Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Oct 17, 2020 7:52 AM

Sep 2015
alberto662 said:

yes and fuck them kids, fuck that kid drowning i came to this beach to read my book in peace,kid being bullied? fuck him, i came to the school to learn not to help people to not getting beaten down. Person getting kiddnapped in a college party, fuck off i came here to drink not to be a hero and save people

Please use more appropriate language! At the end of the day, this is anime is for adults, that is fiction, and harmed no one in any way. I do like how Elaina was portrayed in this episode, and again, I saw nothing wrong with her actions. Granted, I was a bit shocked after finishing the episode, but, I did enjoy it! It was like a breath of fresh air. Things in life are beyond your control, and even if you had the power to do something, you still need to think of the consequences of your actions after you help! The message in the episode was that you have no control over what happens in life.

I am not a moderator, but please be respectful in threads! This is a conversation, not an argument!
Oct 17, 2020 7:56 AM
Oct 2018
DarkYuzuko said:
alberto662 said:

yes and fuck them kids, fuck that kid drowning i came to this beach to read my book in peace,kid being bullied? fuck him, i came to the school to learn not to help people to not getting beaten down. Person getting kiddnapped in a college party, fuck off i came here to drink not to be a hero and save people

Please use more appropriate language! At the end of the day, this is anime is for adults, that is fiction, and harmed no one in any way. I do like how Elaina was portrayed in this episode, and again, I saw nothing wrong with her actions. Granted, I was a bit shocked after finishing the episode, but, I did enjoy it! It was like a breath of fresh air. Things in life are beyond your control, and even if you had the power to do something, you still need to think of the consequences of your actions after you help! The message in the episode was that you have no control over what happens in life.

I am not a moderator, but please be respectful in threads! This is a conversation, not an argument!

i wanst being disrespectful? im just saying that "expecting a hero" is saving an underage sex slave.... you can still do that and being a traveler, also she had all the power to do that, she can use all kind of magic and can fly very quickly, and the country it is just a village
Oct 17, 2020 7:58 AM

Feb 2011
bruh i literally just watched people being used as food in a field of flowers in something else a few days ago
Oct 17, 2020 8:03 AM
Apr 2018
It's pretty simple guys. She doesn't need to be a hero, okay? But at least showing empathy and compassion, that she feels terrible that she couldn't do anything, 'cause she's human after all, that wouldn't kill her. (unless they are really sticking to her character, a narcissistic sociopath.)

We didn't get any of that from her. She's just so nonchalant, like "yeah, don't care. shit happens. imma travel" wtf girl? What a terrible written character.
LemonadeYou-kyanOct 17, 2020 8:24 AM
Oct 17, 2020 8:06 AM

Sep 2015
alberto662 said:

i wanst being disrespectful? im just saying that "expecting a hero" is saving an underage sex slave.... you can still do that and being a traveler, also she had all the power to do that, she can use all kind of magic and can fly very quickly, and the country it is just a village

Okay and? She's not you! It's like saying rich people should help the poor because they're rich! You can't control what people do with their power and wealth.

Although cruel, I like how this anime took a twist. I would definitely prefer a story like this over a generic anime with a predictable plot. I've been watching anime for so long, and I'm tired of seeing the same thing. Am I cruel? I don't know, but this is fiction at the end of the day, and I enjoyed it! If you're more interested in a slice of life anime where no one harms another, there's plenty of those this season! I don't mind PMing you a few recommendations if you're interested. (≧▽≦) I can go through your list and chose something that might work out for you!
Oct 17, 2020 8:16 AM
Oct 2018
DarkYuzuko said:
alberto662 said:

Okay and? She's not you! It's like saying rich people should help the poor because they're rich! You can't control what people do with their power and wealth.

Although cruel, I like how this anime took a twist. I would definitely prefer a story like this over a generic anime with a predictable plot. I've been watching anime for so long, and I'm tired of seeing the same thing. Am I cruel? I don't know, but this is fiction at the end of the day, and I enjoyed it! If you're more interested in a slice of life anime where no one harms another, there's plenty of those this season! I don't mind PMing you a few recommendations if you're interested. (≧▽≦) I can go through your list and chose something that might work out for you!

man i apreaciate the offer, but some of my favorite fiction works have really shitty and broken characters,and it is not i cant stand people suffering, it is not the things that the characters do that bothers me, it is the fact that the show treats the fact that she is a shellfish asshole like it is nothing, and it even has the audacity to put a motivational quote at the end
Oct 17, 2020 8:29 AM
Aug 2017
_MushiRock11_ said:

I get your point about not doing anything in her shoes too, because I'm most likely to do that as well. I totally understand her reasonings and I respect it but a part of me just can't stomach it, that's all.

