Forum Settings
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 1, 2020 11:42 AM

Oct 2012
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Great chapter. Me freaking out and over-analyzing stuff below.

Jun 1, 2020 3:28 PM
Apr 2012
We poppin the BIGGEST bottles when taichihaya becomes canon
Jun 2, 2020 4:22 AM
May 2020
Where can I read chapter 226?
Jun 2, 2020 9:05 AM

Oct 2019
okakuri said:

I dont get it. I really dont. This chapter had zero interaction with them. How in the seven hells get people to the conclusion they are endgame?
Jun 2, 2020 9:56 AM
Apr 2012
Fionavar said:
okakuri said:

I dont get it. I really dont. This chapter had zero interaction with them. How in the seven hells get people to the conclusion they are endgame?

I was just making a cheeky reference
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/we-popping-the-biggest-bottles-when-makorra-happens-tomorrow
Jun 2, 2020 10:40 AM
Jun 2013
Can't wait for the translated scans to come out!!
Jun 2, 2020 11:59 AM
May 2020
I couldn't find it in English but I come from Japan so I read the Japanese scan and honestly I'm so so excited for the next one.

1 big question... WHY TF are people talking about Taichihaya becoming canon and endgame!? Taichi didn't appear once in this chapter so I don't know where thats coming from. Anyways Chiharata was really cute here
Jun 2, 2020 12:18 PM

Oct 2012
okakuri said:
definitely, I'm in for this!!! Rofl anything is good to open a bottle of Champagne, even if it doesn't happen, will be good to end my long road with Chihayafuru with a nice bubble

Taichi wasn't there but "we definitely sensed his presence".
chiakimagotoJun 2, 2020 12:27 PM
Jun 2, 2020 3:19 PM

Oct 2012
chiakimagoto said:
okakuri said:
definitely, I'm in for this!!! Rofl anything is good to open a bottle of Champagne, even if it doesn't happen, will be good to end my long road with Chihayafuru with a nice bubble

Taichi wasn't there but "we definitely sensed his presence".

Thanks for saying what I wanted to say, Chiaki-chan! ♥ lol good take!
Furthermore, I didn't see anyone mentioning that Taichihaya was endgame after this chapter aside from me, but I'm glad I'm not alone in this one then!

And please hide the knives dear Chiharata shippers, this is merely my interpretation of the story and it can be wrong.

And for those who ask: The chapter translation isn't up yet, I read it in japanese.
MaahHeimJun 2, 2020 3:41 PM
Jun 2, 2020 8:08 PM

Sep 2012
I guess if jealously factors everything then Chihaya x Arata is inevitable seeing as Taichi has always been jealous of Arata. Anyways love to see Arata understanding Chihaya-yet again- and knowing that she's a team player, now those "he doesn't even understand her though" arguments can hopefully cease. And the whole team player thing being hammered down with Chihaya just makes me believe my HC will come into fruition-Shinobu who keeps herself in solitude will lose to someone who is the exact opposite of her. Chihaya beating her will expand her world, which is very much needed. The Kana panel was so weird and OOC that I can't help thinking that Suetsugu was taking a jab at certain fans who hate when Arata has any kind of interaction with Chihaya lmao.
The desire to be loved is the last illusion. Give it up and you will be free.
Jun 3, 2020 12:10 AM

Oct 2019
possession1981 said:
I guess if jealously factors everything then Chihaya x Arata is inevitable seeing as Taichi has always been jealous of Arata. Anyways love to see Arata understanding Chihaya-yet again- and knowing that she's a team player, now those "he doesn't even understand her though" arguments can hopefully cease. And the whole team player thing being hammered down with Chihaya just makes me believe my HC will come into fruition-Shinobu who keeps herself in solitude will lose to someone who is the exact opposite of her. Chihaya beating her will expand her world, which is very much needed. The Kana panel was so weird and OOC that I can't help thinking that Suetsugu was taking a jab at certain fans who hate when Arata has any kind of interaction with Chihaya lmao.

To that last part absolutely tbh. I always found it kind of odd with how pushy Kana is on that regard tbh. It certainly isnt the first moment she had like this where she felt completly OOC..
Jun 3, 2020 12:32 AM

Oct 2012
I thought that part with Kana Chan was hilarious!! Sensei is so funny!! That sure made me lmao as well!

That scene when Arata's father goes to him with the phone saying Taichi sent an sms:

Arata's reaction: doesn't go back to read it.
Chihaya's reaction: turns straight around to go and see if she has one.

Obviously they both put different importance in Taichi.

Another little weird thing. Arata's father took his phone in the first place to text Yuu and make her happy....of course touching his phone is a no no but his parents are pushing Yuu like really hard in front of Arata.....lol. They are both playing match maker for Arata....

Anyway more seriously: I think Arata has definitely noticed something is going on with Chihaya. Her whole team is there except.... Taichi.

And for Chihaya there is 1 card missing.....let's see if it pops up in the next match.
chiakimagotoJun 3, 2020 4:17 AM
Jun 3, 2020 7:34 AM

Sep 2012
Fionavar said:
To that last part absolutely tbh. I always found it kind of odd with how pushy Kana is on that regard tbh. It certainly isnt the first moment she had like this where she felt completly OOC..

I really like Kana as a character, I feel this is a shared sentiment among majority of Chihayafuru fans-but I really dislike how she doesn't consider the feelings of Chihaya. I get that she feels for Taichi, but she should think about Chihaya from time to time as well. Maybe I'm forgetting a scene, but Kana has never shown any animosity towards Arata so that dirty look from her (when Arata did nothing wrong) was just weird. So weird that I can't help feeling that was Suetsugu taking a jab at certain fans, because that's exactly how they act when Arata has any kind of interaction with Chihaya. Do you know how many time I've seen certain fans complain over Arata simply being in the same scene, or when Chihaya even just thinks about the guy? It's ridiculous.

