Forum Settings
Forums

You ever look at scores of anime that are labeled a 8 or 9, but think should be lower?

New
Apr 19, 2020 2:16 PM

May 2017
I don’t know how much this doesn’t get asked around here, but I’ve been seeing mainly scores of anime get spammed with 8’s, 9’s and sometimes 10’s.

I get anime is subjective, but do you think people are baiting other users by spamming scores like this to anime that’s not that great in the first place?
Apr 19, 2020 2:18 PM
Sep 2016
It depends. If the show is good, then it likely deserves an 8/9/10. If it is not, then the ranking is probably not deserving of an 8/9/10.

Opinions are subjective though.
Apr 19, 2020 2:19 PM
Aug 2015
All the time, it stresses me that natsume-yuujin shit is on the first 50 page just to name one thing
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 19, 2020 2:19 PM
May 2018
Well, Clannad series is garbage that is all about bullying, and, IMO, it deserves 1/10.

If you are curious about what I mean, search for my old posts about Yohei Sunohara, and how much he suffered at the hand of that garbage Tomoya, and other sluts.
Apr 19, 2020 2:22 PM

May 2019
As you said, anime is subjective and we shouldn't judge each other's tastes so much.

This being said, when I read the title the Clannad series immediately came to my mind. How did After Story get such a high score, it's still a mystery for me. Well, everyone has their own opinion...

Edit: Someone said it before me lol:
Psajdak said:
Well, Clannad series is garbage that is all about bullying, and, IMO, it deserves 1/10.

If you are curious about what I mean, search for my old posts about Yohei Sunohara, and how much he suffered at the hand of that garbage Tomoya, and other sluts.

I gave it a 5 and I was being generous.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Apr 19, 2020 2:26 PM

Jun 2016
Yeah but I have accepted that most mal scores are different from what I rate and I can't do anything about it. Scores on more obscure shows are closer to what I rate so I trust those more.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Apr 19, 2020 2:28 PM

Aug 2018
I know that

taste is subjective™

but Overlord is objectively terrible and does not deserve an 8/10 rating
Apr 19, 2020 2:28 PM

Aug 2018
Apr 19, 2020 2:32 PM
Jul 2018
albertbrown said:
do you think people are baiting other users by spamming scores like this to anime that’s not that great in the first place?
Where were you when shit hit the fan last season, OP?
Apr 19, 2020 2:35 PM

Oct 2013
Yeah of course but 5 seconds later I realise score don't matter
Especially not on MAL
Apr 19, 2020 3:11 PM

Jul 2019
Yup, but then I realize that they are mostly seasonals. The moment they finish airing their rating drops. 6 months later, no one remebers that they ever existed.
Apr 19, 2020 3:17 PM

Aug 2016
Most of the time, as well as thinking some scores should be higher.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Apr 19, 2020 3:17 PM

Dec 2014

Congrats on opening the 32033439483853989400942th thread that as this stupid question...
Apr 19, 2020 3:19 PM

Aug 2018
kronopy said:

Congrats on opening the 32033439483853989400942th thread that as this stupid question...

congrats on being the billionth MAL member to make that complaint
Apr 19, 2020 3:20 PM

Dec 2017
Just by looking without watching? No, but I do agree with the post above that the scoring system here on MAL is inflated.

After watching a show, hell yeah.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Apr 19, 2020 3:32 PM

Apr 2013
no.

I've seen plenty of times where I rated a show way, WAY lower than its average MAL score. But I've never felt like the average score "should be lower".
The average score reflects how much peoples liked a show in average. So as long as the score is not manipulated by bots, brigade voting or multiple accounts, it's exactly where it should be.
Apr 19, 2020 3:33 PM

Nov 2015
some anime like Demon slayer for me is bad but i can see why people like it so it deserve 8. ..so i dont think that anime above 8.5 do not deserve their rating .

