Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 4, 2020 3:54 PM

Jul 2019
Reminds me of NHK ni Youkoso. I'll just wait till it ends and see what people think cause shows like this are predictable usually but its not a bad thing. It's just that if youve seen something similar I don't feel like it's worth watching.
Apr 4, 2020 4:47 PM

Mar 2019
When I first read the synopsis, I wasn't planning on watching this at all, but I saw alot of people praising it and now I know why. This is a great start to what should be a great series, so I hope that this stays good!
Apr 4, 2020 4:49 PM

Feb 2016
This anime is full of tropes I hate, I really hope Nonaka stops being nosy and annoying, she's ruining it for me.

Hopefully this improves and she becomes less annoying...
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Apr 4, 2020 4:50 PM
Sep 2016
Really nice, quiet and slow, i really like the atmosphere it has, the three main characters so far feel likable, but also interesting and flawed, looking forward to some quiet nights watching this in the future.
Apr 4, 2020 5:02 PM

Nov 2018
A slice of life where the protagonist confesses in the first episode? what is this? common sense in a story?
Apr 4, 2020 5:08 PM

Jan 2017
I was really digging the overall vibe of the show while watching it. I want to say it's my favorite first episode from the new shows I've seen so far.
Apr 4, 2020 5:32 PM
Jun 2013
i like it. has a mature vibe that i like with a light amount of laughs and is drama/romance focused which i love. hope this is a good romance, haven't watched one in a long time
Apr 4, 2020 5:46 PM

Jan 2020
1 episode in and we already have a strong start with a rejection and a mysterious girl added into the love triangle mix
Apr 4, 2020 6:10 PM

Jan 2018
Interesting pilot episode. Slice of life never ceases to amaze me.

Looking forward to it.
Apr 4, 2020 6:14 PM
Jan 2013
this gives out the same vibe as an anime i watched long ago, after some looking this pretty much have the same premise as True Tears. emhm, not a really intriguing one, hopefully this is more mature than just some faulty romance.
Apr 4, 2020 6:15 PM
Mar 2015
Good job on the characters and setting up the triangle Amazing how everyone likes Haru
Apr 4, 2020 6:32 PM

Nov 2015
I liked pretty much everything about it. It has the same feeling as NHK, but kinda softer.
Hype confirmed, 10/10 till now
Apr 4, 2020 6:33 PM
May 2019
It pains me to think of how much I relate to Rikuo (and I can't hear that name without thinking of Darkstalkers, but I digress). Hopefully he'll have a better ending to his love life than mine (nonexistent) and I can live vicariously through him. I had a Haru briefly -_-
Apr 4, 2020 6:35 PM
Feb 2020
oneesamabence said:
syncrogazer said:
Who the fuck feeds crows?

This was nice. A lot of things going on here that I like, such as the character art and the overall atmosphere. It'd be dumb to not expect even more drama, but I hope it's not really bad melodrama.

i do feed crows from time to time. they actually started to recognize me :D it's a lot of fun

We don't feed Crows at my place but we get plenty of Magpies and Butcher Birds and the occasional Mudlark. They all have their own personalties and quirks it can bring a smile to your face. Except when you're trying to watch a show and their squawking interrupts that's a bit annoying.
Apr 4, 2020 6:43 PM
Feb 2020
A charming slice of life with a really good set of characters, Haru in particular is a star with a cheerful personality that you can't help but fall in love with she is always smiling despite the challenges and difficuties in her life. Perhaps the best first episode of the season.
Apr 4, 2020 6:47 PM

Nov 2019
Yoshida Saki is that you, I'm calling it, she has an emergence-ish backstory, heck the dreads and glasses in her flashback then she changed bruh

And damn the mc, what a beta male cuck simp
Apr 4, 2020 7:12 PM
Feb 2014
Looks like the start of something beautiful. Can't wait to see how this anime plays out.
Dokia
Apr 4, 2020 7:13 PM

Jun 2013
Great first episode. Kinda relatable
Apr 4, 2020 7:25 PM

May 2019
that was a great first episode

the animation is smooth as expected from Doga Kobo

its been a while since i watch a slice of life show

so lets see how it turns out
”A fight isn't won once a victor is decided, it's won when someone loses.” – Izayoi Sakamaki

I don’t even know the real names of the two… no, three that I killed back then. I just closed my eyes, put my hands over my ears and tried to forget it all.” – Kirito

MY ANIME LIST
Apr 4, 2020 7:42 PM
Jun 2017
This is my take after watching this one:

✓ an adult slice of life/drama/ romance genre (not student)
✓ interesting story
✓ you could FEEL the story. Just by watching Rikoi, Shinako and Haru i am sold by its story already.

