Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Apr 2, 2021 1:51 PM

Jan 2017
Sayali567 said:
I love action animes and my favorite shounens are Hunter x Hunter, Yu Yu Hakusho, FMAB, Aot, Bleach, Inuyasha, JJK, I don't like sports genre but I loved Haikyuu also love Death Note, Saiki K

You too are a shonen guy like me ;)
I also stay away from romance most of the time.
(⁠☞⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠)⁠☞ YouTube @ The Pirate Collector ԅ⁠(⁠ ͒⁠ ⁠۝ ͒⁠ ⁠)⁠ᕤ
Apr 2, 2021 1:54 PM

Jan 2017
Kiyotaka696 said:
These types of shounen? No type, everytype equally , it depends of whether the anime nail it or not. For example TPN season 1 was amazing. But the second season was you know what.
But if i had to say a type then it would be a type that the characters use their brain in fights, Like HxH and JoJo, TPN and Death note are also amazing in that way

The shonen with the main character using the most brain goes to Dr. Stone, you should check that one too.
I dropped The Promised Neverland after watching a couple of season 2 episodes and started reading the manga, my disappointment in the series was thankfully reset to zero, you should also read the manga.
Apr 2, 2021 1:54 PM

Apr 2018
I think both Gintama and One Piece are Goated. Based!
Apr 2, 2021 1:55 PM

Jan 2017
Perry555 said:
Top 3 Shonen for me
Yu-Yu Hakusho
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
and My Hero Academia

After reading your 1 and 2, I definitely thought your 3 would be Naruto.
Apr 2, 2021 1:58 PM
Jan 2021
PirateHasan said:
Perry555 said:
Top 3 Shonen for me
Yu-Yu Hakusho
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
and My Hero Academia

After reading your 1 and 2, I definitely thought your 3 would be Naruto.

Nah I hate Naruto most of the charicters anyoy me but that's not my bigest anime sin that would be the fact I don't like one piece. I've tried it multiple times but I just don't like it.
Apr 2, 2021 2:00 PM

Jan 2008
ok to name some actual shounen I've recently enjoyed (past year)

Black Clover, One Piece, JJK, Gintama, Demon Slayer, Haikyuu, Jojo, Kono Oto Tomare, Saiki k, Dr. Stone, Moriarty the Patriot
Apr 2, 2021 2:01 PM

Jan 2017
ChibiTalha said:

This comment made me day :),

I am a huge One Piece fanboy, been following it for 14 years straight and yet the anticipation of waiting every week for a new chapter has never dulled till now.

I also like Gintama, and am thankful to Sorachi for giving us a masterpiece. Gintama characters and Gintama music never disappoint.
Apr 2, 2021 2:05 PM

Jan 2017
UberBat said:

Black Clover, One Piece, JJK, Gintama, Demon Slayer, Haikyuu, Jojo, Kono Oto Tomare, Saiki k, Dr. Stone, Moriarty the Patriot

Do give Kingdom a chance, you'll definitely like it.
The anime adaption for first 2 seasons is pretty bad as to how good looking the manga is, but season 3 has been picked by a different studio with better animation.
Apr 2, 2021 2:05 PM

Apr 2018
PirateHasan said:
ChibiTalha said:

I am a huge One Piece fanboy, been following it for 14 years straight and yet the anticipation of waiting every week for a new chapter has never dulled till now.

I also like Gintama, and am thankful to Sorachi for giving us a masterpiece. Gintama characters and Gintama music never disappoint.

Yes, other than these. I love Haikyuu and Dr. Stone too. The recent JJK was also pretty good :3
Apr 2, 2021 2:07 PM

Jan 2020
PirateHasan said:
Kiyotaka696 said:
These types of shounen? No type, everytype equally , it depends of whether the anime nail it or not. For example TPN season 1 was amazing. But the second season was you know what.
But if i had to say a type then it would be a type that the characters use their brain in fights, Like HxH and JoJo, TPN and Death note are also amazing in that way

The shonen with the main character using the most brain goes to Dr. Stone, you should check that one too.
I dropped The Promised Neverland after watching a couple of season 2 episodes and started reading the manga, my disappointment in the series was thankfully reset to zero, you should also read the manga.