Apr 19, 2020 3:48 PM

Oct 2018
The scores I give to anime, are based on my values only.
I don't care what anyone else thinks of my scores/anime, even if those scores alter the overall community scoring.
The scoring used, is for my own referencing, because my memory is s**t, and I probably forgot 90% of any anime I watched 10 years ago... the scoring help me to remember.
████████▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▀███████
██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀██████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█████
████░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░████
████░░▄██████████░░░░░░██▀░░░▀██▄░░████
████░░███████████░░░░░░█▄░░▀░░▄██░░████
█████░░▀▀███████░░░██░░░██▄▄▄█▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░░▄▄▀░░░████░░░▀▄▄░░░░░██████
█████░░░░░█▄░░░░░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░█▄░░░█████
█████░░░▀▀█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀██▀▀░░█████
██████░░░░░▀█▄░░█░░█░░░█░░█▄▀░░░░██▀▀▀▀
▀░░░▀██▄░░░░░░▀▀█▄▄█▄▄▄█▄▀▀░░░░▄█▀░░░▄▄
▄▄▄░░░▀▀██▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄███░░░▄██▄
██████▄▄░░▀█████▀█████▀██████▀▀░░▄█████
██████████▄░░▀▀█▄░░░░░▄██▀▀▀░▄▄▄███▀▄██
Apr 19, 2020 3:50 PM

Mar 2019
I think that all the battle shonen are very overrated, sure you rate what you enjoy, but objectively speaking, 90% of them aren't exactly worthy of the score they have *caugh* demon slayer one piece *caugh*
Apr 19, 2020 4:00 PM

Aug 2015
I see anime with a 7 rating that need to be lower
Metal, games, and good friends make life worth living
Discord: kingkrazy#0336
Apr 19, 2020 4:02 PM
Jul 2018
Gintama: the most generic anime comedy I've seen. The style of humor, the execution, it all screams anime comedy 101: characters overreacting to the smallest harmless things, while pointing out the joke (which is always terrible to do).

Your Name: great visuals, cool premise...that's literally it. The romance in this film was so non-existent that I swear, I'm not exaggerating, I PROMISE you, I did not even realize this was a romance film, I did not even realize the main characters were in love, until halfway when they explicitly said they were in love.

A Silence Voice: pretty good, but...I don't know. Thinking back, it may have been kind of melodramatic.

Owarimonogatari 2nd season: I mean...I've always felt this series was overrated because of how unnatural and up its ass the dialogue is.

Demon Slayer: based on what I've seen of it, and heard of it, it's just an unremarkable anime. The animation is great apparently, but...that's it.

Mushishi: I love this series, but it's...plays itself too safe. Once you've seen one ep of Mushishi, you've seen all of it.
Apr 19, 2020 4:03 PM
Feb 2017
Shield Hero. I remember it use to be 8.2+, thankfully it’s at 8.06 now and is slowly dropping. That show was just an utter disappointment, I have a love-hate relationship as the first few episodes were great but then it nosedived hard.

@RealTheAbsurdist

Was the dialogue in the Monogatari series suppose to be “natural”? Isn’t it being unnatural the appeal to the show?
Apr 19, 2020 4:04 PM

Dec 2019
Passing by to say Noragami is boring and doesn't deserve the hype and the rating it has.
                                                         🖤   

Apr 19, 2020 4:27 PM
Jul 2018
BlakexEkalb said:

@RealTheAbsurdist

Was the dialogue in the Monogatari series suppose to be “natural”? Isn’t it being unnatural the appeal to the show?

It's possible to have characters in a story talk about deep subjects, in a way that is natural. Like, the average pair of bros in real life don't just suddenly talk about the meaning of life (especially when they're teenagers, like in Monogatari); they have a smaller conversation that leads up to that big idea. For example. if two people in real life watched Fate/Zero, talked about the show, then Kiritsugu's utilitarianism ideals would come up, which would then lead to a conversation about utilitarianism. Writing characters this way, vs having them just suddenly talk about serious, "intellectual" topics, is much harder.
I remember the Monogatari series always trying to sound "intellectual," but I never felt it WAS intellectual. For example, in Nisemonogatari, all the dialogue about "fakes vs the real thing" was so bullshit, I recall thinking, that I found it pretentious; like, how do these ideas apply to real life?
I remember how natural the conversations of sin vs pleasure in Fate/Zero felt between Kirei and Gil. Firstly, they're grown-ass adults, so they're naturally more interested in deeper subjects compared to teenagers; 2nd, I remember their conversations would start off small ("what would you wish from the Grail?") then branch off into something bigger.
Apr 19, 2020 4:34 PM

Sep 2014
At first I was going to reply an unoriginal sarcastic comment, but then I remembered that people actually raided MAL by giving free loads of 10 to a shitty ecchi anime just to trigger an external website which obviously couldn't care less about what's going on here on MAL.

