Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 9, 2020 10:55 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Good God, Hinata and his overreactions sometimes..

Glad to see Karasuno putting him a fight but with the score being so close and even tied at one point this episode, it can go either way. Pretty neat pacing too this episode. They really managed to capture the magic of the competition without wasting time. Phenomenal soundtrack this episode too.

Oct 9, 2020 11:01 AM

Nov 2007
Younger one not trusting older brother?

Mamo's character even reading what setter guy would do and blocked it.

Fighting back time. lol @ megane guy.

Mamo's character being marked by main guy.

Still have difficulty, though.

Main guy thinking he's better, while setter guy always thinking it's just coincidence.

Serve guy getting affected by the audience, and coach saved him.

tsubasaloverOct 9, 2020 11:31 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Oct 9, 2020 12:06 PM

Aug 2018
So Hinata doesnt need to keep depending on Kageyama for the quicks forever. There are other setters like Kageyama who can pull off the quick too. Thats interesting.

Tsukishima was pretty good today.

Their synchronized attack brought back flashbacks from the Shiratorizawa match!

And finally, service ace by Tadashi.

I feel like they can win this set but who knows. Next episode is "Broken Hearts".
Oct 9, 2020 12:12 PM
Jun 2019
is it just me or was this episode the most badly made so far. Characters looked out of proportions, a lot of it was just moving static characters and wonky animation. i hope they fix this for future episodes. It was no fun watching an episode that looked like garbage
Oct 9, 2020 12:25 PM
Oct 2020
could you please provide me the website in which you watched the latest episode
Oct 9, 2020 12:30 PM
Jun 2019
Okay, after a little more research, I found out that the episode was outsourced to 4tune(?). It was rushed and covered a greater number of chapters as compared to episode 1. It seems like the next episode will fix the pacing issue and bring back the consistent animation and characters quality of the previous episode.
Oct 9, 2020 12:30 PM
Sep 2014
I hope the next episode will be better and produced my the main studio
Oct 9, 2020 12:31 PM
May 2020
What’s up with the animation tho? It looked really bad today :(
Oct 9, 2020 12:36 PM

Nov 2016
The foreshadowing, tho.

Anyway, another nice episode, especially loved the Tsukki scenes like where he teamed up with Kageyama or him laughing over Asahi-senpai. Gold xD

And nice serve Yamaguchi, but Shimada came clutch. The cheering squad is killing it this season.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 9, 2020 12:38 PM

Oct 2017
Glad I'm not the only one that noticed the weird animation this episode. It was still enjoyable, but it was a bit off-putting. Loved that last service ace though, it's nice to see Yamaguchi grow!!
Oct 9, 2020 12:44 PM

Dec 2014
Epic episode.

All the energy in this episode was infectious, comedy was on point as well. Kageyama calling out Hinata for luck, Tsukii making fun of Hinata, teaming up with Kageyama and laughing over Asahi. Tons of gold reaction faces, top tier stuff really.

Hinata's blocking was definitely the highlight for me, the first commit block was great but what really took the cake was him blocking the cross shot and forcing the straight line shot. Nishinoya immediately picking up on it was great too.

Bokuto saying, 'these damn crows' after Asahi's point was awesome.

Yamaguchi service ace was epic.
Can't wait for more.
Oct 9, 2020 12:45 PM

Mar 2020
The animation quality dropped this episode. Yamaguchi nice serve! Looks like Tanaka and Kinoshita will get some character development in this match.
Oct 9, 2020 12:46 PM

Aug 2015
It seems that the staff was not ready for this episode. The chara designs are too often off model

and the animation seems a bit average (the synchronized attack was horrible). Hayashi's OSTs compensate, but not enough.

Otherwise, quite surprised to see 7 chapters adapted, the match is progressing rather quickly
Oct 9, 2020 12:50 PM
Mar 2017
The new episode's animation was really bad this time around. I was too distracted by the art and couldn't even focus on the episode lol. hopefully the next episode is better.
Oct 9, 2020 12:52 PM

Feb 2020
The animation was pretty bad this episode, there were some scenes which the characters were sooo bad animated
Oct 9, 2020 12:52 PM

Jun 2020
Definitely noticed a decrease in animation quality. But episode 2 had me very excited for Yamaguchi :D

minda, ya comfort bimbo at your service! ⁺ ⊹ ꒰⸝⸝´ ˘ `⸝⸝꒱ ᥫᩣ
Oct 9, 2020 12:53 PM
Sep 2015
MorallyCorrupt said:
Okay, after a little more research, I found out that the episode was outsourced to 4tune(?). It was rushed and covered a greater number of chapters as compared to episode 1. It seems like the next episode will fix the pacing issue and bring back the consistent animation and characters quality of the previous episode.