Let me gush about Arata here. Absolutely love how Arata was the one to give Chihaya support, and feel it's important to their overall relationship. In an earlier chapter on a page missing in the magazine version-the page is in included in the actual tankoubon-Chihaya looks at Arata and her monologue is how she wants to reach the lofty peak of Mt.Fuji with him. In an older chapter, when they make eye contact, she looks away in embarrassment over her loss. She does it again this chapter, but Arata takes action this time around. He gives her the support she needs-knowing that she's a team player he goes for the chant-and mentions 3 wins. Really great stuff from our boy here.

One last thing, that panel of Chihaya face down on the floor-freezing outside-no shoes-the way she breaks down while Arata is carrying her back inside-I could feel all her frustration, bitterness, and sadness. I don't see how anyone could believe Chihaya doesn't want the Queen title when her reaction says otherwise. I hope our girl makes her dream come true.

@fionavar
possession1981Jun 3, 2020 8:21 AM
Jun 3, 2020 9:45 AM
May 2020
possession1981 said:
Fionavar said:

I really like Kana as a character, I feel this is a shared sentiment among majority of Chihayafuru fans-but I really dislike how she doesn't consider the feelings of Chihaya. I get that she feels for Taichi, but she should think about Chihaya from time to time as well. Maybe I'm forgetting a scene, but Kana has never shown any animosity towards Arata so that dirty look from her (when Arata did nothing wrong) was just weird. So weird that I can't help feeling that was Suetsugu taking a jab at certain fans, because that's exactly how they act when Arata has any kind of interaction with Chihaya. Do you know how many time I've seen certain fans complain over Arata simply being in the same scene, or when Chihaya even just thinks about the guy? It's ridiculous.

I agree!!! I know that Kana is considering Taichi's feelings and knows that he deeply loves Chihaya but she is not only a Taichi supporter but also Chihaya's important FRIEND. So I feel that she should also consider Chihaya's feelings, and if Chihaya doesn't have any romantic feelings for Taichi then Kana shouldn't push it either as a friend. (And Arata didn't do ANYTHING wrong, he in fact saved her from freezing and crying outside, and Kana just glares at him, that was very unneccesary). Also, Kana knows exactly that Chihaya has feelings for Arata, and that Arata likes her too. She also knows that Taichi's feelings are slowly vanishing, so why is she mad at Arata for just carrying her inside??

@fionavar

the saddest part is, that people blame Chihaya for that... no hate to Taichi fans, I respect their views but just because they love Taichi, doesn't mean everything bad happening to him is caused by Chihaya.

Also something I've been seeing: Is it true that Japanese Chihayafuru fans tend to ship ChihayaXArata and people from outside of Japan tend to ship TaichiXChihaya?? (I come from Japan and I ship Chiharata. There are many japanese fanarts of Taichihaya, but not as many as Chiharata ones. But in these english discussion posts most people vote for Taichihaya..Coincidence? idk)
Jun 3, 2020 9:48 AM

Oct 2012
TBH I'm waiting for the scans.

One thing is for sure: Taichi may not be there, but he seems to always be dwelling in Chihaya's mind at the moment. She knows he won't go back to being her bestie anymore. Those times are over. Maybe for always, maybe not. That depends on several things. Taichi set the borderline. He is taking his distance, step by step. He may still love Chihaya but I don't think he wants to bother her anymore and when the cons in a relationship weigh more heavy than the pros, distancing yourself is definitely the right thing to do.

If Chihaya loves Arata she should forget about Taichi and not be "a rock" anymore, not expect anything. It's not her fault he loves her, but she should at least understand that his feelings were crushed, which she definitely understoood. Taichi obviously suffers because of this situation, so think it more than wise to keep away from something that hurts you.

If she loves Taichi, she may not be able to control her feelings and still wish for his presence. Even if he is her friend, she knows what went on between them. No one else knows what actually went down. She should understand he doesn't want to contact her anymore. I know, he could have sent her encouragement, but it's too painful so she shouldn't expect anything. The fact that she might be "hoping", is someting else.

I have a feeling that Arata might have caught onto Chihaya really feeling down. He doesn't have an idea what actually happened between Taichi and Chihaya, so really, him making that effort to "stand in" for Taichi was a nice thing to do. He might not have if he had known what was going on. He did understand, that even if the whole Mizusawa team is there, she still needs her righthand to get her support systems up. But he isn't.

In the end, even if Taichi seperated himself from Chihaya and the team, she is still bruised and longing for old times, which will never come back.

@abe_riona,

chiakimagotoJun 3, 2020 10:19 AM
Jun 3, 2020 10:17 AM

Sep 2012
chiakimagoto said:
No one else knows what actually went down.

Plenty of characters knew that a confession happened, and that Taichi was rejected actually. When Harada-Sensei found out that Taichi left the club, he knew it was because it finally happened. It being the confession. While they don't know the details, they know of the outcome.

I believe Suetsugu will go for the ending that she wants. I don't see popularity playing a factor into anything, and that's the way it should be. I want to read the story Suetsugu wants to tell, and hope others feel the same.
possession1981Jun 3, 2020 10:23 AM
Jun 3, 2020 10:21 AM

Oct 2012
Yes they sure don't know the details, the words said, the impact on both hearts, the pain and distress......they just know it happened. Only Chihaya knows Taichi's face saying "do you think I'm made of stone". And only Taichi knows about how bad he made Chihaya cry.....

