Forum Settings
Forums

Has your anime taste changed over the years?

New
Apr 15, 2021 12:37 AM

Mar 2020
When I started watching, I really liked battle shounen like every 10-11 year old edgy kid.
Now I'm at the stage where I'm too tired from university and work, so my favorites are just a bunch of slice of life anime, that help me keep my sanity and help me relax after a long day. Iyashikei is godsend.

Has your anime taste changed over the years as well? If it has, then in what way?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 15, 2021 12:41 AM

Aug 2018
I enjoy romcom, slice of life, and the occasional isekai. My tastes haven't changed much.
Apr 15, 2021 4:22 AM
Dec 2017
Used to watch mainly dual shonens back in the day and i cringed at girly anime like tokyo mew mew. But when i've watched stuff like Black Butler and Cowboy Bebop back in highschool its showed me that theres more anime than just that and since then i've been lookinig at all sorts of animes now like madoka and princess tutu 4 example.e

Yeah i'd say my taste did expanded over the years.

Apr 15, 2021 4:27 AM

Jul 2012
Gradually preferring older shows and less taking things hyper literally and story focused instead appreciating metaphor and works with an actual creative vision.
Apr 15, 2021 4:34 AM
Jul 2019
yeah, as the years went by it went more or less like this

boobs : normal > above average > big > HUGE > WHAT ARE THOSE
Apr 15, 2021 4:42 AM
Apr 2021
When I was a kid I was more worried about what other people thought about stuff I liked, at 27 I really don't give a shit.
If I like something I like it, imo whenever I hear someone say that they can't watch something because it makes them '' embarrassed '' it just sounds really immature to me.

And it's like a self-fulfilling prophecy because it becomes a circular thing where other people worry too and judge others.
Just relax and like what you like and let others have fun.
Apr 15, 2021 4:42 AM

Mar 2018
Yeah I used to think lucky star was funny so I’d say I’m doing way better now than then.
Apr 15, 2021 4:43 AM

Mar 2021
I started watching at a very young age like 5-6 years old .I usually just watched shonen and didn't watch harem or ecchi or gore animes.but now I enjoy any anime as long as it's not a sport anime or chinese anime ,the only anime i dropped so far is ex-arm cause let's be honest that thing was an insult to the anime community.
Apr 15, 2021 4:48 AM

Dec 2019
No, Elfen Lied is one of my favorite anime.
Apr 15, 2021 4:49 AM
Jan 2021
my taste sure has changed , earlier i was much found of watching romcom , action , slice of life
but now i like watching thriller , mystery , comedy ..

not that i have stopped watching romcom and other stuff
tho i have almost stopped watching ecchi anime
Apr 15, 2021 4:49 AM

May 2020
Yeah I remember I only used to watch Battle Shounen now I basically watch/enjoy every genre except the Harem genre.
If you want me to prepare a rope for the sake of hanging yourself, forget it. But… If it's a rope for the sake of pulling you up from Hell, no matter how many ropes it takes, I'll prepare them for you. ~Sakata Gintoki
Apr 15, 2021 4:52 AM

Jun 2016
When I was a little shit I liked dragon ball.
When I was in primary school I liked dragon ball.
When I was in high school I liked dragon ball.
Now I'm in the last year of college and I like dragon ball.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Apr 15, 2021 4:56 AM
Mar 2017
Same! Used to watch animes with good plots and fights but now I prefer slice of life and romcom due to stress from work LOL
Apr 15, 2021 5:03 AM

Aug 2018
Back then when i was kid , i enjoy shounen like i would enjoy my lunch and didnt enjoy any other genre.

Now that im grown up , i enjoy almost all genre , romance , comedy , funny and so on
Apr 15, 2021 5:03 AM
Jan 2012
My taste itself hasn't, but my standards have changed pretty immensely. It's fluctuated a ton.
Apr 15, 2021 5:05 AM

Sep 2018
i used to love action shounen adventure fantasy/isekai romance slice of life comedy drama mystery/thriller/psychological and dislike yuri/yaoi/ntr
but now i love action shounen adventure fantasy/isekai romance slice of life comedy drama mystery/thriller/psychological and dislike yuri/yaoi/ntr
Doc101Apr 15, 2021 5:10 AM

Sep 2020
Yeah...For now, I am enjoying SOL and Psychological. But you said over years but mine taste changes weekly or maybe more sooner, I am quite moody tho. Maybe there's a chance that I will start ecchi or Romcom or maybe shonen, I put Naruto on hold for watching Kakegurui, and Today I started watching ROH.

