Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 22, 2021 7:38 PM
Ichigo Parfait
Oct 2015
Despite starting the season exceedingly strong, 2.43 is currently suffering the depths of a mid 6 rating, and I cannot fathom why it's so low. Is it Haikyuu fans getting salty that there's another Volleyball anime? This show's set of characters are compelling and charismatic enough to make you want to root for all of their happiness, and the direction of the story and the pacing leaves practicslly no room for boredom.

I don't understand.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jan 22, 2021 8:12 PM
Jun 2020
Man I get where you're coming form but its not really criminally low and I'd even say justified with the absolutely trash directing this last episode. It really has a cast I want to learn to like and drama I want to follow but it throws all the potential it ever had out of the window with the absolutely horrendous directing. I dont know how far you've watched but this contains spoilers for episode 3.

They created some good tension between the two mains but it gets resolved by a very stupid moment. Not to mention where the fuck did that timeskip come from. No build up no nothing just king crimson'd the fuck out of us. Just suddenly skips from 3rd year middles school to fucking 1st year high school a few terms in. You hastily introduce a team and pull all that bullshit with the messy direction and rushed pacing in episode 2 and then what do you to rub salt to the wound? A time skip with no build up or explanation which was handled in the most stupidly written way possible and it threw away its biggest strength which was Chika's internal strife and his past which IS what would have made the show worth watching and gives us generic spokon B with some odd sound design choices. Filthy direction with messy storyboarding and just no cohesion at all. This is not a story if anything its a clusterfuck of the writers lack of effort for the show. I seriously see no other way to put it and it saddens me so much because this is what I was looking forward to the most this season no joke. First episode seems really interesting but god does the quality drop like a rock in an ocean. I say ocean because with the lack of quality its just another drop in the ocean of generic spokons that had potential but became utterly generic. Just a shame that it had to go this way man. Its not criminally low IMO but these are just my two cents.
Jan 22, 2021 8:28 PM
Ichigo Parfait
Oct 2015
Ashed_13 said:
Man I get where you're coming form but its not really criminally low and I'd even say justified with the absolutely trash directing this last episode. It really has a cast I want to learn to like and drama I want to follow but it throws all the potential it ever had out of the window with the absolutely horrendous directing. I dont know how far you've watched but this contains spoilers for episode 3.

They created some good tension between the two mains but it gets resolved by a very stupid moment. Not to mention where the fuck did that timeskip come from. No build up no nothing just king crimson'd the fuck out of us. Just suddenly skips from 3rd year middles school to fucking 1st year high school a few terms in. You hastily introduce a team and pull all that bullshit with the messy direction and rushed pacing in episode 2 and then what do you to rub salt to the wound? A time skip with no build up or explanation which was handled in the most stupidly written way possible and it threw away its biggest strength which was Chika's internal strife and his past which IS what would have made the show worth watching and gives us generic spokon B with some odd sound design choices. Filthy direction with messy storyboarding and just no cohesion at all. This is not a story if anything its a clusterfuck of the writers lack of effort for the show. I seriously see no other way to put it and it saddens me so much because this is what I was looking forward to the most this season no joke. First episode seems really interesting but god does the quality drop like a rock in an ocean. I say ocean because with the lack of quality its just another drop in the ocean of generic spokons that had potential but became utterly generic. Just a shame that it had to go this way man. Its not criminally low IMO but these are just my two cents.

If I'm being honest I completely expected the time skip going into episode 3. The first two episodes felt like a setup, and for the most part that setup was complete by episode 2. There was even some dialogue that suggested what was next was high school.

Now,im not sure if it's just because I'm writer myself but I didn't believe this tension between Kuroba and Haijima was supposed to be the main focus. At the end of the day it felt like something minor, and given the circumstances of both players it didn't feel like it was going to last either. Its how I would have written it anyway, with a much more important focus of Haijima's past and Kuroba's severe anxiety, because those are our main characters selling points.
Jan 22, 2021 8:33 PM
Dec 2019
Man fr tho...It definitely is a 7.5-8 rn for me...Anything under that is stupidly low for it and idk why its like that
Jan 22, 2021 8:34 PM
Jun 2020
Now that you put it that way fine but still it
DemonChicken123 said:
Ashed_13 said:

If I'm being honest I completely expected the time skip going into episode 3. The first two episodes felt like a setup, and for the most part that setup was complete by episode 2. There was even some dialogue that suggested what was next was high school.

Now,im not sure if it's just because I'm writer myself but I didn't believe this tension between Kuroba and Haijima was supposed to be the main focus. At the end of the day it felt like something minor, and given the circumstances of both players it didn't feel like it was going to last either. Its how I would have written it anyway, with a much more important focus of Haijima's past and Kuroba's severe anxiety, because those are our main characters selling points.

