Forum Settings
Forums

Illegitimate (Duplicate) Account Detection System: Scores Will Be Recalculated Site-Wide

New
Pages (26) « First ... « 15 16 [17] 18 19 » ... Last »
Feb 14, 2020 7:41 PM

Aug 2019
Rasco said:
NinSheetDude said:

Yeah, I understand that now, and reviews are good as a whole, but I'm more worried about non-troll accounts being marked as troll accounts without them even knowing. I don't think that's fair.
Fair its truly far from it. Its funny cause those who defend this new change might not have their own scores counted. MAL doesn't want to lose face but in doing so we have no idea who or what is affected and to what degree. We are basically floating in space for the sake of A scoring system. Those who are for it could also be harmed while those not for it know its not cool to unsubscribe thousands of accounts from even being considered as part of the system.

Isn't that just speculation? I know it seems shady that they are not giving details on what accounts are affected but at the same time, giving details would make the system exploitable. I'm sure their system works fairly. Even if my account is harmed from the change, I honestly wouldn't care because all the shenanigans used to massively downvote and upvote were unpleasant to see.
SkullKn1ghtFeb 14, 2020 7:56 PM
Feb 14, 2020 7:44 PM

Dec 2018
Well, I thought that the scores of the top 50 wasn't really supposed to change, but well.....it can be seen now, FMA:B has now just dropped to 9.23 just about a couple of days after went back to 9.24 with the rating troll score plan coming into effect. So is it the bot issues yet again (maybe the Nux fans)? If that's the case, I hope it's taken a look into again.

@Kineta
345EdwardElricFeb 14, 2020 7:47 PM
"There's no such thing as a painless lesson, they just don't exist. Sacrifices are necessary. You can't gain anything without losing something first. Although if you can endure that pain and walk away from it, you'll find that you now have a heart strong enough to overcome any obstacle. Yeah... a heart made full-metal."

~Edward Elric
Feb 14, 2020 7:55 PM

Apr 2015
345EdwardElric said:
Well, I thought that the scores of the top 50 wasn't really supposed to change, but well.....it can be seen now, FMA:B has now just dropped to 9.23 just about a couple of days after went back to 9.24 with the rating troll score plan coming into effect. So is it the bot issues yet again (maybe the Nux fans)? If that's the case, I hope it's taken a look into again.

@Kineta

The score looks fine though, I only saw 4-5 one votes for it in the past 12 hours. Most of the votes for it are 8 and 10 votes, it's just the adjustments.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Feb 14, 2020 8:06 PM

Dec 2018
Tropisch said:

The score looks fine though, I only saw 4-5 one votes for it in the past 12 hours. Most of the votes for it are 8 and 10 votes, it's just the adjustments.

But Kineta told that the scores for the Top 50 anime are pretty unlikely to change, so going by that it looks quite surprised that FMA:B's score would drop so soon after it went back to 9.24 with the plan coming into effect.

Also 9.24 is the score where FMA:B used to be for a long time (even before the bug problem of FMA:B's score happened). It was during that bug problem issues that salty FMA:B fanboys started downvoting AoT Season 3 Part 2 with AoT fanboys also doing the same to FMA:B in retaliation. Shortly after that bug incident was over, FMA:B's score actually dropped after a long time from 9.24 to 9.23 and then 9.22 a few days before the plan came into effect. So 9.24 is the score which makes more sense for FMA:B to go back to after the removal of the bots, which exactly also happened initially.... so a drop after such a short time looks quite suspicious IMO.
345EdwardElricFeb 14, 2020 11:40 PM
"There's no such thing as a painless lesson, they just don't exist. Sacrifices are necessary. You can't gain anything without losing something first. Although if you can endure that pain and walk away from it, you'll find that you now have a heart strong enough to overcome any obstacle. Yeah... a heart made full-metal."

~Edward Elric
Feb 14, 2020 8:20 PM
Jul 2018
I didn't care much about all the brigading stuff, but this is a good update nonetheless. The best thing in all of this is that Chihayafuru S3 finally got its score fixed, so all's right with the world.

Syrup- said:
Decent update to the rating system. Far from perfect though. Would be good if MAL figured out how to deal with people who excessively rate everything they run into as a 10/9/8 (Good, Meh, Bad).

