Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 13, 2021 11:31 AM
Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The second half dropped on crunchyroll at 10:50am CST a few hours ago, and I just got through binging it. This show was so refreshing and brilliant, and I’m so glad I got to watch it.
SingleHMar 13, 2021 11:53 AM
Mar 13, 2021 2:30 PM
Jul 2018
this was a pretty great ending episode, really interesting backstory and stuff for mai, it was quite sad overall but it was still very nice. kind of an inconclusive ending but i think it was alright, not sure if this show will ever get a season but i really liked the uniqueness of this show, overall a 3/10.

also, cute sleeping mai for one last time
Mar 13, 2021 4:57 PM

Apr 2019

Some of the worst episodes of anime I've ever seen. Understood like two references while watching the entirety of this anime because they were all like 40 years old... Everything apart from the references was insufferable, 1/10.

WolfChaos said:
Imagine wasting your time with this garbage. Dropped it on episode 3. Oshii should've stuck with making cheesy romcoms like Urusei Yatsura.
I Should've dropped this, lost 4 hours of my life that im never getting back

Mar 13, 2021 5:18 PM

Apr 2017
I seem to be in the minority, but personally I enjoyed the ride a lot. The background art, openings, and voice acting were really good, and I think the attempt at reducing production costs with the manga-style face panels was actually refreshing in terms of visual style.

As for this episode specifically, Mai's backstory was interesting. We only got a glimpse of it, of course, and a lot of it was predictable to an extent, but I still enjoyed it.

While I don't expect this to get a second season, if it does I'll be looking forward to it.
Mar 13, 2021 6:49 PM

Jul 2011
Was cool Mai's backstory, which I liked a lot the story way, and the art style was very beautiful.

To be honest I got out with more knowledge than I began watching this show.

This show was very experimental, so isn't for everyone. I felt like watching Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, with all the cuts and techniques used.

Was a good experience.
Mar 14, 2021 1:31 AM

Oct 2017
Welp we got a dark backstory for the finale and while it was ur usual vampire story it was presented really well so liked it. Also I'm happy for Mai, she has Bamba and her blood brothers and sisters with her now. They all care about her.

This was a decent watch, Mai's waifu and Bamba's a great girl.
Mar 14, 2021 10:25 AM

May 2015
It was decent enough to watch.

Some episodes were entertaining, some not (50/50). In general, it was not a memorable series (plot, comedy, or character wise).

6/10

We ultimately fear what spawns from within us ~Shinsekai yori
Music is freedom. ~Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Mar 14, 2021 2:47 PM
Dec 2018
Diapolo10 said:
I seem to be in the minority, but personally I enjoyed the ride a lot. The background art, openings, and voice acting were really good, and I think the attempt at reducing production costs with the manga-style face panels was actually refreshing in terms of visual style.

I share your same opinion. And Mai was cute that's all I needed to watch the show lmao. This was a fun ride
Mar 14, 2021 11:46 PM
Aug 2018
This isn't for everyone, especially those who are still teens . Anyway it wasn't as enjoyable as zetsubo sensei so 5/6 out of 10
Mar 15, 2021 1:06 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Diapolo10 said:

As for this episode specifically, Mai's backstory was interesting. We only got a glimpse of it, of course, and a lot of it was predictable to an extent, but I still enjoyed it.

While I don't expect this to get a second season, if it does I'll be looking forward to it.

I feel exactly like you did. I think this really was a case of a series that wasn't for everyone. The demographic for this series was seasoned, bit older otaku. A lot of references was for films and anime that are more than 40 years old. No wonder some people were so lost. I also think that having the MC being a girl limits the viewership just a bit. The lack of a 'self insert kun' can hurt the chances of some series to gain traction.

Personally I enjoyed this a lot and will definitely be watching a second season if/when it comes out.

WolfChaos said:
Imagine wasting your time with this garbage. Dropped it on episode 3. Oshii should've stuck with making cheesy romcoms like Urusei Yatsura.

If you dropped it in episode 3, then why are you so committed to following this that you have to write a comment at episode 12 right after it finished?? Your comment feels rather dishonest in view of that.

And a cheesy romcom is exactly what it is, just that the MC was a girl. It has the same kind of zany humor and situations.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 15, 2021 1:17 PM

Apr 2017
Farabeuf said:
I feel exactly like you did. I think this really was a case of a series that wasn't for everyone. The demographic for this series was seasoned, bit older otaku. A lot of references was for films and anime that are more than 40 years old. No wonder some people were so lost. I also think that having the MC being a girl limits the viewership just a bit. The lack of a 'self insert kun' can hurt the chances of some series to gain traction.