So my answer would actually be yes. There are hidden baits in those scores.
Apr 19, 2020 4:40 PM

Jun 2012
Individuals holding similarly high opinions of a show they like is not spamming, lol. What an odd turn of phrase.
Apr 19, 2020 6:41 PM

Jan 2019
people like what they like. your standards of a "10" anime is just different than others.

many people, like myself, aren't very critical of the shows they watch. if it entertains, it's likely going to get a pretty high score from me.

maybe op, instead of framing people enjoying shows more than you as "baiting", you should just ignore the mal scores.

animeanimeanime

Apr 19, 2020 7:00 PM
Mar 2019
Psajdak said:

He's a comic relief character, the beat down he goes through is just part of the gag, you probably didn't watch after story but sunohara gets a proper arc with proper development like all the female characters and he even goes on to get a proper job and life, the writers didn't do him dirty. You just don't understand what comedy is.
Apr 19, 2020 7:08 PM
Mar 2019
I mean, taste is subjective so there may be an anime you consider to be trash but others may consider to be 10/10. For me, I'd say made in Abyss is overrated asf, didn't like the characters or their motivations for going into the abyss which they knew was a fucked up place, although the ost was great.
Apr 19, 2020 7:12 PM

Apr 2011
The ignore feature comes handy for threads like these.
Apr 19, 2020 7:14 PM

May 2015
albertbrown said:
I don’t know how much this doesn’t get asked around here, but I’ve been seeing mainly scores of anime get spammed with 8’s, 9’s and sometimes 10’s.
Bait? This is asked like once every week in a form or another.

I get anime is subjective, but do you think people are baiting other users by spamming scores like this to anime that’s not that great in the first place?
>Subjective taste: you might think it's not that great but they do.

>Positive mentality: "I finished it and it was entertaining", "(I'll pretend that with high scores) I am showing respect to the work the creators put in the anime".

>Different grading scale: a 7 is a low rating, 8 not that bad, 9 good and 10 great.

>External factors: get influenced by the community/hype/memes/other factors that increase their perceived quality of the show.

>Biased: yes a randomly generated list should show a bell curve distribution of ratings but we don't choose what anime to watch randomly (at least the overwhelming majority don't), most people choose anime that are popular or have some appeal to them making it more likely to rate highly.

>Many other reasons.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 19, 2020 11:16 PM

Jul 2019
Yes. Like Seven Deadly Sins is still above 8 but I think it would better fit somewhere in the mid 7. And FMA:B should not be the number 1 anime. I do understand why it is that popular but I find it not that good. I have started it but I haven't got past episode 10 because of boredom.
Apr 19, 2020 11:36 PM

Apr 2019
Is there anything that is systematically over/under-rated by the community as a whole?
Looking at any given series I'd say no, provided the sample size is large enough. At the end of the day its an average, so ignoring trolls/bots should be representative.
Looking at subsets and groups of animes I would say yes - newer anime benefits from recency bias; similarly older anime is not rated as highly as it should be as the visuals are compared to modern standards. I have no statistical evidence for that its just an empirical observation.

Anyway, the bottom line is a MAL 8 doesnt say much because literally everything is rated in a range around 7.5-8.5.

I did a regression of MAL scores vs my own the results were
MAL = 7.1 + Myscore*0.15

In other words my mapping table looks like
My = MAL
1 7.25
2 7.40
3 7.55
4 7.70
5 7.85
6 8.00
7 8.15
8 8.30
9 8.45
10 8.60

The takeaway for me is groupthink does actually work on the whole (albeit with significant variation within the buckets) as the correlation between what I think is good and what everyone else thinks is good is pretty strong. I use this as a rough guide to filter what I watch - basically anything >8.3 will for sure get a look, and anything >8 that piques my interest or covers a specific genre I like will also get picked. I also look at individuals with a high affinity to me and will add their 8/9/10s to my plan to watch list.