I feel you, but that's never going to change. If MAL ever enforces a rule forcing people to use the entire rating scale it will cause a shitstorm of unprecedented proportions. To those people, if you're not rating every anime you watch an 8 or above then you're simply not enjoying anime or you're watching something bad. Just look at Themousen's reply to you, it's a prime example of that.
Feb 14, 2020 8:42 PM
Dec 2015
can someone tell me who is that trash youtuber with 1m subsciber? i bet he only watches hentai
Feb 14, 2020 8:53 PM

Sep 2010
johnmaracigan said:
can someone tell me who is that trash youtuber with 1m subsciber? i bet he only watches hentai

Nux and Lost Pause both said make MAL accounts to rate IR a 10/10.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Feb 14, 2020 9:20 PM

Jan 2016
ah.. this is smell through the air on this thread is filled by bootlickers

Sarcasm and jokes aside, I am not fan of chihayafuru but thanks to brought up some justice to it, i guess.. even so, i still sense some privileges on certain animu doesn't matter, it might be MAL's True color, but who knows, let's just see..

does the new system prevent some new user to use this site "properly" in future? (i mean, they might be get over it like pingu cases and move on), like those who came from Nuxtaku, before raids IR scores was around 7.52 now about 7.6; seems like "new" system "said" almost every single of them are illegitimate users.. but to be honest iam not so sure... and thus MAL might be lost some new potential users because, [if their vote don't counts on first whether just meme on or not, then what's the point they continue this site], kind of attitude

but hey, i am not neither part of MAL's secret society member nor Nux armies, so that doesn't concern me

thank you guys for hard work, i guess..
Feb 14, 2020 9:21 PM

Jan 2019
johnmaracigan said:

I'm not helping anyone but he's a great YouTuber and a famous one too. He is just meming about the anime. And obviously MAL take his part to make the score a bit legit.

You are the one who is trash. That's why I hate some of the MAL community, very toxic
Feb 14, 2020 10:07 PM

Aug 2013
I love the detail in this post. You made it very clear exactly what happened. Thanks for this. I'm glad something is being done about vote brigading. Such immature behavior... People need to grow up. Just rate something by what your opinion of it is and move on. Stop being petty about the score of an anime.
Feb 14, 2020 10:36 PM
Apr 2018
Can we get an official app for MAL please! I would spend money on it.
Feb 14, 2020 10:45 PM

Apr 2015
shiroha said:

before raids IR scores was around 7.52 now about 7.6; seems like "new" system "said" almost every single of them are illegitimate users.

No, it was in the 7.60's before the voting influx.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Feb 14, 2020 10:58 PM

Dec 2011
345EdwardElric said:
Tropisch said:

But Kineta told that the scores for the Top 50 anime are pretty unlikely to change, so going by that it looks quite surprised that FMA:B's score would drop so soon after it went back yo 9.24 with the plan coming into effect.
so a drop after such a short time looks quite suspicious IMO.

Are you joking or serious? You know that the 9.24 could have been just 1 vote away from being a 9.23, and this 9.23 could be (and likely is) just a few votes away from becoming 9.24, right?

The publicly visible score on MAL is and always has been rounded to the nearest 0.01. As such a 0.01 score change really doesn't signify anything. These things happen all the time. Scores haven't been fixed by the staff, so they will continue to happen.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Feb 14, 2020 11:15 PM

Dec 2018
kuuderes_shadow said:
Are you joking or serious? You know that the 9.24 could have been just 1 vote away from being a 9.23, and this 9.23 could be (and likely is) just a few votes away from becoming 9.24, right?

The publicly visible score on MAL is and always has been rounded to the nearest 0.01. As such a 0.01 score change really doesn't signify anything. These things happen all the time. Scores haven't been fixed by the staff, so they will continue to happen.

I'm dead serious.

You're basing your argument too much on what "could've been". How do you know for sure that the 9.24 was only one vote away from becoming 9.23? Too much assumption based statement.

Regardless, my point still stands that 9.24 was the score on which FMA:B used to be for a long amount of time, before the bug problem of FMA:B happened and fanboys of both FMA:B & AoT started downvoting each other rabidly, FMA:B's score actually dropped shortly after that incident was over, after a long time....so 9.24 is the score to which FMA:B going back to after bots were removed, likely makes more sense. To further support this statement, 9.24 is the score FMA:B initially went back to after the plan was put into effect. And now after only 2 days it has dropped to 9.23 again, especially after it was said the scores of the Top 50 anime are unlikely to change much.

I''m not saying that the 0.01 drop actually matters much, but if it happened to take place due to the bot issues, shouldn't it be taken care of? For we all know there could maybe a possibility that the drop happened due to the Nux fans. We don't know for sure what happened yet, but still it needs to be figured out since it does look a bit surprising. That's what I was trying to say basically.
345EdwardElricFeb 14, 2020 11:35 PM

~Edward Elric
Feb 14, 2020 11:26 PM

Aug 2019
I mean if you're worried about FMABs score then there's no way it is going to fall from first anytime soon. Being ahead by .10 or .09 from the second-ranked show is a mountain to climb for other anime.
SkullKn1ghtFeb 14, 2020 11:30 PM
Feb 14, 2020 11:34 PM

Dec 2018
dewwm said:
I mean if you're worried about FMABs score then there's no way it is going to fall from first anytime soon. Being ahead by .10 or .09 from the second-ranked show is a mountain to climb for other anime.

