Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Dec 13, 2020 1:20 PM

Feb 2017
Great episode. Lots of nice character moments that remind me why this is my favorite arc in the series. I love Reiner's character so much. Was very surprised to see an attempt of character acting animation, something the show hasn't had so far. That was refreshing. Rotoscoping looked... uncanny to say the least tho.

Can't wait for the next week. Btw who do you think was that on Braun's house? When I paused, it looked like Connie.
Dec 13, 2020 1:22 PM
Feb 2019
I_Am_Freeballing said:
Bufftsuki said:

"there was one moron dumb enough to forget why he came to the bathroom.."
what does reiner referents in that scene ?
The one and only Connie.

oh ok thanks, I don't recall that scene.

here's the one with the half potato: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PURiKIYAnMc
Dec 13, 2020 1:23 PM

Mar 2014
I feel like this could've been really fast paced to anime onlies tbh, what with all the new info thrown around. I really liked the direction, the art and how consistent it was adaptation wise. Next ep shall be a Reiner flashback from the preview, and I think they have rearranged some scenes from the manga from the look of things.
Dec 13, 2020 1:23 PM

Feb 2019
Idc what anyone says, the OP fucking bangs.

The animation style in this ep takes some getting used to, but I actually really like it. I think the fluidity is cool.

Finally got to see and hear my baby Pieck so it was a 10/10 episode. Can’t wait for the festival episode to be animated

Best girl btw: https://imgur.com/a/a7SFhBc
Marinate1016Dec 13, 2020 1:40 PM
Dec 13, 2020 1:24 PM

Sep 2020
keragamming said:

Visually breathtaking.

TheCloverfield said:
Pretty great episode today! Personally prefer it over the first one. I've had no issue with the pacing, and even if I would have preferred having no cuts at all, what they cut was in no way indispensable to the arc. The arrangement, from an anime storytelling point of view also makes more sense to me. Moving from flashback to present to flashback again would have been quite weird. (Rip pieck ass but heh)

On the technical side of things, this is most likely the most well animated dialogue episode of the franchise, which surprised me a lot.
The episode has a very surprising amount of character acting and quite ambitious camera work for the most basic of things. Zeke, smoking a a cigarette and Colt walking up the stairs with the camera following their steps, the camera tracking Reiner's head as he wakes up, Zeke giving fucking coffee, Udo getting on edge and expressing his anger through his body language and Gabi doing the same but for her excitement. There's more but I'm too lazy to mention those so I made a little streamable video with some bits of movement from the episode I liked:

VIDEO:

You barely see these in AOT, especially in a pure dialogue episode which impressed me.

Outside of movement, the art itself was also very good, especially in the first half. very strong AD work. I particularely love the lines on the clothing on those Marley uniform, and under the eyes. Reiner also looks the best he has ever looked. The shading, lighting work and expressions were also on point

Props to Reiner's shots which look quite fantastic and very accurate to the emotions Isayama drawin in the manga. Never seen Reiner look this good. That Porco shot is also amazing

The direction was very nice and I wish episode 1 was as well directed as this one. Daisuke Tokudo did a tremendous work and the episode has a LOT of atmosphere. That mini subplot of the Eldian killing himself overnight and his family and neighbours morning his death the next day, all taking place in the background was a super nice touch which added more tension and reminded us that the Liberio ghetto was far from a cozy place. The color work was also pretty nice and I enjoyed it for the most part.

I also really loved the background art of this episode, the props, walls, houses ect were very well drawn and on part with what I expected from Kusanagi. Very good stuff. Another visual aspect that surprised me is the photography. I've seen dozens of complaints about it for last episode when I thought it was honestly innofensive. But in this episode, I found it honestly very good. Probably Asakawa's best work. With this episode's good direction, she succefully gave each scene a different atmosphere and it's very easy to distinct all the different moods of the episode by simply looking at how it looks. The photography helped making the drawings look very crisp and I really hope people watch this episode in high quality because this is how it deserves to be watched. I hope I wont be seeing terrible "no blur" edits that just slap a baffling over-done sharpen filter and saturation.