Sure I guess you can look at it like that but man it still felt like they were pulling the rug from underneath you and that seems to be the most common complaint from what I see. And about the skip sure I also expected it but man you do need some or other explanation instead of treating it like the time that passed in between just doesnt exist which is what it feels like to me. About the the last part I'll give you that one but they could have leveraged that bit of drama quite a bit more and expanded upon the dynamic of the two.
Jan 22, 2021 9:51 PM
Oct 2019
Honestly I think people are just shitting on 2.43 because they want more Haikyuu. For what has aired, I'm into it AND I really like that it's not a carbon copy of Haikyuu. They've done a good job of making a totally different volleyball anime. If people can't see past that, I don't think they're really watching it. They're just comparing.

The show is a solid 7 for me. I'm looking forward for more and to see these characters grow.
Jan 23, 2021 7:10 AM
Dec 2020
DemonChicken123 said:
Despite starting the season exceedingly strong, 2.43 is currently suffering the depths of a mid 6 rating, and I cannot fathom why it's so low. Is it Haikyuu fans getting salty that there's another Volleyball anime? This show's set of characters are compelling and charismatic enough to make you want to root for all of their happiness, and the direction of the story and the pacing leaves practicslly no room for boredom.

I don't understand.
The story plot is just shit. What do you have to say about the backstory of Kageyma from Haikyuu and Haijima? aren’t they similar?
Jan 23, 2021 9:51 AM

Apr 2018
Not gonna lie, anybody who didn't see the time skip coming clearly hasn't read the, uh, the title. The time skip is literally right there in the title and the fact that this is the main complaint people have so far is completely bonkers.
Oh the tournament arc came so quickly! And they practically skipped over it! How dare they! And we didn't even get to know the characters! Like my good pals that is literally the exact same thing haikyuu did for its first episode and somehow that was never a problem. Sometimes stories have a prologue, why is this suddenly so controversial lmao

pranaw01 said:
The story plot is just shit. What do you have to say about the backstory of Kageyma from Haikyuu and Haijima? aren’t they similar?

Also judging the "plot" after 3 episodes of mostly prologue is,,, well i'd call it premature, but really it's closer to impossible, innit? considering we have yet to get to the actual plot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
And if i'm already replying, idk if you're anime only and have a different perspective on Kageyama bc of that, but while their personalities are very superficially similar, their backstories so far seem nothing alike beyond the "did an oopsie that alienated their former teammates" bit, which is really as barebones as it gets. And even then, hey, putting a good thing into a different show doesn't magically make it bad, by that same metric all shounen would be awful lmao
elanyJan 23, 2021 10:16 AM
Jan 23, 2021 10:10 AM
Oct 2019
It just started, let just wait until the ended of the season...
Chill and relax
Jan 23, 2021 10:30 AM

Jan 2008
I've not got to episode 3 and it's not a priority for me. I have low expectations based on the first two episodes. They were both lacklustre and resolved too quickly. I understand the first three episodes are a sort of back story prologue but it would have been better to either have it in one episode or spread out over five or six episodes. It's like it tried to be a proper backstory but flubbed it into condense mode.

I don't usually fall into the three episode ruling but if I did then 2.43 is lacking a lot. I certainly didn't come into it expecting another Haikyuu. Nor have I made comparisons to it as they may both have volleyball but the story being told is completely different.

So I understand why it's not got a higher score then you wanted it to. 6 isn't a terrible score.
Jan 23, 2021 1:01 PM
Ichigo Parfait
Oct 2015
pranaw01 said:
DemonChicken123 said:

I don't understand.

I haven't watched Haikyuu, which is maybe why I'm not needlessly comparing the two.
Jan 23, 2021 1:04 PM
Ichigo Parfait
Oct 2015
Ashed_13 said:
Now that you put it that way fine but still it
DemonChicken123 said:

Sure I guess you can look at it like that but man it still felt like they were pulling the rug from underneath you and that seems to be the most common complaint from what I see. And about the skip sure I also expected it but man you do need some or other explanation instead of treating it like the time that passed in between just doesnt exist which is what it feels like to me. About the the last part I'll give you that one but they could have leveraged that bit of drama quite a bit more and expanded upon the dynamic of the two.

I imagine nothing of note happened during the time skip, and while I do agree to some extent that a little bit of detail on what ended up happening would be very much appreciated, just to make the transition from post and pre timeskip a lot smoother, I don't think it's enough to warrant a rating of 6.4, For me so far the anime is a reasonable 8. The pacing is one of the issues dragging the score down for me, but imo most everything else is being handled quite well.