Yep, a bit disappointing since personally this is my favourite match but it was apparently just this episode that was outsourced so the rest of this season should be fine and back to normal.
Oct 9, 2020 12:54 PM
Apr 2020
I don't know about the art this episode. Felt like sometimes I could draw a scene in this episode even though I can't even draw. Like look at this: https://twitter.com/HQT0BI0/status/1314639634085756928
Oct 9, 2020 12:55 PM
Jul 2019
The worst animated Haikyuu episode this far, really disappointing...
Oct 9, 2020 12:56 PM

Mar 2020
i'm glad i'm not the only one who questioned the animation this episode.. kinda weird :/ but still a good episode in terms of content overall

❝☆ 𝗧𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗿, 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗿, 𝗺𝘆 𝘃𝗼𝗶𝗰𝗲 ☆

𝘐 𝘸𝘪𝘴𝘩 𝘐 𝘤𝘰𝘶𝘭𝘥 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘩 𝘺𝘰𝘶...

Oct 9, 2020 1:00 PM

Aug 2013
Great episode.
Karasuno have a tough match against a more experienced veteran school but that hasn't stopped them from trying their best to win.

Hinata's reactions were hilarious. And so were Tsukishima's.

Yamaguchi's serve at the end was just awesome.

Oct 9, 2020 1:00 PM

Sep 2019
I didn’t notice the animation until I saw these comments. Yeah, it was bad. I’m glad Yanaguchi improved, he finally got the result of his training.
Oct 9, 2020 1:03 PM
Sep 2015
They're so lovely, I love hq characters! Though I'm not quite not into it not because of bad episode but because the first part and second part of To the Top are several months apart, the waiting killed me.

Also, am I the only one who notice that several users use first post of their account complain about quality?
Oct 9, 2020 1:09 PM

Oct 2019
There were some good moments this episode. The highlights for me were Yamaguchi’s mental breakdown and Hinata wondering which blocker was the most annoying(Matsukawa from Aoba Johsai I think). Unfortunately, I don’t like Haikyū devolving to Devilman Crybaby animation. Even if you’re saving the budget for the cool stuff, I cannot tolerate this abysmal quality of animation. Absolutely terrible in some scenes. This is not what I expected at all. I will probably read the manga chapters this episode adapted. I’m hoping this will not continue for future eps.
This is why you don’t review a series after one episode 🤦🏻‍♂️

Edit: some people are saying the animation is outsourced- well that explains it. Petition for this ep to be reanimated
AcbSnakeDemonOct 11, 2020 6:50 PM
Oct 9, 2020 1:09 PM

Jul 2017
This episode I heard got fully outsourced animation and art wise so no wonder it looks so bad and inconsistent compared to the norm.
Oct 9, 2020 1:15 PM

Mar 2018
this episode is like 90% weird proportioned faces, discontinuity, and tired and cheap animation tactics (not animating the ball and dragging drawings rather than animating them). It's such an obvious drop in quality and makes this episode unwatchable. hopefully, its fixed in the next episode or this season will be the biggest fumble in history.
Oct 9, 2020 1:15 PM
Jul 2020
OMG WHEN TSUKISHIMA SPIKED IT AND SCORED THEM A POINT AND THEN HINATA AND YAMAGUCHI CHEERED AND SCREAMED FOR HIM AHHHH
definitely one of the highlights of my anime watching today lol

