Forum Settings
Forums

Microsoft’s Bethesda deal is a $7.5 billion part of its plan to crush Sony

New
Sep 21, 2020 8:36 PM

Jan 2009
Microsoft (MSFT) on Monday announced plans to acquire video game giant Bethesda’s parent company ZeniMax Media, one of the world’s most important gaming firms, for a whopping $7.5 billion. The publisher of franchises ranging from “The Elder Scrolls” and “Doom” to “Wolfenstein” and “Fallout,” ZeniMax’s titles are some of the most storied in the industry.

To say that Microsoft’s latest acquisition is a coup for the gaming powerhouse is an understatement. It not only adds 8 new studios to the company’s empire, bringing the total to 23, but, more importantly, ensures that ZeniMax’s titles will appear on Microsoft’s Xbox Game Pass subscription service the same day they hit the market. Titles from third-party developers often don’t make it to Game Pass until months after their initial release.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/microsoft-bethesda-deal-plan-to-crush-sony-192035782.html

oh shit goodbye Quake and Doom? ye maybe not really - Obama lol
Sep 22, 2020 2:35 AM
May 2009
Not really a problem for me, As most bethesda games in the last 5 years have been absolute bug ridden crap. And the IPs that made it a brand I recognise like fallout has gone to shit.
Maybe Microsoft taking control is a good thing, Maybe finally we can get some quality control and a decent game for once and not some rehashed crap running on the same engine.

Sep 22, 2020 3:08 AM
Jul 2018
Sony needs to buy Konami
Sep 22, 2020 3:43 AM

Jul 2016
Korishi said:
Sony needs to buy Konami

This. It's not so much for the studio itself but if Sony has access to Konami IPs, like MGS, Silent Hill, Castlevania, they can do some really great things with it.

On topic: I believe I read that some Bethesda franchises will be available to all platforms but that will be decided on case by case basis. I think it's reasonable to expect their biggest games like TES, Starfield and Fallout to be on Playstation too (maybe not necessarily at launch, like with PC and Xbox) but in regards to their other franchises, I think they will be Xbox/PC only.

It's also known that Sony will be doing aggressive exclusivity deals next gen too. They apparently approached literally all of the developers (Bethesda included) and they got a lot of time-exclusivity or exclusive content deals. I do think though that most of Sony's deals will be with their usual partners, like Rockstar, maybe From Software.
Sep 22, 2020 3:47 AM
Jul 2018
SteelBallGyro said:
Korishi said:
Sony needs to buy Konami

This. It's not so much for the studio itself but if Sony has access to Konami IPs, like MGS, Silent Hill, Castlevania, they can do some really great things with it.

its more of a meme lol but would be nice if Konami were forced to do cool things again.
Sony could probably just do nothing and still be fine while Microsoft keeps having to react to stay relevant. Nintendo still the gold standard here.
Sep 22, 2020 4:11 AM

Jun 2016
I always played bethesda games on PC so it doesn't matter
Korishi said:
SteelBallGyro said:

its more of a meme lol but would be nice if Konami were forced to do cool things again.
Sony could probably just do nothing and still be fine while Microsoft keeps having to react to stay relevant. Nintendo still the gold standard here.

I miss good konami games. Just as I miss good bethesda games now that I think about it.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 22, 2020 5:44 AM

Sep 2020
Hopefully, the games won't be exclusive to Xbox cause right now I can't have both.
Sep 22, 2020 6:50 AM

Apr 2011
Yeah, no. Not after the last 2 years that Bethesda has had.
Sep 22, 2020 9:00 AM
Jul 2018
Theo1899 said:
I always played bethesda games on PC so it doesn't matter
Korishi said:

I miss good konami games. Just as I miss good bethesda games now that I think about it.

maybe Microsoft will make sure the games aren't broken at launch now lol

and yeah hopefully some Konami IPs get better treatment in the future even if they have to sell them, they can carry on with their pachinko stuff
Sep 22, 2020 9:36 AM

Aug 2012
So what your saying is Fallout 5 might not be on PS5 or PS4? PC money saved up just incase.
Sep 22, 2020 10:36 AM
Unicorn Lover

Mar 2019
SteelBallGyro said:

[...]
It's also known that Sony will be doing aggressive exclusivity deals next gen too.
[...]