So yeah, very satisfied with this episode. This and Bystander are probably my two favorite pure dialogue episodes, this one taking the cake visually-wise. Congrats to the team for pulling it off. I hope to see more of those and potentially even better for the future. I can't wait for the big action episodes!

^Pretty much all my thoughts. 10/10 episode.
Dec 13, 2020 1:25 PM

Jul 2011
lmao i dont care about the people talking avout cgi or stiffness or MAPPA bad MAPPA evil MAPPA must die in the comment section.

What i care about is..... DID YMIR REALLY DIED OFFSCREEN?!!!!!! SOMEBODY PLEASE ANSWER ME, I'm in shock, i feel bertrayed, just like when reiner confess he is the armored titan and they did it in the background! WTF ISAYAMA?!!!!!

Overall the episode is really good and im happy MAPPA didnt cut Isayama's trademark jokes, like "tell me how many hair you have in your butt", or "my neighbour said the sea is salty because he piss on it" LMAOO WIT always cut these type of jokes idk why but now im happy~

This season felt darker to me (in a psychological sense) and i love it, well i love WIT's season with all my heart but MAPPA's direction really fit this season's tone i guess.

And if anyone wonder, why am i so positive, im an anime only person who only read the respective chapter of the manga after every season.
Dec 13, 2020 1:25 PM

Aug 2013
A good episode that followed from a great episode.

Reiner suffered a lot. I lost account of how many times he had a flashback. Yep, PTSD is a bitch.

Dec 13, 2020 1:26 PM

May 2017
holy shit this episode was amazing! One can only hope that mappa can somehow stay close to this level of quality. Amazing art and direction, stellar ost and voice acting. Can't wait for the next few episodes.
Dec 13, 2020 1:27 PM
Propmaker/Etsy

Jun 2014
Cant wait to see war hammer!
so far it's following the manga so I love it!
Dec 13, 2020 1:29 PM

Dec 2020
keragamming said:

Looking forward to more of your complaints about the animation and what they skip next week, and the next week..... and the next week until the series ends.

Just going to point out that you gave season 3 part 1 a 9/10 despite them skipping a lot of content in the uprising arc. Which what Mappa is doing isn't even comparable, just saying.

If an adaptation doesn't respect properly the original content is it so bad to point it out? Why that sarcasm? And who said i was going to give a low score to this season? If everything keeps going as those 2 episodes i'm still going to give it a 8/10 for how good the story is. I didn't give s3p1 a 10/10 exactly because of those cuts btw, and at the very least that season looked gorgeous to look at.
Dec 13, 2020 1:30 PM

Apr 2017
probably the most wholesome episode of the season. i found myself squealing when porco and pieck showed up but they've been favorites of mine since they showed up in the manga so to see them animated made me so happy.

the animation was honestly beautiful, even though there were some inevitable awkward moments but i don't mind. i kinda liked the mix of 2D and CGI they've been using - it feels very fresh and new which is something i think is important for this final season.

directing was much better than ep 1, but that doesn't say much since imo ep 1 was pretty good as well.

so pleased with how they did zeke's secret ass-wiping technique and "as expected of pieck, that's exactly right!" lmao, those were some of my favorite manga scenes and i hope they keep it up
Dec 13, 2020 1:31 PM
Feb 2016
A great world-building episode to say the least. Definitely sad to see Eldians on the mainland being treated so poorly and confined, and the fact that they think the main cast we've been following the entire time are the villains. Really puts into perspective that there are no good or bad villains in the show, just people trying to live really.

Also, I've seen people mention that Eren supposedly showed up for a few seconds, but idk where. Was he the guy with one leg or was it somewhere else? No spoilers plz, I'm an anime only

9/10
Oct 2017
While there are people praising the animation, I found it to be really bad...It was just not fluid at all, all character movements felt "laggy".

Maybe it's because I was playing a 60fps video-game before watching the episode lol.

May 2016
The animation was something that I haven't seen in a while a lot of fluid movements
some felt a bit unnatural but some were on point, really good try this probably costed
a lot.

story wise pace is decent as well, we saw Eren as well in 2 scenes in the port and
mixed up with the PTSD soldiers, can't wait to see Mikasa <3

Funny thing that Reiner talked about them like they were still his friends, how ironic and yet tragic the fate they shared, and Koowa mother he has >_<

keragamming said:

Visually breathtaking.
I felt like I was watching a world class tv show with best directing and layouts, truly magnificent..
Dec 13, 2020 1:32 PM

Apr 2020
If this pacing continues, there better be a chapter 122 cliff-hanger in episode 16.

