Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 23, 2020 7:08 AM

Nov 2019
Dariat said:
Supercueca_ said:

What? Haru is best girl for sure, Shinako is really boring and annoying.
I wanted MC to choose Haru, but it was really abrupt. The mc didn't even spend much time with Haru and didn't even know her that well.
If you don't see that then, sorry, but you are blind

They spent enough time together.

As I said, I think the ending was ok, people are just looking for reasons to hate it

Tell me the reason why he changed his mind then
Jun 23, 2020 7:21 AM

Mar 2012
I'm 2 episodes behind so I don't know about the ending yet but this anime is honestly very boring to watch, it's not bad to the point of dropping it but it doesn't have anything to hold my interest, the characters are dull, hardly any development in the characters or story, the dull colors make it even less attractive. If you want to watch something where literally nothing is going on this is the anime for you. I couldn't even be bothered with Rikuo making a choice between Haru or Shinanko. I watch anime for entertainment not for watching boring people do boring things.

novus_mihi said:
But I think for people in 20s, this anime is relatable af. And since it is relatable, I would say that it did its job pretty well.
I'm in my 20s and this is not relatable in the slightest.
Jun 23, 2020 7:33 AM

May 2018
Supercueca_ said:
Dariat said:

They spent enough time together.

As I said, I think the ending was ok, people are just looking for reasons to hate it

Tell me the reason why he changed his mind then

The only reason he initially rejected Haru was because he thought he was in love with Shinako. After realizing that wasn't the case, he changed his mind
Jun 23, 2020 7:39 AM

Mar 2017
I haven't finished it yet -- I think I got about halfway through. Personally, I didn't think it was bad, just boring. Now that I've heard how bad the ending is, I guess I have to finish it to witness the crash and burn.
Jun 23, 2020 10:40 AM
Sep 2013
Supercueca_ said:
Dariat said:

Ok, so you're upset because he chose Haru instead of Shinako, not because the ending was "rushed"

Yeah, after he and Shinako spent 3 months together he realized that he doesn't have feelings for her. Stuff like that happens IRL all the time

I wanted MC to choose Haru, but it was really abrupt. The mc didn't even spend much time with Haru and didn't even know her that well.

They spent alot of time together pre-episode 8 tho. Even from the first meeting around 2 years have passed.
Both became more honest with each other after ep.3 encounter
Ep 7 even when Rikuo was down, it was Haru that confronted him and made him feel better
Even in the voice drama released before the last episode, there was an episode where the 2 of them went to see firework together.
Jun 23, 2020 12:25 PM

Aug 2014
It was a very bad show. It is as simple as that.
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Jun 23, 2020 12:44 PM
Oct 2015
Diginarcissa said:
the Shinako squad was angry because they lost. She deserved it tbh. Only m'lady fedora redditors would hit women like Shitnako

At least shes a fucking adult you creep
Jun 23, 2020 1:25 PM

Jan 2019
you just cant blame a whole doga kobo staff studio about the rushing ending tho. its comes from the source itself. the manga author itself did make a rushed ending for "yesterday wo utatte".

note from me: just try with 3-episode rules. then u can decided either drop it or continue watching.
Jun 23, 2020 1:33 PM

Sep 2019
It's funny when people in this thread say stuff like "people just don't like it because it's not generic shounen shit" or "the characters are realistic, that's how people act in real life". Just because a character is more "realistic" (ie. they are more selfish, are motivated by greed or ego) than your average character in an anime, doesn't make the characters actually good. As a character, Rikuo is a much more "realistic" representation of a normal male person, as opposed to the Erens and the Kiritos of anime. He leads a stagnant life, is not good/great at communicating with others, and is selfish and indecisive. If he had good development, he would (most likely) change and be able to fix (at least some of) his flaws throughout the course of the story (and given that this is romance, the romantic development would most likely have paralleled his own personal development). However, he doesn't really change at all, and is mostly the same selfish asshole as he is at the beginning of the story at the end. It's not as though his desires have shifted, or that he has become more independent, or that he has shed his flaws. Ostensibly, he hasn't really had much character development.

