Forum Settings
Forums

Who are some mangaka you've read multiple stories from? And how did they stack up to one another?

New
Sep 12, 2020 9:52 PM

Feb 2017
I haven't double dipped much lol. I've read Fire Punch and am reading Chainsaw Man and I really like both of them. I also read Emma and started reading Otoyomegatari recently and like both as well. So I've only branched out for two authors so far, Mori and Fujimoto.

Also there's another couple of authors I picked up an anime they wrote the manga for after initially reading a different manga from them. I started watching ACCA 13 after reading Not Simple. I'm probably going to read more by Natsume Ono as well, I like the vibe I get from her series.
And I'm watching Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru after reading Tengoku Daimakyou. I ended up liking SoreMachi quite a bit more out of the two though.

So pretty much who are some authors you've checked out a few things from? And have there been any cases where you like one thing they've done but hated another?
Sep 12, 2020 11:46 PM

Jun 2016
I read 3 Mori Kouji manga. They are all about survival, a bit of coming-of-age and finding ourselves. I really resonate with Holyland and Jisatsutou because they have a strong sense of existentialism I like that he keeps it real and really engaging the whole time. Also the author notes are pretty relatable to me. It is rare when I relate to the author than the series. But I didn't see any of that in Destroy and Revolution, which was why I dropped it. I still have a hope for his new manga, Sousei no Taiga, to be at least half as good as Jisatsutou.
Sep 12, 2020 11:55 PM

Oct 2015
asano inio, jiro taniguchi, junji ito, kaitani shinbou, all of which have distinct styles that they could be proud of and well enough very consistent. I actually have a hard time believing a lot of people settle to only punpun for asano inio when most of his works are equally great.

i read most of asano's works apart from dddd which im planning to read after ending, but i reread them a lot
Sep 14, 2020 7:52 AM

Nov 2019
Rumiko Takahashi. There's two manga of hers that got me into manga. Even though I dropped one of them, it was due to my overwhelming PTR list, and my needed break from reading manga.
Sep 14, 2020 10:18 AM

Apr 2018
Kunirou,Tsubana and Nihei. I don't like Nihei's recent works though since I like the atmosphere of his older works. While Tsubana's works tend to be yuri-sh nowadays which I am not really fond of. Whan I find an interesting manga, I usually try the other manga from its author so there are so many mangaka whose multiple works I read, but these three are my favorite mangaka.
Sep 14, 2020 10:53 AM

Aug 2016
I read most of Hiroyuki's manga's because the humor in "Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to" really hooked me in, so i started taking interest in his other works.

I have also read alot of Araki Hirohiko's work becaus you know "Jojo" xd

There also a good amount of other artist i have found interest in, but would take to long write everything down

Sep 14, 2020 11:55 AM
Dec 2017
Karoi Yuki alot of her stories shares the same themes and concepts like tragedy,loss,love and death. They also have some really good if not confusing and cluttered look to them.

Sep 14, 2020 12:01 PM

Aug 2014
Man, there's more than a few, but some of them that had me feeling some type of way are Asano Inio, Inoue Takehiko, Clamp and Oku Hiroya.

Asano comes in with them harsh stories mostly about everyday life and a lot of them are on the mark. Really should get back to Dead Dead Demon to see how that developed since it seemed like it could become the most interesting one of his works.
Inoue is Inoue with Real and Slam Dunk and some parts of Vagabond I actually liked. Oku Hiroya's my man, that's all I'm gonna say on that.

Clamp can go fuck themselves tho. Mostly consistent at being wildly inconsistent in quality across the story of almost every one of their work individually.
Sep 14, 2020 1:20 PM
Community Mod
+ Manga DB Staff

Feb 2017
There are quite a lot of manga that I've read that were created by the same mangaka.

First off, there's Yoshitoki Ooima, which is one of my favourite author. She created two of my favourite manga, being Koe no Katachi and Fumetsu no Anata e. They are both amazing and beautiful manga. She really knows how to create amazing atmospheres in her works.

Another mangaka which I have read multiple works from, and another one of my favourite author is Satoshi Mizukami. He has such a unique artsyle and his stories are always so original and creative. Some of the works I've read from him include Hoshi no Samidare, Sengoku Youko, Spirit Circle, and the currently publishing Saihate no Solte. Most of his manga are amazing, and are always such a joy to read.