I cant wait for the Tyber speech! It will be so awesome!!!
--AbiSa--
Dec 13, 2020 1:32 PM
Jun 2020
Yes, EREH is there and this is a very good episode.
Dec 13, 2020 1:39 PM

Oct 2017
Finally got to see pieck and porco animated! They look good.

This episode was also very good, The pacing is pretty good too. They cut some stuff out that were in the manga but they might add some of this stuff in later.
Dec 13, 2020 1:39 PM

Apr 2020
For pacing, so far so good imo. Sure a few small bits were removed but overall I'm happy with the adaptation.

Loved the drunk moment with Gabi and the Eldians on the train and Reiner describing his comrades from his days on the island.
Dec 13, 2020 1:40 PM
Oct 2016
The slowdown episode we needed after how crazy a premiere we got last week. Reiner is truly a tormented soul hes been through so much its changed him forever, but we'll get more of that next week. He's definitely my favorite character or at least top three. Reiner is very interesting in that he doesn't feel the same about the so called island Devils like the other Eldians since he's actually been there and seen them. The reaction he got from his own mother after saying there's all kinds of people there was profound. Gabi had a much different way of telling her own story, she's full of gusto talking about how she threw that bomb and saved many Eldians. Zeke wants to to back to the island and get the titans they lost but Porco doesn't feel the same. The generals don't fully trust the warriors either, having a hot mic in there listening. Wanting the Tybur family to come and swoop in for the save to announce their plan of taking back the island. We're getting to the juicy bits soon there's some sprinkles of it in this episode.
Dec 13, 2020 1:40 PM
Oct 2020
Why is nobody talking about how good the SFX were? Seriously, it was CINEMATIC!
Dec 13, 2020 1:41 PM

Apr 2014
Is it me or is this going much faster than expected? For some reason there might some details that felt missing or something. Or is it that I am just a little insane of what just happened? Anyways I thought the episode was good. But it just felt way too fast.
Dec 13, 2020 1:41 PM
Oct 2016
Morii_TM said:
Rotoscope animation looks like shit

Opposite actually
Dec 13, 2020 1:43 PM
Jul 2018
alphazero4um said:
Is it me or is this going much faster than expected? For some reason there might some details that felt missing or something. Or is it that I am just a little insane of what just happened? Anyways I thought the episode was good. But it just felt way too fast.

only a tiny bit is missing and its mostly just dialogue fluff that was cut to give characters a bit more personality which is needed in manga cause no voice acting but with anime they can make it work with all the extra stuff animation can give to the characters personality.
Dec 13, 2020 1:45 PM
Jul 2016
The characters gesture and camera movements are a little bit weird. Somehow it's make me feel a little dizzy. Hope it will be better in next episode
Dec 13, 2020 1:53 PM

Nov 2019
Wow the animation in this is so much better in this than wit. Loved the direction too.
The only thing Mappa did worse than Wit were the titans
Mar 2020
Swag_Akatsuki said:
A great world-building episode to say the least. Definitely sad to see Eldians on the mainland being treated so poorly and confined, and the fact that they think the main cast we've been following the entire time are the villains. Really puts into perspective that there are no good or bad villains in the show, just people trying to live really.

Also, I've seen people mention that Eren supposedly showed up for a few seconds, but idk where. Was he the guy with one leg or was it somewhere else? No spoilers plz, I'm an anime only

9/10

Nope, Eren was only mentioned by Reiner when he was describing his time on the island to his family.

Jul 2017
Pretty boring episode for me, pacing is fine adaptation wise and visuals look passable, just not really an interesting arc sadly for me particularly. Still dig the ED song.

Dec 2015
keragamming said:

Visually breathtaking.

Perfection. Mappa really nailed it!

