Forum Settings
Forums

Anime that started out with potential only to be a disappointment.

New
Feb 16, 2020 9:18 AM

Jan 2015
As subjective as this topic can be, I still have thoughts.

I watched Aldnoah.Zero when it came out 5 years ago and I was so excited by the first episode.

Soundtrack? On point.
Story? So far so good.
Visuals and Character Designs? Yes.
Mech? Present

So whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy did Aldoah.Zero dissolve into such garbage? The characters had piss poor development and the story made no damn sense.

I could rant some more but it's clear that I really wanted to like this anime and it let me down something fierce. The soundtrack was only thing working hard to pay its rent, still listen to it too.

Honorable mention - Kuromukuro

What's your Aldnoah.Zero?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 16, 2020 9:20 AM
Jul 2018
HunterxHunter or more known as HiatusxHiatus.
Feb 16, 2020 9:25 AM

Sep 2018
Attack on Titan major plot twist was very disappointing though I did like the anime. MM! started great, but turned rather cliche in the later half of the anime. Eureka 7 started great, but I did not like the pacing after episode 30.
Feb 16, 2020 9:26 AM

Jul 2019
You remember when SAO looked like a decent show with a uniqe theme in the first one or two episodes?
Feb 16, 2020 9:27 AM

Jun 2016
My quest for the android waifu lead me to beatless a show that looked great, had good character designs, good music and great early episodes. In later episodes the plot took a dive and some characters made some questionable decisions that made me despise them. Also, the thing the show is known for, it had 4 recap episodes in a 20 episode series, obviously plagued by production issues. The final four episodes released separately were enjoyable but the last 2 minutes of the final ruined the emotional impact.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/36516/Beatless
https://myanimelist.net/anime/38020/Beatless_Final_Stage
Also fuck aldnoah zero. I only watched it for the "military" tag on mal but the enemy army is the worst depiction of a military force in anime history, only rivaled by so ra no wo to which is also an anime that could be good but failed to deliver
https://myanimelist.net/anime/6802/So_Ra_No_Wo_To
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Feb 16, 2020 9:30 AM

Jul 2017
Darling in the Franxx wins by a long shot. It wasn't even the start, the whole show was pretty good until like ep 14 and then it just went downhill so fast

JoJo pt 4 as well. Thought it was gonna be more akin to Pt.3 2nd season, but it ended up having pretty much the same flaws as Pt.3 1st season
Feb 16, 2020 9:34 AM

Apr 2015
Best show for this that I have seen is Charlotte. Had such a good first couple of episodes only to go to shit after the halfway point.

Another is Erased. First ten episodes are fantastic. Last 2 are meh. Not horrible, but not great either.

Records of a Bastard Teacher or whatever it was called had a rather good first arc for what it was, then turned into generic garbage

I found the "ending" to the Monogatori series to be underwhelming (end of Owari Season 2). It was a cliche that I was hoping they wouldn't do, then they did.

If this were Manga, I would have a ton more. So many Manga have horrible endings
Feb 16, 2020 9:36 AM

Jul 2017
Zero no Tsukaima seemed like it was going to be a decent harem anime with some actual romance, but the romance unfortunately came with the most obnoxious and godawful tsundere who eats up half of the fucking running time.

Feb 16, 2020 9:51 AM

Jun 2019
Arcana Famiglia

I have never seen a great concept run into the ground that fast and that hard

Feb 16, 2020 11:30 AM

Aug 2015

• Sword Art Online
  • Overcautious Hero (If it stayed as a comedy)
  • Rising of the Shield Hero (turned basic halfway through)
  • Big Order
  • Charlotte (Just last episode)
  • Code:Breaker
  • Gate
  • Phantom World
  • Strike the Blood
  • Taboo Tattoo
  • Tokyo Ghoul Season 2 and forward
Metal, games, and good friends make life worth living
Discord: kingkrazy#0336
Feb 16, 2020 11:47 AM

Jul 2011
Dororo started off decent but was rushed towards the end.

