Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 31, 2020 7:49 AM

Oct 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
One of my most anticipated anime of this year and we are off to a great start.

First of all I love the parents XD, they are really lively. The dad's cool and ofc the mom's really pretty. Maid seems like quite an amusing character too and ofc our reincarnated shut in pervert mc is quite likeable too.

Visuals were beautiful and I like the story too. Let's see how things go from here on.
Dec 31, 2020 8:44 AM

Jan 2009
ok so this Rudy guy got reincarnated in some fantasy planet eh (isekai) but he has all his past memories and maturity in tact heck he is even a pervert while being a kid lol

but he seems to be reincarnated as a genius that can able to do magic without chants

lets see how a past pervert hikikomori can become great in this new life of his then
Dec 31, 2020 1:04 PM

Mar 2020
A lot of information about the magic system starts although the protagonist can ignore much but it still counts as the teaching for him. Rudy's mother's proud face was funny.
"I don't want to achieve anything, I just think that the person who has the greatest freedom in the ocean is the king of pirates." - Monkey D. Luffy.
"There is no one better than me when it comes to ending the expectations of others." - Natsuki Subaru
Dec 31, 2020 1:17 PM

Sep 2017
Nice first episode, reminds me a lot of The beginning after the end
Dec 31, 2020 1:20 PM
Jul 2019
Roxy kawaii šŸ˜³, can't wait for 2 more heroines to appear in the show
Dec 31, 2020 3:55 PM

May 2020
First episode is OK, one thing that annoyed me was thought processes of the MC, like making comments about boobs or comparing the teacher to the tropes present in anime.

It made me cringe a little, I know this is present a lot of isekai stories, butfind it kinda weird when he does it as a child.

Roxy is kinda cute, I guess.
Dec 31, 2020 5:01 PM

May 2019
I loved this debut, i guess it was ALL the fans of the series, novels or manga, would expect with optimism.

Good animation and art, few CGI, not rushed, not censored, nice seyuu work. How could it be better?

Studio Bind was a surprise.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
anime-primeJan 2, 2021 12:11 PM
Dec 31, 2020 6:33 PM
Jul 2011
These two episodes were so well done! Nicely paced even with all the exposition. Superimposing it with Rudy's home life really kept my eyes busy. All that information is definitely something to keep in mind.
The episodes adapt half of both the light novel's and manga's first volumes. I don't see the rest of these introductory episodes being rushed at all. It seems like this will be a very fulfilling adaptation, thank you Studio Bind!

Edit:
chikuchiDec 31, 2020 6:55 PM
Dec 31, 2020 9:28 PM

Jul 2017
Happy new year to everyone! And starting out with the OG Isekai that started the Isekai craze, what a way to start 2021 alright (and with a split-cour).

If y'all don't know yet, Studio Bind is a collab effort between Egg Firm and White Fox, so at least even for the VERY FIRST production, it has a lot going for it.

An ACTUAL reincarnation, and Rudeus is one, albeit with a pervertic mindset (his monologue version voiced by none other than Tomokazu Sugita, or at least his voice sounds familiar). At the very least, starting off right with a MC that has his previous memories intact and adapting to the new world with magic, that's some genius level shit.

And at least the storytelling has a nice pacing to it that doesn't feel all that convoluted.

OOH Roxy, what a cutie, awaiting more heroines to come, that's for sure.

What a superb start to the Grandfather of Isekai.
KANLen09Dec 31, 2020 10:30 PM
Dec 31, 2020 9:33 PM

Jan 2020
I can't believe Gintoki is gonna be monologuing dialogue in rudy's head !!!!

Instant favorite
Dec 31, 2020 9:55 PM

Dec 2015
Perfect. There're no other words to describe these 2 episodes.

As a source material reader, I'm usually on nitpick mode when I watch the adaptaion, trying to find every problem with the anime, but not here. The studio took everything I pictured in my head when I read the novel, and turned it into an anime, no more, no less.

I doubt it'll remain perfect moving ahead, but I won't hesitate to give this a 10/10 if they can retain 80% of the quality.
XXXXXXXXXIIIDec 31, 2020 10:01 PM
Dec 31, 2020 10:35 PM

Apr 2020
Truck-kun is hitting someone again!

I like Rudy's parents, especially his mother, and Lilia is so cute.

