Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Oct 10, 2020 3:43 AM
Dec 2019
Okay, this episode was so poorly made. They all looked out of porpotion and the movement wasn't fluid. Such a shame, and I hope the next week we get an amazing episode as always... :(
Oct 10, 2020 4:02 AM

Jun 2019
Compared to the last seasons of Haikyuu, this episode had a bad animation. Not like completely bad but I find it pretty lackluster. Did they get low on budget or something?
There may be a reason why that happened but still. Looking forward to the next episode.
Oct 10, 2020 4:05 AM

Sep 2016
MorallyCorrupt said:
Okay, after a little more research, I found out that the episode was outsourced to 4tune(?). It was rushed and covered a greater number of chapters as compared to episode 1. It seems like the next episode will fix the pacing issue and bring back the consistent animation and characters quality of the previous episode.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks. It was really sad to see such a huge quality drop. Gave me PTSD flashbacks to OPM S2.
Oct 10, 2020 4:37 AM
Aug 2018
I'm not too worried about the art, outsourcing happens, but am I the only one who feels like there's not rly much tension so far this season? Maybe I'm misremembering but the past seasons seemed to be a lot more focused and the matches seemed to have more stakes, whereas here it feels like the comedy is taking focus and the match isn't as much a priority. It seems like they're building it up for later on where they run out of surprises and lose their luck which will make the match a lot hard for them, but right now the tension isn't really there for me. I don't know if that's just me or if others feel the same way.
Oct 10, 2020 4:38 AM
Jul 2018
I really like Haikyuu but this episode has the worst animation. No fluid animation Worst episode in entire Haikyuu. I think this season will be scored less than previous season
Oct 10, 2020 5:02 AM
Jan 2018
People must have forgot there is a pandemic going on and not all shows are going to have high production value, it was the same with Rezero S2 half of part 1 was done at home
Oct 10, 2020 5:12 AM
Apr 2020
Flobuongermini said:
What’s up with the animation tho? It looked really bad today :(

So I am not the only one
Oct 10, 2020 5:17 AM
Apr 2018
Haha, I'm so bad at paying attention to details that I hadn't even realized that something was off with the animation before reading the comments and seeing the print screens. However, I still think that it was not THAT bad, just a bit weird at times.

Also, on the pacing issue, I'm not a manga reader, and honestly I enjoyed this episode probably even more than the previous one. I mean, adapting 7 chapters in 1 episode is probably too much, but sometimes I do think that the pacing in previous episodes was a tad too slow for me, so probably the ideal is between the two extremes for me.
Oct 10, 2020 5:20 AM
Aug 2017
BRO WHY THE ANIMATION AND THE FACES OF THE CHARACTERS LOOKS SO GOOFY??? DONT TELL ME THEY ACTUALLY DOWNGRADED THE ANIMATION AND ART OF THE ANIME FOR THE REST OF THIS ANIME...IF THAT HAPPENS IM MAD AS HECK
Oct 10, 2020 5:38 AM
Jul 2016
ShoriTora said:
I'm not too worried about the art, outsourcing happens, but am I the only one who feels like there's not rly much tension so far this season? Maybe I'm misremembering but the past seasons seemed to be a lot more focused and the matches seemed to have more stakes, whereas here it feels like the comedy is taking focus and the match isn't as much a priority. It seems like they're building it up for later on where they run out of surprises and lose their luck which will make the match a lot hard for them, but right now the tension isn't really there for me. I don't know if that's just me or if others feel the same way.