amazing episode^^
Oct 9, 2020 1:17 PM

Apr 2018
Never thought that Haikyuu would get the Mappa treatment. This episode was quite awful which is pretty disappointing since the match seems pretty interesting.
Watashi wa a victim of cyberbullying. Everyday someone online calls me a "weeb" desu. Watashi won't stand for this. 26 percent of bullying victims are chosen due to their race or religion desu. I may look like a basic white boy, but deep down I am Nihongo desu. Watashi religion is anime. Anata wa bullying me because of my race and religion desu ka? Disgusting desu. Anata should be ashamed of yourself, racist pig. A baka gaijin like anata is probably jealous of my race and culture, cause Nippon is more sugoi than your shitty country desu. Watashi pity anata. You'll never be Nihongo like watashi. Educate yourself on nani a "weeb" is.
Oct 9, 2020 1:23 PM
Sep 2017
AcbSnakeDemon said:
There could have been potentially some good moments this episode. The highlight for me would’ve been Yamaguchi’s mental breakdown and Hinata wondering which blocker was the most intimidating. Unfortunately, I don’t like Haikyū devolving to Devilman Crybaby animation. Even if you’re saving the budget for the cool stuff, I cannot tolerate this abysmal quality of animation. Absolutely terrible in some scenes. This is not what I expected at all. I will probably read the manga chapters this episode adapted. I’m hoping this will not continue for future eps.

Edit: some people are saying the animation is outsourced- well that explains it. Petition for this ep to be reanimated

They weren't saving budget, budgets not a problem for Haikyu, the episode got outsourced to a different studio because I.G. didn't feel they were prepared enough to do it, presumably a busy schedule
Oct 9, 2020 1:24 PM

Aug 2013
Oh, man. This episode was awful. Like really, really awful.

The animatian was very inconsistent and the characters were always unexplicably off-model. And, like, if the problem was just that, it would have been okay. A lot of episodes of Haikyuu didn't have amazing visuals or didn't have characters always on model. But it wasn't just that.

They adapted 7 chapters of the source material. They normally do 3 chapters. Not only that, most of these chapters have good moments that were either cut or rushed.

Hinata's ability to read the block. Tsukishima overwhelming Inarizaki. Yamaguchi's panic after losing his "reset place". Those and so many more little moments happend so fast and so unceremoniously that it felt like watching a slideshow presentation.

As a manga reader, I'm just sad. The last two episodes from last season were very good and I got my hopes up for this match. But these first episodes have been okay to awful.
Drack_wJan 1, 2022 5:28 PM
Oct 9, 2020 1:42 PM
Mar 2020
Animation and pacing were underwhelming this episode. But we're going back to the usual staff on the next one, and we've still got stuff to look forward to in this match.
And there were some nice moments in this one (like a laughing Tsukki)

In case anyone is interested in reading the manga chapters this episode covered, to get the full scoop as it were, they're from 254 to the first pages of 260.
Oct 9, 2020 1:48 PM

Feb 2013
Nice, they are leading now.
Oct 9, 2020 1:48 PM
Jan 2012
JadentheAnimeguy said:
AcbSnakeDemon said:
There could have been potentially some good moments this episode. The highlight for me would’ve been Yamaguchi’s mental breakdown and Hinata wondering which blocker was the most intimidating. Unfortunately, I don’t like Haikyū devolving to Devilman Crybaby animation. Even if you’re saving the budget for the cool stuff, I cannot tolerate this abysmal quality of animation. Absolutely terrible in some scenes. This is not what I expected at all. I will probably read the manga chapters this episode adapted. I’m hoping this will not continue for future eps.

They weren't saving budget, budgets not a problem for Haikyu, the episode got outsourced to a different studio because I.G. didn't feel they were prepared enough to do it, presumably a busy schedule
JadentheAnimeguy said:
AcbSnakeDemon said:

Makes me sad... Especially since this is supposed to be the last season and they had already delayed it due to covid. They would have had enough time to even redo it. In prior seasons, you could take a screenshot and compare it to the panel for the manga and it would look near the same for any action sequence. You can't even compare for this ep. Although they did have to incorporate a lot of chapters, timing is still off to me... I hope it only gets better.
Oct 9, 2020 1:57 PM
Apr 2019
the miya twins are the highlight of this season, absolutely love their character dynamics, can’t wait for episode 3 😭
Oct 9, 2020 1:57 PM

May 2011
This ep's scenes was so weird and disturbing =(
I felt disappointed because this match was my fav in the manga
I really hope next eps won't be like this
Oct 9, 2020 1:58 PM

Jul 2013
lmao I'm glad others noticed the bad animation...