Now this is the point where people chime in and say something like : "Well that's how people in REAL LIFE act. They're selfish assholes who don't want to change". Sure, yeah that's how people in real life act; I can accept that. However, from an entertainment point of view, its not really that interesting to watch. That's why in characters in most "good" or even "great" shows change and grow. An easy example that can be compared to this case is the main character from NHK ni Youkoso. Satou is a shitty hikikormori, with no ambitions, and doesn't really desire more than to simply exist. Satou is a good character to compare Rikuo to because (1) they are both males leads in romance shows, (2) both shows have some similar themes they deal with, and (3) Rikuo and Satou share some character qualities. I'd actually probably say that Satou is a worse person that Rikuo (he's more selfish, perverted, and awful; probably an even more accurate or "realistic" depiction of a depressive adult male). The difference is that Satou actually develops throughout the story of NHK, and changes fundamentally as a human being. He comes cherish his relationships with those around him, and his character changes as a result of those newfound relationships (particularly his romantic one with Misaki). On the other hand, in Yesterday wo Utatte, all the characters are totally static (with possibly the slight exception of Haru), and the only large amount of development we ever really see is at the last episode, which was poorly executed, and, as everyone and their mom has said, RUSHED. However, it's not that the entire show was great until that point and then the ending ruined it; it's more that the last episode was a product of some poor writing and not enough episodes.

The last thing about Yesterday is that some people (as in any piece of media) relate to the characters. This isn't a bad thing, but the question then becomes : What the hell about all the other people who don't inherently relate to the characters? Why do people like Code Geass? I'm not too sure Lelouch is really that "relatable" of a person. Yeah the answer is simple : THE CHARACTERS ARE INTERESTING, AND THEY GROW AND DEVELOP. Just because one person relates to the characters and likes a specific show because of it (which seems to be the case for this show), doesn't mean other people will feel the same. The bottom line is that good characters, while maybe being relatable to some people, are good characters and liked by a wide array of people because they have good writing, characterization, and development. And, as I hope its become apparent, Yesterday wo Utatte's characters don't fit that bill (again maybe besides Haru because she was kind of a fun character).

All in all 4-5/10 because plot/characters were rather bad, but the animation, OST, and voice acting were enjoyable.
MacroSpiderJun 23, 2020 1:42 PM
Jun 23, 2020 1:36 PM

Sep 2019
cl_skinnyguy said:
you just cant blame a whole doga kobo staff studio about the rushing ending tho. its comes from the source itself. the manga author itself did make a rushed ending for "yesterday wo utatte".

note from me: just try with 3-episode rules. then u can decided either drop it or continue watching.

Usually this works, but the problem with Yesterday wo Utatte was that it did seem promising past the 3rd episode, and that's why people kept on watching. People are angry because it seemed like it was gonna be good, but it turned out not to be in the last 3-4 or so episodes.
MacroSpiderJun 23, 2020 1:40 PM
Jun 23, 2020 2:11 PM

Nov 2009
I lowered my score from 7 to 5 because of the extremely rushed ending. Been watching anime for over 10 years and it's one of the worst examples of rushing I've seen. Maybe it's true they were planning for 18 episodes, but that was still not a proper way to end it. I'd rather they leave it open ended and let people read the manga if they want to finish the story.

The ending wouldn't be that bad if there more episodes with development leading up to it. But trying to shove it into the last 10 minutes just makes the ending unbelievable.
Jun 23, 2020 4:44 PM
Apr 2020
It should’ve been 18 episodes. I hate how for the latter half of the series, literally nothing was happening between Haru and Rikuo, and Shitnako and Rou. But then suddenly, everything magically fell into place and each got together in the span of one episode for what exactly? To wrap up the anime and satisfy us with a happy ending? I was enjoying it so far until the absolute shitshow that was episode 12
Jun 23, 2020 4:48 PM

Dec 2019
Because they can't handle the possibility that maybe a man and a woman can hang out together and not be romantically interested in one another. The show was great, and everyone should either watch it or read the manga
Jun 23, 2020 4:50 PM
Jun 2020
The cringiest anime ever. It is too cringe
Jun 23, 2020 8:38 PM
Apr 2012
Chaz745 said:
Because they can't handle the possibility that maybe a man and a woman can hang out together and not be romantically interested in one another.

What does this have to do with anything? That would've been a better ending than what we got. Someone in each of the relationships refused to be friends, it was irritating. Haru and Rikuo were barely friends in the first place. Shiranako and Rikuo couldn't be friends because Rikuo kept pining after her. Rou is the worst thing since ever.