The only thing I have to say about popularity, is that Sensei has admitted in the past that she follows that sort of stuff to balance out her story. In the end she can make the balance weigh more or less to one or the other side. She has known this from the start. In our days she has a multiple means to find out what is thought about her story.
chiakimagotoJun 3, 2020 10:35 AM
Jun 3, 2020 10:46 AM

Sep 2012
chiakimagoto said:
she follows that sort of stuff to balance out her story.

If this true then this would explain why Taichi's arc, and coming-of-age story is so long.
Jun 3, 2020 11:47 AM
Apr 2020
Another great chapter! The first one I read in japanese! :)
You can clearly see the frustration in Chihaya's face. And the humor is on point.

Well... As for Taichihaya and ArataChihaya I can only say this. Chihaya is not a trophy.
Every character has their own emotions, priorities and motives. So, I cannot understand the people who blame Chihaya for other people doings (she does it to herself anyways (kaze wo itami scene)).

Jun 3, 2020 12:08 PM

Oct 2012
She understood herself.....it wasn't her fault but she knows his feelings were crushed. It broke her heart, to the point she couldn't play karuta for a while.

Both of them heartbroken, for different reasons but yeah, heartbroken. No one but Chihaya can understand more why Taichi isn't there. Time has probably softend the pain.... Taichi is in the stage of acceptance and is taking his distance even if he's still sad and loves her, he now wishes her happiness even if he isn't part of it.....but Chihaya is still grieving and pining. And heck, looks like fate will reserve them an encounter that will probably have consequences on their futures.

As for Taichi's coming of age story being long....looks like Chihaya's and Arata's aren't finished either....there is still alot to come for all 3.
Jun 4, 2020 6:54 AM

Jan 2020

two "somehow" chiharata-related answers by Fionavar & abe_riona and then this
please hide the knives dear Chiharata shippers
I wonder what what looks like "knives" to some......

for Chihaya there is 1 card missing
Agreed! Chiha!
And for the romance, there are two:
"Chiha" & "Se".

Excuse me if this is unrelated, I don't know where else I can ask this, but fans who believe "Chiha" is about "Taichi" /or more in favor of his feelings over Arata's../or chihaya's for Taichi over hers for Arata
May I know the reasoning behind this thought?
thank you in advance.

Jun 4, 2020 4:34 PM
Jul 2018
This was a nice chapter overall, the flashback to the Mizusawa days was great (especially seeing as it was my favourite arc of the entire series to date).

I hope Suo patterns up at some point and levels the playing field, seeing those karuta geezers happy leaves a bad taste in my mouth. There's that, and of course, I'd like to see things get more competitive.

The whole Arata picking up Chihaya was nice too. Though I was pretty confused when the guy is still contemplating how to "reach" Chihaya. It's just a matter of him trusting that she will pull through and focusing on his own battle (in my opinion), though I suppose it's in his nature to worry about her.

Oh yeah, Hana's reaction was funny. Personally, I don't think it's out of character at all, she barely knows Arata and Taichi's her friend. It's not even like she even said anything about it, she kept her thoughts to herself and scowled. It feels like people are reading too much into it though, Suetsugu isn't taking jabs at anyone lmao.

I really hope things turn up in terms of Karuta, it's been a while since things have gotten neck-and-neck, and I NEED some of that good sports anime tension.

Harada really spilled everything I was thinking reading the earlier chapters; concerning Chihaya's karuta. It's great that she's entered Shinobu's "world" but in the process she blundered a lot and effectively ditched what she's best at. There seems to something there though, I'll admit. Dr Harada said it himself: "So I don't think your *new offensive karuta* is wrong".

The Mizusawa chant was a good throwback, sucks that the President isn't there though. Well, even saying that his presence is still around the chapter quite a bit despite not even being there.

This chapter was a light 6 out of 10. We got to see more of Arata and Chihaya together (I'm not saying that as a shipper, but just in general it was cool to see). Overall it was a nice little break in the matches where we got see some characters re-group and re-center before returning to war.

(I SWEAR TO GOD, SUO BETTER START WINNING. I lowkey want him to win overall just to see the dinosaurs put respect on his name.)

removed-userJun 4, 2020 4:43 PM
Jun 4, 2020 4:54 PM

Jan 2016
Fantastic chapter! Arata finally did something great in this chapter with the "MI" thing, now I have something more to like about him except for his accent

Jun 5, 2020 12:18 AM

Feb 2011
Wow, Arata's words are so courageous and powerful, he fully acknowledge Chihaya's strength where her main core will take its course with everyone's love and support will be link as one ( together they're going to get those three wins). Noticed in how Arata puts Chihaya's needs before his own, letting go on his full focus winning one more game, instead he really wants to help Chihaya by lifting off the weight on her shoulders that's more important to him, his encouragement along with Mizusawa's team support will follow the path towards her victory (Arata really observes Chihaya very well, his experience witness her knowledge will guide for the rest rounds to come): Arata you're amazing, his surprises are really something else, that's I love about our boy!!!!!
Overall a beautiful and emotional chapter Chiharata moments are special: (YES WE WANT MORE!!!!!!) xD
Jun 5, 2020 5:17 AM

Oct 2012
Ah finally the scans!!

I was really happy Chihaya got that moment with Harada Sensei! She was harsh for not even once to go and see him before the finals for some training and advice, a bit like Taichi btw who realised Harada san's importance during the Challenger....why did both of them forget their oldest "sensei" in these moments? Idk, maybe they thought they needed "new" angles to get stronger?