I am not worried about it falling from the first place or anything like that, but if in case it's a bot issue, then shouldn't it be taken care of while the rating troll score plan is still in effect? That's why basically brought up this issues here, no other reasons.
345EdwardElricFeb 14, 2020 11:39 PM

~Edward Elric
Feb 15, 2020 1:06 AM

Mar 2018
Okay, when it comes to the people hating on MAL I see one question asked constantly: How much money does MAL make and where does it go to?

It is not like I would ask this question personally, since it should be Obvious that MAL doesn't make that much money since volunteers exist, but it would be good to hear a response from a staff member that at the very least explains what happens to the money.
Feb 15, 2020 1:34 AM
Dec 2015
NubFix said:
johnmaracigan said:

I'm not helping anyone but he's a great YouTuber and a famous one too. He is just meming about the anime. And obviously MAL take his part to make the score a bit legit.

You are the one who is trash. That's why I hate some of the MAL community, very toxic

nah, sorry, someone already pm me who it is, they are semi trolls or fun but i love their contents. it just their fans went overboard my bad.
Feb 15, 2020 1:40 AM

Apr 2018
345EdwardElric said:

@Kineta

This doesn't apply to all top 50 animes, this varies according to the number of votes for each anime, but an anime with +1M voters its score wouldn't drops by 0.01 in three days after it fixed. I don't care much about FMAB, but I want to know whether the new algorithm really works !!
Feb 15, 2020 1:54 AM

Mar 2009
This is great news, thanks to everyone involved in monitoring illegitimate accounts and score handling. Hopefully, the algorithm and rules for detecting such accounts and vote manipulation will be changed periodically to adapt to new trends.

Imo, anyone caught using dupes to manipulate scores (alone or within a brigade) should have their IP banned for a while or permanently if they're repeat offenders.

Lulu ❤ | My MALoween Candy
Feb 15, 2020 1:57 AM

Dec 2018
HaChiiman said:

This doesn't apply to all top 50 animes, this varies according to the number of votes for each anime, but an anime with +1M voters its score wouldn't drops by 0.01 in three days after it fixed. I don't care much about FMAB, but I want to know whether the new algorithm really works !!

Hmm....anyways, like you said, an anime with such a massive voterbase dropping in score just about 2/3 days after it was fixed looks quite surprising indeed, which was basically my point there, it could be issue with the bots again, in which it needs to be taken care of. Honestly I'm not totally convinced about the effectiveness of the new system as well, but I guess we'll just have to wait & see.

~Edward Elric
Feb 15, 2020 3:44 AM

May 2015
JustAnAnimeList said:
I didn't care much about all the brigading stuff, but this is a good update nonetheless. The best thing in all of this is that Chihayafuru S3 finally got its score fixed, so all's right with the world.

Syrup- said:
Decent update to the rating system. Far from perfect though. Would be good if MAL figured out how to deal with people who excessively rate everything they run into as a 10/9/8 (Good, Meh, Bad).

I feel you, but that's never going to change. If MAL ever enforces a rule forcing people to use the entire rating scale it will cause a shitstorm of unprecedented proportions. To those people, if you're not rating every anime you watch an 8 or above then you're simply not enjoying anime or you're watching something bad. Just look at Themousen's reply to you, it's a prime example of that.

People are allowed to rate however they want though. They're not wrong just because they have a high mean score, or give higher scores more often than you do. You can disagree with them, of course, but there's no reason to act like you're better than them.

Feb 15, 2020 4:11 AM

Dec 2016
I honestly don't know if this was a good idea after all. I would have preferred to not know that MAL's taste was in reality even more shitty than what I had initially thought.
Feb 15, 2020 4:28 AM

Oct 2014
johnmaracigan said:

Nux Taku.
And based on his latest video thumbnails, you'd think so.
Feb 15, 2020 4:47 AM

Dec 2011
345EdwardElric said:

I'm dead serious.

You're basing your argument too much on what "could've been". How do you know for sure that the 9.24 was only one vote away from becoming 9.23? Too much assumption based statement.

Regardless, my point still stands that 9.24 was the score on which FMA:B used to be for a long amount of time, before the bug problem of FMA:B happened and fanboys of both FMA:B & AoT started downvoting each other rabidly, FMA:B's score actually dropped shortly after that incident was over, after a long time....so 9.24 is the score to which FMA:B going back to after bots were removed, likely makes more sense. To further support this statement, 9.24 is the score FMA:B initially went back to after the plan was put into effect. And now after only 2 days it has dropped to 9.23 again, especially after it was said the scores of the Top 50 anime are unlikely to change much.