Maybe that'll change with a few more dark episodes but for the time being, it was a fair episode at best for me.

Ah, sorry if that post came across like I was aiming it at you specifically, I really just wanted to give my thoughts on that area in general and yours was the most recent post on the subject. I'm still getting used to the forum I suppose.

Also, I totally only intended to write about half of what I did. Guess it's a good thing if a show ends up making you feel like you have a lot to say about it though.
Oct 17, 2020 8:30 AM

Feb 2015
This is turning out the be a hidden gem this season. I can't wait to see what's next. Elaina sure is taking the promise she made to heart.

Anime | Profile | Manga
「The day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday I saw a deer, and today, you.」

Oct 17, 2020 8:36 AM

Sep 2015
alberto662 said:

man i apreaciate the offer, but some of my favorite fiction works have really shitty and broken characters,and it is not i cant stand people suffering, it is not the things that the characters do that bothers me, it is the fact that the show treats the fact that she is a shellfish asshole like it is nothing, and it even has the audacity to put a motivational quote at the end

It's okay! I might have to rewatch this episode later next week and see if my opinion changes! I did watch it while I was really tired and sleepy, but I did enjoy it. I do respect your opinion and you have every right to say what you're saying! I don't want to argue or anything, and I think it's best to fully judge the anime once it finishes airing! Maybe we'll get more character development and understand Elaina more? Who knows! So far, I'm really enjoying this anime (along with other great stuff airing this season), and I'll judge the show in it's entirety once it finishes airing! I hope you have an awesome day! ( ╹▽╹ )
Oct 17, 2020 8:37 AM
Apr 2018
alberto662 said:
DarkYuzuko said:

THIS!!
People who are blindly defending her actions wouldn't understand what you are trying to say even if you enumerate all the faults in her character.
Oct 17, 2020 8:40 AM
Jan 2018
ShiroHachi said:
What will happen to Nino after that?
It's likely the same as what happened to the wife in that story, yeah, most likely she will kill herself
Skipped scene, Elaina's monologue in the LN :
They really push it harder in the LN don't they
Oct 17, 2020 8:41 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
The_Wicker_Man said:
Ah, sorry if that post came across like I was aiming it at you specifically, I really just wanted to give my thoughts on that area in general and yours was the most recent post on the subject. I'm still getting used to the forum I suppose.

Also, I totally only intended to write about half of what I did. Guess it's a good thing if a show ends up making you feel like you have a lot to say about it though.

Oh no, no worries. I didn’t feel like that at all. In fact, you managed to change my impression of the episode a little so I’m thankful, if anything.

Ah, that often happens to me. I have a reputation here of writing humongous posts so I totally understand, lol.

Welcome here to MAL forums, by the way!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 17, 2020 8:44 AM
Jun 2020
SatouMatsuzaka said:
Kleista said:
I think the plot is similar to Violet Evergarden. Every chapter, there's a new character and a new setting. The animation is so clean specially in that part where Elaina fixed the broken pitcher.

I hope Nino can find her happiness.

Not really..Violet actually grows as a character, and the episodes are complete, self contained stories that hold up on their own. All that Elaina has given us is interesting concepts but unsatisfactory conclusions.

Hmm. That argument is irrefutable.

Let's just hope that Elaina gives us satisfying conclusions 'til the end of this series.

Majo no Tabitabi, don't let me down pls
Oct 17, 2020 8:51 AM
Jul 2020
REMINDER: This is the 'Journey of Elaina' Elaina is a TRAVELLER, she doesn't get involved with other people's business to the extent she has to sort out every problem by herself, like you guys need to chillllll..
Oct 17, 2020 8:55 AM

Feb 2014
why the witch did not burn these flowers or try to help Nino? she's so unsympathetic
Oct 17, 2020 9:05 AM
Apr 2018
kiwixcoke said:
REMINDER: This is the 'Journey of Elaina' Elaina is a TRAVELLER, she doesn't get involved with other people's business to the extent she has to sort out every problem by herself, like you guys need to chillllll..