Feb 16, 2020 11:52 AM
Jul 2018
Elfen Lied for me, loved the first 5 minutes, went downhill from there imo.

Gangsta maybe too, seemed to go nowhere in the end.

Babylon, most recent disappointment; first half was great tho.

There might have been more but these are all I can think of rn.
Feb 16, 2020 12:09 PM

Jan 2015
^ Gangsta is actually on my list for that too but that one was more of a disaster than a disappointment sigh
Feb 16, 2020 12:14 PM
Jul 2019
Babylon, for sure. The suicide law wankery was like getting hit on by a philosophy major at a college party.

Hoshiai no Sora also was a major waste of potential being cut off at the midpoint like that.
Feb 16, 2020 12:31 PM

Jan 2010
Honestly I felt that way about My Hero Academia. It became so predictable in the second season and just flat out lost me.
Feb 16, 2020 12:38 PM

Jan 2018
Death Note after (redacted, but you guys know who) dies. Show went massively downhill after that, minus the ending.
What a beautiful Duwang
Feb 16, 2020 1:28 PM

Mar 2018
The Price of Smiles had an awesome first episode but everything went downhill from there and I was so sad.
Feb 16, 2020 1:41 PM
Jul 2018
I liked soul eater but it's ending was... Pretty bad.
Feb 17, 2020 2:56 PM

Oct 2019
Deadmans Wonderland. First few episodes were fantastic but the last few? god-awful.
Feb 17, 2020 3:17 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Darling in the FranXX, I was totally enjoying it and then after episode 17 it was absolute garbage, ended up giving it 4/10
Feb 17, 2020 4:30 PM
Jul 2018
Fairy Tail, this show went from mediocre battle shounen to garbage fanservices after timeskip.
Feb 17, 2020 4:40 PM

Apr 2008
Off the top of my head, Kill La Kill. I really enjoyed the first half of it and then just lost interest as the anime continued in the second half. Also, the entire new season of Tokyo Ghoul. As of now I most likely will not be watching the second season of RE.
SevenFeb 17, 2020 4:51 PM
Feb 17, 2020 5:03 PM
Mar 2019
Juuni Taisen. I watched the first episode and by the end of it I knew where the show went. It fell into a repetitive pattern that I stopped watching it all together.
Feb 17, 2020 5:07 PM

Jan 2015
I gave Juuni Taisan one episode and knew it wasnt for me, I did like the premise though...
Feb 17, 2020 5:24 PM
Jan 2012
I really agree with Aldnoah.Zero, that show's first mech fight was pretty good and the main character had some pretty clever solutions to fighting an enemy so much stronger than him, but then every solution and plan he had afterwards was just insulting. Also really hated the characters, main character was the blandest character I have EVER seen.

Theo1899 said:
Also fuck aldnoah zero. I only watched it for the "military" tag on mal but the enemy army is the worst depiction of a military force in anime history

Jesus christ, the adults were so inept they couldn't match a high schooler in strategy. I didn't feel like Inaho was smart, I felt like everyone else was just dumb.

My personal pick though is Erased, because I was so invested. It had a phenomenal first episode that hooked me in despite the lack of originality, a pretty good premise and some heartfelt moments that actually made me tear up. Then a certain event happens and every episode after is just so damn dumb. It made me feel stupid for actually liking the series initially, I don't like the idea of changing a show's score by more than 2 points due to a bad ending, but I decided to change my personal rule and change it from a 9 to a 5.

Seven said:
Off the top of my head, Kill La Kill. I really enjoyed the first half of it and then just lost interest as the anime continued in the second half.

I love Kill la Kill but man did the mid parts of the show slog WAY too heavily. I'm happy it got good again starting from like episode 18 or 19, I can't remember, but the whole invasion arc just killed the show's momentum. I don't blame anyone for losing interest in the show at that point
OnionKnightRisesFeb 17, 2020 5:28 PM
Feb 17, 2020 8:45 PM

Jan 2015
I think I intentionally forgot about Boku Dake ga Inai Machi.