I''m not saying that the 0.01 drop actually matters much, but if it happened to take place due to the bot issues, shouldn't it be taken care of? For we all know there could maybe a possibility that the drop happened due to the Nux fans. We don't know for sure what happened yet, but still it needs to be figured out since it does look a bit surprising. That's what I was trying to say basically.

My argument isn't based at all on what could have been. The point is that series drop or gain 0.01 points all the time, and always have done, and that this can happen from a relatively small amount. The vast majority of series will have a 0.01 point range which they routinely fluctuate between, and changing from one to the other is in no way indicative of an actual change in its score. It's if it moves outside of that that it actually means something.

Putting it another way, half of series will be within 0.0025 points of a score change of 0.01 at any time. 10% of series will be within 0.0005 points of a score change of 0.01. The fact that the score has changed greatly increases this probability, and the actual score change (pre-rounding) was almost certainly far, far less than 0.01.

There is absolutely nothing odd about a series moving by these sorts of amounts. It is neither notable nor of even remote concern. And there is no reason to suspect botting activity as the cause either, unless you are aware of other evidence which you aren't mentioning.

Finally, them saying the score of the top 50 wouldn't change much meant it wouldn't change much from the score recalculation. Which has already happened and it didn't. Not saying that the score would stop changing for an extended period afterwards.
kuuderes_shadowFeb 15, 2020 4:52 AM
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Feb 15, 2020 4:56 AM
Dec 2017
I'm glad this was fixed. Scores should be determined by actual ratings from people who truly feel that the anime deserves the score they're giving it, not by people who simply made accounts to boost an anime's score as a joke.
Feb 15, 2020 5:14 AM

Mar 2012
It's such luxurious worry to have when series score only fluctuated by 0.01 amount.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Feb 15, 2020 5:29 AM

Jun 2014
345EdwardElric said:
HaChiiman said:

Hmm....anyways, like you said, an anime with such a massive voterbase dropping in score just about 2/3 days after it was fixed looks quite surprising indeed, which was basically my point there, it could be issue with the bots again, in which it needs to be taken care of. Honestly I'm not totally convinced about the effectiveness of the new system as well, but I guess we'll just have to wait & see.

Dude, are you paranoid or something? There's absolutely nothing "weird" about a series score changing by 0.01. For instance, the same happened with Berserk's Manga - it was at 9.33 immediately after the announcement, dropped to 9.32 shortly after and is now back to 9.33. All what that means is that the actual score is probably somewhere around 9.325 such that a small change in either direction will change its rounding from up to down and vice versa. Once it gets out of that zone, the score won't fluctuate much.

Also, FMAB's score hasn't been at constantly at 9.24 like you seem to be implying. I've been following these things for quite sometime now and I can tell you that it's score has been changing even before this whole brigading stuff. It had a score of 9.23 when I started lurking this site (late 2013/2014), rose by about 0.01 point every year until 2017 where it had 9.26/9.27 before dropping down very slowly (also by about 0.01 point per year) since then to 9.24 in 2019. The same is is also happening with HxH 2011 and Steins;Gate by the way, their scores had been decreasing but at a very slow rate (HxH was at 9.15 in late 2014 and 9.12 last year while S;G was at 9.18 in 2014 and 9.13 last year). It's all natural.
Feb 15, 2020 5:35 AM

Aug 2019
Sakurai_Aoi said:
I'm glad this was fixed. Scores should be determined by actual ratings from people who truly feel that the anime deserves the score they're giving it, not by people who simply made accounts to boost an anime's score as a joke.

I'd agree with this sentiment, however let's not pretend it doesn't happen with other anime that appear on the rankings either. It just may not be as noticeable because they come through more sporadically than what we've seen with a targeted campaign like IR.

It's a shame because had the anitubers in question simply asked their fans to give the series an honest review in good faith, instead of specifically asking them to brigade it with 10/10 scores, there would have been no reason at all to discount the scores given by their followers.

Feb 15, 2020 6:37 AM

Dec 2018
kuuderes_shadow said:

My argument isn't based at all on what could have been. The point is that series drop or gain 0.01 points all the time, and always have done, and that this can happen from a relatively small amount. The vast majority of series will have a 0.01 point range which they routinely fluctuate between, and changing from one to the other is in no way indicative of an actual change in its score. It's if it moves outside of that that it actually means something.