Not that, i am talking about Using brain in "Fight". Battle of wit type.
I have already seen Dr. Stone and i am planning to read TPN manga too
U-Y-P-W-O-C-U-T-I-K-A-T-I-P-M-I-N-I-I-D-I-H-I-W-T-S-T-I-W-S-T-O-M-P-T-I-L-U-C-H-N-I-D-T-I-I-Y-I-M-N-O-W-S-T-S-W-N-I-B-W
Apr 2, 2021 2:07 PM

Oct 2014
I like the light hearted ones like Gabriel Dropout, Mitsuboshi Colors, Ika Musume, and Joshiraku. I'm not a fan of the battle oriented ones.
Apr 2, 2021 2:09 PM

Jan 2017
ChibiTalha said:
PirateHasan said:

Yes, other than these. I love Haikyuu and Dr. Stone too. The recent JJK was also pretty good :3

JJK has been a surprise hit thanks to the glorious Mappa Studio, it has been visual delight to watch!
Apr 2, 2021 2:10 PM

Jan 2017
Kiyotaka696 said:
PirateHasan said:

Ah I see,
then check out World Trigger also!
Apr 2, 2021 2:10 PM

Jan 2008
PirateHasan said:
UberBat said:

The anime adaption for first 2 seasons is pretty bad as to how good looking the manga is, but season 3 has been picked by a different studio with better animation.

Kingdom is on my ptw but it's not readily available in the UK. So I'll have to hunt it down.
Apr 2, 2021 2:12 PM

Jan 2017
zombie_pegasus said:
I like the light hearted ones like Gabriel Dropout, Mitsuboshi Colors, Ika Musume, and Joshiraku. I'm not a fan of the battle oriented ones.

I did not expect them to be shonen,
Thank you for these recommendations, will definitely check these out.
Apr 2, 2021 2:14 PM

Jan 2017
UberBat said:
PirateHasan said:

Kingdom is on my ptw but it's not readily available in the UK. So I'll have to hunt it down.

I hope your hunt doesn't disappoint.
Apr 2, 2021 2:16 PM

Jan 2020
PirateHasan said:
Kiyotaka696 said:

Ah I see,
then check out World Trigger also!

Yes of course i have also watched that. and currently watching season 2. and read the manga too. I think it deserve to be more popular. Everything is logical and no super power up or talk no jutsu
U-Y-P-W-O-C-U-T-I-K-A-T-I-P-M-I-N-I-I-D-I-H-I-W-T-S-T-I-W-S-T-O-M-P-T-I-L-U-C-H-N-I-D-T-I-I-Y-I-M-N-O-W-S-T-S-W-N-I-B-W
Apr 2, 2021 2:36 PM
Aug 2013
PirateHasan said:
So what is your 'Shonen' taste,
the dark and gritty series like Jujutsu Kaisen, KNY;
the light-hearted ones filled with adventure like One Piece, Fairy Tail, Magi, Toriko;
the sci-fi ones like Dr. Stone, The Promised Neverland, World Trigger;
the battle-centric ones like Bleach, Dragon Ball, Naruto, Reborn!;
..the list is perpetual.
What is your ideal Shonen supposed to be?

P.S. The ones I've mentioned are mostly the publications of Shonen Jump, other publisher answers are also welcome.

Magi a light hearted shounen? thanks I needed that joke for today. It deals with slavery and poverty I didn't think it was lighthearted

But apart from that I love all shounen, my favourite will still be the classic shounen series though. Personally I do like the action shounen, as long as there's some fights it's usually entertaining. I think dark theme doesn't feel right for a shounen since shounen it supposed to be for children and if you want dark themed anime then makes more sense to go ll out with it and just make it an adult anime all together. Attack on titan is a shounen, yes meaning it was supposed to be for kids but it's basically an adult anime. Same with jojo's it's basically an adult anime but it's labelled shounen.

