Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 27, 2020 1:10 PM

Mar 2017
I've seen A LOT of people saying they don't like the anime and I'm sure a lot of those people are those who've read the webtoon... maybe it's because I'm an anime-only, but I don't get why people don't like it? I'm really enjoying it so far.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 27, 2020 1:35 PM

Mar 2020
kater_tot said:
I've seen A LOT of people saying they don't like the anime and I'm sure a lot of those people are those who've read the webtoon... maybe it's because I'm an anime-only, but I don't get why people don't like it? I'm really enjoying it so far.

You probably just have low standards. Don’t let third parties dampen your enjoyment. Ignore the hate threads I guess?
May 27, 2020 1:54 PM
Jan 2017
kater_tot said:

From what I’ve seen it’s mostly this website. A lot of anime only people seem to be loving it in reddit and other sites.
May 27, 2020 2:02 PM
May 2013
This show is downright awful. The only reason this show is getting so much attention is because almost all of the highly anticipated shows this season got delayed.
May 27, 2020 2:20 PM

May 2019
it's mostly webtoon readers who didn't like the fast pace,cuts and the changes made so far which prevented it from reaching its true potential.as for anime onlies,if you look at the score and the polls you'll realize it's doing good,not great but not bad either,but this time the haters are more vocal about it because this anime was hyped a lot.
May 27, 2020 2:25 PM
May 2018
kater_tot said:

Don't bother. If you enjoy it, then you're the winner. Don't let others who fail to enjoy it ruin your experience. If you expose yourself too much to the hate against a show, you won't be able to enjoy it as much anymore.
May 27, 2020 2:42 PM

May 2019
Lelorop said:
I disagree. That shit is ass lmao

you're a webtoon reader,right?
while i personnally think this adaptation isn't bad,i fully agree with the criticism that the directing is awful which is shame for me because i think the ost's are really good and the animation in some fights is nice.
i really hope that in season 2 (if it happens) they give the show more episodes to have a better pacing with a better director so it can fully shine otherwise peoples will remember this show as beign overhyped.
May 27, 2020 2:46 PM

Jul 2012
As an anime only, it does a really bad job at anything it wants to do. Bad world building, 0 character interaction. 0 character development. Pill sized character backgrounds that takes 10 seconds. Everything just... happens?

Honestly meh. I had better expectations.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 27, 2020 3:01 PM

Feb 2013
Shadzzo said:
As an anime only, it does a really bad job at anything it wants to do. Bad world building, 0 character interaction. 0 character development. Pill sized character backgrounds that takes 10 seconds. Everything just... happens?

Its a has some low budget issues and feels very rushed at times.

Overall I think the adaptation is OK.

It does do that stuff better in the webtoon. Also Season 1 is the worst season, So I do hope for a second season where it allow itself to improve and shine.
May 27, 2020 3:12 PM
May 2015
crossx1993 said:
Lelorop said:

while i personnally think this adaptation isn't bad,i fully agree with the criticism that the directing is awful which is shame for me because i think the ost's are really good and the animation in some fights is nice.
i really hope that in season 2 (if it happens) they give the show more episodes to have a better pacing with a better director so it can fully shine otherwise peoples will remember this show as beign overhyped.

I'm a webtoon reader (only started reading after episode 1/saw the hype around it, I am caught up with the series) and while I won't say it's ass, compared to the webtoon it's pretty ok, just average imo. TOG's biggest issue to me is the pacing. They are trying to fit about 80 or so chapters from season 1 of the comic(I don't remember how many chapters season 1 is on webtoon and tbh I'm lazy to go back and check), each chapter at least 80-100 pages, into 13 23 minute episodes. It wasn't going to work unless they cut out a crap load of stuff, and it's showing in the anime if you know what's supposed to happen. Episode 9 was really rushed (again, imo) and they forgot some info which would've helped anime onlys, such as why Quant couldn't save Rachel from Hoh, leading to him teaching Bam that skill. They're doing what they can, which I appreciate, but I also agree with others that the pacing/directing can be greatly approved. I think they shouldn't have animated ToG until they were able to secure 24 episodes for it (or however obtaining an episode count for a series works). While it would've been much slower and probably would've led to a different set of complaints, at least it wouldn't be so convoluted as it is now. I wonder if God of High School will follow the same path.