Yes, we understand that's the title of the show and that what the show is all about. What most people are complaining here is the portrayal of her character as someone who is so detached and showed no sympathy to others. I understand that sometimes, things are out of our hands and we can't do anything about it. But you know, as a human, when we can't do anything, we feel bad.
Oct 17, 2020 9:07 AM

Apr 2020
It is unexpected that Episode 3 will be the episode of the show where it will get the most opinions out of its viewers. This episode was really conflicting me as well. I might as well do a second dive at the things that went in on the show.
Oct 17, 2020 9:25 AM

Dec 2018
apep23 said:
Get the message boys. "Just because you are doing something for someone else doesn't make it right". Even she wants to do something and she can't grasp what is right or wrong. Hence she didn't do anything

Do you guys even understand the utter bullshit of the phrase " Just because you are doing something for someone else doesn't make it right" in this context? you guys are saying that destroying the flower field and stop a lot of future deaths is not correct, did I get that right? and you are also implying that stopping the sexual abuse of a minor is not correct, what? You can argue that it is complicated to solve but saying that it is not correct is just concerning and before you argue that that makes Elaina s character more "human" that is just wrong because a human in those situations would be actually powerless to do anything, in Elainas case she can solve both issues wavering her wand with the second situations being harder to solve of course but still, now if you want to say that Elaina is mentally uncapable of seeing what I just said fine but you guys should be able to.
Oct 17, 2020 9:26 AM

Apr 2020
Let myself be reminded (and you as well) that this episode created a lot of mixed emotions for people who had been enjoying this show till this point including me. The 3rd episode's discussion pretty much surpassed the 1st episode, so you know what. I'm gonna say what I thought again about how I perceive Elaina's decisions in Episode 3 in full, lengthy detail.

WARNING: This is my longest ever discussion in MAL. It overshadows every long post I've done so far. I had to put in a spoiler tab for this so that this page will not be overwhelmed by my post. So if you wish to proceed, then prepare yourself for painfully long paragraphs and possible tangents. It's the first time an episode provoked me to do such kind of an undertaking. I don't want to skip on the opportunity and let my conflicted thoughts on this episode dissipate in my mind. So here you go, and I already apologize for it is very long...

Oct 17, 2020 9:32 AM

Aug 2016
You know what, I watched this episode again and I think I got a better understanding of Elaina's actions and how they tie to the core messages of the story:

"Not all that appears to be beautiful is indeed beautiful, so don't let yourself be deceived by beauty."
"Just because you think you're doing the right thing, doesn't mean it's right in the grand scheme of things, your attempt at helping out might very well make things worse."

Elaina's first mistake was simply accepting the plants from a complete stranger based on how nice they look, this led to that stranger's brother going out of his village to the field and becoming plant food, the guy was clearly beyond salvation by that point and Elaina burning the field down with some fire magic could not only cause a widespread fire throughout the rest of that forest, but also potentially spread the plants' spores and get more people infected. We don't know how those plants really work, Elaina doesn't either, so is it really okay for her to meddle with that at a risk of making things worse than a bunch of plant zombies heading towards a town that seems to be capable of defending itself from them? I don't think what Elaina did was the most admirable thing to do, and a more emotional response from her would have been nice, but I think it's understandable at the very least.

That theme carries over to Nino's situation: Elaina almost killed or at least gravely injured the mayor of a town where she's a complete stranger. Would that help Nino out? Superficially, yes, she wouldn't have to worry about being abused by that piece of shit anymore, but then what? The mayor's son would be left without his father, he obviously can't take care of the house and/or Nino by himself, let alone the whole town, it could potentially make the whole place fall into chaos. This reminds me of the first story arc of Fullmetal Alchemist (spoilers ahead for people who haven't watched either of the two FMA anime or read the manga) with Edward and Alphonse exposing a religious leader who's been deceiving the people of a desert town he now rules into thinking he's some kind of savior with holy powers. What happens next? Is the town better now that such a terrible person is no longer in power? No, the place was engulfed by civil war because some people remained loyal to him while others did not want him around anymore, the 2003 anime makes this consequence of Ed and Al's meddling with the town's affairs much heavier than the manga or Brotherhood, by showing how many people died since they did that. There's no easy solution to a problem that involves so many people's lives, neither Ed and Al nor Elaina made everyone happy with their decisions in their respective stories, and that's pretty much the point.