To be honest you're probably right about that, but it made me feel weird considering I'm only 23 and only really begun to watch anime a few years ago. :p
Mar 16, 2021 12:31 AM
Master

Sep 2012
I am not sure what to think about the Anime xDD
I kinda enjoyed it, but also though meeeh... since I just couldn't get many references to all those Movies, I rarely watch ANY movie at all.
Still, I loved the Art style, and the things I understood, were actually also funny.

But what bothers me is, why did de Doctor-Teacher said at the end, "someday mai might drink your blood" to banba.... I mean, didn't she already do that at the beginning? Or did I missunderstoot something xD
Mar 16, 2021 1:36 AM

Jun 2014
Awesome show. Young weebs just didn't get the references old man Oshii was throwing at them
Mar 16, 2021 2:19 AM

Mar 2014
The plot was a mess, the story made no sense, there were many episodes with just random plotlines that completely ignored logic, to top it off it had tons of old-ass references that only senile old man would understand. Mai was cute tho, I loved the fanservice! It needed more yuri! Mai waifu! (hahaha get it? MY waifu? Hahahaha)..............

...Really, people? At 6.20 I have to say this is probably the most underrated show on this whole website. Weebs really can't take anything that doesn't fit into their common anime standards. Anything that is even a little unconventional is immediately disregarded as nonsense and people can't simply enjoy it for what it is, because apparently anime now have rules. Mamoru Oshii completely breaks these so-called rules in every episode EXCEPT for the last one. It really reminds me of experimental OVAs from the 80s and 90s. To see something like this nowadays is almost unheard of. Actually, it IS unheard of. That explains these reactions.
This is a complete passion project created by people who clearly loved what they were doing, and the result is amazing. I can only hope to see more shows like this in the future, shows that take advantage of the medium as a whole to create something really unique and creative. These kinds of show breath energy into my life.
Just like blood is never enough for Mai, Vlad Love is never enough for me. I want more!
Mar 16, 2021 1:42 PM
Dec 2017
4/10, watchable I guess. Felt like Oshii's self-indulgence at its worst tbh, "let's put some vampires, basset hounds, aircrafts, cold-war refereces and call it a show". People trying to latch onto the old-school otaku crowd just because this show wants to be "different" probably didn't even watch Gosenzo-sama banbanzai, the way better Oshii dramedy.
Mar 17, 2021 3:02 PM

Feb 2017
Alex-chii said:

But what bothers me is, why did de Doctor-Teacher said at the end, "someday mai might drink your blood" to banba.... I mean, didn't she already do that at the beginning? Or did I missunderstoot something xD

She means that one day Mai may actually kill her like she did that childhood friend of hers in the past. That's how I saw it.
Mar 18, 2021 9:09 AM
Master

Sep 2012
Tsarko said:
Alex-chii said:

She means that one day Mai may actually kill her like she did that childhood friend of hers in the past. That's how I saw it.

Aaah, that way it makes more sense actually xD I didn't though about it like this before.
Mar 19, 2021 2:06 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I really don't understand why people are complaining so much about it? I guess it's because they don't like original and "weird" anime like that, I loved all the references it does not reference you usually see in an anime + the artistic direction was sure enjoyable for its originally and totally fits to the storytelling/mixed with the episodic format.
Also I loved the OST, I don't really know why but I found it outstanding.
It's not a perfect anime overall but sure it was a decent and refreshing watch for me
Mar 21, 2021 8:06 AM

Nov 2016
As expected of Oshii, this was a smart anime. Unfortunately too smart for me at times and it felt like at least half of the references went over my head. The artistic direction, as well as references I actually got made this still fun. Additionally, I found myself enjoying the backstories the most and also all the little quirks this anime had to offer.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 23, 2021 10:31 AM
May 2016
I don't know why but I finished it. Like one of the reviews said, this felt like a waste of time. The comedy just fell completely flat for me, and the homages were just lame. I'd never recommend this to anyone.
Mar 27, 2021 4:34 PM
May 2015
So, that was it.

All that happened was an interview with Mai, some film jokes, and an open enough ending that allows room for suspense and drama.