As for Suo it's clear his eyesight is deteriorating faster than we thought. All that bumping into stuff was pretty sad. I still hope he will be able to show his genius in front of Arata and make Arata feel true danger for once, being so close to his dream, making him finally reflect on who he really is and not a copy of his grandfather. I want Suou to give it his all now!!

Looks like Yuu is even coming to the finals.....lol, Arata's father is too much and Arata doesn't even protest ...his father must be a pretty obnoxious person, lol.

Not all the pieces are in place yet, and Chihaya is brought to tears by the rallying and thinking about Taichi..... I can't wait to see where this is going.... I want to see what Chihaya does with the "image" of Mizusawa in her mind to fight Shinobu.

Looks like Shinobu is having some physical difficulty.....she probably isn't used to playing so many matches one after the other. For sure Chihaya probably has more stamina and is sturdier than Shinobu.....why does there have to be a loser in a game.... it's always a bit heartbreaking.
Jun 5, 2020 9:47 AM
Jan 2018
AAAAAAH. That's it, yes, I just want to scream. I'm so pumped.

This chapter is so good. when Arata picked up Chihaya /AND/ the Chihaya card, I– my heart.

When Harada-sensei told Chihaya off.
yes, go off sir.

AND AND, Arata telling Chihaya to play her own Karuta. ABOUT TIME. It was amazing watching her play in Shinobu's world but dang is it gonna be amazing once she plays her own Karuta.

It's also so interesting that Arata gives Chihaya this advice when all around him are people telling him they see his grandfather in him. So what's up with that?
Jun 5, 2020 12:25 PM
Mar 2015
Glad to see Arata take action He may not know what to do about her weakness but he does know her strength he actually thought about what to say We even see his grandfather's influence In the end he told her to go with what made her strong Her own karuta her friends support He even invoked Taichi

Poor Suo He did not want to meet his relatives after 8 years this way He may be mad at Taichi for bringing them here
Jun 6, 2020 5:24 AM
Hello World!:))

Oct 2015
Nice chapter, the more they show Arata, the more I enjoy the show.
"I'll be done soon. If you wait nicely, I'll buy you some sweetbread." said Lawrence.

- I'll thank you not to treat me like a child.

"Oh, you don't want any?"

- I do.

Jun 6, 2020 1:31 PM

Oct 2019
Amazing chapter overall..

Harada Sensei absolutely trashed Chihaya with his lecture there..but what he said was essential..

Sad to see Sou the way he is now..

Arata brought some hype there at the end to motivate Chihaya and at the same time giving significance to the fact that Taichi is present but in all their hearts..

PS : Something is up with Shinobu's leg it seems..we might get to see if it plays out to something..

"Not everyone who works hard is rewarded.
But, all those who succeed have worked hard"
Jun 6, 2020 4:14 PM

Sep 2010
Fionavar said:

Typical grasping the straws method because they were oh so sure it would be Taichi who would arrive there and pick up Chihaya and was Arata (which was p. obvious because of previous chapter set that up), like the whole "jealousy" garbage they toss at Arata. Talk about misunderstanding the chapter and Arata. If anything, I feel Chihaya was the one depressed because Arata got a message from Taichi and not her (not in a romantic way, but rather in a friendship one). She was probably hurt that her best friend ignored her and ashamed to face Arata when she's a mess with Karuta. But all must be romance!! It's the ship, guys!

Anyway, I love this chapter. It makes Arata grow so much and come out his shell. Arata was trying to focus because this is very important to think and didn't want a distraction. This was painfully clear. But he got distracted despite his efforts to avoid it, he kept thinking how to help Chihaya and he made the connection about making her go back to her 'lane', about the team - as the captain of that team, that was her strongest. Not sure how they got this OMG ARATA IS JEALOUS AND TAICHICHIHAYA IS ENDGAME when the dilemma was him throwing away his focus to help Chihaya in the most important moment of his life when he shouldn't spare her a single thought until this ended. Taichi contacting him to remind him how to do it - he shouted like in those club matches, to remind them of the club mate who wasn't there, Taichi. But it was to remind her of the matches of them as a club, that's Chihaya's world, as much as Shinobu's 'friend cards' is her karuta. The others picked it up and also shouted along to encourage Chihaya.

For Arata it was a big moment he broke his focus (endangering his entire match) for a friend. He reached out Chihaya to give her advice after he had tried to build a wall between other people. He stopped thinking about Chihaya when he was cheered by his two clubmates about the Meiji matches and he reminded himself he couldn't be distracted. I mean, literally there's a scene of Arata refusing to call people, eat or engage in conversations because "he must focus" yet he's finally able to throw that away to reach out for someone. Taichi was a catalyst for him to realize how to convey what he must do and to actually speak up to assist her, rather than jealousy, I think it shows Taichi inspired him to be her support when he was no longer there to fill that role. He's not even thinking of Taichi as a rival in that scene (he doesn't see him as a rival anymore, this was clear after their match, there's zero jealousy about his reaction, rather is his struggle between his match vs his friend, and how he could vocalize this) but rather it gave him the push to be her crutch at that moment. This was huge for Arata who is very awkward and introverted, especially important because he too struggled to reach and start his own club. If anything it shows how positive and inspiring is Taichi and Arata relationship with each other.