Hard to beat the classic shounen though gotta love yu yu hakusho, slayers, ranma 1/2, saint seiya, city hunter, kinnikuman, flame of recca, shaman king, getbackers, legend of swordmaster yaiba, dragon quest, tenchi muyou, tekken chinmi, hokuto no ken, rurouni kenshin, dragonball 1986, rave master, b't x, golgo 13, inuyasha, grappler baki, trigun, yu-gi-oh, cowboy bebop, lupin III, devilman, ninkuu, busou renkin, 07 ghost, eat-man, saiyuuki, arc the lad, arad senki, air gear, phi brain, akagi, s.cry.ed, shadow skill, mister ajikko, outlaw star, oban star racers, sonic anime, ashita no joe, bobobo, kishin douji zenki, urusei yatsura, dream hunter rem, evangelion, mazinger, getter robo, monster farm, pokemon, digimon, beyblades, cardcaptor sakura, dirty pair, cutey honey, kenichi, beet the vandel buster, zatch bell, marchen awakens romance, kekkaishi, super yo-yo, law of ueki, dragon drive, croket!, mushrambo, kamen no maid guy, koutetsu jeeg, sumomomo, ramen fighter miki, yawara!, salaryman kintaro, osu karate bu, aa harimanda, kurenai sanshirou, choujin locke, majin tantei nougami, juushin liger, project a-ko, samurai pizza cats, fighting foodons, samurai troopers, jigoku sensei nube, tobe isami, akuma kun, bikkuriman, bouken shounen shadar, hurricane polymer, casshern, astroganger, chargeman ken, black jack, initial D, sakura wars, you're under arrest, ghost stories, asobot senki gokuu, mujin wakusei survive, bakuretsu hunters, excel saga, senyuu, hitman reborn, beelzebub, demon king daimao, tai chi chasers, viewtiful joe, bucky incredible kid, kyou kara ou wa, ayashi no ceres, be bop high school, kaito joker, mythical detective loki, magic kaito, dokkiri doctor, adventures of gamba, speed racer, devil hunter yohko, future police urashiman, mashin eiyuuden wataru, D gray man, etc..
AnimeDownUnderApr 2, 2021 3:04 PM
~AnimeDownUnder~

Apr 2, 2021 2:40 PM

Feb 2021
The chaotic type shounen like chainsawman, and dark and deep like jjk
“The only thing humans are equal in is death.”
― Johan Liebert
Apr 2, 2021 3:09 PM

Feb 2020
Most of the shounen anime I watched recently were comedies, so that I guess. My last battle shounen was JoJo Part 4 which I watched last August, haven't felt motivated to start one since then (not because JoJo Part 4 was bad, it's my favorite part). I want to want to watch HeroAca Season 5 and Shaman King, but I don't really want to.
Apr 2, 2021 3:15 PM

Nov 2019
my favorite shonens are my #1 and 2 in my top 10.

one piece and gintama for me. goat series
"Nobody is stronger than me, even when I go easy on them. Remember that" - Ayanokoji Kiyotaka
Apr 2, 2021 3:39 PM

Feb 2016
School comedies like SKET Dance and Nisekoi.
その目だれの目?
Apr 2, 2021 4:40 PM

Jun 2019
I've found myself liking more dark shounen lately, like Dororo and The Promised Neverland (RIP), but I also really enjoy Saiki K, and that's just because it's batsh*t hilarious.
Apr 2, 2021 5:19 PM

Mar 2021
I actually like all types, for me it depends on how they execute the anime, although I personally prefer those with good character development and an interesting story. For example jujutsu kaisen deals with dark themes that are very well developed, plus the characters are charismatic. Boku no hero has a simpler and more basic plot but the character design and development is great. Other very good titles would be jojo's, gintama, naruto, one punch man, kimetsu no yaiba, etc.
Apr 2, 2021 6:52 PM
Jul 2018
My favorites are mostly those that are a not that hyped like the others... no I don't want to be a hipster, but the really hyped shounen got more of the tropes, characters and an atmosphere to them that I just don't like that much or not at all.
And a lot of the battle shounen I love are written by women too xD
removed-userApr 2, 2021 7:15 PM
Apr 2, 2021 7:01 PM