kater_tot said:

If you enjoy it, you enjoy it. People have their reasons to not like TOG, which is perfectly fine since it's their opinion. There are a couple threads that show why people don't like the series (Bam is bland, pacing, etc.) but if you like it you shouldn't let it get to you. like what you like.
YoseiEggMay 27, 2020 3:16 PM
May 27, 2020 3:31 PM

Oct 2017
Most people like it, ignore the haters
May 27, 2020 3:33 PM

Mar 2018
Those who've read the webtoon don't like(to much) the anime because it's not a good adaptation.

The details are represented in the fact that the series CUTS WAY TO MUCH CONTENT AND THE PRODUCTION IS LACKING, ESPECIALLY FOR THE ANIMATION...and because of this, it doesn't elevate the story at it's full potential.

Not once I was stopping the episode in order to check how much time passed because I was worried about some scenes not being animated or changed..and I was always dissapointed.

This could have been a production in the same league with Hunter x Hunter and universally praised and loved like AOT, the next big thing that will explode in popularity...but it will not happen.

Because of this, of course a lot of people will not like the anime since doesn't get the same treatment and respect as other adaptations in recent times....
LOOK NO FURTHER THAN DEMON SLAYER...because of the adaptation, it surpassed the source material in terms of quality, gained a lot of popularity and became generally liked by the viewers, like other very popular anime loved for good reason such as AOT and HxH that I mentioned...even though as it is right now, it's not at the same level as those two.

There might be fans of the webtoon that will like the anime, but just because of the hype they are creating and because generally, people are happy and pleased when a story that they know and like is adapted, after reading the source material...and the -anime only- viewers will go down the path of liking it or not based on the personal preferences and tastes, without knowing how good the story can actually be.

AT THIS MOMENT , I THINK ToG IS A 6+/10 AT BEST....and I don't think the adaptation will rise in quality...it's just functional, having a good art style and introducing the viewer to the story.
May 27, 2020 3:41 PM
Apr 2020
kater_tot said:

i am an anime only too
and its not that i really dislike tower of god

but more it didnt lived up to the hype it had
which left many viewers like me disappointed who were kinda expecting a lot more than we got
it still is a decent 6/10 maybe 7/10 watch specially in a dry season like this were mostly everything great got cancelled

Aardwolf94 said:

so when people dont enjoy soemthing you like and voice their opinions then they are just haters?

great mindset and i hope you dont mean by "most people" those reaction channels
who hype everything up they see
its basically their job to praise it

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
anime-primeJun 11, 2020 12:06 PM
May 27, 2020 3:49 PM

Dec 2015
It really isn't a bad show. It's just nowhere near as good as the webtoon. Decent show, poor adaptation in my opinion.
May 27, 2020 3:56 PM

May 2019
YoseiEgg said:

I'm a webtoon reader (only started reading after episode 1/saw the hype around it, I am caught up with the series) and while I won't say it's ass, compared to the webtoon it's pretty ok, just average imo. TOG's biggest issue to me is the pacing. They are trying to fit about 80 or so chapters from season 1 of the comic(I don't remember how many chapters season 1 is on webtoon and tbh I'm lazy to go back and check), each chapter at least 80-100 pages, into 13 23 minute episodes. It wasn't going to work unless they cut out a crap load of stuff, and it's showing in the anime if you know what's supposed to happen. Episode 9 was really rushed (again, imo) and they forgot some info which would've helped anime onlys, such as why Quant couldn't save Rachel from Hoh, leading to him teaching Bam that skill. They're doing what they can, which I appreciate, but I also agree with others that the pacing/directing can be greatly approved. I think they shouldn't have animated ToG until they were able to secure 24 episodes for it (or however obtaining an episode count for a series works). While it would've been much slower and probably would've led to a different set of complaints, at least it wouldn't be so convoluted as it is now. I wonder if God of High School will follow the same path.

