Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 9, 2020 12:26 AM

May 2012
It is very impressive to see forum threads like this span over decades of time, to even change the psychological way 'anime' viewers think while watching a certain something changes quite drastically if you ask me.

From the general flow it always had for me at least a very dark psychological background for the main character and the ones that help him/her on his journey. The aspect of which might not be directly see by younger or earlier viewers or rather just disregarded as a possible fact due to it less actuality in the real world as part of the time period they were writing it.

So I'm really loving how to be able to read these kind of comments from years ago, having wide differences in rating as well how it was seen completely differs from modern viewers of this series.

It's actually hilarious for me as this was one of the first anime on my 'plan to watch list' and I had it in physical form now for more than 8 years but never actually seen it. Which changes today obviously, but I really wonder what I would've thought about this anime 8 years ago compared to now.

Now I see a very impressive and well episodic paced anime with a two episode additional (closure) "ending" for the viewers only with the main 26 episodes including episode 15 the recap of the first half that made it able to have the story go into various directions and that's exactly what they did with this franchise, and that quite impresses me..

So with a healthy dose of good double decade almost old anime story telling in me, I'm really looking forwards to see what this series as a franchise will offer to me as a viewer only. How the 'sequels' and 'side stories' connect and form the next story.

One thing I might be able to say is that my score would be really different if I had seen this 8 years ago, and I think this is also visible with how this anime aged and got rated through the years which makes it a very interesting anime especially on psychology part if you ask me at least.

So all in all I have to say that I really enjoyed watching this first 'introduction' to the dot sign series, and I'll be looking forwards to see what it expanded to!
Sep 9, 2020 1:34 AM

Dec 2015
@RafaelDeJongh I prefer to warn you: there is no direct sequel to SIGN (aside from a side story light novel). Also, while SIGN stands perfectly well alone (as "the story of Tsubasa" with Morgana's threat/Aura's awakening/etc only a thin background to push it forward), it's only the prologue of this more important (and big) intrigue around Morgana and Aura (and Harold Yuick's work). The main chunk is the chaptered videogame for PS2, where the story also stands back because of the format (game) as you get hints/informations here and there to unravel what actually is happening all the while slashing through ennemies and mashing buttons.
Every other anime form you will consum will never be related to SIGN (aside from those two OAVs you saw right after ep.26).

Also, the series was very well received among the internet crowd back when it was released (through multiple fansub teams competing against each other, in several countries), be it its mystery aura (the games came late to us) or its depiction of various motivations for "MMO players" and the insanely hysterically popular Kajiura soundtrack (since her first "bang" with Noir's OST) in the style that made her famous during her Bee Train years. Add to that a character design derivative of Sadamoto's work.
It's only years later that it came to be snobbed as a boring slow series that did't tell anything at all, thanks to TV broadcasts outside Japan and more importantly people coming to it only because of its little fame.

PS: last but not least, I'm glad you had a good time. ^^
Sep 9, 2020 9:03 PM

May 2012
Rei_III said:
@RafaelDeJongh I prefer to warn you: there is no direct sequel to SIGN (aside from a side story light novel). Also, while SIGN stands perfectly well alone (as "the story of Tsubasa" with Morgana's threat/Aura's awakening/etc only a thin background to push it forward), it's only the prologue of this more important (and big) intrigue around Morgana and Aura (and Harold Yuick's work). The main chunk is the chaptered videogame for PS2, where the story also stands back because of the format (game) as you get hints/informations here and there to unravel what actually is happening all the while slashing through ennemies and mashing buttons.
Every other anime form you will consum will never be related to SIGN (aside from those two OAVs you saw right after ep.26).

Also, the series was very well received among the internet crowd back when it was released (through multiple fansub teams competing against each other, in several countries), be it its mystery aura (the games came late to us) or its depiction of various motivations for "MMO players" and the insanely hysterically popular Kajiura soundtrack (since her first "bang" with Noir's OST) in the style that made her famous during her Bee Train years. Add to that a character design derivative of Sadamoto's work.
It's only years later that it came to be snobbed as a boring slow series that did't tell anything at all, thanks to TV broadcasts outside Japan and more importantly people coming to it only because of its little fame.

PS: last but not least, I'm glad you had a good time. ^^

Well to be honest it's not bad at all, to what I've seen up to now a lot of the 'sequels' are being followed up quite nicely. And looking at the series cover art there still seem at least a couple connections. But well thanks for the heads up on this, but in general I quite am enjoying what I'm currently watching!
Mar 26, 2021 7:11 PM
Jul 2018
ahh its finally over, took me a couple of months to watch this because of how damn slow the pacing was and the unmatched boringness it had as well. definitely one of the worst in my opinion... sao looks like a masterpiece in comparison, 1/10.
Mar 28, 2021 9:53 PM

Nov 2016
*puts on super duber uber force field*

yeah im part of the not liking bandwagon. had i played the game, or watched this 10, 20 or even 30 years sooner i mightve liked it. to me, making most things standalone is important. that ending (eps 26 was that 'deleted ending' right?) just threw all that build up for nothing and forced us to watch/play the rest. even though i like things slow and steady, the overall pacing was too slow, and making it half the length mightve been a better choice. agreed with spaesu here
spaesu said:
... sao looks like a masterpiece in comparison, 1/10.

from a gamer/programmers (ex mmos mod, still active modder and forum mod) perspective, 'the world' was, mess, ill leave it at that...
anime/manga version of steam would be awesome - https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1625396
Mar 28, 2021 10:01 PM
Jul 2018
FONZACUS said:
from a gamer/programmers (ex mmos mod, still active modder and forum mod) perspective, 'the world' was, mess, ill leave it at that...
yeah... it felt really uninteresting and dull. some locations looked cool i guess but most of them were really sub-par.
Jun 21, 2021 9:50 PM

Aug 2014
This is easily one of the worst anime I’ve seen, and it brings me no joy to say that. I couldn’t have finished it without Kajiura’s glorious soundtrack. I had fond memories watch some of the early episodes on Toonami and playing part of the first game. As bad as .hack//sign sucked, I’m still tempted to checkout more of the series (anime and games) because I’m a sucker for the concept. SAO was mediocre, but this show was offensive. 3/10
Oct 4, 2021 3:58 AM

Aug 2018
That was a good series with a pleasant end.
Jan 25, 2022 8:19 AM

Feb 2021
id be lying if i said that wasn't a drag to get through but it had its peaks, good ending too
Dec 11, 2022 10:44 PM

Nov 2022
Kind of ambiguous conclusion. Somehow the core idea remains unresolved.

It is a good show overall though.
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » .hack//SIGN Episode 18 Discussion

jacobpaige - Mar 29, 2008

22 by Lil-Bird »»
Mar 14, 9:46 PM

Poll: » .hack//SIGN Episode 10 Discussion

CyanideKoolaid - Jan 25, 2009

14 by StateofOhayo »»
Nov 25, 2023 5:52 PM

Poll: » .hack//SIGN Episode 5 Discussion

CyanideKoolaid - Jan 23, 2009

26 by StateofOhayo »»
Nov 25, 2023 7:13 AM

Poll: » .hack//SIGN Episode 4 Discussion

CyanideKoolaid - Jan 23, 2009

38 by StateofOhayo »»
Nov 25, 2023 6:34 AM

» [Deleted]

JustOscar - Jun 30, 2023

2 by Karinara »»
Jul 12, 2023 11:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.