Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 30, 2020 1:04 PM

Oct 2017
Hellooo_Theeree said:
BNHA fanboi definitely gonna cancel me.
If BNHA wasn't made by Studio Bones, but instead by other studios who probably gonna overuse bad CG animation for every fight scene. It will never get this popularity, let alone getting 5th season because fanboi just overhyping this series to the roof.
Other than the animation, BNHA story basically the same as other generic shonen.

Honestly I feel like BNHA story is even more generic than the average shonen.
Naruto (the manga, not anime with 23214125 fillers) for example, tells a more exciting / compelling story than this.

The latest arc (and the previous 2 arcs too!) of BNHA manga is sooo generic / boring , it's like I'm watching a b rated superhero movie made by the west. (Oh wait, maybe this is exactly what BNHA author is trying to aim cuz he clearly wants to attract western audience the most lolz). There's 0 creativity and excitement.

Honestly I'm not really surprised though. The BNHA author's previous work Kōhei Horikoshi has been cut down from Jump pretty early due to its super generic/ boring direction. (Yeah I watched it before even watching BNHA. Most BNHA fans probably didn't even know his work before BNHA became an anime) His new work BNHA is not that much different in terms of storytelling, but this time he uses topic that's way more appealing to the normal young audience, especially the west. Bones' animation and reputation also help immensely too.
Ventus_SAug 30, 2020 1:13 PM
Aug 30, 2020 1:42 PM

Dec 2019
Even in it's most abstract forms, anime is still ultimately a story-telling medium. While the animation quality factors into the overall quality of a show, amazing animation will not save a show with a poorly written and/or poorly architected story in my opinion.

On a related note, I think runtime is a significant factor in considering how much animation quality, or production quality in general, can boost the potential enjoyment level of a show. Movies and short series (usually) require less mental effort to process, and as a result, I think, get more value out of good production. You have less time to get annoyed/worn out by bad writing which might otherwise cancel out your enjoyment of the overall production. I think Promare is a good example of this. Its story isn't particularly complex or original, but it's good enough, and short enough, that the amazing production quality is able to carry it.
I occasionally write blog posts and reviews.
Aug 30, 2020 2:02 PM

Jun 2019
Yeah totally! At least for me that is. I truly believe good visuals and good storytelling are intrinsically related. All you're doing when watching anime is looking at characters on a screen, so if I don't like what I'm seeing I drop it.

Animation is the number one priority on the mind of the production team, so if they can't do that right you can be certain that everything else will be average as well.
DsMasterBRAug 30, 2020 2:17 PM
Aug 30, 2020 2:16 PM
Jan 2019
No, if an anime is bad then it’s bad. I don’t care how pretty it looks or what. Sure good animation is nice and better to watch anime with. But if the story is ugly, then the animation is ugly too.
Aug 30, 2020 2:28 PM

Dec 2017
Mostly not. I mean, sure it has great animation, but would you really suffer to watch some anime with a boring/bad plot just because it looks nice? I wouldn't, with some exceptions.
im hungry

Aug 30, 2020 2:50 PM
May 2019
No if only thing good about anime is animation it's going to be boring to watch.
For me the most important part of anime are characters and story.
Aug 30, 2020 2:56 PM

Oct 2018
"Can good animation really saves bad anime?"
No.

Best example I know of:
Violet Evergarden. Great animation, terrible anime.