yeah season 1 of the webtoon has so many dialogue and not many fights so i would preferred 24 episodes even if it was slow paced so the characters don't look underdeveloped and anime onlies would get all information from first season,
also i can't lie i'm a bit jealous that goh got mappa and noblesse got ig production while tog got telecom,goh trailers look so good so i'll wait and see.
May 27, 2020 4:06 PM

Aug 2017
OP people can have different opinions
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 27, 2020 4:13 PM

Mar 2020
crossx1993 said:
Lelorop said:

Yes, the webtoon is one of my favorites. Well that just contributes against my enjoyment really.

Hopefully they change the director for (hypothetical) s2.
May 27, 2020 4:32 PM

Mar 2020
Aardwolf94 said:

How adorable.

If an anime were to deviate from the source material, lessening the quality of its writing, would source-readers like myself be complacent? So we complain, but we DO address problems and contradictions created by said deviations.

For example, Endorsi’s broken heel was disregarded in the anime. Remember the pillar battle between Endorsi and Anak which ended in free fall? The webtoon justified what would generally be considered lazy writing and made it plausible; More so, fettered action to *strategy.* Anak originally aimed to break Endorsi’s foothold and pin her down. None of which was explained/explicit in the adaptation.

The problem most source-readers share (myself included) is the intellectually-demanding quality of writing had been reduced to generic shonen trope. Yes Khun is gay, yes Rak likes chocolate, yes Bam pines Rachel, yes Rachel is depressed. We don’t need recurrent scenes reinforcing elementary traits. The studio treats target-audiences like 12-year olds, that we have to constantly be reminded of character traits and motivations, repeatedly; This leads to character work feeling one-dimensional, and this goes for the entire cast, not just Bam. Khun in particular has been butchered beyond repair, as with Endori w/ Bam’s individual relationship (evident of the latest episode)

I’m sure many ‘dedicated’ viewers would share this perspective. Ofc we’re the minority but that doesn’t make the argument any less valid. Fuck yeah we’re complaining, but don’t reduce arguments, efforts, to “just hating.” From my perspective you’re “just fanboying.”
May 27, 2020 4:34 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
I don't get why a lot of people don't understand that people can hate ToG anime and the webtoon.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
May 27, 2020 4:41 PM

Mar 2020
ayaan692 said:
Aardwolf94 said:

so when people dont enjoy soemthing you like and voice their opinions then they are just haters?

great mindset and i hope you dont mean by "most people" those reaction channels
who hype everything up they see
its basically their job to praise it

Mainstream anitubers in a nutshell. Reaction channels are insincere. There’s no substance to their comments except exaggerated hype and worship.
May 27, 2020 4:57 PM

Oct 2015
People who've read the source material are always going to have different expectations to those that haven't, they're always going to compare them and notice missing dialogues, changes, rushed parts etc. Anime only's wont notice any of that because this is their first time experiencing this story.

Have you never read a manga first and been disappointed by the anime?

I dont get why anime only's make threads like this. (I am also a ToG anime only and I enjoy the show too)
XquisiteWigMay 27, 2020 5:06 PM
May 27, 2020 5:08 PM
Oct 2018
It's not really that exciting to watch. The pacing just feels off.
May 27, 2020 5:21 PM

Jun 2013
Honestly, I'm not sure why you're bothered that other people don't enjoy it? Who cares what they think? If you like it then that's awesome for you. Don't pay attention to the negativity. I like it so far, as an Anime only, I've only read like 10 chapters in the webtoon and don't really want to read through it so I've read some spoilers online to quench my curiosity. I might read it someday but definitely not now since I have a lot of manga series I'm following.

Anyway, everyone is entitled to their own opinion whether they like it or not. I appreciate that a Korean webtoon got a Japanese adaptation. However, to be honest, with the episodes they've shown so far, it's a pretty generic shounen and some people are just tired of seeing the same thing over and over again.
臭い-
May 27, 2020 5:30 PM

Oct 2017
Lelorop said:
Aardwolf94 said:

How adorable.