You do realize the fact that the drop in score, even when happening due to botting, doesn't always happen drastically all the time like Chihayafuru 3, right? FMA:B is an anime with a massive voterbase, it's #4 in terms of popularity. For an anime which has such a massive voterbase, a drop in score due to botting is very natural to happen slowly & slightly at first, beginning with 0.01. How many anime that are highly popular + highly rated, have you seen dropping drastically 0.03 or 0.04 at once due to botting? It's quite understandable indeed that making a highly rated that has a massive voterbase drop in score by a margin all of a sudden is indeed very difficult, so in case if a drop happens due to botting, it will be by 0.01 at first & then maybe more afterwards in course. So a 0.01 drop happening at first via botting is very much a possibility and can't be brushed aside completely like you are trying to do.

putting it another way, half of series will be within 0.0025 points of a score change of 0.01 at any time. 10% of series will be within 0.0005 points of a score change of 0.01. The fact that the score has changed greatly increases this probability, and the actual score change (pre-rounding) was almost certainly far, far less than 0.01.

You just keep conveniently ignoring my point again & again that FMA:B's score used to be stable at 9.24 for a long time, as seen before. FMA:B has been an anime that has been ranked #1 on this site for a long time, an anime whose score isn't seen too often to drop, after all, it's not a hype train anime like Erased or SAO whose score just continues to drop & drop in the course of time. Usually, FMA:B's score have most of the times been stable.

FMA:B factually was at 9.24 for a long time before it's score bug problem incident happened (making its score artificially drop from 9.24 to 9.10), due to which salty FMA:B started rabidly downvoting AoT Season 3 Part 2 (which them became the new #1 temporarily). As a consequence, several AoT fanboys also started downvoting FMA:B in retaliation. Shortly fter that score bug incident was over & the glitch was fixed, FMA:B score, finally after a long gap, actually dropped from 9.24 to 9.23. And a few days before this rating troll score plan was implemented, FMA:B further dropped to 9.22, which I guess we both are well aware of.

Had to refer to the FMA:B score bug incident since you kept repeatedly ignoring it before, but anyways, as it can be seen, FMA:B's score used to be stable at 9.24 for a long amount of time, so after the removal of the bots with the plan coming into effect, it can be argued that 9.24 is the score which makes more sense for FMA:B to go back to. And that's what exactly happened as well, FMA:B actually went back to 9.24 after the plan was put into effect, before this sudden drop in score happening only within a span of 3 days.

Where is absolutely nothing odd about a series moving by these sorts of amounts. It is neither notable nor of even remote concern. And there is no reason to suspect botting activity as the cause either, unless you are aware of other evidence which you aren't mentioning.

Finally, them saying the score of the top 50 wouldn't change much meant it wouldn't change much from the score recalculation. Which has already happened and it didn't. Not saying that the score would stop changing for an extended period afterwards.

Can you please just tell me that which other anime (apart from Haikyuu! To The Top, which is a currently aired anime) has had a drop in score since the plan was implemented, other than FMA:B? Haikyuu! To The Top is a currently airing anime, and scores for currently airing anime can fluctuate pretty often. But FMA:B is a show that has been ranked #1 on this site & whose score is naturally very rarely seen to drop, so it having a score drop within 3 days after the plan came into effect, especially when no other Top 50 anime suffered a drop in score in the meantime after from the currently airing Haikyuu! To The Top, does indeed look quite surprising.

And then again, I'm not even saying that this certainly happened due to botting, that can be only found out after the DB mods check it out, but dismissing that entirely as a possibility, like what you're trying to do, especially after FMA:B is the only anime in the Top 50 apart from the currently airing Haikyuu! To The Top to have suffered a score drop since the plan was implemented, is pretty ridiculous. It isn't totally beyond the possibility that Nux fans could be targeting FMA:B especially considering what took place before. I don't really know why you're trying to try to argue so hard against what I'm saying & dismiss all of them entirely as a possibility, when I'm never even claimed that what I'm suspucting is actually the case. I just said that it could be a possibility, which is why I wanted to bring this to Kineta's attention, that's all (since if that's actually the case, it's an issue that needs to be taken a look into).

I'm not interested in continuing this whole argument/debate with you anymore, since I don't really see the point of it, it's actually leading to nowhere. I mentioned this whole thing there since I thought that it could be an issue that needs to brought to the attention of the DB mods, that's all, which is why I'll just wait for Kineta's reply now.

Good day. :)
345EdwardElricFeb 15, 2020 7:03 AM

~Edward Elric
Feb 15, 2020 6:40 AM

Jan 2018
Very nice MAL team, you just gained my MAL Supporter subscription =)
Feb 15, 2020 6:56 AM

Dec 2011
345EdwardElric said:

You do realize the fact that the drop in score, even when happening due to botting, doesn't always happen drastically all the time like Chihayafuru 3, right? FMA:B is an anime with a massive voterbase, it's #4 in terms of popularity. For an anime which has such a massive voterbase, a drop in score due to botting is very natural to happen slowly & slightly at first, beginning with 0.01. How many anime that are highly popular + highly rated, have you seen dropping drastically 0.03 or 0.04 at once due to botting?