Aug 2014
best arcs in a fighting shounen (random order and just anime, so no manga):

DBZ KAI Namek Saga

HxH 2011 Phantom Arc

Yu Yu Hakusho Toguro Tournament

Best battle shounen animes with no division arcs:

AOT

Kekkaishi
Apr 2, 2021 7:14 PM

Jun 2020
Dark and gritty. My favorite shounen are Attack on Titan and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Apr 2, 2021 7:18 PM

Feb 2021
IFollowKIngs said:
The chaotic type shounen like chainsawman, and dark and deep like jjk

jjk looks like a shojo comparing to chainsawman
Apr 2, 2021 7:20 PM

Aug 2015
Dark and gritty.
I like others from the other genres.

Apr 2, 2021 7:26 PM
Jan 2019
I'm not a big shounen fan (more into Seinen/shoujo), but I do like shounen sports anime. I like tournament arcs, and sports anime are like 95% tournament arc.
Apr 2, 2021 7:30 PM

Dec 2017
I don't like shonens, but the one I like the most would be comics who don't take themselves seriously like Gintama or Jojo

Apr 2, 2021 7:34 PM

Apr 2020
Idk it just gotta have interesting characters. usually those ones are the darker ones like jjk and chainsawman and kimetsu no yaiba, sometimes naruto? dororo , hxh, and so on

idk where jojo falls in this category but yeah i like that too because of the characters
Kenzolo-folkApr 2, 2021 7:37 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 2, 2021 7:52 PM

Sep 2019
Personally I feel FT would be better fit in the "battle-centric" category IMO... but my shonen taste is more on the light-hearted to battle-centric side. The ones I watched all fit into that category and they were the ones I enjoyed the most as well. Naruto, FT, Hitman Reborn, Edens Zero, etc
"I suffered all my life. No one ever truly loved me. No one ever truly cared about me. I only loved one thing in my whole life and that was Christina Menefee. But she was torn away from me. I tried to save myself with [student’s name], but she never cared for me. As it turns out, she made fun of me behind my back while we were together. And all throughout my life I was ridiculed. Always beaten, always hated. [...] I am malicious because I am miserable."

"It was not a cry for attention, it was not a cry for help. It was a scream in sheer agony [...]"
-Luke Woodham

Apr 2, 2021 8:04 PM

Oct 2020
I don't really enjoy most battle shonens but Aria the Origination and Gintama are among my few 10/10s
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 2, 2021 8:57 PM
Jul 2018
It should have a good story, character design. And it should use different genres not only the 'Action and Shounen genre.
I just can't watch what overpowered characters show off, smashing enemies without any real purpose. It doesn't earn me anything and the violence doesn't entertain me.
I liked attack on titan and Tokyo ghoul, although I didn't watch much shounen.
Apr 2, 2021 9:22 PM

Jan 2020
I like dark Shonen. Shows like Attack on Titan, JJK and even Tokyo Ghoul (don't come at me, the story is really nice, and season 1 wasn't bad at all)
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Apr 2, 2021 9:40 PM

Jun 2020
80s and 90s shounen which include:
Cromartie Highschool
Be-bop high school
kyou kara ore wa!
GTO
Apr 2, 2021 9:56 PM

Jan 2020
Gintama, One Piece and hxh are my top 3 so I might be leaning towards more of a mix

Apr 2, 2021 10:32 PM
Jul 2018
I am currently reading Magi rn and damn it's very good.
Even though my preference are dark series or historical, with military, but that's rare in anime.
Apr 2, 2021 10:33 PM
Jul 2018
Jujutsu kaisen I guess. I got bored of it quickly tho.
Apr 2, 2021 11:12 PM

Sep 2015
PirateHasan said:
Geel said:

I love sport shounens, romance ones tend to be hit or miss for me though.