It seemed that Rudy immediately understood how magic worked, and he could use magic without incantation, maybe he would become strong
Jan 1, 2021 4:29 PM
Jul 2011
Shirase-san said:
Truck-kun is hitting someone again!

I like Rudy's parents, especially his mother, and Lilia is so cute.

It seemed that Rudy immediately understood how magic worked, and he could use magic without incantation, maybe he would become strong

It's truck-kun's origin story! lol

Being from a world where information and new ideas are readily available in one's hands is a cheat in itself. Adaptability is a huge strength for people in our time.
Jan 1, 2021 5:45 PM
Oct 2014
Damuzen said:
same. I couldn't help but compare the two.

The parents are way better in tbate. The mother in this show seems like a magic digger (magic version of a gold digger) where as in tbate she cared about the mc's wellbeing and not whether he's good at magic. That was the father's job. In general, in tbate, the mc had a closer, more genuine relationship with his parents than in this show.

Another thing, the voice of Rudy is so annoying. both his actual voice and the one in his head. The fact that they're different is already annoying. The decide to use a deep voice fitting for a 34 year old for when he's thinking and he's speaks it's competely different. It's jarring. They should just stick to one voice like in the slime isekai. But the more annoying thing is the way he talks. He uses Keigo(polite speech) when talking but doesn't use it in his head. It makes him seems hella FAKE. That combined with him using his corny pickup lines on Roxy just makes me want to throw up. It may not be corny to her, but to the viewers it's very cringey. Also the fact the he's a blatant pervert and Roxy not addressing it is weird. Doesn't he at least once think that taking advantage to of being a 34 year old in a 5 year old body to looking up someone's skirt is something a trashy neet would do? I thought he said he wanted to change. Also with him being a 38 year old, it doesn't show how his thought process as to why he's able to act so childish as if he was one. For example, letting his mother wash him while he's naked or hiding behind his mother because he's scared of a horse.

The magic system in tbate is way less generic and is more detailed. The world building is on another level. Take Xyrus academy vs Ranoa for example. The pacing is better in tbate. In these two episodes, it fast forwards a few months every few minutes with almost no development. it keeps on skipping for the sake of skipping until Rudy is 5 years old. We don't really know how powerful Rudy is or his parents or Roxy even.
q1w2e3r4t5Jan 1, 2021 8:58 PM
Jan 1, 2021 11:01 PM
May 2016
q1w2e3r4t5 said:
Damuzen said:

The parents are way better in tbate. The mother in this show seems like a magic digger (magic version of a gold digger) where as in tbate she cared about the mc's wellbeing and not whether he's good at magic. That was the father's job. In general, in tbate, the mc had a closer, more genuine relationship with his parents than in this show.

Another thing, the voice of Rudy is so annoying. both his actual voice and the one in his head. The fact that they're different is already annoying. The decide to use a deep voice fitting for a 34 year old for when he's thinking and he's speaks it's competely different. It's jarring. They should just stick to one voice like in the slime isekai. But the more annoying thing is the way he talks. He uses Keigo(polite speech) when talking but doesn't use it in his head. It makes him seems hella FAKE. That combined with him using his corny pickup lines on Roxy just makes me want to throw up. It may not be corny to her, but to the viewers it's very cringey. Also the fact the he's a blatant pervert and Roxy not addressing it is weird. Doesn't he at least once think that taking advantage to of being a 34 year old in a 5 year old body to looking up someone's skirt is something a trashy neet would do? I thought he said he wanted to change. Also with him being a 38 year old, it doesn't show how his thought process as to why he's able to act so childish as if he was one. For example, letting his mother wash him while he's naked or hiding behind his mother because he's scared of a horse.

The magic system in tbate is way less generic and is more detailed. The world building is on another level. Take Xyrus academy vs Ranoa for example. The pacing is better in tbate. In these two episodes, it fast forwards a few months every few minutes with almost no development. it keeps on skipping for the sake of skipping until Rudy is 5 years old. We don't really know how powerful Rudy is or his parents or Roxy even.

The story with his parent still have a long way journey

Even after reach 15 years old.
There still touching and developing story with the parents
Jan 2, 2021 12:04 AM
Oct 2014
Damuzen said:

hell no.
Jan 2, 2021 4:17 AM
Nov 2020
It is nice isekai ,Rudy 34 ver. voice is like sakata gintoki voice . Rudy make me creeped sometime because of his pervert behaviour and what is more creepy his child body while doing it
Jan 2, 2021 4:42 AM
May 2016
q1w2e3r4t5 said:
Damuzen said:

hell no.