But that isn't what's happened here. It's dropped by 0.01 at once. Which is to say that it's dropped by the minimum possible amount. After 3 days. I even said that when it moves outside the 0.01 range then that's when it's an actual shift - in other words if it dropped by 0.01 again, THAT'S when it had actually dropped in score. Which is still only a change of 0.02 on where it started.

You just keep conveniently ignoring my point again & again that FMA:B's score used to be stable at 9.24 for a long time, as seen before.

So maybe it was further away from the drop before? That's the logical conclusion. Scores do change over time. Including FMA:B. Which, incidentally, was a very different score back when I joined the site. And wasn't rank #1.

Had to refer to the FMA:B score bug incident since you kept repeatedly ignoring it before

I'm ignoring it because it's irrelevant.

but anyways, as it can be seen, FMA:B's score used to be stable at 9.24 for a long amount of time

You keep saying that, but it was at most only a few months that it spent there. Certainly not as long as it has been since the bug you keep going on about. Why shouldn't the score have changed by LESS THAN 0.01 since then? And dipping over the boundary between 9.24 and 9.23 is not a sudden drop

Can you please just tell me that which other anime (apart from Haikyuu! To The Top, which is a currently aired anime) has had a drop in score since the plan was implemented, other than FMA:B?

Not sure - I don't have a screenshot of just before the changes. In the top 10 you also have Kimi no Na wa., though. I'd be EXTREMELY surprised if those were the only 3, but have no way to prove or disprove it.

And then again, I'm not even saying that this certainly happened due to botting, that can be only found out after the DB mods check it out, but dismissing that entirely as a possibility, like what you're trying to do, especially after FMA:B is the only anime in the Top 50 apart from the currently airing Haikyuu! To The Top to have suffered a score drop since the plan was implemented, is pretty ridiculous.

It's not, as per the above. And I'm not saying it's impossible that the score has been botted. I'm saying there's no reason to assert that it has been, unless you have actual evidence beyond just "oh look the score dropped by a microscopic amount". I have already invited you to provide this but you didn't.

It isn't totally beyond the possibility that Nux fans could be targeting FMA:B especially considering what took place before.

The targetting of Ishuzoku Reviewers was done because Nux told them to. Has Nux told people to target FMA:B? Nux fans aren't just a bunch of people who go round secretly trolling the scores of masses of shows.

I don't really know why you're trying to try to argue so hard against what I'm saying & dismiss all of them entirely as a possibility, when I'm never even claimed that what I'm suspucting is actually the case. I just said that it could be a possibility, which is why I wanted to bring this to Kineta's attention, that's all (since if that's actually the case, it's an issue that needs to be taken a look into).

And I'm saying it's unlikely enough that it'd be a waste of time to do so. If every single 0.01 score change required investigating, you'd need thousands of series to be investigated every single day.

I'm not interested in continuing this who argument/debate with you anymore, since I don't really see the point of it, it's actually leading to nowhere. I mentioned this who thing there since I thought that it could be issue that needs to brought to the attention of the DB mods, that's all, which is why I'll just wait for Kineta reply now.

Good day. :)

Okay.
Feb 15, 2020 7:10 AM
Jul 2018
TsukuyomiREKT said:

People are allowed to rate however they want though. They're not wrong just because they have a high mean score, or give higher scores more often than you do. You can disagree with them, of course, but there's no reason to act like you're better than them.

But I'm not acting like I'm better than anyone, it's just that I think that using a 7 - 10 or an 8 - 10 rating scale is ridiculous. In fact, more often than not it's people with a high mean score that tend to act like they're better than people with a """low""" mean score. Their argument is that if you're not rating absolutely everything you watch an 8 or more then you don't enjoy anime or you just watch bad shows. Like, do these people ever read the labels on the scores? A 7 or a 6 is not "bad", it's "good" and "fine". Not even a 5 is marked as "bad", that's just for scores 4 and bellow. And anyone can perfectly enjoy something rated a 5 to a 7, I know I and many others do.

It's fine if they don't want to change the way how they score anime and I think it's wrong to force change upon people, but I would be real fucking happy and pay way lees attention to this if they stopped this bullshiting that they use to justify their rating system since it doesn't help their case and ends up sparking lengthy and heated discussions.
removed-userFeb 15, 2020 7:22 AM
Feb 15, 2020 7:23 AM

May 2015
JustAnAnimeList said:
TsukuyomiREKT said:

But I'm not acting like I'm better than anyone, it's just that I think that using a 7 - 10 or an 8 - 10 rating scale is ridiculous. In fact, more often than not it's people with a high mean score that tend to act like they're better then others, mainly people with a "low" mean score. Their argument is that if you're not rating absolutely everything you watch an 8 or more then you don't enjoy anime or you just watch bad shows. Like, do these people ever read the labels on the scores? A 7 or a 6 is not "bad", it's "good" and "fine". Not even a 5 is marked as "bad", that's just for scores 4 and bellow. And anyone can perfectly enjoy something rated a 5 to a 7, I know I and many others do.

