbusters.

Sigmar-Unberogen said:
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
Anyways, not interested

I may well do that, I just gave a reason why, just in case.

It is you who are not interested - your reasons.
alshuApr 20, 2021 4:29 AM
Apr 20, 2021 4:25 AM

May 2018
Sonson7 said:
Scordolo said:
@alshu

How it is laughable? And how is being not your main stream battle shounen or soap opera a minus?

Like Aot, Death Note etc.
became popular because they are not conventional, right.
It's basically also winning against a lot new shows too though.
Jokingly it even got Hikaru Utada for its op,

You quoted the wrong poster.

1. All you guys got my "laughable" in the wrong context. It's Fruits Basket: The Final and Holo no Graffiti as competition which are laughable.
2. Being main stream battle shounen or soap opera is a minus for me because I don't like those but they are big plus for popularity: people adore their formulas.
3. No, IMO those didn't become popular because those are unconventional - quite the opposite. Being at the top for me only proves better execution than some of the rest of the mainstream stuff.
4. Many new shows are anime originals and the rest don't have such popular (in comparison) sources.
5. Not sure about the Hikaru Utada reference - I didn't talk about that.

alshuApr 20, 2021 5:13 AM
Apr 20, 2021 6:03 AM

Nov 2013
@alshu
Sigmar-Unberogen said:

You were surprised to find out this show is popular as if numbers alone don't empathize that.

I was talking about Twitter since I don't use it. As the popularity on MAL those numbers are lower than what I consider very popular.
Ironic... you quoted other person with "you quoted the wrong poster" when you yourself do the same with me. In other words, I never mentioned twitter so...

moving on...

To summarize your entire quote in short, you're basically saying you have your own definition of what "popular" means. Ok.

It's not rocket science really for most of us people to determine which show is popular and which is not; or what popular even means. You need to realize that we don't have to abide to your own definitions of "popular"; most people simply use common sense.
Just open MAL main page, there's literally a list of top/popular airing shows there.

This conversation is turning into a flat-earth discussion really, where I'm pointing how earth is NOT flat while you do the opposite. It's fine to have your own definitions of words or a completely different worldview, but when interacting with people outside your own world, don't be surprised to receive confused glances; because, what you consider "not popular" is viewed differently by majority of us. The same way, you may consider earth to be flat, but most people don't. Hope this helps.
Sigmar-UnberogenApr 20, 2021 6:45 AM
Apr 20, 2021 6:26 AM

Feb 2016
same reason people put dislike on a yt video when there's absolutely nothing to hate in it. We humans just cant agree on everything
Apr 20, 2021 6:30 AM

Jul 2020
@alshu the hype is nothing about Fruits basket and Hololive being the weak contenders.
Winter 2021 had Aot the final season and still Wonder egg priority was able to go mainstream.So what you said was incorrect.

To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Apr 20, 2021 8:31 AM

May 2018
Scordolo said:
@alshu the hype is nothing about Fruits basket and Hololive being the weak contenders.
Winter 2021 had Aot the final season and still Wonder egg priority was able to go mainstream.So what you said was incorrect.

Missing my point again.
1. I was talking about the argument "Fumetsu no Anata is in top 3 airing" - it is there because it has weak contenders (Hololive being troll votes anyway).
Yes, It has potential to become very popular, it future its formula could be used for making mainstream shows...we are still not there tho.
2. Wonder Egg Priority is not a mainstream type of show. It didn't used mass appeal, it was trying a different angle and stuff...
Yes, it became very popular at certain point but I guess people got disappoint and very few currently talk about it.
Apr 20, 2021 9:01 AM

May 2018
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
Ironic... you quoted other person with "you quoted the wrong poster" when you yourself do the same with me. In other words, I never mentioned twitter so...

But you talked about my reaction to the show being popular in Twitter so...

Sigmar-Unberogen said:

To summarize your entire quote in short, you're basically saying you have your own definition of what "popular" means. Ok.

I mean very show has some sort if popularity - you can measure those only by comparison.

Sigmar-Unberogen said:
Just open MAL main page, there's literally a list of top/popular airing shows there.

Those are by different algorithm than Top Airing Anime - still not strong cometion. MHA 5 is dropping in popularity since it lost its novelty seasons ago and Nagatoro-san is a simple comedy about borderline s/m relations.
Also still in the frame of the current season and I am talking in long terms perspective which potentially could bother some fans.