Aye, easily visible with the mess that is Marvel's Avengers, LMAO
Don't know how to answer my post? Just click
on "Quick Reply" and mention me with @Karasian

★彡[ᴘᴜʀᴘʟᴇ ꜱᴜᴘᴇʀɪᴏʀɪᴛʏ]彡★
Sep 22, 2020 1:00 PM
Jul 2018
Fuck current Bethesda, I'm just waiting on Once Lost Games Indie Devs (ex-Daggerfall creators) and their current project (TESII: Daggerfall) spiritual successor.

removed-userSep 23, 2020 9:58 AM
Sep 22, 2020 5:03 PM

Dec 2014
Funny how people now think Sony is the underdog when in reality Microsoft just barely managed to level the playing field with its Zenimax purchase...
Sep 23, 2020 1:42 AM

Jul 2015
imagine bethesda titles, but not buggy because it was developed by competent microsoft devs.
if its going to be anything like what microsoft did with minecraft bedrock edition, then consider me optimistic.
Sep 23, 2020 2:15 AM
May 2009
Thing with Microsoft is I would rather just get a new PC or Laptop, due to its multi-functionality, and cheaper PC games than the new console. since most Microsoft Xbox games will eventually if not on the same day be made available on PC due to the whole Crossplay thing they were promoting.

Also if the game still keeps its infamous bethesda day one bugs. Atleast the PC Community may come to the rescue with mods that you don't need to pay for.
shintai88Sep 23, 2020 7:41 AM
Sep 23, 2020 6:51 AM

Jun 2011
Hell Yeah, dude!
Sep 23, 2020 8:19 PM

Jul 2012
I'm just curious to know what's going to happen with Deathloop. Since it was a timed exclusive for PS5 and published by Bethesda is it going to lose the timed exclusive status. Or since the developer is Arkane Studios will Microsoft essentially own a publisher for a competitors exclusive product for a few months but not be able to use it on the XSeX or Windows.
Sep 24, 2020 10:34 AM
Jul 2018
I want them to buy Sega next just to see the pure chaos it would unleashed when Persona comes to Xbox. :)
Sep 24, 2020 10:35 AM
Jul 2018
Korishi said:
Sony needs to buy Konami
Keep dreaming. And I thought a ton of Sony fans were saying exclusive were bad.
Sep 24, 2020 12:01 PM

Nov 2011
This is one of the biggest gaming acquistions in recent memory. What Microsoft did here is more than just acquire the parent studio Zenimax.

From that purchase, they're going to get access to all of their acquired IPs, game engines, their past/present/future games to Game Pass, and seriously bring leverge to the Xbox ecosystem. I heard that their future games will be based on "case by case" basis but I wouldn't be surprised if a game like Starfield ended up being a console exclusive.

I'm still getting the PS5 though but somewhere down the line, I may be getting an Xbox Series S given how affordable it is.
Sep 24, 2020 12:54 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
GamerDLM said:
I'm just curious to know what's going to happen with Deathloop. Since it was a timed exclusive for PS5 and published by Bethesda is it going to lose the timed exclusive status. Or since the developer is Arkane Studios will Microsoft essentially own a publisher for a competitors exclusive product for a few months but not be able to use it on the XSeX or Windows.
Microsoft said they'll honor the deal since it was done before they bought Bethesda. So Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo are still PS5 exclusives. (at least for a limited time i guess)
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Sep 24, 2020 6:49 PM
Mar 2011
Salvatia said:
imagine bethesda titles, but not buggy because it was developed by competent microsoft devs.
if its going to be anything like what microsoft did with minecraft bedrock edition, then consider me optimistic.