As oppose to Aldnoah which went down in flames, that one kinda just petered out.
Feb 17, 2020 9:09 PM
kinda tired

Apr 2017
Oh there's quite a few. Tears to Tiara deserves a mention.
Feb 18, 2020 3:29 AM

Sep 2019
Seiren: Can we get another Amagami?! That's a no. It had potential from the get-go... but it didn't really hit those same notes.

Fate/Apocrypha: This is more personal. It's just that Astolfo is the best boy and is immediately better than Jean. Also, my only gay ship I've ever done. That ship potential was that good.

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Ren: Can we get relationship development and more romance?! No, we get a third-wheel on a bicycle. I just thought it could of been better than that extra wheel.
"You know you've reached peak quality when a doujin is better than the actual source series." (Eg. To LOVE-Ru)

Just to list a couple of biases.
Likes: A good story, characters, writing, romance, a good plot twist or something that breaks expectations (In a good way), 'backstory' and justice.
Dislikes: Bad romance, too much fanservice, the harem genre, yuri, yaoi, and bad writing.

Feb 18, 2020 3:38 AM
Aug 2017
These shows became a disappointment for me...........Aldnoah Zero; Gundam 00; Darling in the Franxx; Fairy Tail;
Feb 18, 2020 3:41 AM

May 2017
Tokyo ghoul has been a total disappointment for me, i really liked episode 1
A person's life is not comprised of four repeating season, but a year-long winter wilderness, whether or not you stop to wipe your blood or tears, they will inevitably freeze over.
Feb 18, 2020 3:48 AM

Mar 2019
Peepin said:
The Price of Smiles had an awesome first episode but everything went downhill from there and I was so sad.

I'm surprised someone else brought this up and yes. So much potential...and then it just slowly got worse. I watched it all, but it didn't live up
Feb 18, 2020 3:56 AM

Feb 2017
One thing that I'm thinking of, especially from last year, is probably Araburu.
Kind of like its start, though the half of the show to its ending is a bit astray to what I'm expecting, and not in a good way. Nevertheless still don't hate it
Feb 19, 2020 8:06 AM

Aug 2017
Probably the vast majority of anime but Aldnoah.Zero really piss me off later.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Feb 19, 2020 8:30 AM

Oct 2012
I recently watched now and then here and there and was surprised how cliche and dumb post apocalyptic cyber punk stuff could be. Never let me down before.

I loved shouwa rakugo only for it to leave a bad taste in my mouth with the worst twist ever in the last episode.

And erased obviously
Feb 19, 2020 8:34 AM

Jun 2019
Jus1294 said:
Death Note after (redacted, but you guys know who) dies. Show went massively downhill after that, minus the ending.

I agree with your first point, but disagree with the second. I thought the ending was terribly executed. I'm okay with what.. happened at the end, but instead of just having him there panicking, they should have made it a much bigger deal.

I will say, ever since I watched it, I have said that in my opinion, the first death and second death should have both happened at the end of the show, with both of them taking each other out.

And yes, I'm aware not naming them at this point is useless, but you know. lol

Feb 19, 2020 8:51 AM

Dec 2017
Sword Art Online.

Kirito is like a plastic doll with nothing inside him.
Feb 19, 2020 9:08 AM

Jan 2010
Babylon for me the first 8 ep was great until the brutal death,and then and then
his dick fell off.
But seriously the fact that was bad ending where the antagonist wins is not bad in itself,but they lost me with this shit about understanding about bad and evil and if you undestand what is evil and what is good you have to kill yourself or some bullshit like that.
Feb 19, 2020 9:19 AM

Aug 2018
An obligatory mention of SAO.The first few episodes were 10/10 for me.But they had to skip entirety of Aincrad and make Kirito anime Jesus.