2 out of 10 stars, do not recommend.
████████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀███████
██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀██████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████
████░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░████
████░░▄██████████░░░░░░██▀░░░▀██▄░░████
████░░███████████░░░░░░█▄░░▀░░▄██░░████
█████░░▀▀███████░░░██░░░██▄▄▄█▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░░▄▄▀░░░████░░░▀▄▄░░░░░██████
█████░░░░░█▄░░░░░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░█▄░░░█████
█████░░░▀▀█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀██▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░▀█▄░░█░░█░░░█░░█▄▀░░░░██▀▀▀▀
▀░░░▀██▄░░░░░░▀▀█▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▀▀░░░░▄█▀░░░▄▄
▄▄▄░░░▀▀██▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄███░░░▄██▄
██████▄▄░░▀█████▀█████▀██████▀▀░░▄█████
██████████▄░░▀▀█▄░░░░░▄██▀▀▀░▄▄▄███▀▄██
Aug 30, 2020 5:00 PM
Dec 2017
Sort of. Good animation can make the anime more enjoyable but any other flaws that may exist are still there and, in some cases, they're still pretty noticeable. For example, Diabolik Lovers had good art and animation from what I remember. I still like it (because I'm into vampires) but there are some serious issues with the anime as a whole. Seriously, almost every character in this anime is hard to like and the plot is understandable but needs some work. So, yeah, good animation can only do so much. It can make a good anime into a great anime but it'll probably only make a bad anime into a bad anime with good animation (or a decent one at most).
Aug 30, 2020 8:26 PM

Dec 2017
Also, don't forget about Uchiage Hanabi, a 2017 film made by Shaft, was overhyped for being the next "Kimi no Na Wa", turns out it was shit, the story not understandable, but at least it's a little bearable because it has a good quality visual and animation.
Aug 30, 2020 8:35 PM

Oct 2017
It doesn't save or redeem it, but it might make my rating a digit higher.
Aug 30, 2020 8:56 PM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
To an extent, yes. I would've given Violet Evergarden a 4-5/10 if not for the art alone. Not to conflate both art and animation (which seems to be done all the time), because the animation is just above-average, but the artwork is phenomenal.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 30, 2020 11:20 PM

Oct 2010
It sure saved kimetsu no yaiba and violeta evergarden. Still, it's nice to watch such a cool animation and artstyle even if the story was comical and anger inducing.
Aug 31, 2020 7:18 PM

Aug 2010
No, the animation does not affect my enjoyment on series I disliked.

Animation Quality forms only 20% of my judging criteria when it comes rating Anime Titles.

20% is definitely not enough to save the other 80% which include Plot, Character Development, Sound, and Presentation.
Post Office
Collection
Hall of Fame
Aug 31, 2020 7:23 PM

Aug 2016
Nah, it just makes the shitty anime pretty to look at, which is better than a bad-looking shitty anime, I suppose.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Aug 31, 2020 8:03 PM

Aug 2018
No, bad anime is bad even with perfect animation. Bad animation but great anime is still a great anime, animation doesnt really matter to me at all, but good animation is always a bonus!

Aug 31, 2020 9:14 PM

Jun 2020
To be honest, an anime should have good animation and most of the time saves bad anime. For example,
- Berserk 2016
The manga is amazing, best plot and amazing art but the adaption ruins it.
Aug 31, 2020 9:17 PM

Apr 2020
You could have the prettiest anime ever but I'll still drop it if it ain't good. I can watch YouTube clips or gifs if I wanna see the pretty parts.
Aug 31, 2020 9:43 PM
Dec 2019
No it doesn't.There are some anime with very good animation but terrible plot and i can't bear to watch it.
Aug 31, 2020 11:40 PM

Aug 2020
Animation quality is like a cherry on top. If it's a beautiful, juicy, bright, delicious red cherry then fantastic. But it can't save a pile of shit below it. Likewise, even if you have the most wondrously tasty cake, if it has a cherry-sized ball of shit on top of it you might just throw out the cake even if it's otherwise good. Or maybe you scrape off the part of the cake where the shitball was and try to ignore it.

And then we have Berserk 2017, a shit cherry on top of a shit cake.
As long as the Sun, Moon, and the Earth exist, everything will be all right.
Aug 31, 2020 11:55 PM

Aug 2020
I still gave the third season of Seven Deadly Sins a decent score because of the story. Not because of the animation. Just because the animation is bad doesn't mean you should give an anime a bad score. I enjoyed it regardless of the bad animation.
Aug 31, 2020 11:59 PM

Apr 2013
Hmm I tend to "No", because I have some anime with fine animation with a low score in my list. But the ones with really good animation are usually high-rated by me, but I think that's simply because they are genuinely good and not because of the aesthetics.
Sep 1, 2020 3:53 AM