I think the worst part was Rou after all his teen angst still got the girl. She literally said "I didn't see him as a man, it was my fault" The show itself couldn't accept that females and males couldn't be friends.
Jun 24, 2020 12:52 PM
Mar 2020
I think it has a realistic plot and set of characters and they did a good job in the making it.I don't think people should be complaining about the pace of manga adaptation because I feel it's better this way.
Jun 24, 2020 2:25 PM
ダンダダン

Jun 2015
lostinexistence said:
Nurguburu said:

Im 23 and its not relatable in any way.

Well, I'm 22 and I too think it's relatable.

It felt relatable in the first few episodes for me but then after that the way the characters acted just made me sick and there went me being able to relate to any of this nonsense

Jun 24, 2020 3:20 PM

Jun 2015
MatchaGreen said:

[...]
And yeah, the ending is super rushed, especially when you compare it with the rest of the show where things move (very) slowly. Also, the pairings aren't the problem IMO. To me, it's the message "you can only vb happy if you are in couple" that irritates me. When you have that much issues, go see a therapist instead of sinking a girl/guy with you.

I agree

the relationship between haru and rikuo will be unhealthy and probably even more than Rikuo and Shinakos was...

well at least he's gonna get some bed action
Jun 25, 2020 2:04 AM

Apr 2014
Sigh.. dropped it finally at episode 5. Slice of life my ass. Focused on lame ass romance.
Jun 25, 2020 4:49 PM

Oct 2019
The show is incredibly unrealistic, a lot of things that happen in the show are insulting, people will say things like"they're mad theyre waifu lost" or shit like that. But if u even think about it a little bit, characters and the way EVERYBODY does things in the show are annoying and to be quite frank pathetic.
Aria is the greatest manga of all time
Jun 25, 2020 7:04 PM

Mar 2016
Deadpan, sluggish, tiresome. Very little development storywise and characterwise. Improper depiction of intended themes. God awful ending.

There’s virtually no reason to not dislike it.
Jun 25, 2020 9:13 PM
Apr 2020
The Anime was ruined because of the rushed ending and from what I read on the top reviews, Shinako.
Jun 26, 2020 11:47 AM
Apr 2020
Why the hate ? An abysmal ending.

And also the director focuses 10 episodes on a single character (Shinako), and never provides closure, development or growth.

It's even hinted that she takes the worst possible decision in her last scene.

Jun 26, 2020 12:13 PM

Sep 2010
My problem with this show is the ending, I like Haru a lot, and I wanted her to have a happy ending, but I agree with a lot of peeps here that her relationship with Rokuo was extremely rushed and came pretty much out of nowhere, sudddenly he loves her because ??? he spent a lot of time with her, sure but, and they had some appreciation for the other, but this to suddenly trasform into love is farfetched, at least the anime doesn't show us how Rokuo got to that point... also the show comleteley discards all the development Shinako had at the end, at the end coulnd't move from her past at all, and just went with the guy that treated her like she was his property, she was starting to move forward, slowly, the show even acknowledges this, but at the end she is still trapped with the feelings towards her dead crush's family, what about her agency? she just goes back because of fear... and Rou what an awful character. People be like that sometimes, but he didn't learn anything and still got what he wanted.

I don't think the conversation should be focused if the anime was realistic and unrealistic, ths will depend on what your personal experiences are. I've at some point been in the position of each of the 4 characters, some people might not, and thats just how life is, not everybody acts and goes through the same things, they were realistic in that adults can be egotistical, insecure and trapped in the past and make awful decisions, just like teenagers do!, is not like you suddenly are 20 and your life gets fixed and you have personal relationships solved.

It wasn't an awful show but the angle it takes at the end is very weird
kageroyamiJun 26, 2020 12:16 PM
Jun 26, 2020 7:56 PM

Sep 2018
Monarch9 said:
flestresnietile said:
Maybe because there's no relatable high school gloomy boi or a cute dancing character or maybe love confession that will only happen at the end of the series. Looks like those people are not into actual characters with actual story.