Babylon.
The first two arcs were great.I think episode 7 gave me goosebumps.But everything changed after the hiatus.I have nothing against philosophy,they can rant for about thousand episodes but the show ended at an incomplete note and a lot of plot points were left hanging.
Feb 19, 2020 9:25 AM
Jun 2017
Babylon--- ohh how i love the theme of the series... for me i am enjoying watching that one but that ending is so bad i want to forget that i have just watched that final episode
Feb 19, 2020 9:25 AM

Apr 2018
JoJo Bizzare Adventure,
All the previous seasons were great and had lots of humour but the newest season is not funny at all it focuses on only limited concepts, the characters are not relatable to characters of previous seasons and ....
Its just not funny how it was used to be I am having trouble continuing it.

Feb 19, 2020 10:36 AM

Apr 2010
Akanesasu Shoujo - Don't' know why, letter it became meh.
Bakumatsu: Crisis - After the first season I had my expectations. It was... fine, I guess.
Durarara - the first season was awesome, the second with all its parts... not as much.
Fukumenkei Noise - I thought it would be interesting... But the main character was the most annoying.
Gankutsuou - I guess I can some the main problem as main episode 18.
Hakuouki - So regret watching this one... totally didn't continue for a second season. I should have known when I heard a name from the Shinsengumi (which I only heard of from Rurouni Kenshin)
Kuroshitsuji II - Let's not talk about this...
Kyoto Teramachi Sanjou no Holmes - It was really fine, but something was missing towards the end.
Love Stage!! - Back at the day, I stopped the manga as it was Yaoi (and it looked like there's gonna be a rape), the anime... well... they ended up being two idiots.
Naruto: It has a nice start... but oh, the fillers.

Feb 19, 2020 10:50 AM
Jul 2019
Terror in resonance

First 8 episode were amazing but the thing that happens after 8E is disappointing and unnecessary

SAO
I didn't need tell more about this anime
Everyone knows what happans

Dororo
Promising story stated really good
But it just becomes weekly demon show
Feb 19, 2020 10:51 AM
Jul 2019
Terror in resonance

First 8 episode were amazing but the thing that happens after 8E is disappointing and unnecessary

SAO
I didn't need tell more about this anime
Everyone knows what happans

Dororo
Promising story stated really good
But it just becomes weekly demon show
Feb 19, 2020 10:53 AM
Jul 2018
Basilisk: Ouka Ninpouchou
I was so excited to watch Basilisk's (which is one of my favorite) sequel and they made... this. You know when you watch something and think that there were people, professionals (!), who approved of this - and you go all: wtf are you getting paid for? I'm still a bit mad...
Feb 19, 2020 10:59 AM

Oct 2014
SAO and Babylon. The former had such an interesting concept that the first episode just got me hooked back then, only to be disappointed later. Same with the latter, it just became a mess.
Feb 19, 2020 11:05 AM

Dec 2017
Akame Ga Kill
Magic Knight Rayearth
Angolmois
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Satsuriku no Tenshi
Zankyou no Terror
Claymore

Expecting better but still good:
Hunter x Hunter
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Black Lagoon
Soul Eater
Juuni Kokuki
Psycho-Pass
Babylon
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Feb 19, 2020 12:46 PM

Jan 2019
SAO - First 3 eps great but then the narrative slowed down and focused on dumb side stories

High Score Girl - First 3 eps great because akira is great but then she leaves for like 4 eps and blonde chick is significantly worse.

Isekai Slime - had a good first half, but 2nd half sucked except for the pink hair demon king loli

Re:Creators - First half was interesting, but there were too many pointless fights. Ending as doo doo though.

O Maiden in Your Savage Season - loved how the sex talk stuff in the first 3 eps but it turned into melodramatic nonsense
Hunter x Hunter is a 1/10
Feb 19, 2020 12:55 PM

Feb 2019
A newer anime that was a disappointment is Breakers, the paralympic sports anime. I was so excited because no one has ever done a paralympic sports anime, but to be honest, it's not great. I wouldn't mind dropping it even.