It's fine if they don't want to change the way how they score anime and I think it's wrong to force change upon people, but I would be real fucking happy and pay way lees attention to this if they stopped this bullshiting that they use to justify their rating system since it doesn't help their case and ends up sparking lengthy and heated discussions.

You do know that there's plenty of people on the opposite side of the spectrum as well right? Those with really low mean scores, that don't rate anything higher than a 4, and believe that their taste is better and more sophisticated than everyone else's.
TsukuyomiREKTFeb 15, 2020 7:32 AM

Feb 15, 2020 7:38 AM
Jun 2017
Calvita said:

Good for you and MAL, they proved they only want user's money, not votes.
Feb 15, 2020 7:57 AM
Jul 2018
TsukuyomiREKT said:
JustAnAnimeList said:

But I'm not acting like I'm better than anyone, it's just that I think that using a 7 - 10 or an 8 - 10 rating scale is ridiculous. In fact, more often than not it's people with a high mean score that tend to act like they're better then others, mainly people with a "low" mean score. Their argument is that if you're not rating absolutely everything you watch an 8 or more then you don't enjoy anime or you just watch bad shows. Like, do these people ever read the labels on the scores? A 7 or a 6 is not "bad", it's "good" and "fine". Not even a 5 is marked as "bad", that's just for scores 4 and bellow. And anyone can perfectly enjoy something rated a 5 to a 7, I know I and many others do.

You do know that there's plenty of people on the opposite side of the spectrum as well right? Those with really low mean scores, that don't rate anything higher than a 4, and believe that they're taste is better and more sophisticated than everyone else's.

Yes, I do know they exist but are they really plenty like you claim? Maybe it's because I've only been using MAL for less than two years but I've never ran into people like that, not even on threads about anime scores or the rating scale. I mean, sure people on the opposite side of the spectrum are just as or even more annoying, but they seem to be barely vocal. They probably went away after the whole "anime elitist" bullshit died down.

Meanwhile, in my short time on MAL I've seen way more people questioning """low""" mean scores rather than the other way around. I've seen people go to the lengths of going into other user's profiles and start some shit discussion like "do you even like anime? lol" just because that user had a mean score of 5 point something. I've even seen people questioning users with a mean score of 6 like mine. This is why I'm more miffed about people with high mean scores.
Feb 15, 2020 8:03 AM

Sep 2018
Joatiti said:
Calvita said:

To be fair getting user money is much better than getting illegitimate votes because a opinion influencer got his cult to vote a certain way. Besides that most of these youtubers have patreons too which would classify them in the same way according to that logic.
Feb 15, 2020 8:10 AM

Jan 2008
Strayfe said:
matteas said:

I'm not in support of this idea. There are many series that have several seasons whose scores differ greatly, either rising as the story progresses or dropping. I think it's better for each distinct season to have its own score rather than kind of averaging over several seasons. That way, people can for example see that the show might have a slow start but has a great development and concludes with a marvellous finale. ARIA is a good example of such case. The score of the first season, ARIA the Animation, is 7.73, while the final season, ARIA the Origination, has a score of 8.51.

The only problem with that is it's difficult to tell whether the first season was a slow start before picking up in the sequel/s, or if its because of voter bias, as another user said. How do you differentiate? I've never seen a user review for a sequel where they say it's better due to the show picking up.

Also hello other joined in January 2008 user! Lol

Yeah, I understand there is some voter bias in the sequels. People who didn't enjoy the first season won't watch the sequel so the number of low votes will drop. Nevertheless, I think there are quite a few series where the sequel is, at least in my opinion, better than the first season due to the story development (for example, ARIA, Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata, CLANNAD, etc.). I, personally, would prefer each season to have its own score and position in the ranking but I understand the argument against it and acknowledge that it's a good point. It's a difficult situation.

Oh, January 2008 fellow! We might be a rare species here now lol
Feb 15, 2020 9:08 AM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
Thank you MAL for FINALLY cracking down on this. MAL's scoring system is not a website to troll, protest or send a message to outside companies. Any person who blindly does what ever acts of vandalism a YouTuber says just because deserves no voice because they are, by definition, a mindless sheep. Keep up the great work.
Feb 15, 2020 9:14 AM

Dec 2018
Oh hey good on y’all for doing this. I’ve always been someone who said trolls have an almost non existent impact on scores, and for the most part they do, but boy has it been noticeable lately. I was wondering how that reviewers show was a 9 lol, looked like straight up hentai.