◽◽◽

ᓚᘏᗢ

◽◽◽

Having lived through trauma and mind-fucking, I'm accustomed to it now.

Jun 2020
Mine is whatever people tell me is good
Apr 15, 2021 5:06 AM

Apr 2021
Current me can't get through a single season of One Piece, but old me managed to watch all of Fairy Tail. I feel like I have failed tremendously.
Apr 15, 2021 5:16 AM

Mar 2020
Theo1899 said:
That's superior anime taste, brother.

Doc21 said:
i used to love action shounen adventure fantasy/isekai romance slice of life comedy drama mystery/thriller/psychological and dislike yuri/yaoi/ntr
but now i love action shounen adventure fantasy/isekai romance slice of life comedy drama mystery/thriller/psychological and dislike yuri/yaoi/ntr
Damn, you have changed a lot over the years. Good shit.

Bengofo said:
Mine is whatever people tell me is good
That's like half my PTW which I don't get around to watching.
Probably should start on that.

Zodazzle said:
Current me can't get through a single season of One Piece, but old me managed to watch all of Fairy Tail. I feel like I have failed tremendously.
Same, man.
Apr 15, 2021 5:22 AM
Laika Moonlight

Dec 2020
My anime/manga taste hasn't really changed. Granted, I was already an adult when I started watching anime and reading manga and most people's taste (including my own) is already fully-formed by the time they reach adulthood I believe

My taste in cartoons and comics in general certainly changed though (can't imagine pre-teen me would've enjoyed slice-of-life series very much for example) and I never really enjoyed any comics before I started reading manga. Plus I didn't really understand comedy or romance AT ALL as a child, whereas they're now some of my favorite genres

EDIT: I guess there is one change. I never really thought I'd enjoy spy fiction until I saw Read Or Die, and Princess Principal just kinda affirmed that enjoyment. Spy anime tend to be really good, from my experience
Kogasa-TataraApr 15, 2021 5:26 AM
My greatest contribution to this website:
Apr 15, 2021 5:22 AM

Jan 2017
Zodazzle said:

I relate to this more than I'd like. What a waste of my time and life that was.
Apr 15, 2021 6:09 AM
Apr 2018
Theo1899 said:

^
/
\
\
This

sometimes I get in a bad mood and watch shit shows, doesn't mean I like them
Apr 15, 2021 7:02 AM

May 2018
- I kind of evaded daily life shows but it turned out I can enjoy some of those.
- Since I was a hardcore sci-fi fan I really hated mecha and old space opera, it turned out I can enjoy retro futurism even in its more ridiculous forms. (Not to mention some newer space opera titles tend to be ridiculous too.)
Apr 15, 2021 7:18 AM

Jul 2020
I used to watch a lot of action anime but now I just watch any genre of anime
Apr 15, 2021 7:21 AM

Jan 2008
Have my tastes changed? Yes and No.

I still enjoy the same type of anime I did when I was younger I just like the more adulty version of it now to. Plus I've discovred so much more anime then was available when I was younger.

My main demographic of anime I watch is shounen. I mostly watched shounen as a kid. I'm 40 now.
Apr 15, 2021 7:23 AM

Nov 2017
My taste kinda changed. I didn't really like pure action anime but now I like it.
"he has it big as a cactus
but he won't let go of my head
and I puke on his cock bitch" - Boy by Fishball 
Apr 15, 2021 7:32 AM
Mar 2013
I used to hate battle shonen anime/manga and mindlessly praise "seinen" anime when I was teen but now that I'm 26 I love battle shonen and don't think seinen is as good anymore.
Apr 15, 2021 8:09 AM

Jan 2021
I would say mine still hasn't changed and I don't plan to change my tastes anytime
Apr 15, 2021 8:09 AM

Jan 2021
My tastes still haven't changed over the years. And I don't think I plan to anytime.
Apr 15, 2021 8:15 AM
May 2020
I watch anything that interests me and not just sticking to particular genre so nothing really changed that much.
Apr 15, 2021 8:19 AM

Jul 2020
I still have the same taste, wonder if it'll change.
Apr 15, 2021 8:28 AM

Jun 2019
I went from Shounentard (beginning of MS) to Slice of Life tard (end of HS)

Apr 15, 2021 8:29 AM

Feb 2020
I spend most of my teenage anime watchtime on Detective Conan and Bleach, now I watch everything, I guess that's a change? I watched the majority of the anime I've seen within the last year and a half, after joining university. Probably opened up to unfamiliar genres and old anime a lot faster then a lot of people because of this.
Also yes, bless Iyashikei.
Apr 15, 2021 8:37 AM

Feb 2019
I don't think my taste has changed, when i first started watching anime i liked romance anime and i still like romance anime.
Apr 15, 2021 1:09 PM

Mar 2020
DeN11 said:
I went from Shounentard (beginning of MS) to Slice of Life tard (end of HS)
This is big mood. I'm also a SoLtard.