With the way Elaina's reaction to the mayor's shitty treatment of Nino actually scared him for a while, we can have some wishful thinking that he could start reflecting on what he's doing and take it easier with Nino from now on. Then again, that's just wishful thinking, the show didn't answer what happens next and probably never will, instead leaving things in a very grim tone.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Oct 17, 2020 9:35 AM

Oct 2017
Both parts were quite disturbing and dark.
Oct 17, 2020 9:39 AM

Apr 2010
kidlat020 said:
Aversa said:
Flesh eating plants a naive kid and an old pervert.
I guess this is the dark side of their world, since the story so far has been pretty rose coloured it's a clear sign that not everything is as it seems.
The question is should she have helped them or not i kind of like the idea that she isn't a overly righteous person since that's something we see way to often in anime.
She seems more of a realist tho she is a bit of a narcissist.

ehh, I don't think its neither realist nor narcissist.

more like don't get too involved with other people or else your travel ends there. that's very much the exact same words she told to the girl in ep2. discarding her own words now will make her a hypocrite. she only interferes when its absolutely necessary and nothing more. for better or worse.
I wasn't talking about the situation i was talking about her in general when i said she is a bit of a narcissist, she refers to herself as a bishoujo and she shows off a bit about being a majo.
She isn't exaggerating so it's no where near the point that it's a bad habit but it just stood out to me.

Not getting involved and distancing herself from things like this is a very realistic choice since just like you mention getting involved would cause more trouble than it's worth and it might be the end of her journey.
I think she realises what getting involved means and what the consequences will be.
And in my opinion that makes her realistic.
Oct 17, 2020 9:50 AM

Sep 2016
Don't butt in other people's business
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Oct 17, 2020 9:55 AM
Oct 2012
It implied the girl in the story with the camera panning over the knife committed suicide and due to the similarities with that story and the boy and Nino's one its kind of implying she committed suicide as well.
I thought this was a more wholesome version of Kino no tabi, but this episode felt very much like Kino no tabi, I wouldn't say nowhere near as good but I enjoyed it. The second half was pretty good it had a message. The first half whilst you can read some in it just felt ant climatic the mc fucked up and a guy died and I think she just left and well other people are going to die in that chain as well, it just felt anti climatic as a story compared to the other one.
Oct 17, 2020 10:21 AM
Oct 2018
GangsterCat said:
Don't butt in other people's business

having slaves isnt other's people businesses, you have to be insane to think that
Oct 17, 2020 10:28 AM

Mar 2009
-Aincrad- said:

Btw, author previously said not to show any panties, so there won't be anything ecchi, making it safe for all ages to watch.
Sure that's all good, but I guess it's okay to secretly /not so secretly show signs of domestic abuse and r*pe.

Yeah, seriously. What the hell. I remember seeing that on twitter last week. Please, no panties...but implied sexual abuse is A-okay! Almost could laugh at that if it weren't so depressing. I'm honestly hoping we're just looking too into things that aren't actually there, but the leering at Elaina was also quite telling.

Anyway, holy tone whiplash Batman! I had a complete misunderstanding of what this show actually is. Seemed like a wholesome, relaxing story based on the first two episodes, but I guess not! Drastically different episode compared to the first two. People were totally right to compare this to Kino's Journey. But it was certainly handled a hell of a lot better in Kino's Journey.

I wonder what the rest of the stories are going to be like now.
Oct 17, 2020 10:47 AM

Jun 2020
This episode hit me, literally. I thought I was going to see a nice and quiet episode....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm sorry but I don't know English very well.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oct 17, 2020 10:48 AM

Jan 2019
To be honest this was a pretty decent episode for me. Sure Elaina may seems like a trash human being due some her choices, specially for what happens during the first minutes of the episode. But at same time the fact that she is a flawed person makes the show way more interesting than if she was some hyper sensitive pure and perfect super hero.

Not really sure what direction this show is going to take, but it would be really interesting to see her take even more decision that could seem as cold or even evil.
At same time it would be also interesting to see the repercussions of her decisions.

The begining of this episode (flower incident) reminds me a bit part of the story from the Tales of the Abbys game and how Luke (MC of that game) pretty much genocide an entire town by accident.