Then again, after the ATROCITY of BNA I don't have the greatest expectations for character writing. that being said, I'm really intrigued as to what's going to happen next.
Jan 23, 2021 1:07 PM
Ichigo Parfait
Oct 2015
UberBat said:
I've not got to episode 3 and it's not a priority for me. I have low expectations based on the first two episodes. They were both lacklustre and resolved too quickly. I understand the first three episodes are a sort of back story prologue but it would have been better to either have it in one episode or spread out over five or six episodes. It's like it tried to be a proper backstory but flubbed it into condense mode.

I don't usually fall into the three episode ruling but if I did then 2.43 is lacking a lot. I certainly didn't come into it expecting another Haikyuu. Nor have I made comparisons to it as they may both have volleyball but the story being told is completely different.

So I understand why it's not got a higher score then you wanted it to. 6 isn't a terrible score.

Judging it based on MAL, anything below 7 is a bad score. Most people's average ratings are above 7 (including yours I might add) and honestly I've seen anime a LOT worse, plenty of worse anime, that have scores around low to mid 7.
Jan 23, 2021 1:13 PM

Dec 2019
Because the MC ruins the entire show and makes you drop it. I would have continued and enjoyed watching the show, if it wasn't for the MC
Rey3Jan 23, 2021 1:16 PM
Jan 23, 2021 1:22 PM
Ichigo Parfait
Oct 2015
Reyam121 said:
Because the MC ruins the entire show and makes you drop it. I would have continued and enjoyed watching the show, if it wasn't for the MC

Except he doesn't, and I didn't. Gonna have to be a bit more specific than "MC bad, therefore nobody wants to watch it".
Jan 23, 2021 2:44 PM
Jan 2021
I've seen too many people hate on Chika. He's a perfectly fine character, his main thing is that he's a douche (actual douche, not comedic like Kageyama or Tsukishima). People don't understand that he's meant to develop and become a better person (being the protagaonist and everything) ffs.
Jan 23, 2021 2:54 PM

Feb 2019
Seasonals shows lately are being rated lower than compared to older shows. Then, from these couple of episodes, it would've probably be at 7 or 7.1, now it's lower. 6.8 is actually pretty common/average these days for seasonals. Those who dropped before 1/3 of the total number of episodes won't have their ratings count towards the final average once it finishes airing. Maybe stop caring so much about how other people rate it and enjoy it yourself if it's to your preferences?
Jan 23, 2021 5:40 PM
Dec 2020
DemonChicken123 said:
pranaw01 said:

I haven't watched Haikyuu, which is maybe why I'm not needlessly comparing the two.
After you watch Haikyuu you will fell its 2.43 is like a ripoff of it.
Jan 23, 2021 7:04 PM

Apr 2018
pranaw01 said:
DemonChicken123 said:

Saying that really makes it seem like you haven seen/read hq lmao
Jan 23, 2021 9:27 PM
Ichigo Parfait
Oct 2015
Kosmonaut said:
Seasonals shows lately are being rated lower than compared to older shows. Then, from these couple of episodes, it would've probably be at 7 or 7.1, now it's lower. 6.8 is actually pretty common/average these days for seasonals. Those who dropped before 1/3 of the total number of episodes won't have their ratings count towards the final average once it finishes airing. Maybe stop caring so much about how other people rate it and enjoy it yourself if it's to your preferences?

First of all, this is a forum made for discussion, so having an interest in other people's opinions is entirely normal. If something I like is generally hated by most other people, I see no problem with wanting to understand why. I made a post, I didn't exactly start a war, I wouldn't call a discussion 'caring too much'.
Jan 25, 2021 1:54 AM

Dec 2019
DemonChicken123 said:
Reyam121 said:

Except he doesn't, and I didn't. Gonna have to be a bit more specific than "MC bad, therefore nobody wants to watch it".

I never stated that my comment applies to everyone, so i don't know where you got that from. I was simply asking a question with my own person opinion, which i know i am not alone about. No one is saying you cannot enjoy the show, so please do enjoy it
Jan 25, 2021 2:46 PM
Jul 2018
The pacing is way too fast, the MC is a douche and his attitude is cliché, it's not really a volleyball anime--it's more of a drama, and it's just bad. Period.
Jan 25, 2021 4:36 PM

Feb 2020
People watch a Shojo anime, expect it to be Haikyuu and are disappointed apparently.
Jan 25, 2021 4:41 PM

Jun 2014
It's probably because of the boring character designs, which is why I won't ever consider watching it.

Jan 27, 2021 9:42 PM
Jul 2020
this anime is fine for now.
Jan 27, 2021 9:53 PM

May 2018
Probably because the MC is gay.

Also the score should be 2.43 to match the title.
Jan 28, 2021 11:06 AM
Nov 2019
Ocat1234 said:
People watch a Shojo anime, expect it to be Haikyuu and are disappointed apparently.

Pretty much this.