To answer the original post - plenty of anime rated 8 or 9 on MAL dont deserve it imo, but of course thats my opinion. To refine the original question I filtered anime rated >8.5 and looked at the largest difference to my score and the one that stood out was Gintama, which as a franchise I rated as 6.4 overall. Universally praised and acclaimed but for me, I didnt like the mish mash of serious and comedy, and thought the comedy was poor (too Japanese for me, and too adolescent for my tastes). Each to his own.
-rojazu-Apr 20, 2020 12:19 AM
Bleach is best consumed with your ears open and your eyes closed.
Apr 19, 2020 11:52 PM

Sep 2014
No, I'm not that full of myself.
The rating is meant to be average of all. If most people love it than it deserves the spot. Who are you to say a rating shouldn't be this high/low. There are many shows with average above 8 that I think are total garbage (shitgatsu comes to mind) but whatever, let people love it.

the only 'problem' might be the dishonest ratings, spamming shows with 1s just because you dislike the fanbase or because the anime is rated higher than your favourite
Apr 20, 2020 12:16 AM
May 2018
shehryar77 said:
He's a comic relief character, the beat down he goes through is just part of the gag, you probably didn't watch after story but sunohara gets a proper arc with proper development like all the female characters and he even goes on to get a proper job and life, the writers didn't do him dirty. You just don't understand what comedy is.
Yeah, I saw both seasons, rated both 1/10 when I was still rating anime/manga.

True, for some people what Yohei went through may have been comedy, but all I saw was disgusting treatment of one human being, especially in series which pushed its seriousness.

Even when something nice was done for him, it was always made with purpose to have MC shine even more, which, frankly makes me vomit.

I could write more about it, but don't wanna waste my time on such disgusting series.
Apr 20, 2020 12:35 AM
Mar 2019
Psajdak said:
shehryar77 said:
Yeah, I saw both seasons, rated both 1/10 when I was still rating anime/manga.

True, for some people what Yohei went through may have been comedy, but all I saw was disgusting treatment of one human being, especially in series which pushed its seriousness.

Even when something nice was done for him, it was always made with purpose to have MC shine even more, which, frankly makes me vomit.

I could write more about it, but don't wanna waste my time on such disgusting series.

I respect your opinion, for me personally its in my top 5 cause of how much it resonated with me but its fine if it didn't click with you, atleast you finished it before hating on it.
Apr 20, 2020 2:58 AM

Jan 2010
Is this bait thread?

I usually just went "oh, that's quite a high score, so this anime is what majority of MAL users like", and then move on.
Apr 20, 2020 3:00 AM

Sep 2015
Code Geass holy SHIT. Trash. Get it off.
Apr 20, 2020 3:06 AM

Jul 2019
epidemia78 said:
kronopy said:

congrats on being the billionth MAL member to make that complaint
A billionth means that 1 complaint/3203343948353.989400942 post of these kind of threads which is genuinely low.
You should be angry if that reaches septillion (in short scale case) range as billionth is small in compare to that whereas if you want it to be long scale then still it needs to touch quadrillion.
ChrollosWaifu said:
Code Geass holy SHIT. Trash. Get it off.
But if it's 'HOLY shit' then it is religious for people and anything related to holy is holy even it's the shit of holy.
Nefelupitou said:
I simply don't care anymore.
"After the Rain" has 7,5 meanwhile "Demon Slayer" has 8,8.

My opinion? You gotta enjoy your life for now, there'll be a day when you will start losing hair and you'll never be happy again
You got biological really quick!
Clubby said:
I think that all the battle shonen are very overrated, sure you rate what you enjoy, but objectively speaking, 90% of them aren't exactly worthy of the score they have *caugh* demon slayer one piece *caugh*
You know *Caugh* is a dangerous thing now-a-days than maybe ever.
puneetsinghApr 20, 2020 3:14 AM
Should I troll in the troll bait threads? It is kinda idiotic to be logical in the troll bait threads. Well, it will depend on my mood.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7177 by Hydra_X9K »»
10 minutes ago

» According to MAL, what are your anime hidden gems? ( 1 2 3 )

NoelleIsSleepy - May 2

105 by nanashi796 »»
13 minutes ago

» World Masterpiece Theater are hidden gems.

Zhenro - 2 hours ago

9 by Ozpin5 »»
17 minutes ago

» Does seinen anime focus on other things besides ultra manliness?

fallout45 - 8 hours ago

28 by Nurguburu »»
31 minutes ago

» What are some anime memes from the late 2000's to early 2010's that you still remeber fondly ?

tchitchouan - 12 hours ago

4 by JustMonaka »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.