N͓̽o͓̽ ͓̽J͓̽u͓̽s͓̽t͓̽i͓̽c͓̽e͓̽.͓̽ ͓̽N͓̽o͓̽ ͓̽P͓̽e͓̽a͓̽c͓̽e͓̽.͓̽

Feb 19, 2020 1:30 PM
Dec 2019
Neon Genesis Evangelion. Amazing start, but almost every episode is just "monster of the week" battles against angels and the ending is so bad, they now try to rewrite it a second time.
Feb 19, 2020 2:07 PM

Oct 2016
A lot actually:

Devilman
Angel Cop
Angolmois
Aoi Hana
Aura
Babylon (as expected from the same author of Seikaisuru Kado)
Banana Fish
Black Lagoon (became worse later on)
Bleach
C: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control
Cannon Busters
Chikyuu Shoujo Arjuna
Choujin Locke (later entries ruined it)
Claymore
Code Geass
Le Portrait de Petit Cosette
Cybersix
D. Gray-man
Detonator Orgun
Dimension W (great premise)
Dragon Ball
Drifters
Escaflowne
Eva rebuilds
Five Star Stories (mind blowing premise)
Fune wo Amu
Gall Force (later entries ruined it)
Gangsta
Golden Kamuy
Gunnm (seems the manga won't ever have a proper adaptation)
Dangaioh
Hal (potential to be a second Eve no Jikan, wasted)
Hellsing (at least the remake sort of fixed it)
Hokuto no Ken and Souten no Ken (ruined by later entries or bad adaptations)
Hoshi no Koe (too short and rushed)
Hoshizora Kiseki (unorthodox premise, wasted)
Houseki no Kuni
Infini-T Force
Inuyasha
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
Juuni Taisen (promising beginning, turns to complete dogshit)
Kakegurui
Kannazuki no Miko
Kaze wo Mita Shounen
Kenzen Robo Daimidaler
Key the Metal Idol
Koi wa Ameagari no You ni
Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau
Kyousou Giga
Record of Lodoss War
Loups=Garous
Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica
Maou Dante
Mazinkaiser (SKL included)
Megazone 23
Metropolis
Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt 2nd season (it completely ruined the first)
Mutafukaz
Nana Toshi Monogatari: Hokkyokukai Sensen (just a teaser)
Nanatsu no Taizai
Naruto
Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin
Nerawareta Gakuen
Net-juu no Susume
Oira Uchuu no Tankoufu (just a teaser)
One Piece
Ore Monogatari!!
Oushitsu Kyoushi Heine (just stick with Ouran)
Overlord
Pale Cocoon (great atmosphere, no plot)
Palme no Ki
Paprika
Petshop of Horrors
Planet With
Plastic Memories
Pokemon: the Origin
Promare
Psycho-Pass
Read or Die (cool action, no plot)
Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry
Re: Creators
Every Science Adventure anime
Rokka no Yuusha
Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records
Rurouni Kenshin (except the prequels)
Ryo (too short and rushed)
Ryuu no Haisha
Saint Seiya (almost the whole franchise)
Sakasama no Patema (this is what happens when you copy Upside Down)
Sayonara no Asa ni Yakusoku no Hana wo Kazarou (why would you give this premise to Mari Okada)
Seikaisuru Kado
Yukikaze
Shingeki no Bahamut (later entries ruined it)
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu (second season ruined it)
Soliton no Akuma
Sora yori mo Tooi Basho (these last two were so close to be good)
Soul Eater (second half ruined it, Not killed it completely)
Spriggan
Subete ga F ni Naru
Tenshi no Tamago (superb atmosphere, no plot)
The Cockpit (first short is good, the others are not)
The Epic Of ZektBach
The Sky Crawlers
Violet Evergarden
Wonderful Days (dry Advent Children)
Patlabor 3 is a disgrace to the first two
Wicked City
CaptainKenshiroApr 4, 2020 1:15 AM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 9 hours ago

21 by Serafos »»
13 seconds ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Yesterday

27 by Prupel1 »»
3 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 6 hours ago

9 by Catalano »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Have y'all seen Rainbow?

MillerEvans23 - 2 hours ago

7 by Jonas-K »»
12 minutes ago

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - 4 hours ago

12 by Catalano »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.