A MUST WATCH...
Apr 4, 2020 7:43 PM

Jan 2011
fuck this show is so damn relate able ton of NHK vibes first time i've seen Doga kobo do a non moe SOL, i'm in also pretty wild it isn't in current times at first i was like this homie got a old ass crt hanging out in his room then the cassette showed up and bam were in the 90s fam.

Haru has a nice smile but her hair is wack
Apr 4, 2020 7:49 PM
🐰KawaiiDaikaiju🐲

Nov 2017
Going in I was assuming this took place in modern times, but MC is handed a cassette and busts out his walkman without blinking, and uses a film camera without seeming like a hipster, so I’m guessing this actually takes place around 1997, when the manga debuted? Would also help to explain his life-view as that would place it right in the middle of Japan’s economic “lost decade” 🤔
Liking it in any event 😁
“SAITO! YOU NEED TO EXPLODE! FOR THE WORLD’S SAKE!”
Apr 4, 2020 8:01 PM

Apr 2014
Wow this hits just a *little* too close to home for me.
Apr 4, 2020 8:05 PM
Mar 2019
as much as i like an enjoyable slice of life genre like Kakushigoto, I was really looking for a sol like this. This gives real life vibes and is really relateable. Oregairu, Orange, Just because, are some of the examples, and I really hope this series will turn out to be good or even better as what I have expected. Will definitely wait and watch every week for this one.
I love K-On, and so should you.

Apr 4, 2020 8:15 PM

Aug 2019
I actually liked the pacing for the first episode and i’m starting to like haku already
Apr 4, 2020 8:28 PM

Apr 2012
Not entirely sure how I feel about this show... Rikuo is an interesting enough dude, though I'm not sure his character archetype is going to carry my investment through the whole season.

Haru is playing a delicate balancing act between 'cute and bubbly' and 'fake and obnoxious'. She's on the right side of that line for now, but I'm worried it'll only get worse as things progress. This show has a sense of impending drama about it.

Then Shinako is... odd, I get the sense she only turned Rikuo down because she saw Haru coming onto him and feels like she 'owes' her in some way. I guess she's a 'kind to a fault' kind of person, but that'll be hard for specifically me to swallow if and when she starts regretting that decision when the aforementioned drama kicks in.

Basically a whole lot of "This is fine, but..." feelings from me right now. The show as a whole even feels almost more like it has the tone of a film than a TV Anime, which gives everything a weird sense of juxtaposition. Nothing quite feels right, but nothing quite feels wrong either.

It is a very bizarre middle ground, but we'll have to give this a couple more episodes to see which way it'll lean more towards.

gappasaurus said:
Going in I was assuming this took place in modern times, but MC is handed a cassette and busts out his walkman without blinking, and uses a film camera without seeming like a hipster, so I’m guessing this actually takes place around 1997, when the manga debuted? Would also help to explain his life-view as that would place it right in the middle of Japan’s economic “lost decade” 🤔
Liking it in any event 😁
This is adapted from something that came out in the 90's!?

