Forum Settings
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Movie -Rebellion-
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 28, 2021 7:37 PM
Mar 2020
Time for the next controversial thread...

It is a known fact that K-On is a masterpiece. But Madoka Magica Rebellion gathers a lot of hate, especially in regards to its ending (Although jarring at first, I believe it makes a lot of sense.).

Agree? Disagree?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 28, 2021 7:38 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Glad to see someone else who agrees on Rebellion being a masterpiece.
I just hope SHAFT announces a sequel soon, maybe during part of the series' 10th anniversary project this year.
Jan 28, 2021 7:43 PM

Sep 2011
I didn't know it was controversial to like that movie... I thought it was good. Not a masterpiece, but good for what it was.

"They escaped the weight of darkness,
to forge a path into the marrow of the spirit.
They chose to drown in a deeper vacancy,
an emptiness that quells the null,
a pool for the forgotten..."
Jan 28, 2021 7:43 PM

Oct 2018
Yes, I have said this a few times before but Madoka Magica: Rebellion is what The End of Evangelion Movie wishes it could be. Rebellion is what EoE would have been if it was actually a good movie.
Jan 28, 2021 7:44 PM
BL Connoisseur

Oct 2008
I completely and utterly agree. I think it concludes the series beautifully. Would love a sequel - honestly, if they made the concept movie they teased years ago into an actual move, I would be so happy.

I refuse to acknowledge the existence of Magia Record, goodbye.

I am forever your most devoted believer.

Jan 28, 2021 7:45 PM

Apr 2019
Rebellion is a really good movie but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece. I didn't really like the ending as it felt like a cock tease to a sequel that never happened.
Jan 28, 2021 7:45 PM
Mar 2020
Adimus_prime said:
Yes, I have said this a few times before but Madoka Magica: Rebellion is what The End of Evangelion Movie wishes it could be. Rebellion is what EoE would have been if it was actually a good movie.

I actually quite like EoE but I definitely prefer Rebellion over it.
Jan 28, 2021 7:46 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Xaeveax said:
I didn't know it was controversial to like that movie... I thought it was good. Not a masterpiece, but good for what it was.

It's not so controversial these days, but back in the first few years after the movie released in 2013...... ooh boy, was liking it and Homura's character there a bit of a hot take in the fanbase back then lololol.
Personally, I was in the group who loved the movie and still thought Homura did nothing wrong from the very start.
Jan 28, 2021 7:47 PM
Mar 2020
gwendal738 said:
I completely and utterly agree. I think it concludes the series beautifully. Would love a sequel - honestly, if they made the concept movie they teased years ago into an actual move, I would be so happy.

I don't dare touch Magia Record because I think Madoka Magica is a masterpiece. I'll have to check out the teased concept movie
Jan 28, 2021 7:48 PM
Mar 2020
Xaeveax said:

Hmm. I had the impression it was heavily hated because of the ending. We'll see how this thread progresses I guess
Jan 28, 2021 7:50 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
JezzaC said:
Xaeveax said:

Hmm. I had the impression it was heavily hated because of the ending. We'll see how this thread progresses I guess

You wouldn't be wrong for thinking that way, the movie's ending kinda divided the fanbase for a while haha. I think everyone calmed down as the years went by and people started making videos talking about what happened and how it made some amount of sense.
Jan 28, 2021 7:50 PM
Mar 2020
King_KK said:
Rebellion is a really good movie but I wouldn't call it a masterpiece. I didn't really like the ending as it felt like a cock tease to a sequel that never happened.

But rebellion doesn't need a sequel tbh. It is just a never ending cycle of tragedy
Jan 28, 2021 7:55 PM

Jan 2020
I just watched it today and it was amazing.

Jan 28, 2021 8:03 PM
Mar 2020
ManWild said:
I just watched it today and it was amazing.

You have amazing taste my friend. :)
Jan 28, 2021 8:14 PM

May 2016
Rebellion is a pretty great movie once it actually gets moving, but that opening act is just too hard to swallow for me.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Jan 28, 2021 8:17 PM
Mar 2020
Zelkiiro said:
Rebellion is a pretty great movie once it actually gets moving, but that opening act is just too hard to swallow for me.