If an anime were to deviate from the source material, lessening the quality of its writing, would source-readers like myself be complacent? So we complain, but we DO address problems and contradictions created by said deviations.

For example, Endorsi’s broken heel was disregarded in the anime. Remember the pillar battle between Endorsi and Anak which ended in free fall? The webtoon justified what would generally be considered lazy writing and made it plausible; More so, fettered action to *strategy.* Anak originally aimed to break Endorsi’s foothold and pin her down. None of which was explained/explicit in the adaptation.

The problem most source-readers share (myself included) is the intellectually-demanding quality of writing had been reduced to generic shonen trope. Yes Khun is gay, yes Rak likes chocolate, yes Bam pines Rachel, yes Rachel is depressed. We don’t need recurrent scenes reinforcing elementary traits. The studio treats target-audiences like 12-year olds, that we have to constantly be reminded of character traits and motivations, repeatedly; This leads to character work feeling one-dimensional, and this goes for the entire cast, not just Bam. Khun in particular has been butchered beyond repair, as with Endori w/ Bam’s individual relationship (evident of the latest episode)

I’m sure many ‘dedicated’ viewers would share this perspective. Ofc we’re the minority but that doesn’t make the argument any less valid. Fuck yeah we’re complaining, but don’t reduce arguments, efforts, to “just hating.” From my perspective you’re “just fanboying.”

I have read the source material too and honestly ToG is just a generic Shounen (but executed well), only really unique part is the worldbuilding. But the characters and overall story are as tropey as it gets.

So I don't think S1 is somehow not representing it right (its been a while since I read the first part of the webtoon but I don't remember it being intellectually demanding tbh), even if some things are dumbed down even further.

Also I'm saying that most fans of the source material seem to like it too, at least that's what I have noticed on r/TowerofGod
Aardwolf94May 27, 2020 5:36 PM
May 27, 2020 5:53 PM

Mar 2020
Aardwolf94 said:
Lelorop said:

How adorable.

I have read the source material too and honestly ToG is just a generic Shounen (but executed well), only really unique part is the worldbuilding. But the characters and overall story are as tropey as it gets.

So I don't think S1 is somehow not representing it right (its been a while since I read the first part of the webtoon but I don't remember it being intellectually demanding tbh), even if some things are dumbed down even further.

Also I'm saying that most fans of the source material seem to like it too, at least that's what I have noticed on r/TowerofGod

Read the latest “webtoon-reader episode discussion” thread from that subreddit then. Mostly complaints and disappointment. I can understand if you don’t think too highly of the source-material. It can be very subtle at times.
May 27, 2020 6:05 PM

Oct 2017
Lelorop said:
Aardwolf94 said:

Read the latest “webtoon-reader episode discussion” thread from that subreddit then. Mostly complaints and disappointment. I can understand if you don’t think too highly of the source-material. It can be very subtle at times.

I'll do that but from what I saw two weeks ago or so the reception was mostly positive.

I do like the source material, just saying its pretty generic Shounen. The first Part (so what this anime is adapting) was still rather unique in comparison with the content later on
May 27, 2020 6:13 PM

Mar 2020
Aardwolf94 said:
Lelorop said:

I'll do that but from what I saw two weeks ago or so the reception was mostly positive.

I do like the source material, just saying its pretty generic Shounen. The first Part (so what this anime is adapting) was still rather unique in comparison with the content later on

Fair enough. Although I would say most of the complaints are from source-readers, not anime-onlies. Episode 7 was pretty controversial as well, might wanna check that out.
May 27, 2020 6:31 PM

Jan 2016
It's nothing special, if this anime was not based on a webtoon, nobody would be talking about it.

"Get your tentacles off me or ill make calamari out of your manhood" -Mirai Nikki Dub
May 27, 2020 7:02 PM

May 2011
VivavideoUserJP said:
It's nothing special, if this anime was not based on a webtoon, nobody would be talking about it.

I think I agree with you. I would most likely have dropped this anime if I haven't read the source material. I find the execution and directing feels very clunky, and the characters are really hard to relate to due to character inconsistency. The way it presented the world is really uninteresting and dumb if I have to be honest.