Feb 2019
If the anime has an awesome story but shitty animation I wouldn't enjoy it, just revolting.
Vice versa, if it looks pretty but the writing is trash it wouldn't be enjoyable either.
Sep 1, 2020 4:16 AM
Jul 2018
Visual storytelling is incredibly important in anime,however,the story is what the animation relies on.Good story can save bad animation but good animation can't save a bad story
Sep 1, 2020 4:30 AM

Apr 2020
No, it can only enhance my enjoyment of an anime I already enjoy watching somewhat. If I find it boring and don't care, nothing can save it, not even music.

God of Highschool this season is a great example, a 1/10 despite good animation and sometimes phenomenal action choreography. The magic of sakuga wears off fast if that's the only thing an anime has going for it.
Sep 1, 2020 4:37 AM
Sep 2018
Not always like for example, Weathering With You had such beautiful graphics but the story was out the window so that made me hugely disappointed and thought of it as a "bad but should've been improved" anime. It has always been more than just the gorgeous art.
Sep 1, 2020 5:05 AM

Dec 2015
Even in action shows, animation doesn't "save" bad anime. People don't understand that in order to an action scene fully work, the viewer must care at least about some stake in that fight, and animation/OST are just tools to enhance the tension. The reason why Shingeki no Kyojin is a masterpiece is because they gave an immense ammount of care into the stakes of a scene (and it's the main reason I don't like Rod Reiss titan battle, but that's for another discussion). And it's the same reason why shows like you mention (War of Underworld, God of Highschool) are completely terrible. While God of Highschool just give extremely generic stakes, War of Underworld arc is a complete mess in terms of plot, and everyone becames more powerful by just having a strong confidence (the whole Incarnation bullshit, which is essentially an excuse for the author insert anything at anytime to the battle to look more cool).
BetterTasteSep 1, 2020 5:08 AM
Sep 1, 2020 5:28 AM
Jan 2018
Visuals do improve overall experience to an extent i think, because if not then what's the point of making a Anime adaption when the story alone is the indicative of raw enjoyment. Its a heavily debatable point because people flaunting rich taste solely based on story projection is not something i could comprehend. There are always exceptions and variation in this matter and it is impossible to conceptualize a single answer as Yes or No. Enjoyment through this media is not a Binary experience, it holds numerous intermediate stages and hence its reasonable why we have a scale of 1 to 10. And I could even argue that it should be more profile so it enables people to give a far more precise score based on their interpretation. So this poll with 2 choices is a faulty implemented questionnaire. There are instances of a positive general opinion about shows with somewhat mediocre storylines and appealing visuals and vice versa. Ultimately there is no evidently Correct or Incorrect answer for this question but there is if we generalize the viewers according to there perspectives.
Subjectivity is a joke on MAL. If you implicitly bring in subjectivity in your counter argument, you've already lost the debate. Also this website is a fankid infestation , have pity on those kids by ignoring there quotes as they have absolutely no clue what exactly is going on.
Sep 1, 2020 5:33 AM

Nov 2016
Depends on what the series is trying to achieve and where the problems are at.

Great animation in a series that's action focussed can actually salve it and make it at least worth watching. So my answer would be yes. But in case of let's say Guilty Crown, no amount of nice production was able to change my mind. It was too overambitious for it's own good.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 1, 2020 5:33 AM
Aug 2018
not for me, no. an awful story, awful jokes, awful characters etc can't be helped by a pretty art style or fluid animation :) it's like putting a glazed cherry on top of a dumspster.
Sep 1, 2020 5:34 AM
Jan 2018
Erwin_Danchou said:
well watch the new season of SAO u will get the answer that shit is shit no matter how much u decorate it
Funny, i am being pestered by my friends to catch up to SAO just because the new seasons are good looking. I was considering it until i read your post. Time to change friend circle I suppose.
Subjectivity is a joke on MAL. If you implicitly bring in subjectivity in your counter argument, you've already lost the debate. Also this website is a fankid infestation , have pity on those kids by ignoring there quotes as they have absolutely no clue what exactly is going on.
Sep 1, 2020 5:44 AM
May 2018
Good animation will make an average anime better and bad animation will most likely make an average one less worthy of watching so it is important, but if the anime is crap, even top tier animation won't stop it from being boring or poorly written. Whereas something can still be entertaining or thought-provoking even when it looks like trash.
So while bad animation won't always ruin a show, good animation and presentation isn't enough to save a weak piece of media.
Sep 1, 2020 5:57 AM