I think this was the best dialogue episode on the entire series
Dec 13, 2020 1:56 PM

Jan 2016
No Pieck ass shot, 0/10 adaptation

Jokes aside, really good episode. Yes they skipped a few minor stuff (or not minor some can argue) but not even WIT were faithful enough to never miss out on a panel or 2
Dec 13, 2020 1:56 PM
Oct 2020
seeing Reiner's side of what happened in the previous seasons makes me want to go back and re-watch to see if there were any hints to suggest that he hated being there ( before we/everyone found out he was a titan)
Dec 13, 2020 1:59 PM

Dec 2014
Surpassingly less intense, and a very character and dialogue focused that is refreshing and very much needed for the change in the direction of the story. Lot of focus and background on the Eldians living in Marley, helps establish their position and stance on the world better.

Huge props for having fluid animation and body movements for a heavily dialogue focused episode. It made the whole thing so much better and far more compelling. There was always something happening on screen. The only part that seemed weird to me was that during the dinner scene Gabi's hands moved way too much for far too long but still very well done.

Lots of new characters, most of them seem likable.

Was it truly was a nightmare for Reiner to live with the corps on Paradis island? I wonder if he liked living there, in a world where ignorance was almost bliss.
Dec 13, 2020 1:59 PM

Dec 2018
And here we go, almost perfect dialogue episode from MAPPA, I am not that action guy I liked the most Grisha backstory from season 3 part 2 so I belive Mappa can handle plot episodes on the same level as WIT. Sadly action won't be that good episode " Hero" for example but anyway. Also I like this 3D camera movment even if somtime it looks wierd, anime seems more alive thanks to this.
ReegrezSNKDec 13, 2020 2:02 PM
Dec 13, 2020 2:00 PM
Apr 2018
I've started to kinda dislike Gabi. Also Falco and friends look much younger to me than in the first ep, idk... Galliard and Pieck seem interesting.

Reiner is fucked up. Can't wait for Eren and the group to show up again.
Dec 13, 2020 2:01 PM

Apr 2013
Sourire said:
Really well directed episode and I like how they cut chapter 94 into this week’s and next week’s episodes it makes sense for the flow of the story. Animation and art weren't bad at all in this episode. People complain about lack of movement during character interactions when WIT literally had this happen every season and often worse than this.

I re-read chapter 93-94 and the cuts made sense tbh. There was way too much dialogue for a 1:1 adaptation of these 2 chapters.

Rewatched with subs, great episode. The direction was really good. I felt that the pace was near flawless even though they had to do obvious cuts to the dialogue from the manga. I dont mind the cuts in comedy either, doesnt fit the theme. Reiner mini-arc feelsgoodman.

Oh and the full ending is definitely one of the best in all of aot.
Dec 13, 2020 2:02 PM

Oct 2013
applepi105 said:
seeing Reiner's side of what happened in the previous seasons makes me want to go back and re-watch to see if there were any hints to suggest that he hated being there ( before we/everyone found out he was a titan)

He was being sarcastic btw, I'm actually kinda shock everyone is taking what he said seriously, I thought the fact that he brought up Sasha with the potato thing would be obvious enough.

Gabi also hinted that she thinks Reiner was lying when he was telling them.

Dec 13, 2020 2:03 PM
Sep 2020
C’mon that Reiner flashback had me in a corner that was sad. The episodes are just building up I can’t wait.
Dec 13, 2020 2:04 PM
Sep 2020
Good episode. The animation isn't always the best but it wasn't as bad as some people here claim. It was nice to see Hobo Eren.

I wonder when MAPPA will announce that there will be a part 2 (or a movie).
Dec 13, 2020 2:07 PM

Aug 2020
good episode in terms of story,visually detailed faces are good but the blur is utter garbage (with the 4 young soliders all you see is blur,you cannot even see the sea clearly)

and the 10 fps movments are garbage,no i don't care if its "cinematic"
Dec 13, 2020 2:09 PM
Aug 2020
Jesus christ, the character movements look so fucking bad. It's hard to believe that this is from the same studio that made Dorohedoro and Jujutsu Kaisen. This season was going to suck regardless, but could they at least put some effort into making the animation look decent? It's as if MAPPA just didn't care.
Dec 13, 2020 2:13 PM