Only_Brad said:

I'm guessing you were high while commenting this
Jan 28, 2021 5:54 PM

Jun 2020
1. The two mcs are just unlikable. It's okay to have flawed characters, that's actually a strength. But the problem arises when their whole personality is one big flaw, and they have no endearing qualities to make up for it. The main characters in a character-driven story are meant to be the people you'll care about and cheer for. Or at the very least, they're meant to be an entertaining dumpster fire. Yuni and Chika are none of these things (to most people). Still, that could have been rectified if they at least had an interesting dynamic, but they don't. They're usually either misunderstanding each other or being dry as hell.

2. The conflicts that have emerged so far held zero gravity and got resolved so quickly. The pacing doesn't carry all the blame here, there's also the fact that some of the conflicts have been over such miniscule things that they were so easy to resolve. This makes the show seem melodramatic and reflects badly on the characters.

3. The episodes so far have presented nothing that strikes me as meaningful. The characters seem surface level, and the events are disconnected bits of drama that don't feel like they amount to anything.
korix_Jan 28, 2021 6:18 PM
Jan 28, 2021 8:24 PM
Aug 2020
DemonChicken123 said:

I don't understand.

I’m a haikyuu fan and from what i’ve seen in the community, everyone was hyped for this, so i don’t think it was salty fans. There’s not many watching it, the pacing is incredibly wonky, and half the time i didn’t even know what was going on. Also there’s a TON of cliches and things which make it a bit predictable. The characters are cool and they do have a great cast for this show. Overall i think the rating should probably be anywhere from where it is now to a 7.
Jan 28, 2021 8:25 PM
Aug 2020
DemonChicken123 said:
pranaw01 said:

go watch haikyu and then come back and tell me they didn’t take even a LITTLE bit of kageyamas character and put it into haijima
Jan 28, 2021 8:27 PM
Aug 2020
pranaw01 said:
DemonChicken123 said:

I don't understand.

exactly what i was thinking.
Jan 28, 2021 8:30 PM
Aug 2020
Only_Brad said:

what does the mc being gay have to do with anything?????
Jan 28, 2021 9:08 PM

May 2018
mrsbokuto said:
Only_Brad said:

Is this a serious question? People hate it when a MC acts gay, blushing all over the other guy and simping for him.
Jan 28, 2021 10:27 PM

Feb 2018
Because it's averagely directed and poorly drawn gay drama.
Nothing so much bad, but nothing good either.

6.74 is even too high imo
Jan 29, 2021 1:05 AM

Sep 2013
Because it is compared to Haikyu which is one of the best in the business while being more down to earth with plain characters

Personally its one of my favourites this season.
Deep dark fantasies
Jan 29, 2021 9:03 AM

May 2019
pranaw01 said:

lmao they have nothing in common other than volleyball. Haikyuu is a comedy-action shounen, this is a SoL-drama josei. Haikyuu's plot revolves around volleyball, but here they just use volleyball as a tool for character development. So if you come here just for volleyball and only volleyball it's natural to be disappointed.

Only_Brad said:
mrsbokuto said:

Is this a serious question? People hate it when a MC acts gay, blushing all over the other guy and simping for him.

Dude doesn't blush because he's gay and have feelings for Chika. He blushes at everything, when he's happy or embarrassed, which is overdone yes, but that doesn't mean there's a hidden meaning. He blushed a lot while playing volleyball as well, does he have romantic feelings for volleyball as well, on top of both his cousins and his upperclassmen? He a total player then lol.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Jan 29, 2021 4:37 PM

Mar 2019
Because Haikyuu stans can't fathom a volleyball anime getting a good score that isn't Haikyuu.
Check the top review, it's by a Haikyuu stan.
Jan 29, 2021 6:33 PM
Community Mod
Aug 2019
Thread Locked for not encouraging meaningful discussion per Anime Discussion Rule 2.

Please refrain from creating threads that aim to have some sort of score discussion. Most of the time threads of this nature just devolve into a multitude of rule violations(trolling and abuse).

In accordance with the board specific rules please remember to follow the Site Guidelines as well to further prevent violations.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » 2.43: Seiin Koukou Danshi Volley-bu Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2021

64 by fiveguysshake »»
Apr 16, 12:15 PM

Poll: » 2.43: Seiin Koukou Danshi Volley-bu Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2021

43 by fiveguysshake »»
Apr 16, 8:42 AM

Poll: » 2.43: Seiin Koukou Danshi Volley-bu Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 25, 2021

35 by fiveguysshake »»
Apr 16, 8:24 AM

Poll: » 2.43: Seiin Koukou Danshi Volley-bu Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 4, 2021

53 by fiveguysshake »»
Apr 13, 10:37 AM

Poll: » 2.43: Seiin Koukou Danshi Volley-bu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KANLen09 - Jan 7, 2021

155 by fiveguysshake »»
Apr 13, 7:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.