Overall the show wasn't too bad or too good. I thought the comedy was decent and quirky enough, but not too spectacular or side-splitting. I do think it needed more time for most of its characters and plots to develop properly, but that's not happening too soon.
Mar 30, 2021 12:15 PM

Feb 2012
Woah, mood whiplash for the ending.

08:42 One of the few times, Vlad Love doesn't do dialogue scenes picture-in-picture style (but they give three of the characters non-standard designs while doing so)

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Apr 4, 2021 8:38 AM

May 2020
That final episode just came out of nowhere didn't it. Pretty dark for an anime that spent previous 11 episodes trying to be funny.

Overall, didn't care for it. It's not that funny, the only interesting and funny character was Chihiro-Sensei and there is no plot, which is fine but I didn't care for what it did have to offer in its stead. 5/10.
TitanInsaneApr 4, 2021 9:07 AM
Apr 4, 2021 11:50 PM

Dec 2016
That was quite a nice ride. It was fun watching while having breakfast.

It was educational, I got to know about old classic movies. Nice character design and background was beautiful too. Tho the humor most of the time wasn't funny, they just looked like they were trying their hardest to make us laugh but to no avail.

Overall 5/10
Jul 16, 2021 7:30 PM

Nov 2008
This was an interesting retro-fest from Oshii. There was a LOT of Urusei Yatsura in it, except for the relationship between Bamba and Mai. UY was successful not just because of the jokes, wackiness and social satire but because of the relationship between Ataru and Lum. You could always sense that the two of them truly cared for each other, despite how they might act outwardly. But you don't get that feeling here between Bomba and Mai. Bamba lusts after Mai but there is no indication that there is more than that. And Mai treats Bamba as a piece of scenery.

So this was an interesting experiment, but Oshii will be remembered for the second Urusei Yatsura movie, "Beautiful Dreamer", long after "Vlad Love" is relegated to trivia questions.
Oct 28, 2021 5:26 AM

Aug 2014
Probably would've been better with conclusive story overall 6/10, could be 7-8 by giving actual development you know
Jan 30, 2022 7:22 PM

Dec 2016
Kaidu- said:

This is a complete passion project created by people who clearly loved what they were doing, and the result is amazing.

Just like that old lady that ruined a 19th century painting

Just because you have passion to do things, doesn't mean you're the right person to do it, specially if you don't have the knowledge/skill and in this case, the ability to connect with your audience. Unless you alienate your audience to a handful of nerds that considers the author as a god and therefore know everything revolving his life and works to the point that the low hanging fruit made entirely of just references becomes the literal shit they love.
Mar 19, 2023 11:45 AM

Jan 2021
Oshii really knows what he's doing, this series is everything the modern industry isn't, it's free, creative, and doesn't care about pleasing anyone but the people making it, this is what a pure passion project is.
Jun 12, 2023 1:25 AM
Des31

Oct 2020
I'm totally confused with this anime, there's no direction at all just a random free story by the director, not good and not bad really don't know what score did i must give so 5/10 the conclusion
Jun 16, 2023 8:36 PM
Dec 2020
the genius coup de grace of the series; the archetype is broken as mai finally shows some real internality, but nobody knows how to deal with it, and, as with so many other things in this series, pretend it never happened.

great show, and a worthy artistic experiment from oshii!
Jun 21, 2023 1:09 AM

Apr 2019
Really meta. Especially since the second half, you could say that the protagonist became Maki, since she's involved with cinema and whole plot of the series is about cinema and meta-textuality. Altough, I'll admit that I didn't find it that funny.

More topics from this board

» this anime is the underdog of the season

NinoHaruhara - Jan 23, 2021

33 by Kristiwazhere »»
Dec 24, 2023 11:51 AM

Poll: » Vlad Love Episode 9 Discussion

removed-user - Mar 13, 2021

13 by St0rmblade »»
Nov 23, 2023 7:44 AM

Poll: » Vlad Love Episode 6 Discussion

removed-user - Feb 13, 2021

34 by alshu »»
Nov 22, 2023 6:30 AM

Poll: » Vlad Love Episode 7 Discussion

NathanielGibbs - Mar 13, 2021

12 by St0rmblade »»
Nov 22, 2023 4:29 AM

Poll: » Vlad Love Episode 3 Discussion

removed-user - Feb 13, 2021

18 by St0rmblade »»
Nov 21, 2023 7:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.