AzuriteX said:
I used to hate battle shonen anime/manga and mindlessly praise "seinen" anime when I was teen but now that I'm 26 I love battle shonen and don't think seinen is as good anymore.
That's the opposite of most people that I know. Interesting.

UberBat said:
Have my tastes changed? Yes and No.

I still enjoy the same type of anime I did when I was younger I just like the more adulty version of it now to. Plus I've discovred so much more anime then was available when I was younger.

My main demographic of anime I watch is shounen. I mostly watched shounen as a kid. I'm 40 now.
Holy shit. You said you've been watching since a kid? So you've been watching anime for over 30 years?
That's impressive as fuck.
Apr 15, 2021 1:12 PM

Nov 2019
Went from romance enthusiast to ecchi completionist to the more linear shounen and now I watch anything that interests me.

死神

What do you think are the most important things in life? Money, dreams, sympathy towards others...

Yes, they're all important things as well... But the most important thing is responsibility for your own actions.
- Yuichi
Apr 15, 2021 1:15 PM

Aug 2012
Oh yeah. When I first actively got into anime all I literally watched were rom-com's. Then I broadened my horizons and got into shounen and then branched out from there. However, I used to avoid Slice of Life like the plague because I found them boring. Fast forward 10 years later and Slice of Life are now my favorite genre to watch... go figure lol. Taste really does change.
Apr 15, 2021 1:16 PM

Apr 2020
Ye i used to watch harem now i watch yaoi stuff, lmao how the times change, For real though like I used to watch a lot of trashy harem stuff like Asterisks war and that mecha harem show but now I watch more thought provoking stuff. I used to also watch a lot of Shounen but these days I find it childish
Apr 15, 2021 1:27 PM

Dec 2012
It started with just a few genres and I gradually added more as I tried new things until I ended up liking most of them for a variety of different reasons.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Apr 15, 2021 1:29 PM
Jan 2021
No, not really. I always hated romance, harem, and slice of life. I mostly like psychological.

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 15, 2021 1:29 PM

Jul 2020
Yeah a little bit but not by much I'd say
Apr 15, 2021 1:43 PM

Jan 2020
Judevin said:
When I started watching, I really liked battle shounen like every 10-11 year old edgy kid.
Now I'm at the stage where I'm too tired from university and work, so my favorites are just a bunch of slice of life anime, that help me keep my sanity and help me relax after a long day. Iyashikei is godsend.

Has your anime taste changed over the years as well? If it has, then in what way?

Well I didn't have the Ecchi phase (I don't watch Echhi at all, I'm not the target audience lol), but a very similar experience. As a kid, I watched shounen like Naruto and HxH, as a teenage girl I loved shoujos (Shugo Chara and Kaichou wa Maid Sama were my life, I watched both an unhealthy number of times), then I had a break and came back to anime as an adult college student, and that's when I got into the psychological/depressing/philosophical shows. I do prefer psychological, seinen and mystery over other genres, but I think I watch a little bit of everything now (slice of life, romance, action, comedy, parody etc) and have more open-mindedness with what I select.

I now have a BL phase tho and like it as a genre even though in 90% of the cases, the industry doesn't know how to deliver and satisfy the fans.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Apr 15, 2021 1:44 PM

Dec 2019
Went from binging batshit crazy amounts of shounen everyday. I used to have MHA as an 9/10 on here 🤮.
I still watch shounen, but since I'm currently in my edgy teen phase, I tend to lean towards ecchi and gorier shows. I'm not into the super edgy crap (*cough* Mahou Shoujo Site *cough*) just anime with a darker tone.
Apr 15, 2021 1:47 PM
Jul 2018
I'm still a shonencuck just like I was in the beginning but I started watching nearly everything and not just shonen.
Apr 15, 2021 1:50 PM

Mar 2020
samashi20 said:
Judevin said:

Well I didn't have the Ecchi phase (I don't watch Echhi at all, I'm not the target audience lol), but a very similar experience. As a kid, I watched shounen like Naruto and HxH, as a teenage girl I loved shoujos (Shugo Chara and Kaichou wa Maid Sama were my life, I watched both an unhealthy amount of times), then I had a break and came back to anime as an adult college student, and that's when I got into the psychological/depressing/philosophical shows. I do prefer psychological, seinen and mystery over other genres, but I think I watch a little bit of everything now (slice of life, romance, action, comedy, parody etc) and have more open-mindedness with what I select.