You know what, that explains a lot about the tone of the show, actually.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
DeadlyRavenApr 14, 2020 6:11 AM
Apr 4, 2020 8:45 PM
Jun 2019
This is a kind of anime, that, as you grow older you can appreciate about it more. really great experience for the first episode, i'm sold from the first time i seen the art style. this and Oregairu season 3 will be my top pick for the season. can anyone recommend this kind of slow, chilled anime (of course with a lot of drama as the story progressed lol)? last time i watched something similar is on Just Because! and Tsuki ga Kirei..
Apr 4, 2020 9:18 PM

May 2015
After watching just one episode I have the feeling that I have found my AOTS. In spite of it being some kind of romantic drama it has a tranquil vibe that I really like and am looking for in every season. Curiously it called to my mind an old and obscure series called True Tears that I watched like seven or eight years ago, perhaps because it dealt with a love triangle as well and had a character similarly eccentric like Haru but she was obsessed with a rooster instead of a crow but this is clearly more relatable and mature in tone than that show was.
IshitatesoApr 4, 2020 9:27 PM
Apr 4, 2020 9:46 PM

Apr 2013
Really enjoyed this first episode!! The art is nice and the soundtrack too. The characters are also intriguing and I can feel for them already! I like this kind of story ~ lookin forward to more
Apr 4, 2020 10:12 PM
Jan 2019
So far this is giving me some serious Golden Time/Toradora/YLIA vibes. Not in the characters or setting, but just the general feel of the anime and the character interactions (Semi-depressed mc gets pulled around by an energetic girl and his life views change which makes him rethink his life and end up using this new world view to help the main heroine in the end). What I am hoping to see from the rest of the show is great drama mixed with some decent comedy. The characters are already relatable as hell. Overall great first episode.
Apr 4, 2020 10:14 PM

Sep 2018
Oooh, I really enjoyed that. I already know I'm going to like this, possibly become one of the best of the season. 9/10.
Apr 4, 2020 10:19 PM

Apr 2015
Seems good, already can see some drama and conflicts in future episodes. Character doesn't seems too exaggerated.

Just wanna know, how old is Haru?
Apr 4, 2020 10:31 PM
Aug 2018
alpha_shadow said:
I can't believe how slow and boring this was. It felt like I was watching it in slow motion or something. Dropped.

Well it is a Slice of Life show after all :L

FireFistYK said:
Welcome to the NHK vibes!

*sigh* looks like this season will be packed with good anime

I felt that too hahahaha

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
DeadlyRavenApr 14, 2020 6:12 AM
But that's just like... my opinion... man
Apr 4, 2020 10:34 PM

Jul 2012
Hmm, it's alright. The dialogue is a bit weird, since they speak in metaphors and quotes. I am hoping it becomes either a Tsuki ga Kirei or Honey and Clover, which is great. I'm excited to meet the other male character (cv Hanae!!!!) as well.

Grounded_mind said:
Just wanna know, how old is Haru?
Should be around 17-22 as she was in school when she bumped into him five years ago.
Apr 4, 2020 10:41 PM

Feb 2012
Promising anime! Very much enjoyed the first episode. It's somewhat realistic that it allows young adults/adults to relate.
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Apr 4, 2020 10:55 PM

Nov 2013
Damn this is actually really great! It exceeded my expectations.

The story really hits close to home, especially the MC and his attitude on life.
The despair of feeling like an outcast to society, the self deprecation from not living up to your expectations, the embarrassment you feel when others are doing well in life and you aren’t. Really like the part where MC rejects the graduation reunion as it epitomizes this feeling of inferiority when you see others’ success.
I’m interested to see why MC got rejected, as I do think the teacher does care for him. I wonder how their relationship will advance after this confession. This anime feels very realistic imo, and I’m looking forward to the character development.

I can already see this being a story where the characters lick each other’s wounds, and start to grow because of it. Haru, aka crow girl looks to be putting on a facade of optimism, while underneath more issues lie. The only thing I’m worried about is this turning into a love triangle, despite MC getting turned down.

This looks very promising. I’m on board !
Apr 4, 2020 10:57 PM

Feb 2019
This series really reminds me why I love slice of life. There wasn't anything supernatural, and things are ordinary. To some it might feel boring or ordinary, but that's exactly why I'm so drawn to it. I loved every second of this from the beginning to the end.

I loved how realistic it felt, with little forced and over-the-top drama. Like the confession, it was just that. Confession, with light music in the background, and the words are a bit over the place like a real confession would be. There was no dramatic music, shots, or sound effects, or heated inner monologues (not that I'm not a fan of those too, but I also really appreciate and love this sort of thing).