I fucking loved the show till the last ep still a good 6/10 and I'm fucking team haru. So stfu if you don't know and just wanna spout nonsense
This is a forum of course posting opinions are allowed. What I said are one of the reasons aside from the backlash of the ending, not all are watching this because they been fan of the series. Also, not everyone are as salty as wlth what happen in ending. Not everyone is a shipper.
Jun 26, 2020 9:21 PM

Oct 2013
kageroyami said:
My problem with this show is the ending, I like Haru a lot, and I wanted her to have a happy ending, but I agree with a lot of peeps here that her relationship with Rokuo was extremely rushed and came pretty much out of nowhere, sudddenly he loves her because ??? he spent a lot of time with her, sure but, and they had some appreciation for the other, but this to suddenly trasform into love is farfetched, at least the anime doesn't show us how Rokuo got to that point... also the show comleteley discards all the development Shinako had at the end, at the end coulnd't move from her past at all, and just went with the guy that treated her like she was his property, she was starting to move forward, slowly, the show even acknowledges this, but at the end she is still trapped with the feelings towards her dead crush's family, what about her agency? she just goes back because of fear... and Rou what an awful character. People be like that sometimes, but he didn't learn anything and still got what he wanted.

I don't think the conversation should be focused if the anime was realistic and unrealistic, ths will depend on what your personal experiences are. I've at some point been in the position of each of the 4 characters, some people might not, and thats just how life is, not everybody acts and goes through the same things, they were realistic in that adults can be egotistical, insecure and trapped in the past and make awful decisions, just like teenagers do!, is not like you suddenly are 20 and your life gets fixed and you have personal relationships solved.

It wasn't an awful show but the angle it takes at the end is very weird

I hardly think it deserves all the hate and I myself enjoyed it overall. Alas, the conclusion of the final ep WAS quite disappointing.

Like, Haru's fun & I like her personality but the anime doesn't really do a great job at all when it comes to Rikuo treating her as more than a "cute nuisance" at best. It's like she's this huge 3rd wheel to him & Shinako.

I get the troubles between him & Shinako, and some red flags around the fact that even after "being together" for 3 months they still weren't making much progress, but the anime doesn't make much of a big deal of that and makes it seem like it's just something that needs some time to work out as she slowly moved on from Rou's deceased brother. Actually, it can be argued that they are making progress bit by bit instead while both Haru & Rou are portrayed like some of the biggest 3rd wheels I've seen.

Oh well, at least Haru's happy, though I will say that the way the anime played out, perhaps an original ending where he just stays with Shinako might've been better.

Heartyace said:

I think the worst part was Rou after all his teen angst still got the girl. She literally said "I didn't see him as a man, it was my fault".

Samuji said:

I agree

the relationship between haru and rikuo will be unhealthy and probably even more than Rikuo and Shinakos was...

well at least he's gonna get some bed action

Shinako possibly having feelings for Rou is the biggest ???? here. Actually, she says she wants to try paying more attention to him more than anything and we're just left to wonder if it's gonna work out or not. Like what... I heard that not even the manga portrays their relationship better and some buddies say it's shown to be even worse... If that's true, then I'm like idk what to say about Shinako rather than that she likes hurting herself, lol.

I can sympathize with the other characters but Rou feels so bratty lol, and sends off some possessive vibes that could mean some serious trouble in future, not to mention that he never overcomes them.

It's like she's literally indulging him in his bratty & possessive behavior. I'm just like "Why Shinako why? Why do this to yourself? Please, stay single instead, or fall for anyone else, just not that guy."

ManlyTearJun 26, 2020 9:41 PM
Jun 27, 2020 9:16 PM
Feb 2016
It's just like Liz and Blue Bird or any slow burner drama slice of life. Same reason over and over again
Jun 28, 2020 3:23 AM
Oct 2015
IMO i do think the anime is not that bad I think it's very realistic and relatable wanting to change or move on is not easy.
also you call say I'm bias here but I do think Rikuo x Shinako should have happened.
Yes I'm bitter not just because they didn't end up, but how the relationship ended.
for me I think Rikuo x Shinako have a very realistic relationship. they take things slow they have issues so it's hard for them to just change all of a sudden.
I'm mad because the anime seems to be going into their way until they decided to just make a Haru ending.
I don't dislike Haru but If she's going to be the main heroine then build a story around her. she was just ignored for the last episodes and all of a sudden Rikuo just confessed to her.
Jun 28, 2020 3:02 PM
Nov 2019
Supercueca_ said:
Dariat said:

Ok, so you're upset because he chose Haru instead of Shinako, not because the ending was "rushed"

Yeah, after he and Shinako spent 3 months together he realized that he doesn't have feelings for her. Stuff like that happens IRL all the time

he knows haru more then a year and in the past she went almost everyday to the inconvientstore. When he got a job he even invited her to eat somewhere to tell her the good news.
Jun 28, 2020 7:57 PM

Nov 2018
Shit's fucked. The producers had likely gotten wasted and said, "hey, wouldn't it be great if we fucked up the last episode just to piss everyone off?"