Well, with Aoba Josai, they had history and were in a rematch against them after their first defeat, and Shiratarizowa had been built up since like the first season/early parts of season 2, and the match against Shiratarizowa was a final so I think that explains why they had more tension. We're still only in the early stages of this match though, so I think there's still time for it to build up more.
Oct 10, 2020 6:25 AM

May 2018
Poor art and animation this episode. It felt kinda rushed as well haha. Other than that it's just more Haikyuu, and I'm always down for more Haikyuu!
Oct 10, 2020 7:14 AM
Aug 2018
Tsukishima's laugh when asahi did the feint was so awesome😂
Another great ep 🥰
Oct 10, 2020 7:23 AM

Mar 2016
The comedy in this episode is exceeding previous ones. So glad Haikyuu has improved on its humor aspect
Oct 10, 2020 8:19 AM

Apr 2020
the long-awaited ship started! LOL
Hinata realized that Kageyama isn't the only setter for him

I read a lot of complaints about the animation. it doesn't really compare to the previous season and actually I feel a bit disappointed. I don't think its a budget difficulty, but perhaps there were complications with the outsourced studio and let's remember that many of the productions scheduled for the spring season were interrupted by the covid.

BUT i was snapping my fingers the entire episode: the reaction faces of gold, the maturity of some characters, the complicities, the humor. idk. despite some unnatural proportions and awkward animation pacing, I still love this show.

and every season Saeko-neesan represents me more and more (#^ω^#)
Oct 10, 2020 8:26 AM
May 2020
I’m so proud of my bb Yamaguchi he’s doing so well aksjdh I see some people complaining about animation and art style but let’s be positive! I personally found no problem with either of the above and I know I’d never be able to make anything nearly as good so good job to the animators uwu
Oct 10, 2020 8:36 AM
Oct 2019
The animation was awful :’( hopefully this will be fixed for the rest of the season. Still I do like the first 3 seasons’ art style much more.
Oct 10, 2020 8:46 AM

Feb 2014
tsubasalover said:

It sure got awry. Felt like I was watching gag.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Oct 10, 2020 8:48 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
It was still a really good episode but goddamn the art/animation took a hit this episode.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Oct 10, 2020 8:53 AM
Mar 2020
I was cracking up because of the animation like wtf XDD
either way I still love the episode. I understand the people behind this are struggling and trying to make ends meet but FR this episode cracked me up 😂.

The faces I can't 😂😂😂
Oct 10, 2020 8:56 AM
Jul 2016
Akunai said:
JadentheAnimeguy said:

They weren't saving budget, budgets not a problem for Haikyu, the episode got outsourced to a different studio because I.G. didn't feel they were prepared enough to do it, presumably a busy schedule
JadentheAnimeguy said:

They weren't saving budget, budgets not a problem for Haikyu, the episode got outsourced to a different studio because I.G. didn't feel they were prepared enough to do it, presumably a busy schedule

Makes me sad... Especially since this is supposed to be the last season and they had already delayed it due to covid. They would have had enough time to even redo it. In prior seasons, you could take a screenshot and compare it to the panel for the manga and it would look near the same for any action sequence. You can't even compare for this ep. Although they did have to incorporate a lot of chapters, timing is still off to me... I hope it only gets better.

Who said its the last season? There's like 400 chapters of the manga.
Oct 10, 2020 9:26 AM

Jun 2020
The animation is awful :(

this isn't kageyama, this is k@@geyamoo

♡hyena zzZzzZ♡

Oct 10, 2020 11:25 AM
May 2016
If I hadn’t read the manga maybe I would have felt weird with the art style. But those funny frames are weirdly very charming. And the manga is filled with them.
Anyway it didn’t bother me so much.
I loved Tsukki and him being all like “no one hates the quick attack more than me TRY ME” hahah love him.
And ofc love to see more of Miya Atsumu. Osamu and Atsumu dissolving into their accents when fighting is hilarious. The voice acting is 10/10 always in HQ.
Oct 10, 2020 11:27 AM
Jul 2014
Asahi trying to spike, failing, and then scoring anyway is such a mood
Oct 10, 2020 11:30 AM

Aug 2008
I'm glad it wasn't just me. Man the art and animation was just terrifyingly bad. It actually distracted me from what was happening. I hope I don't have to suffer through that again. If there is issues with capacity at the studio or whatever I'd rather wait longer and get it to look the way it's supposed to rather than have this dumpster fire... Plot was good but I was really distracted by the terrible quality which is a real shame!
Oct 10, 2020 12:08 PM