Romance in shonens just drag out too much, I never understood why shonen series are bothered with adding a romantic tale in their story, it kinda gets annoying. I dropped Nanatsu no Taizai for this reason only, it had great plot and characters but romance was forced and unnerving for me.

When I said romance shounens, I meant the pure romance ones, like Nisekoi lol.
Apr 3, 2021 1:14 AM

Aug 2020
I'd say the current shonen I'm into is World Trigger season 2 just came after 10 years and its freaking amazing its got amazing strategic fights and whats great about it is that all the characters have similar abilities just used differently and I really love the power system its my favorite next to nen from hunter x hunter and the diversity of the stands from jojo

PirateHasan said:
So what is your 'Shonen' taste,
the dark and gritty series like Jujutsu Kaisen, KNY;
the light-hearted ones filled with adventure like One Piece, Fairy Tail, Magi, Toriko;
the sci-fi ones like Dr. Stone, The Promised Neverland, World Trigger;
the battle-centric ones like Bleach, Dragon Ball, Naruto, Reborn!;
..the list is perpetual.
What is your ideal Shonen supposed to be?

P.S. The ones I've mentioned are mostly the publications of Shonen Jump, other publisher answers are also welcome.
Apr 3, 2021 4:01 AM
Aug 2020
Id say my favourite at the moment is Jujutsu Kaisen, Dark and Gritty Anime are always good when they have a good balance in them. I'm not really much of a sports anime fan and I love the adventure Animes like OnePiece which I am completely up to date to.

Honestly one day a new Anime might come out that could possibly change all of our opinions and blow our minds.
Death Note was very psychological in my opinion and I found myself bored halfway through it.
It's basically a matter of public opinion and I'm glad we can share our own takes on our favourites

Apr 3, 2021 4:30 AM

Jun 2017
PirateHasan said:

Thanks for recommendations lol. In general light hearted ones are good for me
Apr 3, 2021 4:54 AM

Nov 2020
My favorite shonens are Death Note, Hunter x Hunter and Attack on Titan. I don't see what they have in common
Apr 3, 2021 7:20 AM

Jun 2014
When it comes to modern anime, I generally avoid shounen like the plague, especially long running shounen and battle shounen.

Apr 3, 2021 7:57 AM
Oct 2019
PirateHasan said:
Amoh25 said:
All of them tbh. I'm just another Shonen fanboy I guess. Among the ones that you've mentioned, the only shows that I'm not a fan of are Toriko, Dr. Stone and TPN season 2 (season 1 was amazing tho).

I'm not sure if you know, but the Manga of TPN is great, you should be reading that. Lots of content from the manga has been skipped for Season 2, that's why you'll be seeing tons of negative reviews for TPN s2.

The manga too is shitty. It's like the stretched out version of season 2..

I'd say I prefer the dark and gritty shonen and maybe a bit of adventure
Apr 3, 2021 8:29 AM

Feb 2020
honeslty i like all kinds of shounen from one piece to jujutsu kaisen.
Apr 3, 2021 8:40 AM
Dec 2020
Dr. Stone. It's fresh and new, and i wanna see more of that kinda thing!
Apr 3, 2021 9:07 AM

Jun 2019
I'm enjoying Black Clover and Dai's Great Adventure each week, but also liked Jujutsu Kaisen this season. I normally prefer the magical adventure type shounen (eg One Piece, Fairy Tail, Black Clover etc).
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Would you or have you watched anime with your family (1 or more members)?

ToastWithNutella - 4 hours ago

15 by Pit93 »»
14 seconds ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

46 by -Kugeki- »»
1 minute ago

» Let's Hope the Whole "Girls Golfing" Is A New Thing That Keeps Going...

simonitro - 3 hours ago

5 by Nirinbo »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » What tropes do you find the most annoying in a protagonist?

ZeroMajor12 - Apr 26

24 by logopolis »»
3 minutes ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - Yesterday

23 by TitanOfPlasma »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.