May 2020
Bhaskar_Singh said:
Erwin_Danchou said:
well watch the new season of SAO u will get the answer that shit is shit no matter how much u decorate it
Funny, i am being pestered by my friends to catch up to SAO just because the new seasons are good looking. I was considering it until i read your post. Time to change friend circle I suppose.

haha if u just want to watch kirito's fights with no story and good animation then u can watch it i have seen some people on anime sites saying that this is the best summer anime but haha its not
Sep 1, 2020 6:44 AM

Feb 2010
Great black and white poll without any actually reasonable options. Either Animation saves an anime from every other issue or it has no impact on the viewing experience at all? Really? That's the best way you could phrase this question? That already makes me want to just not answer when the OP already ries to force me into one of two extremist lanes with his poll instead of just asking an open question where we can give our own answers...

In any case the answer is that in the short-term great animation can carry a show, but not in the long-term. I can enjoy a movie that isn't too long or some short-ish OVA just for being beautifully animated, but when it's a whole series or anything longer than 1-1,5 hours the animation won't be able to save it from being boring otherwise. I mean it'll still be less painful to watch than the same garbage anime having also garbage visuals, but to hook your audience for longer periods of time you do need characters and/or story.

Of course everyone will have a different threshold for how long animation can carry. But if you're thinking your threshold is close to zero, then you should possibly reconsider why you're into anime. If you don't enjoy watching a 5 minute music video of animators just flexing their skills and creativity, why do you choose animation over live-action? I'll always enjoy and appreciate great animation in and for itself - the question is just for how long that alone can balance out a complete (pr partial) lack of other compelling elements. For 5 minutes or less it always can for me, no questions asked. And up to an hour or one and a half hours it can carry a movie as long as the other aspects are at least average/meh and not completely garbage and offputting. And either way a boring movie with great animation will always be more enjoyable than a boring movie with average animation. The question is just how much more enjoyable-

It's just such a visual medium, the animation and by extent animation quality is so inherently linked to the storytelling that you can't really seperate the two effectively, whether you're aware of that or not. Thinking the animation has no impact on you is just being ignorant, because every single thing in anime is being told through animation so it's impossible for it to not have an impact. You can just not be aware of that impact when you're not reflecting on that kind of stuff. I think thinking about it the other way round is more effective in that regard. If you imagine your favorite anime or scenes and replace their current animation with some low-frame rate flash animation or just a bunch of long stills with voiceovers, do you still think you would have gotten as much into them as you did? Can you really say it would have made no impact on your first impression of that show or scene? I don't think you can.

But even more than that why would you want to watch anime if the animation aspect doesn't impact your enjoyment at all? That makes no sense to me, I thought people liked anime BECAUSE it's anime and don't just treat the animation aspect of it as an unwanted side effect of indulging yourself in anime tropes and writing.
AlcoholicideSep 1, 2020 9:20 AM
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 1, 2020 8:46 AM

Sep 2017
In terms of enjoyment, the animation is a huge boost and even the essence itself of the series, take as an example this Seasonal series ''Kanojo, okarishimasu'' has a very bad history/plot full of coincidences and cringy crap, howbeit the ecchi element is the only one remarkable and the only reason eveyone is giving out their attention to the show is merely for the animation.
A good animation doesn't guarantee anything, except in genres were the visual aspect is the main.
Sep 1, 2020 8:54 AM
Jun 2020
Nope but I'm sure it's nice to look at.
Sep 1, 2020 9:11 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
More fluid animation usually means hardly anything and will not make a horrible anime bearable. Really the only anime that has a significant boost from the animation is flamboyant bombastic action anime like Symphogear.
Sep 1, 2020 9:12 AM
Jul 2018
Animation on bad anime is like, liking someone hot. Good to look at not a lot substance. In some degree I say it does, but really it more depends on the type of anime it is.
Sep 1, 2020 9:22 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
God of High School is popular for a reason
And it's not the quality or coherence of its plot

