Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
In/Spectre
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 14, 2020 9:50 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Welp, we got more glimpse Karin Nanase's life and it's not looking like the Average Joe. Kotoko continues to decipher the mystery of Nanase' motives.

Kurou's fight against Steel Nanase was strange imo. Can't believe he just smacks her face onto the wall lol. From these episodes and the this one, Kotoko has become quite a supernatural detective girl.
Mar 14, 2020 10:06 AM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
Good episode, wonder if they can stick the landing.
Mar 14, 2020 10:56 AM
Jul 2018
kuro sacrifice himself many times even so he did not kill nanase
Mar 14, 2020 11:28 AM
Dec 2017
Wild Rikka appeared, her attack was super effective.
Mar 14, 2020 12:05 PM

Feb 2019
I fall in love with Saki san more and more every ep, she’s so hot.

Great ep, love how the show’s gone from action to a literal big brain battle to convince people what’s real and what’s not. Very interesting and fresh take on anime/manga. Speaking of which, picked up the manga and been loving it so far

Probably my fave show of the year so far, really just fun to watch the character interactions, banter, thought processes of the investigations, etc. I also think they’ve done a great job of visualising those thought processes. The last two eps haven’t had much action, but there’s never been a dull moment because of how the mental gymnastics of debating with the forum users is presented
Mar 14, 2020 12:14 PM
Jul 2018
kuro is the best he has both very good appearance and personality I wonder if rikka will meet kuro next ep then kuro x rikka relative bakemono shipping will begin kuro took off his t shirt to fight nanase at full power
removed-userMar 14, 2020 1:15 PM
Mar 14, 2020 1:25 PM

Jan 2014
Gotta be quick, smart, and know what to say when it comes to this really. One wrong move, and it'll all fall apart. Curious on how it'll end.
Mar 14, 2020 2:47 PM

Aug 2008
Allowing for this discussion to go on for more than one episode was a horrible idea. I'm so bored I don't care about the story any more. At this point I root for the specter since it has a nice body. And doesn't talk...
Ii tenki desu ne...
Mar 14, 2020 3:02 PM

Aug 2013
Damn, Kurou was just cut in half. :o

I wonder how they will end this show.

Mar 14, 2020 4:55 PM

Nov 2017
Another solid episode,the adaption so far has been absolutely amazing,even though tiny little bits have been left out,the majority has been carried across with excellence.
I can't believe how spot on they have got the characters,esp Kuro and Kotoko,and even the "side" characters like Saki.Not many anime have managed that.
I'm considering re-doing my rating of this.

A quick question though,does anyone else get the same "vibe" from this as Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru?
Mar 14, 2020 5:24 PM
Review Moderator
Book Princess

Nov 2018
Starhammer said:

A quick question though,does anyone else get the same "vibe" from this as Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru?

I can see a few similarities, such as the genre (obvious) and the hidden bad guy (perhaps more crucial to the "vibe,") though Sakurako-san had more of the traditional Sherlock Holmes pacing. I'm still enjoying the dialogue heavy, battle of words style of this anime. This anime style ends up feeling like an audio-book with visuals, which is kind of fun.

To continue the chain of "what does this anime remind you of," I personally think this anime is very similar to Boogiepop wa Warawanai.
Every day you can read a book or watch some anime is a good day!
Mar 14, 2020 5:47 PM
Nov 2015
Antanaru said:
Allowing for this discussion to go on for more than one episode was a horrible idea. I'm so bored I don't care about the story any more. At this point I root for the specter since it has a nice body. And doesn't talk...

Found my mind wandering countless times during the episode. The dialogue became so repetitive that it had me checking the clock like I was in class...
Mar 14, 2020 7:03 PM

Dec 2016
Boy this show confuses me more and more each episode, but it's what keeps me entertained and coming back.

So many different theories to choose from.

More questions than answers.
Mar 14, 2020 7:07 PM
Nov 2018
I really liked the concept in the first episode. A story centered around arguing in internet forums isn't what I wanted, but I accept it. I can tell they have put a lot of thought into this.