Has to be the worst anime I've ever watched just because of that episode. I even gave it a lower rating than I gave SAO for gods sake.

askellad said:

he knows haru more then a year and in the past she went almost everyday to the inconvientstore. When he got a job he even invited her to eat somewhere to tell her the good news.

He didn't really "know" her. He met her once on the street a long time ago, and then they didn't see each other for a while. Even after they met again, there weren't many scenes with them together. How does that translate to him knowing her enough to have a relationship?
DamnitsJun 28, 2020 8:02 PM

Jul 2, 2020 6:56 PM
Feb 2014
I think the top review on the shows MAL page pretty much summed up all of the things wrong with this show. Pacing was as slow as a snail until the very end where they rushed it bad. Characters are NOT relatable, unless you are an idiot or the most indecisive adult on the planet. The romances felt like they would never work out. Go watch Welcome to the NHK instead.
Jul 3, 2020 5:53 AM
Jun 2017
I love SING YESTERDAY FOR ME, as i love how the story goes for the 4 main characters in the said series... BUT THAT ENDING IS SO BAD SINCE ITS RUSHED...
Jul 5, 2020 5:45 AM

Sep 2009
Everything is so rush in the end...
Jul 7, 2020 10:48 AM

Nov 2018
Though i didn't exactly gave it 1 or 2, but the ending did disappoint the fuck outta me. It's a shame that the author decided to go with the usual clichéd route. Even though shinako's character was dumb and stupid, she really looked good with the MC. Well whatever, gonna forget about this shit anyway.
Jul 26, 2020 3:49 PM

Aug 2008
I was enjoying it myself, when Haru seemed pretty much cast aside I was wondering how the show would bring her back in, if there was more time given I think it would have been much better. Instead the final episode went at warp speed, was disappointing. That said I don't hate the show, for me it made what could have been a 9 to perhaps a flat 7. Bottom fell out but I don't think its terrible at all. Of course I haven't read the manga, maybe I'd feel different if I had.
Jul 30, 2020 2:51 AM

Oct 2016
It definitely isn't a bad anime, but again they did rush the shit out of it. They axed a character from the manga that could have helped develop the characters more and make the build up to the ending more well done. More episodes would have really benefited the show.
Jul 30, 2020 4:12 AM

Apr 2019
i think im truly convinced to NOT watch this, thanks for the advice guys

Maybe watching, maybe reading, probably living
Jul 30, 2020 4:31 AM
Jun 2020
Yee!

Haru has only 200 less favorites than Shinako. It's getting gud!
2life said:
i think im truly convinced to NOT watch this, thanks for the advice guys
Of course you wouldn't. If you had watched it without getting consensus from the community like a brainless zombie who can't decide on its own maybe you would have actually liked it. Next time if you wanna get a liking to something don't ask people if that particular series is 'good' or 'not' and you'll notice a far greater enjoyment from them. I speak of experience.
Jul 30, 2020 10:20 PM

Sep 2019
It was interesting at first, but got really boring.
Jul 30, 2020 10:34 PM

May 2020
It was kind of disappointing but it's not bad or something that should be hated. I liked it. You should try it only if you like Romance/Drama Genre otherwise you will hate it too.
My MALoween✟Mansion 2022 Candies :
Aug 1, 2020 1:38 PM
Jul 2016
cl_skinnyguy said:

it's not the source's fault it's the producers for rushing it into short amount of episodes.
Aug 4, 2020 11:00 PM

Oct 2014
2life said:
i haven't watch this yet, but i see most people are digging that 1 and 2 reviews. was it that bad or simply disappointing?

It's pretty bad, yes. Just dropped it. First part of the show was fine and promising. Even seemed somewhat realistic in the 'love not going as planned' and 'new love developing unexpectedly' department. Unfortunately, it all went wrong starting from, I'd say, episode 7 onward. I'll write the exact reason in the spoiler.

BebelmanAug 5, 2020 3:31 AM
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zyjJanApr - May 9, 2020

150 by SadMeat »»
Jan 29, 11:09 AM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2020

443 by StandingSitting »»
Jan 11, 1:23 PM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2020

160 by Stargurll02 »»
Jan 6, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 25, 2020

123 by komikvalentine »»
Nov 18, 2023 11:46 PM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2020

204 by littlebiglyon »»
Nov 15, 2023 2:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.