Sep 1, 2020 9:32 AM

Aug 2018
It might be able to soften the blow, yea, but outright saving it is just impossible at least for me. Unless it’s extremity short, that is.
Sep 1, 2020 9:35 AM

Dec 2018
demon slayer is the living proof how ufotable studios carried and mediocre plot/story
Sep 1, 2020 9:43 AM

Mar 2020
Some1ridiculous said:
Not always like for example, Weathering With You had such beautiful graphics but the story was out the window so that made me hugely disappointed and thought of it as a "bad but should've been improved" anime. It has always been more than just the gorgeous art.

Yeah, a lot of Shinkai works in general have absolutely stunning graphics/animation, but the story and characters aren't at the same caliber. Take Garden of Words too, for example. The animation is gorgeous, and almost every frame made me double take, but the plot was very meh and generic, and the characters didn't really stand out either.
Sep 1, 2020 9:44 AM
Jun 2015
Hellooo_Theeree said:
BNHA fanboi definitely gonna cancel me.
If BNHA wasn't made by Studio Bones, but instead by other studios who probably gonna overuse bad CG animation for every fight scene. It will never get this popularity, let alone getting 5th season because fanboi just overhyping this series to the roof.
Other than the animation, BNHA story basically the same as other generic shonen.
LOL the animation sucks ass. Like they had one good season and the rest were bland as shit
Sep 1, 2020 9:47 AM
Jul 2018
Depends upon how good the animation. If the animation is just good, then no. However, if the animation is extremely good, then I guess, it can.
Sep 1, 2020 9:47 AM

Sep 2014
sAgE9 said:
demon slayer is the living proof how ufotable studios carried and mediocre plot/story

Pretty weak argument tho. There is more to like about Demon Slayer than just animation. Meanwhile there are other anime with a stellar animation on a bad story which flopped hard.
Sep 1, 2020 11:28 AM

Apr 2020
If the animation is really good then it can make an anime slightly better, but thats it. Can't save a bad anime but can make it go from a 4 to a 5.
Sep 1, 2020 12:37 PM

Aug 2018
Good animation can make a anime better but it can't necessarily carry a show on it's own
_______I like rocks__
Sep 1, 2020 4:13 PM

Oct 2015
It can make it tolerable, the eye craves for eyecandy.
Sep 1, 2020 7:32 PM

Dec 2019
I mean it's like food imo. It LOOKED good, but it tasted bad. The appearance was a + but it means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I wanna rewatch shows because of great music,characters, stories, etc. If it has none of them or it's done badly, I'm not gonna wanna see it again. Great animation or not.

"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is."
-Kino's Journey
Sep 1, 2020 7:40 PM

Aug 2017
yes it is, cause good animation is one of the reason why people start to watch the show. i am already find some anime with good animation and have bad plot story and chara development, but i still watch it till the end
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 1, 2020 7:48 PM

Nov 2019
Honestly depends. Children of the Sea would've been an incredibly bland and boring movie without its amazing animation, but stuff like the Madoka Gaiden anime wouldn't have been any better with its animation (although its quality would've been even worse if the animation was not as good as it was). I guess if you count boring as bad, then yeah, good animation could definitely make the story a lot more enjoyable, although I wouldn't argue that it would "save" an anime.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Have y'all seen Rainbow?

MillerEvans23 - 15 minutes ago

1 by Toooooooooohru »»
38 seconds ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

64 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
7 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 8 hours ago

18 by Maou_heika »»
23 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

74 by Kruszer »»
33 minutes ago

Poll: » Which one do you prefer?

MillerEvans23 - 57 minutes ago

2 by KayKimii »»
35 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.