Hell yes

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
anime-primeJan 2, 2021 12:09 PM
Jan 2, 2021 5:48 AM
Mar 2018
q1w2e3r4t5 said:
Damuzen said:

I've read both WNs of Mushoku Tensei and The Beginning After The End so :
1- The author of TBATE stated that he took inspiration from Mushoku Tensei, so it's TBATE that is copying Mushoku Tensei in the beginning and not the opposite.
2- The mother being a "magic digger" ? If you see that your child is a genius I think the normal reaction would be to support him to the best of your abilities no ? The mother in TBATE has a deep rooted trauma with magic that's why she was hesitant with her son.
3- I personally think that having 2 VAs was a great thing to do, it is a constant reminder that the MC may look like a child but he is nonetheless 34+ years old.
4- MC is supposed to be human trash, he vowed to change and become a better person but it isn't easy to change one's nature, if it was easy he wouldn't have been like that in the first place.
5- In TBATE magic is everything while in MT it is just a type of strengh, without going into spoiler territory, there are many other fighting styles in MT leading to an overall good power balance.
6- TBATE having a better world building ? This is so wrong I don't even feel like arguing anymore ..
Jan 2, 2021 6:56 AM
Sep 2019
Well , I must say that as a first episode it's not bad at all , actually it's good
Jan 2, 2021 8:06 AM
Jun 2020
amazing the first chapter, I liked it. Parents if they have a great time hahaha, good animation and good ost, Sugita-sama has the voice of the protagonist, for now the first chapter is very good.
Jan 2, 2021 10:39 AM
Jan 2019
I have a question.
When the anime actually starts airing will it continue from episode 3 or will it restart from episode 1?
Jan 2, 2021 10:55 AM
Mar 2018
xx_ibrahimd_xx said:
I have a question.
When the anime actually starts airing will it continue from episode 3 or will it restart from episode 1?

It will restart from episode 1.
Jan 2, 2021 12:28 PM
Oct 2014
darkoleptique said:

1- The author of TBATE stated that he took inspiration from Mushoku Tensei, so it's TBATE that is copying Mushoku Tensei in the beginning and not the opposite.
2- The mother being a "magic digger" ? If you see that your child is a genius I think the normal reaction would be to support him to the best of your abilities no ? The mother in TBATE has a deep rooted trauma with magic that's why she was hesitant with her son.
3- I personally think that having 2 VAs was a great thing to do, it is a constant reminder that the MC may look like a child but he is nonetheless 34+ years old.
4- MC is supposed to be human trash, he vowed to change and become a better person but it isn't easy to change one's nature, if it was easy he wouldn't have been like that in the first place.
5- In TBATE magic is everything while in MT it is just a type of strengh, without going into spoiler territory, there are many other fighting styles in MT leading to an overall good power balance.
6- TBATE having a better world building ? This is so wrong I don't even feel like arguing anymore ..
1- I know. TurtleMe took those ideas and improved upon them.
2-4 you have a point but I still stand by my opinion.
5- TBATE magic is mainly elemental, like with the last airbender, which I prefer. With MT magic, pretty much anything goes. Less is more imo.
6. I’ve read up to the current chapter of the MT manga and I can say the school arc is very mid. Nothing noteworthy happens. It’s boring to be frank. Whereas TBATE introduces the annoying professors, the discipline committee, and rascism/terrorism/ magic-ism? among students and reintroduces Director Cynthia Goodsky and Tess and the Lucas Wykes. This is more plot than it is world building but whatever
q1w2e3r4t5Jan 2, 2021 12:32 PM
Jan 2, 2021 12:35 PM
Mar 2018
q1w2e3r4t5 said:
darkoleptique said:

1- I know. TurtleMe took those ideas and improved upon them.
2-4 you have a point but I still stand by my opinion.
5- TBATE magic is mainly elemental, like with the last airbender, which I prefer. With MT magic, pretty much anything goes. Less is more imo.
6. I’ve read up to the current chapter of the MT manga and I can say the school arc is very mid. Nothing noteworthy happens. It’s boring to be frank. Whereas TBATE introduces the annoying professors, the discipline committee, and rascism/terrorism/ magic-ism? among students and reintroduces Director Cynthia Goodsky and Tess and the Lucas Wykes. This is more plot than it is world building but whatever