Mar 2010
Not much happened that I really cared about, but at least their is some tension about what is to come.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
May 2019
Superb episode.
the animation was so fluid and really good
even i already know what gonna happen. but it feels like watching it for the first time.

maybe for anime only didn't know the "mc" was here. nice foreshadowing.
and unfortunately they didn't include survey corps potrait when reiner told his story.(maybe for some reason)

Oct 2013
MoonDragon72 said:
Jesus christ, the character movements look so fucking bad. It's hard to believe that this is from the same studio that made Dorohedoro and Jujutsu Kaisen. This season was going to suck regardless, but could they at least put some effort into making the animation look decent? It's as if MAPPA just didn't care.

Well shouldn't you be happy? Don't complain about something you already don't like its odd/borderline contradictory. Also base off your ratings all seasons sucks, you just don't make no fucking sense.
Sep 2020
Pretty cool episode we saw someone very important, only one of those kids is really nice, that girl is annoying as hell i hope she gets eaten by a titan
rudialexandruAug 13, 2021 4:39 AM
Dec 13, 2020 2:14 PM

Aug 2018
Well, for now things are more or less quiet
Dec 13, 2020 2:16 PM

Jul 2019
very nice ep good job mappa

Dec 13, 2020 2:17 PM

Jan 2020
5/5 episode. I loved the dialogue heavy style and it was always engaging throughout. The episode felt like 5 minutes.

I'm also a big fan of how Reiner feels like a mentor type character and how the younger cast look up to him.

I also love the new visuals for the ending.

Dec 13, 2020 2:20 PM
Aug 2020
keragamming said:
MoonDragon72 said:

Well shouldn't you be happy? Don't complain about something you already don't like its odd/borderline contradictory.

Two things:
1. I did like AOT until last year (I plan on reviewing the series at some point to explain why)
2. I am kinda interested in seeing where this series goes after the basement reveals, even though it will most likely suck. Plus, last week's episode was laughably bad thanks to the awful CGI, so I'll probably get some enjoyment out of that.
Dec 13, 2020 2:20 PM

Sep 2012
The tone is nailed, love it.
Dec 13, 2020 2:23 PM

Oct 2013
MoonDragon72 said:
keragamming said:

Well shouldn't you be happy? Don't complain about something you already don't like its odd/borderline contradictory.

Two things:
1. I did like AOT until last year (I plan on reviewing the series at some point to explain why)
2. I am kinda interested in seeing where this series goes after the basement reveals, even though it will most likely suck. Plus, last week's episode was laughably bad thanks to the awful CGI, so I'll probably get some enjoyment out of that.

When you said that this season will be bad regardless I assume you were a manga reader, so basically the series didn't have a chance before the first episode even had aired, you already told your self that you wont like this season.

Dec 13, 2020 2:25 PM

May 2019
Reiner: “That island is full of devils.”
Gabi: “Why?”
Reiner: “Girl stole potato”
Reiner:”...”
Reiner:”AND SHE ATE IT”

Truly horrendous indeed.

But man, I hadn’t realised that Reiner was this traumatised. I feel nothing but sorry for him.

Did I see Eren for a second there or was he just a normal long haired person? I haven’t read the manga so idk.

People say that this episode didn’t have good animation but I think it was decent enough. Character art is very detailed here, so it’d be really hard and time consuming to make animations more fluid and it would be a waste of both time and resources.

MoonDragon72 said:
Plus, last week's episode was laughably bad thanks to the awful CGI, so I'll probably get some enjoyment out of that.

Wdym awful CGI? I though last week’s CGI was very sexy, much better than the previous seasons.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Pages (13) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » If Eren was in avatar...

TASM18 - Apr 17

18 by belugaanime »»
Apr 19, 2:12 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 7, 2021

513 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Apr 13, 8:01 AM

» Isayama: The Perfect Architect ( 1 2 )

Mikasa - Mar 29, 2021

65 by benisfroms »»
Apr 10, 8:21 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Jan 10, 2021

986 by Jasmin061011 »»
Apr 2, 8:12 AM

» Falco and Gabi…

Arddaa52 - Jul 25, 2021

20 by Adrena »»
Mar 27, 6:50 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.