Yeah the start was probably the worst part of the movie
Jan 28, 2021 8:24 PM

Sep 2011
gwendal738 said:

JezzaC said:
I don't dare touch Magia Record because I think Madoka Magica is a masterpiece. I'll have to check out the teased concept movie

Wise choices. I watched it and... yeah it was about as bad as I expected it to be. Completely pointless. They managed to not only make a dumb side story, but also drag the existing characters through the mud by turning them into blank slates devoid of all previous personality.

Jan 28, 2021 8:27 PM
Jul 2018
These threads may all be pointless but I feel a compulsive need to reply to all of them in agreement
Madoka Magica Rebellion is in my opinion a masterpiece
Jan 28, 2021 8:44 PM

Apr 2018
I think Rebellion undeniably made an extremely bold move with its ending and handled it spectacularly. It makes complete logical sense in the context of everything that came before it (assuming you've been paying close attention throughout the series and movie) yet it manages to move the story and characters along in mind-blowing ways while decisively subverting all expectations developed throughout the entire series and movies. These days where even the notion of risk taking in storytelling seems to be anathema to anime (to say nothing of successful risk taking), Rebellion and what it accomplished really stands out in my opinion.

JezzaC said:

Good choice. Magia Record so far has managed to take all the pomp and flair of the original series and none of the substance that actually made it interesting and gave it depth.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
CravenlockFeb 12, 2021 11:03 AM
Jan 28, 2021 8:49 PM
Feb 2017
I disagree although Rebellion is still a very solid movie. I gave it a 8/10 purely because I didn't have as high of an enjoyment of it. It's one of those things where even if it has solid writing, the enjoyment levels don't match that.
Jan 28, 2021 9:21 PM
BL Connoisseur

Oct 2008
Xaeveax said:
gwendal738 said:

JezzaC said:

Wise choices. I watched it and... yeah it was about as bad as I expected it to be. Completely pointless. They managed to not only make a dumb side story, but also drag the existing characters through the mud by turning them into blank slates devoid of all previous personality.

I was about to watch it. But then I saw a few minutes of one episode and I know, just know, that it was not going to live up to my expectations OR, at the VERY least, satiate my hunger for more MSMM content. It's unworthy of being called a part of the franchise. It's so clear that Urobuchi didn't work on it, since it clearly lacks any of his genius and, in my opinion (from first impression at least), it was just some cheap CGDCT anime that was trying to pass off as a part of the MSMM franchise.

Jan 28, 2021 9:56 PM
Mar 2020
BlakexEkalb said:
I disagree although Rebellion is still a very solid movie. I gave it a 8/10 purely because I didn't have as high of an enjoyment of it. It's one of those things where even if it has solid writing, the enjoyment levels don't match that.

Of course enjoyment is subjective. Most of my 8/10 are shows that have minimal flaws but I don't enjoy them nearly as much as the 9s and 10s
Jan 28, 2021 10:20 PM

Feb 2019
never seen it even though I loved the series and have like 3 figures haha. should probably get onto it
Jan 28, 2021 10:24 PM
Mar 2020
yaruka said:
never seen it even though I loved the series and have like 3 figures haha. should probably get onto it

I thought the movie was even better than the series.
Jan 28, 2021 10:31 PM
BL Connoisseur

Oct 2008
JezzaC said:

I thought the movie was even better than the series.

THIS. I totally agree.

I loved the movie more than I loved the entire series because it was just so hauntingly beautiful in every single way. The symbolism hidden in their transformation sequences (which we never got in the original series - although of course there was a reason for that), the subliminal messages hidden in the background art, how everything just ties together, so many other reasons... it was ugh. Chef's kiss in every single way.

Time for a rewatch. Last time I rewatched it in its entirety was 2018, I think. Although I do rewatch the fight scene between Mami and Homura very often I've probably memorized it frame by frame, lmao.

Jan 29, 2021 3:25 AM

Sep 2011
gwendal738 said:
Xaeveax said:

I was about to watch it. But then I saw a few minutes of one episode and I know, just know, that it was not going to live up to my expectations OR, at the VERY least, satiate my hunger for more MSMM content. It's unworthy of being called a part of the franchise. It's so clear that Urobuchi didn't work on it, since it clearly lacks any of his genius and, in my opinion (from first impression at least), it was just some cheap CGDCT anime that was trying to pass off as a part of the MSMM franchise.