There is also Toshiya Wakabayashi, which is also one of my favourite mangaka. I first discovered them through Tsurezure Children, and I simply loved their artsyle and humour. They write great comedies, in particular romantic comedies, as seen with Tsurezure Children. Some of their other works that I've read include Boku wa Ohimesama ni Narenai and Yuuko-san wa Miraretai. Personally, most of their works are not as good as Tsurezure Children, but they still have great comedy and a recognizable artsyle that I love.

I've also read a few works from Tokio Shima, who, like Toshiya Wakabayashi, has a distinct artsyle and writes absolutely adorable romantic comedies. I've read Bocchi na Bokura no Renai Jijou, Armor Amour, and 7-jikanme no Note. I'm also planning to read Gemini wa Otoshigoro at some point.

I also really love manga from Matcha Hazuki. They have such an adorable artsyle, and all of their stories are simply heartwarming. The works I've read from them are Boku ga Boku de Aru Tame ni., Isshuukan Friends., and Kimi to Kamihikooki to.

Another noteworthy mangaka is Souichirou Yamamoto, who writes really good slice of life comedies, though he particularly excels in romantic comedies. Manga I've read from him include Fudatsuki no Kyouko-chan, Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san, and Soredemo Ayumu wa Yosetekuru. Personally, I find that his non-romance works (such as Kunoichi Tsubaki no Mune no Uchi and Ashita wa Doyoubi) aren't as good as his romance manga, but they are still pretty fun manga.

Of course, I shouldn't forget the amazing duo of Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata, where I've read Bakuman, Platinum End, and Death Note.

There are more mangaka that I've read multiple stories from, such as namo (Cuprum no Hanayome, Ookami Shounen wa Kyou mo Uso wo Kasaneru), Aka Akasaka (ib: Instant Bullet, Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai), Yuzuchiri (Himeno-chan ni Koi wa Mada Hayai, Ninja Shinobu-san no Junjou), and Nene Yukimori (Kubo-san wa Mob wo Yurusanai, Ningen ni Koi shita Oni wa Warau), but the mangaka that I've mentioned above are definitely the most noteworthy for me.
Sep 14, 2020 11:23 PM

Dec 2019
Takahashi, Rumiko - I've read Inuyasha, some of Ranma ½, and I got just under halfway of Kyoukai no Rinne before putting it on hold. I'd rank them as follows:
1. Inuyasha - It's got everything - drama, romance, comedy, tragedy. There are so many lovable characters and they're all very unique. There's a serious story in the background but there's still time for laughs. You get emotional about the love story and you can be torn by Inuyasha and his feelings towards Kikyo (his soulmate back from the dead) and Kagome (Kikyo's reincarnation). The setting is filled with religion and mythology, mostly Buddhist-influenced and it's all very exciting. 10/10
2. Kyoukai no Rinne - It's an episodic comedy. It's pretty fun for a light read but that's it. I'm not overly attached to the characters and there's no drama (at least as far as I got anyway).
3. Ranma ½ - It's also sort of an episodic comedy but there is plot movement. It reminds me a lot of other works during the 80s-90s and can feel a bit dated/tired nowadays I think.

Natsume, Isaku
1. Hanakoi Tsurane - Manga about two students at a performance school who come from well-respected kabuki families. It's cute and I love the cultural references.
2. Heart no Kakurega - Very cute, very sweet story, especially volume 1. It's about a a group of neighbours living in a small villa complex with a few of them getting paired up.
3. Ameiro Paradox - About a photographer/reporter duo who end up together. Another cute story.

Yamamoto, Kotetsuko
I've also read a lot of stories by this lady. They're okay. I do like Omairi Desu Yo and Honto Yajuu, as well as her baseball mangas but sometimes I think some of her male characters are a bit too feminine or delicate for me.
Sep 15, 2020 11:07 AM

Mar 2019
Rumiko Takahashi:

Ranma 1/2 is my absolute favorite- a fun comedy-romance with lots of gender bender ridiculous fun. I don't often recommend it because of its age, but the art, storytelling, and comedy of the manga is on-point for me.

Kyoukai no rinneis a great slice-of life comedy as long as you don't expect too much from it. I personally got pretty invested to the point it made my favorites list, but objectively it's a rather average series.

Maison Ikkoku is a stunning, more adult romcom. I thoroughly enjoyed the writing, and the character development was very well done. But compared to her other works, I find this one of the most forgettable.

Inuyasha is her most popular work, and I think it's alright. I adore the anime, but I think the manga drags on far too much.

Urusei Yatsura is a definitely dated slice-of-life comedy. I don't care too much for the characters and art, and much prefer the anime adaptation. Lum is a great waifu, though.