However, when you choose a drastic turn you need to show that from the beginning. You can't just pull out the space centaur with a bridal veil toward the end, after everyone has settled in with a gritty earth-bound story. In this anime it was about helping the cuddly spirits against monsters, not swaying minds in a forum.

They could have introduced a forum right from the beginning. "This is where people discuss the supernatural. And the discussions affect the spirits."

They could have shown her sitting with a computer on the first page of the manga (the picture we then get to see in places like the MAL page for the anime), and shown through symbolism that the writings affect the case.

This sudden twist far into the story is not the way to do it.
Mar 14, 2020 7:09 PM
Sep 2016
I'm all for some some big brain moments, but this section could've been tied up in 2-3 episodes. Instead, I've effectively been watching Reddit simulator for 5 episodes - I praised this series for its characters and spin on things but this is excessive.

I'm glad to see people are still enjoying it, wish I could say I was too.
Mar 14, 2020 7:17 PM
Feb 2020
This story of the Woman of Steel is very long, 8 episodes already brother and there will be more. Very tiring.
Mar 14, 2020 8:03 PM

Jan 2016
Great episode as always. It seems like next week Kotoko will give her last solution.

Remember guys, the solution doesn't have to be 100% logical. You can poke holes into them and it'll still be fine. The goal isn't to make everyone believe that she isn't real instantly with just one solution, it's to bring doubt into the community and divide it. Remember that the only reason Steel Beam Nanase exists is because groups of people unified a single idea that she's real. So as long as the majority of people end up not believing in her, then that's good.

In addition, all the solutions not only need to be persuasive, they need to be entertaining. Fake news these days are considered the "better news" just because it's more entertaining than the truth. And that's what she's trying to do here, create a fictional entertaining truth, and that's a feat in itself.

The next solution though needs to be able to persuade the majority of the people to believe that the ghost isn't real so that Nanase will be removed from existence. What do you guys think will be her solution? (I already read the manga so it'll be cool to see how the people here think)
Mar 14, 2020 8:20 PM

Nov 2017
gaussian_ said:
Starhammer said:

To continue the chain of "what does this anime remind you of," I personally think this anime is very similar to Boogiepop wa Warawanai.

Sorry to say I haven't watched Boogiepop,might get around to it,but got loads to watch :)
Mar 14, 2020 9:34 PM
Aug 2018
Solid episode for me, the first half (Second solution) was pretty well done, it was easy to follow and they had they necessary information. The second half (Third solution) was pretty rushed in my opinion. I kinda feel like it was moving a bit too fast and it was hard to take in information, this is coming from someone who read the manga so that means I already know what happened but man this half kinda fell for me. Aside from that I have no complaints.

The next episode will cover the fourth and final solution where Kotoko that a bit of all the other 3 and merge it into the ultimate fiction. Please note that this is all fiction and there will be holes in each solutions. Because of that, that’s why there is 3 solution because the people can decide which one they should believe so they don’t have to see eye to eye with everyone on the same solution.
Mar 14, 2020 10:04 PM

Nov 2019
Those anons are a bunch of SIMPs lol

Kotoko's anecdotes definitely better than last week and I understand Rikka had an overwhelming lead from the start but it's hurting the show, this should not have taken this many episodes for a weak arc, focusing on the narrative perspective is not an excuse, take it from Death Note that's how u do it, this show is how not to do it
Mar 14, 2020 11:09 PM

Oct 2017
Wow Kurou's just dying so brutally, I feel bad for him tbh. Kotoko and Rikka san's lying battle is still going lol. Kotoko's third solution was kinda week imo. If she said that someone had a grudge against Nanase's older sister and he tried to use this incident as a way of psychologically attacking her like Rikka san mentioned, that would have been a much better solution.
Mar 14, 2020 11:19 PM
Apr 2016
I think the only real issue with this anime is the pace. So few episodes yet a multi episode fight. This isn't a long running shounen battle series.
Mar 15, 2020 12:02 AM