In ToA's case the incident is clearly put there as a plot device in order to make Luke's character grow. In that case you clearly see the character trying to justify his actions at first, He tries to put all the blame in one of the villain who basically betray him and lead him to kill all those people that he was supposed to help which is true to be fair, but still doesn't remove Luke's responsavility from the incident.

This attitude along with his actions makes most of his group to gang against him and treat him like the worst class of trash.
After all that comes the admission of his responsibility wich also lead to depression and then finally his grow as a person, plus his quest for redemption.

Sadly in this show case we don't really see something similar, I guess that this is what triggers so many people about this episode. The fact that Elaina doesn't seems to give too much of a damn about the whole thing.

I mean if you think about it: many people rage about the whole slavery and child abuse thing but didn't even mention first incident which is even worse in my opinion...

Why would she care about the slave girl and the abusive guy when:
a) She didn't slave her
b) Probably slavery is legal in that place so it is seen as something normal.
c) There is a big chance that helping the girl could bring her trouble and could even be huge problem to herself.
d) but more important than all that: She pretty much genocide an entire town (by accident to be fair) and she didnt seem to give a rat about it, in fact she made a troll comment about the man-eating plants to the bottle kid when she first meet him.

Now this whole reasoning may be seen as me hating on the show, but is quite the opposite. As I said before: the fact that Elaina is flawed makes her character way more interesting than a one dimensional hero, even if she can be considered a bad person by real life standars.

Oct 17, 2020 11:53 AM

Aug 2010
I have a really mixed feeling about this episode. I already expected it going darker, and the messages in this episode were good, he story ideas are the most interesting so far, yet the delivery feels off. The stories were too short, can't feel anything for the characters and the message ended up not so impactful.

Also didn't like how the 2nd story concluded with Elaina's sudden afterthoughts. Would've been better if we at least heard about that story beforehand too.

I guess this episode to me feels like a jot notes of story ideas. Two unfinished stories.
Oct 17, 2020 11:54 AM
Oct 2020
Everyone who came from shonen anime after this episode: "oh shit! Why didn't she save the girl? Aren't she suppose to save people?" :)))
Oct 17, 2020 12:11 PM
Jun 2017
That's was not what I was expecting from her personality, but I'm enjoing more this balance between being a good a person and sometimes being in this morally gray area

Reading through some skipped chapters from the LN, she's able to do some minor bad things like scamming people to get money and not caring about using fake money from another country
Oct 17, 2020 12:25 PM

Mar 2018
Moderator Message
-----------------------------------
I appreciate all the thoughts and opinions on the show/episode but I would like to remind everyone;
  • Everyone has their own opinion and/or how they interpret(ed) this episode. Respect that.
  • Do not resort to Abuse and/or Trolling and keep the posts and thread itself civil.
  • Do not doublepost. You are able to edit your previous post.

☆  PlayStation: KoitoTV
☆  Discord: Koito
☆  Twitch Koito
☆  @Koito91
Oct 17, 2020 1:32 PM

Jul 2014
What a strange show. Every episode starts with Elaina praising herself despite her mom warning her about it.

And then I, well, I don't see the point of her journey. She has no goal, no idea about the attitude to other people, and, frankly, she's just too stuck up to meaningfully interact with others. And sure, I wouldn't mind a haughty and cold female witch character dishing out harsher lessons like the one in the second ep about the solitude, but she's just not consistent.

What does she even want to achieve with her journey?
She doesn't seem to have a set goal, even meeting other witches and looking at their work.
She doesn't get involved, which may be smart, but then she should do it properly - not take pupils, strange requests (flowers), someone else's food (and her insisting on the size of the portion was impolite). She shouldn't antagonize people too with this mindset.
And if she is interested in getting involved, she should at least try to help a dying person, who she has just pushed in this situation.
She is motivated only by vanity, it seems. And it’s not the way to do a formative journey for her or an interesting show for us.

Take this ep - sure, maybe she shouldn't meddle in family lives, because these conflicts are everywhere and slaver is legal for them. She expressed her disgust and scared the mayor, the mayor's son is a lower level mage who tries to fix things a bit. But her takeaway is strange. First of all, why didn't she think about the book and try to say anything to the guy before? Honestly, I thought she knew the bad ending and hid it out of kindness. Secondly, why is it so negative in this case, since the younger dude is trying his best and he's a mage, thus able to protect his girl? I think there's hope for the couple. And Elaina could've told the guy he was insensitive, why not? It wouldn't hurt the show to address the place slavery has in their world. Or to have any proper social worldbuilding, for that matter.