Definitely a series I'll be watching this season.
Apr 4, 2020 11:22 PM

Nov 2017
pretty sweet first episode
i did notice that the character movements looked really smooth, or was it just me?
Apr 4, 2020 11:28 PM

Mar 2019
The Hidden Gem from the Season?

Knew ANYTHING about this....

And now i want to know more from this...

"Interesting" Episode 1.
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Apr 4, 2020 11:35 PM
Jul 2014
My cup of tea right here. It already hits on all of the notes I like within a slice of life series.
Apr 4, 2020 11:38 PM

Jul 2016
Not sure what to think about this series so far. I'm just giving it a chance since the last time I watched a Doga Kobo's "serious" show (that being Plastic Memories), I had a quite pleasant experience so for now, let's see what this one can offer. Besides, both series having the same director sure is a plus.

Decent first episode overall. Like the mature atmosphere and Haru's character has me quite intrigued if I'm honest. Rikuo on the other hand... I don't know. I mean, considering the melancholic setting, I wasn't expecting him to be the most outgoing person but I find him kinda boring in both personality and dialogues. Hope my interpretation of him can change later on tho.
Apr 4, 2020 11:41 PM

Oct 2019
This was nice. A good change of pace compared to the usual high school setting. Nice atmosphere, characters are quite likeable so far and the drama is quite chilled down and realistic. I’ll definitely stick around for this one.
Apr 5, 2020 1:15 AM
Jan 2020
I'm liking the show so far its a great change of pace. Especially after the mediocrity of last season.
Apr 5, 2020 1:26 AM

Jul 2016
This is one of the show's I thought looked the most interesting out of everything this season, and it did not disappoint.

I feel like it might be one of those stories where all our problems would be solved if the main character was a bit more assertive, but I guess if the main character was a bit more assertive we wouldn't have a great story or setting like this. Besides, Haru is exactly my type, so I'm happy to watch even if I'm not such a big fan of the main character. Hell, this might become one of my favourites of the year.

I'm pretty sure this is also the last show this season I'm gonna give a shot. Everything after this looks kinda shit.
Apr 5, 2020 1:31 AM

Jun 2019
I am so lucky, i can watch this in Youtube too (Ani-One Channel) with English subtitle.
So unexpected, this is made by Doga Kobo.
Are they really sing "Yesterday"?
Apr 5, 2020 2:40 AM

Apr 2012
first anime i ever watched about real life and at the beggining i felt like it as a 'bad', 'average' and 'fine' at the same time, then it started getting better but i still have trouble scoring it cose i dont know what the goal of the anime is, like is it supposed to teach u? make u feel bad or good? also i am dead inside so thats that about real life
Apr 5, 2020 3:01 AM

Jun 2013
I really loved this one. One of the better first episodes from the entire roster of Spring Anime 2020. This is the best first episode for the adult or mature category of Anime. This is definitely way more relatable than Nami yo Kiitekure which is more comedic. I'm looking forward this series.
臭い-
Apr 5, 2020 3:24 AM
Jul 2018
A loser guy and a manic pixie dream girl with a lot of philosophizing. Not my favourite combination. I'm not sure I want to continue with this.
Apr 5, 2020 3:32 AM

Oct 2015
Slow-paced and not overdramatic, just how I like my dramatic romance series. Atmosphere and overall tone reminds me a lot of Just Because!, which is a good thing
Apr 5, 2020 3:55 AM

Aug 2011
Finally.....FINALLY.
It's been 5 years since I can actually enjoy a Doga Kobo anime.
So rare since their main focus are moe shit shows.

A wonderful first ep.

5/5
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2020

445 by Baianes »»
May 6, 2:45 PM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

zyjJanApr - May 9, 2020

150 by SadMeat »»
Jan 29, 11:09 AM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2020

160 by Stargurll02 »»
Jan 6, 12:30 PM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 25, 2020

123 by komikvalentine »»
Nov 18, 2023 11:46 PM

Poll: » Yesterday wo Utatte Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2020

204 by littlebiglyon »»
Nov 15, 2023 2:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.