Dec 2014
damn these theories are frustrating.... can't they like make more and more theories to make the fan base divided... thus shifted the gears and what not
Mar 15, 2020 2:22 AM

Feb 2015
I'm starting to get fatigue with this arc, I like the show but its very talky and not nearly as clever as monogatari in the way it keeps the viewer interested. Shaft did that with vistual flair but this show doesn't have that. I'm hoping we tie this arc up next week as it already feels too long.
Mar 15, 2020 4:02 AM

Mar 2015
Huh what the fuck am I watching.
Mar 15, 2020 5:19 AM

Apr 2015
Wow Kuro is just suffering all kinds of deaths! Impaled by a tree, severed in half!

The solutions are all really interesting, but I had to agree that the 3rd solution was definitely a bust!
Mar 15, 2020 5:58 AM

Jul 2014
OK, I get the rationale for switching from a rational theory to one that's entirely irrational and appeals more to the forum, but why then jump straight back to the rational again when the irrational was actually working? Kotoko's just taken one step forwards and two backwards here, or maybe more given how pathetically weak the third theory was. It's interesting to get Rikka actively involved now, but less so when the theory that forced her hand was so full of holes.

Also, is Kotoko posting all these theories on the same forum account, or is she using different ones and mixing up her presentation of the theories? That may not seem hugely important, but doesn't this whole thing fall apart if the forum figures out that one person is throwing around all these random theories in the hope that something sticks? In fact, given that Rikka actively knows this is the case, could she not use that to present all of Kotoko's theories as utterly invalid?

This arc did not need to be this long, as it is really getting tedious now.
Mar 15, 2020 6:33 AM
Aug 2018
Otaku_Joe said:
I think the only real issue with this anime is the pace. So few episodes yet a multi episode fight. This isn't a long running shounen battle series.

Exactly, it’s more of a supernatural mystery
Mar 15, 2020 6:33 AM

Jun 2014
Iwanaga's ability to come up with these things on the spot is pretty impressive. I wonder what she has in mind for the 4th solution that should get rid of SLN.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Mar 15, 2020 6:40 AM
Aug 2018
ibraheem234 said:
damn these theories are frustrating.... can't they like make more and more theories to make the fan base divided... thus shifted the gears and what not

The reason that there is so many theories is so that everyone has a chance to believe in a solution. Since this is fiction, there would obviously be many holes but since the supernatural is also applied it can make that fiction believable. There are 3 solutions because let’s say group 1 believes in a reality base solution but group 2 still enjoys the idea of supernatural. Kotoko makes 2 separate solutions so that both group would have something to believe in.
Mar 15, 2020 8:17 AM

Jun 2019
I rly like that Kuro have no regrets, he just trying to kill her again and again
Mar 15, 2020 8:27 AM

Dec 2013
Really like the different theories just to get some followers with each, the first one is for those who like conspiracies, the second one for supernatural believers that have some kind of empathy and the 3rd for basic human disgust with each other blaming a stalker lol.
Mar 15, 2020 8:49 AM
Apr 2018
Theories #1 and #2 are complete BS, no way there could possibly be enough believers in #1, #2 and #3 combined to wipe out Nanase unless Rikka decides to help Kuro for some fabulous reason
Mar 15, 2020 8:58 AM

Feb 2011
Damn this is really dragging out now isn't it ?
Mar 15, 2020 9:49 AM

Mar 2016
Her explanations are more absurd than the the reality of a woman who constantly kills herself just to get an edge in shitposting online. I mean, do you really need to stab yourself in the neck when your opponent is talking about body doubles? lol. I hope all of the inconsistencies are purposeful on her part, otherwise all she's really doing is making Nanase's family look like a bunch of psychos.
syncrogazerMar 15, 2020 9:53 AM
Mar 15, 2020 10:43 AM

Apr 2018
Capxaba said:
This story of the Woman of Steel is very long, 8 episodes already brother and there will be more. Very tiring.