Also, most people are only commenting that they are disappointed, or not liking how differently it's being directed. They are just stating their opinion and I don't think they are actively hating on the anime itself. I find it quite ironic when some anime-only people keeps calling them out and hating on them.

And of course, if you enjoy the anime, then just enjoy it. I, myself, have enjoyed those rather less popular ones, and I do like to read about others opinions on why they didn't enjoy it as much (and not just merely saying the anime is shit). It gives me some insights on things that I may have missed.
May 27, 2020 7:10 PM

May 2018
Let me address the elephant in the room. Not many people mention this but another reason is also because it's Korean and not Japanese.For Weeb elitist,

anime = Japanese only

So when a Korean manhwa got adapted into anime and receive hype,it trigger them. Weeb are not open minded. Yes,racism is also part of the reason for the hate. Even before Tower of God anime got announced, there are many people here who dislike the fact Korean and Chinese anime and comic being added in Myanimelist database.Before the first episode even air,there are already hatred towards Tower of God. Another reason is because it's overhype.
Papa_ScorchMay 27, 2020 7:20 PM
May 27, 2020 8:36 PM
Oct 2015
Gorochu said:
Let me address the elephant in the room. Not many people mention this but another reason is also because it's Korean and not Japanese.For Weeb elitist,

anime = Japanese only

So when a Korean manhwa got adapted into anime and receive hype,it trigger them. Weeb are not open minded. Yes,racism is also part of the reason for the hate. Even before Tower of God anime got announced, there are many people here who dislike the fact Korean and Chinese anime and comic being added in Myanimelist database.Before the first episode even air,there are already hatred towards Tower of God. Another reason is because it's overhype.

i absolutely agree the exact same thing happened when radiant came out a french manga series,
and all the anime elitests started criticizing it for cliches etc, when other more shitty series like mha literally use the exact same boring troupe,
half of all these criticisms people have of tog for being just a generic shounen with literally no points to back it up and when the do bring up a point its always something extremely stupid like oh the art is bad or whatever world building is bad with no explanation ,
then the same idiots praise demon hunter for being a god send when its complete garbage story being carried by its animation studio.

lets face it people are hating on this because it was korean.
May 27, 2020 10:23 PM

May 2016
Pretty much Darling In the Franxx and MHA fanboys all over when no one likes the shows.

I don't plan to watch it at all.

May 28, 2020 1:05 AM
May 2020
You ask why?It's very simple, because it's a nonsense anime Which has been enlarged by Manhwa fans to the size of an top anime.They even claimed that the anime would reach 8.50!
May 28, 2020 1:13 AM
Nov 2015
TheGoldenCatch said:
This show is downright awful. The only reason this show is getting so much attention is because almost all of the highly anticipated shows this season got delayed.

weird take my dude. The music and art in itself make it a pretty great show to watch. In terms of the plot I can't find anything to complain about yet, probably because I'm an anime only. Call it average if you want but in no means is it "downright awful"
May 28, 2020 1:40 AM

Jan 2013
I haven't read the webtoon and my main reason for disliking this is that it's confusing and messy. They barely explain anything, at this point I don't know what the characters are doing anymore and what's the reason behind it. It feels like watching random characters doing random things in a random setting.
fuyukiMay 28, 2020 1:44 AM
May 28, 2020 2:23 AM
Apr 2020
kater_tot said:

actually there are a lot of ppl who likes this anime.
May 28, 2020 4:02 AM
Dec 2018
Remember Sao wasnt bad, it was the internet that gave it bad rep, enjoy it
May 28, 2020 4:11 AM

Oct 2013
I'm an anime-only and it's trash.

Webtoon readers are the main defenders of ToG but even they are becoming more and more let down by the adaptation.
May 28, 2020 5:21 AM

Feb 2013
fuyuki said:
I haven't read the webtoon and my main reason for disliking this is that it's confusing and messy. They barely explain anything, at this point I don't know what the characters are doing anymore and what's the reason behind it. It feels like watching random characters doing random things in a random setting.