Taichi in his role as the shoulder to cry-cheerleader-crutch was expected, but instead of going that direction, the manga had Arata break from his role to fill the empty spot he left behind and be the one who encouraged Chihaya as her support (while Taichi is the one who went 'away' like Arata but by his own selfish -but understandable- reasons, unlike Arata's family circumstances). About the "triangle", if you care about that, on one hand, it shows Taichi's importance to Chihaya and her friends (as in, she expected and wanted his support for certain), but on the other hand, it also shows Arata is capable of filling the same role now, albeit awkwardly because he's nowhere as social or extrovert.

opinionabred said:
It's also so interesting that Arata gives Chihaya this advice when all around him are people telling him they see his grandfather in him. So what's up with that?

I was thinking I think he'll try to play his own karuta, lose twice, and then win. But actually I think Arata's "own Karuta" is to play with his grandfather. Like how Shinobu does with the cards (her friends) space, and Chihaya karuta is thinking about her club. It's about your important bonds and such. That's what he means, make the opponent step in your "world", that's why he has been beating Sou, he is together with his grandpa.

That's in the end the difference of Shinobu and Chihaya. Chihaya played in her lonely world where the cards as her only friends, now is Chihaya's turn to show her world where she has a club of team mate she enjoys Karuta with (which is important because Shinobu's arc is most likely to make actual flesh and blood friends - so she has to lose to Chihaya to develop, same as Sou losing to Arata).
ThessJun 6, 2020 5:44 PM
Jun 7, 2020 2:07 AM

Nov 2007
How dare he lifts Chihaya as if she was a trophy? - Every hardcore Taichi fan ever (lol).

If Chihaya was a trophy, Arata already lifted it twice LMAO.

Kana-chan's face was so cute when she rescued Chihaya from the carnivorous Arata!

Jokes aside, while we are breaking down theories on who gets to lift the Chihaya trophy, let me tell you what really tested me and it was happening behind the scenes.

Arata probably lost his focus. He chose Chihaya over Karuta and perhaps his shot at the long cherished Meijin title. If by any means, it becomes the reason for his fall, I will lose faith in ever reading nothing better than this manga.

The other thing that scares me is the fact that he is advising Chihaya to play her Karuta while he is playing Wataya Hajime's Karuta. The only one win away from the title and the goshing over him being so good and showing them Eisei-Wataya Hajime by everyone and their uncles not helping me either. These things are just adding more to my dread.

I am a ChihArata but I will not be able to take my boi i.e. Best Boy i.e. the man of the moment Arata not becoming the Meijin that he always wanted to become when this story is told and over. I don't want a time-skip and Arata being shown as a Meijin. I want him to beat Suou and send him to his hometown.

Anyways, Chihaya lifting her face from being grilled by Harada-sensei immediately after hearing "Megane-kun" was my OTP moment.

In an ideal world, as a ChihArata, I would love it if Arata intentionally takes the title match to five games to stay around in the game so that Chihaya can win her remaining three games. But will it be worth it? Will he really going to choose Chihaya over Karuta? I hope not!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jun 7, 2020 9:32 AM

Sep 2010
iNameless_ said:

@Thess, I love your comment and I want to quote it and post it somewhere else, is this alright?
    (please don't mind me if your answer comes late and I post it anyway :p --> No I'll remove it if you tell me to xD)

I don't mind at all. Go ahead.

Edit:
shanimebib said:
I don't want a time-skip and Arata being shown as a Meijin. I want him to beat Suou and send him to his hometown.

I think Arata has to beat Sou so Sou can learn to "love Karuta" or at least like it, it's also about Sou's development unless his development is to fight for karuta in the end because he likes it. Anyway, it's not just about Arata, but also Sou's characterization here. Like Shinobu, I feel (for now) he has to lose in order to mature.
I don't know if "Your own karuta" doesn't mean you created it, but rather is the path you're the strongest and you're more comfortable with. In Arata's case, is the one he inherited from his grandfather. Kind of your "lane". Chihaya was the strongest as leader of a club than as a solo player, in her mindset, for example.

The idea of him trying a new style also occurred me, just to justify next two losses, but it may be this interpretation plus the Sou come back after his confrontation with his loved ones.
ThessJun 7, 2020 9:43 AM
Jun 7, 2020 11:19 AM

Feb 2019

@Thess, what do you think about the demonetization and the possibility for Arata's karuta to take an Araburu shape instead while Chihaya is moving towards getting the Chihayaburu form?

Jun 7, 2020 12:39 PM

Sep 2010
iNameless_ said:

@Thess, what do you think about the demonetization and the possibility for Arata's karuta to take an Araburu shape instead while Chihaya is moving towards getting the Chihayaburu form?

Was this strongly hinted? It'll be cool to have Chihaya doing her own take of Chihayaburu (maybe renamed to Chihayafuru for the title drop!). I'm still not sure what to think of Arata's karuta future. I am torn about liking both ideas/interpretation of "his karuta/world is his grandpa" and trying to search for an unique karuta (even if it fails/could fail). I think will also depend on Suo's growth arc. He has to snap and change his dislike for karuta or his character will go nowhere.
Jun 10, 2020 12:09 AM

Feb 2010
shanimebib said:
In an ideal world, as a ChihArata, I would love it if Arata intentionally takes the title match to five games to stay around in the game so that Chihaya can win her remaining three games. But will it be worth it? Will he really going to choose Chihaya over Karuta? I hope not!

Just dont, Why the hell the Author will make that kind of situation in the first place? It's BS, if for example Arata lost g3 because he's worried about Chihaya. You can do both and Arata already conveyed his advice to Chihaya anyway, take straight 3 games and become a meijin already without shounen cliches. Arata is long deserved to be the Meijin.

And i don't understand about Taichi/Chihaya fans that forced to connect everything as their ship moment and suddenly out of nowhere they are canon?