But with the flower field Elaina was responsible for the brother's death. She did not mention finding a girl in the flower field to the old guard even after he had told her about the dangers of it, which was a bad move no matter how you look at it. And she had made an unnecessary scene right before, so she could've made some effort. And since there're monsters in their world, shouldn't she be more perceptive of it? The lady's request was strange. Why advertise a field? Elaina should've been more concerned with the fact thet she was used. And then she saw the dude dying horribly partially because of her actions and didn't try to help at all. I mean, again, I get it - the field was a major anomaly, she didn't know anything about it and felt it was not her problem, the guy was obviously very infected already. But it's a normal human reaction to reach out, the story is not about beautiful things having thorns, she should've felt guilty, and as a witch she should be more interested in the magic behind it.
She's just meh atm. And so very boastful.

Edit: Oh, and it's completely unclear what's the point of her being a witch in the story now, since the last two episodes could've been done with any other craft or without it. If anything, her flying freely takes away from a journey with no transportation issues (but adds to the visuals, ok).
Why did she want to become a witch if she doesn't help people much with it, doesn't get involved with other witches professionally, doesn't study magical monsters? We don't see her use it for personal protection or to earn money with it too...
She's basically "I am a witch, I am cool now, so I'll go around and fish for compliments"
deadoptimistOct 17, 2020 2:15 PM
Oct 17, 2020 1:36 PM

Nov 2012
Man, I hated the no conclusion in the 1st part when the zombies where walking, where, why, how?

Then the poor girl and that piece of sh*t, and she just watch that and doesn´t even give a f*ck, she´s a freaking witch for the love of God

This is nothing like Kino, but well, I´ll give it a chance next ep or I´ll just drop it

My Candies:

Oct 17, 2020 1:46 PM

Jul 2016
Elaina actually let the brother die in madness and didn't even tell the old guard about the incident. And then, the story concluded on a cliffhanger with the flower "zombies" marching towards the town... what? Seriously? Was there even a point in including such incomplete segment?

And the second story with Nino... man, that blonde kid's naivety was absolutely off the charts. I mean, who in their right mind would show moments of happiness and FREEDOM to a slave? I mean, of course the poor girl would end up killing herself. Oh, and how convenient that Elaina only remembered the end of the "husband/wife" story when the damage was already done.

And finally, as for Elaina not interfering in both stories, I'm not asking her to be a hero or to eradicate slavery but hell, at least give some advice or alert people when there is danger incoming. Her not giving a fuck about others only makes her character feel less real and very hard to empathize with.
Oct 17, 2020 1:47 PM
Sep 2020
Wow. I thought this anime is going to be more of a children story, so the ending of this episode really surprised me… it was creepy, but made me even more interested in the show. I’m wondering whether it’s going to turn into a really dark story. Also, it bothers me from the very beginning, how Elaina’s character is portrayed. She seems selfish, narcissistic and I don’t think that she was bothered with the tragedies happening around her at all… I’m curious whether she’s going to stay like that through the entire show, or is it going to be like a turning point in this story; maybe she will realize her flaws and try to change herself in the following episodes
Oct 17, 2020 2:26 PM

Jun 2014
Hanfos said:
what did i just watch
i thought this anime will be great but maybe i was wrong

this ep was horrible
a witch traveling trough the world. watching ppl suffer and dying and doesnt give a single fuck

i might drop soon if she keeps staying completely useless

If that is your interpretation of the episode, then do yourself the favour and drop it.
Oct 17, 2020 2:32 PM
May 2017
What is the point of this anime? She travels places to watch people get eaten and commit suicide? Like what?
Oct 17, 2020 3:04 PM
Oct 2014
Its like an anime of The Witcher. This episode was interesting because it dealt with how much we can be expected to do in the face of evil.

That is to say, carnivorous flowers are not evil, because its nature, but allowing a young man to be consumed by them is.

Slavery is an evil, especially if the slave is abused and will likely be raped. Therefore Elaina is a morally bankrupt person, or an absolute coward to allow the situation to continue despite her power.