They really are stretching this "arc" beyond what's needed. The last 3 episodes could've been condensed into a single one.

I had high hopes for this series and I still like the characters, but right now I'm only wishing for it to end.
Mar 15, 2020 11:35 AM
Jul 2019
Oh shit we're still with that Steel Lady Nanase shit
Mar 15, 2020 12:12 PM
Nov 2016
Gotta agree with Antanaru and flisk (among others). They should've wrapped this up in a single episode (9). Wasting 2-3 episodes for this is super lame.
I almost didn't want to watch this episode as last week already felt like filler and lo and behold, ep 10 felt like a waste of time too.
To be fair, there were a couple interesting pieces in the 3 theories, but we didn't need 2 episodes for that. And lets be honest, this is no Monogatari series. The dialogue (theories) isn't witty, interesting or clever enough to entertain me and look past the fact that the story didn't advance since episode 8.

It's a shame, until Steel Lady this was a 8/10, but this case drags on for far too long. Rikka being the mastermind felt like an ass pull too. Now it'd rate a 6/10.
BlueSnow93Mar 15, 2020 12:24 PM
Mar 15, 2020 1:03 PM

Jul 2014
Another episode excellent for curing insomnia. Peace out.
Mar 15, 2020 2:38 PM

Feb 2014
You can't help but feel some sympathy for Kuro. While Kotoko is having her own tough battle to outwit Rikka, Kuro is still going through the painful cycle of beating the crap out of Steel Lady Nanase, then gets himself killed her, then comes back to life, and finally repeat that process again.

His attacks on her are more brutal, but so are his "deaths", too. Getting impaled by a tree branch was gruesome, but that was easily beaten by Kuro getting sliced in half. You have to admire his determination in this exhausting fight.

As for Kotoko, her second and third solution have had some good degrees of success that it was able to finally make Rikka go on the offensive. Kotoko's fourth and final solution will be the final showdown between her and Rikka, so that's something to look forward to next time. =)
Mar 15, 2020 7:24 PM

Jan 2011
This is getting beyond frustrating this "case" is being drawn out as long a danganronpa's 3 final trial ,if Kotoko's plan was to feed all these solutions so that people would just stop caring because any of it sounds possible it's working on me

this was a close 8 before this arc taking up 90% of the show how much more do i need to suffer seeing her and Kuro die
Mar 15, 2020 8:07 PM
Aug 2018
darkling692 said:
Capxaba said:

They really are stretching this "arc" beyond what's needed. The last 3 episodes could've been condensed into a single one.

I had high hopes for this series and I still like the characters, but right now I'm only wishing for it to end.

Oh trust me, one episode cannot hold all of those three. Those chapter itself is long enough to have a separate episode each. I feel like they rushed this one a bit and the second half went by a bit too fast.
Well you’ll see what I mean if you read the manga because oh boy Every chapter is long as heck. You can basically compare it to having 3 essays in one chapter
Mar 16, 2020 12:31 AM

Jul 2016
Kotoko sure likes to include cross-dressed men in her hypothesis...

Anyways, another solid episode. Not as immersive as the previous one but still highly intriguing.
For the relief of some people here, we got two solutions this time: one for paranormal lovers with an interesting approach made by Kotoko and another one being a bit more realistic but also kinda uninspiring if you ask me. Personally, this third solution may be the weakest one out of these three so far.

Regarding dialogues, they are still quite clear and it might just be me but I don't find them boring in the slightest. Not to mention that the use of visual elements to give more emphasis to each hypothesis has been a really nice detail as well.
Mar 16, 2020 4:17 AM

Jan 2016
Came back to see what other people think, and wow.

darkling692 said:
Capxaba said:

Definitely not. They'll have to cut so much content at that point, important details would be removed, and the solutions wouldn't even make sense anymore. Either that, or they'll have to talk extremely fast.