Hello rare said hi
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 26, 2020 6:16 AM

Apr 2013
Honestly it feels like Microsoft treats the game studios under them waaaay better than Bethesda currently does. Bethesda has become a mess right now. So it may actually become a pretty good thing on the long run, we'll have to see.
As for the titles not being available on Sony platforms after this... Sorry to not feel sorry, I play on PC anyway, and titles on Microsoft console usually get released on PC relatively easily. Can't say the same for titles first developed for Sony consoles.
Sep 26, 2020 8:05 AM

Feb 2010
as far as my opinion on console wars Nintendo's already won in my opinion. they literally have the shin megami series

SteelBallGyro said:
Korishi said:
Sony needs to buy Konami

This. It's not so much for the studio itself but if Sony has access to Konami IPs, like MGS, e.

honestly some one needs to buy the Azure dream IP form Konami it's a very good game that i feel was ahead of it's time.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Sep 26, 2020 3:00 PM

Sep 2007
So, I've never owned a PlayStation, but it seems like Sony is going more for exclusivity while Xbox has Game Pass and Nintendo has...portability? I mean, to me, the PlayStation seems like a closed ecosystem. Last I heard, they don't even have cross-platform play. No wonder Sony is getting left in the dust.

Sep 27, 2020 9:21 AM

Apr 2015
Sony lost all of my goodwill with their undisclosed censorship policies and double standards; If Microsoft announces exclusivity of all Bethesda games I would begin playing the world's smallest violin.

The only possible issue that I have are possible delays in PC releases however Microsoft has been oddly nice to PC players lately.
Sep 28, 2020 2:18 PM

Sep 2014
All in all this buyout is a good thing imo.
Microsoft has done away with "console exclusive" stuff, so you'll still be able to play these on PC if you don't have an Xbox
This gives Xbox owners some big titles to look forward to, and also thickens up Gamepass lineup

Also with all this money Bethesda got, as well as Microsoft on their side we may finally get some more polished games from them!

Even if you don't have or want an Xbox you can still play them on PC so nothing will be lost methinks.

Nek0 said:
So, I've never owned a PlayStation, but it seems like Sony is going more for exclusivity while Xbox has Game Pass and Nintendo has...portability? I mean, to me, the PlayStation seems like a closed ecosystem. Last I heard, they don't even have cross-platform play. No wonder Sony is getting left in the dust.

I'd argue Nintendo has the real exclusives. Sony has some big hits but nothing Xbox OR Sony has comes anywhere close to Mario, Donkey Kong, Pokemon, Zelda etc etc
TwinBee20Sep 28, 2020 2:22 PM
Sep 28, 2020 10:00 PM

Aug 2018
SteelBallGyro said:
Korishi said:
Sony needs to buy Konami

On topic: I believe I read that some Bethesda franchises will be available to all platforms but that will be decided on case by case basis. I think it's reasonable to expect their biggest games like TES, Starfield and Fallout to be on Playstation too (maybe not necessarily at launch, like with PC and Xbox) but in regards to their other franchises, I think they will be Xbox/PC only.

It's also known that Sony will be doing aggressive exclusivity deals next gen too. They apparently approached literally all of the developers (Bethesda included) and they got a lot of time-exclusivity or exclusive content deals. I do think though that most of Sony's deals will be with their usual partners, like Rockstar, maybe From Software.
Yea the only thing you'll get is pro evolution soccer... Konami is ass

More topics from this board

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

30 by Kajiuran »»
13 minutes ago

» What's the best handheld console you recommend?

CursedFein - Apr 20

6 by rohan121 »»
4 hours ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

9 by Timeline_man »»
4 hours ago

» Are We Headed For Another Video Game Crash?

Retro8bit - Mar 15

14 by Timeline_man »»
4 hours ago

» Favorite gaming cover art?

_Nette_ - Today

1 by Zettaiken »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.