May 2020
This episode was so good that I resumed the manga.
Oct 10, 2020 12:56 PM
Aug 2020
the animation was WAYYY off this episode and thats why i rated it a 4 instead of 5, overall, ive never looked at an anime for only its animation but it was a bit surprising to see. Maybe thats why more people rated it a 1?
Oct 10, 2020 12:58 PM
Aug 2020
Kotoha said:
I'm glad it wasn't just me. Man the art and animation was just terrifyingly bad. It actually distracted me from what was happening. I hope I don't have to suffer through that again. If there is issues with capacity at the studio or whatever I'd rather wait longer and get it to look the way it's supposed to rather than have this dumpster fire... Plot was good but I was really distracted by the terrible quality which is a real shame!
SAME BRO, i definitely thought they couldve done better on the art and animation and i wish they didnt change the art style so much, i do still love the story tho so im gonna support it unconditionally

Oct 10, 2020 12:58 PM
Jan 2019
MorallyCorrupt said:
is it just me or was this episode the most badly made so far. Characters looked out of proportions, a lot of it was just moving static characters and wonky animation. i hope they fix this for future episodes. It was no fun watching an episode that looked like garbage

Exactly. It looks fucking ugly. I hated the art. I literally came here to see if anyone else noticed it. To me the art and animation is very important.
Oct 10, 2020 12:59 PM
Aug 2020
DatRandomDude said:
It was still a really good episode but goddamn the art/animation took a hit this episode.
YES ME TOO I WAS LAUGHING SO HARD
Oct 10, 2020 1:00 PM
Aug 2020
JadentheAnimeguy said:
AcbSnakeDemon said:
There could have been potentially some good moments this episode. The highlight for me would’ve been Yamaguchi’s mental breakdown and Hinata wondering which blocker was the most intimidating. Unfortunately, I don’t like Haikyū devolving to Devilman Crybaby animation. Even if you’re saving the budget for the cool stuff, I cannot tolerate this abysmal quality of animation. Absolutely terrible in some scenes. This is not what I expected at all. I will probably read the manga chapters this episode adapted. I’m hoping this will not continue for future eps.
This is why you don’t review a series after one episode 🤦🏻‍♂️

Edit: some people are saying the animation is outsourced- well that explains it. Petition for this ep to be reanimated

I hope i
t was only for this episode
Oct 10, 2020 1:13 PM
Nov 2019
The animation was sure out of place but the character development, and humor was too good. Ost was amazing this episode. This match seems like it is going to be fun.
Oct 10, 2020 1:35 PM

Aug 2008
hey_hey_heyyyyy said:
Kotoha said:
SAME BRO, i definitely thought they couldve done better on the art and animation and i wish they didnt change the art style so much, i do still love the story tho so im gonna support it unconditionally

Absolutely. I am totally obsessed with the show it would take a lot more to put me off but I really hope they can avoid something like this happening again. If this was a permanent change I think I would struggle with it. Especially since the art and animation has been so good in the past. Just makes this even more jarring.
Oct 10, 2020 1:36 PM

Sep 2012
What can I say. I hear Kansai accent - I keep watching.
Oct 10, 2020 4:27 PM

Nov 2018
Why is everyone talking as if the first episode wasn't as bad as this one? Maybe the art wasn't as shit as this but the animation was still terrible.

ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ɪꜱ ɴᴏ ᴡᴏʀꜱᴇ ɪɢɴᴏʀᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴛʜᴀɴ ᴛʜᴀᴛ
ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴏꜱᴇ ᴡʜᴏ ᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴛʜɪɴᴋ
ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇɪʀ ᴘᴇʀꜱᴏɴᴀʟ ᴄᴏɴꜱɪᴅᴇʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴꜱ ᴀʀᴇ ᴜɴɪᴠᴇʀꜱᴀʟ ᴛʀᴜᴛʜꜱ.
Oct 10, 2020 4:37 PM

Nov 2016
Haikyuu fans should be grateful that this isn't One Piece (or any other long Runner by Toei or Pierrot)