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
anime-primeJun 10, 2020 10:41 AM

Dota 2 Esports Stories are a fuckin Anime IRL Anime Sports

Jun 10, 2020 3:18 AM

Nov 2007
roppuri said:
shanimebib said:

Just dont, Why the hell the Author will make that kind of situation in the first place? It's BS, if for example Arata lost g3 because he's worried about Chihaya. You can do both and Arata already conveyed his advice to Chihaya anyway, take straight 3 games and become a meijin already without shounen cliches. Arata is long deserved to be the Meijin.

And i don't understand about Taichi/Chihaya fans that forced to connect everything as their ship moment and suddenly out of nowhere they are canon?

That's what I think. The only stumbling block between him and his title is how he seemingly allowed his focus to change from what is best for him to win to how they can both get the three wins they needed.

I think there will be a twist but seeing how Suou (Somehow I don't seem to bother about adding the suffix meijin anymore, lol) has failed to control Arata in his first two defeats were bloody Amazing already. Arata already noticed Suou's weakness without anyone having told him. That's why he is an incredible karuta player and has the stars written on him to become the Meijin. This is where we also see why Chihaya has the potential because she noticed it too. Although it took her a bit longer. He didn't as much as sway to Suou trying to unsettle him by bringing up past conversations or the person Suou wanted to play against. I will appreciate a 3-0 sweep much more than a 3-1 or 3-2 for Arata but I don't see that happening. It is more likely to go down to the 5th game for Suou's character development.

Also, this chapter once again consolidated that Arata is indeed the embodiment of perfection while pulling life energy toward him like a powerful whirlwind would pull things toward it. He is still the definition of Chihayaburu. Absolutely loved it how Kana-chan (who embodies TaiChihaya fans IRL), who just gave a narrowed eye to Arata picking Chihaya up from outside (but also from the bottom of the abyss), rather shamelessly adding "Wa" to Arata's Mizusawa battle cry!

Once again. Chihaya is a person. Not a trophy to be won. This is something a good number of Taichi fans don't seem to get because they are blinded by his story and seem to constantly and desperately trying to put him in the focus when he has been anything but for quite sometime now.

Anyhow, irrespective of my ship, Arata becoming Meijin and Chihaya becoming Queen to get the story make a full circle to the rundown Arata apartment is the single most important thing to me. Their connection is much deeper and stronger than their individual connections with Taichi. And that is one thing that remained consistent throughout this manga and no one can make me convince otherwise.

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
anime-primeJun 10, 2020 10:41 AM
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jun 10, 2020 7:02 AM

Feb 2010
shanimebib said:
That's what I think. The only stumbling block between him and his title is how he seemingly allowed his focus to change from what is best for him to win to how they can both get the three wins they needed.

I think there will be a twist but seeing how Suou (Somehow I don't seem to bother about adding the suffix meijin anymore, lol) has failed to control Arata in his first two defeats were bloody Amazing already. Arata already noticed Suou's weakness without anyone having told him. That's why he is an incredible karuta player and has the stars written on him to become the Meijin. This is where we also see why Chihaya has the potential because she noticed it too. Although it took her a bit longer. He didn't as much as sway to Suou trying to unsettle him by bringing up past conversations or the person Suou wanted to play against. I will appreciate a 3-0 sweep much more than a 3-1 or 3-2 for Arata but I don't see that happening. It is more likely to go down to the 5th game for Suou's character development.

Also, this chapter once again consolidated that Arata is indeed the embodiment of perfection while pulling life energy toward him like a powerful whirlwind would pull things toward it. He is still the definition of Chihayaburu. Absolutely loved it how Kana-chan (who embodies TaiChihaya fans IRL), who just gave a narrowed eye to Arata picking Chihaya up from outside (but also from the bottom of the abyss), rather shamelessly adding "Wa" to Arata's Mizusawa battle cry!

Once again. Chihaya is a person. Not a trophy to be won. This is something a good number of Taichi fans don't seem to get because they are blinded by his story and seem to constantly and desperately trying to put him in the focus when he has been anything but for quite sometime now.

Anyhow, irrespective of my ship, Arata becoming Meijin and Chihaya becoming Queen to get the story make a full circle to the rundown Arata apartment is the single most important thing to me. Their connection is much deeper and stronger than their individual connections with Taichi. And that is one thing that remained consistent throughout this manga and no one can make me convince otherwise.

I kinda don't want the 3-2 scenario lol, maybe yes Suou will take next game but there's no need to prolong if 3-1 is enough, we know Suou feels threatened already against Arata and it's really really good. In fact, they (Suou & Shinobu, mostly Suou) need to lose in order to develop. Chihayafuru so far is quite great at handling the power rank and make everyone has a weakness to someone. Shinobu to Arata, Arata to Chihaya, Taichi to Arata and so on.

Honestly i feel Kana is kinda OOC by giving narrowed eye like that, she should know Chihaya definitely will not feel good after those losses and it's kinda sweet Arata comes to comfort and look for her whereabouts.

I agree, Arata mostly... i really want him to become Meijin, more than shipping, but about Chihaya idk... it seems hard to sweep the score, she might not get a chance this year but 2-3 is definitely possible considering it's probably the last arc and last narrative to see Chihaya's long dream.
roppuriJun 10, 2020 9:23 AM

Jun 10, 2020 10:37 AM

Oct 2012
Well, "long dream" is a bit much. They are only 18.....Harada sensei had a "long" dream". Our trio still have many many years before them to realise their dreams....

What I like about Shinobu is that her dream really might have a certain "impact" on karuta. I really think she has taken on a great challenge. It's hard to decide who to root for between the girls.