Yeah, the whole thing was VERY clearly a marketing campaign for the mobile game, and nothing more. At the end of each episode it even had an end slate ad for the game. Felt weird to see the Google Play and App Store logos in an anime.

Jan 29, 2021 3:28 AM

Feb 2013
It seems it was average for me since I gave it a 5, but I seriously don't remember a thing about it, that says a lot.
Jan 29, 2021 3:31 AM

Dec 2018
Whilst I don’t think it’s better than the original series I do think it’s really good. I love the visuals especially and how Homura is characterised throughout it. The ending was a lil’ bit rushed but I think it made sense overall.
Jan 29, 2021 3:33 AM

Jan 2018
Yes but it's also sad that urobuchi had to take his own story hostage to stop corporate from milking it till it turns to shit .

GG on him
Jan 29, 2021 3:36 AM

Jan 2018
gwendal738 said:
Xaeveax said:

1+ this

Magia record was really disappointing.
They just threw a bunch of characters in ( gotta sell those gatchas aye ) and expect you to care when the story itself and the conflicts in it barely make sense .
Trow in some guest appearances of the OG Madoka crew in there for good measure
Jan 29, 2021 3:37 AM

Jul 2020
It's definitely a masterpiece! 10/10 Homura is a great protagonist and her development was a masterpiece. However, I personally hated what the writers (Magica Quartet) did to Madoka and Homura's relationship. There's no way in hell this two could ever be enemies.
Jan 29, 2021 3:37 AM

Sep 2008
>k-on is a masterpiece
no.
>rebellion is
yes.
I hated the original ending of madoka, but the movies corrected that for me. I was impressed.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Jan 29, 2021 3:38 AM

Oct 2010
homura's choice makes no sense and how come a random jewel seed was more powerful that madoka's god powers? a witch can't be more powerful than god that's for sure because we knew that since the last episode. you can argue that madoka wanted to become human again but the price payed was too much, homura is a "devil" and her life is ruined, why would madoka accept something like that?
and the identity of walpurgisnacht is still unknown, anyways, the movie was decent but too over the top.
Jan 29, 2021 3:41 AM

Jan 2018
Fario-P said:
Glad to see someone else who agrees on Rebellion being a masterpiece.
I just hope SHAFT announces a sequel soon, maybe during part of the series' 10th anniversary project this year.

I think the point of rebellions end is to end Madoka

Rebellion wasn't supposed to exist in the first place

But corporate wanted a sequel and urobuchi was pretty much forced to do it.
We know how sequels to his stories turn out when they force a sequel without him ( Looking at Psycho pass 2 here)

And originally rebellion was planned to end with homura being taken away by Madoka .

But corporate wanted to have the end be open for yet another sequel.

So urobuchi wrote the end in a way that makes it pretty much impossible to make a sequel without him as the writer.

He had to pretty much take his own creation hostage to prevent others from milking it into ruin

I think he could make a good 4th movie .
But i don't think he wants to.
And if shaft makes one without him it will be a disaster
Jan 29, 2021 3:42 AM

May 2019
You again? what series are u going to called masterpiece haha. Love the original series but not so much for the movie eventhough Homura did nothing wrong there. She is one of my favorite as well.

Jan 29, 2021 3:42 AM

Aug 2018
yes k-on is a masterpiece

yes madoka magica rebellion is a masterpiece as well
Jan 29, 2021 3:43 AM

Jul 2019
This is correct yes. Madoka Magica > your fav anime.
Jan 29, 2021 3:44 AM

Jan 2018
Catalano said:
homura's choice makes no sense and how come a random jewel seed was more powerful that madoka's god powers? a witch can't be more powerful than god that's for sure because we knew that since the last episode. you can argue that madoka wanted to become human again but the price payed was too much, homura is a "devil" and her life is ruined, why would madoka accept something like that?
and the identity of walpurgisnacht is still unknown, anyways, the movie was decent but too over the top.

It's the obsessive love of homura.
That's what she says herself .

How come any soul gem was able to create a god in the first place ?
Love

Homuras choice makes sense when you consider that her entire character is obsessing over Madoka.