The manga for MT is unfortunately really bad, there's nothing I can say about that. Coupled with the fact that the school arc has a slow start I get what you want to say but yeah, to each their own I guess.
Jan 2, 2021 1:58 PM

Sep 2019
This was great. The visuals and animation were beautiful. They gave another perverted role to Sugita and it fits perfectly, I love his voice. I really liked the comedy as well, I hope it keeps up the quality.
Jan 2, 2021 3:29 PM

Sep 2019
Not bad first episode ,I had already read the light novel and i must say they adapted it quite well for the first episode ,also the graphic were amazing

"äæŗćÆęµ·č³ŠēŽ‹ć«ćŖ悋ē”·ć ļ¼ļ¼ļ¼"
Jan 2, 2021 7:01 PM
Jan 2019
darkoleptique said:
xx_ibrahimd_xx said:
I have a question.

It will restart from episode 1.
Awww man! I'm just gonna wait, I don't want to wait a month for the third episode.
Jan 2, 2021 11:18 PM
Jul 2018
I felt that isekai beginning too forced in a way but i started to enjoy it when magic came in. This might be interesting.
Jan 4, 2021 10:13 AM
Jul 2018
the first episode was very good, i hope Rudeus gets very strong

Mod Edit: Removed unrelated picture. Please use your signature.
Koito91Jan 18, 2021 12:39 PM
Jan 4, 2021 11:09 AM

Sep 2016
q1w2e3r4t5 said:
Also with him being a 38 year old, it doesn't show how his thought process as to why he's able to act so childish as if he was one

Quite easy. It's literally explained basically at the start, when he says that he doesn't feel attracted to his own mother, even after drinking milk from her, even though in his mind he thinks she's attractive.
The childishness and instincts come from his biological body being a kid.
Apparently this anime goes after the theory (with which I agree) that the body makes the mind and not vice versa (agreeing with the opposite would mean saying that if someone is mature for their age, you can relate to them like you would with an adult, that would be the real creepy thing, not this).
bruh
Jan 5, 2021 5:02 PM

Aug 2020
this pretty good holy shit. Story-wise and animation. The sensei was kinda cute ngl. Kinda messed up that when you're a kid you can get away with being innocent lol. Definitely a contender for best new anime of the season.

Is this how it will look like or will they improve it more? I'm just waiting for the HD release but rn it looks really reallly good.
Jan 6, 2021 2:50 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
well damn, this was alot lewder than i expected<333
Jan 7, 2021 2:39 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
This was quite a treat.
A year ago, after many years of hearing about the series, and hyping it the fuck up, I was finally digging in the LN, and I really loved it from the start, the world-building was really something, a quality that keeps throughout the whole series.

Now, this is indeed an adaptation you need to watch to believe, so much care put into it, very fluid and detailed, I m particularly liked how Rudeous envisions chant magic, hope they do it more times when he is about to do something dramatic!

They built a whole studio for this adaptation, and those trailers... fans of course had some kind of expectations from that, but I was completely blown away, loved it!
And from the trailers, I m very excitedly, to also see what kind of background they will show us, and of course that music... very eager to hear more about it.

Seems like we will have a dual cour, so they should adopt until vol3 with 12-13 episodes, and hopefully, more 12-13 to end in vol6 climax, hopefully starting summer time.

I m quite greedy, so I wanted S1 and S2 to have one season of 24 episodes, but if it is needed to keep the glimpses of top production shown here, I m SOLD.
Please adapt the LN, this is one of the few that really deserves that much love!
I don't do weekly airings, very rarely, and MT seems to be another one~~

z00nex said:
This was great. The visuals and animation were beautiful. They gave another perverted role to Sugita and it fits perfectly, I love his voice. I really liked the comedy as well, I hope it keeps up the quality.

Ok, who is this Sugita?
Rudeous VA only shows one person, so I m right in assuming it is showing its child VA, whereas Sugita IS the adult version in his mind?