ZKisara said:
Oh trust me, one episode cannot hold all of those three. Those chapter itself is long enough to have a separate episode each. I feel like they rushed this one a bit and the second half went by a bit too fast.
Well you’ll see what I mean if you read the manga because oh boy Every chapter is long as heck. You can basically compare it to having 3 essays in one chapter

Exactly. In this episode, they actually combined Chapters 10 and 11, and they have a total of 150 pages. They both had enough content to become their own episode, but they removed a lot of dialogue from the audience so that they would be able to give Kotoko more time to present her solutions. So to put all the solutions in one whole episode, they'd need to remove audience interaction completely, and she'd need to present her solution in one go, without giving the audience time to think. That's a huge no-no, there's no point in stopping Steel Beam Nanase if she doesn't give the people time to think about her solutions.

Having reading the manga, I think they'll mostly likely end the series at Chapter 13, and in addition with Chapter 15 for the snake arc, they'll only have used 14 chapters just for this series. That's how long each chapter is, and even then, they still had to remove content, though not as important, but still probably wouldn't have hurt to be in the anime.
Mar 16, 2020 4:55 AM

Apr 2018
Is it me or it's getting really boring since a few episodes ?
Mar 16, 2020 8:07 AM
Mar 2015
Rikka is now fighting directly against Kotoko
Mar 16, 2020 8:24 AM

Mar 2013
Wow, this anime is a perfect medicine for those who have a sleep disorder.

I really liked how the show started, it had a good premise, a good main character (Kotoko), and a good setting.

BUT, it's been 3 episodes that Kotoko is sitting on a cab fighting against weirdos on 4chan, twitter, or whatever social media that seems to have a strong power in the rumor.

The way Kotoko is fighting against the boobs monster makes sense but for me is an incomplete way to do it. I mean, internet is a great place to spread rumors and gossip... but I don't know if Kotoko is aware of this: gossips ocour outside the web too, ok?

Fighting against this rumor wouldn't take only 3 hours in a cab tweeting... it would take DAYS, WEEKS, for the rumor to get weaker, or to people lost interest/forget about it.
Mar 16, 2020 11:03 AM

Mar 2017
As soon as Kotoko said about someone taking on the persona of Steel Lady Nanase to ease Hatsumi's heart I was like "Kotoko-chan, that is a major flaw in your solution!"

If she had said that someone close to Nanase or an extreme fan had taken on the persona to make Hatsumi feel guilty then that would've made more sense. I definitely think using the big sister in the solution is the way to go though; that family drama is the real shit haha
Mar 16, 2020 3:14 PM

Jul 2017
Not only is solution 3 flawed because of the nonsensical motive of the supposed culprit, but also a simple DNA test would have shown whether the body was that of Nanase or not.
Her sister could provide a sample and if they both had the same markers showing their from the same parents mystery solved.
Mar 16, 2020 3:33 PM

Jul 2017
To side with the people who feel like this narrative is getting too long, I hear you well and clear. However, to rebut this issue, we're still getting into the Steel Lady Nanase arc, and the same-old cliche and stretched out narrative is getting better.

To be frank, Solution 2 is more of pushing the buck towards the online audience that's still full of doubt while Kotoko's hammering fake fiction to try her luck for them to buy the idea as Kuro continues his aimless fight while waiting for the probable path of solution. The audience is one, but combatting Rikka-san still is a hurdle.

With Solution 3, trying to get on the empathy of the deceased and giving the audience the chance to deduce the line of tragedy of real-life family issues is kinda the worst option so far. To add insult to injury, by adding a double the chances of the crime could vary, the same as creating Steel Lady Nanase out of mere fiction (and that's what Rikka-san is here for), A TOTAL BACKFIRE of flaws.

The last and probable solution, hope that will be the end to finish this long ordeal.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2020

155 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 10, 12:04 PM

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 29, 2020

70 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 10, 11:46 AM

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 22, 2020

66 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 10, 11:28 AM

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 15, 2020

88 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 10, 9:26 AM

Poll: » Kyokou Suiri Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 8, 2020

110 by Hayley2877 »»
Apr 6, 5:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.