Tho the truth is that the end that was planned for homura was to just get taken away by Madoka

But corporate wanted the end to allow for another sequel so Gen had to take his own story hostage

Good luck writing a sequel without him
Jan 29, 2021 3:49 AM

Jul 2020
CuteAssTiger said:
gwendal738 said:

1+ this

They just threw a bunch of characters in ( gotta sell those gatchas aye ) and expect you to care when the story itself and the conflicts in it barely make sense .

I don't think the writers of Magia Record actually understood the characters of Madoka Magica. They made Mami act like a complete retard and Kyoko didn't feel like the same character. I felt bad for what they did to Mami at the last episode. This makes me worried about Madoka and Homura. I hope they don't appear in the second season.
Jan 29, 2021 3:52 AM

Jan 2018
Wonginus said:
CuteAssTiger said:

1+ this

I don't think the writers of Magia Record actually understood the characters of Madoka Magica. They made Mami act like a complete retard and Kyoko didn't feel like the same character. I felt bad for what they did to Mami at the last episode. This makes me worried about Madoka and Homura. I hope they don't appear in the second season.

I'm sure we could figure that out by checking the gatcha game it's based on.
But i honestly don't care either way.
Not sure if I'm going to watch season 2

Im comfortable with just not treating any fanfictions as canon ;D
Jan 29, 2021 3:57 AM

Oct 2010
CuteAssTiger said:
Catalano said:

Love

Homuras choice makes sense when you consider that her entire character is obsessing over Madoka.

Tho the truth is that the end that was planned for homura was to just get taken away by Madoka

But corporate wanted the end to allow for another sequel so Gen had to take his own story hostage

Homura was obsessive sure, but she accepted the outcome and Madoka's choice in episode 12.

Madoka only made a wish, we say she became god but it's an exaggeration, she only has the power to erase all witches in existence (past or future) and replace them with wraiths (stuff we fight in the Wraith arc manga but it's omitted in Rebellion), her wish should've been perfect and her power should've heal Homura's jewel seed because the same thing happened to Walpurgisnacht. We can just speculate and say that Homura's wish and love was more powerful than Madoka which is fair I guess. But why didn't her love worked in episode 12? even here in Rebellion, the aliens weren't that powerful as to capture Madoka.

I agree with you on the last one, a decent good ending would've been Madoka healing Homura but the producers wanted a cliffhanger for a sequel. i think they could've made a sequel with a happy non-crazy obsessive Homura though
Jan 29, 2021 4:24 AM

Jan 2018
Catalano said:
CuteAssTiger said:

Love

Homura was obsessive sure, but she accepted the outcome and Madoka's choice in episode 12.

Madoka only made a wish, we say she became god but it's an exaggeration, she only has the power to erase all witches in existence (past or future) and replace them with wraiths (stuff we fight in the Wraith arc manga but it's omitted in Rebellion), her wish should've been perfect and her power should've heal Homura's jewel seed because the same thing happened to Walpurgisnacht. We can just speculate and say that Homura's wish and love was more powerful than Madoka which is fair I guess. But why didn't her love worked in episode 12? even here in Rebellion, the aliens weren't that powerful as to capture Madoka.

I agree with you on the last one, a decent good ending would've been Madoka healing Homura but the producers wanted a cliffhanger for a sequel. i think they could've made a sequel with a happy non-crazy obsessive Homura though

she litterally rejects what madoka is doing in their coversation thou ?
how did she accept that ?
we also see her emitting wings that look like a witchs labyrinth . Clearly showing that she is falling into despair in a world without madoka .
so how did she accept that ?

the way kyuubey put it she had to become a god in order to make that change.
by the same logic someone like homura could do the same

and madoka isnt really " healing" anybody.
she is taking away the despair and they then disappear.
its not like they just stop being magical girls . they are removed by madoka.
Walpurgisnacht got deleted.

i agree that on its own the outcome of the original anime can be taken as madoka making the perfect wish ( and i take that ).
But the way rebellion expands the story doesnt directly contradict anything we knew from the OG.
the extend of what madokas new existence means was very ambiguous .

and the incubators werent really that powerful to begin with . they exploid the girls for their potential to power but the incubators themselves dont really have power outside of their technology.
though yeah the incubators being able to create a container that could seperate homura from madokas influence is bullshit.
i mean i guess there arent any clear rules but you would expect madoka to be able to work arround a container that a funny alien cat made .

ultimately the best choice would have been to leave the story alone .
its unfortunate how many anime urobuchi writes "have" to get a sequel because they are sucessfull even though the story is already finished.
madoka didnt need a sequel. i like the sequel but it wasnt supposed to exist
Jan 29, 2021 4:46 AM

Jul 2020
CuteAssTiger said:
Catalano said:

we also see her emitting wings that look like a witchs labyrinth . Clearly showing that she is falling into despair in a world without madoka .