I still think people take ratings too seriously but still good job trying to keep them more accurate.

Oh, naruto is the best anime btw, and anyone who doesn’t rate it a 10/10 should have their scores/votes have reduced weighting/value, could y’all look into implementing that? Arigatou Gozaimasu
Lolicons are scum.
BABYMETAL is more metal than Metallica.
Naruto is objectively the best anime ever.
HxH 99' is decent. HxH 11' is bad.
Feb 15, 2020 9:27 AM

Sep 2011
Very glad that this is being implemented. Ratings still don't mean much to me, since averages usually don't really speak to the quality of an anime, but it's nice that meme votes will not contribute as much now.

"They escaped the weight of darkness,
to forge a path into the marrow of the spirit.
They chose to drown in a deeper vacancy,
an emptiness that quells the null,
a pool for the forgotten..."
Feb 15, 2020 9:53 AM

Mar 2010
dewwm said:
Rasco said:
Fair its truly far from it. Its funny cause those who defend this new change might not have their own scores counted. MAL doesn't want to lose face but in doing so we have no idea who or what is affected and to what degree. We are basically floating in space for the sake of A scoring system. Those who are for it could also be harmed while those not for it know its not cool to unsubscribe thousands of accounts from even being considered as part of the system.

Isn't that just speculation? I know it seems shady that they are not giving details on what accounts are affected but at the same time, giving details would make the system exploitable. I'm sure their system works fairly. Even if my account is harmed from the change, I honestly wouldn't care because all the shenanigans used to massively downvote and upvote were unpleasant to see.
It goes without saying that yes its speculation,
I honestly am a bit triggered and I shouldn't be. But it would put me at ease if I knew my score was counted lol as selfish as it may sound A full list of users who's score count would be nice (just to look for mine), My skepticism is overbearing.
But damn dude you are a one of a kind.. not caring about if your affected or not. For the sake of the site. Salute.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Feb 15, 2020 10:18 AM
Jun 2017
rohan121 said:
Joatiti said:

To be fair getting user money is much better than getting illegitimate votes because a opinion influencer got his cult to vote a certain way. Besides that most of these youtubers have patreons too which would classify them in the same way according to that logic.

You only pay a youtuber for his content if you. Now people are paying MAL for not having his opinions counted.
But I wouldn't be surprised if all the votes that count are from moderators and the right supporters.
Feb 15, 2020 10:49 AM
Dec 2015
Joatiti said:
bibi-fan said:

Just curious, how is the score bad for the moderators? (Also, on a side note, I'm now def going to watch the hot topic anime because of all this drama. This whole thing being the last straw XD.)

People wanted Higher, moderators didn't. How should I know why?
I haven't watched it yes, I probably will and won't even bother to score it

How can you say that the mods didn’t want it higher and then just say I don’t know? It seems like you don’t have facts to back up your claim

Feb 15, 2020 12:51 PM
Dec 2015
But does it matter tho??? I just wonder if all of this is worth it for MAL.
Technically, they just wasted a bunch of time on trolls....

Feb 15, 2020 12:52 PM
Feb 2020
I just want to say its not the best look to go we did this for a different reason than everyone is thinking. And if you dare say you think we are lying then banned
Reminds me of the family guy epiosde where they judge flips out and goes guilty guilty guilty because he didnt like something. We get you dont want fake account to show something that you know is a meme no need to come at right after and scream we made changes and it's not for that and if you say it is then get out! Because I said so how dare you disagree with what I said.

It's the parents going because i said so lol
Feb 15, 2020 12:57 PM

Oct 2013
@345EdwardElric

I don't know if this is related but snk manga had a score of 8.57 before they made these changes, after the changes were made it drop to 8.56 but now its back up to 8.57. So I don't think it is anything to get worked up on, fmab will probably jump back up in score soon.
Feb 15, 2020 1:50 PM
Apr 2016
Yay! Thank you so much guys :)
Feb 15, 2020 3:05 PM
Jul 2016
Thanks and keep up the good work.
Feb 15, 2020 3:44 PM

Aug 2019
Getting pretty tired of HeroHei. Claims he isn't smearing MAL yet he proceeds to change volunteers to unpaid workers and then calls them shady. Yeah, totally not smearing. He's safe on his youtube channel and twitter where everyone supports him. He's basically giving MAL almost no defense. Wonder what his next video will be. I know it's unlikely that he'll have any effect on the site but man that guy is absurd.

Pages (26) « First ... « 15 16 [17] 18 19 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» List Title Toggle: Main Title, English, and more ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Nov 10, 2021

110 by aftershinecar »»
6 hours ago

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

236 by shadowZ390 »»
May 19, 10:11 AM

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

424 by nothing_ness »»
May 5, 8:51 PM

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - Apr 26

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 26, 6:46 PM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.