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 10, 2020 6:22 PM
May 2020
This episode felt rushed. And tried too hard to be funny. Definitely the worse episode up to date.
Oct 10, 2020 9:22 PM

Oct 2017
Hype level 100. I love how they are still learning stuff and trying out new stuff too.
Oct 10, 2020 9:27 PM

Oct 2017
FMmatron said:
Haikyuu fans should be grateful that this isn't One Piece (or any other long Runner by Toei or Pierrot)
True that but still can't deny the fact that the artwork in this episode was bad.
Oct 10, 2020 10:28 PM
Oct 2020
Does anyone know the sountrack name during the opening of this episode? The one where Samu is talking about Tsumu?
Oct 10, 2020 10:54 PM

May 2018
Man, it was weird to see some of their faces. I know that a little studio made some part of the animation, but mannn, it still hurts.

I'm sad that some of the best moments were so poorly animated. I'd have loved to see sth more about Tsukki's block, but well...

mosam00 said:
ShoriTora said:

Well, with Aoba Josai, they had history and were in a rematch against them after their first defeat, and Shiratarizowa had been built up since like the first season/early parts of season 2, and the match against Shiratarizowa was a final so I think that explains why they had more tension. We're still only in the early stages of this match though, so I think there's still time for it to build up more.

Oh, just wait a little bit. Lack of tension won't be a problem, primarily in 2nd set
Oct 10, 2020 11:00 PM
Jun 2019
Still a good episode animation seemed to be lacking throughout hopefully this is an exception to the season.
Oct 10, 2020 11:16 PM
Jun 2016
I hope they improve the animation in next few episodes...It really looked choppy at times...kinda reminded me 7 deadly sins...
Oct 11, 2020 1:02 AM

Nov 2016
MegamiRem said:
FMmatron said:
True that but still can't deny the fact that the artwork in this episode was bad.

Yeah, but not so bad that you can't enjoy the episode.

Btw, funny how One Piece had crazy visuals this week, lol.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 11, 2020 1:18 AM

Jun 2013
I'm loving the story and the character developments in this season.
But God damn, the art and animation have really fallen off a cliff, even more so than last season. The characters look really 'off' and warped.
It's a shame, but hopefully the characters and story can carry the show here...
Oct 11, 2020 7:00 AM

Aug 2019
Well.. The animation was a bit off. I hope it'll get better by time.

Also, in this episode, there was a lot of these ''funny'' scenes. I mean, I don't dislike them, but there was just too much of them.

The pacing was also bit slower.

Overall pretty average episode.
Oct 11, 2020 12:47 PM
Jan 2018
The animation is really bad this season.Over the past few years technology for animation has evloved but looks like these guys are hand drawing it now.Compare with the latest season of SAO Haikyuu animation is literally shit
Oct 11, 2020 12:48 PM
Apr 2018
Nice episode. Full of tension for me; and Yamaguchi even got an ace. Let's goooo!!! Asahi, Hinata, Tsukki... they all got a moment to shine.

Yeah, the episode looked weird in a bad way, waaay too often.
Oct 11, 2020 2:45 PM

Sep 2013
The art was falling apart. The animation and direction covered the basis, but man the art. I really hope this won't be the standard for the rest of the season.
Oct 12, 2020 5:51 AM
Feb 2019
umm... what is going on with the animation and design... I'm losing hope, haikyuu used to be so good! hopefully they fix this soon!
Oct 12, 2020 5:17 PM
Jul 2020
The characters looked weird in some places but i think the hype made up for it. Lots of action and improvements from a lot of characters. Like when tsukishima did the really tall jump i literally held my breath

Overall really enjoyable!
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Captain_Rogers - Dec 18, 2020

197 by vit_ »»
Feb 24, 8:36 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2020

214 by vit_ »»
Feb 24, 8:06 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top 2nd Season Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2020

159 by vit_ »»
Feb 24, 6:51 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2020

94 by vit_ »»
Feb 21, 4:05 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 16, 2020

160 by vit_ »»
Feb 18, 6:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.