Ya the Adaptation has been very So-So in how it was handled.

They keep jumping scene to scene without letting things slow down to process what going on. The info or most of it is there in the anime, But it difficult to process Especially in a single viewing.
May 28, 2020 5:26 AM

Mar 2019
It's just another seasonal trash overhyped show like Ishozoku Reviewers. I made a review on ToG, feel free to read it to get an idea.
May 28, 2020 7:26 AM

Mar 2017
Lelorop said:
kater_tot said:

You probably just have low standards. Don’t let third parties dampen your enjoyment. Ignore the hate threads I guess?

As long as I have fun watching an anime, it's good in my opinion... does what it's meant to haha Yeah, I'm already prepared for people to heap a pile of shit on me for my opinion

PoisonedTea said:
Shadzzo said:

Its a has some low budget issues and feels very rushed at times.

Overall I think the adaptation is OK.

It does do that stuff better in the webtoon. Also Season 1 is the worst season, So I do hope for a second season where it allow itself to improve and shine.

You guys have to remember though that this is Crunchyroll's first time producing an anime so I guess they'd have pretty s meh budget

anime-primeJun 11, 2020 1:16 PM
May 28, 2020 7:31 AM
May 2020
Frankly, since this anime was announced, and I see incredible fame there are people saying it will be the best anime this year and people say this anime will revolutionize .... So I decided to watch it. 9 episodes have passed and I have not seen anything that makes me dazzled frankly. Honest story as a very good idea and the characters are distinct and I can hang on to it I can count 5 characters I got my attention but unfortunately implementation was not good drawing I got used to it but the movement is bad so far we did not see a good fight with wonderful animation in short this is just an ordinary anime did not deserve all of those Noise but I'm fair there is still I think about 4 episodes maybe we'll see something that makes me change my mind
May 28, 2020 8:02 AM

May 2014
Obviously people have different views and I wouldn't recommend worrying about other people's thoughts on any given piece of media. Just enjoy what you like watching :)

In response to your question, I too am an anime only watcher, though I feel like the show has been terribly inconsistent and confusing with poor development/world building. An anime adaptation in my mind needs to be able to stand on its own, and ToG has failed to do that from my perspective. But hey, it does make me want to check out the source material to see if that's any better, so at least it got me interested.
May 28, 2020 11:36 AM

Oct 2019
It's not good that's why people don't like it. Why was there a need to create a thread? Tog has 8+ score already so I don't get why people think tog gets a lot of hate

May 28, 2020 2:06 PM

Mar 2017
Full_anime_Fan said:
It's not good that's why people don't like it. Why was there a need to create a thread? Tog has 8+ score already so I don't get why people think tog gets a lot of hate

Because I was just curious about what in particular people disliked about the anime. Also, the score is high but there is a lot of negative comments about it. Plus, from my experience, the rating of an anime doesn't necessarily reflect how well received an anime
May 28, 2020 2:55 PM

Mar 2020
katie_potaty said:
Full_anime_Fan said:

Because I was just curious about what in particular people disliked about the anime. Also, the score is high but there is a lot of negative comments about it. Plus, from my experience, the rating of an anime doesn't necessarily reflect how well received an anime

You asked for this. I already have a strong salt-boner.

Ok, webtoon-reader negativity is pretty self-explanatory.

Let’s consider an *anime-only* perspective. If I had to guess...
-Bland protagonist
-shonen-trope overabundance
-HxH wannabe
-mildly predictable
-power creep
-choppy/stiff animation
-overhype causing unrealistic expectation
-constant exposure from the community, literally every anituber out there is sucking ToG dry
-lack of any standout features
-one dimensional characters
-k-pop
-uninspired visuals (ED/OP)
-complete miss of comedy; Rak eating chocolate and chibi-cuts are supposedly funny to some people, but not me. It breaks any tension or potential investment in this world. There are no stakes because the protagonist is super saiyan, and everything seemingly resolved through “luck.” Poor justification ruins my enjoyment.

*Maybe it’s just my opinion but the ost is very lacking, not a fan of forced dubstep. Poorly timed and failed attempt to build ‘hype.’