Miya twins' quick attack was cool and a game changer. Fun seeing Karasuno have to adapt especially Hinata and Tsukishima.
Oct 9, 2020 2:02 PM
Aug 2012
MorallyCorrupt said:
is it just me or was this episode the most badly made so far. Characters looked out of proportions, a lot of it was just moving static characters and wonky animation. i hope they fix this for future episodes. It was no fun watching an episode that looked like garbage

Couldn't agree more. Which makes me sad because this episode had some pretty great momments, but was ruined by god awful animation
Oct 9, 2020 2:03 PM

Dec 2019
I loved tsukki sm in this episode :))))) I cant wait for the rest of it to b animated
Oct 9, 2020 2:12 PM
Jul 2018
Loved seeing Tsuki shine a little.

Hinata and his block lol. I love seeing him improve.

Yamaguchi little moment too was funny.
Oct 9, 2020 2:12 PM

Dec 2019
I was excited this whole episode, the comedy was on point but the animation wasn't. The has to be the worst animated Haikyuu episode

»»Delievers Here««
★・・・・・・★

"Today might be the chance to grasp
the chance to let your talent bloom" -Tooru Oikawa

-Signature from Annie_Law

Oct 9, 2020 2:19 PM

Mar 2020
MorallyCorrupt said:

If that’s true, I kid you not, this news will let me sleep tonight
Oct 9, 2020 2:26 PM

Jan 2018
Akunai said:
JadentheAnimeguy said:

JadentheAnimeguy said:

Makes me sad... Especially since this is supposed to be the last season and they had already delayed it due to covid. They would have had enough time to even redo it. In prior seasons, you could take a screenshot and compare it to the panel for the manga and it would look near the same for any action sequence. You can't even compare for this ep. Although they did have to incorporate a lot of chapters, timing is still off to me... I hope it only gets better.

Mmmm this isn't the last season.
Oct 9, 2020 2:27 PM

Aug 2020
Seeing Tsukki laugh towards the end of the episode was so adorable.
I also got very teary eyed when Shimada held up the grocery back for Yams.
I'm also happy we got to see more of Kinoshita :)

Oct 9, 2020 2:31 PM
Oct 2020
Glad, I'm not the only one who noticed the drop in quality. :(
There was waaaayy too many of those Shokugeki no Soma, static image, pan up down left right animation there (quite annoying once you start to notice this >< ).
I think the pace of the episode was all over the place and so the bad animation did not help :(

Also a mangareader here, disappointed. Hopefully next week is better...
Oct 9, 2020 2:38 PM

Nov 2018
at this rate i started to worry that are they really saving the budget for the best part.. i kinda disappointed...
Oct 9, 2020 2:38 PM
May 2020
Really good episode apart from animation. Love how Kinoshita now has a drive to be better at serves from looking at Yamaguchi's serve. Really like seeing the side characters grow and drive for a chance to play.
Tsukki turned up this episode with a serious block and a class high smash.
Just from seeing Aran And Bokuto's faces in the preview of the next episode, and the title being Broken Hearts, I really hope something bad like an injury doesn't happen to one of the Karasuno guys. I can't handle the stress!!!
Oct 9, 2020 2:43 PM
Aug 2020
I was really happy at the end when Yamaguchi was able to do the float serve! :)

The animation for this episode was kind of weird though. There were a lot of low quality animation moments throughout the episode. Wonder if that'll keep up throughout the other episodes in the future.
Oct 9, 2020 2:53 PM

May 2015
This was awful. I am very disappointed with the quality of this episode.
Awful graphics, almost no animation, terrible rhythm, that was an insult to Haikyuu.

If it wasn't Haikyuu, I would have dropped it at the middle of the episode.
Oct 9, 2020 3:05 PM

Mar 2020
Hinata seems to be learning new things during games..........not surprised.

This episode wasn't as entertaining or as flashy as it usually is however I still was entertained however if it doesn't bring backs it's amazing animation then Haikyuu will be in trouble. Please bring me the good stuff next episode.

Oct 9, 2020 3:11 PM

Oct 2011
The art and animation literally hurt my eyes. Couldn't even focus on the actual episode. I hope it gets better
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Captain_Rogers - Dec 18, 2020

197 by vit_ »»
Feb 24, 8:36 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 11, 2020

214 by vit_ »»
Feb 24, 8:06 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top 2nd Season Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2020

159 by vit_ »»
Feb 24, 6:51 AM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2020

94 by vit_ »»
Feb 21, 4:05 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!!: To the Top 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 16, 2020

160 by vit_ »»
Feb 18, 6:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.