Dude what. Homura walking alone through the empty desert was to represent that she continues to fight forever in honor of Madoka's sacrifice according to writers. That scene has nothing to do with Homura falling into despair. The Black wings you're talking about was a detail added by Inu Curry, it was not written in the script and even Urobuchi was surprised by it and said that black wings is a "mystery". Really, that scene has nothing to do with Rebellion.
CrowGRJan 29, 2021 4:49 AM
Jan 29, 2021 4:51 AM

Jan 2018
Wonginus said:
CuteAssTiger said:

Dude what. Homura walking alone through the empty desert was to represent that she continues to fight forever in honor of Madoka's sacrifice according to writers. That scene has nothing to do with Homura falling into despair. The Black wings you're talking about is a detail added by Inu Curry, it was not written in the script and even Urobuchi was surprised by it and said that black wings is a "mystery". Really, that scene has nothing to do with Rebellion.

well ,source then ? first time i hear anything like that .
Jan 29, 2021 5:14 AM

Oct 2010
@CuteAssTiger
thanks for taking the time to write that, nice analysis, I missed the part about the powers, it's true that they won't become witches but they'll continue being magical girls.
Anyways, they should've adapted the Wraith arc manga and continue from there
Jan 29, 2021 5:16 AM

Sep 2020
I did like how the film explored the tension between the outcome of the series and Homura's discomfort with Madoka's sacrifice. It would have been quite easy to leave the series as neatly concluded and just accept the ending as a bittersweet compromise, so it was interesting to see this developed. I do think I'd like them to leave it at that, though - Madoka's quite a simple story and there's no need to further convolute it.
Jan 29, 2021 5:21 AM
May 2018
I will hate Homura for as long as I live.
Jan 29, 2021 5:24 AM

Nov 2016
I hated it and after 2 rewatches it still didn't change my opinion

K-On is amazing though but not quite a masterpiece.
Jan 29, 2021 5:33 AM
Mar 2020
Psajdak said:
I will hate Homura for as long as I live.

I guess that's your opinion. I feel sorry for her
Jan 29, 2021 5:48 AM

Jul 2020
CuteAssTiger said:
Wonginus said:

Dude what. Homura walking alone through the empty desert was to represent that she continues to fight forever in honor of Madoka's sacrifice according to writers. That scene has nothing to do with Homura falling into despair. The Black wings you're talking about is a detail added by Inu Curry, it was not written in the script and even Urobuchi was surprised by it and said that black wings is a "mystery". Really, that scene has nothing to do with Rebellion.

well ,source then ? first time i hear anything like that .

Well, seems that I got it wrong: https://www.4gamer.net/games/130/G013023/20110617067/index_4.html I can't understand what Urobuchi is saying exactly, the translation is horrible.

The source regarding the "Black wings" thing or whatever https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2012-01-29
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Movie 3: Hangyaku no Monogatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dimasmw - Oct 27, 2013

1042 by Biisoo »»
Apr 17, 7:10 AM

» State your opinion: Did Homura REALLY do nothing wrong?

StanSayakaMiki77 - Apr 17, 2023

19 by APolygons2 »»
Jul 18, 2023 5:23 PM

» Explaining the final twist

APolygons2 - Oct 19, 2022

45 by ScionOfCyan »»
Jan 30, 2023 7:28 PM

» Plot Holes? What exactly happened between.... (movie spoilers)

Rob7 - Sep 24, 2022

18 by APolygons2 »»
Oct 19, 2022 6:45 AM

» Series spoiler! Is the movie somehow related to the tv series?

Alfreda02 - Sep 23, 2022

11 by daibayuus »»
Sep 24, 2022 9:53 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.