I now have a BL phase tho and like it as a genre even though in 90% of the cases, the industry doesn't know how to deliver and satisfy the fans.
Mom, the fujoshi are mad about bad anime again.
But yeah I kinda agree, too many anime that try to do BL but then don't fully commit is almost offensive in a way.
Don't really have an opinion on BL though, as long as the story is good, I'm cool with it, but the stories are always terrible too.
SK8 being a good example from last season.

And pretty much the same on the anime taste.
While my favorites now are SoL, I still prefer reading dark depressing stuff like Shounen no Abyss or Oyasumi Punpun.
I watch everything when seasonals air, but the ones I enjoy are usually the ones that get dark like Wonder Egg last season. Vivy, To Your Eternity, and 86 this season.
Apr 15, 2021 2:01 PM

Jan 2020
Judevin said:
samashi20 said:

Well I didn't have the Ecchi phase (I don't watch Echhi at all, I'm not the target audience lol), but a very similar experience. As a kid, I watched shounen like Naruto and HxH, as a teenage girl I loved shoujos (Shugo Chara and Kaichou wa Maid Sama were my life, I watched both an unhealthy amount of times), then I had a break and came back to anime as an adult college student, and that's when I got into the psychological/depressing/philosophical shows. I do prefer psychological, seinen and mystery over other genres, but I think I watch a little bit of everything now (slice of life, romance, action, comedy, parody etc) and have more open-mindedness with what I select.

Mom, the fujoshi are mad about bad anime again.
But yeah I kinda agree, too many anime that try to do BL but then don't fully commit is almost offensive in a way.
Don't really have an opinion on BL though, as long as the story is good, I'm cool with it, but the stories are always terrible too.
SK8 being a good example from last season.

And pretty much the same on the anime taste.
While my favorites now are SoL, I still prefer reading dark depressing stuff like Shounen no Abyss or Oyasumi Punpun.
I watch everything when seasonals air, but the ones I enjoy are usually the ones that get dark like Wonder Egg last season. Vivy, To Your Eternity, and 86 this season.

Yes, yes I like those dark shows, the darker the better. I will give WEP the benefit of the doubt until that last episode comes out, but I like the rest.

Sk8 *sigh*. I'm not sure what they wanted to go with the show to be honest. It felt like they were qbaiting the entire time, but eventually chose to take the friendship route. However, it is understandable. The show is tagged as a shounen and if they were to make it into BL, it wouldn't be as successful I believe since many find BL/yaoi a turnoff. It could have been better.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Apr 15, 2021 2:02 PM

Jun 2020
There are definitely shows that I grew out of, but I wouldn't say my tastes changed that much. I've never been that picky when it comes to genres anyway. I just alternate the type of stuff I watch depending on my mood.
Apr 15, 2021 2:16 PM

Mar 2020
TheAngryNerd said:
Went from binging batshit crazy amounts of shounen everyday. I used to have MHA as an 9/10 on here 🤮.
I still watch shounen, but since I'm currently in my edgy teen phase, I tend to lean towards ecchi and gorier shows. I'm not into the super edgy crap (*cough* Mahou Shoujo Site *cough*) just anime with a darker tone.
Yeah, I used to have Naruto and Mirai Nikki as 10/10s fam, I know how that feels.

Xsadersadd said:
I'm still a shonencuck just like I was in the beginning but I started watching nearly everything and not just shonen.
Shounentard master race.
Apr 15, 2021 6:31 PM

Jan 2020
Absolutely. I'm far more critical and harsh now than I was from before I made a MAL account

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Which 3 unpopular anime from the late 90s-mid 00s would you recommend?

WitherThrakh - Apr 13

19 by alshu »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - Apr 23

29 by Azuchi »»
10 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - Apr 24

29 by vasipi4946 »»
20 minutes ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - 4 hours ago

5 by alshu »»
28 minutes ago

» What's an anime that didn't meet your expectations, and what's an anime that exceeded them? ( 1 2 )

JKKH - Jul 18, 2022

61 by Ricchan__ »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.