As for the Meijin match.....well looks like Arata will lose the next one. He has to be put at least a bit into danger to let his grandfather's mask fall and become himself. But I guess the dice are thrown and he will win in the end. His whole character arc is built on becoming Meijin.....so if he loses, well idk....that would be a bomb surprise, but nah, that won't happen.

And dear Chihaya

I never understood why Shinobu and Suou need to lose to start loving karuta.....I don't get that train of thought.
Jun 10, 2020 3:36 PM

Sep 2010
roppuri said:

I think if Arata is in trouble, Chihaya-or-Taichi will be the one who would encourage him before the last match. My money's on Taichi because Chihaya would be too predictable and I think Suetsugu is trying to explore that side of the trio right now (this is my opinion, she recalls it's a trio so Arata-Taichi relationship needs more weight). I think she's trying to avoid the cliche "Taichi will cheer/support Chihaya" scenario in her lowest, that's why she had Arata do that to mentally ready her to win the next 2 matches. So she'll have his expected return but he'll be helping Arata instead, and have some touching trio moment with Taichi saying something like "Let's go to college together and start our karuta club there" thing (that sounds cheesy but something along those lines). Plus shows more dilemma for Taichi because he also cares about Sou.
ThessJun 10, 2020 3:44 PM
Jun 11, 2020 12:47 AM

Feb 2010
chiakimagoto said:
Well, "long dream" is a bit much. They are only 18.....Harada sensei had a "long" dream". Our trio still have many many years before them to realise their dreams....

To be [Queen or Meijin] is every karuta's player long dream, not just for Chihaya, regardless of age, there's nothing bit much or exaggerated here. Ofc we don't have to compare, it's just the narration, no way the author will keep making this to the age of Chihaya being 50 years old not yet to achieve her dream.

chiakimagoto said:
I never understood why Shinobu and Suou need to lose to start loving karuta.....I don't get that train of thought.

Nothing last forever, they are bound to lose their position someday. Every human beings needs challenge and defeat to grow, is that simple. And why start loving karuta? since when they don't love Karuta? they always love Karuta, expecially Shinobu, so is Suou.

Jun 11, 2020 4:31 AM

Oct 2012
roppuri said:
chiakimagoto said:

To be [Queen or Meijin] is every karuta's player long dream, not just for Chihaya, regardless of age, there's nothing bit much or exaggerated here. Ofc we don't have to compare, it's just the narration, no way the author will keep making this to the age of Chihaya being 50 years old not yet to achieve her dream.

chiakimagoto said:

Nothing last forever, they are bound to lose their position someday. Every human beings needs challenge and defeat to grow, is that simple. And why start loving karuta? since when they don't love Karuta? they always love Karuta, expecially Shinobu, so is Suou.

Yes I guess everyone loses one day..... I probably misunderstood your post cause lots of fans think, even Taichi that Suou needs to lose to realise he loves ves karuta.....that bothers me. I don't understand that necessity. I guess I just feel very sad for Suou and would prefer him to make his reverence as an Eternal Meijin.....I don't know if there will be a place for him in karuta once he loses his eyesight...... Maybe he could become a reader, with special cards he could definitely do that....maybe he won't lose his eyesight totally and be able to keep playing but I think alas this is his last year at the top, seen how he was bumping the not the wall and people his eyesight is really bad.

And I don't see why Shinobu Chan needs to lose to be "saved"....she has been changing recently, relying on new people, real people..... I know it's not healthy to rely on little gods for friends but her love for Karuta is unquestionable.....even Sensei put Myosotis in the cover with her, symbolising "true love".....I like her future plans, for herself and karuta, very ambitious and challenging, and I wonder if she doesn't need that title more than Chihaya does.
Jun 12, 2020 6:13 AM
Apr 2020
chiakimagoto said:
TBH I'm waiting for the scans.

One thing is for sure: Taichi may not be there, but he seems to always be dwelling in Chihaya's mind at the moment. She knows he won't go back to being her bestie anymore. Those times are over. Maybe for always, maybe not. That depends on several things. Taichi set the borderline. He is taking his distance, step by step. He may still love Chihaya but I don't think he wants to bother her anymore and when the cons in a relationship weigh more heavy than the pros, distancing yourself is definitely the right thing to do.

If Chihaya loves Arata she should forget about Taichi and not be "a rock" anymore, not expect anything. It's not her fault he loves her, but she should at least understand that his feelings were crushed, which she definitely understoood. Taichi obviously suffers because of this situation, so think it more than wise to keep away from something that hurts you.

If she loves Taichi, she may not be able to control her feelings and still wish for his presence. Even if he is her friend, she knows what went on between them. No one else knows what actually went down. She should understand he doesn't want to contact her anymore. I know, he could have sent her encouragement, but it's too painful so she shouldn't expect anything. The fact that she might be "hoping", is someting else.

I have a feeling that Arata might have caught onto Chihaya really feeling down. He doesn't have an idea what actually happened between Taichi and Chihaya, so really, him making that effort to "stand in" for Taichi was a nice thing to do. He might not have if he had known what was going on. He did understand, that even if the whole Mizusawa team is there, she still needs her righthand to get her support systems up. But he isn't.

In the end, even if Taichi seperated himself from Chihaya and the team, she is still bruised and longing for old times, which will never come back.