Mermaid Saga is one of her shorter works, a basic concept but with a few well-done stories. It got turned into a decent-ish anime adaptation. The series would have had potential if it ever went on longer.

Maois her newest series, and in my opinion completely underrated... or perhaps misunderstood? As long as you ignore Inuyasha and come into Mao with a fresh mind, it's shaping up to be a very clever long running shonen. the art is definitely a decrease of quality, though.

Hiro Mashima:

Fairy Tail it's... alright, I could never really get into it but I did appreciate what it did.

Edens Zero is his newest work, a genuinely interesting space adventure shonen. Definitely overshadowed by Fairy Tail.

Togashi:

Hunter x Hunter a great manga that just doesn't have closure. I'd dare say the anime is a better adaptation, because Togashi's art and and panel layout just got worse and worse.

Yu Yu Hakusho is incredible in every sense of the word. A definite recommend.
Oct 21, 2020 8:33 AM

Apr 2016
There is a lot of mangakas whom I've liked one of their manga and check at least another but the few mangakas that I checked more than 2 number up to three (Inoue is an exception) :

- Urasawa Naoki is my favorite author, I've only completed 3 of his completed series (Monster, 20th Century Boys and Pluto) all of which were extremely good, I also read the Anthology Kushami (not accepted as a MAL entry unfortunately) and I'm up to date with his new on-going series Asadora. I also have all the Happy! volumes but haven't read them yet.
He's really consistent and his story-telling abilities are out of the roof.

- Asano Inio is a really interesting author, other people in this thread mentioned him and said all there is to say so I'll just mention what I read : Oyasumi Punpun, Solanin and Girl on the Shore.
He does a lot of one-shots so it's easy to get into his universe through multiple settings, I think I'm gonna get into his on-going series, his 2nd longest one, DDDD, I'm sure it'll be a ride.

- Inoue Takehiko I only read two of his mangas (have yet to read Real) but both Slam Dunk and Vagabond are masterpieces and no doubt Real is great. Everything he does is masterful.

Now to list off all the authors of which I read at least 2 series they made :

- Fujimoto Tatsuki (Fire Punch, Chainsaw Man)
- Ohba/Obata duo (Death Note, Platinum End)
- Oima Yoshitoki (Koe no Katachi, Fumetsu no Anata he)
- Inagaki Riichiro (Eyeshield 21, Dr Stone)
- Robico (Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Boku to Kimi no Taisetsu na Hanashi)

Looking forward to reading more Oshimi Shuzo's works (I'm up to date with Chi no Wadachi) like Hapiness and Aku no Hana.
Oct 21, 2020 8:51 AM

Sep 2020
Ive done so twice so far...

Hiro Mashima with Rave and Edens Zero
Jun Mayuzuki with After the Rain and Kowloon Generic Romance

Ive liked their first works (Rave and After the Rain) more than their most recent. Stories were better, but I also understand that their recent works aren't even finished yet so I hold a final judgement until the end.
Oct 25, 2020 1:08 PM

Dec 2008
I think I find an author, and then progress through most of their works. Here's a few…

Toriyama Akira - Dr. Slump, Dragon Ball

Wakaki Tamiki - The World God Only Knows, Kekkon Surutte hontou desu ka? (seems interesting)

Urasawa Naoki - Yawara, Monster, 20th/21st Century Boys, Pluto, Billy Bat

Takahashi Rumiko - Maison Ikkoku, Urusei Yatsura (only read two volumes, might not continue), Ranma 1/2 (I skipped this when I was a youngin', but I'm working on correcting the mistake)

Asano Inio – Oyasumi Punpun, Solanin

Otomo Katsuhiro - Domu, Akira

Higashimura Akiko - Kuragehime, Kakukaku Shikajika
Oct 26, 2020 2:45 AM

Jul 2019
Sandrowich Yabako. He has written How Heavy are the Dumbbells you lift and Kengan Ashura. Dumbbell is comedy, slice of life type of anime while Kengan is action. They both do share the same universe which is nice.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

378 by Hexcellion »»
11 hours ago

» From all the ongoing (and on hiatus) manga, you can choose only one to eventually reach a conclusion. Which one would it be?

Caciulacdlac - Apr 10

5 by nishant0 »»
Today, 1:00 AM

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

21 by nishant0 »»
Today, 12:50 AM

» Do you guys pick up completed axed manga.

zkl_ - Feb 28

13 by bucciest »»
Yesterday, 11:27 PM

Poll: » What is your favorite shounen arc?

HM0710 - Sep 6, 2021

17 by Rhaelynne »»
Yesterday, 9:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.