I'm not saying that the show is bad, I just want everyone to know that if you stan Elaina, you're wrong.
Oct 17, 2020 3:43 PM

Sep 2017
Def the best episode of the series. Will say there was very much wasted potential with the first story. That could have def been a full episode where we learn more about the characters and maybe learn about other ppl who have been affected by the flowers. It could have built up suspense about that red haired dude and how he wants to go look for his sister but knows he shouldn't. Then we she leaves on her final day in the county the audience has a feeling that he might have gone to his death so it hits way harder when we find him there.

Ppl who are complaining about how Elaina has no empathy and should have helped have seriously zero clue what this show is supposed to be. I'm sure when you all go on vacations you stop to help every stranger you meet. Go watch more shounen where the MC helps every person he meets because of his OP powers & unnaturally altruistic nature.
ProofByColorOct 17, 2020 3:49 PM
Oct 17, 2020 3:47 PM
Oct 2020
Elaina is a fucking psychopath.
Oct 17, 2020 4:02 PM

Feb 2017
Wow, that second story was heart-wrenching. There’s the emotiveness I wanted from this show, damn...
Oct 17, 2020 4:04 PM

Mar 2014
Pretty dark episode this week...
Oct 17, 2020 4:11 PM

Feb 2010
fuwahfuwaaaaaah said:
kiwixcoke said:

Yes, we understand that's the title of the show and that what the show is all about. What most people are complaining here is the portrayal of her character as someone who is so detached and showed no sympathy to others. I understand that sometimes, things are out of our hands and we can't do anything about it. But you know, as a human, when we can't do anything, we feel bad.

for me it's more of the white knighters in the thread that bother me.

you got a bunch of nay sayers in here saying "Oh shes not a psychopath."

im sorry, but the medical definition of psychopaths lack of regret and empathy and the inability to feel guilt or form lasting bonds. as well as extreme narcissism (oh look another trait she has.)

so YES shes a damn psychopath

Zarator said:

And that's somehow "heroic" or "good"? I personally prefer a character who understands when you can and cannot get involved over one who does whatever pleases her and still gets called a hero.

imagine thinking my argument was around "heroic or good."

kino is never called a hero shes closer to an antihero if anything, but her personality is much more complex then 1 dimensional character to the point they come off as unintentional psychopathy.

it's about writing a character that can be relatable even if you don't agree with everything they do.

i don't exactly agree with the destabilizing the kingdom and turning the entire higher class citizens against each other in a blood bath to compete for the next ruler, but i at least understand why she did what she did.

MOST people can't relate to psychopaths there is a reason it's called a serve mental disorder.

what makes the MC of this series worse is that she never gets development never really changes or does things interesting besides "observe." which makes her all the flatter for it.

take kira from death note i hate his guts, but even hes a more complex character then this 1 dimensional so called witch.

i didn't agree with his ideology or the path he went down, but i at least UNDERSTOOD him as a character.

you can make amoral characters as a main character and still make them relatable even if the viewer disagrees with them.

this character is not that.

another example is a webnovel god kings legacy the main character character called lucia whose literally pillages and murders entire kingdoms while trying to become "a legendary hero."
shes a awful person, but still relatable and still a fun character because shes still humanly relatable.
GrimAtramentOct 17, 2020 4:32 PM
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Oct 17, 2020 4:19 PM

Jul 2016
hazarddex said:

im sorry, but the medical definition of psychopaths lack of regret and empathy and the inability to feel guilt or form lasting bonds. as well as extreme narcissism (oh look another trait she has.)

so YES shes a damn psychopath

If her expression after she saw the young soldier and the red-haired girl after returning to the flower field felt like "lack of emotion" to you, I feel like the problem is less with her empathy and more with your own, frankly.

Yes she didn't look like she was being overcome with guilt - but why would she? Yes she did physically contribute to the whole disaster but, really, she had absolutely no way of knowing so in advance, and she was just acting out of kindness when she first carried out the flower bouquet - I'm pretty sure any decent human being would've done the same. You're free to argue that "I would feel guilty in such a situation", but to say that anybody should (or, worse, than anybody who doesn't is a sociopathic) is just moronic.