Also, the decision to keep his older version narrating many of his thoughts was done brilliantly and I hope they keep it up for the whole run, as long as they don't stop the scene, to narrate it, great job so far.
Jan 7, 2021 2:50 AM

Sep 2019
Playcool said:

z00nex said:

Ok, who is this Sugita?
Rudeous VA only shows one person, so I m right in assuming it is showing its child VA, whereas Sugita IS the adult version in his mind?
Yes, Sugita’s voicing the main character’s adult version and his inside voice.
Jan 7, 2021 1:23 PM
Sep 2020
Rose_Player said:
2 episodes are already out ???!!! I thought it would start airing the January 11th ?
There was a pre-air of the first 2 episodes
Jan 7, 2021 8:43 PM

Apr 2013
Toddler Rudy is surprisingly cute, the way he act in the first few minutes as a kid does gave him a believable trait as his physical body.
Jan 8, 2021 6:58 PM

Apr 2013
Yohanlie said:

Hell yes

Jan 9, 2021 12:31 PM

Aug 2017
Idk about you guys but I felt like the first episode almost had movie level visuals, the budget seems to be pretty high with this one, it looked super pretty.
"Hololive was a mistake" -HaYagoo Miyazaki

Jan 9, 2021 11:04 PM

Nov 2011
I remember reading the novel a long time ago and Rudy is pretty much how I had expected him to be like in the anime. First episode is kinda entertaining but not a big fan of his personality.

Roxy stands out more as one of the other characters, hope to see more of her for the season. As far as the animation looks, I really hope the studio can keep up the budget.
Jan 10, 2021 2:41 AM
May 2016
Angry_onion said:
Yohanlie said:

Hell yes

I cry 5 times in different arc about this novel
Jan 10, 2021 8:01 AM

May 2019
The 1st episode is officially aired.

5th place in Twitter trending in Japan.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Hiyoko_ErisLove/status/1348291449880596483
Jan 10, 2021 8:08 AM
Jul 2018
IT'S FINALLY HERE! I SIGNED UP ON MAL TO RATE MT

Mushoku Tensei is what got me into Light Novels. This was a good first episode. I pray the studio doesn't mess up one of my all time favorite LNs.
Jan 10, 2021 8:23 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
It feels very refreshing compared to all these cliché low-budget isekai, I loved this first episode, everything about it is good so far
Jan 10, 2021 8:30 AM

Jun 2012

This is peak anime, right here.
Jan 10, 2021 8:37 AM

Jul 2017
Great first episode, adapted and got very well pacing already, the animation is smooth and the artstyle is crystal clear. Keep it up!
Thanks for the cute Roxy btw
Jan 10, 2021 8:45 AM
Jul 2018
Reminder that the MC is the lowest of the lowest perverted trashbag who was playing video games in his room while his parents' funeral was going on.

This is a beautiful story of self-redemption. Got chills at the end when he said, "Maybe even a jobless reclusive bum like me can get a do-over at life and get serious about living".
Jan 10, 2021 8:46 AM

Jan 2014
This is better than the 8th son thing already, and I love it. It was a bit weird seeing a child being pervy like that, but it's still got an interesting story, good characters, cannot wait for more. Sunday looking strong.
Jan 10, 2021 8:47 AM
Feb 2018
Please, just don't be yet another The 8th son and Slime-laundry... please-please!!!
Jan 10, 2021 8:50 AM
Sep 2015
I'm usually lean toward shotacon, but you know what, the penis scene is not my most favorite scene in this episode.

My most favorite scene is every scene that the dad appear, that dad is seriously hot, a big DILF, I wish he's a virgin instead of our protatonist, but if he's a virgin then the protagonist can't be born. Everytime he has sex with his wife I hurt so much. It should be me, on the bed with him, not her.

Now back to the main topic, I'm actually surprised that our protagonist didn't know immediately that he's in isekai setting considering that he read thousands of light novels.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Is Season 2, Part 1 as good as Season 1?

GoatPieceLuffy - Apr 24

23 by R0r5ch4ch »»
Yesterday, 2:03 PM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2021

467 by Hayley2877 »»
Yesterday, 1:32 PM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2021

229 by Hayley2877 »»
Yesterday, 1:01 PM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2021

336 by Hayley2877 »»
Yesterday, 12:40 PM

Poll: » Mushoku Tensei: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 28, 2021

439 by Hayley2877 »»
Yesterday, 12:19 PM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.