Sigmar-Unberogen said:
This conversation is turning into a flat-earth discussion really, where I'm pointing how earth is NOT flat while you do the opposite.

In that case you are talking about the moon being made out of cheese - since I am arguing not Fumetsu no Anata e being "practically unknown" but "not as absurdly popular for the big fandom to being jealous of it".
You are changing the goal/point this the whole thing can feel flat for you.
Apr 20, 2021 9:10 AM
Oct 2019
Another thread about scores...
You can't control what people like or dislike.
Apr 20, 2021 9:18 AM

Nov 2013
@alshu
Sigmar-Unberogen said:

But you talked about my reaction to the show being popular in Twitter so...
Scroll up, check your facts, reply. It's not that hard, give it a try. You're embarrassing yourself.

Sigmar-Unberogen said:

Those are by different algorithm than Top Airing Anime - still not strong cometion. MHA 5 is dropping in popularity since it lost its novelty seasons ago and Nagatoro-san is a simple comedy about borderline s/m relations.
Also still in the frame of the current season and I am talking in long terms perspective which potentially could bother some fans.
Once again explaining flat earth theory here. Funny how both your examples are #1 and #2 popular shows of the season, while this one is #3. Accepting the obvious truth is hurting your ego or something?

You are changing the goal/point this the whole thing can feel flat for you.
Says who lol. Nobody here claimed the show is "absurdly popular" or "practically unknown" this is extreme crap you made up on your own right now. Anyways I'm done with your delusions. Spare me of your fantasy world.
Apr 20, 2021 9:29 AM

May 2018
Sigmar-Unberogen said:
Scroll up, check your facts

No, you do it.

Sigmar-Unberogen said:
It's not that hard, give it a try.

Naaah.

Sigmar-Unberogen said:
You're embarrassing yourself.

Always.

Sigmar-Unberogen said:
Once again explaining flat earth theory here.

But I am talking about pizza, not the world...most o the pizzas are flat.

Sigmar-Unberogen said:
while this one is #3.

Not enough to dig up the tomahawk of war and kill the ennemy with 1/10.

Sigmar-Unberogen said:
Accepting the obvious truth is hurting your ego or something?

Is seeming my point is hurting your ego or something?

Sigmar-Unberogen said:
Nobody here claimed the show is "absurdly popular" or "practically unknown"

It must be "absurdly popular" to be attacked only for the sake its popularity.

Sigmar-Unberogen said:
Spare me of your fantasy world.

Naaah.
Apr 20, 2021 11:25 AM

Feb 2016
It's a countermeasure to prevent overrating... just kidding.

The show itself it's not that good, that's all.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Apr 20, 2021 11:42 AM

Aug 2020
I don't know, because every anime has at least one user who votes with 1? I don't know bro, because if?
a wise user of MAL said:
Just to clarify, adaptations should absolutely stand on their own
Apr 20, 2021 12:29 PM

Nov 2015
samashi20 said:
I could never wrap my head around people rating the series before it finishes, let alone the first episode. But in general, To Your Eternity is rising in popularity and it's getting attention, so haters are going to hate. It has nothing to do with being an anime veteran or not.

I rate an anime on my impressions while watching from the first episode. I change it as I see fit (sometimes it'll go up if there was a particularly good episode for example) and then when I finish it I will rate it on the overall experience. So basically my ratings are my impressions of what I have seen of the anime.

This just helps me organize my feelings and thoughts on the anime especially if I am watching a large number at once.
Apr 20, 2021 12:34 PM

Jul 2019
Because some people believe their opinion is worth more than others so they rate it the lowest possible to bring the score down to a number they feel more comfortable with

They're annoyed by how the majority disagrees with them and their self esteem can't take it
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fumetsu no Anata e Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2021

238 by MasterHavik »»
Apr 13, 2:43 AM

Poll: » Fumetsu no Anata e Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 24, 2021

158 by wallus81 »»
Apr 6, 12:30 AM

Poll: » Fumetsu no Anata e Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Usopp8000 - May 17, 2021

152 by wallus81 »»
Apr 1, 8:14 PM

Poll: » Fumetsu no Anata e Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 10, 2021

345 by wallus81 »»
Apr 1, 7:52 PM

Poll: » Fumetsu no Anata e Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 3, 2021

150 by wallus81 »»
Mar 28, 2:20 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.