Forum Settings
Forums

Which genre (or sub-genre) do you wish was used more often?

New
Mar 26, 2020 5:33 AM

Nov 2018
Which genre do you think doesn't get as much attention as it should?

I think space anime aren't coming out as often as I would like, despite quite a few gems being produced over the last 50 or so years. The only series that are continuing are the Gundam franchise and the Legend of the Galactic Heroes remake and a couple other specials and sequels seasons off to the side.

Only 13 space anime were produced throughout the entirety of last year, compared to 58 shounen anime
_cjessop19_Mar 26, 2020 6:18 AM

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time πŸ™πŸ™
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Mar 26, 2020 5:40 AM

Aug 2018
I think horror genre is on life-support and ready to die any moment now.God,when was the last horror anime?Neverland and Yami Shibai are the only horror I could remember from last year.I am hyped about Uzumaki and it is the only horror in sight this year.
Mar 26, 2020 5:42 AM

Jun 2016
Old school violent OVAs with tits and god tier animation are dead need to make a comeback
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Mar 26, 2020 5:42 AM

Jul 2014
_cjessop19_ said:

I think space anime aren't coming out as often as I would like, despite quite a few gems being produced over the last 50 or so years. The only series that are continuing are the Gundam franchise and the Legend of the Galactic Heroes remake and a couple other specials and sequels seasons off to the side.

Only 13 space anime were produced throughout the entirety of last year, compared to 58 shounen anime
_cjessop19_ said:

The sci-fi genre would be many of orders of magnitude better if the Japanese weren't so obsessed with giant robots. Bloody hell.
Mar 26, 2020 5:50 AM
Jul 2018
Reverse Harem

yes yes yes yes yes yes
Mar 26, 2020 5:53 AM

Nov 2016
You're literally comparing sub-genre or anime with a specific setting with a whole demographic man xD

I still agree and would also like to see more space anime, space operas to be more precise. But space adventure anime where it's just about traveling planets, such as Kanata no Astra would be nice too.

Another sub-genre I don't see often, not to say almost never is the good old martial arts battle shounen. I know we had Baki and Kengan Ashura lately, but I rather mean something like early Dragon Ball during the tournament arcs that is a bit lighter in tone, more quriky and with adventure on the side.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 26, 2020 5:55 AM

Jul 2017
i havent seen a truly good slice of life/comedy anime in quite some time, it's always just a really sudden 10/10 anime popping out of nowhere and then everything else is crap
consistency man, i need it
Mar 26, 2020 6:00 AM
Jul 2018
Reverse harem. Josei ecchi and hentai. But only if they would be of great production value and executed in the exact way I want them to. Otherwise - I'm out.
Mar 26, 2020 6:05 AM

Aug 2019
sukeban. they were more popular with irl shows but i just want badass well written school girls. what i would pray to give shoujo commander izumi an anime -speceficlaly made by bones- that would be SICK
Mar 26, 2020 6:12 AM

Jun 2015
Space operas and traditional magical girls. Madoka is good and all, but I hate how it ruined magical girl anime. Feels like everything is trying to be a shitty knockoff of it.

At least we still have Precure though.

πŸ’– 𝐼'𝓂 π’½π’Άπ“Žπ’Ήπ‘’π“ƒβ£ πŸ’–

⋆ Λšο½‘β‹†ΰ­¨ΰ­§Λš πŸ’ π’―π“Œπ’Ύπ“‰π“‰π‘’π“‡ πŸ’ π’΄π‘œπ“Šπ’―π“Šπ’·π‘’ πŸ’ Λšΰ­¨ΰ­§β‹†ο½‘Λš ⋆
πŸ’ π‘€π“ŽπΉπ’Ύπ‘”π“Šπ“‡π‘’π’žπ‘œπ“π“π‘’π’Έπ“‰π’Ύπ‘œπ“ƒ πŸ’
Mar 26, 2020 6:15 AM

Apr 2019
sonofbatmanrp13 said:
I think horror genre is on life-support and ready to die any moment now.God,when was the last horror anime?Neverland and Yami Shibai are the only horror I could remember from last year.I am hyped about Uzumaki and it is the only horror in sight this year.

^
We definitely need more horror genres.
Mar 26, 2020 6:15 AM

May 2018
I kind of suspect that if the same guys that are writing 90% of the isekai nowadays suddenly start writing about space the result would be equally mediocre.
I would like more space anime like the OP said but on the other hand not sure if will worth watching.

Another obstruction is that good looking space anime costs a small fortune to make.
Mar 26, 2020 6:16 AM

Nov 2018
@FMmatron space operas and adventure series play a big part in defining what the Sci-fi genre is*, I think it's fair for me to wonder if there'll be a new surge in popularity and demand for a new space series in the future (no pun intended).

*Gundam, LotGH, Cowboy Bebop, Gurren Lagann, Space Dandy, Space Brothers, Yamato, Planetes, etc.

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time πŸ™πŸ™
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Mar 26, 2020 6:16 AM
Jan 2012
Noir, Detective, and Detective Noir. I get the appeal of all these Idol Sherlock clones, but I want a show that makes me actually think of Sherlock or a real detective when it comes to these shows, not some one-note super quirky young adult who doesn't seem capable of doing any of the grittier detective work. Despite people's lack of comfort with furry stuff Beastars is still a highly praised success, maybe it'd be acceptable to have an anime adaptation of Blacksad now, even if going from western-styled comic to anime is a bit of an odd move.
Mar 26, 2020 6:40 AM

Nov 2016
_cjessop19_ said:
@FMmatron space operas and adventure series play a big part in defining what the Sci-fi genre is*, I think it's fair for me to wonder if there'll be a new surge in popularity and demand for a new space series in the future (no pun intended).