Note that I haven’t taken effort to list the ‘positive’ features. I genuinely think there aren’t any, save for the artstyle and initial premise. AO might find world-building to be proficient, but source-material proves that in itself, is nothing more than wasted potential.
LeloropMay 28, 2020 3:03 PM
May 28, 2020 4:47 PM
May 2020
Can see some people are disappointed at poor actions, and i say they have wrong expectations toward ToG. Honestly saying, if you read the original source for the first time, do not expect this to have any impressive actions cuz it doesn't have any. From the very beginning to the most recent chapter. Its a disgrace to every other action genre webtoon/manga to call ToG an action-webtoon.

Can see some people are disappointed at how protagonist is such a simp and never being proactive. Fair point, but in a long term, slow development of character is much better than ruining the character during a rapid development (e.g naruto).

Can see some people are disappointed how there is no story development. For these people, I want to remind them that this is an adaptation of the first season of the series which is a prologue. A fucking prologue. Its an appendix with a little bit of story within it.

Can see some people dont like the art. Well cant say much about that lol. Different people have different taste although this animation does look quite low in budget, But i dont mind.

And here i am still ranting about the adaptation because it is missing so many essential information. There are important world-building particles consistently introduced during the first season and yet the adaptation ignores a lot of it. Because of this, many of characters' actions don't make sense at all. One of the beauties of ToG lies in the plausibility and how each character acts according to their own ideology. Animation decides to ignore these and instead put some random things like Rak's memed chocolate bars (k. maybe i kinda liked it but wouldve be better if they put something else give that they have only 13 episodes for whole season to be adapted). The fact is that, theoretically it would not take too much time to show us these important particles. Just few lines instead of the useless ones. And thats it. While animation itself can be original and genuine, it doesn't mean it can ignore the basis of the original source. Big disappointment. Thinking of analyzing the show after the final episode but man it already is quite mediocre.
May 28, 2020 6:36 PM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
Neostorm-X said:

You sound ridiculous. It's not because it's from korea. Anime are stand alone products, and mostly watched from an anime only perspective. Whether it's good or not, it's depended on how well it presented not what the fanbase say based on the original source in such that it will get better, then compare this 13 eps to something else 100+ eps. This set the standard level pretty high for a short anime. There are already plenty of anime from korea origin. Yet people acting like there's hate toward korea stuffs as if this is the first Korea origin anime

Ragnarök The Animation (2004) - Korean manhwa -> MMORPG -> anime (no one talk about it)
Blade of the Phantom Master (2004) - korean manhwa -> anime (no one talk about it)
Fuyu no Sonata (2010) - Korean tv drama -> anime (no one talk about it)
Blade and Soul (2014) - Korean game -> anime (btw good game/anime, but people barely talk about it.)
Kurokami the Animation (2009) & Freezing (2011) / Freezing Vibration (2013) - korean creators specialized in manhwa, shifted to manga style black and white format. Thus, got their 2 series into anime adaptation. Again, no one talk about them.
Same goes to other series made by foreign country like Chinese manhua/webtoon with anime adaption, or western series that are Supernatural/Iron Man/Batman/X-Men/etcs with anime adaptation, there's barely a community that talks about it. No one care before and now.
Japan also have their own webtoon such as Relife and Nanbaka. They weren't hype. Once the season ended, they were forgotten and people stop talking about it.

ToG release with crunchyroll massive advertising their so called originals - people acting like "wow this never happened before". Yes, you might not think this way. However, there are people who think like this. Hence, now there is a ton of arguments between people.

Hate and dislike aren't the same. Stop stereotyping everyone to one group. That's literally say that people who think it is average or normal series are haters.

