Forum Settings
Forums

US and allies to build 'China-free' tech supply chain

New
Feb 24, 2021 12:29 PM

Jan 2009
Exclusive: Biden to sign presidential order to bolster chip, battery and rare-earth industries

U.S. President Joe Biden is set to sign an executive order as early as this month to accelerate efforts to build supply chains for chips and other strategically significant products that are less reliant on China, in partnership with the likes of Taiwan, Japan and South Korea.

The document will order the development of a national supply chain strategy, and is expected to call for recommendations for supply networks that are less vulnerable to disruptions such as disasters and sanctions by unfriendly countries. Measures will focus on semiconductors, electric-vehicle batteries, rare-earth metals and medical products, according to a draft obtained by Nikkei.

The order states that "working with allies can lead to strong, resilient supply chains," suggesting that international relationships will be central to this plan. Washington is expected to pursue partnerships with Taiwan, Japan and South Korea in chip production and Asia-Pacific economies including Australia in rare earths.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/International-relations/US-and-allies-to-build-China-free-tech-supply-chain

it has begun the world relies too much on China right now anyway and that is bad
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Feb 24, 2021 12:34 PM

Jun 2019
So much for the conspiration about Biden, the so-called puppet of Beijing...
Feb 24, 2021 1:21 PM

Jan 2009
Meusnier said:

lol agreed dang that is one conspiracy theory out of the way
Feb 24, 2021 1:24 PM

May 2013
What a surprising twist.

I'm all for it.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Feb 24, 2021 1:25 PM

Jun 2019
deg said:
Meusnier said:

lol agreed dang that is one conspiracy theory out of the way

As if it was enough for some people to stop believing in random claims. They can say that this is a façade, but that in fact, he is still working for China.
Feb 24, 2021 1:32 PM

Feb 2010
"but, but Biden's a Chinese puppet we know this because the anonymous internet man told me."

not that this will change there opinions. they will just make up some new conspiracy,
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Feb 24, 2021 1:53 PM

Nov 2008
What the doctor ordered, we need to reduce if not eliminate our reliance on that slave owning country. I believe I heard about a month ago from several news outlets in India that Biden was going to continue some if not all of Trump's anti-CCP policies, but they never mentioned which ones. More reasons that our MSM is completely broken as nothing of the sort was covered a month ago in the US.

Mar 3, 2021 7:24 PM
Oct 2020
ProfessionalNEET said:
I'm not sure this is really necessary or helpful. Economic interdependence is one of the best ways of deterring conflict between countries.

How do you suggest other countries stop China from doing all the shit they do?
Mar 3, 2021 7:42 PM

Dec 2016
So we going with my give N Korea a free trade deal and special tax exemptions to businesses that relocate to there from China? Just think of the untapped labor force and cost savings potential, for uh, world peace.
Mar 3, 2021 7:53 PM
Jan 2021
good now lets ween ourselfs off the cheep goods too
Mar 3, 2021 9:35 PM
Oct 2020
ProfessionalNEET said:
HeadCannon said:

How do you suggest other countries stop China from doing all the shit they do?

When it comes to Chinese domestic policy, I don't think other countries should do anything. The Chinese people should ultimately be the ones to decide what kind of domestic policy to have. When a country tries to meddle in another country's internal affairs, it generally doesn't go very well.

How far are you willing to take that principle? Do you believe it's ethically permissible to buy the products of slave labor?
Mar 3, 2021 10:47 PM
Oct 2020
ProfessionalNEET said:
HeadCannon said:

How far are you willing to take that principle? Do you believe it's ethically permissible to buy the products of slave labor?

If a country wants to boycott countries and/or companies that use slave labor, I suppose that might be okay. It would probably be rather difficult to do though, since a lot of products are made with slave labor. Additionally, slavery is not limited the China. For example, slavery still exists in the United States in the form of prison slavery.

"When it comes to Chinese domestic policy, I don't think other countries should do anything. The Chinese people should ultimately be the ones to decide what kind of domestic policy to have."

Why don't you think other countries should do anything?
Mar 6, 2021 8:07 AM

Jul 2015
Looks like they noticed China trying to draw-in chipmaking talent the past few years and are finally taking action.
Mar 8, 2021 6:38 AM

Jan 2019
ProfessionalNEET said:
If poor countries could put an end to this plundering, they could likely develop pretty quickly.

Just needing the rich countries don't interfere poor countries’ policy, the most poor countries will do good things that amaze you, if their leaders want to develop. This is also the reason that China is richer and richer.
Mar 12, 2021 9:34 AM

Feb 2021
ProfessionalNEET said:
I'm not sure this is really necessary or helpful. Economic interdependence is one of the best ways of deterring conflict between countries.

Do you think China will throw a fit because the U.S. want to explore other options?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 12, 2021 10:03 PM

Feb 2021
ProfessionalNEET said:
Winden said:

Do you think China will throw a fit because the U.S. want to explore other options?

They might, or at least be less willing to cooperate with the United States on other matters. My main concern though is that, if economic interdependence is sufficiently reduced, American, and perhaps Chinese, politicians would be less reluctant to go to war, as the economic cost would be lower. Both countries are nuclear powers, so perhaps can be avoided with or without economic interdependence.

Wait, why would less reluctance to go to war be your main concern?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 12, 2021 10:44 PM

Feb 2021
ProfessionalNEET said:
Winden said:

Wait, why would less reluctance to go to war be your main concern?

Because war between China and the United States would not exactly be a good thing, especially since both countries possess nuclear weapons.

Then wouldn't you want them to be less reluctant to go to war?
Mar 12, 2021 10:54 PM

Feb 2021
ProfessionalNEET said:
Winden said:

Then wouldn't you want them to be less reluctant to go to war?

Because them being less reluctant to go to war would increase the probability that they go to war

Oh, I get it now. Thank you!
Mar 14, 2021 12:56 AM

Dec 2016
Real talk. Good luck with that though. Even Bill Maher knows we already lost to China it just hasn't come due yet. The wag the dog tail is trying to frame the we need to withdraw our military as a 'oh, America doesn't really need to do this kind of stuff anymore. It will really save us some money" instead of the retreat it really is.

Get on the wrong side of the worlds only future superpower if you wan to.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.