*Gundam, LotGH, Cowboy Bebop, Gurren Lagann, Space Dandy, Space Brothers, Yamato, Planetes, etc.

Fair enough, the comparison of numbers was just odd.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 26, 2020 7:00 AM

Oct 2017
Military or historical. I really enjoy war dramas and I love anything based around history.

@alshu

They would the idea behind isekai isn't terrible tons of famous fantasy classics are technically isekai Chronicles of Narnia, Alice in Wonderland, Wizard of Oz. The main issue is a lot of people in the light novel community use it as an excuse to be lazy when building their fantasy world. The mentality is more the issue than the idea of isekai itself.
Mar 26, 2020 7:11 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Harem and Ecchi. We should return to the glory days tbh.

Mar 26, 2020 7:27 AM

Aug 2018
Maybe more psychological anime with futuristic scenarios, if world would have different social programs or laws..
Like ReLIFE, where adult people get chance to participate in rehabilitation program, to live high school life again, and maybe get new look on the life.. I didn't like how some character were handled in this anime, though, but idea is pretty interesting..
Or Koi To Uso, where government forces the law of arranged marriages to solve low birth rates problems.. Assigning people in pairs by their genetics and different tests.. It resulting in some people's happiness, and someone's not so much..
Different interesting topics like this..
Mar 26, 2020 7:40 AM

Oct 2018
The lack of horror still amazes me despite all the unique aspects anime as a medium is able to provide for it. It probably won’t ever be the scariest thing going around but using traits unique to anime would make for a fairly popular show if done correctly. The Promised Neverland has already shown a bit of what it’s capable of even if the show overall was mediocre for me.

Mar 26, 2020 7:44 AM

May 2018
TolkienFan365 said:

They would the idea behind isekai isn't terrible tons of famous fantasy classics are technically isekai Chronicles of Narnia, Alice in Wonderland, Wizard of Oz. The main issue is a lot of people in the light novel community use it as an excuse to be lazy when building their fantasy world. The mentality is more the issue than the idea of isekai itself.

Dude read my "same guys that are writing 90% of the isekai nowadays" again and tell me what I am saying against your " the idea behind isekai isn't terrible"?
I think the genuine term is gateway fantasy. My favourite - The Chronicles Of Amber which play with the idea on way bigger scale.

And by the way not a fan of Narnia (the books not the movies which I didn't watched).
Mar 26, 2020 7:46 AM

Oct 2017
alshu said:
TolkienFan365 said:

Dude read my "same guys that are writing 90% of the isekai nowadays" again and tell me what I am saying against your " the idea behind isekai isn't terrible"?

And by the way not a fan of Narnia (the books not the movies which I didn't watched).

I don't get the point of this comment I never said anything that challenged your point? It was just agreeing pointing out to the thread or expanding on the statement that there are many major fantasy classics that are upheld heavily in other mediums that use the transported to another world plot line. That is all. As for the latter fair granted I loved the books as a kid.
Mar 26, 2020 7:46 AM
Haruna Sairenji

Jan 2017
Space Opera
Mahou Shoujo
Dark Fantasy
Body Horror
Mar 26, 2020 7:59 AM

May 2018
TolkienFan365 said:
It was just agreeing pointing out to the thread or expanding on the statement

Naaah. you are on automatic defence of isekai no matter if it's attacked or not.
Mar 26, 2020 8:01 AM

Oct 2017
alshu said:
TolkienFan365 said:
It was just agreeing pointing out to the thread or expanding on the statement

Naaah. you are on automatic defence of isekai no matter if it's attacked or not.

No.... I don't usually post it about it but I guess you know my intentions better lol
Mar 26, 2020 8:09 AM

Aug 2017
It'd be nice to have more military anime, but without robots or little girls.
Mar 26, 2020 8:32 AM

Jul 2013
We need isekai w/o the harem stuff or adapted by a Light Novel.

Mar 26, 2020 8:34 AM

Nov 2018
GalacticMagna said:
We need isekai w/o the harem stuff or adapted by a Light Novel.

Most isekai are adapted from light novel series

Mar 26, 2020 8:57 AM

Jan 2010
AustrianArtist said:
It'd be nice to have more military anime, but without robots or little girls.

LOL Exactly this.

Also horror yeah.

Not genre but,
I want medieval/steampunk tbh. Game of Thrones style.
Mar 26, 2020 9:04 AM

Aug 2018
I wouldn't mind seeing more traditional epic fantasy adventures. Sure, on the surface it looks like there's a lot of that sort of thing lately with game-world isekais but most of them don't put much thought into the world's politics and religious structures except to portray every king and pope as a cartoonish villain easily vanquished by MC's OP attack, and there's seldom any ultimate goal for the hero(s) to strive for other than building a harem.

Good examples of what I'm talking about:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/167/Scrapped_Princess
https://myanimelist.net/anime/5420/Kemono_no_Souja_Erin

More topics from this board

» I really wish that more animes had re-caps

Atmogenic - 4 minutes ago

2 by Rhaelynne »»
4 seconds ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - 39 minutes ago

10 by APolygons2 »»
1 minute ago

» what is battle shonen?

deg - 4 hours ago

21 by PlasticRobot »»
2 minutes ago

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - 6 hours ago

7 by traed »»
5 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 3 hours ago

19 by joseifan »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.