I agree with you. There is no connection there in my opinion and hopefully the author will find a nice clean way to wrap it up. But this last final matches part does not feel like a conclusion to me at all.
The real connection is with the one that has been stuck by her side, for her.
Making mistakes maybe, at times, but who's perfect. None of them is.
There is tho something deeper there or at least that is what would make sense to me.
(I know well it does not have to, at all!)
Icing on the cake he is the one that created her "happy place" where she had her game, her way.
Helping her to grow, to understand and to take responsibilities for herself and the others around.
That is something to cherish and something to suffer for, it is shown many times that the "presence" or the thought of Taichi brings awareness, hope or sorrow, he is there for the important parts. She'll realise it if she wants to, if those things are important. Always.
While Arata is there as a figurine. Clean, stable, shining far away like a goal.
Karuta you think of Arata as he is the best, Life you think of Taichi as he has been the best.
Jun 20, 2020 3:13 PM

Dec 2017
Loved how he didn't care about the box card he dropped and only valued Chihaya at that moment <3
Aug 9, 2020 12:19 AM
Dec 2015
Getting to see my ship sail :,)
favourite chapter so far getting to see Chihaya and Arata finally have a one on one conversation and same with Harada Sensei with Chihaya really refreshing.
Sep 5, 2020 12:50 PM
Apr 2018
Thess said:
Fionavar said:

Typical grasping the straws method because they were oh so sure it would be Taichi who would arrive there and pick up Chihaya and was Arata (which was p. obvious because of previous chapter set that up), like the whole "jealousy" garbage they toss at Arata. Talk about misunderstanding the chapter and Arata. If anything, I feel Chihaya was the one depressed because Arata got a message from Taichi and not her (not in a romantic way, but rather in a friendship one). She was probably hurt that her best friend ignored her and ashamed to face Arata when she's a mess with Karuta. But all must be romance!! It's the ship, guys!

Anyway, I love this chapter. It makes Arata grow so much and come out his shell. Arata was trying to focus because this is very important to think and didn't want a distraction. This was painfully clear. But he got distracted despite his efforts to avoid it, he kept thinking how to help Chihaya and he made the connection about making her go back to her 'lane', about the team - as the captain of that team, that was her strongest. Not sure how they got this OMG ARATA IS JEALOUS AND TAICHICHIHAYA IS ENDGAME when the dilemma was him throwing away his focus to help Chihaya in the most important moment of his life when he shouldn't spare her a single thought until this ended. Taichi contacting him to remind him how to do it - he shouted like in those club matches, to remind them of the club mate who wasn't there, Taichi. But it was to remind her of the matches of them as a club, that's Chihaya's world, as much as Shinobu's 'friend cards' is her karuta. The others picked it up and also shouted along to encourage Chihaya.

For Arata it was a big moment he broke his focus (endangering his entire match) for a friend. He reached out Chihaya to give her advice after he had tried to build a wall between other people. He stopped thinking about Chihaya when he was cheered by his two clubmates about the Meiji matches and he reminded himself he couldn't be distracted. I mean, literally there's a scene of Arata refusing to call people, eat or engage in conversations because "he must focus" yet he's finally able to throw that away to reach out for someone. Taichi was a catalyst for him to realize how to convey what he must do and to actually speak up to assist her, rather than jealousy, I think it shows Taichi inspired him to be her support when he was no longer there to fill that role. He's not even thinking of Taichi as a rival in that scene (he doesn't see him as a rival anymore, this was clear after their match, there's zero jealousy about his reaction, rather is his struggle between his match vs his friend, and how he could vocalize this) but rather it gave him the push to be her crutch at that moment. This was huge for Arata who is very awkward and introverted, especially important because he too struggled to reach and start his own club. If anything it shows how positive and inspiring is Taichi and Arata relationship with each other.

Taichi in his role as the shoulder to cry-cheerleader-crutch was expected, but instead of going that direction, the manga had Arata break from his role to fill the empty spot he left behind and be the one who encouraged Chihaya as her support (while Taichi is the one who went 'away' like Arata but by his own selfish -but understandable- reasons, unlike Arata's family circumstances). About the "triangle", if you care about that, on one hand, it shows Taichi's importance to Chihaya and her friends (as in, she expected and wanted his support for certain), but on the other hand, it also shows Arata is capable of filling the same role now, albeit awkwardly because he's nowhere as social or extrovert.

opinionabred said:

I was thinking I think he'll try to play his own karuta, lose twice, and then win. But actually I think Arata's "own Karuta" is to play with his grandfather. Like how Shinobu does with the cards (her friends) space, and Chihaya karuta is thinking about her club. It's about your important bonds and such. That's what he means, make the opponent step in your "world", that's why he has been beating Sou, he is together with his grandpa.

That's in the end the difference of Shinobu and Chihaya. Chihaya played in her lonely world where the cards as her only friends, now is Chihaya's turn to show her world where she has a club of team mate she enjoys Karuta with (which is important because Shinobu's arc is most likely to make actual flesh and blood friends - so she has to lose to Chihaya to develop, same as Sou losing to Arata).

I am late but thank you for this statement. These shippers always jumping the gun and making assumptions out of every tiny thing. It was Arata's moment and still making it a cannon moment for other ship, like wtf?

More topics from this board

» Problem with this manga.

Suiely_c-ute - Mar 22

3 by Suiely_c-ute »»
Mar 28, 7:51 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 247 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MaahHeim - Jul 31, 2022

197 by chiakimagoto »»
Mar 18, 1:31 AM

» Chihayafuru Sequel - Chihayafuru plus - kimi ga tame announced

ItzElite - Oct 31, 2023

19 by CelticMindset »»
Jan 2, 3:34 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 205 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2018

79 by Zooincle »»
Oct 31, 2023 9:39 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 134 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2014

15 by Zooincle »»
Oct 29, 2023 9:23 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.