If this webtoon anime isn't good after it ended, there will always be other webtoon anime such as GoH and Noblesse. Maybe these or future webtoon anime like solo leveling, the breakers, etcs will help webtoon gain its popularity. It's not the end of the world.
Fuwa_sanMay 30, 2020 12:17 AM
May 28, 2020 7:31 PM
May 2020
xkazutox said:
Neostorm-X said:

You sound ridiculous. It's not because it's from korea. Anime are stand alone products, and mostly watched from an anime only perspective. Whether it's good or not, it's depended on how well it presented not what the fanbase say based on the original source in such that it will get better, then compare this 13 eps to something else 100+ eps. This set the standard level pretty high for a short anime. There are already plenty of anime from korea origin. Yet people acting like there's hate toward korea stuffs as if this is the first Korea origin anime

Ragnarök The Animation (2004) - Korean manhwa -> MMORPG -> anime (no one talk about it)
Blade of the Phantom Master (2004) - korean manhwa -> anime (no one talk about it)
Fuyu no Sonata (2010) - Korean tv drama -> anime (no one talk about it)
Blade and Soul (2014) - Korean game -> anime (btw good game/anime, but people barely talk about it.)
Kurokami the Animation (2009) & Freezing (2011) / Freezing Vibration (2013) - korean creators specialized in manhwa, shifted to manga style black and white format. Thus, got their 2 series into anime adaptation. Again, no one talk about them.
Same goes to other series made by foreign country like Chinese manhua/webtoon with anime adaption, or western series that are Supernatural/Iron Man/Batman/X-Men/etcs with anime adaptation, there's barely a community that talks about it. No one care before and now.
Japan also have their own webtoon such as Relife and Nanbaka. They weren't hype. Once the season ended, they were forgotten and people stop talking about it.

ToG release with crunchyroll massive advertising their so called originals - people acting like "wow this never happened before". Yes, you might not think this way. However, there are people who think like this. Hence, now there is a ton of arguments between people.

Hate and dislike aren't the same. Stop stereotyping everyone to one group. That's literally say that people who think it is average or normal series are haters.

If this webtoon anime isn't good after it ended, there will always be other webtoon anime such as GoH and Noblesse. Maybe these or future webtoon anime like solo leveling, the breakers, etcs will help webtoon gain its popularity. It's not the end of the world.

and also how zefa vs luffy was directed by the korean director, who is currently the head director for GoH animation. Such involvement has been already there for a while.
May 28, 2020 7:50 PM

Apr 2009
People just hate anything hyped

Lelorop said:
katie_potaty said:

You asked for this. I already have a strong salt-boner.

Ok, webtoon-reader negativity is pretty self-explanatory.

Let’s consider an *anime-only* perspective. If I had to guess...
-Bland protagonist
-shonen-trope overabundance
-HxH wannabe
-mildly predictable
-power creep
-choppy/stiff animation
-overhype causing unrealistic expectation
-constant exposure from the community, literally every anituber out there is sucking ToG dry
-lack of any standout features
-one dimensional characters
-k-pop
-uninspired visuals (ED/OP)
-complete miss of comedy; Rak eating chocolate and chibi-cuts are supposedly funny to some people, but not me. It breaks any tension or potential investment in this world. There are no stakes because the protagonist is super saiyan, and everything seemingly resolved through “luck.” Poor justification ruins my enjoyment.

*Maybe it’s just my opinion but the ost is very lacking, not a fan of forced dubstep. Poorly timed and failed attempt to build ‘hype.’

Note that I haven’t taken effort to list the ‘positive’ features. I genuinely think there aren’t any, save for the artstyle and initial premise. AO might find world-building to be proficient, but source-material proves that in itself, is nothing more than wasted potential.

I really cant help but laugh at these.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
anime-primeJun 11, 2020 1:19 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kami no Tou Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 15, 2020

336 by Ratris_Decision »»
Apr 19, 1:10 AM

Poll: » Kami no Tou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 1, 2020

591 by Ratris_Decision »»
Apr 16, 3:12 AM

» Is Tower of God Worth Watching or Reading?

Cherish-Life - Mar 14

16 by Madhukar13g »»
Mar 27, 11:02 PM

Poll: » Kami no Tou Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

SingleH - Jun 24, 2020

459 by TayWilliams »»
Mar 7, 9:28 AM

Poll: » Kami no Tou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Jun 17, 2020

456 by Kira_ga_Kiru »»
Feb 23, 11:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.