Still, she definitely looked saddened to me - to say she didn't care at all about what transpired simply means that either you weren't paying attention to the anime or maybe you're just used to much more flamboyant displays of emotion (and that's frankly your problem, not the show's - even IRL, people have different ways to express their own grief, some more flashy than others).
Oct 17, 2020 4:22 PM

Aug 2018
Goddamn, This anime is just going 100 to 0 too fast.
I mean WtF just happened the show went from being sunshine and rainbows to HELLA DARK! DAMN
Overall
% out of 10
Oct 17, 2020 4:43 PM

Feb 2010
Zarator said:
hazarddex said:

so YES shes a damn psychopath (at least comes off as one in this story.)

If her expression after she saw the young soldier and the red-haired girl after returning to the flower field felt like "lack of emotion" to you, I feel like the problem is less with her empathy and more with your own, frankly.

Yes she didn't look like she was being overcome with guilt - but why would she? Yes she did physically contribute to the whole disaster but, really, she had absolutely no way of knowing so in advance, and she was just acting out of kindness when she first carried out the flower bouquet - I'm pretty sure any decent human being would've done the same. You're free to argue that "I would feel guilty in such a situation", but to say that anybody should (or, worse, than anybody who doesn't is a sociopathic) is just moronic.

Still, she definitely looked saddened to me - to say she didn't care at all about what transpired simply means that either you weren't paying attention to the anime or maybe you're just used to much more flamboyant displays of emotion (and that's frankly your problem, not the show's - even IRL, people have different ways to express their own grief, some more flashy than others).

"oh but she made expression." oh boy if i had a penny for every novice kid in class psychology class that said that with people who had psychopathy i would be rich.

psychopaths can mimic facial expressions without actually feeling anything. because they think people would make that expression in x situation. basically if they see people around them make certain facial expressions in certain situations they will mimic them to "fit in." and get what they want.

theres another character from a kenetic novel series (also better written then this.) called fault milestone which ironically is another travel based series.

but one of the characters they encounter was a sociopath during her child hood after stabbing out a kids eye she gets in trouble with her parents then spends years acting like she had changed while in secret she had been cutting apart cats in back allies.

and

so
if shes not intended to be a psychopathy then the writer didn't do the best job with her character job because even in later volumes she exhibits some more attributes to one.

also you didn't address any of my prior points and responded to comment not even directed at you. like seriously dude wasn't even talking to you.
GrimAtramentOct 18, 2020 11:33 AM
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Oct 17, 2020 4:48 PM
🔥🔥🔥

Jan 2020
Wow, this anime really took a turn. It's pretty dark. Elena kind of reminds me of nature documentaries where the one filming has to just sit and watch animals starve to death etc. when they could help but they don't want to interfere with the natural order of things.

It's kind of cold-hearted for Elena to be so nonchalant about another person's suffering but it makes for an interesting character. You don't often see people like that in anime. In a lot of other shows, she would have stepped in and saved Nino from her horrible situation. Points for being a bit different. This is one of the better seasonals imo.

🔥 🔥 🔥 . 阿良々木 暦, 傷 物 語 . 🔥 🔥 🔥
Build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night
but set a man on fire and you'll warm him
for the rest of his life...
- H E N D Y -
Oct 17, 2020 4:50 PM

Jan 2019
I believe that this discussion is only going so far because the story is not well written. The protagonist's non-interference could make total sense and not seem as out of place as it seems, but the anime failed to properly establish the reasons for this. Interesting ideas, bad episode in general.
"If someone says it's wrong to hope, I'll tell them they're wrong every single time."
Oct 17, 2020 5:01 PM
Oct 2015
Kleista said:
I think the plot is similar to Violet Evergarden. Every chapter, there's a new character and a new setting. The animation is so clean specially in that part where Elaina fixed the broken pitcher.

I hope Nino can find her happiness.

This series reminds me more of the one about the kid driving a talking motorcycle that went to a different land each week. Some stories were happy and some weeks they were sad.
Pages (13) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Does anyone know how long Elaina has been traveling and what age she started

Ninja_inslops - Nov 1, 2021

8 by Ranka-Nyan »»
Apr 19, 9:38 AM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 18, 2020

243 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 12, 5:33 PM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 4, 2020

129 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 11, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 13, 2020

173 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 9, 7:41 PM

Poll: » Majo no Tabitabi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2020

276 by BlueBullet178 »»
Apr 9, 7:38 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.